PDA

View Full Version : wasted the perfect deus ex game mechanic

moose o death
25th Aug 2011, 10:54
i just arrived at my first non us location. i'm astonished that different augmentation firms make different designs in their hardware...it was kind of hinted at in the introduction and we first saw augmented people. but i had no idea how different they could get

which immediately made me disappointed eidos squandered a perfect oppurtunity for a more deus ex style of gameplay

you have limb clinics, you have different corporations manufacturing different augmentations with most likely different stats.....why are we spending praxis points when we could be upgrading the physical hardware? the praxis points could then be spent upgrading the specific augs you've bought. eg an athletic legs package could have an upgrade path focussed on speed and agility. mil-spec legs could have been more heavily reinforced and featured that icarus setup for aerial insertions. black market leg augs could have focussed on stealth sound dampening etc? and again so on so forth for the rest of the body parts.

i truly belive this was a somewhat wasted oppurtunity. everything is there but instead we have a system of being fully equipped but the systems need time to come online...he had 6 months and managed to unlock IFF and first level hacking.

jtr7
25th Aug 2011, 11:01
Since it's a prequel and they hope to make more games to fit in the timeline within the 24+ years between HR and DX, there's room for that to evolve and to give each game it's own place in the fictional history.

Biggus
25th Aug 2011, 11:01
Moose -you have all these augs mentioned above

moose o death
25th Aug 2011, 11:13
Moose -you have all these augs mentioned above

thats the problem. deus ex was always about choice. this one lets you upgrade everything. the only gambles you take with your upgrades this time round is what order you should take them.

Biggus
25th Aug 2011, 11:23
i think its not possible to upgrade them all

flunkorg
25th Aug 2011, 11:25
This one lets you upgrade everything.

No, you can't. Eidos Montreal purposely made it so that you can't get enough praxis points to upgrade everything in a single playthrough. Even if you do everything/find everything.

VectorM
25th Aug 2011, 14:19
thats the problem. deus ex was always about choice. this one lets you upgrade everything. the only gambles you take with your upgrades this time round is what order you should take them.

Isn't it better as far as choice goes, that you can chose MORE augs, rather than just one per body part?

psikoticsilver
25th Aug 2011, 18:19
Since it's a prequel and they hope to make more games to fit in the timeline within the 24+ years between HR and DX, there's room for that to evolve and to give each game it's own place in the fictional history.

Except they're not too concerned with continuity or timeline as the prequel, being 24 years before the original, does not have mechanical locks anywhere in the game and most cities seem far more electronically advanced.

Mycroftmk2
25th Aug 2011, 18:24
Except they're not too concerned with continuity or timeline as the prequel, being 24 years before the original, does not have mechanical locks anywhere in the game and most cities seem far more electronically advanced.

DE1 didn't have mechanical locks. It had nanolocks that were used to replace the security keypads we are all currently waltzing through.

psikoticsilver
25th Aug 2011, 18:30
I can then assume those were nano lock picks then?
With fully matching mechanical lock sounds! Must be like these newfangled electrical cars where they add the sound for nostalgia and so forth.

hiroprotagonist
25th Aug 2011, 18:48
I can then assume those were nano lock picks then?
With fully matching mechanical lock sounds! Must be like these newfangled electrical cars where they add the sound for nostalgia and so forth.

It's the nanites! (http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Keyring)

Cynder
25th Aug 2011, 19:42
They were mechanical locks.

The keyring was a device for storing keys in memory, these keys would then be reformed on demand by magical 'nanites'.

But the key, when formed would still turn a physical lock, hence the physical lockpicks.

The guy does have a point about the continuity in that repect, it has been discussed in various forums post, articals, interviews and it has been basically acknowledged by the design team that the tech and look of the cities doesnt exactly mesh with the timeline. Little suspension of disbelief sorts it out though ;)

-Cyn-

ReliantLion
25th Aug 2011, 21:38
Except they're not too concerned with continuity or timeline as the prequel, being 24 years before the original, does not have mechanical locks anywhere in the game and most cities seem far more electronically advanced.I'm pretty sure if they remade the original today it would make more sense. Try running this game on a PC that is 12 years old. The original DX simply couldn't look as awesome because of IRL technology available at the time.