PDA

View Full Version : Disabled gamer's plea to dev of DXHR PC version

CoyoteRys
24th Aug 2011, 21:38
I have enjoyed the little amount of DXHR I've been able to play so far. However there are several issues that have made the game more a struggle for me. My disability makes it very difficult to type and reach all the keys, so I use the microsoft onscreen keyboard in windows which allows the mouse to click keystrokes. However it does not work in games. I have a form of Muscular Dystrophy called Spinal Muscular Atrophy. It is a degenerative muscle disease. Yea it sucks, but gaming has always been my escape.

My first problem arises when I need to type a password in the PC's in game. Is there a way to have a virtual keyboard pop-up on the screen when logging into a persons PC, like the virtual numpad that pops up for entering door codes? Just curious if this can be enabled in the PC version as I'd assume the console users must have some way to type.

My second problem was discovered by searching for a solution to my typing problem. I just tried 2 speech command programs, Say2Play and Tazti. Both work great in other games. However in DXHR they are not recognized in game.

Now for the crazy part. I set up a full profile of the military alphabet, so I speak "Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, etc.", and it types A, B, C, etc. respectively. The game will not execute a command like Holster when I speak "Hotel", BUT it DOES type an "H" when I click in a password login box in the in game PC's. So it appears voice commands only work when typing passwords, which was my initial issue.

My plea to the devs: Please look into why popular voice command programs do not function completely in DXHR. :confused: It would truly make my long awaited Deus Ex experience all that more enjoyable and playable.

I would also appreciate any help from the DXHR community to get this to the eyes of the devs.

Thanks,
CR

loinbread
25th Aug 2011, 00:37
I wish that they would look into resolving compatibility problems with voice command programs, but I'm not sure it will happen. Game development nowadays is about placating the largest possible audience, more often than not. It would be great if we could raise awareness about problems that gamers like yourself encounter and make them more of a priority for developers, so that we can change this attitude!

Kynaeus
25th Aug 2011, 00:41
I can't say anything to your other problems but when you come to a locked computer you can type in the password IF YOU KNOW IT, otherwise, you hack it to gain entry without typing anything, just clicking.

CoyoteRys
25th Aug 2011, 16:23
I wish that they would look into resolving compatibility problems with voice command programs, but I'm not sure it will happen. Game development nowadays is about placating the largest possible audience, more often than not. It would be great if we could raise awareness about problems that gamers like yourself encounter and make them more of a priority for developers, so that we can change this attitude!

That's the odd thing. 99% of games work perfect with speech recognition programs. I've played tons of games with voice commands: Battlefield series, Call of Duty, WoW, Torchlight, Assassins Creed, GTA 4, it goes on and on spanning many genres and developers.

I don't understand why DXHR should handle microphone input any differently. :confused:

WhiteZero
25th Aug 2011, 16:33
Would it be possible for you to play with a 360 controller? The PC version supports it just fine.
I know it's not an ideal solution, but its something.

tnt3k
25th Aug 2011, 16:46
password? HACK EVERYTHING

CoyoteRys
25th Aug 2011, 16:48
Would it be possible for you to play with a 360 controller? The PC version supports it just fine.
I know it's not an ideal solution, but its something.

Actually controllers are worse for me. I don't have the hand strength, and finger agility required to hold a controller properly. :(

Arthur Hucksake
25th Aug 2011, 17:50
Is there any third party programs that might help?

daemonjax
12th Sep 2011, 16:31
I hope the devs read this, or that a moderator sends it straight to the devs.

I'm sure everyone would be willing to to wait a little while longer for some performance fixes in order to ensure that everyone can at least play the game.

CoyoteRys
15th Sep 2011, 20:03
I hope the devs read this, or that a moderator sends it straight to the devs.

I'm sure everyone would be willing to to wait a little while longer for some performance fixes in order to ensure that everyone can at least play the game.

Well good news! After corresponding with the Tazti developer, my problem has been solved. It turned out to be an issue with how fast Tazti was executing keystrokes. The default value is instantaneous, which is to fast for DXHR to register the keystroke. After adjusting key durations to .5 seconds the commands work perfect in DXHR, and I've been able to enjoy this game in all its glory. :D

BTW, if DXHR doesn't win Game of the Year, I'm calling for an investigation.

mazuma
16th Sep 2011, 11:54
Heh thats pretty cool, never tried voice command programs and even for ppl that dont have a dissability this might be a fun thing to try :)

Wonder how you walk or strave though do you just tell it to hold W or something and tell it to release when you want to stop ? Guess ill just have to look into this sometime see how it works for myself.

Anyway good to see youre able to enjoy the game now :)
Game On!

CoyoteRys
16th Sep 2011, 15:30
Heh thats pretty cool, never tried voice command programs and even for ppl that dont have a dissability this might be a fun thing to try :)

Wonder how you walk or strave though do you just tell it to hold W or something and tell it to release when you want to stop ? Guess ill just have to look into this sometime see how it works for myself.

Anyway good to see youre able to enjoy the game now :)
Game On!

You indicate how long you wish the key to be held down. It is really cool, and it would have been an epic struggle for me to play DXHR without it, as I have a hard time reaching all the hot key numbers and functions.

And yes, it is totally awesome to speak ACTIVATE TYPHOON and watch a room full of guys get blasted. :nut: