PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting "simulator sickness" issues from the game

jerryku7
24th Aug 2011, 21:08
Is anyone else having problems with simulator sickness issues with this game?

I pre-ordered this game and got the Augmented Edition. It was my most anticipated game for the past 10 years probably. But sadly... I find that I get simulator sickness issues when I play the game. I think it is how the viewpoint constantly shakes and bounces as I move around the environment.

Would it be possible for Eidos to patch in an option to disable the "head bobbing" of the camera? This option exists in some other first person games like Battlefield 2.

The really sad thing is that I got simulator sick from Deus Ex 1 too... I don't remember getting sick from Deus Ex 2 though. I can play most FPS games without sim sickness issues. For example... I've never gotten sick from a Valve game for some reason (Half Life, Team Fortress, Counter-Strike... no problems there.) I got sick from Killzone 2, but not Killzone 3. They toned down the head bobbing in Killzone 3, which is why I think my sickness issues come from the head bobbing in Deus Ex HR.

Please Eidos... if you can, patch in a "disable head bob" option. Thanks

Sharkey1337
24th Aug 2011, 21:11
Yeah, I wouldn't mind having that option as well. I too get headaches and I'm pretty sure it's from the head bobbing.

AlterEqo
24th Aug 2011, 21:13
Wow I've never heard of this before. That's interesting I would say limit your gaming sessions to 1-2 hrs for now?

jerryku7
24th Aug 2011, 21:28
I think I start getting sick at 10 minutes of gameplay. :(

I found out that the PC version has a Field of View option. Just bringing that option to the console version could be enough to fix the sickness issues. I'm sure it would help a little, anyway. I rarely get sick from PC FPS games. (I have the PS3 version of DX HR btw)

Kodaemon
24th Aug 2011, 21:29
I never had this problem with any game, but I've heard of it often enough. What's interesting is that for some people it's head-bob that causes motion sickness, for some it's the lack of it. First person games should definitely have a slider for adjusting this.

tet5uo
24th Aug 2011, 21:46
Many people also get this motion sickness much more easily the lower the FOV is set. (Myself included)

spf10k
24th Aug 2011, 22:16
I'm also getting headaches from the head bob! I raised the FOV, but it doesn't seem to help me. Every game I've played with head bobbing has given me headaches, luckily I've always been able to disable it one way or another. Please let it be so for this game too.

Sean272
24th Aug 2011, 22:32
@jerryku7

Do you find that your PS3 copy is incredibly glitchy? I'm getting enormous amounts of pop-in and artifacts, and it's really killing the game for me. I'm just curious if it's all copies of the game behaving like this. I've tried two different copies, and they were both bad. I hope Eidos patches it soon, because I'd really like to get into this game.
If anyone has a suggestion of how to limit the glitching on the ps3, please let me know.

neilthecellist
25th Aug 2011, 02:18
I used to get motion sickness as a kid playing these kind of games involving head bobbing. Just keep playing, use the concept of behavioral conditioning to stop getting sick when playing games... all types of games.

jerryku7
25th Aug 2011, 02:54
@jerryku7

Do you find that your PS3 copy is incredibly glitchy? I'm getting enormous amounts of pop-in and artifacts, and it's really killing the game for me. I'm just curious if it's all copies of the game behaving like this. I've tried two different copies, and they were both bad. I hope Eidos patches it soon, because I'd really like to get into this game.
If anyone has a suggestion of how to limit the glitching on the ps3, please let me know.

nope, no problems for the 4 hours I've played so far. Maybe your PS3 is dying? I dunno

Feydanon
25th Aug 2011, 03:46
It's motion sickness, take Dramamine. It's mostly caused by FoV being too small from what I've read. I get it from some games sometimes.

jerryku7
25th Aug 2011, 04:57
naw it's called simulation sickness. Motion sickness requires motion.
I'm not comfortable with the idea of taking drugs to play a game. Silence, you aug!

jerryku7
27th Aug 2011, 02:02
Could someone from Eidos please comment on this issue? Is there any chance the FOV option from the PC game will be brought to the PS3 version? Any chance of an option being patched in that disables the head bobbing?

I ask because if there's a chance.. then I can keep the game and wait for the patches. But if there's no chance, then I have to sell the game. I get really sick from playing the game in its current state. This is really depressing because I'm a huge Deus Ex fan!

Zenzirouj
27th Aug 2011, 02:29
I have the exact same problem with most games that have view bobbing, but I've never encountered a game where it wasn't able to be turned off. It's inconceivable to me that any developer would ever NOT make it an option, especially one as big as Eidos which assumedly did some sort of playtesting. The fact that Deus Ex had the same thing, yet was optional, makes the mysterious lack of this option truly bizarre.

I'm also a big fan of all the people that flock to this issue simply to decry anybody who would dare have a physiological response to motion bobbing. I'm used to people getting angry about the idea of developers working on a feature that they themselves have no use for, but somehow they manage to get up in arms about something as astoundingly simple as this.

I had the game preordered, but jury duty kept me too busy to have enough time to play. Not being able to play now is a pretty huge disappointment. I was able to get through the tutorial section, but pretty much as soon as the HUD was added to the mix I had an instant headache. Until there's either a patch or an .ini workaround, I'm stuck.

jerryku7
27th Aug 2011, 04:33
Yeah I really hope they fix the problem. I assume they are thinking it is too minor a problem so it's not worth the effort to fix though :(

Sinate
27th Aug 2011, 05:27
This is actually more common than you may think, I also suffer from simulator sickness from this game.

The moment I took my first steps in the game I instantly started looking in the options for a way to turn it off.... atm I can only play max for 15 mins at a time.

Pretty much every game these days comes with an option to either turn it off or reduce it. Please Eidos add an option!!

sea
27th Aug 2011, 05:33
Motion sickness is a common problem. You can try to increase the game's field of view in the gameplay options menu to see if it helps you out, but unfortunately there's no way to reduce or remove head bobbing as of yet.

jerryku7
27th Aug 2011, 11:37
I think I will sell my PS3 copy after I beat it and get the PC game some day

thatfool
27th Aug 2011, 12:32
I have the same problem. I normally avoid first person games because of that, but I wanted the story in this one.

Any chance for a third person toggle (other than cover)?

sotgan
27th Aug 2011, 16:56
same problem here,in games with headbob and other constant screen shakes(like knifing in bc2,cod games etc. i get a headache after 10,15 min of playing

i hate what they are doing in all new games
bloom
blur
headbob and other screen shakes for every movement
high contrast
color saturation
whole screen zoom is also a problem and causes headache,eye strain etc.

but it is really incredible that there is no option to disable the headbob in this game

ricwhite
27th Aug 2011, 17:04
After the first evening of playing DXHR, I had a massive migraine headache during the night and was quite dizzy and sick the next day. I'm not sure if it was the bobbing or just because I was staring at an LCD screen for five hours straight. Since then, not so bad. It might be good if there was an option to disable bobbing. I'm not sure that's easy or practical to do or not, but it would certainly help those sensitive to that issue.

numinous
27th Aug 2011, 17:12
Try messing with the FOV, dude.

jerryku7
27th Aug 2011, 18:20
If you were talking to me, FOV settings are only available in the PC version. I have the PS3 one. I am thinking about selling my PS3 one and getting the PC one though.

bluefoot
27th Aug 2011, 18:22
I think I start getting sick at 10 minutes of gameplay. :(

I found out that the PC version has a Field of View option. Just bringing that option to the console version could be enough to fix the sickness issues. I'm sure it would help a little, anyway. I rarely get sick from PC FPS games. (I have the PS3 version of DX HR btw)

I doubt if the consoles could render another few degrees without performance issues. The graphics push them to the limit, whereas tesselation aside, it barely scratches the surface of potential performance for even an 'average' PC.

Cerebelum
27th Aug 2011, 18:26
If you play on a PC there is a nice built in option to change the FOV. Its not in video options but you will find it in game options. I have upped mine from 70 to 90 degrees, makes the game a lot nicer.

Vinamin
28th Aug 2011, 17:23
I'm playing the xbox 360 version and I'm having exactly the same issue, I start to get the headache / feel sick after about 10 minutes also. In other games I fix this by turning bloom / full screen fx off, and adjusting FoV. It really sucks after waiting for this game so long that I can't even play it.

Please either give us options to turn off bloom and adjust the FoV or give us a way to exchange for the PC version so we can at least attempt to see if that with the additional options fix it.

jerryku7
28th Aug 2011, 18:16
Will Gamestop allow an exchange of the PS3 version for the PC? Hmm

lukeman3000
29th Aug 2011, 00:25
This is definitely interesting. So when you say you get sick, what happens? Do you become nauseous? Get a headache? Both? I'm just curious. I don't think I've ever experienced that from playing any kind of a game. Although the other day at work, I did get a little dizzy after riding the elevator..

jerryku7
29th Aug 2011, 03:04
it's more like nausea than a headache.

You can google "simulator sickness" for more info

TMM
29th Aug 2011, 07:37
Well, just to add my 2cts, while I personally don't suffer from this at all, my girlfriend was watching me play and said she had to look away from the game literally after looking at it for only a minute or two, complaining that the game's motion was making her nauseous.

She plays the occasional game, but I've never seen her play a first-person game (she played a lot of mass effect 2 and other third-person games) so she might be more sensitive than most considering she essentially has no experience with FPS. (Although she did watch an entire playthrough of Portal without complaining)

This is on PS3 by the way, as are all the other games my girlfriend plays, and the Portal playthrough.

kitsunegari
29th Aug 2011, 11:18
Just +1'ing this post really as its quite a serious issue for me too :(.

Nightcrowe
29th Aug 2011, 20:23
I often suffer from this in games and usually disable head-bob :( . DX:HR isn't too bad for me, luckily, especially as I've turned the FOV up to 100. I also find closing my eyes briefly with certain movements helps too. :cool:

Xoriat
29th Aug 2011, 20:49
Simulation sickness is such an uncommon issue, I doubt something like "fixing" head bobbing will be done. There are more important problems for a patch to fix. If first person games make you sick, why did you buy Deus Ex to begin with?

luckycarbon
29th Aug 2011, 22:00
Simulation sickness is such an uncommon issue, I doubt something like "fixing" head bobbing will be done. There are more important problems for a patch to fix. If first person games make you sick, why did you buy Deus Ex to begin with?

Such an uncommon issue that effects 50% of people? Read the simulator section on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_sickness

Fixing head bob is most likely a very easy code change, they can just reduce the coefficient in their "bob" algorithm to zero and it goes away, and add a UI option to do so. There may be more important issues but probably none that are affecting as many players.

I bought Deus Ex to begin with because I can't remember the last time a FPS on the PC didn't allow me to disable head bob.

jerryku7
30th Aug 2011, 02:42
Well, just to add my 2cts, while I personally don't suffer from this at all, my girlfriend was watching me play and said she had to look away from the game literally after looking at it for only a minute or two, complaining that the game's motion was making her nauseous.

She plays the occasional game, but I've never seen her play a first-person game (she played a lot of mass effect 2 and other third-person games) so she might be more sensitive than most considering she essentially has no experience with FPS. (Although she did watch an entire playthrough of Portal without complaining)

This is on PS3 by the way, as are all the other games my girlfriend plays, and the Portal playthrough.

My girlfriend also gets dizzy from watching FPS games. I read an article a while back that said that women are much more likely than men to get simulator sickness from a first person game. Supposedly research suggests that women were not "hunters" back in ancient days, so their brains are not wired to play FPS games. Who knows how true this is though.

The article also suggested that very wide screen display setups basically fixed this problem for nearly all the women. They setup multiple monitors so that the women's entire vision was surrounded by screens.

It was an interesting article, wish I had a bookmark for it still.

jerryku7
30th Aug 2011, 02:46
Such an uncommon issue that effects 50% of people? Read the simulator section on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_sickness

Fixing head bob is most likely a very easy code change, they can just reduce the coefficient in their "bob" algorithm to zero and it goes away, and add a UI option to do so. There may be more important issues but probably none that are affecting as many players.

I bought Deus Ex to begin with because I can't remember the last time a FPS on the PC didn't allow me to disable head bob.

Yeah, what's interesting is that the major, more experienced game developers almost never release a game that makes me dizzy. The smaller companies are almost always the "culprits" :-P

When I e-mailed one of the Killzone 2 developers about how that game made me dizzy due to the head bobbing, the developer responded by saying that it was too late to make a change to KZ2's head bobbing. But KZ3 came out and the head bobbing was reduced, and lo and behold, I had no problem playing that game.

Hopefully DXHR can just be patched so that head bobbing is an option that can be disabled. I'd hate to wait for the sequel for this change :(

One way to reduce head bobbing right now is to constantly iron sight your weapons as you move around the environment. It really slows you down though.

jerryku7
31st Aug 2011, 02:55
I played the PC version with maximum Field of View. Still getting sick from the game, although it's not quite as serious.
Just thought I'd post this in case some other people in my boat were thinking about buying the PC version.

jtr7
31st Aug 2011, 05:00
Yep, it's not an uncommon problem. Some people benefit from having a fixed crosshair on the screen (either a HUD element, or a bit of Post-It or grease-pencil, etc.) to give them an anchor-point while they still watch what's happening onscreen, but obviously that's a narrow group who do. It should be standard to disable or tune-in headbob, but alas, it's not. If you have the PC version, there should be a way to tweak the variable, but in the meantime... :hmm:

The lighting of the room you are in, including light source frequencies vs. monitor refresh rates, can contribute to the problem, as well as the illumination levels.

Pulseczar
31st Aug 2011, 17:17
I don't feel sick but this game hurts my eyes a lot, and I haven't found any other game that hurt my eyes, at least not for long periods. I think it's the lagginess that I can't seem to get rid of no matter how low I put the graphical settings that hurts my eyes, and/or the fact that everything up close gets really blurry any time you move your view angle or position. Maybe that's more of a problem in this game because this game has so much little stuff to look at up close. There are so many small objects sitting around on desks and stuff and I can't focus on any of it unless my view is pretty much still (so no quick panning across a desk). I'm having serious lag/blurriness issues with this game that is making this game hard to enjoy very much (and the fact that the game seems ridiculously easy on normal difficulty (have not tried the harder difficulty)).

timothydog76
1st Sep 2011, 00:24
I noticed some things while observing head bob in the game (and this kind of speaks to the big argument of "Do we need head bobbing in any game? Does it make it more 'realistic'?").

If you are in a level like China where you can see the bottom of the upper level wayyyy up in the sky and you walk around while looking up... everything moves. Even things way far off in the distance bob back and forth seem to move just about the same. This is just unrealistic to how we perceive things with the human eye. The further away an object is from your eye the less it appears to move or bob in your vision while you are walking towards it. It probably has to do with your brain compensating some way.

This got me thinking. Maybe first person games need to take this into consideration and simulate this brain compensation somehow. Because you may or may not be bothered by head bobbing in a game but I think everyone can agree that it is certainly not the same as what we perceive when walking in the real world.

Pulseczar
1st Sep 2011, 00:44
If you are in a level like China where you can see the bottom of the upper level wayyyy up in the sky and you walk around while looking up... everything moves. Even things way far off in the distance bob back and forth seem to move just about the same. This is just unrealistic to how we perceive things with the human eye. The further away an object is from your eye the less it appears to move or bob in your vision while you are walking towards it. It probably has to do with your brain compensating some way.

This got me thinking. Maybe first person games need to take this into consideration and simulate this brain compensation somehow. Because you may or may not be bothered by head bobbing in a game but I think everyone can agree that it is certainly not the same as what we perceive when walking in the real world.
No, it's not a brain compensation. It's just a geometric occurrence. It's called 'parallax'. I think it's impossible to make a 3D game that doesn't employ parallax, unless nothing has three-dimensional depth in the game -- nothing's size is changed according to its distance from the view point. The game could have a depth conveyance issue (size scaling off), but I have not noticed it having any such issue.

jerryku7
1st Sep 2011, 02:39
Here's about 4 or 5 more people who are getting sick from the head bobbing too:
http://forums.techarena.in/video-games/1426679.htm
And a few more in this forum thread too:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=119855

We are probably few in number, perhaps even less than 1% of your total customer base. I can't be sure. But whatever the exact number is, please consider our plight! Thank you!

INSTG8R
1st Sep 2011, 14:40
While I don't suffer from this I definitely DO NOT like headbob and will always turn it off if the option is there. While the headbob in this game is not that bad I would still support the option to turn it off.

Bakuhatsu
1st Sep 2011, 16:09
Are you a 100% sure it's because of head-bobbing and not the delay from movement input to screen movement output? I'd bet money on that that is the actual problem for many of you. I got the PC version so I'm of course not claiming to know all about this but I definitely get motion sick from the extreme delay between movement input to the screen movement output. As I got the PC version I still have some stuff to try out, such as disabling SSAO and V-sync etc, but haven't got around to it just yet. As someone's already stated, every version - PC, PS3, 360 - are taxed to the max, which impedes the frame rate, causing a delay between what you're doing and what's happening. That is - disagreement between what the heck you're doing and what the heck's going on onscreen - causing motion sickness/simulation sickness/what-have-you. What do you think?

jerryku7
1st Sep 2011, 16:25
I can never be 100% sure about what causes the sickness for me. Right now I feel like the head bobbing is the most likely culprit but what you're talking about sounds possible too.

pinheadhell
1st Sep 2011, 17:13
I played the game (pc version) for like 10 minutes and had the same issue.

luckycarbon
1st Sep 2011, 18:20
Are you a 100% sure it's because of head-bobbing and not the delay from movement input to screen movement output? I'd bet money on that that is the actual problem for many of you. I got the PC version so I'm of course not claiming to know all about this but I definitely get motion sick from the extreme delay between movement input to the screen movement output. As I got the PC version I still have some stuff to try out, such as disabling SSAO and V-sync etc, but haven't got around to it just yet. As someone's already stated, every version - PC, PS3, 360 - are taxed to the max, which impedes the frame rate, causing a delay between what you're doing and what's happening. That is - disagreement between what the heck you're doing and what the heck's going on onscreen - causing motion sickness/simulation sickness/what-have-you. What do you think?

Not for me, I run at a smooth 60fps at all times on my PC ( limited by vsync ). Personally I'm convinced it's the head bob, it affects me the most when I'm walking a straight line down a road, aka, extended linear movement. Moving while crouching (very slow) or moving while aiming ( removes bob ) don't bother me. Also, if I was having delayed input problems, I'd feel it worse while strafing and looking around which I do a lot during missions but that doesn't bother me either.

Your theory definitely might be affecting someone playing on a console if there's an input delay due to limited fps on console though, I'll trust you on that, I've never seen DE:HR on a console to even begin to guess what FPS they run at. Similarly if someone's on a PC that's not capable of maintaining a smooth ~50+ fps, they would probably experience input delay, especially while turning corners etc that would make the FPS dip at the same time they're making a rapid looking movement.

But for me personally, I'm pretty sure it's just that darn head bob. Borderlands made me too sick to play also until someone posted on their forums how to disable headbob from within the INI.

roguehelix
1st Sep 2011, 18:25
I will admit I got nausea initially when playing the game but after about 20 minutes I guess my body adapted and I am fine with it now...though I do remember it making me a bit queasy at first.
No sure what caused it...I played BF2 just fine and other games with headbob not sure what causes it...I don't remember Deus Ex (#1) having head bobbing but it's been a while since I played it so hehe.

jerryku7
2nd Sep 2011, 01:28
But for me personally, I'm pretty sure it's just that darn head bob. Borderlands made me too sick to play also until someone posted on their forums how to disable headbob from within the INI.

yeah I wonder if there is some special file we can edit to disable head bob ourselves? I looked around and didn't see anything though

dawgspeed
3rd Sep 2011, 16:54
G`day mates ...

Well im glad to see its just not me,myself i have tried all the tricks people have suggested...
I can say without a shadow of a doubt its the head bob thats making myself feel sick and woozy..

Please Edios.. would you put a option in to remove this..or atleast release the code so modders can/will do it..

I will say this.. I will never purchase a game from you guys again, UNTIL I DEMO or PLAY it..
as of right now..its just a waste of $60..
too bad to.. I had to make a chioce between this game and "Rage" (some of us live on a budget)
wow did i ever make the wrong choice!!

signed ..VERY unhappy customer

Pulseczar
3rd Sep 2011, 17:10
yeah I wonder if there is some special file we can edit to disable head bob ourselves? I looked around and didn't see anything though

I looked but all the files pretty much are in big pack files. I tried opening the pack files with WinRar and 7-Zip and neither would open them. I have not looked further into opening the files. Would be nice to get access to some config files.

jerryku7
3rd Sep 2011, 18:48
I'm going to post this thread to @EidosMontreal on Twitter and hope for the best. If any of you have Twitter, please do the same. I think we can get their attention better if we all bug them about it! Be nice though! lol.

Also, you can call into the Eidos Radio Show and leave a message about the issue
http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/Request-for-call-in-show-content
The phone # is 1-800-829-9410 (toll free)

jerryku7
4th Sep 2011, 00:48
So I hear that Deus Ex will be releasing in Japan later. I think Eidos will run into a LOT of motion sickness complaints once that game comes out there. So I think there is a very good business reason to address the head bobbing.

Here is an article about how Japanese gamers may have been avoiding Super Mario Galaxy because of motion sickness issues: http://www.siliconera.com/2010/05/09/why-do-japanese-gamers-not-take-to-3d-mario-2/

Here's another article: http://www.gamasutra.com/gdc2004/features/20040325/postcard-kane_01.shtml

"[Western game developers need to put Fine-tuned cameras in their games]. One of the biggest issues for Japanese gamers is motion sickness, something Hasegawa attributed to poorly tuned camera systems. Many of the most popular Japanese games feature constrained cameras that minimize the potential for motion sickness -- something that Hasegawa believes would behood Western titles."

I've read some articles suggesting that Japanese and Chinese people get these issues more than whites or blacks. This article specifically refers to Chinese people being more prone to motion sickness than whites or blacks. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8216144

Chinese people (like myself) are somewhat similar to Japanese people, so I don't think it's far fetched to suggest that the issue is popping up with Japanese people too. Personally I've gotten simulation sickness from Killzone 2 (but not 3), Uncharted 1 (but not 2), Tomb Raider Underworld, Deus Ex Human Revolution, and Singularity. All "Western" games. I've gotten sick from others but cannot recall them all.

The only Japanese game I've gotten sick from is Silent Hill 4.

http://www.jstor.org/pss/20182408 - Motion sickness and differential susceptibility

jerryku7
4th Sep 2011, 00:52
Haha. The funny thing is that this game was published by a Japanese company. Chances are many (most?) of the people working at Square Enix HQ are getting sick from DXHR too.

jerryku7
4th Sep 2011, 08:18
here's four more people complaining about the head bob, over on the Steam forums:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2075948

jerryku7
4th Sep 2011, 08:23
In this preview video of the game, there is NO head bob. http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/deus-ex-human-revolution-gameplay

I guess it was added in before release. One of the commenters even complains that there is no head bob in the video. Ugh :(

mi115
4th Sep 2011, 09:00
I played the game (pc version) for like 10 minutes and had the same issue.
To pinheadhell
how did you solve your previous issue with not getting past the main menu without the game crashing?

LordWeasel
4th Sep 2011, 11:45

Commonly referred to as mouselag. This is usually an issue with having vSync turned on. Try playing for a while with it off (some people report input lag with SSAO aswell). You will get screen tearing though, which again can irritate you. Personally, I am hyper-sensitive to mouselag, although I don't get sick or anything like that, it just INFURIATES me :p. As far as I know, it is nearly impossible to have vSync enabled and not experience some degree of input lag, but some people just don't notice it.

Although head bobbing is indeed the most likely culprit.

PS: I used to have a lot of problems with motion sickness in cars/buses when I was a kid, but luckily, I seemed to grow out of it. Never had any problems with games though.

peaces
5th Sep 2011, 19:08
study done on simulator sickness.

http://www.loonygames.com/content/1.2/feat/

could be as high as 50% of people can get simulator sickness. f these companies that put out games without options to make it not induce sickness.

jerryku7
7th Sep 2011, 18:30
Yeah I think that 50% is for extreme shaky cam effects though. In the video/film business, there are all sorts of tools and techs that were designed to minimize shaky cam, because many people find shaky cam to be uncomfortable or sickening. Some movies use it for small portions of their shots, like action/war movies. But Deus Ex HR is almost doing it for maybe 80% of the time you're playing the game!

jerryku7
9th Sep 2011, 00:36
If you have problems with motion/simulation sickness due to the camera shake effect (aka "head bobbing"), please go to this URL and click the "Ask us anything" button on the right hand side of the screen.

http://eidosmontreal.tumblr.com/

Then, politely ask if Eidos Montreal would consider putting in an option to disable the head bobbing.

jerryku7
22nd Sep 2011, 20:40
well i just listened to the new episode of the Eidos Montreal call-in show. Although I called in about our shared sickness issue, they did not bring up our problem :(

Curse you Eidos !!

belinda_f
24th Sep 2011, 00:06
well i just listened to the new episode of the Eidos Montreal call-in show. Although I called in about our shared sickness issue, they did not bring up our problem :(

Curse you Eidos !!

:( Klick me (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1688296&postcount=266) :(

jerryku7
24th Sep 2011, 08:20
so depressing to hear :(

jerryku7
25th Sep 2011, 07:41
hmm i think if they put in an option to disablle head bobbing, some of Jensen's hand/arm animations would look weird due to this "linking" that was mentioned. IMO they should do it anyway. Perhaps make it a special cheat code, command line input (example: "DeusEx.exe -noheadbob"), or something like that. That way no one activates it on accident while expecting perfect animations.

I know i wouldn't mind broken animations if that meant I could actually play the game!

beerotaur
29th Sep 2011, 04:22
A large monitor probably doesn't help the issue... After I got my 21" display, I started experiencing simulator sickness in 1st person shooters. 2-3ft viewing distance. I guess one cheap trick is to focus your view to a steady point on the screen while moving, instead of looking at the moving stuff.

mazuma
29th Sep 2011, 10:48
Glad im not effected by this whilst playing Deus Ex but i do know what it is like to get "simulator sickness" The HalfLife2 engine did this to me aswell - Infact its the only engine that did this to me - 20/30 mins of play and i would get headaches plus my stomache turned around. I allways thought it had something to do with the field of view tbh not the head bobbing. Ietherway i agree it would be good to have left us with the option to turn it off as we see fit.

IwantedOrange
30th Sep 2011, 00:01
When you have enough credits, just visit the Limb Clinic :D