PDA

View Full Version : How many praxis points do you earn?

luminar
24th Aug 2011, 15:53
About how many praxis points can you earn? I've researched the augs and figured I need about 22 to 30 points to get all the augs I'd like to get however if I get less than that I'll need to prioritize my augs. Also any spoiler free thoughts on which augs are useful and which are useless? (I'm going for a mostly stealth, social run and would like to get as much story and information as possible.)

imported_metal_dawn
24th Aug 2011, 16:08
I'm still early in the game, and have only made it to the first boss fight, however I believe that the amount of praxis points you're awarded is commensurate with the amount of experience you gain. You gain more experience for stealth tactics than you do run and gun tactics, so to get the most possible praxis points I would recommend playing with a stealth focus rather than shooting everything you see.

sajin
24th Aug 2011, 16:11
About how many praxis points can you earn? I've researched the augs and figured I need about 22 to 30 points to get all the augs I'd like to get however if I get less than that I'll need to prioritize my augs. Also any spoiler free thoughts on which augs are useful and which are useless? (I'm going for a mostly stealth, social run and would like to get as much story and information as possible.)

I don't know how many you can get in total, i only played the demo (europe->will get the game on friday). My build, optimized for max. exploration:

My priority list:
hacking capture 2
hacking capture 3
hacking stealth 1
hacking capture 4
hacking capture 5
jump enhancement 2
move heavy objects
punch through walls
social enhancer (yes that late, all social challenges in the game were easy without, and the extra benefits were unimportant)
typhoon landing system
implanted rebreather

and maybe reflex booster before the social enhancer, and some points of carrying capacity in between as needed.

Useles augs (for this playstyle):
recoil compensation: i use the tranq rifle, with a low reload speed
dermal armor: i'm hidden
aim stabilizer: i sneak, i dont have motion based aim difficulties
stealth augs: makes stealth too easy, could change later

Enraged Penguin
24th Aug 2011, 16:40
^ An implanted rebreather? :scratch: Can you swim in this game lol?

sajin
24th Aug 2011, 16:53
^ An implanted rebreather? :scratch: Can you swim in this game lol?

Don't think so, but it works against poison gas

throwback8
24th Aug 2011, 18:02
I'm taking care of all my hacking first, then jumping. The earlier I get these augs the sooner I can get to places unreachable by someone without them. Just a half hour ago I was on my way to a side mission and saw some barrels blocking a hole in a chain link fence. I moved one barrel and ducked through the hole. I ducked through a long narrow tunnel and came out with a storage container to my left. Hacking 2 was enough to hack into the container, obtaining a stun gun and boxes of ammo in the process. This was one of those Deus Ex moments that gives you the feeling that I'm experiencing something completely different than the next person.

Enraged Penguin
24th Aug 2011, 18:08
Don't think so, but it works against poison gasOh okay fair enough. That's pretty cool.

Riptide572
24th Aug 2011, 19:48
I really don't think there's a "bad aug" in the game. They all have their uses. I have been all over the place with my augmentations, with no real focus, and I still feel like a bad ass. I am sure the game may be a bit easier if you're focused on a particular path, but I'm finding it quite fun being a jack-of-all-trades type. One recommendation I can make is to put some skill into hacking, it makes your life a bit easier, especially if you are trying to sneak through an area. Also, don't forget that you can buy Praxis at LIMB clinics. It's steep at $5000 per unit, but I find myself using Augs more than weapons, so I just sell any weapons I pick up and stick with a silenced pistol as my primary.

loudent
24th Aug 2011, 19:58
I can't say as I haven't even finished detroit but I've already picked up like 10 or so I think 4 or 5 were from praxis kits. (I know I bought 2 and found at least 2, probably 3). I have the social aug, a couple of hack augs, all the inventory expansion augs and a couple of the power cell augs, plus I have 3 more unassigned (I like to keep some unassiged so I can fill in an aug when I encounter an obstacle that requires an augmentation).

I would always recomend buying the praxis kits when you can afford it (at least in the first act) since there isn't anyting you can buy that's better.

Riptide572
25th Aug 2011, 18:26
To answer your initial question, I know there are 5 praxis points you can get in Detroit WITHOUT gaining through experience. 2 can be purchased from LIMB and 3 others can be found. Other than that, I've probably received 4 or 5 through experience points during my stay in Detroit.

Here's the locations
Deus Ex: Human Revolution Praxis Kit Location 1

One Deus Ex: Human Revolution Praxis Kit can be found on a box shortly after exiting an elevator in the Sarif Industries Milwaukee labs.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Praxis Kit Location 2

One Praxis Kit can be found in the Detroit Downtown Apartments, inside an illegal augmentation 'chopshop' on the second floor (code to get in: 2356, then hack the level 2 terminal, then hack the level 1 computer for the final code into the are with the kit).

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Praxis Kit Location 3

One Praxis Kit can be found in the Derelict Row Ballers sewers in a hidden area accessible by breaking a wall.

Note: Two Praxis Kits can be bought for 5000 credits each at the LIMB Clinic in Detroit.

So there are 5 Praxis Kits in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, 3 can be find in the game, 2 can be bought at the Limb clinic.

luminar
25th Aug 2011, 20:27
So sound's like 20-30 praxis point's ought to be pretty achievable? Also do you think I could have 20-30 about midgame or more towards the end?

minor_threat
25th Aug 2011, 21:09
Could somebody please briefly explain what praxis points are?

Black-Xero
25th Aug 2011, 21:14

Points used to upgrade your augmentations.

loudent
25th Aug 2011, 21:15

"Praxis points" are what you use to activate and upgrade your augmentations. You start with just a couple of augs partially upgraded and as you earn XP points you gain more praxis points (They can also be gained by finding/buying "praxis software" that gives you a point). For example: You start with hacking 1 which allows you to hack level one security systems. Using a praxis point you can upgrade that to hack level 2.

ReliantLion
25th Aug 2011, 21:22
Obtaining Augs is completely different from the original game. Instead of getting a canister that can unlock one of a few choices, they are all available to you from the start. Think of Praxis points being the upgrade canisters http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Augmentation_upgrade_canister of DX 1.

It's explained during the story why you only start with basic Augs and others are gained over time. Basically to stop you from being "overwhelmed" in a sense.

minor_threat
25th Aug 2011, 21:43
Thanks for the explanations everybody, I'm in the UK so I don't get the game until tomorrow. I was thinking I didn't remember praxis points in the original game. :confused: It makes sense now!

loudent
26th Aug 2011, 07:09
does anyone have the list of praxis kits in area#2?

jkruse
27th Aug 2011, 01:41
I don't know how many it's possible to get, but when I finished I was 18 short of getting everything and I'm sure I probably missed a couple kits. If you find/buy every kit and super stealth the entire game, I imagine you can probably get within 10 of having every aug.

Risingred
27th Aug 2011, 05:50
You get a lot of Praxis. Probably too many. I'm not even done with the game yet but I have everything but stealth/cloaking/sprinting maxed out.

I have full inventory, full energy bars, full energy recharge, dual takedowns, etc etc. I do spend a lot of time exploring, though.

Jukinru
27th Aug 2011, 10:42
At the end of my first play through I still needed 16 points to get everything. I wouldn't worry about not having enough points as I had everything I felt I needed for my playstyle 2/3 of the way through and just started throwing points into whatever after that.

GARrus
27th Aug 2011, 12:48
To answer your initial question, I know there are 5 praxis points you can get in Detroit WITHOUT gaining through experience. 2 can be purchased from LIMB and 3 others can be found. Other than that, I've probably received 4 or 5 through experience points during my stay in Detroit.

Here's the locations
Deus Ex: Human Revolution Praxis Kit Location 1

One Deus Ex: Human Revolution Praxis Kit can be found on a box shortly after exiting an elevator in the Sarif Industries Milwaukee labs.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Praxis Kit Location 2

One Praxis Kit can be found in the Detroit Downtown Apartments, inside an illegal augmentation 'chopshop' on the second floor (code to get in: 2356, then hack the level 2 terminal, then hack the level 1 computer for the final code into the are with the kit).

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Praxis Kit Location 3

One Praxis Kit can be found in the Derelict Row Ballers sewers in a hidden area accessible by breaking a wall.

Note: Two Praxis Kits can be bought for 5000 credits each at the LIMB Clinic in Detroit.

So there are 5 Praxis Kits in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, 3 can be find in the game, 2 can be bought at the Limb clinic.

No, when you go to the apartment in Hengsha when the elevator goes up there's one at the bottom of the shaft, and in Tai Yong Medical you can find one in a drawer, also another in Hengsha sewers when you bust open a wall.

And the stashes of praxis in the LIMB clinics get renewed.

Piflik
27th Aug 2011, 17:16
If I didn't count wrongly (or remembered my starting augs incorrectly), I had spent 57 Praxis points at the end of the game. 14 missing and I would have had all augs available.

rokstrombo
14th Sep 2011, 07:15
I finished my first playthough 3 Praxis points short from the whole set. I was only 50 XP away from my next Praxis point. There are a few things I could have done to get more XP:

Sandoval Silver-Tongue bonus which I missed due to a glitch in the game.
I didn't learn until late in the game that hacking the registry nodes when possible unlocks all datastores (some of the datastores were unaccessible).
I didn't get the Reflex Booster aug which enables double takedowns until fairly late in the game.
I missed out on hacking a small number of keypads because I approached them from the other side of the door/laser grid.
I didn't realise that EMP mines can be used to destroy enabled robots without causing Hostile status (disabled robots mostly require EMP grenades although I found one exception) until halfway through the game.
I didn't enable any of the robots concealed behind doors in order to destroy them.
I missed out on hacking a couple of terminals because I didn't get to them before their respective operators.
I may have spared a couple gang members here and there.
I may have missed out on a Ghost bonus or two, although I didn't pay much attention to my rewards for completing missions.
I used a Tranquilizer Rifle where I could have got away with a non-lethal takedown in some instances.

I suspect all these things would be worth at least one Praxis point, and I would estimate that it's possible to complete the game with only one Praxis point not earned.

Edit: I just remembered also that I missed at least one ebook, so theres another 200 XP I could have gotten.

Kodaemon
14th Sep 2011, 07:25
Here's a way to use EMP mines on disabled robots: plant the mine next to the bot, then throw a box at it.

MaxxQ1
14th Sep 2011, 09:42
I'd be willing to bet that it's completely possible to max out every single aug in one playthrough. It'll definitely involve just a tad bit of metagaming, though.

rokstrombo
14th Sep 2011, 10:39
Here's a way to use EMP mines on disabled robots: plant the mine next to the bot, then throw a box at it.

That's using your head!

I'd be willing to bet that it's completely possible to max out every single aug in one playthrough. It'll definitely involve just a tad bit of metagaming, though.

That may well be the case. I was surprised how close I got without looking at any walkthroughs though.

Kiyanavasala
14th Sep 2011, 11:13
Trying just that right now. If you sequence break (So far I've found two easy ones the dev team expected) do you lose out on any XP over doing it normally?

SageSavage
14th Sep 2011, 11:21
There should be more useful augmentations to chose from while the average number of praxis points should (edited) stay the same or be slightly lower. The way it is, it is too easy to be a jack of all trades and it decreases the motivation to replay the game.

Kodaemon
14th Sep 2011, 12:50

I was missing six at the end, and, for example, I haven't destroyed any robots aside from the one attacking Malik, didn't take out quite a few gang members and Belltower guys and I also missed some XP books apparently, since I didn't get the achievement.

willgluck
14th Oct 2011, 18:50
I need some solutions!!!! I'm taking the Praxis ll (http://www.praxisloopholestube.com/) at the end of the month and there is only one chance left to clear this exam I have been studying hard to make it clear by taking help form various online preparation guides and tutorials. I am worried about the math section. Is this part of exam is really tough? I can easily tackle with science, arts, social studies. Does anyone heard of sample tests for the math sections. I want to solve it before appearing to make it this section of exam strong.

JSj
14th Oct 2011, 20:00
Here is a list of exactly how much experience you can earn in each area (lots of spoilers naturally):
http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Experience_by_area_%28DX3%29

gyron
15th Oct 2011, 00:21
69 praxis points, with all XP earned (241770) and all praxis kits found (21):
http://s1.postimage.org/gvnrgmaeo/DXHR_All_Augs_241770xp.png

PugPug
15th Oct 2011, 01:10

I wasn't sure it was possible without glitching, but after seeing that guy's "double takedown only" run I'm sure it's doable. You get 40 bonus xp for the "Two Against One" and there are a lot of enemies. I used a few of his tricks. It takes a lot of patience, but it works.

I wouldn't recommend it for you first time through by any means. In fact, just playing normally you will get everything you want before the end.

I would definitely skip Hacking Fortify and Hacking Stealth. With Capture 5 you can hack anything and only have to use viruses ones in awhile, even if you want to get all the datastores. Skipping Hacking Analyze goes without saying.

MaxxQ1
15th Oct 2011, 01:20
I wasn't sure it was possible without glitching, but after seeing that guy's "double takedown only" run I'm sure it's doable. You get 40 bonus xp for the "Two Against One" and there are a lot of enemies. I used a few of his tricks. It takes a lot of patience, but it works.

I wouldn't recommend it for you first time through by any means. In fact, just playing normally you will get everything you want before the end.

I would definitely skip Hacking Fortify and Hacking Stealth. With Capture 5 you can hack anything and only have to use viruses ones in awhile, even if you want to get all the datastores. Skipping Hacking Analyze goes without saying.

Yeah, I figured as much, and now it's been confirmed with that pic above your post. It's disappointing to me. I know a certain someone will say that I just want DX:HD, but I really preferred the augmentation system in DX, where it is just *not* possible to have every aug available. Oh, sure, in HR, you can choose which augs to go with first, and add to those later, but I'd still rather have the final choices reflect on the type of JC you played, rather than making him, as Adam was by endgame, a "jack-of-all-trades".

This is too much like Oblivion, or even Fallout 3 (vanilla for both), where you could max out pretty much everything, no matter what kind of character you wanted to be when you started.

gyron
15th Oct 2011, 01:41

I did "double take-downs only" run just for fun. You are right that they're not required to upgrade all augs. Actually, DTD bonuses are the least significant contribution to XP (4150 XP maximum) of all optional rewards (hacking, ghosts and side-quests) -- inversely proportional to the effort LOL. Even if you go with single take-downs only you can still get at least 237000 XP, which is more than enough.