PDA

View Full Version : Linux support - my credit card is waiting to go

m3wolf
24th Aug 2011, 12:54
Dear, Eidos.

I know this comes up time and again and the response is always "There just aren't enough customers in that market" but I want to register my support for your support of a GNU/Linux native client. I went to buy your game but decided to check the Wine DB (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=23658) and it's listed under the "Garbage" category.

I love the original so much and the trailers look AMAZING. It makes me cry many tears of sadness to think that I may never be able to play your game without installing an operating system that I can't stand (and costs me $200).

Thanks for the wonderful work you guys do. If you can find it in your hearts and budgets to port this wonderful game to GNU/Linux or at least do some optimizing for wine, I would forever love you even more.

Thanks.

Commenters: I don't mean for this to be a "Linux is better than windows" or vice-versa thread. They both have their places, I just like Linux better. Also, I'm not going to pirate windows or any of that business.

tZer
24th Aug 2011, 13:00
I guess console gaming is out of the question too?

raz3r
24th Aug 2011, 13:09
Linux is not just read yet for gaming. It's not only about audience, it is also with all the problems the come along low audience.

mad825
24th Aug 2011, 13:15
Get windows. Assuming you know anything about computers, you can dual-boot OSes.

Stop being a Linux bigot.

Gaughranorama
24th Aug 2011, 13:36
Get windows. Assuming you know anything about computers, you can dual-boot OSes.

WTF? Did you read the OP at all or do you just throw a little hissy fit every time you see the word 'linux'?

sajin
24th Aug 2011, 13:48
Wait till the game is out a week or two. The "garbage" category is simply because a tester couldn't get mouse to work. Since the devs with real technical aptitude don't support leaks/betas etc, it stayed that way. But with the real game out, it should be well supported pretty soon, considering the theme's resonance with the linux community...

If not, consider getting a cheap license for Windows XP, DX9 is perfectly sufficient imo, check out the difference at a friends box with DX11 and DX9 -> barely noticeable.

@raz3r
Crysis 2 runs perfectly smooth for me, as does Starcraft 2, Fallout 3 + New Vegas, Oblivion etc. Linux still isn't optimal for gaming, but "not just read(y) yet for gaming" is really not true anymore.

mad825
24th Aug 2011, 13:58
WTF? Did you read the OP at all or do you just throw a little hissy fit every time you see the word 'linux'?

:hmm:

I throw a little hissy fit when people cannot use their brains or even deal with a little change in the environment.

Shralla
24th Aug 2011, 18:23
:hmm:

I throw a little hissy fit when people cannot use their brains or even deal with a little change in the environment.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN I HAVE TO BUY AN XBOX TO PLAY XBOX GAMES etc etc.

mad825
24th Aug 2011, 18:37
WHAT DO YOU MEAN I HAVE TO BUY AN XBOX TO PLAY XBOX GAMES etc etc.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN I HAVE TO BUY AN XBOX TO PLAY XBOX GAMES? I said get Windows, never mentioned how :whistle:...Idiot.

FatalSylence
24th Aug 2011, 19:19
Dear, Eidos.

I know this comes up time and again and the response is always "There just aren't enough customers in that market" but I want to register my support for your support of a GNU/Linux native client. I went to buy your game but decided to check the Wine DB (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=23658) and it's listed under the "Garbage" category.

I love the original so much and the trailers look AMAZING. It makes me cry many tears of sadness to think that I may never be able to play your game without installing an operating system that I can't stand (and costs me $200).

Thanks for the wonderful work you guys do. If you can find it in your hearts and budgets to port this wonderful game to GNU/Linux or at least do some optimizing for wine, I would forever love you even more.

Thanks.

Commenters: I don't mean for this to be a "Linux is better than windows" or vice-versa thread. They both have their places, I just like Linux better. Also, I'm not going to pirate windows or any of that business.

Well, I know you may hate Windows. But it just makes sense using it. Even if only for playing games. $99 here (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986)

Plus, I mean, you're good for all future games that come out, too.

I do like Linux. I have Ubuntu installed on a VM on my Windows 7 machine. I just feel like maybe it's shooting yourself in the foot to not get Windows if you like gaming.

Of course, maybe Deus Ex is the only game you will play for a while, and it doesn't make sense to get Windows 7. I'm not sure exactly what your situation is.

Anyway, just my friendly advice. I don't mean any offense or anything.

Eraseri72600k
24th Aug 2011, 20:05
I'm still waiting on the orignal DXMP to play native on linux what ever happen to that, lol?

LastQuestion
24th Aug 2011, 20:05
OEM versions of W7 can go for $100, as Fatal pointed out. It seems to me you have your head so far up your ass being a Linux fanboy you haven't even bothered to actually look into other options. Both OS's have their place, for me Windows 7 does everything I need normally, Linux offers specialized tools like Gparted which warrant dual booting Linux. There's a lot to be said for each OS, in both fact and opinion, but what you offered was misinformation and that's just not acceptable when listing the cons for not using a certain OS.

rokstrombo
25th Aug 2011, 04:58
OEM versions of W7 can go for $100, as Fatal pointed out. It seems to me you have your head so far up your ass being a Linux fanboy you haven't even bothered to actually look into other options. Both OS's have their place, for me Windows 7 does everything I need normally, Linux offers specialized tools like Gparted which warrant dual booting Linux. There's a lot to be said for each OS, in both fact and opinion, but what you offered was misinformation and that's just not acceptable when listing the cons for not using a certain OS.

Aside from being unaware of the current prices of Windows 7 (in the United States, for the OEM version), I don't see how m3wolf's post represents misinformation. The qualifiers in the original post specifically preclude your other comments about the merits of either operating system and the operating system that you prefer. m3wolf merely indicated a preference for a Linux-compatible version of the game, and stated one of the issues with dual-booting Windows. I don't think the actual cost of Windows at this time is particularly relevant to the OPs preference for better gaming support for GNU/Linux.

Head up your ass? That's quite a strong reply to such a polite and positively-worded original post! Especially from someone who obviously didn't read it very carefully.

Teucer
25th Aug 2011, 05:11

It seems to me you have your head so far up your ass being a Linux fanboy you haven't even bothered to actually look into other options.

Wow. It really doesn't pay to mention linux anywhere near predominantly Windows users forums, does it? Even when you're exceedingly polite, and pointedly avoid making any inflammatory comments... :rolleyes:

I agree with sajin - wait a while, and wine support will improve (participating by testing could help speed things.)

mad825
25th Aug 2011, 11:52
Wow. It really doesn't pay to mention linux anywhere near predominantly Windows users forums, does it? Even when you're exceedingly polite, and pointedly avoid making any inflammatory comments... :rolleyes:

I agree with sajin - wait a while, and wine support will improve (participating by testing could help speed things.)

It's called common sense;Good sense and sound judgment in practical matters...Also being a smart arse;a person regarded as obnoxiously self-assertive and impudent. Has nothing to being a "fanboy";A fan, sometimes also called aficionado or supporter, is a person with a liking and enthusiasm for something.

Oh sorry, I'm doing it again.

Teucer
25th Aug 2011, 12:09
It's called common sense;Good sense and sound judgment in practical matters
You're ignoring, or are unaware of, the many windows games which are perfectly playable in linux then. There is (or should be) nothing wrong with a linux user asking if a windows game is playable under linux, given the games which are.

Commenting on something you're not familiar with is not common/good sense. ;)

sniperfrazer
25th Aug 2011, 14:25
I would start to play games on pc myself if Linux clients were avaliable. As it is I play all games on xbox 360 and have started really to get quite used to a pad and big tv.

mad825
25th Aug 2011, 14:52
I would start to play games on pc myself if Linux clients were avaliable.
No-ones problem but your own, It's not exactly like Windows is hard to acquire nor is it hard to install...Well I suppose it's nice of you not to shove it down the developer's throat like its their problem like the OP is doing .

You're ignoring, or are unaware of, the many windows games which are perfectly playable in linux then. There is (or should be) nothing wrong with a linux user asking if a windows game is playable under linux, given the games which are.

Commenting on something you're not familiar with is not common/good sense. ;)
Are you condescending me?! Of course I'm aware, not mention the problems that can occur.

You cannot ask if you are applying threats to it and even then its not very difficult or beyond comprehension to seek other ways.

sajin
25th Aug 2011, 15:33
@mad825
Are you condescending me?! Stop being a Windows bigot. I throw a little hissy fit when people cannot use their brains or even deal with a little change in the environment. It seems to me you have your head so far up your ass being a Windows fanboy you haven't even bothered to actually look into other options.

See what i did there ? :rasp:

Fiala
25th Aug 2011, 15:49

Wait wait wait.

When you are the one dishing out bile and non-solutions, that's well and fine, but when someone calls you out on it, they're the bad guys? Notice this: You are the confrontational one here. Nobody asked you to switch your OS or anything, OP just voices his lust for a game running on his OS.

I'll have to agree though that Windows is pretty easy to come by even for free nowadays (maybe a friend has a copy of XP lying around?)

Either way OP, it's a question of cost / gain for the developer. What do you think is cost effective, to make a game that runs smoothly on an unsupported platform with a limited customer base, or to wait for the Wine guys to fix stuff up to a working condition? You are very unlikely to see a big studio following up on a question to port to GNU+Linux nowadays. Maybe if this was the 80s, everything was ported back then :P

felipaopl
25th Aug 2011, 16:13
There's already a big hassle to support 3 platforms already, supporting a 4th platform that has little to almost no user base is basically asking for development expenses to rise without financial return guarantee. Won't happen.

Watcher24
27th Aug 2011, 00:41
I am with the OP, I would have purchased the game by now if it was available on Linux.

I understand the economics, and we are more likely to see a OSX version before Linux, which is fair enough, but add one more vote to the 'would buy on Linux' box.