PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to skip the opening ads?

City Builder
24th Aug 2011, 09:10
Hi,
I've tried common switches like -nointro to avoid having to see the intro ads for amd etc but doesn't seem to be working.

Is there a working switch that will bypass the intro ads?

Thanks,

Neuromancer07
24th Aug 2011, 13:28
Not sure about the retail game by in a prior version I just hit space to bypass them.

City Builder
24th Aug 2011, 15:38
Well, unfortunately they must have removed that option (to hit space to skip the opening ads) since it's not working.

If anybody hears or knows of a command line switch that shuts them off please do tell. I don't mind sitting through them the first few times but after a couple dozen starts, it gets downright annoying to me. :mad2:

On many of my games the opening 'videos' are stored as bik files or some other files that are out in the open that can usually just be renamed or deleted and then the game will just skip them, but with DEHR, it seems everything is packed up tight in huge files.

pha
24th Aug 2011, 15:44
Maybe someone will figure out how to browse or extract those "bigfile" archives.

FuzzyPuffin
24th Aug 2011, 20:06
It is pretty annoying that you can't skip them. They should fix that in a patch.

jaywalker2309
24th Aug 2011, 20:15
Always find it funny people want to skip our company names.. :) its a few seconds.. let us get our credit for the work done ;)

WhiteZero
24th Aug 2011, 20:19
Always find it funny people want to skip our company names.. :) its a few seconds.. let us get our credit for the work done ;)

Because it's seeing it every time you boot the game. Still, not a huge deal. Just one of those little perks that PC gamers sometimes get, and it hurts when its not there. :<

Evil Champ
24th Aug 2011, 20:29
Because it's seeing it every time you boot the game. Still, not a huge deal. Just one of those little perks that PC gamers sometimes get, and it hurts when its not there. :<

It's more annoying when the game freezes and I have to hit CTRL+ALT+DLT restart, watch, then the game freezes again. That's the only time it gets REALLY annoying.

Quickjager
24th Aug 2011, 20:39
yea if it wasnt for the fact every couple of min we try a new fix and have to restart they would be fine, but as it stands I need speedruns to check the stability of the game.

BigBoss
24th Aug 2011, 20:51
You guys do realize that EVERY piece of entertainment from movies to books to games shows the companies involved before the product? Get over yourselves.

Quickjager
24th Aug 2011, 20:58
You guys do realize that EVERY piece of entertainment from movies to books to games shows the companies involved before the product? Get over yourselves.

you do know pretty much all of the people who want to skip it, only want because the game keeps freezing and then they have to do a new fix and restart the game. otherwise 10seconds of logos? Im good with that

AnakinBerryBread
24th Aug 2011, 21:08
Yeah, we shouldn't have to see it every damn time.

I paid for this product, I don't need to be advertised to every time I start the game. Especially since I have to restart it 50 times trying combinations to fix the damn mouse lag issues.

WhiteZero
24th Aug 2011, 21:17

On successive views of the media:
Books - Skip the pages
Movies - Fast Forward; skip the chapter

etc, etc, etc

Saloei
25th Aug 2011, 00:27
right click game title when in steam games library tab and choose create shortcut. when i load the game using this shortcut located on my desktop, i get no intro movies.

1sot0pe
25th Aug 2011, 01:42

I don't think many people feeling irritation or anger while being forced to watch the same company logos every time you start the game is very good marketing.

For now I get around it by starting the game, leaving to do something in another room, and leave the game running alt tabbed out the whole day until I want to play.

ZIGS
25th Aug 2011, 01:58

Next time you eat at a fast food restaurant, I hope the cashier makes you stare at the company's logo for 1 minute before handing you the food. I mean, those poor people who worked so hard to feed you surely deserve some appreciation too, right?

Fluffis
25th Aug 2011, 02:08

I have a feeling I'm fairly average when it comes to this kind of thing.
I usually let all those things run their course in any game, the first time I start it. The second, I may look at a particularly cool logo/intro thing. After that, they are just annoying, and if I can't skip them, I'll turn off the sound (or remove my headphones) and leave my computer for a while, or alt-tab if that's possible... so there's really nobody there to give you guys credit any way you slice it.

(This is the part where I may not be as average):

It may actually turn out that I start to resent companies that don't allow me to skip. Case in point; NVidia. I've seen way too many of those breathy "NVidiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah" that can't be skipped. I've stopped using NVidia cards because of it - and I honestly mean that. Same thing with those damn "[chorus]EA Games - [breathy child's voice] Challenge Everything". It gives me the creeps. I haven't stopped buying EA games outright, but somewhere in my atrophied sense of pride, there is still a voice that croaks that I probably shouldn't encourage things like that.

Next time you eat at a fast food restaurant, I hope the cashier makes you stare at the company's logo for 1 minute before handing you the food. I mean, those poor people who worked so hard to feed you surely deserve some appreciation too, right?

I've got to admit it; I lol'd

City Builder
25th Aug 2011, 02:26

I don't mind seeing it the first dozen times, but when there are a total of 5 (FIVE) ads that show up every time, it's just obnoxious.

It's like going to Youtube.com now and seeing the same blasted advertisement video on every single video that I watch, downright annoying.

Wasn't my money enough credit? :D

ecto69
25th Aug 2011, 02:26
Like and X-Ray Tech, leave the room and come back. :D

City Builder
25th Aug 2011, 02:30
right click game title when in steam games library tab and choose create shortcut. when i load the game using this shortcut located on my desktop, i get no intro movies.

Doesn't do anything for me, the 5 ads are still there.

MaxxQ1
26th Aug 2011, 05:31
Maybe change it so that on a first/fresh install, the ads are unskippable, but on subsequent game starts, allow skipping. Dragon Age: Origins does this, and I think Bioshock 2 did as well.

Badmagic
26th Aug 2011, 05:59
I can understand the dev's wanting their credit, on the other hand disallowing skipping just breads contempt for them as every time your forced to sit through the spam the people responsible are burned into your memory.

I don't know why this simple issue isn't more obvious to dev's when with the few games over the years that don't allow a form of -nointro where the vast majority of player FAQ's start with how to get rid of the startup spam.

City Builder
26th Aug 2011, 06:41
Maybe change it so that on a first/fresh install, the ads are unskippable, but on subsequent game starts, allow skipping. Dragon Age: Origins does this, and I think Bioshock 2 did as well.

Many games do this and that's quite acceptable.

The games that I own that have really long 'movie' intro's allow them to be skipped since they are so long. These on DE HR are just ads, they really should be skippable after the first time.

Glasofruix
26th Aug 2011, 11:26

In dragon age you can check a box to never see those intro ads again, ever.

Spookyy
26th Aug 2011, 14:31
It's a royal PITA when trying different settings/tweaks to get around the game engine bugs.

libindi
26th Aug 2011, 15:16

Skip the intro doesnt mean we dont respect your company,you know,please add a option to skip,thx。

Industriality
26th Aug 2011, 15:51
Still no word of Eidos about this ? It's very simple to add...

So sad.

WREF48
26th Aug 2011, 16:22

Right, especially when you have to see them for 30 time a day, because you can't get past 1st level because the game always crashes at the beginning of 2nd, regardless of all that "solutions", and for trying to make it run properly, spending my own time, and on top of this I also have to see that retarded companies names who couldn't make a game that runs properly. You should be tied to a chair with you eyes forcefully open and made watch that intro for an entire day over and over again, so you'll get your fking credit in full.

MCDenton
27th Aug 2011, 04:54

I expected more from Eidos and the creators of Dues Ex than this. Utterly disrespectful to the people who are the only reason you have a job.

I wonder if the leaked beta had skip-able intros...

Quickjager
27th Aug 2011, 05:26
Yea I know right? I mean I just ******* BOUGHT YOUR GAME, no need to advertise to me, HINT: Gamers buy games that look like they are sufficently fleshed out and fun NOT CAUSE A CERTAIN COMPANY MADE IT!

macktheknife
27th Aug 2011, 05:31
Grr I hate this.

Get rid of it.

This game has the most logo screens (7 or 8, with some of them being longer than the usual) in any game I've played.

Woopzilla
27th Aug 2011, 05:59
Yea, it's a really bad decision to make them unskippable. I enjoy watching it once (when I first launch the game all excitedly), but then no more. I know who made the games I'm playing... I'm not that ignorant.

And in fact, when people experience bugs and glitches (which people are doing) and then troubleshoot them, they need to load the game several times in quick succession which will make people quickly grow even more resentful and annoyed with the company unnecessarily. It has more of a negative effect than a positive one... If bugs/glitches aren't fixed by patches or solvable by myself, then I quickly grow to hate and avoid all the companies listed there.

Besides, if someone is so ignorant as to not know who made the game, then there's no point ingraining your developer name into their memory because they probably don't care anyway.

But like another person said earlier, at least they aren't accompanied by those wheezy annoying voices like EA/nVidia.

1sot0pe
27th Aug 2011, 06:07
Something many developers don't seem to get is that the game doesn't start when you click "new game" or "continue" or "load" at the main menu - the experience starts when you start the game from the icon on the desktop.

Look at any Blizzard game as an example of polish and great interface design.

supersheep3000
27th Aug 2011, 06:11
If they really want us to see the adverts then do what The Witcher 2 did, space to skip the individual adverts. That way we all win.

david75sk
27th Aug 2011, 06:27
Yes watching ads is very annoying. Look at Crysis, when you launch game first time, you cant skip ads, but then you can. Why the hell I should spend one minute to look some freaking ads every time I launch the game I payed for?

Or lets make a deal. Fix your game, gave us stuttering free experience. Make game run on Win7 as good like on XP and then I could spend some time watching all over again your company logos... Like I dont know, that this is Eidos Montreal game published by Square Enix.

Well its shame that final game have same problems like 3 months old preview version.

pewpew
27th Aug 2011, 07:07

IIIII find it funny when company representatives say things like this and customers stop buying their products and that rep gets fired. Not sayin that'll happen here, but it would be funny.

There's advertising in the game for other Square/Eidos games. Get over yourself.

dafour
27th Aug 2011, 07:49
:D I dont have any problem with it too,only the ad for DDL wich does not work :thumb:

JarateLover.SPUF
27th Aug 2011, 07:56

:poke:

Are you serious? Lets say i go to McDonald's. I see the giant logo on the sign outside. If i go thru the drive-thru, I see at least a couple logo's on my way, and some on the ordering board. I get to the window, where I see the logo on the cashier's uniform. I give them money, they had me my coke, which happens to come with more McDonalds logo's on it(go figure, right?). Then i get my bag of food with more logo's on it. I drive away.

Ten minutes later I get home. I go to take a drink, and I am forced to take a look at a logo every time i reach for my cup. Then I go to take my Big Mac out of the bag and am blasted in the face with another logo on the side of the bag. As I reach into the bag and pull out the burger i notice it is wrapped in paper, and wouldn't you know it, a logo on the wrapper!!!

Good thing I don't like Mcd's fries, or I wouldn't be able to take it. That would be too much I think. :rasp:

I have no problem looking at the logo's of this fantastic game. You deserve it for your work, and since I just made this forum account to post this condescending(but true) reply, I just want to use this time to say thanks to the Dev's. Wish there were more like you guys in the industry. We need less Derp games, more games like this masterpiece! :group_hug:

City Builder
27th Aug 2011, 08:03
The difference is being forced to or doing so on your own choice. With the McDonald's analogy, it is your choice to stare at the company's logo or the huge pimple on the face of your cashier that is about to explode and blind you.

Being forced to watch (sure you can get up and walk away but I don't want to, I get enough exercise already in my daily life) the logos is completely different than looking at the McDonald's logo because you want to ;)

Woopzilla
27th Aug 2011, 08:28
Yea, that analogy doesn't really work at all.

I don't care about seeing a brand name all over it, it's not like the big mac is inedible until 15 seconds have passed of being forced to look at it.

If anything, they could've had the main menu absolutely plastered with their logo and I wouldn't have been bothered since it's not impairing my ability to just get on and play the game (or bug test incessantly).

I wonder how many of those defending Eidos would skip the videos if they had a choice.

Quickjager
27th Aug 2011, 08:47
Yea, that analogy doesn't really work at all.

I don't care about seeing a brand name all over it, it's not like the big mac is inedible until 15 seconds have passed of being forced to look at it.

If anything, they could've had the main menu absolutely plastered with their logo and I wouldn't have been bothered since it's not impairing my ability to just get on and play the game (or bug test incessantly).

I wonder how many of those defending Eidos would skip the videos if they had a choice.

this post is gold loled my ass off.

And to answer your question everyone would skip it.

Of you put my time in a spreadsheet it would probably be two hours of logo viewing fifteen of troubleshooting four of gameplay, there is something wrong with those ratios

Nitrius
27th Aug 2011, 09:02
Yes, skip-able intro please. Don't mind that the first start up the intro is forced, but afterwards, let us skip it with a key, or some setting in the options or something else.

MissStabby
27th Aug 2011, 09:06

Well about that "few seconds"...

A few seconds is 2 or 3, maybe 5...

Not 21 seconds!
(yes i've clocked it to see how long it was)

This is a fairly big game, I already have restarted it more than 5 times in my current playthrough.
count on that the average player that doesnt sit behind the computer for more than 2 hours has to see your logo about 20 or 30 times.
That amounts to about 10 minutes spent watching black screens filled with your company logos.

Please add something so that the people with sufficient technical skills can atleast skip the logos very deliberately by adding something to the shortcut link.
Or just test if one of the savegames has completed the basic ingame tutorial and then make it "optional" to skip it.

Please Eidos, why has your only response been about finding something that is completely normal "funny"???
Reply with something a little more usefull...

like:

"We're working on a patch for that"
"You can skip it by hitting th Q the Z the P and the M at the sametime, while punching 5 in the numpad three times."

Or if you really have to:
"We at Eidos dont care about our clients, we like that they payed for our games, but that doesnt mean we have to support them... so no changes to the game."

Also, i'm still trying to get 3D stereoscopic gameplay to work (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=120154).
and if the game crashes, everytime you try a new setting, you lose a lot of time in it!
so testing out 3 different settings can take more than 5 minutes...

Woopzilla
27th Aug 2011, 09:10
this post is gold loled my ass off.

And to answer your question everyone would skip it.

I don't know if you're agreeing or disagreeing... and yea, my last comment was rhetorical. I'm in support of skipping.

City Builder
27th Aug 2011, 09:44
Yeah well, why would somebody Not skip it if they had a chance to do so, right?

Thank goodness that most of my household products don't make me wait and watch advertisements for the companies that make them before I can actually use the item....

Put bread in the toaster oven and have to wait for 20 seconds while the black and dekker ad shows on the front door before it will work.

Can't open the refridgerator for 20 seconds until I watch the Sears logo on the front door.

Can't start my car until the Honda logo shows for 20 seconds on the navigation unit.
;)

I think it's worse for me because I play in very short play times, so I might start up the game and play for 20 minutes, then do that many times per day and I've definitely had my fill of your Advertisements Eidos.

brucek2
27th Aug 2011, 10:07
Its a good thing I like the music so much or it'd be much worse.

Seriously, its pretty bad form to not have the logos be skippable after the first time. Especially when at least some of them aren't really even consumer brands.

MissStabby
27th Aug 2011, 19:50
wouldnt it be possible to hack/patch the gamelauncher?

Quickjager
27th Aug 2011, 20:18
wouldnt it be possible to hack/patch the gamelauncher?

Not without circumventing Steam which if caught would lead to a perma-ban, too big risk too low reward

BigBoss
27th Aug 2011, 22:14
:poke:
Then I go to take my Big Mac out of the bag and am BLASTED in the face with another logo on the side of the bag.

lol

iNeedzHelp
28th Aug 2011, 18:58
Ugh, so annoying! Please give us something, anything. An undocumented command line switch would be plenty.

I take frequent breaks when playing, and seeing all those intros over and over again... it's about as enjoyable as I imagine punching through a wall would be.

Without arm prosthesis, I mean.

atomMan
28th Aug 2011, 19:08

How about getting your credits 20/day, or each time someone posts fix for stuttering performance,
and I restart new game just to see it was... "fix"

brucek2
28th Aug 2011, 20:23
Also, these stop looking like "credit for work done" when the first four are from companies that probably made no direct creative contributions to the game.

AMD (2 slots), Dolby, and Scaleform may have provided tools that helped the game developer in some unique manner -- or, more likely, just a cash incentive -- but to an average player they do not seem like they deserve to appear in the opening shots every single time the game is started. By the time Eidos rolls around in the 5th slot, we're out of credit appreciation mode and into being pissed off at delay of game mode.

Can you imagine if you went to the movies and first logos to appear were from the Panasonic movie camera division, Avid's editing suite, and the company that did the food catering? It would never happen. Not sure how it got so turned around here.

By the way, are there actually any Dolby sound enhancements available in game? I don't see any in my sound menu but perhaps that's a result of my sound card and/or settings? (I use 2 channel digital out because I use headphones and I'd rather have my receiver do the D/A conversion.)

Fursnake
28th Aug 2011, 20:57

It's more than a few seconds, its almost 20 seconds...just sayin'.

Sure thing, I credit you for making a really good game, now put all those logos on one slash screen and let us skip all the screens so we can give you the best kind of credit available...playing the game.

Ooooooooo, I'm so terrrrrrrible! :rolleyes:

flib
28th Aug 2011, 21:20
I sure hope that they don't expect us to give them more money for DLC before they fix things like this.

10hellfire01
28th Aug 2011, 23:20
It's more than a few seconds, its almost 20 seconds...just sayin'.

Sure thing, I credit you for making a really good game, now put all those logos on one slash screen and let us skip all the screens so we can give you the best kind of credit available...playing the game.

Ooooooooo, I'm so terrrrrrrible! :rolleyes:

Yep about that. I would like to see it force you to watch at least once, then every time you load the game you can skip it from the beginning...

N3X15
29th Aug 2011, 04:37

And although you do deserve credit for the years of work put into this product, many people half-heartedly expect there to be an introductory movie after the corporate credit screens and let them play on the first playthrough of the game (such as in UT2004 and many of the games that took place before it). I'm not saying there SHOULD be, but we do usually see the screens that credit your company. After that, it's redundant as hell and the sequence ages quickly.

My advice would be to force the user to watch it the first time, and then set a HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry value to allow them to skip it afterwards via a key press.

rubberchimp
29th Aug 2011, 15:14

Always find it unfunny that games developers make awesome games and then force us to watch annoying logos *every time* we want to play their awesome game. Once is fine, but why every damn time? We haven't forgotten since the last time. It's especially infuriating when you're restarting multiple times to troubleshoot a technical issue (lol surprise.. your game crashes too).

Okay.. if I wanted Eidos investors to be forced to watch my logos every time they open their wallets, what would you think of that? It's just a few seconds.. let me get my credit for the money I paid you ;)

Seriously, just let us get straight to the game and put your damn logos on the between-level loading screens instead.. we spend much more time staring at those.

LordWeasel
29th Aug 2011, 16:34
Always find it unfunny that games developers make awesome games and then force us to watch annoying logos *every time* we want to play their awesome game. Once is fine, but why every damn time? We haven't forgotten since the last time. It's especially infuriating when you're restarting multiple times to troubleshoot a technical issue (lol surprise.. your game crashes too).

Okay.. if I wanted Eidos investors to be forced to watch my logos every time they open their wallets, what would you think of that? It's just a few seconds.. let me get my credit for the money I paid you ;)

Seriously, just let us get straight to the game and put your damn logos on the between-level loading screens instead.. we spend much more time staring at those.

Careful now, you might give publishers some fancy idea about artificially lengthening loading screens, so we get a good long look at their logo :P

Betterthantechsupport
30th Aug 2011, 05:42
Hi guys, here's how to skip the intro of all those annoying company names.
You paid for it, you shouldn't have to wait, and that's what the end credits are for anyway. :)

Replace your patch0.000 file with this one here (http://www.mediafire.com/?9w9qr7um9zzodtu).

It is located under
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\deus ex - human revolution

You can now skip the intro by pressing Enter. Enjoy. :D

flib
30th Aug 2011, 08:28
You paid for it, you shouldn't have to wait, and that's what the end credits are for anyway. :)

Replace your patch0.000 file with this one here (http://www.mediafire.com/?9w9qr7um9zzodtu).

It is located under

Confirmed legit! Thanks for that. :)

I recommend backing up the original patch0.000, anyways, just in case.

libindi
30th Aug 2011, 10:42
I dont want to know who made this horrible console port again and again,so let us skip the ads.

1sot0pe
30th Aug 2011, 15:24
I've unpacked both versions of patch0.000 and compared the contents to see what has changed.

The patched file is a couple of MB larger with the same number of files (35).

The size difference is due to the following file being changed:
\default\pc-w\globaloutershell.drm

Original size is 2,861,740
Modified size is 8,236,476

Betterthantechsupport
2nd Sep 2011, 03:20
For sure.

Moth
2nd Sep 2011, 05:50

It is located under

Thanks!
What program did you use for unpacking?

Mike89
2nd Sep 2011, 06:32
Funny how the game makers of this game allow skipping cutscenes but force you to watch over and over the beginning intros. They apparently don't mind you skipping parts of the game itself but do mind you not watching their ads. That's messed up. I guess it's corporate ego.

sea
2nd Sep 2011, 07:12
I wonder if Eidos will pay me to watch the ads I send them?

jaywalker2309
2nd Sep 2011, 07:34
What this has taught me is that I can't trust Eidos to release a game without this kind of crap included (seemingly intentionally).

While I preordered this game, I'll wait for their games to be released in the future and checking forums to see if they've done the same before purchasing.

Eidos, please officially fix this and don't do it again.

All this is doing is getting people pissed off and increasing the likelihood of them pirating your future titles out of spite.

This kind of crap? what? our own legal screens and company logos? erm, tell me ONE piece of visual media you DONT see the company names appear.. movies? nope they are there, tv shows, erm there too..

to advocate piracy JUST because you cannot skip a few seconds of `heres who made the product you are about to play` is to me personally a bit much.. yeh being able to skip on future plays is fair enough, but some people take things WAY too far in their feeling we're somehow doing something wrong. :)

Driber
2nd Sep 2011, 08:00
Dang, J, I just removed that post :whistle:

btw, am pretty sure by crap he means the forced watching, not the logos themselves :)

(not condoning his choice of words, just sayin')

For now I get around it by starting the game, leaving to do something in another room, and leave the game running alt tabbed out the whole day until I want to play.

Wow, you must live somewhere where electricity costs the same as air :p

LordWeasel
2nd Sep 2011, 09:35
I do not agree that this is in any way a bad console port (this is about as good as it's ever going to get for a game that's not primarily developed for PC, and I think Nixxes did a good job with it), and the game itself is a worthy successor to the legendary original.

It does however have it's fair share of issues, and being able to skip the intros after watching them once is a must. You must understand how infuriating it is to just sit there and wait for 20 seconds every single time you start the game while troubleshooting? Those 20 seconds also break the flow quite significantly if you crash, and just want to get straight back into the action.

I am having no major problems with the game, and they are not a big deal to me, but I can empathize with those who do. I suggest you try the same, instead of insisting they are perfect the way they are.

dimljajvbu
2nd Sep 2011, 12:01
Here. (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=119886)

ProdWithTheProd
2nd Sep 2011, 12:08
I have to agree with the general sentiments in this thread.

That most other games insist on doing something so tedious is not a valid argument for the persistence of such a practice.

As others have observed; it has nothing whatsoever to do with giving credit where credit is due. We KNOW who made the game. It's on the box. It was in the previews. And when we finish the game, we'll get to see all the individual names of those involved.

One could argue that we must sit through corporate logos whenever we watch a film. But how many films are longer than 2-3 hours? How many films require multiple viewings in order to reach the end?

On an average day, I will load up any given game at least twice, due to the basic need to go and eat etc. Many times, if the game crashes or I'm trying to fix a problem, that number will increase dramatically. Being forced to stare at an nVidia logo when I have an ATI card, or being forced to stare at an ATI logo when I ALREADY OWN ONE OF THEIR PRODUCTS, is rather ridiculous. These aren't adverts, nor are they giving credit to anyone; they're just a corporate pissing contest. If the corporations could, they would love nothing more than to have the right to climb in through your window and paint their logo across your forehead while you sleep.

The sad thing is, in all likelihood, we can't blame the developers. This is the kind of nonsense that the publishers insist on.

And therein lies the greatest irony of all:
In a game whose story revolves around the evils of big corporations, we're forced to stare at corporate propaganda every time we load it up.

Remember the good old days of Deus Ex 1, where the main menu would simply appear over the *top* of the logos? And where the logos were integrated into game's frontend in a more artistic, aesthetic way?

Moth
2nd Sep 2011, 13:58
Dang, J, I just removed that post :whistle:

That post was the solution to this thread's subject. Just letting everyone know that the answer is being censored as the forum moderators are unable to verbally put their foot down. Waiting 20 seconds for the game to start doesn't bother me and I think credit is much due for the devs (Screw borg publishers) but for the majority who experience constant crashing, this will only incite more frustration.

Eidos, I would be equally indignant when it comes to the consumers being so insulting and undeserving but just remember its the final product itself in YOUR eyes that should matter most. Not that of the mindless masses. At least allow skipping of the ads until the game is playable.

SprSkl
2nd Sep 2011, 15:08
I think too that the logos could be unskipable for the first few times, but after that you should be able to skip them, at least for the reason that the company actually gets bad reputation for it. As someone earlier said, I too hate NVidia for their very usual unskipable logo screens. It's bad.

Driber
2nd Sep 2011, 16:36
That post was the solution to this thread's subject. Just letting everyone know that the answer is being censored as the forum moderators are unable to verbally put their foot down.

What the hell are you talking about, I deleted no such thing.

Get your facts straight before you blab your mouth.

ARustyFirePlace
2nd Sep 2011, 17:25
What the hell are you talking about, I deleted no such thing.

Get your facts straight before you blab your mouth.

you just said you deleted the post....

Driber
2nd Sep 2011, 17:38
you just said you deleted the post....

Moth claimed that the post I deleted contained "the solution on how to skip the logos", which is a total nonsense.

The post in question I deleted because it contained piracy discussion. It's actually still present in J's quote, so you can see for yourself :)

Yautjatraker/Albatraous
2nd Sep 2011, 19:46
I don't mind one or two, but the more "teams" put into the opening, the more I get frustrated.

Just give me the publisher and the developer. I don't need to know it's optimised for Amd or uses havok or anything.

How many films tell you what rendering tech they use before the film? or the makeup they put on the actors?

Edit: I have no problem with companies being proud of what they have done, but give us the option to skip it, at least on the second+ playthrough.

tet5uo
2nd Sep 2011, 20:26

I start to breed contempt for the company to be honest when forced to watch unskippable ads before my loading screen.

Don't get too full of yourself guys, like someone else so aptly put it,

Wasn't my money enough credit?

Erogath
2nd Sep 2011, 20:49
Correct. The game was paid for

and each individual should be recognized in the credits

Why would individual devs care about whether the parent company's logo is at the beginning? Everyone got credit.

kall
2nd Sep 2011, 22:18
Guys, they just want you to see each time who's responsible for Forking up your game.

rwhit85
3rd Sep 2011, 00:00

Really? I mean, really? That's actually why? Honestly, I'd have rather heard "It was a technical oversight" or "We were locked into it by contract from said companies - we didn't have a choice". "We don't want you to forget who blessed your life with this masterpiece" just doesn't really fly for me.

Didn't you guys get credit when I *paid* you for the game? I appreciate a great game, and I definitely give you guys credit (and you got your credit in the form of $).

Forced intros are one of my major pet peeves. This one is particularly annoying - in most games with forced intros, I can tab out for a few seconds and do something not annoying, tab back in and they're done. And at 21 seconds, that's enough time to check my email or see if there are any new posts on a forum. With DX:HR, if you tab out during the intros, the intros PAUSE (at least for me). Seriously. You have to make them PAUSE in case somebody tabs out, so when they tab back in they get to finish watching them?

For another analogy you can likely relate to - imagine that every time you get into your car and turn the key, the transmission locks for about 20 seconds. During this time, your dashboard displays the logos of a half dozen major companies that contributed to the construction of your car. After they're done, the transmission unlocks and you're now allowed to drive your car!

ajd155
3rd Sep 2011, 00:47
I believe in letting the credits roll myself. They did work on it, they deserve their time.

HOWEVER, the problem comes when the game is crashing constantly, as some users are reporting. Then, what was supposed to be a credit is a mocking reminder of just who screwed the pooch on this one.

So please, watch it 1000 times, and remember who did this to you.

Remnant
3rd Sep 2011, 02:06
I wouldn't mind the no-skip credits if it was only for the very first load of the game. After that, I just want to jump right back in and play.

I've seen them roll so many times now I'm just ignoring it anyways, so it has defeated its own purpose long before now.

brucek2
3rd Sep 2011, 03:05
They did work on it, they deserve their time.
I doubt AMD, Scaleform, and Dolby worked on it in any meaningful way.

If the intro roll was limited to Eidos and SquareEnix I don't believe there'd be long complaint-filled threads like this one.

If gamers don't make their voices heard that forced intros for six companies taking over 20 seconds is too much, then they can probably expect to see next year's games push to 10 companies and 30 seconds, and so on and so on, until the breaking point is reached. If anyone still watches DVDs try putting one in and see what I mean.

While I hope people will pay for this game because its exactly the kind of game I'd like to see more made of, it is frustrating to know that its the people who are pirating it that are the ones who don't get stuck with these ads. They're probably also getting all the available bonus content while of course those of us who purchased it legally get only the fraction that their particular retailer provided. I pre-ordered my Aug Edition from Steam, not having done a ton of research, and have been continually amazed/pissed since to hear how much other stuff people who purchased from places other than Steam got. (Yes, I know, my fault, how did it not occur to me that of course I should extensively compare the differing bonuses from different outlets for what I thought was the same SKU since it had the same name, etc.)

I don't understand why publishers mistreat their paying customers this way.

Driber
3rd Sep 2011, 09:28
Seriously. You have to make them PAUSE in case somebody tabs out, so when they tab back in they get to finish watching them?

I seriously doubt this was done intentional, like you are suggesting.

Doesn't the whole game pause for you when you alt tab to desktop, like, when you're in a mission?

The majority of PC games I've played pause when I alt tab to desktop. It just makes sense.

JSj
3rd Sep 2011, 13:19
Well, I came to this thread hoping to find a way to skip the extremely long and irritating intro ads. After reading through it, I am very disappointed and have decided not to buy any DLC or any other Eidos games until this is fixed.

LordWeasel
3rd Sep 2011, 13:42
Well, I came to this thread hoping to find a way to skip the extremely long and irritating intro ads. After reading through it, I am very disappointed and have decided not to buy any DLC or any other Eidos games until this is fixed.

I must admit, beeing "active" in at least 3 large separate bug/issue/technical threads, DLC and additional content is the last thing on my mind at the moment.

JSj
3rd Sep 2011, 14:02
I'm not too concerned about bugs and technical problems. Modern games are so complex, and the variety of gamers' hardware and software so great that these problems are inevitable. Whatever the problems are, I'm sure they'll get fixed in future patches.

But judging from the replies here, Eidos doesn't even recognize that the unskippable intro spam is a problem, and then the only way to try to make them listen is to vote with your wallet.

1sot0pe
3rd Sep 2011, 16:04
to advocate piracy JUST because you cannot skip a few seconds of `heres who made the product you are about to play` is to me personally a bit much.. yeh being able to skip on future plays is fair enough, but some people take things WAY too far in their feeling we're somehow doing something wrong. :)

Ok, rereading my previous post (contained in post 67 by jay), my tone was harsh and hostile, and for that I apologize.

At the same time, I do stand by what I said and believe that you've misinterpreted my intent.

I was not advocating piracy - I was describing a probable cause and effect.
"If you do X, then Y is a likely result."

It was not written as an encouragement for others to pick up the game illegally (it's something I could have done my self but did not do, and in the same quote I said that I would either purchase or not purchase in the future - I didn't say I would pirate).

Anyhow, that's all I'm saying on this topic.

I've enjoyed the game otherwise.

rwhit85
3rd Sep 2011, 19:30
I seriously doubt this was done intentional, like you are suggesting.

Doesn't the whole game pause for you when you alt tab to desktop, like, when you're in a mission?

The majority of PC games I've played pause when I alt tab to desktop. It just makes sense.

Yes, generally single player games do pause when I alt tab to the desktop. But that's when you're in game... the main purpose of the pause is to prevent you from dying or something going wrong due to an accidental alt-tab/windows key. I'm not sure how pausing the intro credits keeps my game going smoothly.

I'd like to believe that it wasn't intentional, but judging by another moderator's earlier response:

I can't help but think it's intentional. Apparently the devs *really* want us to watch that intro, every single time we start the game - which can be quite often due to crashes. (Crashes are also pretty much expected in a game's early days, so that's not a big issue with me either) Combine the two.. and bleh.

Really, I'd prefer to hear that this is because of laziness/sloppiness. That's to be expected every so often, even in major triple A games - you can't guarantee you've covered every single base.

Salah-ad Din
3rd Sep 2011, 20:24

Of course! But I hope it's okay with you that, after the first few dozen game starts, I will forever associate your company name with annoying credits I cannot cancel. :rolleyes:

I mean, what do you want me to remember: The brilliant game - and it is brilliant! Or the ads / credits? Come on now...

lukeman3000
3rd Sep 2011, 21:06
This is just stupid. One time is good enough -- they should be skippable after that. That's what the credits (at the END of the game) or for. And even those are skippable in many games! Nothing short of an oversight, like many other issues this game is plagued with. I'm getting tired waiting for a patch to make this game playable.

sea
3rd Sep 2011, 22:52
The issue isn't even when you have the developer logos there. I'd like to skip them after playing the game for 30 hours or more, but whatever, I can handle it. If I was crashing every 20 minutes, and had to wait an extra 20 seconds every time I wanted to start the game, well, I'd be a bit more upset at all the wasted time.

What annoys me more is the unskippable AMD advertisement you see the second you start the game up. No offense, but paying to be advertised to is not exactly my idea of fun.

10hellfire01
3rd Sep 2011, 22:59
...What annoys me more is the unskippable AMD advertisement you see the second you start the game up. No offense, but paying to be advertised to is not exactly my idea of fun.

At least the AMD Gaming logo looks cooler in my opinion compared to the other ones. Only killjoy is that big red background.

rwhit85
5th Sep 2011, 01:58
Bump... the further I get into the game, the more I crash. The intros are really annoying after the third game restart in thirty minutes.

Frag_Dad
5th Sep 2011, 05:21
I completely agree - I don't mind videos at the start. But if you are troubleshooting, it is incredibly frustrating to have to sit through unskippable movies just to test something that, otherwise, would take all of 30 seconds.

Repeating that 10 or so times in a row would, I'm sure, annoy the hell out of anybody. I know it annoys me to no end.

Demanufacturer
5th Sep 2011, 07:59
The opening ads would not be an issue, if you weren't forced to endure them so often due to the game crashing.

JSj
5th Sep 2011, 08:02
The opening ads would not be an issue, if you weren't forced to endure them so often due to the game crashing.

Once you've seen them more than a dozen times or so, it's still annoying to have to wait for almost half a minute of ads even if you only start the game once in a day.

tZer
5th Sep 2011, 10:17
It's funny, because in the leak the logos were skippable ;)

rwhit85
5th Sep 2011, 15:42
It's funny, because in the leak the logos were skippable ;)

Haha, so it was a completely conscious decision to waste our time. That's awesome.

MattyST
5th Sep 2011, 16:24
I take no credit for this at all but thought this link would be of interest http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=121245

The mod unlocks the debug mode which amongst many other things skips the opening sequence!

flib
5th Sep 2011, 17:21
Bumping with solution, since many don't seem to notice it.

It is located under

Mike89
5th Sep 2011, 18:29
Yep it works! Take a look Eidos, it's what you should have done!

rwhit85
5th Sep 2011, 18:43
Bumping with solution, since many don't seem to notice it.

Is there any way to do this if you already have a patch0.000 mod?

flib
5th Sep 2011, 19:07
Is there any way to do this if you already have a patch0.000 mod?

I don't have any experience with it, but I'm guessing that you could unpack the two patch0.000's, get the files you need from them and repack them.
What I read earlier in this thread is that the no-intro mod only changes one file, so it would probably be fairly easy to move that into whatever one you're using.