PDA

View Full Version : Head bob

Gibson
24th Aug 2011, 04:22
I have the PC version and I'm unable to play it because of the constant head bobbing. If anyone who works at Eidos reads this, can you please either add the option to turn it off (or tell me a start-up flag I can use to remove it)?

Otherwise it's a wasted purchase and I'll be unable to experience the game.

spf10k
24th Aug 2011, 21:48
Same here. I noticed the head bobbing immediately. I get headaches from it after a short while. Please give us the ability to remove it.

Saloei
24th Aug 2011, 22:19
How can I turn it ON? I like this effect.

timothydog76
24th Aug 2011, 22:36
I also find the head bobbing effect to be too extreme. I would love a way to either turn it off or make it less drastic. In a game where there is so much fine detail to look at while walking around, the awkward bobbing makes things very difficult.

Mizkreant
25th Aug 2011, 03:37
The bobbing is so severe and distracting in this game, I feel like I'm playing as The Penguin.

littlecats
25th Aug 2011, 14:01
I don't like the head bobbing in the cutscenes, during the regular part of the game, it's not as bad. I turned the FOV up to a 100, so it's not as noticeable. But during the cutscenes, it's really bouncing around when I'm trying to read the subtittles.

SyphonX
25th Aug 2011, 16:24
You guys need to exercise your eyes more, lol.

Focus on something in your extreme peripheral (side-vision) and try to keep your eyes trained on it as you turn you head to face it. Do this left-right-up-down, and try to focus on something outside your window, on the far-horizon as well, if possible.

Trust me, you need to do this, because the head-bob is not even that bad in this game.

littlecats
25th Aug 2011, 17:15

Focus on something in your extreme peripheral (side-vision) and try to keep your eyes trained on it as you turn you head to face it. Do this left-right-up-down, and try to focus on something outside your window, on the far-horizon as well, if possible.

Trust me, you need to do this, because the head-bob is not even that bad in this game.

If the subtitles didn't jump up and down during the cutscenes, it'd be much better. This is the first time I have ever had to read bouncy text in subtitles. I didn't see them in that movie (can't remember the name) that was filmed like a home movie. The camera was all over the place but the subtitles didn't bounce around.

Eta. I did that with my eyes because this place I used to live was haunted. I could see this lady out of the corner of my eyes but when I looked at her directly, I couldn't see her. I now have a sleep disorder. I don't sleep in the dark and I stay awake all night and well into the day until I literally can't keep my eyes open.

timothydog76
25th Aug 2011, 18:24

To quote The Dude... "That's just like... your opinion... man."

BTW, I can lift 100 lbs with my eyes and the bobbing still bothers me! :P

luckycarbon
26th Aug 2011, 13:05
I registered just to bump this thread.

Dear Developers, please add an option to remove head bob. It makes me feel very ill.

Also, it'd be great if you added a hold/switch toggle (similar to sticking to cover) for crouch, aim and sprint but I can at least play and enjoy the game without those.

Thank you.

Sinate
26th Aug 2011, 18:42
Also registered just to post here :) The head bob makes me feel very sick indeed, The moment I took my first steps in the game I instantly started looking in the options for a way to turn it off.... atm I can only play for 15 mins at a time.

Pretty much every game these days comes with an option to either turn it off or reduce it. Please Eidos add an option!!

dawgspeed
26th Aug 2011, 19:46
G`day mates...

I also just registered today so i can bump this thread !!!!

Please developers .. give us the option to turn this feature off .. yes it makes me very ill as well ..

I would really like to play this game .. but as long as the head bob is in ..
I cannot play it and unfortunately, its 60$ i just wasted..

Cheers ...

sotgan
27th Aug 2011, 16:59
I have the PC version and I'm unable to play it because of the constant head bobbing. If anyone who works at Eidos reads this, can you please either add the option to turn it off (or tell me a start-up flag I can use to remove it)?

Otherwise it's a wasted purchase and I'll be unable to experience the game.

Man at least i am not alone,i cant play this game for more then 10 min without having a headache

why is there no option to disable headbob and other screen shake is beyond me

Industriality
27th Aug 2011, 18:56
Remove headbob or add an option to disable head bob, this makes sick a LOT of people (I can stand it but it's annoying)

This is a basic feature on PC FPS, almost everygames with headbobing has a way to disable it ! I can't understand why there is not such an option.

Thanks devs

PS : add an option to disable intro advertisement too !!!

ValenOfGrey
4th Sep 2011, 02:33
I, too, registered to say the same as these fine gents above.

As a gamer that gets migraines, head bob is infuriating for me because the bob tends to set them off. Plus its just one of those bits of polish that I personally would just like to get rid of. The brain automatically adjusts for bobbing IRL anyway, so it seems kind of overkill to me.

I feel like I have wasted 45$ on a game that I physically cant play.

Please devs, give us a way to shut it off.

Thanks
--Valen

VekErro
4th Sep 2011, 05:19
Huh, that's odd; I literally didn't even notice there was head bob. Then again after years of hardcore abuse and sleep deprivation my eyes have become stronger than steel. If there was a military in the eye world these bad boys would be hardened SAS warriors. I mean sometimes I wake up and they've grown beards in the night. Shaving your eyes is no fun.
Regardless of that though I know plenty of people who got sick watching Cloverfield so I can imagine It's the same for this game. Kinda odd that no one thought of that while it was being made. I mean I would have thought when you're adding something to a game the first thing you ask yourself is 'will everyone be able to play comfortably with this?'. If the answer is no then make it optional.

Zenzirouj
6th Sep 2011, 18:42
For some reason I didn't think it would take this long to have something so simple fixed in some way or another. But between the relatively slow patching schedule and the heavily obfuscated game files making it astoundingly difficult to make changes of any kind, I had to put the game on hold until I can really enjoy playing it.

belinda_f
8th Sep 2011, 11:08
I can't play the game until there is a way to switch off all head /camera bobbing when walking, running, crouched. Simple file or registry modification would be enough, we don't even need an ingame option for that.

I will never be so stupid again and buy a game without playing it first. With the same money i could have some fun right now with another game instead of posting here.

Please devs, show mercy and give us a quickfix for this. Somewhere in the patch0.000 or bigfile.00x must be a way to modify this.

jerryku7
9th Sep 2011, 00:33
I have a similar thread here: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=119985

I have written to Eidos' Tumblr account to see if they will give us a patch for the head bob.

jerryku7
9th Sep 2011, 00:54
If you have problems with motion/simulation sickness due to the camera shake effect (aka "head bobbing"), please go to this URL and click the "Ask us anything" button on the right hand side of the screen.

http://eidosmontreal.tumblr.com/

Then, politely ask if Eidos Montreal would consider putting in an option to disable the head bobbing.

I think if enough of us bring up the issue with them, they will notice!

belinda_f
9th Sep 2011, 21:28
did that right now, thanks jerryku7 for providing the info.

CryHavok
11th Sep 2011, 20:43
The head bobbing is definitely excessive, although I'd rather see it minimized vs. completely eliminated.

jerryku7
12th Sep 2011, 00:08
I wish EIDOS would say something about this issue. If they say they will not address the issue ever, then I can give up any hope.

joker91
14th Sep 2011, 08:43
I have registered just for this as well.

This is the second game I can't play due to simulator sickness, in 20+ years of gaming. The other one was Singularity.

Eidos, this problem seems to be showing up on various forums. I am sure people would be appreciative if you fix this soon.

jerryku7
14th Sep 2011, 20:40
I also had sickness issues with Singularity! Friggin' head bobbing..

jonmar
21st Oct 2011, 06:33
I also just registered to voice my hope for an option to turn off head bob. I get headaches and nausea from it. I wish developers would realize that the human eye doesn't work like a video camera strapped to a helmet. In real life you don't get head bob and you don't see lense flares (my other pet peeve in games).

Please give us the option to turn it off.

Xeneelk
22nd Oct 2011, 18:23
I would like to disable head bobbing, has anyone who posted here found a mod or option to turn it off? It is starting to cause me to be unable to play the game.

jerryku7
25th Oct 2011, 05:53
nope, there is no known way to disable head bobbing

Gamefreek
29th Oct 2011, 00:17
Yeah, it tends to give me a head ache, when I run in real life the world doesnt shake like that for me, why should it in a game.

Also, why does everyone in the future look like they have Parkinson's Disease [the illness Michel J. Fox has]