PDA

View Full Version : Game does not want me to play on any other settings than defaults.

Grabondall
23rd Aug 2011, 18:17
I've recently tried the game on the default settings for PC and the frame rate and everything is kind of slow. Unfortunately, I can't change to settings to get better performance because when I try to set lower settings, I get an error message saying my computer might not have enough resources to play the game and that I need to make sure I have the newest drivers and everything(which I have).

I always get this message EXCEPT when I'm on the default settings. In that case I can play the game.

U4IASTRM
23rd Aug 2011, 19:04
Same here man. Luckily I have enough squirrel power to run the game. Have you tried closing any background processes? You would be amazed at how they can affect performance. How low did you set the settings? I mean did you uncheck everything? Make sure there is no AA, and anisotropic filtering, no SSAO. Everything off and at its very lowest setting. It worked, but it looked like crap and I knew my computer could handle the game better than that. I'm sure there is a fix coming for the issue and many others very soon.

Grabondall
23rd Aug 2011, 19:10
Holy crap, it DOES work!

Thanks, I shall be playing with these settings until they get a fix!

NixxesSoftware
23rd Aug 2011, 19:12
If you have trouble changing the settings while inside of the game, launch the out-of-game setup application through Steam and change them there. Also, please ensure you have the latest drivers, it is not normal for changing settings in the game to crash out like that, so it seems like it might be something with your drivers.

Grabondall
23rd Aug 2011, 19:21
If you have trouble changing the settings while inside of the game, launch the out-of-game setup application through Steam and change them there. Also, please ensure you have the latest drivers, it is not normal for changing settings in the game to crash out like that, so it seems like it might be something with your drivers.

My main problem has actually been with the setup application. I also downloaded the most recent drivers from ATI this morning before posting here. It's kind of strange.

John Smith
23rd Aug 2011, 19:41
Some other people (me included) have a similar problem:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=119720

I should mention my drivers are up-to-date as well. And it doesn't matter where I change the settings: if I change them in-game, it crashes as soon as I exit the menu. If I change them in the setup, it crashes as soon as I load a save.

U4IASTRM
23rd Aug 2011, 21:16
My drivers are up to date. And both menus in and out of the game caused the CTD. Not a full ctd, b/c as soon as I changed a setting and pressed "OK" I would return to the game albeit, instantly. Like I alt-tabbed. Unless the setup manager did not like the setting that I changed and repeated the error again and again no matter what i changed. But as soon as I started the setup manager by itself, and reset everything to default the game worked just fine. It sounds as if the OP does not have or is very close to the minimum specs. He was trying to lower the settings to make it run better.

So to be clear, if I dont change anything in the setup manager and run the game it works. If I change ANYTHING in the setup manager, even to lower the settings, the game will simply CTD on loading a save or starting a new game right after it finishes loading and the loading screen vanishes.

Joseph Manderley's Corpse
23rd Aug 2011, 21:34
Same problem here and my specs are at "recommended".

The game is unplayable.

theoriginalpatman
25th Aug 2011, 19:42
I'm having the same issue here. I tried the game the problem kicked in. Turns out, I didn't have the latest drivers, so I went and got them. Installed them, restarted my comp, and the problem persists. D:

AMD Athlon II x4 620 Processor 2.6ghz
8gb Ram
EVGA gtx 260

I can play the game on recommended settings, but I'd prefer to change them around a little on my own at least, so any help would be much appreciated.

Mizkreant
26th Aug 2011, 08:56
It's the AA setting that's doing it. Some people get a crash if we select anything other than FXAA High or Edge AA.

jaywalker2309
26th Aug 2011, 09:21
Hm MLAA is AMD's solution, and FXAA is nVidias. They are both supposedly available on both cards..

Found this which is quite interesting to read http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/07/18/nvidias_new_fxaa_antialiasing_technology/4

Guess everyone has their own preference for AA solutions, but if having issues try another one?