PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me, or is this game really hard

jlat96
23rd Aug 2011, 17:48
Is there anything I can do to make it easier?

Darthassin
23rd Aug 2011, 17:50

Yes. Think more. :)

Pretentious Old Man.
23rd Aug 2011, 17:52
Play on Easy difficulty? If you already are, then it may just not be your type of game. You need to have the right mindset of thinking laterally to do well in a Deus Ex game. You have to always FIND the easiest path, it won't just be there for you to take.

Badmagic
23rd Aug 2011, 17:58

I've not played it (UK and no dodgy leak's for me), that said I've watched some on the tube and from what I've both seen and read this is quite a bit more biased towards a stealthy character by most accounts, not necessarily a bad thing but from what I've seen you really can't play this as a bullet sponge like way too many modern shooters.

Take advantage of cover where possible, you can still kind of run 'n' gun, just don't stand in the open when laying waste to the population, there are also augments you can get to improve your survivability.

***EDIT***

Sorry, just read my post back and it could come across as a little facetious, it was not intended to be, my intention was that it would hopefully help a little.

*END*EDIT*

Frag Maniac
23rd Aug 2011, 18:00
From what I've seen in reviews, you're encouraged to use stealth and of course augmentations a lot. That said, I've also seen in the reviews that although the enemy AI shoot very accurately, there's many doors they won't or can't go through and crates and such they won't peek around. Thus by mid game with stealth and good use of augs and alternate infiltration routes, it can seem too easy at times, but set off alarms and you can easily end up dying too. This is the way Deus Ex has always played, so they're staying true to the series with such gameplay.

ZakKa89
23rd Aug 2011, 18:01
soem tips:

-explore, always loot bodies
-find alternate paths
-be patient, wait for the right time to strike.

THINK

sahdev_92
23rd Aug 2011, 18:14
Also, observe your enemy. If you're finding sneaking hard, always look at what paths they take, and try to create your own alternate path to get through.

Or, as long as you move slowly, you can stick close behind the enemy, that way you don't need to stay in one place, but you can move about and find new opportunities.

Of course, if you're playing on the default or higher difficulty, just raise it down a notch. Otherwise, invest in some of the augmentations. They're there for a reason. :)

On2wheels
23rd Aug 2011, 18:14
It's not you. It is a unique game, but you need to play it for what it is, and I'm not trying to be sarcastic. It's not a quick stress relief game for after work/school, that's what Left4dead is for. This is my first DE game, and I'm really liking it. For some reason I was waiting for this to come out, I preordered, and have been taking in every mission I find.
I think I was dissapointed with FO New Vegas and I even finished it as quick as I could, so when I found DE HR, I was excited for release day.
You need to take your time, and maybe you're like me and today might not be the right time for you with DE HR, but next week, or next month might, and you could just love it.

Jordasm
23rd Aug 2011, 18:34
Think, be stealthy. Don't rush in like a headless chicken call of duty style or you'll be mown down instantly. Take your time and be patient.

[FGS]Shadowrunner
23rd Aug 2011, 18:40
Reading these tips, sounds like a game of Deus Ex huh ;)

JacobBHE
23rd Aug 2011, 19:30
I was wondering how long it would take for this question to come up.

As POM says, this is not your average COD clone, and it never should be.

Stick it on easy difficulty, slow down and relax, then explore the map.

Brockxz
23rd Aug 2011, 19:58
I was wondering how long it would take for this question to come up.

As POM says, this is not your average COD clone, and it never should be.

Stick it on easy difficulty, slow down and relax, then explore the map.

I was wondering the same thing and i bet this won't be the last that kind of topic we will see here where all those halo/cod kids come and complain how hard is that and why they can't just run and gun.

Ashpolt
23rd Aug 2011, 20:07
I was wondering the same thing and i bet this won't be the last that kind of topic we will see here where all those halo/cod kids come and complain how hard is that and why they can't just run and gun.

I'm really looking forward to the reaction of particularly "ellite" CoD players!

jlat96
23rd Aug 2011, 20:08

I can assure you, that this is not why I started this thread. I just wanted to ask for some tips. That's all

ZakKa89
23rd Aug 2011, 20:09
In case you don't know, you can change the difficulty any time.

thanos
23rd Aug 2011, 20:13
Its not only you, ther game is a bit hard so far i have died a few times.

[FGS]Shadowrunner
23rd Aug 2011, 20:14
I can assure you, that this is not why I started this thread. I just wanted to ask for some tips. That's all

It's not directed at you, there really is a forum user called "CODEllite" and his posts are hilarious. No-one is being a PC Elitist either, just good old DX fans.

I haven't played it yet, but have been playing and mapping the old one for a long time. I can tell already as the others said, it's a stealth-orientated version of DX perhaps. DX has in EVERY map in DX1... A back door A vent/tunnel/shaft/underground area and rewards for non-lethal play

Dr_Bob
23rd Aug 2011, 20:33
Shadowrunner;1656046']It's not directed at you, there really is a forum user called "CODEllite" and his posts are hilarious. No-one is being a PC Elitist either, just good old DX fans.

For some reason, he keeps insisting that Eidos Montreal add vehicles to the game.

Vehicles.

ZakKa89
23rd Aug 2011, 20:36

Hey nothing wrong with that! Could you be a little more specific though? Is it the combat? Lack of ammo? Or do you maybe find it hard to sneak?

We could give better tips if we knew a little bit more about what you are having trouble with :)

And for the record: there is absolutely no shame in it. There wasn't a game like Deus Ex released since, well, Deus Ex. It's not so weird that people will have difficulties with how to play it correctly.

jlat96
23rd Aug 2011, 20:50
Hey nothing wrong with that! Could you be a little more specific though? Is it the combat? Lack of ammo? Or do you maybe find it hard to sneak?

We could give better tips if we knew a little bit more about what you are having trouble with :)

And for the record: there is absolutely no shame in it. There wasn't a game like Deus Ex released since, well, Deus Ex. It's not so weird that people will have difficulties with how to play it correctly.

Defiantly lack of ammo. I am currently stuck on the FEMA level because u have a total of 10 bullets across all of my guns...

MaceUk
23rd Aug 2011, 20:53
Defiantly lack of ammo. I am currently stuck on the FEMA level because u have a total of 10 bullets across all of my guns...

Because the idea is to sneak into places. If you want to shoot every living thing you need to pick up ammo from enemies, but you will not be able to walk down the middle of a corridor taking COD damage and one shotting tangos.

jlat96
23rd Aug 2011, 20:55
Because the idea is to sneak into places. If you want to shoot every living thing you need to pick up ammo from enemies, but you will not be able to walk down the middle of a corridor taking COD damage and one shotting tangos.

I try to do that, but the stealth thing is new to me and is difficult so... Yeah

sahdev_92
23rd Aug 2011, 21:02
Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it.

Also, if you do take down an enemy, be it lethal or non-lethal, take their gun as well as ammo. Trust me, it adds as ammo as well. Since we're talking about Highland Park, most of the enemies in that level use the Combat Rifle, so take the ammo and rifle as well. The Revolver is also pretty damn strong, so take that as well, great weapon in the game. :)

MaceUk
23rd Aug 2011, 21:08
Yeah the revolver knocks them off their feet!

ZakKa89
23rd Aug 2011, 21:12

Not to sound elitist, but while playing the leak myself I thought there was waaay too much ammo. I was actually hoping the ammo would be more scarce in the final release :p Last game I had trouble with finding ammo was Far Cry.

- You could do some exploring: Be sure to check every corner, every locker/drawer for ammunition. Check every room, every hidden path etcetera

- However, the best way to get more ammo is too loot from corpses or enemies you knocked out. You see a couple of gang bangers? Knock them out and grab their ammo. Don't let anybody live/walk freely. Be sure to kill/knock out all foes you encounter and I'm sure you'll be swimming in ammunition.

-Another tip is not to spray and be carefull with the ammo you have. Always aim for the head and don't go full auto too much with rifles/smg's
. Use the pistol often.

- Find different means to dispose of your foes. Did you know you can kill enemies by throwing a fridge at them for example? Use melee as well as it only costs energy.

But seriously, don't forget to loot corpses. You will never ever have to BUY ammo ;)

imported_El_Zilcho
23rd Aug 2011, 22:11
In case you don't know, you can change the difficulty any time.

I actually had a question on this, I find that I'm dying or quickloading a lot and the load time on my PC is like 40 seconds every time. Does lowering the difficulty have other effects? some games give you better/longer endings when you complete them completely on one difficulty(usually the middle or high difficulty setting) does deus ex do anything like that or can I lower the difficulty without sacrificing content? Anyone?

ZakKa89
23rd Aug 2011, 22:36
It will just make the game less difficult

singularity
23rd Aug 2011, 22:41
I actually had a question on this, I find that I'm dying or quickloading a lot and the load time on my PC is like 40 seconds every time. Does lowering the difficulty have other effects? some games give you better/longer endings when you complete them completely on one difficulty(usually the middle or high difficulty setting) does deus ex do anything like that or can I lower the difficulty without sacrificing content? Anyone?

I haven't finished the game yet (that might actually take me a month or two), but all the information we've been given thus far strongly suggests that endings are based solely on choices made in the game - not on difficulty.

To the OP - the stealth is quite a trial and error experience I've discovered (although not quite as bad as the original DX). The big one is to observe your enemies. Also - don't be afraid to use your augs to help you out. DX is built for resourcefullness. There have been at least two occasions thus far where stealth broke down, shooting started, and the ability to use my strength aug to build a barracade saved me.

On that note - use your augs and choose upgrades/ new augs carefully. I haven't encountered any seriously useless augs yet, but note where you are having difficulty in the game, and make your next aug upgrade accordingly. Having trouble with stealth? More points into cloak might help you out, along with run silent. Having trouble keeping track of enemies? Vision enhancements and upgrades to your minimap will treat you well. Observe how you play - observe how the game reacts - and change your tactics accordingly. Best of luck :)

Aetrion
23rd Aug 2011, 23:06
The most important piece of advice in this game: Get the intel, make a plan. Most seemingly impossible problems can be overcome simply by studying the map carefully, looking for hidden routes like air vents, and knowing where your enemies are.

nomotog
23rd Aug 2011, 23:14
Try using more stealth. Even in combat. Rolling away they will still think you are where they last saw you and this will give you a chance to flank around back to melee them. Also make sure you aim and don't blind fire.

jtr7
24th Aug 2011, 00:40
In true Deus Ex fashion, this game was designed to be more challenging than is average for mass-gaming. Bring your brain, and creativity, and engage.

WRECKU
24th Aug 2011, 00:58
I'm loving the challenge. Finally a game where you have to think and plan. :)

BigBoss
24th Aug 2011, 02:58
Play on Easy difficulty? If you already are, then it may just not be your type of game. You need to have the right mindset of thinking laterally to do well in a Deus Ex game. You have to always FIND the easiest path, it won't just be there for you to take.

Or just look for vents. So far, every problem has been solved with a 'secret' vent

MaceUk
24th Aug 2011, 09:54
Or just look for vents. So far, every problem has been solved with a 'secret' vent

So he should 'vent' his frustration?

I'll get my coat......

sajin
24th Aug 2011, 10:05

Try to use short bursts, max 3 bullets bursts. Try to aim for the head. Do not shoot blindly from cover, waste of bullets. Keep the path behind you in mind: if you are in a bad spot, fall back to a better position and make the enemies come to you. You can also use air vents to escape and attack from a different direction.

DeusVirgin
24th Aug 2011, 15:15
Loading times on my PC every time I die are a bit much, 40sec or so. I figure very little can be done about this. I feel like upgrading to dual video cards and maybe 6-8gb of ram. Wonder if that would speed up things a bit.

anyone ?

sajin
24th Aug 2011, 15:20
Loading times on my PC every time I die are a bit much, 40sec or so. I figure very little can be done about this. I feel like upgrading to dual video cards and maybe 6-8gb of ram. Wonder if that would speed up things a bit.

anyone ?

Nope, not for load times. You can defrag your disk, or get an SSD. But load times are simply not so good, hopefully a patch improves that a bit...

neilthecellist
24th Aug 2011, 17:38
I have two play throughs set up for DX:HR

PLAYTHROUGH 1: Stealth, like the traditional Deus Ex. Minimal shooting, maximum social interaction and sneaking around.

PLAYTHROUGH 2: Run and gun. It's possible. Just don't waste your bullets. Each one of your bullets has to hit a target. Preferably in the head.

xsamitt
24th Aug 2011, 18:34
Well by all accounts I am pleased to hear that DH:HR is indeed a thinking mans game.I have my copy looking at me begging to play it but can't.My PC doesn't stand a chance....I will be building a new rig when Ivey Bridge comes out.......Till then I just listen to a lot of music.

Lirezh
24th Aug 2011, 21:53

Actually it is possible to complete the level without any shot as long as there is no boss fight.
So even with 0 ammo you can do it.

Another hint:
Try switch to the guns the enemies use mostly, in case you haven't already ;)

HostageTaker
25th Aug 2011, 02:52
LMAO @ hard....

I'm playing it on the hardest setting from the start and I find it terribly easy. I have a ton of ammo, gear, credits and augs.

Totally stealth and non lethal play style. Hacking and exploring everything I can... oh and I have yet to complete the first mission in Detroit :P Side missions always first!

I've always gone for the hardest setting ever since Wolfenstein 3d/Doom days

nathanj
25th Aug 2011, 03:48
if they dont see me its easy. if they see me and shoot at me its hard. :) i actually had a bit of fun on a couple of the levels by changing their routs simply by putting objects in their way. the wont go over them so they just go back and forth.

omgitsbees
25th Aug 2011, 04:06
With the exception of the bosses, which I found frustrating; I played my first play through as a pyscho killer that destroyed everything and unmercifully murdered my enemies. So yes, I got into a lot of fire fights. With only a few exceptions, I never died. Even when you argument towards combat, you still have to play smart, take cover and know when to strike. Learn when to back off, flank the enemy, and get head shots, and you'll absolutely dominate in a combat role.

The reviews that claim that DX:HR is biased towards stealth, are totally wrong. Like I said, I did an entire playthrough, avoiding stealth, I actively went out of my way to kill every enemy.

nathanj
25th Aug 2011, 04:35
With the exception of the bosses, which I found frustrating; I played my first play through as a pyscho killer that destroyed everything and unmercifully murdered my enemies. So yes, I got into a lot of fire fights. With only a few exceptions, I never died. Even when you argument towards combat, you still have to play smart, take cover and know when to strike. Learn when to back off, flank the enemy, and get head shots, and you'll absolutely dominate in a combat role.

The reviews that claim that DX:HR is biased towards stealth, are totally wrong. Like I said, I did an entire playthrough, avoiding stealth, I actively went out of my way to kill every enemy.

the thing that kills me every freaking time are the proximity mines. i always......always go up and try and disable them and collect them like you can in fallout NV and i keep forgetting it doesnt work that way in deus ex. they always get me. :lmao:

Daedatheus
25th Aug 2011, 07:02
The effectiveness of bullets in this game surprised me in the VERY beginning (pre-augmented Adam) but after that and the manufacturing plant mission, I found the level of difficulty quite doable. I also have TONS of ammo for all my weapons, enemies only take 1-2 shots in the early parts of the game to take down so you really don't need to shoot that much. Pick up their ammo AND their dropped gun for max bullets.

It was like DX1, adapting to the play style and curve of the game took some getting used to but once you got in you were SET for the rest of the game and free to create all kinds of creative solutions without feeling like anything was too punishing or too easy.

the thing that kills me every freaking time are the proximity mines. i always......always go up and try and disable them and collect them like you can in fallout NV and i keep forgetting it doesnt work that way in deus ex. they always get me. :lmao:

Hahaha I totally did the same thing a few times, BECAUSE disabling and collecting mines on walls is actually something that started way back in Deus Ex 1. :cool:

Unfortunately it didn't end well for me in DX:HR.

sajin
25th Aug 2011, 07:42
Hahaha I totally did the same thing a few times, BECAUSE disabling and collecting mines on walls is actually something that started way back in Deus Ex 1. :cool:

Unfortunately it didn't end well for me in DX:HR.

The mines in DX:HR detect movement close to them. By moving very slowly (crouch and caps lock), you can harvest mines like in deus ex 1...

Daedatheus
25th Aug 2011, 09:08
The mines in DX:HR detect movement close to them. By moving very slowly (crouch and caps lock), you can harvest mines like in deus ex 1...

What!!! Thanks for the tip sajin. Awesome.

imported_yt__
25th Aug 2011, 09:26
I'm playing on hard and liking the challenge, its not like I'm planning on rushing through the game or anything ;)

Although it doesn't take much to put Jensen down when trying to fire shots off from cover, I'm more worried about my first boss fight.

The other hard part of the game is choosing what Augmentations you want/need :)

808silentmurder
25th Aug 2011, 09:59

COD, HALO....

ninjasninjasninjas
25th Aug 2011, 10:00
its just you.

Jerion
25th Aug 2011, 18:24
Get creative. Ammo is around, you just have to look for it. You can screw yourself, but in almost any conceivable case you should be able to find an alternate method of reaching your destination. Don't be afraid to adapt and think. Just because an enemy is there doesn't mean you need to engage. The goal isn't to kill or even KO. The goal is the objective.

wilm987
25th Aug 2011, 18:50
Can i ask you something? Can the AUD be found in the game stores with the regular edition?

TheFuture
25th Aug 2011, 19:02
Game is not hard. If anything it's too easy. I beat it on my 2nd day on the hardest difficulty. Boss fights were fun and easy too. The hardest thing by far was

*spoilers*

saving Malik.

jlat96
26th Aug 2011, 01:19
Game is not hard. If anything it's too easy. I beat it on my 2nd day on the hardest difficulty. Boss fights were fun and easy too. The hardest thing by far was

*spoilers*

saving Malik.

Havent gotten there yet. If it was hard or you, it's going to be impossible for me...

Charadesmith
26th Aug 2011, 01:23
I agree that "if anything it's too easy". Loved it but certainly could have been a tad more difficult

Vasarto
26th Aug 2011, 03:12
OMFG the first boss was freaking impossible! I threw three explosives at him directly and he took all that. A shot gun at point blank to the head and machine gun shots and still came at me.

This was on easy mode too!

I finally killed him but oh boy is combat in this hard lol.

DarkStar33Cdn
26th Aug 2011, 03:51
Have you every played Batman Arkham Asylum? Take that approach rather then trying to run and gun levels.

Take your time and think about where you can pick guys off, sometimes putting them into caution mode makes them careless. Its easy to draw a enemy away if you open a door and knock him out when they investigate.

Sometimes its easier to just avoid them all together, why expend ammo if you dont need to? (Ive yet to kill anyone and I dont even have camo)

Fireisprettyful
26th Aug 2011, 04:15
So he should 'vent' his frustration?

I'll get my coat......
lol i found your post funny:D

the game is very challenging for me atm(on easy) i just try to conserve ammo and always hit my targets(i kill everyone who shoots at me)

Riddik116
26th Aug 2011, 04:23
The game is alot harder than i was expecting, specially since the damn reviewers said that the game is easier just shooting ppl, which is a lie since they obivously didnt play on the hardest difficulty (stealth is much easier).

To make the game easier i would say take your time and try to play with more stealth.

Shinnflowen
26th Aug 2011, 05:09
In the start of the game it's almost pointless to go pure gun and run unless you play very tactical so stealth is the best approach for the first 1/3 of the game. After, it became fun if you learned the right augments and do all the side missions. 1st boss took 4 satchels and a clip from my combat rifle, second boss took 2 typhoons, and third boss took 3 grenade launcher rounds in the face. Also, hacking robots makes clearing rooms so much fun.

Lirezh
26th Aug 2011, 07:57
I've been playing it on hardest difficulty for about 9-11 hours now.

Sadly I've to agree that the game is far too easy. It's fun but I see no way of ammo shortage ..
Actually I have inventory problems to store all those ammo packages.

You kill/silence most guards either per TD or per headshot and most leave more than one ammo around.
Aside of that you find ammo all the time.

imported_metal_dawn
26th Aug 2011, 08:06
I'm curious to know if the OP has gotten the hang of this yet.

pewpew
26th Aug 2011, 09:37
I've been playing it on hardest difficulty for about 9-11 hours now.

Sadly I've to agree that the game is far too easy. It's fun but I see no way of ammo shortage ..
Actually I have inventory problems to store all those ammo packages.

You kill/silence most guards either per TD or per headshot and most leave more than one ammo around.
Aside of that you find ammo all the time.

i agree with this 100%. the AI is incredibly dumb and basically stands in line to be taken out for headshot after headshot. for the OP, all you have to do is get in cover, set your reticle over a targets head, then lean out and pull the trigger. the rest of the guards will take defensive positions and seldom advance on you. if they do get some courage and advance, killing one will send all the rest into hiding again. im actually quite a bit let down at how mindless the AI is in this game.

ishiki
26th Aug 2011, 09:41
i agree with this 100%. the AI is incredibly dumb and basically stands in line to be taken out for headshot after headshot. for the OP, all you have to do is get in cover, set your reticle over a targets head, then lean out and pull the trigger. the rest of the guards will take defensive positions and seldom advance on you. if they do get some courage and advance, killing one will send all the rest into hiding again. im actually quite a bit let down at how mindless the AI is in this game.

maybe he turned off the reticule like I did (I'm really glad they included this option). But, probably not if he's having this much problems XD

Lirezh
26th Aug 2011, 09:53
Actually I like many things of the AI, it has the potential to give a nice fight.
But it leaves the feeling that they made it easy for console players.

When starting a fight the AI reacts nice in many cases.
But once they are in a hidden pos they keep putting their head out at the same place which makes it a muuuch too simple game. All you have to do is wait and shoot in most cases.

A small tweak would be to make the AI player do the same, he could go out of cover, aim and wait for your head to appear.
Another tweak would be to make them change their position why staying BEHIND their cover and crouched, so you can't tell where they appear again.

And last but not least, the AI should be able to crouch so you are not save from many low positions.

It feels like 95% of the work is done but 5% polishing is missing.

Btw, let's keep in mind the original DX had far more stupid AI. We still enjoyed it.

theillusiveman0
26th Aug 2011, 10:08
even on easy mode this is a challenging game and even though ive never played any of the previous ones I like that. But use cover, aim for the head and if your gonna run and gun pick good places to start a fight so you dont get flanked. But all in all its best not to fight at all if you can. Also try and stick to being one type of character not a jack of all trades.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Aug 2011, 10:09
This game is very challenging from the get-go... and I'm loving every minute of it! :D

ceeweex3
26th Aug 2011, 10:32
i've died quite a number of times. im a big metal gear fan from the ps days before ps3 (dont own one) and a big splinter cell fan which is the reason i bought this game. Its hard. No doubt. Get seen and it may aswell say game over bc you're gonna die lol. Its fun but incredibly frustrating at times and the hacking tutorials arent very clear, Had to figure that one out myself. But overall this game is great.

You just need to adapt an observant gameplay style and outsmart and maneuver your opponents.

CoDEllite
26th Aug 2011, 12:16
No its definetly not just you. There is a problem with balancing in game. And stealth gameplay just doesnt work isnt satisfying. I play on normal and still die all the time. In fact getting quite sick from the dying sequence :D . What makes it worse are the loading times that follow. The guard AI is inconsistent its too aggressive/sensitive at times when it shouldnt be and too slow at times when it should be flanking the player. I played 3rdperson stealth games like this before so its not my inexperience the developers just unbalanced the game, for the sake of making it difficult or so that pc elitists could brag how its THEIR kinda game. Im sorry but to me Immersion/game flow is seriosly broken when I have to reload every 5 minutes.

This sorta reminds me of watching my buddy trying to play MetalGearSolid 4 and its stealth gameplay was really frustrating to watch. He would die or be discovered by the oversensitive guards every couple of minutes leading to very unrealistic start/stop gameplay. I played games like SC, Assassins Creed and Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena and wish Eidos had taken a cue from those developers. Well Im sure glad we can still play this game in a more direct way.

moose o death
26th Aug 2011, 13:55
i'm enjoying stealth immensely. what i'm stuck on is the second boss fight. and i mean tragically cannot proceed really annoyed stuck. the boss fights are thoroughly ridiculous if there was an option for "standard boss's" and realistic headshots work bosses i'd take the second option.

if anyone knows of a god mode cheat i can activate so i can kill her and get back to playing the game properly i'd be much obliged. elsewise i'm going back to watching lexx.

reloaded an autosave from before the boss fight, backtracked the entire complex. including the worlds slowest elevator. killed everyone i had left unaware of my initial presense. found some health and weapons. tried again. this time i won but not for the life of me sure how?

cqc_batman
26th Aug 2011, 18:32

http://freedomkeys.com/NoYouCant.jpg!!!

Play the game the way it's supposed to be played!! I started at the hardest difficulty "Give Me Deus Ex", played over 25hrs and I'm still not finished with the game. I'm doing everything and I'm loving it.:thumb:

KnightRobby
26th Aug 2011, 18:43
This is a good thread. I was wondering about difficulty myself, as I don't have the game (yet!). I hope to get it somehow, someway...It just looks so freaking amazing.

Anyways, I'm a big fan of the game Demon's Souls (anyone else?) on the PS3 and I actually consider myself pretty good at it. I've heard people complain about the game's difficulty, but you just have to be very patient and smart with the situations. Deus Ex: HR, from what many have said in this thread, sounds somewhat similar, though I doubt it would be considered punishing or cheap.

So, I was wondering, as a person that considers himself "good" (not bragging) at Demon's Souls, has played a lot of shooters/third-person action games/stealth titles, what difficulty would you recommend for me to play when I get the game? Normal or hard?

Let me know...Thanks!

Riddik116
26th Aug 2011, 18:58
This is a good thread. I was wondering about difficulty myself, as I don't have the game (yet!). I hope to get it somehow, someway...It just looks so freaking amazing.

Anyways, I'm a big fan of the game Demon's Souls (anyone else?) on the PS3 and I actually consider myself pretty good at it. I've heard people complain about the game's difficulty, but you just have to be very patient and smart with the situations. Deus Ex: HR, from what many have said in this thread, sounds somewhat similar, though I doubt it would be considered punishing or cheap.

So, I was wondering, as a person that considers himself "good" (not bragging) at Demon's Souls, has played a lot of shooters/third-person action games/stealth titles, what difficulty would you recommend for me to play when I get the game? Normal or hard?

Let me know...Thanks!

Demons souls is the only game i would buy a ps3 for but i did get to play it for about 4 hours and it was amazing for the bit i got to play (cant wait for dark souls since its coming to 360!).

for your question; Comparing demons souls to deus ex hr difficulty isnt really good since DS is based on dieing, where as DX difficulty is a bit spotty due to the AI being stupid but really good shots. But to deside the difficulty it depends on your play style, if your playing more stealth then def the hardest difficulty (just watch out for bosses). Im playing on the hardest difficulty and started out playin run and gun type way and it was pretty difficult so i swapped to stealth and its been pretty easy for the most part (by easy, i mean easier than gunning).

mariofranck
26th Aug 2011, 19:06
I'm playing the Xbox 360 version, normal mode, first playthrough. It feels way easier than the PC Beta. But I don't care, since it's as awesome as I figured it would be.

Cronstintein
26th Aug 2011, 19:33
I like the damage you take on DX difficulty, no bullet sponge action. My only complaint about the difficulty is in many places when you set off an alarm only the guards in the nearby room come. It would be cool if they sent in a squad that would search the area methodically.

Ashpolt
26th Aug 2011, 20:03

Let me know...Thanks!

You're not the only fan of Demon's Souls - I love it! Easily one of my top 10 games ever, probably top 5, and definitely my top non-PC title of this generation. I replayed it recently, and completed NG+ earlier this week. Will move onto NG++ once I've completed DXHR.

As for your question: DXHR has a very different style of difficulty to Demon's Souls, so it's not really right to say "If you completed DS, play DXHR on x difficulty" - the skills from one game aren't transferable to another. As a general recommendation though, I'd say play on normal first, then move to hard when you replay the game. :)

PrinsJonis
27th Aug 2011, 02:59
Lmfao. If you think Deus Ex 3 is hard, even on the hardest difficulty, you are doing something wrong. I've seen people complain soooo much that the game is hard "oh wah wah I can't beat Barrett with my ghost hacker!" when you can kill him without even firing a single bullet.

The game is too easy. Simple as that. Auto regen? rofl, seriously guys? I'm just going behind cover regenerating to full... don't have to spend any resources to heal in the game... 3rd person view to look around corners... just FAIL! If I play on the hardest difficulty, I want a challenge.

Dentrick
27th Aug 2011, 04:12
If you use the auto weapons like the assault rifle or heavy rifle then yes, you will have ammo problems.

Try outfitting the 10mm pistol with a laser sight and silencer, and all the rest of the upgrades that you can find. Sneak around and shoot guys on the head. One bullet is one kill. You'll hardly need any other guns unless you want to go non-lethal or for bosses.

oskie
27th Aug 2011, 06:57
Lmfao. If you think Deus Ex 3 is hard, even on the hardest difficulty, you are doing something wrong. I've seen people complain soooo much that the game is hard "oh wah wah I can't beat Barrett with my ghost hacker!" when you can kill him without even firing a single bullet.

The game is too easy. Simple as that. Auto regen? rofl, seriously guys? I'm just going behind cover regenerating to full... don't have to spend any resources to heal in the game... 3rd person view to look around corners... just FAIL! If I play on the hardest difficulty, I want a challenge.

Agreed Im playing on the hardest level and Im really disappointed..they should release an additional difficulty level where the AI is super smart and nit-picky...

If I knock a NPC out and he's laying on the floor, his comrades should get hostile for a long time not just alarmed....it would be cool if the city of Detroit did something with all the dead bodies I've left round the city....maybe turn that area into a homicide seen with cops and detectives and cars and yellow tape along with EMS....so if I needed to go back to the seen of a murder I just did.... to hack a safe or something I couldnt just walk in w/out the police hassling me

MAKE THE GAME HARDER!!!!!!!:scratch:

KnightRobby
28th Aug 2011, 01:31
@Ashpolt, I've heard two things about Deus Ex: It's either too easy or to difficult. The good news is that you can change the difficulty setting. However, from both parties I have heard that you cannot take much damage whatsoever. So that is definitely good news and is actually sort of reminescent(sp?) Demon's Souls.

I'll definitely start on Normal difficulty for now.

@Riddick116, Yes, Demon's Souls fits perfectly on the PS3, but I am thrilled that Dark Souls is coming to the Xbox 360 as it is my primary platform. By the way, about playing stealth or run'n'gun in DE:HR, I'll be doing equal parts.

It would be great to play with some of you Deus Ex fans that are also Demon's Souls fans. I'm not surprised so many people are playing Demon's Souls or looking forward to Dark Souls, simply by how much blood stains are in Demon's Souls - haha :D

jd10013
28th Aug 2011, 02:08
No its definetly not just you. There is a problem with balancing in game. And stealth gameplay just doesnt work isnt satisfying. I play on normal and still die all the time. In fact getting quite sick from the dying sequence :D . What makes it worse are the loading times that follow. The guard AI is inconsistent its too aggressive/sensitive at times when it shouldnt be and too slow at times when it should be flanking the player. I played 3rdperson stealth games like this before so its not my inexperience the developers just unbalanced the game, for the sake of making it difficult or so that pc elitists could brag how its THEIR kinda game. Im sorry but to me Immersion/game flow is seriosly broken when I have to reload every 5 minutes.

This sorta reminds me of watching my buddy trying to play MetalGearSolid 4 and its stealth gameplay was really frustrating to watch. He would die or be discovered by the oversensitive guards every couple of minutes leading to very unrealistic start/stop gameplay. I played games like SC, Assassins Creed and Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena and wish Eidos had taken a cue from those developers. Well Im sure glad we can still play this game in a more direct way.

lol. this post is actually one of the things that prompted me to download the game from steam today. If CODeilite feels this way about it, then it's probably the game I hoped it would be. If he'd been on here raving about how great it is, I don't know. also, so many others have spoken well of it (even over at TTLG its universally liked, and those guys don't like anything)haven't played it yet, as I'm in VA and there's a hurricane approaching. not that it will hit me, but there is about a 50-50 chance I loose power. so I'm going to wait it out.

anyhow, what difficulty would you guys actually recommend? I'm not an avid gamer, more causal. but I've beat DX on the hardest difficulty (and didn't find it that hard), could never beat SS2 on hardest, and found BS1 and 2 far too easy on hardest, if that helps. most games I play the next to hardest on the fist run through.

also, how does the difficulty level affect the game? is like most games where it just effects the amount of damage you take, AI gives/takes, or does it take a SS approach where you actually get less upgrade points, ammo, items and such?