PDA

View Full Version : No Joystick Config? PC = Xbox 360 Version. Please refund.

nuchbutter
23rd Aug 2011, 16:20
The developers have done it again. Dumbed down the PC version, even though they've deceived us all with their fancy video proclaiming that it's pc-ready.

The only controls I can use on this PC version are the keyboard-mouse, or the Xbox 360 controller. There are no .cfg files to be found on my hard-drive, so I can't even begin the laborious process of deciphering binary addresses to set up my joy axis'.

What the hell? I paid hard-earned money in good faith that there would be some way to use the nearly $300 of pc-input devices I've got installed all around my computer space. And now, it's all junk because everyone's too lazy to put out a pc title that doesn't just cater to the pre-adolescent thumbstick monkeys.

To top it all off, Microsoft has stopped producing and individually packaging the damn $15 pc wireless dongle for their 360 controllers, forcing anyone without that device but owning a 360 to go out and purchase the dongle AND 360 pad package for $70. So then we end up with an extra controller we didn't need, and $55 out of our pocket that we could have used to purchase a new computer game.

So, Eidos. Send me my money back, and I'll erase this piece of crap off my hard drive and go buy BF3.

jaywalker2309
23rd Aug 2011, 16:24
The developers have done it again. Dumbed down the PC version, even though they've deceived us all with their fancy video proclaiming that it's pc-ready.

The only controls I can use on this PC version are the keyboard-mouse, or the Xbox 360 controller. There are no .cfg files to be found on my hard-drive, so I can't even begin the laborious process of deciphering binary addresses to set up my joy axis'.

What the hell? I paid hard-earned money in good faith that there would be some way to use the nearly $300 of pc-input devices I've got installed all around my computer space. And now, it's all junk because everyone's too lazy to put out a pc title that doesn't just cater to the pre-adolescent thumbstick monkeys.

To top it all off, Microsoft has stopped producing and individually packaging the damn $15 pc wireless dongle for their 360 controllers, forcing anyone without that device but owning a 360 to go out and purchase the dongle AND 360 pad package for $70. So then we end up with an extra controller we didn't need, and $55 out of our pocket that we could have used to purchase a new computer game.

So, Eidos. Send me my money back, and I'll erase this piece of crap off my hard drive and go buy BF3.
obviously you are entitled to your opinion, but to say the game is `dumbed down` as it only supports keyboard/mouse that does kinda cover, id say 99% of all pc owners, i think you'll find not many agreeing with you there..

you dont mention what `pc input devices` you are using..

SysOpPsyche
23rd Aug 2011, 16:41
obviously you are entitled to your opinion, but to say the game is `dumbed down` as it only supports keyboard/mouse that does kinda cover, id say 99% of all pc owners, i think you'll find not many agreeing with you there..

you dont mention what `pc input devices` you are using..

Hate to tell you but the Leaked preview build had more flexible input configuration than the release version. At least in the Preview version you could change between multiple gamepad button layouts and stick configurations (ie. Southpaw).
PC versions of games being able to support DirectX compatible hardware is a big issue with PC because even keyboards and mice can vary significantly (ex. Chinese language support). The only real difference between gamepads and other input devices is the configuration of Axis variables and number of buttons which can actually be queried by software thru DirectX and/or Windows depending on how the software decides to do it. So Eidos Montreal deciding to reduce that flexibility despite obviously having already developed code to support it is.....understandly aggravating to people who rely on it for 'accessibility' or preferrance (PC gamers spend a lot more money on hardware For the increased flexibility/performance of PC's over Consoles).

It may, however, just've been dumbed down for launch as it would reduce the amount of potential problems that could occur (wide variance in configurations tend to make isolating problem/bug/glitch sources much more difficult).

Ashpolt
23rd Aug 2011, 16:45

You could buy a wired controller instead. It's cheaper than the wireless controller from the start, and doesn't require a wireless adapter because, y'know, it's wired.

I appreciate this doesn't solve the issue you have here exactly, but don't make out like buying a wireless 360 controller + dongle is the only way to use a controller, or even a 360 controller, on PC because it's simply not the case.

WhiteZero
23rd Aug 2011, 16:47
Not sure if troll, or just has ridiculous expectations.
Perhaps if PC elitists like yourself weren't so disrespectful and belligerent, developers would be more apt to take your suggestions.
I'm sure Eidos/Nixxes should have accounted for all the people that wanted to use their flight-sticks/headtracking units/GameGun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JXjDSvXZrY)/hacked Kinects/etc.
It's a port to PC. They provided support for the 2 most popular control methods used on PC right now. You can't seriously expect more than that out-of-the-box.

Good luck with your refund, bud.

nuchbutter
23rd Aug 2011, 17:02
I'm using a Saitek Pro Gamer Command Unit with the joystick set up as an analogue axis. I've tried the ADSW for years, and all that config does is give me carpal tunnel syndrome, locks my movement to 360, 090, 180, and 270 directions in only one of two predetermined speed-of-advance, and ties up three fingers that can otherwise find better functionality.

If you haven't tried the blissful combination of mouse-aim, analogue thumbstick movement, and four free fingers on your left hand operating up to 64 ergonomically-efficient, programmable and macro-enabled buttons, then there is an available upgrade to your gaming experience. You only have to reach out and seize the opportunity... :thumb:

Doh! Never mind! The developers have somehow managed in the last few years to completely eradicate our options, and have subverted freedom with the MS 360 pad paradigm that's holding pc-titles hostage.

If we're going to have to suffocate inside the config-restricted xBox, then I'm going to economize, sell my pc, get an IPad for e-Chores, and just buy all my game titles for the console.:mad2:

The main reason I buy the PC versions is for the promise of customization to shape a personal gaming experience. The PC set used to consist of members who were willing to improvise, adapt, and overcome the constraints set upon them by the startup configurations. Used to be, within the Options-Controls menus of all the AAA pc games, we could set up 6-9 different joysticks/input devices with all kinds of axes operating exactly as our whimsical little hearts desired. Then lately, we've had to dive into the deep dark realms of the nether-nerd-.coms to find the one or two underemployed geek-savants who've figured out the nebulous code of the config files. Now, especially with this title, we can't even go into a .cfg file to set our controls up how they best work for us.

What if I had been an amputee from Afghanistan with only one human hand and a hook for an arm on the other? How the hell am I supposed to configure this game? Last I checked, SARIF hasn't yet opened for business in the real world...:confused:

nuchbutter
23rd Aug 2011, 17:08
Perhaps if PC elitists like yourself weren't so disrespectful and belligerent, developers would be more apt to take your suggestions.
I'm sure Eidos/Nixxes should have accounted for all the people that wanted to use their flight-sticks/headtracking units/GameGun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JXjDSvXZrY)/hacked Kinects/etc.
It's a port to PC. They provided support for the 2 most popular control methods used on PC right now. You can't seriously expect more than that out-of-the-box.

I don't really want a refund. I'm just already mad with everything that's happening all around us, and I was hoping that the DXHR release would provide some, well, release.

So I went off the handle. I apologize. Now that I've vented, I'm calmed down.

It looks great so far, and am enjoying it (except for the control scheme and the tendonitis I'm developing on top of my left hand) immensely.

sea
23rd Aug 2011, 17:12
It's pretty common these days for PC games to only support the Xbox 360 controller. That said, most newer gamepads support the XInput standard, so you don't have to be tethered to Microsoft if you don't want to. But no, your flight stick and racing wheel from 2001 won't work. Sorry.

nuchbutter
23rd Aug 2011, 17:19
You could buy a wired controller instead. It's cheaper than the wireless controller from the start, and doesn't require a wireless adapter because, y'know, it's wired.

I appreciate this doesn't solve the issue you have here exactly, but don't make out like buying a wireless 360 controller + dongle is the only way to use a controller, or even a 360 controller, on PC because it's simply not the case.
That's the trouble. I don't want to play it with the pad, because I've already got an Xbox 360. I want a completely different experience on the pc than when I'm online with the 12yr old quick-scoping Black-Ops bunny hoppers. I actually have both the wired, the wireless with dongle, and a MS XBox 360 wheel that I've used for my pc racing games.

And I challenge the assertion made by admin in a post above that 99% of pc gamers use only a console pad or the keyboard / mouse combo (which, if you read my reasoning in another post in this thread, I make a case for a much more efficient and ergonomic control scheme).

I just want to map the analogue axes of my Saitek Pro Gamer Command Unit. If any of you out there have the Logitech G13, you may also know of what I speak...

Happy
23rd Aug 2011, 17:21
The developers have done it again. Dumbed down the PC version, etc, etc

Really? You play this game with a "joystick?"

Boy - I'm an old school gamer and yet I still have to ask, "how?"

I only used a joystick for flight based movement...

Anyway - you seem like a very angry person over such a minor issue - I used to be that person too. Let me encourage you to buy and read the book, "Hold onto your N.U.T.s." In it you'll find some great tips on how to put the "little boy" in his place and man up and be the man you always wanted to be - which includes learning how to deal with over-the-top anger.

All the best!

Happy :)

Edit/ I just saw the post where you calmed down - good on you man! Maybe still get the book though - it will change your life :)

SysOpPsyche
23rd Aug 2011, 17:27
It's pretty common these days for PC games to only support the Xbox 360 controller. That said, most newer gamepads support the XInput standard, so you don't have to be tethered to Microsoft if you don't want to. But no, your flight stick and racing wheel from 2001 won't work. Sorry.
Actually yes they will, if the input config handles are exposed (ie. thru a config file or virtual device input handler [XInput is restrictive/DInput has some issues] to link the non-standard device thru an emulator/input transformer/converter program. Its also standard practice in PC programing to expose those handles, for compatibility issues & disability access at least.

Game developers have been getting lazy about doing that in the past few years which is probably part of the reason the PC game market is suffering.

[addendum: My perspective is from Disability/Accessibility issues, though I have seen some very expensive setups some of the more serious/hardcore gamers use and can understand the issue with their 'investments' not being usable due to PC developers not fully supporting the standards of PC's (compatibility, plug and play, etc.)]

nuchbutter
23rd Aug 2011, 17:30
Really? You play this game with a "joystick?"

Boy - I'm an old school gamer and yet I still have to ask, "how?"

I only used a joystick for flight based movement...

Anyway - you seem like a very angry person over such a minor issue - I used to be that person too. Let me encourage you to buy and read the book, "Hold onto your N.U.T.s." In it you'll find some great tips on how to put the "little boy" in his place and man up and be the man you always wanted to be - which includes learning how to deal with over-the-top anger.

All the best!

Happy :)

Edit/ I just saw the post where you calmed down - good on you man! Maybe still get the book though - it will change your life :)
Happy, pls see my apology above. I did not resort to name-calling of any individuals in this thread. In the business I'm in, we vent quickly, get it out of the way, and proceed with the mission. While my tone may have been initially harsh, it's a practiced response that gets everyone's attention focused on an issue at hand, and lends it a certain sense of urgency. Because of the training we get in my community, everyone knows that the first outburst is not personal, and that urgent tasking, critical information, or even life-saving direction will immediately follow.

So, may I beg your indulgence to consider my points that I'd like some options, please.

nuchbutter
23rd Aug 2011, 17:31
Actually yes they will, if the input config handles are exposed (ie. thru a config file or virtual device input handler [XInput is restrictive/DInput has some issues] to link the non-standard device thru an emulator/input transformer/converter program. Its also standard practice in PC programing to expose those handles, for compatibility issues & disability access at least.

Game developers have been getting lazy about doing that in the past few years which is probably part of the reason the PC game market is suffering.
Thank You, SyOps!

Happy
23rd Aug 2011, 17:38
Happy, pls see my apology above. I did not resort to name-calling of any individuals in this thread. In the business I'm in, we vent quickly, get it out of the way, and proceed with the mission. While my tone may have been initially harsh, it's a practiced response that gets everyone's attention focused on an issue at hand, and lends it a certain sense of urgency. Because of the training we get in my community, everyone knows that the first outburst is not personal, and that urgent tasking, critical information, or even life-saving direction will immediately follow.

So, may I beg your indulgence to consider my points that I'd like some options, please.

Hey man - yes I did see your apology - did you see my edit?

Wasn't commenting on name calling - just the out of place anger. If it's a common theme in your workplace you may want to do a little self-reflection. I used to be a chef - some of the angriest people in the world. It was "OK" for those of us in the industry - but it wasn't really - my anger just proved I was not able to man-up.

You don't need my indulgence.

nuchbutter
23rd Aug 2011, 17:38
Actually, it's not a flight stick I'm using. It's the Pro Gamer Command Unit, which is like an auxiliary keyboard for your four fingers, with an analogue thumbstick on the side. Google it, you'll see the photos, and maybe even wonder why you haven't had one all these years!

For older titles like Battlefields 1942, 2, and 2142, this little pad with the thumbstick made my pc gaming a joy. I could configure it simultaneously with my Saitek X45 flight stick, a set of pedals from a racing wheel, a mouse, a trackball, and anything else for which I still had USB ports available.

fyi, the Xbox 360 racing wheel came out considerably after 2001...

nuchbutter
23rd Aug 2011, 17:44
Hey man - yes I did see your apology - did you see my edit?

Wasn't commenting on name calling - just the out of place anger. If it's a common theme in your workplace you may want to do a little self-reflection. I used to be a chef - some of the angriest people in the world. It was "OK" for those of us in the industry - but it wasn't really - my anger just proved I was not able to man-up.

You don't need my indulgence.
Got it, thanks!

Please don't think I'm an angry person, I'm just really passionate!

But seriously, in my line of work, we often don't have the time for self reflection or introspection. When things are going bad, and I do mean bad, we use a quick burst to release what we've got to say, and then it's dissipated. A heck of a lot better for us than holding it in and letting it build until we're so distracted we can't perform what we're supposed to do to stay alive...

Abram730
24th Aug 2011, 15:14
Logitech makes xinput controllers starting in the $20-$30 range.
f310 f510 f710

Xinput is better so new games use it.
FPS is better with mouse and key though.... but I do like that the option is there.

jaywalker2309
24th Aug 2011, 15:17
Well you know the dev guys are reading these posts.. who is to say what happens in the future..

WhiteZero
24th Aug 2011, 15:35
Well you know the dev guys are reading these posts.. who is to say what happens in the future..

I'd be very surprised if they released an update that added features like this. Typically AAA titles will release with feature-lock, and only provide break-fix patches moving forward.

But hey, Eidos already dropped X amount of dollars on Nixxes to support the PC version, so maybe.

nuchbutter
24th Aug 2011, 21:53
Logitech makes xinput controllers starting in the $20-$30 range.
f310 f510 f710

Xinput is better so new games use it.
FPS is better with mouse and key though.... but I do like that the option is there.
Abram, thanks for the reply, but as far as FPS being better with just keyboard and mouse, well, read my reasons for why I believe it's not. You'll have to wade through some of the emotionally charged rhetoric, but please understand that I wrote that at the crest of a fit of pique:

"I'm using a Saitek Pro Gamer Command Unit with the joystick set up as an analogue axis. I've tried the ADSW for years, and all that config does is give me carpal tunnel syndrome, locks my movement to 360, 090, 180, and 270 directions in only one of two predetermined speeds-of-advance, and ties up three fingers that can otherwise find better functionality.

If you haven't tried the blissful combination of mouse-aim, analogue thumbstick movement, and four free fingers on your left hand operating up to 64 ergonomically-efficient, programmable and macro-enabled buttons, then there is an available upgrade to your gaming experience. You only have to reach out and seize the opportunity...

Doh! Never mind! The developers have somehow managed in the last few years to completely eradicate our options, and have subverted freedom with the MS 360 pad paradigm that's holding pc-titles hostage.

If we're going to have to suffocate inside the config-restricted xBox, then I'm going to economize, sell my pc, get an IPad for e-Chores, and just buy all my game titles for the console.

The main reason I buy the PC versions is for the promise of customization to shape a personal gaming experience. The PC set used to consist of members who were willing to improvise, adapt, and overcome the constraints set upon them by the startup configurations. Used to be, within the Options-Controls menus of all the AAA pc games, we could set up 6-9 different joysticks/input devices with all kinds of axes operating exactly as our whimsical little hearts desired. Then lately, we've had to dive into the deep dark realms of the nether-nerd-.coms to find the one or two underemployed geek-savants who've figured out the nebulous code of the config files. Now, especially with this title, we can't even go into a .cfg file to set our controls up how they best work for us.

What if I had been an amputee from Afghanistan with only one human hand and a hook for an arm on the other? How the hell am I supposed to configure this game? Last I checked, SARIF hasn't yet opened for business in the real world..."

anyway, that being said, now I can't even get the game to recognize the (wireless or wired) 360 controllers I have plugged in to my pc with all updated drivers that seem to work with all my other games. And there is absolutely nowhere within either the game or its folders and files to create a work-around.

This is really frustrating. All in the same week that my Grandmother died, my wife won't be home for a month, I just witnessed the return of a young Marine LCpl's body from Afghanistan, and I just found out, two hours ago, that one of my Sailors might have advanced lung cancer. And he's never smoked cigarette one.

Plus I've developed a tendency to write in run-on sentences. Dammit to heck.

flib
24th Aug 2011, 23:05

It's not a port to PC. The game was developed for console and PC system simultaneously.

Rorschach_
24th Aug 2011, 23:22

Wow. I can't even play the game, and I'm nowhere near angry. Hell, I'm just slightly annoyed.
There are better things to get angry over. Like taxes.

neilthecellist
25th Aug 2011, 02:22
The beta had better controls. They deleted basic usability functions such as using WASD and E to activate hacking and look through emails, now I have to use the mouse for it.

Even GMAIL in real life allows users to use keyboard shortcuts. J and K to cycle through mail, ENTER to select, A to archive, D to delete, R to reply, F to forward, page up and page down to go through your mail (or arrow keys)

Seriously, when you think about it, it's like the beta for DX:HR had usability modeled after predicted technological advancements in 2027. The final release for DX:HR looks like email that just started in 1999.

Laokin
25th Aug 2011, 12:07

One would imagine that someone smart enough to mess around with binary addresses would understand that there are programs that make that task MUCH easier to accomplish...

And they work with DXHR too.

Programs like "Joy2Key" and "Xpadder" for starters.

P.S.

You just made yourself look a tad bit silly.

Oh and yeah, there are Xbox360 Controller emulators out there too... so, yes -- given you use the right programs... you will indeed have analog movement on your joy. Research is your best friend, mate.

lobo77
30th Aug 2011, 12:24
Settle down boys, I've got a workaround for xbox 360 controllers (southpaw and legacy) here> http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=120358

And btw, joy2key and xpadder are great alternatives. But they don't always work right. And when they do, they don't always feel right. It takes tweaking, quit game, tweak some more, quit game, tweak some more...repeat adnauseum.

JohannVII
30th Aug 2011, 21:37
Umm, the leaked beta only supported two buttons on my mouse and decided any other one should randomly adjust the tracking sensitivity. I disagree wholeheartedly that its input config was better; I'm much happier with the release input configuration.

That said, I completely agree that PC releases should expose configuration files, if for no other reason than to make workarounds for various glitches easier (texture mapping feature X not working with your configuration? Disable it!), given the wide variability of PC hardware. This is the curse of the present gaming market segmentation, though: even if titles are co-developed for PC and console, a lot of developers are, at this point, more familiar with console development and aren't necessarily thinking about things like accessible config files.

@The Eidos mod who was kind enough to respond: we consider this "dumbing down" because it removes/hides configurable features. This makes things easier for your average (dumb) user/console gamer, but at the expense of power user configurability i.e. it caters to the lowest common denominator, which doesn't generally describe the PC segment of the gaming crowd. Gamers who want the least possible hassle/configurability go for consoles anyway, as it's a standardized platform and therefore frequently has fewer bugs, at the expense of configurability and top-of-the-line performance. This isn't a dig at console gamers, just noting that their priorities are often different, hence the platform choice. "Dumbing down" is about depth - in terms of gameplay, this often refers to removing genre-standard elements in order to cater to a console's limited control scheme and less-geeky (that may or may not be an accurate stereotype) and therefore less-detail-oriented console gamer (for example, I found all of the buzz around Halo to be utterly confusing, since the single player combat was rote and the multiplayer was nowhere near as interesting and flexible as the original Unreal Tournament, released two years earlier on an already-aging engine). In this case, it refers to the lack of configuration customization.

The guy posting "OMFG THE HUD WONT WORK FIX IT OR REFUND MYMONEY!!!111" over in the amalgamated HUD bug thread will probably be overwhelmed by a config file, but there's really no reason to not expose it to the rest of us. If any Devs wind up reading this, look to Valve for an example of how to do configurability. Sure the Source engine's massive, constantly-expanding cvar list is intimidating to newbies and casual gamers, but they don't ever have to touch it. It's just there if server admins or power gamers or the mod community needs it. I think Eidos Montreal did an excellent job with the design and implementation; I think many of the complaints are going to be overlooked details like this (I mean, I'm a PC gamer who started with Rebel Assault on a Mac Quadra almost twenty years ago, and I would have never though to include joystick configuration on this title, though the analog-stick movement option makes sense to me), and if you're responsive to the community, you might be able to build a PC gaming following as rabidly loyal as Valve.

Also, I did find the E-to-hack functionality convenient. And a radar-size increase in conjunction with the radar-distance increase would be great, too.

nuchbutter
31st Aug 2011, 21:42
One would imagine that someone smart enough to mess around with binary addresses would understand that there are programs that make that task MUCH easier to accomplish...

And they work with DXHR too.

Programs like "Joy2Key" and "Xpadder" for starters.

P.S.

You just made yourself look a tad bit silly.

Oh and yeah, there are Xbox360 Controller emulators out there too... so, yes -- given you use the right programs... you will indeed have analog movement on your joy. Research is your best friend, mate.
Have you been able to get them to work? I have not, and am desperate to find some work around for this.

Because this game is that frakkin' good! even if I have to get carpal tunnel syndrome, or play it like a console with the 360 pad.

nuchbutter
31st Aug 2011, 21:47
Thank You, Johann, for your thoughtful reply! :)