PDA

View Full Version : CINEMATICS - All Discussion - Q&As - Forthcoming patch? Etc

WhiteZero
23rd Aug 2011, 13:52
Just started playing this morning, have already encountered 2 crash-to-desktops during the game cinematics. First was in the opening cinematic and again during the intro scene where Sarif Industries is burning.

The crash shows a windows event with the following info:
Faulting application name: dxhr.exe, version: 1.0.618.8, time stamp: 0x4e4a9c63
Faulting module name: nvwgf2um.dll, version: 8.17.12.7533, time stamp: 0x4dd7339d
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x001b0a8a
Faulting process id: 0x1290
Faulting application start time: 0x01cc6196b7d9338c
Faulting application path: o:\steam\steamapps\common\deus ex - human revolution\dxhr.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\nvwgf2um.dll
Report Id: db93c614-cd8d-11e0-8798-00508db6d9fb

I'm running nVidia driver 275.33 for my GTX 570. 275.33 is the second to newest driver. I didn't upgrade to the latest due to people complaining about issues with it. I'm running the game in DX11.

After the cinematic crash, I can relaunch and get through the cinematic, till it happens again on a different one. I'll keep playing and see if this pattern continues.

jaywalker2309
23rd Aug 2011, 14:01
Just started playing this morning, have already encountered 2 crash-to-desktops during the game cinematics. First was in the opening cinematic and again during the intro scene where Sarif Industries is burning.

The crash shows a windows event with the following info:
Faulting application name: dxhr.exe, version: 1.0.618.8, time stamp: 0x4e4a9c63
Faulting module name: nvwgf2um.dll, version: 8.17.12.7533, time stamp: 0x4dd7339d
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x001b0a8a
Faulting process id: 0x1290
Faulting application start time: 0x01cc6196b7d9338c
Faulting application path: o:\steam\steamapps\common\deus ex - human revolution\dxhr.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\nvwgf2um.dll
Report Id: db93c614-cd8d-11e0-8798-00508db6d9fb

I'm running nVidia driver 275.33 for my GTX 570. 275.33 is the second to newest driver. I didn't upgrade to the latest due to people complaining about issues with it. I'm running the game in DX11.

I'll keep playing and see if this pattern continues.
Have you tried running non dx 11? see if the issues carries over?

WhiteZero
23rd Aug 2011, 14:04
Have you tried running non dx 11? see if the issues carries over?

If/when it happens again, I'll try that.

Dullahan
23rd Aug 2011, 15:18
I've been getting the same issue in both DX 10 and DX11 mode. On an ATI set up too. (Crossfired 5850s)

EDIT:

It's started popping up with the following error.

Disc error while reading file BIGFILE.000

breckster
23rd Aug 2011, 15:53
System specs:

GA-EP43-UD3L
Quad Core Intel (Forgot clock speed.)
XFX 6850 + Latest stable drivers.
2 GB of RAM.

Game plays great, but cut to in game cinematic, and random crashes. 1st time when Typhoon demoed in opening, 2nd time in helicopter, etc. Restarting gets me through the cinematic, but then crashes on a later one.

jaywalker2309
23rd Aug 2011, 15:56
System specs:

GA-EP43-UD3L
Quad Core Intel (Forgot clock speed.)
XFX 6850 + Latest stable drivers.
2 GB of RAM.

Game plays great, but cut to in game cinematic, and random crashes. 1st time when Typhoon demoed in opening, 2nd time in helicopter, etc. Restarting gets me through the cinematic, but then crashes on a later one.

Chasing up for you..

Randomtask
23rd Aug 2011, 17:05
I've had cinematic issues as well however when the cinematic crashes it hard locks the entire system and nothing but hitting the reset button on the tower gets me out of it. With my current graphics card I can only play it in DX10 mode and it just keeps locking up.

System Specs
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)
Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
6GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 295 running 280.26 driver
EVGA Motherboard

The only way I can play the game at all is by skipping each cinematic before they get anywhere which isn't any fun at all. Help me resolve this problem!

WhiteZero
23rd Aug 2011, 17:25
Just to report, I haven't had another crash like this since the 2nd one I had. Looking good so far. Still in DX11 mode.

breckster
23rd Aug 2011, 17:42
To be more specific, this is a full system lockup. Image freezes on screen, sound sample repeats endlessly. Cannot hotkey to desktop, full system reboot required. Also, running Windows 7 proffessional. If you need DirectX versions, etc, I can provide.

Checked bios, no overheat warnings, have adequate power supply, coolermaster case, etc. So I'm reasonably certain the system is performing fine, but open to suggestions.

Dullahan
23rd Aug 2011, 17:45
In my case, it would always freeze at the exact same point in the cinematics. (and I could just skip them and continue playing as normal)

Anyway, Steam wasn't properly verifying the integrity of the game files and my DX set up seemed to have corrupt files (wouldn't let me run it) so I'm reinstalling the game from scratch now, hopefully this will resolve the issue.

GrayKnight
23rd Aug 2011, 18:06
I'm also getting a cutscene freeze at the same moment every time. After the first few firefights in the beginning of the game in the burning Sarif labs, you walk past an opening, some guy with red arms is about to punch something, and that's when it freezes. Every time.
I have to go into task manager to end the game process, which is labeled "Is not responding".

This is getting frustrating.

WhiteZero
23rd Aug 2011, 18:11
In my case, it would always freeze at the exact same point in the cinematics. (and I could just skip them and continue playing as normal)

Anyway, Steam wasn't properly verifying the integrity of the game files and my DX set up seemed to have corrupt files (wouldn't let me run it) so I'm reinstalling the game from scratch now, hopefully this will resolve the issue.

I went ahead and did a Verify Cache as well, though it didn't tell me it found any issues (I think normally it will tell you specifically what was wrong), Steam did do a 12.8MB download after the verify. So maybe there was something wrong with my cache.

Dullahan
23rd Aug 2011, 18:19
I went ahead and did a Verify Cache as well, though it didn't tell me it found any issues (I think normally it will tell you specifically what was wrong), Steam did do a 12.8MB download after the verify. So maybe there was something wrong with my cache.

The issue I was getting was it would do like 3% and then just skip to "all files verified"

I even went and purposefully deleted some files and ran it again with the same results.

Jean Bon
23rd Aug 2011, 23:14
Does the cinematics are compressed or something like that? The game run on ultra on my PC (resolution 1920 x 1080 ) and look really great ! But the citematics are all pixelled and not looking really great... Any solution?

Thanks! By the way excellent game!

Sharkey1337
23rd Aug 2011, 23:25
Yeah, I have it on Xbox and the cinematics are horribly compressed. I think it's like this on all the consoles, but man talk about disappointing after how gorgeous the trailers are for the game.

Dullahan
23rd Aug 2011, 23:27
A lot of games use pre-recorded videos for cutscenes for some reason. (You'd think it'd be easier on disk space just to do them in real time, considering they almost always are rendered in the game engine anyway)

Of course, since these are almost always made for consoles they don't tend to look very good scaled up to a high resolution. (And tbh, Bink videos look like **** anyway 100% of the time)

oldmen
23rd Aug 2011, 23:27
the cutscene quality is AWFUL! if you're going to throw this many of them into the game, you should really think about making them look decent

Jean Bon
23rd Aug 2011, 23:55
Look like the old cutscene of Final Fantasy VII on Playstation. The biggest disappointment of the game so far.

Arksun
24th Aug 2011, 00:29
Is it the same quality on the PC version?, mine's yet to arrive (UK, pre-ordered physical copy)

Seems odd they would compress it soo hard, especially given how lush the pre-rendered stuff looked on those initial trailers. That's what drew a lot of people in the first place.

FuzzyPuffin
24th Aug 2011, 01:46
Yes, same on PC version.

moose o death
24th Aug 2011, 11:27
it is at least a mixture though. the pre rendered stuff seems to be when scenes change too fast or the characters are doing things non-gameplayey. if it's just chatting in a vtol it's in engine.

Hun0410
24th Aug 2011, 11:49
The low resolution cutscenes really do make the visual experience inconsistent. I play on PC with highest possible settings at 1080p resolution and the cutscenes look like sub-HD videos. I find this unacceptable. I still love the game but why on earth they chose to compress the CGI cutscenes is beyond me especially on the PC where storage space is not an issue. I guess on the xbox they were trying to fit it onto one dual layer dvd. But it's stupid to do the same on PC with huge hard drives and PS3 with bluray.

A patch with HD resolution cut scenes is a must!
Eidos, Please take this seriously.

Jean Bon
24th Aug 2011, 15:50
Yeah, I want HD resolution cut scenes too!

NotAgOat
24th Aug 2011, 19:48
Why did you move my thread? This is neither a review nor an opinion. It is a request to the developers. It wont be seen buried in this sticky. Please move it back. Thank you.
Thanks Coyotegrey.

Great game slightly marred by highly compressed cinematics. The Intro vid's are all in HD, not none of the cines are. I realize its probably ~6+ GB for HD videos but PCs don't have a HD space issue like consoles do.

Keep bumping this thread until it happens.

Consoles actually have higher res cinematics than the PC, WTF is going on!?

I honestly wonder why the cinematics weren't just done in-engine. The actual game looks much better than the cinematics.

Yeah I thought something was up when the review videos were all blocky and looked like ass.

You get Square.. (same people behind the tech demos... err films FF:TSW and FF7:AC) one of the best FMV studios on the planet.. and you make them do low resolution video.....

Are you freaking insane!?!

Definitely a HD patch is necessary. Really I'm shocked that the reviewers didn't point it out more. In this day and age its not acceptable to release low resolution pre-renders in production.

Game still hasn't unlocked yet *sigh* but this greatly disappoints me.

Yes, I second this as an optional patch (not sure how optional patches operate on Steam though). Generally I hate the use of FMVs at all in video games when an intelligent use of the engine is incomparably more impressive than even the best FMV unless you're dealing with low-fidelity graphics like say in the original Starcraft but poorly compressed FMVs are just abhorrent.

Definitely the low res FMVs should be on the top of the list for issues. So much for AAA. Deserves a sticky.

mad825
24th Aug 2011, 19:54
Keep bumping this thread until it happens.

Then you my friend, have earned the proud title of being a troll.

Serious: No surprise on my part, DA2, Crysis2 apparently had "low textures" and I though it was an EA thing.

FatalSylence
24th Aug 2011, 20:01
Anyone have an idea as to the combined length of the CGI in this game? As in, how many hours long are the cutscenes. Just trying to get an idea for how long it would take them to re-render the CGI. (I realize they probably wouldn't need to re-render, but I am just wondering.)

I would assume that it's an easy fix. Just make the uncompressed.. Actually, not uncompressed. That would be too large. Use a better compression technique, then. And make it available as an optional download. I can make my HD videos look pretty darn good and not take up TOO much space.

One hour of the footage from my HDC-TM700 is roughly equal to 5GB. That is uncompressed video, mind you. Well, it may be compressed by the camera, but not by me.

NotAgOat
24th Aug 2011, 21:04
Anyone have an idea as to the combined length of the CGI in this game? As in, how many hours long are the cutscenes. Just trying to get an idea for how long it would take them to re-render the CGI. (I realize they probably wouldn't need to re-render, but I am just wondering.)

I would assume that it's an easy fix. Just make the uncompressed.. Actually, not uncompressed. That would be too large. Use a better compression technique, then. And make it available as an optional download. I can make my HD videos look pretty darn good and not take up TOO much space.

One hour of the footage from my HDC-TM700 is roughly equal to 5GB. That is uncompressed video, mind you. Well, it may be compressed by the camera, but not by me.
Yeah, It is highly doubtful they would have to re-render them. We have already seen several of them in HD in the various trailers for the game. Also, it is standard procedure when making any media of this sort to make them as large as possible as a base and then re-sizing and modifying it for all various other needs.

Sharkey1337
24th Aug 2011, 21:13
Yeah after how gorgeous the trailers were, I was shocked at how crappy the cinemas were in-game. The in-game graphics are definitely superior, so I too was wondering why they couldn't just do the cut-scenes with the engine than what we got with the cinemas.

jerryku7
24th Aug 2011, 21:23
It seems like Square did not do the cinemas for the game after all, only the E3 trailer. Weird if true!

vecima
24th Aug 2011, 22:57
why oh why did they bother with videos? the intro video was fine, but after that they look like crap.

one early in the game has jensen walk into sarifs office. The lighting in the video is TOTALLY different then the actual level. It's so jarring, and the compression makes it look like I'm watching some DSL internet video stream.

The Coca Cola Company
24th Aug 2011, 23:02
+1.

Eidos, Obsidian did this for the PC version of Star Wars: Kotor 2! http://www.fileplanet.com/157381/150000/fileinfo/Star-Wars:-Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II---High-Quality-Movie-Patch

Please make it happen for the PC version of DE:HR! Release it as an optional pack!

The Coca Cola Company
24th Aug 2011, 23:04
It seems like Square did not do the cinemas for the game after all, only the E3 trailer. Weird if true!

It's true, Goldtooth rendered them.

loinbread
25th Aug 2011, 00:18
I support this. I've played many other games where developers have elected to use pre-rendered cutscenes in recent generation games instead of rendering them in-engine, and the results are always disappointing and cause the games to age far quicker.

sinosleep
25th Aug 2011, 01:00
Why oh why do PC games keep doing this garbage? Mass Effect 2 was the same thing, great in game graphics paired with cinematics so grainy it was like watching a stream on on a 56k connection. Either go in game or give us HIGH RESOLUTION video.

NotAgOat
25th Aug 2011, 19:00
Does anybody know if Eidos employees actually check these forums?