PDA

View Full Version : PERFORMANCE / SYSTEM / DRIVERS & GRAPHICS / SSAO / DX11 - All Issues & Discussion

miraa
23rd Aug 2011, 13:43
NPCs look like this:

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/595820718079825869/16E78D0AC3DF9339BA7996386BC4B1FD22130BAA/

However there are shadows behind Adam in third person:

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/595820718079826675/B12C42EC19FB0275A8468DC99C119156715A2C54/

They also seem to exist for Adam and the NPC during takedowns:

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/595820718079828253/D215B1733EFEE363A9D8BEF48A219E1E3D6A835F/

So anyone else have this problem or know what the cause might be?

sea
23rd Aug 2011, 13:54
As far as I know, this isn't a bug. Just how the game handles things - shadows in more important scenes, without giving every single random NPC one. It's a performance-saving measure, though I admit it'd be nice to be able to just disregard performance and crank them all up anyway.

miraa
23rd Aug 2011, 13:55
Oh ok, it doesn't bother me or anything I was just wondering if it was a glitch or something wrong with my card

Good to know that its normal I suppose, thanks

Foxpass
23rd Aug 2011, 14:06
http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad315/smisch55/2011-08-23_00002.jpg

At the resolution displayed here, it may not be easy to see, but you should notice black dots next to her mouth and around her neck line. Those are not freckles but flickering dots that are very obvious at 1920x1080.

Most distracting on light colored objects under direct light, but visible everywhere, or at least on all character models.

PC graphics specs are
Intel i7 860
GTX 470
280.26 NVIDIA drivers

Tried all combinations of graphical settings, SSAO on/off, AA all levels and off, etc. Dots still appear. Other games do not show similar anomalies.

tet5uo
23rd Aug 2011, 14:08
I think it's something to do with tesselation. I see them too with my GTX 480's unless I turn it off.

Foxpass
23rd Aug 2011, 14:09
Yep, I just noticed the other thread, and that was one thing I had not thought to check. Wanted to delete my post, but you guys are too quick!

Incidently, this was occuring with the previous NVIDIA driver as well. I had just updated by way of troubleshooting.

felipaopl
23rd Aug 2011, 15:08
Don't know if this was answered yet by any mod or dev, but setting my game to SSAO on high does absolutely nothing, at least as far as I can see. The game still looks good, but the SSAO on the consoles looks way more "prominent". Examples...

PC shot:

http://i.imgur.com/wCBrX.jpg

Console shot:

http://i.imgur.com/jdfaL.jpg

So, is this normal?

Playing with a GTX 580, latest drivers.

The Coca Cola Company
23rd Aug 2011, 16:26
Yes, SSAO from characters on walls doesn't work, please Eidos/Nixxes fix this!

PC shot:
http://i.imgur.com/k0uax.jpg

Console shot from trailer:
http://i.picpar.com/beaaba219de0f4608e096360ecbe038b220acab8.jpg

Eidos/Nixxes mentioned a lot of times how the PC version was supposed to have better SSAO than on consoles, but it's just not there! Please fix this!

U4IASTRM
23rd Aug 2011, 16:28
My system specs are

Windows XP 32bit SP3
GTX 285
2GB DDR2
E8400 C2D 3.0ghz

Graphics, sound drivers are up to date. Nvidia 280.** released 8/19/11

Running the game on my widescreen HDTV so the resolution is a bit weird. It is 1192x768. My first attempt to play the after pressing "new game" resulted in a CTD. I had the settings set to what I would think is medium-low. FXAAx2, Post processing on, V-synch on, Trilinear box checked, shadows off(not a big fan of shadows and how much hardware power it takes to render them), Anisotropic 2x, SSAO and DOF both on. I lowered everything down to the very lowest it could go, and unchecked everything else. I could trying bring in my old CRT and run in 1024x768. I pressed okay, and the error persisted. I restart the computer, same thing. I am unable to play a new game. The main menu is as far as I can get.

I have no anti-virus software running. Basically a clean install of Windows. It has only been a week. Plenty of HDD space. Processes are at a minimum. All that is needed for Windows XP, and sound and video. 22 Processes show in the task manager. I do have the evga precision tool running to check temps with an on screen display but turned it off in hopes of finding a conflict.

My video card is slightly dated yes. Could probably use another couple of sticks of ram. But I can run Rift at medium settings @30-50fps depending on where I am. Graphics are not a priority right now, I just want the game to run. Thanks in advance.

John Smith
23rd Aug 2011, 17:00
I've got sort of an odd variation of your problem. I booted the game up and played through the intro section. Everything worked fine, but the video settings were all on high by default and it seemed like my computer was having a little trouble running it (a little stuttering/frame rate problems). I paused the game lowered FXAA to low. As soon as I exited the menu the game crashed with the "not enough resources, try lowering your settings" message.

I played around with the settings, and it turns out that every time I try to LOWER the settings the game will crash. I can only play with the game on the default/highest settings. It's honestly kind of funny- I've never played a game that encouraged me not to lower my video settings.

Here are my specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
nVidia GT 330M
4 GB RAM
Intel Core i7 CPU @2.67 GHz

Another side note: on the Setup page, the "Use Direct X 11" tab is grayed out, even though Direct X 11 is installed and working fine.

sea
23rd Aug 2011, 17:20
SSAO is definitely there, but as you say, it's not visible on character models, only the environment. Didn't notice that myself until you pointed it out.

Fen_Star
23rd Aug 2011, 18:06
I have noticed that even if I change the AA back to high it still gives me the error message, I have to reset to defaults.

windows 7 64bit 4G ram GTS250

U4IASTRM
23rd Aug 2011, 18:19
I did mess with the settings before starting up the first time. I have since played with some more. I can get into a new game by leaving everything unchecked except V-sync. Doesn't v-sync require more resources? Ill try resetting to default as well, to see if it changes. Its funny that it just CTD instead of running shi**y. I mean Hey, I can tell when my settings are too high for myself thank you very much. My wife's equinox has no dipstick to check tranny fluid either. My game, my computer, let me deal with that.

U4IASTRM
23rd Aug 2011, 18:26
Okay then, good call Mr. Smith. I reset to defaults, and it did not crash. My card is running a tad hot(75) atm, and still getting 45fps. I left everything at default. I wonder if it auto-detects hardware? Cool beans, so the thing to do is nothing. I have got to learn that.

Xax
23rd Aug 2011, 19:44
It was fine when I first played the game, it was fine. But my second time going back into it, it's now quite dark. I haven't changed the display settings. The brightness/luminosity setting hasn't changed. Any ideas?

jaywalker2309
23rd Aug 2011, 19:47
It was fine when I first played the game, it was fine. But my second time going back into it, it's now quite dark. I haven't changed the display settings. The brightness/luminosity setting hasn't changed. Any ideas?

Hm fact it was fine once, suggests its something thats changed in settings, somewhere. have you tried quitting the game and going to the setup program and resetting to default, see if that helps?

Solid_1723
23rd Aug 2011, 19:48
This was an issue with the leak already. Try holding shift while double clicking you shortcut. But tabbing out of the game and back in eliminated this "fix".

dorkus1218
23rd Aug 2011, 21:08
I solved this problem by switching from MLAA to FXAA HIGH for anti-aliasing (which, according to http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/08/22/deus_ex_human_revolution_performance_preview/3, is a better choice anyway.)

Note - I was able to keep tesselation on with no speckles after switching to FXAA HIGH. I'm using a GTX 460 1GB

Evil Champ
23rd Aug 2011, 22:05
Hi all - new to forum and game more on that below - but first I have a question.

I have a super computer and want to run this on the highest possible settings. I'm not sure what they are because the language isn't familiar. I don't know if triple buffering is a good or bad thing. I don't know which AA setting is the best.

That being said, is there some tech savy dude / gal that knows what the maximum settings are?

About me:

Never played Deus Ex. I thought this game was going to be a flop. After reading the reviews and learning what this game was all about I purchased this sucker on Steam last night. Very excited to play and I'm going to try and beat the game without killing anyone on my second run.

I also collect retro games, mainly on SNES and PS1. I like long walks on the beach too and listening to jazz music lol

Thanks!

Abram730
23rd Aug 2011, 22:43
q9650
GTX 470
280.26 NVIDIA drivers

I had the issue but changed to FXAA.. Solved
This is common to Nvidia cards and many games.. It's related to anti-aliasing. Partly the game and party the drivers.

There is another way to fix it with Nhancer I think. You force compatibility mode for AA
If somebody has those instruction please post.. If needed I can do a search, but I'm off to play the game.

Lethys
24th Aug 2011, 02:27
I have a very strange issue with my game's graphics. At first, everything ran fine but then I'd wanted to load a save. The game stopped and froze, requiring me to Ctrl+Alt+Del out of the game. I tried playing again and the game now has a strange graphical issue where everything appears to have a second, non-colored version of itself right behind it, and the images in-game bleed. So if there is a character in front of me, for example, then the same character appears in black and white behind that. This also happens with all objects. The result is a screen with graphics that are just simply unplayable.

I've tried reinstalling the game, but it did not work. I tried defragging through steam as well but that did not work either. My graphics driver is up to date. I was running the game very well prior to this, so I know the problem is not whether or not I can run the game.

My specs:

Windows 7 64 bit
Graphics: GTX 560M from Nvidia
Proc: Intel Core i7-2630QM
12 gigs of RAM DDR3

My laptop is a brand new MSI GT683R. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

sathorael
24th Aug 2011, 03:38
I'm trying to run Deus Ex, but the game thinks I'm running a 4870, instead of the 5870s I have, and thus won't let me enable dx 11 mode. this is frustrating, and I cannot tell if it's an ati driver issue or a bug. Anyone have a similar issue?

FuzzyPuffin
24th Aug 2011, 03:48
Did you try updating your drivers? You can do this through Steam.

Xiph
24th Aug 2011, 04:27
Deus Ex: Human Revolution error

A problem has occured with your display driver. Your system may not have enough resources to run the game at the selected settings. You can retry using the same settings, or adjust them to lower settings. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your video hardware, and try rebooting your system to clear up any issues.

Amd Athlon x2 64 5400+ @2.8ghz
Geforce gtx 260 (1gb memory)
4gb memory (1066mhz)
Windows 7 Ultimate

Did i really just waste 50 dollars? The system specs clearly say I should be able to run this game.

-Graphics driver is up to date
-Have powered computer off and back on again
-Verified game cache
-Run as administrator
-Have lowered resolution to 1024x768
-Have disabled AA and set texture filtering to trilinear.
-Am about to uninstall/reinstall game.

Please any assistance would be awesome, Ive waited all day to play this game, and it looks like I may not be able to at all.

tolore
24th Aug 2011, 06:33
I can run the game(albeit choppily) at default graphics, but when I LOWER them(mainly FSAA to low) I get "A problem has occured with your display driver. Your system may not have enough resources to run the game at the selected settings. You can retry using the same settings, or adjust them to lower settings. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your video hardware, and try rebooting your system to clear up any issues."

Again, that's after lowering the settings.

jaywalker2309
24th Aug 2011, 06:55
I can run the game(albeit choppily) at default graphics, but when I LOWER them(mainly FSAA to low) I get "A problem has occured with your display driver. Your system may not have enough resources to run the game at the selected settings. You can retry using the same settings, or adjust them to lower settings. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your video hardware, and try rebooting your system to clear up any issues."

Again, that's after lowering the settings.

What Graphics card do you have? what drivers? Operating system?

tolore
24th Aug 2011, 07:04
OS windows 7.

Video Card Radeon HD 4350

Drivers 8.630.0.0 they are just the drivers I picked up from clicking update drivers, search internet.

edit: it also just seems to be the FSAA, I can turn down all the other settings.

LastQuestion
24th Aug 2011, 07:06
Generally most PC titles will have default graphics settings which are not 'ultra' enabled. So, although I too have no certain idea what triple buffering is(think it might involve the amount of frames which are pre-rendered) you can probably be safe to assume enabling it would improve your experience. As to the other settings, well, it's best to try to familiarize yourself with them to a certain degree. In short, anisotropic filtering is the best, the higher the factor of filtering the better it is visually. For AA CSAA or MSAA are the best, but most intensive, forms of AA. Deus Ex is using two different types of AA which are, low cost, and it's almost preference as to which is better. They each have pro's and con's which place one above the other in different areas. Put SSAO on high. SSAO, well, googling it would give you a better idea. Prob some youtube vids which would fully illustrate it. If you have the option between SSAO and HBAO, select HBAO, it's superior. Except for Depth of Field maxing everything out to the right or down will give you max settings for Deus Ex.

In short:

AA - FXAA High or MLAA
Shadows - Soft
Depth of Field - preference between normal and high
SSAO - high
Post Processing - On
Texture Filter - Anisotropic x16

jimo
24th Aug 2011, 07:24
The SSAO on PC is not broken, but different. We opted to implement a more physically correct algorithm for the PC version that produces dark nooks and crannies as well as proximity shadows. Megan's not casting an SSAO shadow on the elevator on PC, because she is too far away.

Jim Offerman
PC Lead Programmer

ocstew
24th Aug 2011, 07:50
Listen to the dev. The SSAO on consoles looks just like a drop shadow and looks totally wrong when someone is leaning on a wall. You can see it on that elevator panel.

U4IASTRM
24th Aug 2011, 08:53
Start the setup manager and reset the settings to default, and dont touch anything else besides the "OK" button. Then load and see what happens. It worked for me and a few others in here. Good luck man.

moose o death
24th Aug 2011, 09:11
the decals casting ssao is more annoying. totally ruins the illusion when fuzzy square shadows appear around a round rivet.

bughole5
24th Aug 2011, 10:05
the pc version looks really bland and plain.

OtakuD
24th Aug 2011, 11:00
"Megan's not casting an SSAO shadow on the elevator on PC, because she is too far away."

But then why are there no shadows from Jensen on the first screen when he's up on a wall? (just loaded it up now and still cant see anything... Also why are the videos so compressed and ugly compared to consoles?

moose o death
24th Aug 2011, 11:30
on dx11 you get two options for ssao. if your on dx11 have you tried the second option? i set mine to high but it's possible the console version is the other option.

RabbiX
24th Aug 2011, 11:34
I'm currently running Nvidia Drivers: 275.33

This is pretty much due to me being lazy, so just haven't bothered updating them lately. Anyways, been seeing alot of threads concerning mouse issues, stuttering/lag, and little dots and stuff. Many people having problems seem to have pretty good hardware, are using a Nvidia Card, and always state they "Have the latest drivers". I haven't experienced anything like these issues at all. Game seems to run perfectly fine to me.

I can't promise you trying these drivers is the answer to your problem. But hey, I guess it's at least worth shot if you can't really play right now.

My basic setup/settings below:

Win7 x64
i7 2.8GHz (not overclocked)
6GB Ram
7200RPM HD
2x580GTX in SLI (online benches seem to state you shouldn't need this much power to run the game well)
30" Dell
Logitech G9 (Only mention this due to people's control problems. The devs already stated they are not doing any thing special with mouse. G9 does let you set independent acceleration, but I have made no changes for this game)

Game settings(most of these were default for me, so haven't changed much):

(listing what I remember)
Rez: 2560x1200 (16:10 set)
DX11: ON
SSAO: High
AA:MLAA
16xA
Shadows: Normal
Tess: ON
V-Sync: ON
Triple Buffering:OFF

Controls: Mouse - Have left X/Y settings to whatever the default is.

So thats it....no promises and can't say I really want to upgrade my drivers to the latest just to test if I break the game....sorry :) Be great if these drivers do help any of you guys out though. The game is awesome. Good luck, and let others know your results if you try these.

The Coca Cola Company
24th Aug 2011, 11:51
The SSAO on PC is not broken, but different. We opted to implement a more physically correct algorithm for the PC version that produces dark nooks and crannies as well as proximity shadows. Megan's not casting an SSAO shadow on the elevator on PC, because she is too far away.

Jim Offerman
PC Lead Programmer

Hi Jim, I appreciate you/Nixxes visiting the boards to address our concerns.

I know you used a more correct and expensive algorithm for the PC's AO, I've read all the interviews with Nixxes concerning DE:HR. ;)

BUT, as you can see in the first screenshot Adam is using the wall as a cover, he's right next to it as close as possible, but he casts no shadow at all - when he should. Feel free to boot the game, start the first mission, and check it for yourself!

Given the frequent lack of shadows in the game (which isn't your fault), now coupled with the much less frequent or visually prominent use of SSAO in the PC version the game world feels that much less dynamic/alive.

Please review the results on screen when Adam leans on a wall!

moose o death
24th Aug 2011, 11:56
the mouse was too twitchy even for me at default and my mouse is usually set to cross multiple screens with neglible movement of the device. i had to adjust that back in the options. i would have just used the next lower sensitivity button on my mouse (sidewinder with 3 sensitibvity buttons) but it made the newspaper harder to navigate due to slowed mouse movements. adjusting the axis speed in options did not alter the cursor speed in gameplay just aimming.

cyborg34572
24th Aug 2011, 13:03
it does work a bit, kinda hard to notice
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa24/cyborg221/dxhr2011-08-2406-55-48-48.jpg

that kinda ***** cause i like the heavy SSAO effect in games.

RabbiX
24th Aug 2011, 13:43
Moose,

I assume the results you posted were after using these drivers?

I just checked and apparently I don't even have the Logitech G9 drivers/software installed(must have forgot about them after doing a reinstall of the OS sometime back). The G9 has a memory function in it and saves your profiles regardless, couldn't say what they are set to internally TBH, but I am pretty sure the led color its on now was the one I wanted for default so I don't believe its anything special.

Other than that, checked the mouse settings in the control panel. Only thing that stood out was the cursor speed looked to be just a bit over 50% and "Enhanced Pointer Precision" was turned on.

You say you are using more than one monitor. I have a couple aswell. I guess you could try explicitly setting your aspect ratio to what the monitor is if you have left it on AUTO. 16:9 / 16:10. Kind of a long shot, but I had this set in the Game Options dialogue box for the game "The second option when you click PLAY" before I ever actually started the game itself. I guess it could be possible that if the mouse is truly using only windows settings something strange with multiple displays users is going on here. Worth a shot at least if you see its on "AUTO". I would probably set this before starting the game, or set it then exit and reload to really test this theory.

The Lead Programmer posted that they didn't do anything at all that would effect the mouse? If I remember right its suppose to be using just whatever your windows settings are and the only the frame rates would cause issues.

Dunno, can't really think of anything else that may be of help. Good Luck.

cyborg34572
24th Aug 2011, 14:16
I might roll back my drivers to see if my stuttering goes away. I have 2 GTX580's aswell and im getting stuttering atm for god knows what reasons, i hope its just drivers.

felipaopl
24th Aug 2011, 14:45

Jim Offerman
PC Lead Programmer

Thanks for the explanation Jim. Though I think it makes sense in Megan's picture, the screenshot with Jensen standing right next to the wall is kinda "flat". I know that "realistically" there shouldn't be a shadow so "pronounced" as the ones from the consoles, but in this case, I think that's it's a matter of "artistically" cooler.

In any case, glad to know it's not a bug.

cyborg34572
24th Aug 2011, 14:49
Btw TC, why are you using MLAA?. MLAA is an AMD thing, use FXAA for best results with an Nvidia card. They really dont look that much different tho, but MLAA doesnt work properly if you dont have an AMD card, itl look worst than FXAA.

RabbiX
24th Aug 2011, 14:59
I recently read the same. There is no specific reason I am using that. That is just what the game defaulted to. By the time I finally got to fire the game up....after getting off work, putting the kid to bed, etc..it was already pretty late so just wanted to start playing :) Honestly, the only things I think I specifically changed in the Options settings (The ones before you run the game), were changing the aspect ratio to 16:10 and turned SSAO to HIGH. When I first went through the settings I wasn't 100% sure what it should be so left it alone. I think everything else I listed in the first post was just what the game picked itself.

cyborg34572
24th Aug 2011, 15:01
I recently read the same. There is no specific reason I am using that. That is just what the game defaulted to. By the time I finally got to fire the game up....after getting off work, putting the kid to bed, etc..it was already pretty late so just wanted to start playing :) Honestly, the only things I think I specifically changed in the Options settings (The ones before you run the game), were changing the aspect ratio to 16:10 and turned SSAO to HIGH. When I first went through the settings I wasn't 100% sure what it should be so left it alone. I think everything else I listed in the first post was just what the game picked itself.

Can you confirm that you have no stuttering anywhere in the game at all?, cause if you dont then i might really try to rollback to that driver, cause i am getting some insane stuttering when running around in some areas, the fps doesnt even dip, weird.

RabbiX
24th Aug 2011, 15:16
Can you confirm that you have no stuttering anywhere in the game at all?, cause if you dont then i might really try to rollback to that driver, cause i am getting some insane stuttering when running around in some areas, the fps doesnt even dip, weird.
100%....Well I think after putting a few hours in I might have noticed the slightest of hiccups a couple times when going into a new area. Considering the fact that I am trying really hard to remember seeing any stuttering at all, means there is certainly not enough of it for me to think there was a problem.

I'm not running around guns blazing so I can't honestly say if in a fast past setting it would be more apparent. For the first aug mission I was playing on hard, did all take downs , and didn't fire a shot. So yeah, I'm kinda creeping around the whole time. Take that for what you will, if play-style could even come into this.

IMHO, I will say 99% of the time I haven't noticed a stuttering problem. I say if the issue is making the game pretty annoying for you give it shot, what do you have to loose. Granted, Nvidia, Eidos, or both will probably address this in the next couple weeks. Guess its up to you if spending an hour mucking around with the drivers is worth it to you.

May help and it may not, wish I could say for sure. If it does though, some other gamers may love you for confirming it. I honestly can't say from text of the second poster if he was just stating his problems or if he actually tried the drivers. Be nice for at least have one person to try it and give feedback.

Anyways, time for me to call it a night...let us know if you do give it a try.

mustangcharlie
24th Aug 2011, 15:23
Edit: *Experiencing (sp error)

My system specs

Intel I5-2500K 3.4 Ghz (not over-clocked)
8 GB DDR3 RAM (4x2)
EVGA GTX 550 Ti (1 GB GDDR5)
160 GB SSD (for my OS)
1.5 TB HDD (for games)
Windows 7

*Latest NVidia drivers on the video card.

My PC can handle Far Cry 2 on Ultra settings, and based on the published DX HR recommended settings, it should be alright. Before starting, hardware detector adjusted my settings to 1900x1080, DX11, and everything else "normal" with tri linear textures. With these settings, the game chugged pretty hard and I can only guess I was getting between 20-35 FPS at best. Lowering the resolution and the texture detail greatly enhanced the FPS to get smoother gameplay.

I don't really understand why I'm taking such a performance hit here. Is it my video card? 1 gb ram seems like it should be enough to handle a lot. To get better performance in DX, would I need a different card, or would adding another with SLI make up the difference?

cyborg34572
24th Aug 2011, 15:26
100%....Well I think after putting a few hours in I might have noticed the slightest of hiccups a couple times when going into a new area. Considering the fact that I am trying really hard to remember seeing any stuttering at all, means there is certainly not enough of it for me to think there was a problem.

I'm not running around guns blazing so I can't honestly say if in a fast past setting it would be more apparent. For the first aug mission I was playing on hard, did all take downs , and didn't fire a shot. So yeah, I'm kinda creeping around the whole time. Take that for what you will, if play-style could even come into this.

IMHO, I will say 99% of the time I haven't noticed a stuttering problem. I say if the issue is making the game pretty annoying for you give it shot, what do you have to loose. Granted, Nvidia, Eidos, or both will probably address this in the next couple weeks. Guess its up to you if spending an hour mucking around with the drivers is worth it to you.

May help and it may not, wish I could say for sure. If it does though, some other gamers may love you for confirming it. I honestly can't say from text of the second poster if he was just stating his problems or if he actually tried the drivers. Be nice for at least have one person to try it and give feedback.

Anyways, time for me to call it a night...let us know if you do give it a try.

Alright thanks, i will try out those drivers and see if i get any improvements, but first i think ill put my processor clocks to default and see if that fixes anything. Ill report back in a couple of hours , sleepy now lol

EDIT:
Btw almost forgot, whats your max pre-rendered frames in Nvidia control panel?

WhiteZero
24th Aug 2011, 15:31
Edit: *Experiencing (sp error)

My system specs

Intel I5-2500K 3.4 Ghz (not over-clocked)
8 GB DDR3 RAM (4x2)
EVGA GTX 550 Ti (1 GB GDDR5)
160 GB SSD (for my OS)
1.5 TB HDD (for games)
Windows 7

My PC can handle Far Cry 2 on Ultra settings, and based on the published DX HR recommended settings, it should be alright. Before starting, hardware detector adjusted my settings to 1900x1080, DX11, and everything else "normal" with tri linear textures. With these settings, the game chugged pretty hard and I can only guess I was getting between 20-35 FPS at best. Lowering the resolution and the texture detail greatly enhanced the FPS to get smoother gameplay.

I don't really understand why I'm taking such a performance hit here. Is it my video card? 1 gb ram seems like it should be enough to handle a lot. To get better performance in DX, would I need a different card, or would adding another with SLI make up the difference?

That GTX 550 is probably holding you back a bit. My GTX 570 usually gives me 60fps, but walking around the main town, it will chug down to 35-40.

RabbiX
24th Aug 2011, 15:35
Alright thanks, i will try out those drivers and see if i get any improvements, but first i think ill put my processor clocks to default and see if that fixes anything. Ill report back in a couple of hours , sleepy now lol

EDIT:
Btw almost forgot, whats your max pre-rendered frames in Nvidia control panel?
It says 3. I've never changed anything in that area, so guessing that's the default.

There is a thread I saw about stuttering listing some specific areas: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=119695

If this is what you are seeing, I don't experience this. Ok, really need to goto bed now. Good Luck.

WhiteZero
24th Aug 2011, 15:37
Hmm... think I'll try mine with Normal shadows next time. I've been using Soft shadows and all the same settings as you @ 1920x1200, and I get some chugging while running around town.
This is on my GTX 570

mustangcharlie
24th Aug 2011, 15:49
I checked out the GTX 580 specs, and they aren't much different than the 550; it's a difference of about 200 mb. I have a hard time believing that a tiny bit of ram would produce such an improvement. Granted, I'm new to PC building, and am not very familiar with current cards, could it be the manufacturer? EVGA seems to have the cheapest cards, which is why I bought it. Should I maybe look into buying a different branded card?

I'd like to hear from Eidos on this one; does this sound like a hardware issue on my end, or is it possible the game isn't optimized very well for my specific card? It's just frustrating because I built this PC less than 2 months ago. Upgrading it so soon wasn't something I was planning on.

WhiteZero
24th Aug 2011, 16:19
I checked out the GTX 580 specs, and they aren't much different than the 550; it's a difference of about 200 mb. I have a hard time believing that a tiny bit of ram would produce such an improvement. Granted, I'm new to PC building, and am not very familiar with current cards, could it be the manufacturer?

First thing you need to realize is that VRAM (the ammount of MB's your video card has) is not a very good indicator of performance whatsoever.

Now-a-days, you'll want to look at is how many Steam Processors the card has. This is what actually does all the work for graphics rendering. (The way AMD and nVidia count these is different, so you should only compare the amount from within the same brand)

Your GTX 550 has 192 Stream Processor Cores. While the 570 has 480, and the 580 512. Granted, having twice the Steam Processors dose not equal twice the frame rate.

Any cheap video card now-a-days will have at least 1GB of VRAM, but it can't compete with the real high-end cards.

drewho
24th Aug 2011, 16:19
you cant just up the clocks on a 550 call it a TI and get 580 performance
for instance a 550 has just 192 cores where a 580 has 512
Even 2 550's in sli is only as fast as a 570.
You really need to look at some benches comparing the two
**** you beat me to it whitezero

mustangcharlie
24th Aug 2011, 17:35
First thing you need to realize is that VRAM (the ammount of MB's your video card has) is not a very good indicator of performance whatsoever.

Ah, I had no idea. Well thanks for the tech lesson. So overall, the 550 was a bad purchase and even doubling it with SLI won't get the performance boost I'm looking for.

WhiteZero, can you tell me what brand and model your 570 is?

WhiteZero
24th Aug 2011, 17:48
Ah, I had no idea. Well thanks for the tech lesson. So overall, the 550 was a bad purchase and even doubling it with SLI won't get the performance boost I'm looking for.

WhiteZero, can you tell me what brand and model your 570 is?

Well, the GTX 550 is not a bad card by any means. You just get what you pay for. A $130 video card will give you less performance than a $300 video card. ;)

My GTX 570 is the stock EVGA one. Here (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130613).
Make sure your power supply has enough juice for a more powerful video card.

terathen
24th Aug 2011, 21:22
I get the following error when trying to play with DX11 enabled.

Description:

Faulting application name: dxhr.exe, version: 1.1.620.0, time stamp: 0x4e53c8bd
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x6300a6c0
Faulting process id: 0x43c
Faulting application start time: 0x01cc6296e4e23093
Faulting application path: g:\games\steam\steamapps\common\deus ex - human revolution\dxhr.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: c8da59c5-ce8a-11e0-a50d-001fbc022c39

PC Specs:
Windows 7 x64
CPU: Core i7 920
GPU: PNY GTX 580
RAM: 6gigs corsair
HDD: corsair nova 128gb ssd
Newest available non-beta Nvidia drivers being used.

I've tried every combo or settings with DX11 enabled and it crashes anywhere from a few seconds in to 3-4minutes.

DX9 has not crashed yet.

I have tried a new user profile and looking for the phantom ati files with no luck.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Edit: added OS and driver note.

Saloei
24th Aug 2011, 22:45
Oh, that explains why I can play at 1900x1200 and still get over 100FPs with everything maxxed out! Broken graphics settings?! This game's textures/effects do look a bit bland for a 2011 PC game.

Jovena
24th Aug 2011, 22:52
Oh, that explains why I can play at 1900x1200 and still get over 100FPs with everything maxxed out! Broken graphics settings?! This game's textures/effects do look a bit bland for a 2011 PC game.

While I am enjoying the game I have to agree with this comment. Even on high settings the graphics look nothing like what I expected after seeing videos and trailers etc...rather disappointing. Oh and the video cut scenes look truly awful (imho)!

fugazi70
24th Aug 2011, 23:34
I have 2 GTX 580's and was wondering if it will support sli and what are the best settings to use?

Iron and Copper
24th Aug 2011, 23:49
As far as I know, this isn't a bug. Just how the game handles things - shadows in more important scenes, without giving every single random NPC one. It's a performance-saving measure, though I admit it'd be nice to be able to just disregard performance and crank them all up anyway.

I paid good money to have a set up that can handle these graphical issues and not suffer performance. A lot of people have, it's part of why people like pc gaming. Not Eidos' place to make that call. They should be looking to make a game that looks as good as a high end rig can handle and let me worry about the performance settings. Even on low you can give every 'random' npc a freaking shadow. DE had them, they were rubbish but they were there in all their disc like glory.
Considering the liberties they took with body proportions as an art style choice, I don't see why the pc version gets what they've called 'a more realistic ssao treatment' that just doesn't look as interesting, and I don't think it looks any more real either

Xiph
24th Aug 2011, 23:50
I still have this problem, any possible solutions?

loinbread
25th Aug 2011, 00:02
A problem has occured with your display driver. Your system may not have enough resources to run the game at the selected settings. You can retry using the same settings, or adjust them to lower settings. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your video hardware, and try rebooting your system to clear up any issues.

Amd Athlon x2 64 5400+ @2.8ghz
Geforce gtx 260 (1gb memory)
4gb memory (1066mhz)
Windows 7 Ultimate

Did i really just waste 50 dollars? The system specs clearly say I should be able to run this game.

-Graphics driver is up to date
-Have powered computer off and back on again
-Verified game cache
-Run as administrator
-Have lowered resolution to 1024x768
-Have disabled AA and set texture filtering to trilinear.
-Am about to uninstall/reinstall game.

Please any assistance would be awesome, Ive waited all day to play this game, and it looks like I may not be able to at all.

Xiph, I am also experiencing this problem and have a similar graphics adapter to yourself. Here are my system specifications:

Intel Core2Duo E8500
4GB PC2-6400 RAM
Gigabyte GTX 260
Windows 7 64-bit

I've rebooted, reinstalled my video drivers several times, tried all different combinations of graphics settings, verified the game cache on Steam, reinstalled DirectX and am about ready to throw in the towel. It's really quite saddening, too, as I was able to run the beta perfectly fine (is it permissible to admit this on the forums?) and yet the final retail copy does not run on this PC. I feel this is a problem inherent to the game itself and the way it interacts with this video card, perhaps. I know it's a rather tired argument to say what I'm about to say, but I do not have any problems running any other games on this PC. Fallout: New Vegas (with advanced graphics mods and shaders), GTA IV (on modest settings), Crysis 2, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Alpha Protocol, Mount & Blade: Warband, Mafia II, From Dust - I have played all of these within the last fortnight so I'm certain that there hasn't been any new problems with PC that have recently cropped up.

Please find a solution for this Eidos! We should be able to play your game.

Edit: argh! Why did our thread get merged with this one? Consolidating everyone's issues into one master thread isn't going to help, it's only going to cause individual problems to get overlooked. :(

Xiph
25th Aug 2011, 00:19
Thread got merged and I dont see a eidos responder

Well, I guess pc gaming is dying. Sad. eidos is yet another company on my growing list of companies that I do not support and do not purchase games from. Sorry Eidos, but if I cant get this game running you will see no more money from this guy. Im so dissappointed steam does not give refunds right now.

Edit: Sorry loin, If we get a response that would go a long way. This is just the 3rd game in a row that I have purchased that has had more than a few issues at launch. I hate to admit this but we need more blizzards and more biowares in this world, if a game isnt 100% ready, you just shouldnt release it. :(

Ill continue to monitor this thread to see if we can get some sort of answers.

loinbread
25th Aug 2011, 00:25
Thread got merged and I dont see a eidos responder

Well, I guess pc gaming is dying. Sad. eidos is yet another company on my growing list of companies that I do not support and do not purchase games from. Sorry Eidos, but if I cant get this game running you will see no more money from this guy. Im so dissappointed steam does not give refunds right now.

Edit: Sorry loin, If we get a response that would go a long way. This is just the 3rd game in a row that I have purchased that has had more than a few issues at launch. I hate to admit this but we need more blizzards and more biowares in this world, if a game isnt 100% ready, you just shouldnt release it. :(

Ill continue to monitor this thread to see if we can get some sort of answers.

As someone who strongly defended many of Eidos' gaffs before release (region locking, retailer-specific DLC, etc), I'm still hoping that they can resolve this issue. They've made good in the past and I'm hoping they'll still make good with PC gamers for the foreseeable future. It's a hard sell for a major, AAA-studio/publisher to win my money and I'd like to think I haven't made the wrong choice here.

loinbread
25th Aug 2011, 02:36
I have an update to my issue: after reinstalling my drivers (for a fourth time - I had to use several driver cleaner applications and manually nuke all latent registry entries/dll instances of the Nvidia graphics drivers, and then reinstalling the latest 280 driver version WITHOUT 3D Vision drivers) I can run the game, but I still get the crash and "a problem has occured with your display driver" error if I set my Antialiasing Mode to "FXAA Low" or "FXAA Medium".

Xiph: try uninstalling your video drivers, rebooting, using Driver Sweeper, rebooting, using any other decent freeware driver cleaner apps you can find, rebooting, then installing the latest Nvidia video drivers, reboot, and start up the game. A lot of hassle, but maybe a previous iteration of the drivers installed an extension for GTX260 users that became redundant and was never removed when it should have been.

Xess
25th Aug 2011, 12:16
Dell U2711; Asus rampage III extreme; Intel Core i7 920@3,9Ггц; Nvidia GeForce gtx580 2w-sli; 16Gb ddr3

Have 2 problems.
1: Crash after changing resolution or dx.
2: http://i037.radikal.ru/1108/eb/6172fc0208f2.bmp - 3d is disabled . The same picture is on low settings. It is unplayable cause of pixelate everything. And i cant fix it - problem is not with settings - i turned all the options on and off. And try to play with sli off.

Xiph
25th Aug 2011, 18:24
Have done all suggestions, have filed ticket on square support forums too. (I even created another windows profile)

I am very ashamed of how this stuff is handled.

To Eidos: To me, Video games are an art form. It is the ultimate offense to release artwork that is not yet complete. If your publisher (square) is forcing you to release an unfinished product, you should push back, and tell them its not complete. I will never purchase another square title, or another Eidos title because of this. Stop releasing crap because you have to meet a deadline. Make sure your product is ready for market, or you will go out of business.

Ill no longer visit this forum.
Good luck to everyone else.

supersheep3000
26th Aug 2011, 01:38
Getting the same issues as the OP.

Saying I don't have enough memory, lower settings ect. Now, I KNOW I have a PC good enough to run it and really haven't had problems like this before with any other game. I want to play so bad :

WIndows 7 64
4870x2
4GB Ram
2.4Ghz Duo core.

natpjohnson
4th Sep 2011, 21:31
Is there no way to just do away with the driver manager thing and adjust my setting without being booted? Why am I not able to see for myself whether my card can run in certain settings? There is an option in the registry to disable the driver manager but it doesnt seem to care what I set the value to.

Honestly, how has this not been resolved yet? Its been over a ******* week.

I cannot play the game on these terrible settings when I know my card can handle more.

Edit: Oh great, word censorship - That doesnt add to the agitation at all....

NixxesSoftware
4th Sep 2011, 21:54
I am not sure what gives you that impression, but there is no such thing as a 'driver manager' in the game. The registry option that is mentioned toggles an internal D3D option that allows a game to disable resource management implement by the driver, and instead use resource management in D3D. It doesn't otherwise alter the game behavior at all.

When the message is displayed about a driver/resource problem this is not based on some heuristic that makes the game think it cannot run, it is because some operation related to D3D/the display driver has actually failed.

The most typical reason for this is the driver running out of memory (either video memory or system memory), or a driver bug.

However, what you may be running into here is a problem has been reported in the DX9 version where the Low and Medium FXAA modes can cause this message to appear. Until this is resolved we would recommend trying to either use Edge AA or set AA to Off. You should be able to change most other settings without issue.

natpjohnson
5th Sep 2011, 01:43
I am not sure what gives you that impression, but there is no such thing as a 'driver manager' in the game. The registry option that is mentioned toggles an internal D3D option that allows a game to disable resource management implement by the driver, and instead use resource management in D3D. It doesn't otherwise alter the game behavior at all.

When the message is displayed about a driver/resource problem this is not based on some heuristic that makes the game think it cannot run, it is because some operation related to D3D/the display driver has actually failed.

The most typical reason for this is the driver running out of memory (either video memory or system memory), or a driver bug.

However, what you may be running into here is a problem has been reported in the DX9 version where the Low and Medium FXAA modes can cause this message to appear. Until this is resolved we would recommend trying to either use Edge AA or set AA to Off. You should be able to change most other settings without issue.

If I change it from high to anything at all it gives me that error. Its stuck in high - that's the only way I can play.

And it has to be a driver bug, because just turning the AA lower or off makes it give me that message.

Ive also noticed that making any drastic changes in settings at one time will absolutely make it crash, but if I just do like one change, go back to the game, make another change, etc. I have a better chance of not crashing.

God this is annoying