PDA

View Full Version : "Unable to reserve 512MB of address space."

Rbhl
23rd Aug 2011, 13:32
I get this error when trying to start the game. I have tried restarting Steam and the computer, but this does not help. My PC does meet the system requirements. Any ideas?

jaywalker2309
23rd Aug 2011, 13:34
I get this error when trying to start the game. I have tried restarting Steam and the computer, but this does not help. My PC does meet the system requirements. Any ideas?

Specs? graphics card?

This sounds very graphic card like in error terms.. are you ati?

Rbhl
23rd Aug 2011, 13:36
Windows XP
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.00GHz
2GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
SB X-Fi Audio

jaywalker2309
23rd Aug 2011, 13:40
Windows XP
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.00GHz
2GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
SB X-Fi Audio

Spookily aside from ram (i have 3GB) you have the exact same spec as one of my pc's.. i run the game on this fine.. and the game doesnt need 3GB to run.

I just did a quick lookup of that error and i only find it in 1 place, talking about people who have the illegal version.. which version are you running? boxed copy installed? preload version?

Rbhl
23rd Aug 2011, 13:41
Definitely not an illegal version. I pre-ordered it from Steam.

jaywalker2309
23rd Aug 2011, 13:42
Definitely not an illegal version. I pre-ordered it from Steam.

You US based etc?

Rbhl
23rd Aug 2011, 13:43
Yes.

jaywalker2309
23rd Aug 2011, 13:46
Yes.

Had to check your as account is set GMT as your timezone, thought it defaulted to your local zone if you were in US would be set to that thas all, maybe wrong there. :)

Update - its not graphics memory its trying to allocate 512MB of at the beginning, but system ram. Do you have many other apps running?

Eidos Support
23rd Aug 2011, 14:28
How much video memory is on your graphics card? Is your BIOS set to assign 512mb or more to your graphics card?

littlecats
23rd Aug 2011, 14:52
I have the same error. I have a steam preorder at 11:30 pm, it started the download as a preload but finished it as a released download at 12:55 am. I defraged my c drive. My system specs are.

dell
win xp
ati hd 4800 series with 1024mb memory
p 3.40
3.39 ghz 2.00meg of ram
298 gb c drive with 152 gb free space

jaywalker2309
23rd Aug 2011, 14:54
I have the same error. I have a steam preorder at 11:30 pm, it started the download as a preload but finished it as a released download at 12:55 am. I defraged my c drive. My system specs are.

dell
win xp
ati hd 4800 series with 1024mb memory
p 3.40
3.39 ghz 2.00meg of ram
298 gb c drive with 152 gb free space

its not graphics memory its trying to take 512MB of, but system ram.. how much system memory do you have? have you got a lot of tools etc running?

Rbhl
23rd Aug 2011, 14:59
I don't have much running (just usual antivirus etc.). According to Task Manager, my available physical memory is approx. 1,175,000K.

littlecats
23rd Aug 2011, 15:16
its not graphics memory its trying to take 512MB of, but system ram.. how much system memory do you have? have you got a lot of tools etc running?

This line came from the my computer properties and was under the pentium line. 3.39 ghz 2.00meg of ram
Not sure if that's the system memory but I think it is.

I have zone alarm and steam running right now. I have big fish games, amazon, ea, gog, and causual game companies' game downloaders in my system but they should only run when their games are open, I think. I have the sims mediveal game set to report back to ea but I haven't played it for a while. I have that mccaffrey anti virus thing that comes with the adobe or the flash player update. I keep forgeting to tell it not to download that when I update.

jaywalker2309
23rd Aug 2011, 15:19
This line came from the my computer properties and was under the pentium line. 3.39 ghz 2.00meg of ram
Not sure if that's the system memory but I think it is.

I have zone alarm and steam running right now. I have big fish games, amazon, ea, gog, and causual game companies' game downloaders in my system but they should only run when their games are open, I think. I have the sims mediveal game set to report back to ea but I haven't played it for a while. I have that mccaffrey anti virus thing that comes with the adobe or the flash player update. I keep forgeting to tell it not to download that when I update.

Ahh i think all those downloaders happily launch themselves when you log in am afraid so taking precious memory :( if they are in the systray they are running, try exiting out of them..

ibuchbin
23rd Aug 2011, 18:49
Ahh i think all those downloaders happily launch themselves when you log in am afraid so taking precious memory :( if they are in the systray they are running, try exiting out of them..

I'm having the same issue. The only thing I can think of is that I'm running PC through bootcamp. I don't have much of anything running in the background and I certainly have enough memory. Is there a way I can manually reserve the 512 mb, a setting of some sort?

I also pre-ordered the game through Steam last night

Specs:
Windows XP
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
2.39 GHz, 1.97 GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

Risingred
23rd Aug 2011, 18:55
I'm having the same issue. The only thing I can think of is that I'm running PC through bootcamp. I don't have much of anything running in the background and I certainly have enough memory. Is there a way I can manually reserve the 512 mb, a setting of some sort?

I also pre-ordered the game through Steam last night

Specs:
Windows XP
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
2.39 GHz, 1.97 GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

Kind of. I don't know if you can do this through bootcamp, but you'd have to raise your VRAM up a bit. It isn't as fast as your "regular" RAM but it would allow you to play.

Other tweaks are a bit more complicated.

ibuchbin
23rd Aug 2011, 18:59
Kind of. I don't know if you can do this through bootcamp, but you'd have to raise your VRAM up a bit. It isn't as fast as your "regular" RAM but it would allow you to play.

Other tweaks are a bit more complicated.

How do I raise my VRAM?

NixxesSoftware
23rd Aug 2011, 19:04
This issue is not related to VRAM but to main memory available to each application. Resident tools that hook into every application are likely eating away memory causing it to be unable to allocate 512mb of memory. The solution would have to be found in removing other resident applications you have on top of a regular Windows 7 install.

ibuchbin
23rd Aug 2011, 19:13
This issue is not related to VRAM but to main memory available to each application. Resident tools that hook into every application are likely eating away memory causing it to be unable to allocate 512mb of memory. The solution would have to be found in removing other resident applications you have on top of a regular Windows 7 install.

My task manager says it has more than enough memory to run it. well over a gig

tetsumaru90
23rd Aug 2011, 22:17
I got the same problem. Man this sucks. If anyone has anything to try, I'm glad to hear it. I bought it off steam and pre-loaded it. I've updated my video card drivers and steam client. I've also tried verifying and defraging the files. I got nothing.

Windows XP
Intel Pentium (R) D 2.8 Ghz
3.25gb of ram
directX 9.0 C
NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 with 1024mb memory

Risingred
23rd Aug 2011, 22:35
How do I raise my VRAM?

In bootcamp? I can't really be sure. I don't have experience with the emulation. :(

Wouldn't raising the VRAM be a possible workaround?
This is one of the more complex tweaks I was referring to.

ibuchbin
23rd Aug 2011, 22:57
So, I just spent about an hour with an NVIDIA representative and after exhausting every option we're positive it's not the gcard.. either the game or something else...

"The recommended card is 9 series & above. However, I see that the 9600 GT has 64 cuda cores where as the 9600M GT has 32 cuda cores. So this could be a reason you are getting this error." That's the only thing he could find.

Butters
23rd Aug 2011, 23:03
Same problem here. Thru Steam, click "play" button and get errror "CDC unable to reserve 512mb of address space". Same message if I launch from the .exe file in Steam Apps folder for the game. Tried everything mentioned here and everything else we can think of.:mad2: I have tried several Steam remedies and managed to get it to do an update instead of going right to the address space error, but it still ends up at that error after the update. Every time, update or no update. Oh, once or twice I got an error that the game was unavailable, but then it went right back to the adress space error. I have a support ticket in now at Square Enix. If they help, I will pass it on.

Thomac
23rd Aug 2011, 23:15
Wouldn't raising the VRAM be a possible workaround?
This is one of the more complex tweaks I was referring to.That would only make the problem worse, as the maximum addressable amount of regular memory (Virtual or otherwise) on a Windows XP install is;

4 GB - 256 MB - VRAM

Of course, that's simplifying it greatly but it's accurate enough to make the point; if you've got a graphics card with 1 GB VRAM you'll never be able to touch more than ~2.7GB of memory regardless of how much memory you've got installed, so increasing the amount of VRAM available in the system (Somehow) would just be shooting yourself in the foot in this case.

ericdb
24th Aug 2011, 03:21
I am having this same issue, but get this. The game was running fine at first, but due to intermittent choppy game play at the highest resolution, I decided to uninstall some games to free some hard drive space, updated and run AVG, updated Zone alarm (just as routine), run disk clean up, and run defrag. Then this started happening after. Odd. I hope this helps someone figure out a solution. I am going to try and turn off AVG, zone alarm, and reinstall.

Intel 2 2.13 CPUs : 4GB RAM : ATI Radeon 5800 series, 1GB

ericdb
24th Aug 2011, 03:50
I also ran a registry cleaner, and deleted all temp internet files and cookies.

ibuchbin
24th Aug 2011, 04:00
From what i've heard Zone Alarm has something to do with it.

littlecats
24th Aug 2011, 04:17
From what i've heard Zone Alarm has something to do with it.

I turned off zone alarm and I still get the error.

I have run into an error like this before in games and I can usually fake the game into running by clearing my hard drive's space to a higher GB number than the Mb number that is needed to run the game.

For instance this happened to a tombraider game that needed 250 MB to install, my hard drive had 150 GB free space. I couldn't install the game until I had over 250Gb free space on my drive.

edited to make sense, since I was talkiing to someone in rl when typing this post.

celticbird
24th Aug 2011, 04:20
Same issue here. I have the Retail Copy.

Win XP 32 (Fully updated)
Core2 Q6600 2.4
4Gig Ram
Radeon HD 5770 (latest drivers)
More than enough hard drive space

Even tried disabling almost all programs in the background (systray). Even put the Windows Performace Values in System Advanced Tab to adjust for Best Performance. Tried tweeking my bios.

All still same message.

ericdb
24th Aug 2011, 05:09
This is maddening. I was through the intro almost! Everything was working fine!

I tried uninstalling AVG and Zone Alarm. Then uninstalling and reinstalling the game. No go.

I didn't do anything else that should have an effect.

Butters
24th Aug 2011, 06:06
I am having this same issue, but get this. The game was running fine at first, but due to intermittent choppy game play at the highest resolution, I decided to uninstall some games to free some hard drive space, updated and run AVG, updated Zone alarm (just as routine), run disk clean up, and run defrag. Then this started happening after. Odd. I hope this helps someone figure out a solution. I am going to try and turn off AVG, zone alarm, and reinstall.

Intel 2 2.13 CPUs : 4GB RAM : ATI Radeon 5800 series, 1GB

I tried a similar thing. I shutdown Avast permanently, deleted the game from Steam then reinstalled, still getting the address space error. I left Zonealarm running though. Curious what happened to you.

Rbhl
24th Aug 2011, 08:07
Everyone, try updating ZoneAlarm. I think that may have fixed it. I updated ZoneAlarm and then, before restarting the computer to complete the installation, I tried the game and now it's got as far as the setup.

jaywalker2309
24th Aug 2011, 08:09
@Rbhl - Ooh, *fingers crossed* :)

littlecats
24th Aug 2011, 10:23
I have the free zone alarm version and it didn't work for me.

I did get to see the first video that ends at the back of Adam's head, ( I think that was the character's name) before it crashed on my win 7 computer. After asking my husband to set it up for me agian. He took it away because I think the video card is bad but I couldn't give him specifics as to why it always crashed the video. He told me I needed to tell him what I did when the comptur crashes the video card. I'm not going to be able to tell him that the game didn't crash the card because I see a thread about it crashing during the cutscenes.

As for my win xp computer I still get the address space error after updating zone alarm.

littlecats
24th Aug 2011, 10:36
It works!

I totally un-installed zone alarm and it works! I'm getting off line I have no protection on my computer right now.

jaywalker2309
24th Aug 2011, 11:19
@littlecats - glad to hear you found what was causing your system to not have enough memory :)

littlecats
24th Aug 2011, 11:49
@littlecats - glad to hear you found what was causing your system to not have enough memory :)

I re-installed zone alarm and the error came back but I'm not going online without it. When I play the game agian, I'll un-install za and then reinstall when I'm done playing.

ericdb
24th Aug 2011, 16:00
Yep, that did it. You have to remove ALL traces of Zone Alarm, including the tool bar. That cannot be what is taking up all the memory though, can it? I play other games fine that require that much memory. If not, it would be cool if a ZA patch could be developed.

littlecats
24th Aug 2011, 17:00
Yep, that did it. You have to remove ALL traces of Zone Alarm, including the tool bar. That cannot be what is taking up all the memory though, can it? I play other games fine that require that much memory. If not, it would be cool if a ZA patch could be developed.

I downloaded the 30 day trial for zonealarm security suite and still got the error.

Butters
27th Aug 2011, 15:33
I uninstalled AVAST. Rebooted. Ran the game and it worked. I left the game running while I reinstalled AVAST. So far so good, but all I did was load it up and start the game then quit a few times. Crossing me fingers.