PDA

View Full Version : Eidos Montreal Was Inspired By Konami's Metal Gear Solid.

Free 7hinker
23rd Aug 2011, 06:27
Metal Gear Solid was definitely one of Deus Ex: Human Revolution's inspirations (aside from the original Deus Ex):

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqcvcqaNxm1qer56zo1_500.jpg

Adam Jensen and Solid Snake high five over Deus Ex: Human Revolution's review scores! haha

http://jayjaybe.tumblr.com/post/9272786794/solid-snake-adam-jensen-high-five-over-the-dxhr

GameSpy also mentions how much the game reminded them of MGS. I thought the same for a while. The game has a MGS-vibe to it, especially from a cinematic/story-driven/stealth-action perspective. Both games also share similar settings/themes/visions that coincide with the "real-world".

Hell, even some of the environments and mechs look like they're straight out of the MGS universe. I also found the enemies to be very reminiscent of the enemies in MGS, from their patterns to some of the things they say while searching for Adam Jensen.

Ironically, Metal Gear Solid WAS my favorite game of all-time (Deus Ex @ #2), but Deus Ex: Human Revolution is officially the first game to ever top it in 13 years. I feel like it's the "MGS", and "Deus Ex", of this generation.

Solid Snake may have retired, but Adam Jensen has respectfully filled his shoes.

Cerulean Shaman
23rd Aug 2011, 06:30
The bro force runs strong in these two.

jtr7
23rd Aug 2011, 06:32
There's no "proof" needed. They've listed their influences several times in interviews and Q&As.

TheYouthCounselor
23rd Aug 2011, 06:35
Further proof that Metal Gear Solid was one of Deus Ex: Human Revolution's inspirations (aside from the original Deus Ex):

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqcvcqaNxm1qer56zo1_500.jpg

Adam Jensen and Solid Snake high five over Deus Ex: Human Revolution's review scores! haha

GameSpy also mentions how much the game reminded them of MGS. I thought the same for a while. The game has a MGS-vibe to it, especially from a cinematic/story-driven/stealth-action perspective. Hell, even some of the environments and mechs look like they're straight out of the MGS universe. I also found the enemies to be very reminiscent of the enemies in MGS, from their patterns to some of the things they say while searching for Adam Jensen.

Ironically, Metal Gear Solid WAS my favorite game of all-time (Deus Ex @ #2), but Deus Ex: Human Revolution is officially the first game to ever top it in 13 years. I feel like it's the "MGS", and "Deus Ex", of this generation.

Solid Snake may have retired, but Adam Jensen has respectfully filled his shoes.

I agree with what you said except for the cinematic part. Every entry in the Deus Ex series including this one tells their story through the gameplay. Every MGS game tells the story through cinematics.

Free 7hinker
23rd Aug 2011, 06:44
There's no "proof" needed. They've listed their influences several times in interviews and Q&As.

That's awesome. Can you link me to any of those interviews/Q&As?

Free 7hinker
23rd Aug 2011, 06:46
I agree with what you said except for the cinematic part. Every entry in the Deus Ex series including this one tells their story through the gameplay. Every MGS game tells the story through cinematics.

The game definitely has cut scenes, though. They may not be as long, but they still add to the cinematic presentation. There are definitely more cut scenes in this game than the original DX.

xaduha
23rd Aug 2011, 06:52
Meaaw!
mIf50BFFReY

thanos
23rd Aug 2011, 12:00
You really expect me to believe that /\ is real ?

I might if I had never played the game.
but seeing as I have,and the fact that the video has jump gaps,this is fake.

Merely a doctored video where it repeats itself at certain times.

jtr7
23rd Aug 2011, 12:05
Did he tell you what you were supposed to think?

Kameleon
23rd Aug 2011, 12:58
Eidos Montreal has nothing to do with MGS.

thanos
23rd Aug 2011, 13:04
He is correct.

They will control your mind,implant ideas within your brain,they are..........Psycho Mantis.

xaduha
23rd Aug 2011, 14:28
You really expect me to believe that /\ is real ?
No, Mr. Bond.

Free 7hinker
23rd Aug 2011, 15:02
Even 1UP.Com saw the similarities:

It's kind of funny, because the game is constantly giving me a "Metal Gear, except better" vibe

That Metal Gear vibe pervades every aspect of the game. The boss designs, if not the fights, look like characters right out of an MGS title. Even the way the bosses are set up, as an elite unit of augmented badasses, feels a bit like FOXHOUND or the Sons of the Boss.

Some of you guys have a difficult time understanding comparisons/analogies. I'm not surprised, though, because many people are literal/straightforward thinkers than metaphorical/abstract thinkers.

vallux
23rd Aug 2011, 15:13
That is one manly bro-fist.

Enraged Penguin
23rd Aug 2011, 15:27
Even 1UP.Com saw the similarities:

Some of you guys have a difficult time understanding comparisons/analogies. I'm not surprised, though, because many people are literal/straightforward thinkers than metaphorical/abstract thinkers.

I thought it looked MGS..y right from the offset to be honest. There are literally hundreds of similarities. Nothing huge, but there's a lot of subtle things. The art style is quite similar, then there's the near future setting where people have developed a reliance on machines, the stealth camouflage, Adam's takedowns (the non-lethal ones anyway) are all very CQC looking and sounding, and even some of the augs themselves. I know that there were no "augs" as such in MGS, but if you look at some of the designs, namely Adam's arms, there's a clear similarity between them and the look of some of the more biomechanical things you see in MGS4. Or even Solid Snake's sneaking suit. Look at the concept art of Adam reclining with his shirt off, smoking a cigarette, and then look at a picture of Snake in MGS4. Check out the arms on his suit.

And that's Big Boss in that picture, not Solid Snake :mad: *nerd rage*

MaceUk
23rd Aug 2011, 16:06
If this was anything like MGS I wouldn't be here now or have bought the game.

Free 7hinker
23rd Aug 2011, 21:27
If this was anything like MGS I wouldn't be here now or have bought the game.

I asked Jean-Francois Dugas:

"Aside from the original DX & Blade Runner, DX:HR also has a significant MGS-vibe to it. Was DX:HR inspired by MGS at all?"

His response was:

"It certainly was a series among our favorites ;)"

I think that says enough.

sahdev_92
23rd Aug 2011, 21:29
Great picture btw.

Two of my favourite game characters. :)

greenfish
23rd Aug 2011, 21:33
As an old MG fan, I have to say.... There hasn't been a proper Metal Gear Solid gameplay game since MGS1 and 3....

MGS2 and MGS4 are interactive movies in my opinion, storywise they really went too cheessy with MGS4.

Deus EX 2 (invisible war was just a bad dream) is a superior game to the most recent MGS games, because you can actually PLAY your characther in the game and you're not FORCED to watch a cut scene every 5 seconds or so.

[FGS]Shadowrunner
24th Aug 2011, 08:40
Sorry was too busy mapping and modding DXMP to play MGS, so I only notice the DX1, ME, Splinter, Rainbow stuff.

sonicsidewinder
24th Aug 2011, 08:49
No, Mr. Bond.

:lol: nearly died.