PDA

View Full Version : Boss Battles

Mobius32
22nd Aug 2011, 17:47
Most of the reviews of HR are pretty damn positive, but many of them cite forced boss battles as one of the main problems of the game, especially if you decided to go for a more stealthy/less Rambo playthrough.

Are you worried about these (I believe they said 4) boss battles, or do you think the reviewers are exaggerating/nitpicking?

JCpies
22nd Aug 2011, 17:56
In stealth you can stockpile ammo and save them for the boss fights.

nakedhand
22nd Aug 2011, 18:06
In stealth you can stockpile ammo and save them for the boss fights.

Do you know if that means that you can´t get "Ghost" rating (no killing and no detection, as far as I gathered from this forum) when ever there is a boss in the level?

I would hope that there are multiple ways of dealing with "bosses" and not only [deal 1.000.000 hit points worth of damage]. But I am a dreamer.

Charadesmith
22nd Aug 2011, 18:10
Not worried because the Barret fight was fine and perfectly doable in stealth runs.

Brockxz
22nd Aug 2011, 18:12
Well if you are playing hacking social type then at Barret boss fight (Give me Deus Ex difficulty) you will have a hard time killing him without stealth or combat augs to support it. I managed but it was not really supported for that type of players.

Graeme
22nd Aug 2011, 18:22
Firstly, I think that the attention that the boss fights are getting is disproportionate to the annoyance they actually cause in the game. Why do I say this? Well, as a reviewer, you have to give positives and negatives. Even if the positives are 98% of the game and the negatives are 2%, the review will inevitably dedicate more than 2% of its content to the negatives of a game. And so it is inevitable that the negatives are exaggerated.

Secondly, I think that the problem with the boss fights is not so much the fights themselves but the context in which they occur. Trying to come up with ways to kill whoever it is you're trying to kill, just by using what is in the room and your inventory, forces you to be creative; I'm fine with that. What I'm not fine with is that they feel very 'set-piece'-ish. It's as though a whole map is "a boss fight map". The original game worked them into the story so well that there was 3 different places you could kill Anna Navarre. It felt much more fluid.

thanos
22nd Aug 2011, 18:25
Metal gear 4 did the same thing,you could be a stealth type,but you still had to fight the bossess.

Enraged Penguin
22nd Aug 2011, 18:26
Well if you are playing hacking social type then at Barret boss fight (Give me Deus Ex difficulty) you will have a hard time killing him without stealth or combat augs to support it. I managed but it was not really supported for that type of players.It didn't really look like stealth worked against him either. If you actually intend to fight him head on then it looks as though the only option is straight up combat.

Although I've seen plenty of videos where people have absolutely destroyed him using no augs or weapons at all. I can't remember what video it was but there was one on youtube where the player was picking up yellow gas canisters and throwing them at him, causing him to choke. And then the player started grabbing red explosive barrels to throw at him whilst he was choking, since at that point he was unable to shoot back. He died when he got hit by the third explosive barrel too, it was over in under a minute.

Jordasm
22nd Aug 2011, 18:31
I don't really mind, I did a stealth playthrough with the leak and took Barrett down fine. MGS4 did the same thing, stealth through everyone, then fight laughing beauties or whatever they were called.

Brockxz
22nd Aug 2011, 18:38
It didn't really look like stealth worked against him either. If you actually intend to fight him head on then it looks as though the only option is straight up combat.

Although I've seen plenty of videos where people have absolutely destroyed him using no augs or weapons at all. I can't remember what video it was but there was one on youtube where the player was picking up yellow gas canisters and throwing them at him, causing him to choke. And then the player started grabbing red explosive barrels to throw at him whilst he was choking, since at that point he was unable to shoot back. He died when he got hit by the third explosive barrel too, it was over in under a minute.

Stealth actually works really well on him. Cloak, run around behind him, take barrel and throw at him, cloak again and repeat. When i got hurt, I cloak and ran in one of those side rooms to resupply ammo, some grenade or energy bar. Actually when you are 100% stealth augmented this fight is really easy. Just cloak and try to force him lose you. I really am a little bit disappointed there is no hacking way to kill him. For example to hack bots or turrets. Those fights are a little bit straight forward and doesn't support full range of augmentation possibilities to use against bosses.

jaywalker2309
22nd Aug 2011, 19:04
Do you know if that means that you can´t get "Ghost" rating (no killing and no detection, as far as I gathered from this forum) when ever there is a boss in the level?

I would hope that there are multiple ways of dealing with "bosses" and not only [deal 1.000.000 hit points worth of damage]. But I am a dreamer.

Boss fights dont count for `kills` in that respect..

thanos
22nd Aug 2011, 19:44
Boos fights have to be done >.>,that I know of, unlike Metal gear 4 ,you cant do a non lethal on bossess.

Enraged Penguin
22nd Aug 2011, 20:11
Boos fights have to be done >.>,that I know of, unlike Metal gear 4 ,you cant do a non lethal on bossess.Well technically by the time the credits roll all of the Bosses in MGS4 have died as a direct result of Snake breaking their life support suits. They needed those suits to survive. Christ they even collapsed into the foetal position once you tranqued them lol.