PDA

View Full Version : Starting again with my augments

Zajaki
21st Aug 2011, 14:31
Hey guys!
Any idea's if when we finally finish the game, we can start it again with the augments we have unlocked, and try to eventually have them all?? In my opinion thats the type of thing that creates re-playability

Ideas?

ZakKa89
21st Aug 2011, 14:35
No and that is not a good idea imo

Replayability comes with choosing different augmentations in a second playtrough, this way you get a different experience.

sea
21st Aug 2011, 15:18
The XP system in the game encourages grinding hacks/exploration/non-lethal takedowns, which means that unless you want to finish the game missing a good 5+ augmentations, you're basically forced to max out all the hacking/stealth/etc. skills as soon as you can. One of the worst design decisions of Human Revolution, in my opinion, but I guess it wouldn't be an "RPG" if it didn't have numbers going up every 5 seconds to keep the OCD kids happy.

VectorM
21st Aug 2011, 15:30
All the people who want this game+ stuff really need to realize, that this isn't Borderlands, or some other crap. This is Deus Ex, when you start this *****, you choose carefully and deal with your choices. If you don't like that, then go play something else.

In other words, bugger off.

CJ78
21st Aug 2011, 15:33
Nope once you finish, you start over fresh.
(However, I do hope this Deus Ex can let you do stuff like "/spawnmass lam" or /allaug like in the first game but that's unlikely.)

thanos
21st Aug 2011, 16:01
Starting fresh gives the game more of a challenge.

imported_the_guy
21st Aug 2011, 18:10
Nope once you finish, you start over fresh.
(However, I do hope this Deus Ex can let you do stuff like "/spawnmass lam" or /allaug like in the first game but that's unlikely.)

That was fun, especially "spawnmass military bot", though it produced bad lag :o

HERESY
21st Aug 2011, 19:31
I wish people would stop saying "replayability" or "re-playability."

http://iam.benabraham.net/2010/09/replayability-is-not-a-word/

Anyway, a +game feature should have been implemented as an option.

AJK
21st Aug 2011, 20:15
The XP system in the game encourages grinding hacks/exploration/non-lethal takedowns, which means that unless you want to finish the game missing a good 5+ augmentations, you're basically forced to max out all the hacking/stealth/etc. skills as soon as you can. One of the worst design decisions of Human Revolution, in my opinion, but I guess it wouldn't be an "RPG" if it didn't have numbers going up every 5 seconds to keep the OCD kids happy.

Hmmm. Didn't the original DX reward exploration (in all forms, including of areas and computer systems) with skill points and harder-to-find augmentation upgrades? Sounds like exactly the same principle to me...

AJK
21st Aug 2011, 20:24
I wish people would stop saying "replayability" or "re-playability."
http://iam.benabraham.net/2010/09/replayability-is-not-a-word/
Anyway, a +game feature should have been implemented as an option.

Wow, thanks for linking to a random blogger whining about a perfectly well-understood and largely accepted word that he personally doesn't like! (Language evolves. People have to deal.)

Gotta love the internet...

And back on topic: no, NG+ (or whatever you want to call it) should not be implemented, ever, unless there are game mechanics designed specifically around taking advantage of it. (Best example I can think of: Diablo 2, where there are 3 difficulty levels designed around playing levels 1-33, 34-66, and 67-99.) Balancing it properly takes time away from developing other features - that's bad.

sonicsidewinder
21st Aug 2011, 21:07
I don't like the idea...

HERESY
21st Aug 2011, 21:09
Wow, thanks for linking to a random blogger whining about a perfectly well-understood and largely accepted word that he personally doesn't like! (Language evolves. People have to deal.)

You're quite welcome, friend. However, the guy wasn't whining but pointing out the lunacy of those who claim to be "journalist." There are many words that are largely accepted, "conversate" and "ain't" comes to mind, but that doesn't mean they are correct. Moreover, while you may think the guy was being a grammer nazi, you should read the post with a critical mind as it will allow you to understand his position a bit better.

Gotta love the internet...

Indeed.

And back on topic: no, NG+ (or whatever you want to call it) should not be implemented, ever, unless there are game mechanics designed specifically around taking advantage of it. (Best example I can think of: Diablo 2, where there are 3 difficulty levels designed around playing levels 1-33, 34-66, and 67-99.) Balancing it properly takes time away from developing other features - that's bad.

Matter of opinion. However, implemented as an option will satisfy everyone. You either use the feature or you don't. Problem solved.

jtr7
21st Aug 2011, 22:47
The game is designed so one may never get all the augs in a playthrough, and new game+ would contradict that. Wait for the modders to hook you up.

HERESY
21st Aug 2011, 23:13
The game is designed so one may never get all the augs in a playthrough, and new game+ would contradict that. Wait for the modders to hook you up.

Again, that is why it should have been included as an option. Moreover, some of us are playing on the console so we won't be able to wait for mods.

Lawtonn22
22nd Aug 2011, 11:26
I saw a video that stated there wouldn't be a "game+" option, the explanation was that giving players the ability to start a new game fully loaded with augs would clash with the story & pacing of the game, after spending so damn long creating the story/world of de:hr I think thats sound enough reasoning from the developers.

tZer
22nd Aug 2011, 11:35
Again, that is why it should have been included as an option. Moreover, some of us are playing on the console so we won't be able to wait for mods.

Nope, this is exactly why it should NOT be included.

Lawtonn22
22nd Aug 2011, 11:50

Damn straight !,
I'm also going to be playing on console & I'm glad that eidos have left out a game+ option, I think it shows a great deal of integrity on their part to ensure that players will always have to earn rewards no matter how many times they play through this game, as for pc gamers modding !, maybe some will but I'd say that if they do they're probably in danger of ruining the experience for themselves,
just relax and enjoy Jensens journey through the story & be content in the fact that, no matter how many times you replay this game it may have something new instore for you for all the right reasons & not just because you can start the game as some super powered cyborg !:).

sea
22nd Aug 2011, 13:36
Hmmm. Didn't the original DX reward exploration (in all forms, including of areas and computer systems) with skill points and harder-to-find augmentation upgrades? Sounds like exactly the same principle to me...
Not to the same extent. In Human Revolution, it feels like every room you enter gives you some XP, so you feel obligated to stick your nose in each and every closet, not to mention hacking and taking out enemies gives you XP as well. The original Deus Ex only gave rewards for finding secret areas (actual secret ones, not just broom closets), and for completing objectives, certainly not for taking out random dudes. In otherwords, it didn't feel necessary to knock out every person you came across, because there was no tangible game reward for it, and thus you could really focus on playing the way you wanted, without a lingering feeling of "but if I hack 10 more computers, I level up!"

Mobius32
22nd Aug 2011, 15:41
Not to the same extent. In Human Revolution, it feels like every room you enter gives you some XP, so you feel obligated to stick your nose in each and every closet, not to mention hacking and taking out enemies gives you XP as well. The original Deus Ex only gave rewards for finding secret areas (actual secret ones, not just broom closets), and for completing objectives, certainly not for taking out random dudes. In otherwords, it didn't feel necessary to knock out every person you came across, because there was no tangible game reward for it, and thus you could really focus on playing the way you wanted, without a lingering feeling of "but if I hack 10 more computers, I level up!"

I just hope they don't track your xp on-screen. It was fine in DX, since it was relatively uncommon. But in HR, having a +10 XP pop up every few seconds could get annoying

Enraged Penguin
22nd Aug 2011, 15:52
I just hope they don't track your xp on-screen. It was fine in DX, since it was relatively uncommon. But in HR, having a +10 XP pop up every few seconds could get annoyingIt looks like it does, based on the gameplay I've seen anyway. It pops up on the far left of the screen under the heading "Update", same as when you pick up items e.t.c.

So if you shoot someone in the head with say a pistol it will look like..

UPDATE

//- MAN DOWN [10]
//- MARKSMAN [10]
//- TOTAL: 20

If you watch any gameplay videos you'll see it. I probably haven't made it sound very appealing to you but it honestly doesn't look intrusive. It just looks like a natural part of the HUD.

jason95821
22nd Aug 2011, 18:43
No and that is not a good idea imo

Replayability comes with choosing different augmentations in a second playtrough, this way you get a different experience.

agreed
the augments you choose is based on your play through

to have them all would make it to easy

i am sure there will be trainers made so you can have your cheats to get them all but untill then do not ruin it for the rest of us :wave:

HERESY
22nd Aug 2011, 19:19

You aren't making any sense. Including it as in option gives the player the choice of playing with the augs they have or starting over fresh. Do you have to use it? No. Why? Because it is an option.

Brockxz
22nd Aug 2011, 19:37
You aren't making any sense. Including it as in option gives the player the choice of playing with the augs they have or starting over fresh. Do you have to use it? No. Why? Because it is an option.

Excluding it as an option makes you think about how to develop your character and deal with consequences so it's good that they didn't implement such thing as NG+. I'm against such option and if you want that option, go play other games that have it. That is your option.

HERESY
22nd Aug 2011, 21:29
Excluding it as an option makes you think about how to develop your character and deal with consequences so it's good that they didn't implement such thing as NG+. I'm against such option and if you want that option, go play other games that have it. That is your option.

Excluding it as an option is a cop-out. Again, all it takes are "start new game" and "start new game with augs" buttons/prompts. RE4 did it, RE5 did it, ME did it, DeadSpace did it and the list goes on. And yes, Captain Obvious, I do have the option to play other games but we're actually talking about this one and what would have been a good option for those who want to play with their augs and run through the game again.

AlexOfSpades
22nd Aug 2011, 21:57

Forbidding the guy from playing isnt really an option. Think of it.

Having the option in the game wont hurt you now will it?

Kiyanavasala
22nd Aug 2011, 22:15
One of the great things about a New Game Plus option is that I'd feel far less inclined to grind Praxis points like they were going out of fashion the first time around.

sajin
22nd Aug 2011, 22:17
Use a trainer and you get the same effect (assuming PC, don't know if/how they work on other systems).

Jewseph
22nd Aug 2011, 22:35
Personally, I played through the leak at least 3 times. And each play through I did things differently. It proved to be a blast even though I used different Aug's each time.

BUT, You could use Cheat Engine. I did it in the leak. Just modified it so I had 1,000,000,000 XP and it gave me like 100+ praxis points. lol But honestly I wouldn't do it on the first, or second, or even your third play-through. Just saying.

Brockxz
23rd Aug 2011, 04:09
Forbidding the guy from playing isnt really an option. Think of it.

Having the option in the game wont hurt you now will it?

It hurts and you even don't know how much it hurts because I can't it explain by just using words :lol: and still I will stay to my thoughts there is no need for NG+ unless you want just game to mess around and don't want to think. Excluding something is an option. Option to go play some other game, option to play one more time the game and make other augmentation choices, path choices, conversation choices and so on and on.

HERESY
23rd Aug 2011, 04:25
It hurts and you even don't know how much it hurts because I can't it explain by just using words :lol: and still I will stay to my thoughts there is no need for NG+ unless you want just game to mess around and don't want to think. Excluding something is an option. Option to go play some other game, option to play one more time the game and make other augmentation choices, path choices, conversation choices and so on and on.

You aren't making much sense.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/option

noun

1. the power or right of choosing.
2. something that may be or is chosen; choice.
3. the act of choosing.
4. an item of equipment or a feature that may be chosen as an addition to or replacement for standard equipment and features: a car with a long list of extra-cost options; a telephoto lens option for a camera.
5. stock option.

Brockxz
23rd Aug 2011, 04:35
omg bring some more explanations of word option (you know, check word joke when you at it because from smily in my previous post you didn't pick up that I was joking) but still that won't change my stance on this question about NG+ I expressed already in this topic and previous topics about this. There is no need for NG+ and stop ask for this on every games forum.

nathanj
23rd Aug 2011, 05:34

i agree. once the game unlocks im planning in disabling those annoying popups every time i fart in game. its also a bit daft that you get extra points for nonlethal takedowns considering that its actually easier to use the dart rifle and stun gun than regular weapons. i initially planned on killing everyone but after seeing that i could one shot everyone with a dart rifle that became my weapon of choice. hopefully they addressed that since the press copy release.

as for a new game i could see getting a couple extra praxis points but to keep them all would just be stupid. the whole point of this game is specialization and choices and consequences. being master of all and being able to do everything would completely ruin it.

HERESY
23rd Aug 2011, 16:22
omg bring some more explanations of word option (you know, check word joke when you at it because from smily in my previous post you didn't pick up that I was joking) but still that won't change my stance on this question about NG+ I expressed already in this topic and previous topics about this. There is no need for NG+ and stop ask for this on every games forum.

Having a +game option won't hurt you. Btw, you aren't saying anything new, so enjoy the game.

Badmagic
23rd Aug 2011, 17:22
I see merits in playing it both ways to be honest, sure I like making specific character styles through choosing different paths (literally and by aug) through multiple playthroughs but eventually sure a new game + does add a nice additional and "optional" option.

I would imagine there would be something similar to -hax0r again so if people really want to do this they could write down how they had themselves setup and at the start of a new game down the line use codes to "re-create" their end game persona.

Or then again, with achievement spam these days maybe they removed the ability to use the developer console, idk, I'm UK and don't have the game yet and I didn't play the pirated press leak either so...

robgw3
23rd Aug 2011, 19:36
People the fact is that having that as an option would not hurt the game at all. And saying it would is just foolish. As it was pointed out, you wouldnt have to use the option if you didnt want to, but it could be there for those who do want it. Many people like to cheat in games, they dont try and force you to cheat with them, so why should you try and force them not to cheat? The whole point is that everyone is allowed to make their own choices.

Badmagic
23rd Aug 2011, 19:53
People the fact is that having that as an option would not hurt the game at all. And saying it would is just foolish. As it was pointed out, you wouldnt have to use the option if you didnt want to, but it could be there for those who do want it. Many people like to cheat in games, they dont try and force you to cheat with them, so why should you try and force them not to cheat? The whole point is that everyone is allowed to make their own choices.

I agree with what your saying but look at the people frothily demanding Skyrim should not have fast travel available at all (an optional function).

Also, just saw someone reference an official post saying there are no cheats at all in this title so I guess the idea of using the dev console to setup an artificial new game plus is not going to happen.

Brockxz
23rd Aug 2011, 19:55

There are a lot of examples where ng+ actually hurt a game. For example mass effect 2 in which ng+ just ruins social skill check unless you make all paragon or all renegade all the way because ng+ messes up the limit you need to reach to succeed. Check forums where it is explained by Bioware how NG+ makes impossible to get those renegade/paragon checks. That's just one example how ng+ ruins game and i can name a lot more so don't say it won't hurt a game or people who want to play it in any way.

[FGS]Shadowrunner
23rd Aug 2011, 20:08
Hey guys!
Any idea's if when we finally finish the game, we can start it again with the augments we have unlocked, and try to eventually have them all?? In my opinion thats the type of thing that creates re-playability

Ideas?

You actually need the opposite.

You're going to play this game to death, eventually you'll need a challenge.

Like finishing the game without killing anyone, stealing anything, using any augs, killing animals etc...

Kiyanavasala
23rd Aug 2011, 21:44
That's just one example how ng+ ruins game and i can name a lot more so don't say it won't hurt a game or people who want to play it in any way.

Name some of them.