PDA

View Full Version : ITEM MANAGEMENT - Storing additional items (not in inventory), Dropping & Saving

pauljc37
21st Aug 2011, 09:44
Hey everyone,

I have been looking at a number of play-throughs of this game and have noticed how many varieties of weapons there are, but also how much room they take up.

Instead of selling these weapons, will there be a place where Adam Jensen can go and store items he doesn't need right at that moment?

Cheers

Dr_Bob
21st Aug 2011, 10:00
Hey everyone,

I have been looking at a number of play-throughs of this game and have noticed how many varieties of weapons there are, but also how much room they take up.

Instead of selling these weapons, will there be a place where Adam Jensen can go and store items he doesn't need right at that moment?

Cheers

This is something I want to know too, because I don't want to carry around all those pre-order weapons in the first mission.

Charadesmith
21st Aug 2011, 10:34
You can drop them off anywhere, for example in your apartment.

Dr_Bob
21st Aug 2011, 11:00
You can drop them off anywhere, for example in your apartment.

And they'll stay there even if I travel to other locations?

Solid_1723
21st Aug 2011, 11:13
I'd also like to know about this!

And regarding the preorder weapons, do we even know yet, how they will be implemented ingame?
What I mean is, will they even fit into the inventory? Silverback, Whisperhead, Grenadelauncher, Explosives and the assorted ammo? Now if you chose the tranq rifle for the first mission, it could get a little cramped in the inventory.

Charadesmith
21st Aug 2011, 11:15
And they'll stay there even if I travel to other locations?

They stay there but i don't know if they remain there after you leave Detroit. But you can safely go around detroit and do missions with the items stored there

Anyway, technically you can drop them off anywhere and they'll always be there, so if you don't want them in your apartment you can just find a spot in the city like a back alley or something and use it as a sort of storage

Cerulean Shaman
21st Aug 2011, 12:05
They stay there but i don't know if they remain there after you leave Detroit. But you can safely go around detroit and do missions with the items stored there

Anyway, technically you can drop them off anywhere and they'll always be there, so if you don't want them in your apartment you can just find a spot in the city like a back alley or something and use it as a sort of storage

I'm sorry, but the thought of using a back alley as a private armory gave me a good chuckle. Thanks, haha. If nothing else, at least it works. : P Hopefully we do get something in-house though.

raz3r
21st Aug 2011, 12:31
I can confirm that you can leave stuffs around Detroit and they will still be there after you return from a mission. I don't know what happens if you leave Detroit though.

sonicsidewinder
21st Aug 2011, 14:00
This is something I want to know too, because I don't want to carry around all those pre-order weapons in the first mission.

This i am fearful of also. It hasn't been propperly explained.

tZer
21st Aug 2011, 15:51
Not really, you can store things in Adam's apartment, but after you leave detroit how many opportunities do you have to get them again?
Either way, I do think that's what the inventory space augments are for, if you want to keep more stuff, get those.

MaceUk
21st Aug 2011, 22:38
I always found it odd how you were never given weapons and had to buy them seeing as your job involves killing people sometimes.

ReliantLion
22nd Aug 2011, 04:41
I always found it odd how you were never given weapons and had to buy them seeing as your job involves killing people sometimes.

It's a video-gameism of sorts. Many games are like this. It's most likely because having been given the weapons right off the bat would make the game less of an accomplishment, i.e. you must earn the use of the tools used to complete the game.

The same could be said of other things in the Original Deus Ex. Starting with a truck load of picks and multi-tools would have been pretty convenient.

jtr7
22nd Aug 2011, 06:43
It's also part of the customization per player. It makes sense to keep it simple and mostly a blank slate for the players' first choices--minus the augs Adam didn't ask for.

Cerulean Shaman
22nd Aug 2011, 07:11
It's a video-gameism of sorts. Many games are like this. It's most likely because having been given the weapons right off the bat would make the game less of an accomplishment, i.e. you must earn the use of the tools used to complete the game.

The same could be said of other things in the Original Deus Ex. Starting with a truck load of picks and multi-tools would have been pretty convenient.

Or any game really. How many zombie games have you played where you have to buy weapons from some random jack? The world is ending via zombie apocalypse, most people are dead, and you want to charge me? Kay.

It's just that eternal battle of gameplay vs realism and the search for balance.

AsukaoYl
24th Aug 2011, 00:19
So im wondering, just started the game and unlike every review iv got massive amounts of ammo and items. Just beat the first mission on hardest difficalty. Im wondering if its like the first game where i can drop items on the floor and they will stay there. Mainly wanna drop stuff in my office for later use. Can anyone confirm this for me?

trick1992
24th Aug 2011, 06:52
Is there a storage area or something for my items? If I left my items lying around in Jensen's apartment, will they go missing?

imported_metal_dawn
24th Aug 2011, 07:08
Is there a storage area or something for my items? If I left my items lying around in Jensen's apartment, will they go missing?

I'm not sure if they'll go missing from leaving them in the apt, but a limited inventory size is a part of the challenge this game represents. It can be agonizing, but making decisions based on what you need sometimes forcing you to sacrifice what you want is an element I really enjoy. It's a sweet tension.

I'm pretty sure there is no "storage locker" however, I think there is supposed to be a safe (perhaps behind the TV) in jensen's apt. At least that's what I got from reading the 3rd email on his computer.

Aetrion
24th Aug 2011, 07:35
I hate overly limited inventory size, I don't feel like a game should punish me for wanting to take the rewards I find with me. Like you find your first rocket launcher, congratulations, you get to throw away one third of all your stuff to carry it or you can just leave it there and wasted a lot of time and probaply some ammo to get to it.

tZer
24th Aug 2011, 07:55
You can leave stuff in your apartment, but dunno if you can access it anymore when you leave detroit.
If you want to carry more stuff, get inventory augs.

sajin
24th Aug 2011, 08:22
I would love a limited storage option in the helicopter. I only played the demo (still waiting for full game in europe), but even with inventory aug 3 my inventory was full. And i didn't even have all guns, had to leave the rocket launcher, sniper rifle, machine pistol and PEBS gun.

Considering all the cool weapons coming up in later parts (laser rifle, grenade launcher, heavy guns), i guess it will be really tough. And its really annoying to throw away guns after using upgrades on them...

sahdev_92
24th Aug 2011, 09:47
One of the best things about Deus Ex is the element of sacrifice. If you believe the weapon you got will help you on your journey, then take it. Only remember that you're going to have to sacrifice your other weapons or equipment. It's the consequence you'll face in this game.

You could invest some Praxis in the inventory augmentation, it will increase the size of the inventory grid.

Keiichi81
24th Aug 2011, 14:45
I have no problem with limited inventory forcing me to pick and choose what I carry on individual missions, but there should really be some sort of collective storage locker you can access between missions.

cqc_batman
24th Aug 2011, 15:06
I inputted the explosive mission pack redeem code. But where is it in the game?

ceeweex3
26th Aug 2011, 10:38
Is there any place in the game that you can store ammo and weapons and such? my inventory is completely full.

Zorvan
26th Aug 2011, 11:45
Is there any place in the game that you can store ammo and weapons and such? my inventory is completely full.

Read a thread before you post in it and you find your answer quickly.

demoche
27th Aug 2011, 00:16
A player stash or some kind of container would be nice.
I don't know about anyone else but i like to try out different weapons and since my character is not poor or constantly out of ammo, i've been finding that i can keep these weapons and their ammo. Yes i know, i can drop them on the floor in the apartment (at least its worked so far) but it breaks immersion to come into an apartment that has a secret stash and then find a 2ft high pile of weapons/ammo/food etc.

This is only a suggestion but it would be nice to have a container that all this could be put into. Thanks regardless.

Ronin_Denton
28th Aug 2011, 14:13
A storage area for extra gear would be nice, but since there was no such place in the first Deus Ex I would guess that this was a design decision for continuity sake. I.E. keep only what you will use, not letting you carry one (or more) of every possible usable item. Choices & consequences.

graouu
28th Aug 2011, 14:38
Hi, so i "found" 5*10mm on some punks. I can take all of them, but when i want to sold them, i sold just one and no more in my inventory. So how can i be rich now ? So wtf !!! ?? ^^

Great game !

BigEdMan
28th Aug 2011, 21:47
I'm assuming you'll be able to buy additional storage as downloadable content.
Most likely a drop pod on the transport.

BTW: You can leave anything anywhere you want and so far it's been there when I went back.
Everything I left in my apartment was still there when I got back from China and Canada.

***Spoiler***
I tried to make a little extra Inventory space in Montréal by leaving stuff on a helipad.
Unfortunately you depart from a different location & can't access the original heliport after a certain point during that mission.

MaxxQ1
28th Aug 2011, 23:12
Hi, so i "found" 5*10mm on some punks. I can take all of them, but when i want to sold them, i sold just one and no more in my inventory. So how can i be rich now ? So wtf !!! ?? ^^

Great game !

When you pick up multiples of the same weapon, rather than having multiple weapons in the inventory, it removes the weapon, but adds the ammo to what you already have. If you want to sell those five 10mm pistols, you'll need to pick up *one*, sell it, then go back and pick up the next - lather, rinse, repeat. It's time-consuming, but it's a good way to get quite a bit of cash.

WhiteWi
29th Aug 2011, 01:51
maybe they can patch it and make a storage at Adam apartment.

MaxxQ1
29th Aug 2011, 02:59
maybe they can patch it and make a storage at Adam apartment.

No need for a patch. If you don't mind having the stuff scattered all over the place/floor/bed/kitchen, you can just put it all there and it'll still be there. I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed that it's still there even after leaving the Detroit hub and coming back later. It's definitely still there while still wandering the Detroit hub.

If you mean like some sort of storage container, then yeah, maybe a patch will help, but I'm not too concerned about it.

Addicted_fool
29th Aug 2011, 05:06
I can confirm that anything left in the apartment will be there on your return to Detroit. I left a ton of stuff on my stairs and as far as I can tell it's all there.

Sti9nsky
29th Aug 2011, 10:07
I can confirm that anything left in the apartment will be there on your return to Detroit. I left a ton of stuff on my stairs and as far as I can tell it's all there.

Great! :)

Ashar
29th Aug 2011, 10:25
I would have loved some type of weapon rack like in Hitman. Deus Ex prides itself on using cliché hidden panels and rooms, take the one in Jensens apartment. It would have be nice to press a secret button to reveal a storage room where you can display all your spare stuff. At the moment, im lugging around spare weapon mods for when i need them later, half my inventory is filled with them. Maybe they could add it in DLC pack, that seems an easy thing to bring out.

ricardosamuel1961
29th Aug 2011, 10:49
I have no problem with limited inventory forcing me to pick and choose what I carry on individual missions, but there should really be some sort of collective storage locker you can access between missions.

Makes you wonder how they design these games. I mean, seriously, let's say, I pick up an extra weapon. I can't store it in my inventory. Naturally, I'd take it to my apartment and put it in my weapons locker. Seems so banal and obvious.

zleppy
29th Aug 2011, 12:44
Awsome! Thanks for the info! Was kinda crazy that you get all the preorder weapons right at the start of your first mission. Coundt pickup anything =P

mattlistener
29th Aug 2011, 20:14
Yes, if you drop an item on the ground, it will still be there when you come back, even if you have visited another zone in the meantime.

If you're willing to break a bit from realism, it's most efficient to store items at the feet of the most convenient vendor. (ie the Detroit gas station.) You want the place where you're making your buy/sell decisions to be the same as the place where you're making your bring/leave decisions.

I didn't bother selling pistols, but I did put in the round trips to sell shotguns and automatic pistols I found in Detroit, and was rewarded by being able to buy everything I wanted from the Limb clinic and closest vendor upon arrival in China. I'd call that overly grindy from a game design perspective. An improvement would be to let the duplicate item go into your inventory as normal, and add a "get ammo" menu item to it that gives a popup warning that this will remove the item from the game world. Add in a gameplay option to make it be like it is today and then players could choose between the "ammo-collecting efficiency" style and the "best friend of arms dealers" style.

Grimesy
30th Aug 2011, 15:35
'we implemented healthregen, to prevent having to backtrack for medkits. Now we have a lootsystem, where you can use repeated backtracking to create a little cashflow, cause we didn't want to incorporate cashregen...' lol...

Disclaimer: this is NOT an attack on healthregen, it actually didn't bother me at all...

Daedatheus
30th Aug 2011, 20:40
The game really needs a "use immediately" button.

Only for consumables of course, not weapons or ammo, but for things like drinks, energy bars, painkillers, and weapon mods. I always found it weird that just about every game with an inventory system requires you to put something in your inventory before using it, even if you wanted to use it immediately. I had to keep dropping my stungun just to pick up weapon mods and hypostims, that I used *right away* anyway.

RWFoss
30th Aug 2011, 22:43
So Adam's appartment is the best place to store stuff for Detroit, what about China?

Is there a decent spot that is accessable during both visits to China that could be used to store some extra bang bang for a rainy day?

Romeo
30th Aug 2011, 23:05
'we implemented healthregen, to prevent having to backtrack for medkits. Now we have a lootsystem, where you can use repeated backtracking to create a little cashflow, cause we didn't want to incorporate cashregen...' lol...

Disclaimer: this is NOT an attack on healthregen, it actually didn't bother me at all...
I still didn't much like the health regen. There was no need for it. At least it's slow, that's about as much credit as I can afford it.

So Adam's appartment is the best place to store stuff for Detroit, what about China?

Is there a decent spot that is accessable during both visits to China that could be used to store some extra bang bang for a rainy day?
As far as I'm aware, this applies to EVERY location in game, no just Jensen's apartment. You can leave anything anywhere and it'll become "part of the environment". The game will remember you left a Sniper Rifle near the entrance of the Hive, even if you head elsewhere and come back after several hours.

Pandaman
31st Aug 2011, 12:10
It would have been nice if Malik's chopper served as a sort of mobile armory, maybe with a limited number of times (depending on how hostile the mission map is) you can call her down to do some inventory swapping. I love piling up the guns n' ammo even if I don't actually use any of it, being the packrat sort, so it kinda sucks when I'm two very long missions away from returning to Detroit (TYM and Montreal) and I have absolutely no room left even with maxed out inventory augs.

Augh.

Lurch
31st Aug 2011, 15:33
I would have loved some type of weapon rack like in Hitman. Deus Ex prides itself on using cliché hidden panels and rooms, take the one in Jensens apartment. It would have be nice to press a secret button to reveal a storage room where you can display all your spare stuff.

It would have been nice if Malik's chopper served as a sort of mobile armory, maybe with a limited number of times (depending on how hostile the mission map is) you can call her down to do some inventory swapping.

An improvement would be to let the duplicate item go into your inventory as normal, and add a "get ammo" menu item to it that gives a popup warning that this will remove the item from the game world. Add in a gameplay option to make it be like it is today and then players could choose between the "ammo-collecting efficiency" style and the "best friend of arms dealers" style.

These ideas really show a desire and demand, from the gaming community, to have a DLC release down the line to patch in an inventory storage system. It doesn't have to be complex or game changing, just something like:

1. Detroit apartment vault. Replace the "hidden stash" with a safe door that opens up an inventory screen, with a grid size equal to the largest (fully augmented) inventory size available to Adam. This vault would initially be populated by the items first found in the stash. Then with Adams inventory open on one side (or top) and the "vault" on the other side (or bottom), players can drag drop items between the two inventories freely.

2. Mobile vault. This would give the player a mobile, albeit smaller, storage space that would always be available no matter what mission hub they would be on. This storage space would be much smaller, the size of Adam's starting inventory, to compensate for this greater access. The game world presence could be a store front or bank ATM location within the game world, or an access panel/storage pod on the side of Malik's chopper. ( Depending if she is present through out the game. Since I'm still in Detroit, I can't tell ). This inventory would work exactly in the same drag/drop manner of the Detroit apartment vault, just smaller capacity.

3. mattlistener's idea. That idea is cool, but with one minor tweak. Once the player happens upon an duplicate inventory in the game word and activates it, with their use command, then:

if (there is inventory space)

Display the inventory player decision window

if (player clicks on "take weapon")

Add weapon to inventory

else if (player clicks on "take ammo")

Add weapon ammunition to players inventory

else

// Player clicked on exit.

Exit window leaving item in game world
else

// Since there is no inventory space for the weapon, as weapons are typically larger than the ammo they use, speed up game play by reverting to current ammo pick up design.

if (there is inventory space for weapon ammo)

Add weapon ammunition to players inventory

else

Warn player there is no inventory space available
This game feature really should have been included in the game, knowing how many gamers are pack-rats in nature. However I would be happy to throw Eldos a few dollars, if they would just include this type of game play feature as a DLC.

Locutus of BORG
31st Aug 2011, 21:24
^I basically agree with everything above.

I don't care if Jensen's 'stash' is a vault or not - it just needs to be something that I can interact with so I can put stuff in and take stuff out.

It would make sense if there was some sort of 'mobile armory' in the game - even if you only get to use it once per mission or even once per hub visit. It would def make owning more than 2-3 weapons more viable.

Silentbutdeadly
31st Aug 2011, 22:35
Weapons are for n00bs - a conveniently placed vent is all I need

sea
2nd Sep 2011, 18:18
Somewhat unrelated, but does anyone know if all items in the game are fixed, or if items are randomized to some degree? If so, any comments on how much, and what might affect it?

TheoG
2nd Sep 2011, 19:33
I left about twenty cans of beer, 3 wine bottles and a bottle of whisky on Adam's desk at Sarif, and a PEPS gun on O'Malley's bed, and they were there when I came back to Detroit later in the game, so I assume that would work.

P4NCH0theD0G
3rd Sep 2011, 21:30
Made me a little armory in Detroit...

rbzoIR-gyek

Cheers.

BlackFox
3rd Sep 2011, 21:34
Weapons are for n00bs - a conveniently placed vent is all I need

Your going to bring a vent to a boss fight???

Rockn-Roll
3rd Sep 2011, 23:17
Wow...man...so many people trying to cache weapons. To answer the main question, no there is no game designated storage that Adam has to store items that he doesn't want to carry around with him. But, I believe you can leave anything in your apartment or office and it will still be there even after leaving Detroit...at least I do know that there is an assault rifle in Adam's apartment and I didn't even notice it was there until after I returned from China, so I suspect that if you left something in Adam's apartment (or perhaps office) it would not dissapear. Of course you can always test it by leaving something in the apartment and see if it's still there.

Regardless though, you should play with the weapons that you find and decide which ones you want to keep. For example, I like the machine pistol and assault rifle for near to medium distance shots, crossbow for silent kills, and sniper rifle for long distance elimination...I leave everything else where they are unless I'm in an area that requires something special like a rocket launcher, plasma rifle, etc. But, some people like the shotty for close encounters, assault rifle for medium distance, and sniper rifle for long distance. As long as you have everything covered you don't need to carry other weapons around with you...just carry your desired set and you will find plenty of specialized weaponry around that you can pick up...use...then drop or sell.

Exia
4th Sep 2011, 09:01
As confirmed already yes weapons/items anything you leave does remain where you leave them, my rocket launcher was on my coffee table quite proudly when I returned from Hengsha :D

As far as I can tell there is no limit on stuff either, I'll get some screen shots later, but I have been leaving a large quantity of crap in my apartment and it is still all there. I did notice though that a stack of candy bars I had left in there vanished, perhaps because the item is fairly small it kind of glitched into the wall or something, so leaving it on a table or higher surface is probably more sensible than floor space! Will confirm this for you folks when I go to a different area and return again.

a2moosh
5th Sep 2011, 13:55

Absolutely.
I got used to have only 3-4 weapons in my inv. As well i had to spend 2 points in extending my inventory. About money I can say that, when you search and hack everything, that you have always enough money to do whatsoever and you don't really need to collect items to sell them later.

Now I found out, that the heavy machine gun is quite efficient against armored enemies ... but with ammo, it requires a huge amount of space :-(

sniperfrazer
5th Sep 2011, 17:08
I dropped them all on the bed in his bedroom and they stayed there till the end.

daveYYo
6th Sep 2011, 13:06
Why is there none? There is one lousy draw with 3 spaces in Jensons appartment

likta
6th Sep 2011, 13:14
Just drop it on the floor, it will be there whenever you come back.

lapdragon
8th Sep 2011, 08:52
I wrote up a "stacking" mod a couple weeks ago that addresses most inventory issues, it's over on gamespot (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/deus-ex-human-revolution/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-60163380). The stack size mods are 5 posts down on the second page, and there's also a version that reduces the size of the weaponry so that you can carry 1 of nearly everything, that one is 9 posts down on page 3. Just look for the posts by "lapdragon".

Indefragable
8th Sep 2011, 16:03
I know for a FACT that anything you leave in Jensen's apartment will remain there the entire game.

Not sure if other areas work the same.

My first playthrough I was a bit of a collection freak and had one of each weapon lying on the floor, and it all remained there even after going to Heng Sha, etc...

shukei2002
12th Sep 2011, 08:34
It is very obvious that item placed on floor will not disappear, but the point is can I back to my apartment before entering into the last mission? I meant from what I heard I only visit Detriot twice and after I leave the city for good the second time, all my weapons and stuff wont be accessible later on as I simply cannot revisit the city....

Is it true?

MaxxQ1
12th Sep 2011, 08:40
It is very obvious that item placed on floor will not disappear, but the point is can I back to my apartment before entering into the last mission? I meant from what I heard I only visit Detriot twice and after I leave the city for good the second time, all my weapons and stuff wont be accessible later on as I simply cannot revisit the city....

Is it true?

Yes, that's exactly what happens. Make sure you take what you think you will need before leaving Detroit the second time, because that'll be the last time you'll have a chance to get any of it.