PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts from a Female Disabled Video Gamer

dogiojoe
21st Aug 2011, 03:55
I saw the forum post from the guy who is legally blind, and I thought since DE:HR is about the conflict of helping those who are disabled to those who aren't with augmentations, I figured I should post my thoughts (& my story) about how I feel about the game.

First who am I:

I'm Gina, I play video games for a living. I started on the N64, and worked my way up to the Xbox 360, Wii, DS. I hope to have a PS3 donated or until it becomes cheaper for me to play. Anyhow... I play all types of video game genres. FPS, TPS, RPG, Sports (mostly football), Family, Arcade, Action/Adventure, Simulation, & Stratagy.

Now even though I have over 30 disabilities, they don't stop me from playing the most popular games out their. Here are a few games I have played over the years:

Halo (I own all in the series), Call of Duty (Same with Halo- I own all), Battlefield (I own most- BFBC/BFBC2/BFMC), Batman Arkham Asylum, Star Wars Force Unleashed (1&2), Guitar Hero III, Scene It Movie Trivia, Medal of Honor, Wii Sports, Tom Clancy Games (RB6V 1 &2, Ghost Recon 1&2, Splinter Cell 2/Double Agent). And many MANY more.

So you can probably tell that I am an avid video gamer. I am :o But one of the games that I have been really waiting to try is Deus Ex: Human Revelation. So as a disabled gamer, what are my thoughts?

Well here they are:

With the DE:HR story plot-
I am very found of the story that Eidos has decided to make for DEHR. Why? Because I hope that by playing DEHR I can dream of what it would be like to have both Physical, Mental, & social augmentations. I know the augmentations in real life is only getting started. It may not even be in my lifetime before trials would start. But knowing that a game representing the qualitys (both postive & negative), I hope that I can experience what it would be like to live in a world with those kind of augmentations. And what it would take to tell others the benefits/consequences of having the augmentations.

With the DE:HR Visuals/Art-
To me, seeing the very first trailer, I knew that the graphics would surpase all games that I've played. Knowing what to expect, and seeing the very fine detail going into DE:HR, I feel excited to know that the game would be totally awsome just in looks itself.

With Eidos game Developer-
To know how well Eidos did with RockSteady on Batman Arkham Asylum. I am really Pumped on what to expect for DE:HR. I know that making a game is strenius, but with Eidos behind the wheel of DE:HR's development, I know they will succeed.

A note to gamers without disabilities-
Be kind & respectful to others with disabilities. Chances are that sometime in your life, you will develop at least one, and you would be treated differently. So put your selves in their shoes, but do not feel bad for that person. Because I don't feel bad for those who are disabled. Because to the disabled community, disabled is defined as abled, just in a different way. For example, I may not be able to life weights, but I can still move my arms. I may be able to walk, but I cannot run. All I can tell you is that when you speak to someone who is disabled, if you focus hard, you will be able to tell that that person has learned a lot out of life, because he/she has experienced what it is to be challenged.

A note to gamers with disabilities-
Don't every give up on gaming. Do so as long as you are abled. To me gaming is a stress reliever, and a very good one too. If you can't hold a controller, go to this website: http://www.ablegamers.com/ It is a very great source where you can meet other disabled video gamers, and you can find out retailers and designers who make custom controllers for those who can't hold, or have trouble holding the standard console controller.

Well that is my post on my thoughts on the DE:HR game. I hope I have given spirit to those without disabilities, and given courage to those who have. If anybody wants to shoot me a Xbox Live message, my gamertag is dogiojoe.

(and for those who don't like the PS3 and want to get rid of theirs, if you please consider donating your system so that I can play the simplar games. Sadly I can't afford any games, and those that I do play are soley donated by friends & family. So I know that some may not like this post, but if you would consider it to those who have PS3's and want to get rid of it, please send me a message)

luminar
21st Aug 2011, 04:04
Ummm not to be offensive. But 30 disabilities!? Can you elaborate?

thanos
21st Aug 2011, 04:16
Yes please do.

Seeing as I only have one disabilaty of my own,not counting my short sightedness.

jason95821
21st Aug 2011, 04:40
for me
near sited so playing with out glasses hard
attention span of a 5 year old so playing through and reading every detial that can help in game will be diffcult
tend to act before thinking so my stealth apporach ends up a massacure
i tend to shoot when i do not get my way with some 1 *hope npc main story are not killable right away*
i tend to get mad or upset if the game annoys me and just start going on a mass murder kids adults cops army i shoot shoot and shoot more till i run out of ammo

bad hand eye cornation so i expect to take a lot of beatings or hit wrong keys like instead of take down i toss a nade at my feet very bad for myhealth

dogiojoe
21st Aug 2011, 04:41
Here is my OFFICIAL diagnosis list and I numbered it so you can see that I have over 30 disabilities.
A lot of these you will probably not hear about but if you google them you will see some of the severity of what I have to deal with.

List:
1. Severely narrowed left mainstem bronchus
2. bronchomalacia
3. Mild asthma – illness induced
4. Reactive airway disease w/ cold exposure
5. Asperger’s Syndrome
6. auditory processing delay,
7. sensory integration issues
8. Bipolar (manic only).
9. Hx w/ psychotic features
10. Hearing loss – L, congenital
11. Mild cerebral palsy
12. hypotonic muscles
13. hypermobile joints
14. Osteopenia
15. Hx osteoporosis
16. Scoliosis
17. Sleep apnea
18. Fatty liver
19. Sinusitis
20. Tendonitis
21. Plantar fasciitis
22. bilat feet
23. Osgood Slatters
24. bilat knees
25. Pars defect- aka spondylolithesis
26. FHPP – familial hypo(er)kalemic periodic paralysis
27. Migraines
28. Low vitamin D
29. Superior labrum tear
30. Morton’s neuroma
31. Confluent and Reticulated Papillomatosis of Gougerot & Carteaud
32. Hx IgG and myeloperoxidase activation enzyme deficiency
33. Hx reflux disease
34. Hx Intestinal malrotation
35. probable fibromyalgia
36. connective tissue disorder
37. Kabuki Syndrome

Now do you believe me? If you don't wait until my documentry comes out on theatres next year. (and no it doesn't have a title yet, I'm currently in the production phase). You'll see for yourself that my life is complicated as it seems.

luminar
21st Aug 2011, 04:59
You have a documentary being made about you? Pretty kickass! By the way I didn't doubt you I just thought that over 30 disabilities has got to be an incredible obstacle to overcome which I applaud you for doing.

HERESY
21st Aug 2011, 05:00
@ The OP, don't give up, continue on living life as best as you can. It sounds like you have a great outlet in gaming and I hope you have a very strong support group to help you when those bad days pop up.

Keep us posted on the documentary.

KingNL
21st Aug 2011, 05:34
Do you have a sneak peak of the movie

jaywalker2309
21st Aug 2011, 09:39
Really hope deus ex can fulfill your expectations. Good luck with the documentary let us know how its going etc

Lady_Of_The_Vine
21st Aug 2011, 10:36
^
Seconded. :thumb:

I love inspiring stories like this, thanks for posting dogiojoe.

thanos
21st Aug 2011, 15:51
Wow that is a list.

Right,I used to have mild asthma so I can offer you a few mild cures that do help,if you dont already know them

And my only real disabiltiy that I can list would be aspergers,a supposed mental problem, which you have listed as one of yours too.

But seeing as no two doctors can come up with the same answer,I hold the impression that they either be quacks or smoke much rock.

MaceUk
21st Aug 2011, 22:24
Is Tendonitis a disability? I'm not being a smart arse btw.

I turned 40 in May and am worried about stiffness (stop s******ing at the back) in a couple of my fingers and think it could be arthritis as I work using mouse and keyboard and game with them too.

EDIT: lol it censored sni ggering!!

21st Aug 2011, 23:55
I'm Gina, I play video games for a living.

You get no sympathy, then.

Mangajedi
22nd Aug 2011, 04:25
I saw the forum post from the guy who is legally blind, and I thought since DE:HR is about the conflict of helping those who are disabled to those who aren't with augmentations, I figured I should post my thoughts (& my story) about how I feel about the game.

First who am I:

I'm Gina, I play video games for a living. I started on the N64, and worked my way up to the Xbox 360, Wii, DS. I hope to have a PS3 donated or until it becomes cheaper for me to play. Anyhow... I play all types of video game genres. FPS, TPS, RPG, Sports (mostly football), Family, Arcade, Action/Adventure, Simulation, & Stratagy.

Now even though I have over 30 disabilities, they don't stop me from playing the most popular games out their. Here are a few games I have played over the years:

Halo (I own all in the series), Call of Duty (Same with Halo- I own all), Battlefield (I own most- BFBC/BFBC2/BFMC), Batman Arkham Asylum, Star Wars Force Unleashed (1&2), Guitar Hero III, Scene It Movie Trivia, Medal of Honor, Wii Sports, Tom Clancy Games (RB6V 1 &2, Ghost Recon 1&2, Splinter Cell 2/Double Agent). And many MANY more.

So you can probably tell that I am an avid video gamer. I am :o But one of the games that I have been really waiting to try is Deus Ex: Human Revelation. So as a disabled gamer, what are my thoughts?

Well here they are:

With the DE:HR story plot-
I am very found of the story that Eidos has decided to make for DEHR. Why? Because I hope that by playing DEHR I can dream of what it would be like to have both Physical, Mental, & social augmentations. I know the augmentations in real life is only getting started. It may not even be in my lifetime before trials would start. But knowing that a game representing the qualitys (both postive & negative), I hope that I can experience what it would be like to live in a world with those kind of augmentations. And what it would take to tell others the benefits/consequences of having the augmentations.

With the DE:HR Visuals/Art-
To me, seeing the very first trailer, I knew that the graphics would surpase all games that I've played. Knowing what to expect, and seeing the very fine detail going into DE:HR, I feel excited to know that the game would be totally awsome just in looks itself.

With Eidos game Developer-
To know how well Eidos did with RockSteady on Batman Arkham Asylum. I am really Pumped on what to expect for DE:HR. I know that making a game is strenius, but with Eidos behind the wheel of DE:HR's development, I know they will succeed.

A note to gamers without disabilities-
Be kind & respectful to others with disabilities. Chances are that sometime in your life, you will develop at least one, and you would be treated differently. So put your selves in their shoes, but do not feel bad for that person. Because I don't feel bad for those who are disabled. Because to the disabled community, disabled is defined as abled, just in a different way. For example, I may not be able to life weights, but I can still move my arms. I may be able to walk, but I cannot run. All I can tell you is that when you speak to someone who is disabled, if you focus hard, you will be able to tell that that person has learned a lot out of life, because he/she has experienced what it is to be challenged.

A note to gamers with disabilities-
Don't every give up on gaming. Do so as long as you are abled. To me gaming is a stress reliever, and a very good one too. If you can't hold a controller, go to this website: http://www.ablegamers.com/ It is a very great source where you can meet other disabled video gamers, and you can find out retailers and designers who make custom controllers for those who can't hold, or have trouble holding the standard console controller.

Well that is my post on my thoughts on the DE:HR game. I hope I have given spirit to those without disabilities, and given courage to those who have. If anybody wants to shoot me a Xbox Live message, my gamertag is dogiojoe.

(and for those who don't like the PS3 and want to get rid of theirs, if you please consider donating your system so that I can play the simplar games. Sadly I can't afford any games, and those that I do play are soley donated by friends & family. So I know that some may not like this post, but if you would consider it to those who have PS3's and want to get rid of it, please send me a message)

Your an inspiration. A lot more than me. I have ROP Retinopathy of Prematurity and there's no cure. I'm legally blind and I did a thread earlier. It's nice to see people out there overcoming disabilities like myself. I feel alone a lot of the time. My friends don't understand sometimes how hard it is to explain why i can't see something because I have no way to base it off of anything. I've never had normal vision sicne I was born.

Like in my older post the only way I can explain it this minute is that if I hold my ipod away from my face I can't read it even at elbow length away. I'm at my laptop right now and lets see..........this is gonna sound stupid but at the length of a 30 oz soda cup (laying horizontally) from my screen to my face- I can't see any of the words on my laptop.....anyway, like in my thread I think this game speaks to use with disabilities.

Like Adam says (super corny for me to say it) but "I never asked for this." It's hard to deal with this disability but imagine if my eyes were cured I'd be able to do everything I haven't been able to...get a normal license, join the military, be a cop, I would LITERALLY do every job possible in 24 hours if my eyes were fixed I'd have a new lease on life. ....

But the game also makes you realize people adapt and overcome as well. I blend in with people even at work because soemtimes so I don't stand out I ACT like i can see something or pass it off like I can. Sometimes I use a LOT of memorization or common sense. I'm a graphic designer so symbols, colors, etc come easy as far as memorizing things. I've also been told back in high school i had the most muscle memory and best reflexes of the wrestlers because I had to depend on learning the technique more and memorizing ten times harder in order to do what's normal. That's even true with my job. I sweeep popcorn working as an usher at the movie theater part time while in college and I clean a lot quicker then most because I bust my butt to do it. (sorry I am NOT being concieted or anything) it's just hard to explain how I do things without having to see something.

You work wiht what you have, just like you do, just like i do, and (lol) Adam Jenson works with what happened to him :D :D :D it's silly and I know we face real challenges and Adam is a character but this game has enough reach and depth into the story. It's very controversial and I love it for that.

Take care. Sorry I posted such a long rant.