PDA

View Full Version : DX1 - Little thing I noticed on my 9000th playthrough

iamrob7
21st Aug 2011, 01:54
So I've been replaying Deus Ex in the last couple of days...again...just as a part of the build up for DX HR being released. It's amazing, I've played this game several times all the way through but I still found something new this time. Quite possibly the little thing I noticed is known by 90% of people who have played this game, so it might be nothing new to you.

However I noticed at Vandenberg, in the picture below;

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/5615/2011082100011.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/231/2011082100011.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

The medical bot travels back and forth through the red lasers without triggering an alarm. As it does so it stops/reflects the lasers half way across leaving one side open. The thought occurred to me that I could slip through to the side of the medical bot as it was cutting off the lasers and not trigger the alarm. Well it worked.

I appreciate this isn't the most spectacularly exciting thing ever and most of you probably think this is old news. It is also incredibly obvious I suppose. It made me smile though, it was this kind of simple detail and touch that really added something to the original.

On top of that you were never walked through it, or told to try using that method. The idea just comes to you naturally, as it would in reality...and it works. It's something that a lot of games don't encourage. The player simply using their common sense in a simple inventive way without being led to an idea through either suggestion or simply being told such a technique is plausible.

I hope the new game has little touches like this and I hope also that they are there for the player to find through their own initiative.

Vasarto
21st Aug 2011, 03:04
Each time someone tells me that they found something new I ignore it. Like the last guy who said the laser mod can blind people like the pepper spray does if you shine it into their eyes....which was a lie.

jason95821
21st Aug 2011, 04:45
ya most people tend to notice only big changes

Redem
21st Aug 2011, 04:54
My second game was rather eye opening not only did I discover the NY MJ12 base but also discovered paul could survive

Serendip1ty
21st Aug 2011, 12:22
My second game was rather eye opening not only did I discover the NY MJ12 base but also discovered paul could survive

Yeah, i also missed the mj12 base on my first game & jocks appartement in hong kong. I also discovered you could save Jock on my second playthrough.

Lirezh
21st Aug 2011, 13:20
Yea well actually it's a bug.
The same thing with the pepper spray, it's a bug actually.

I know it's great to find something new every time you play DX for a while but crediting it for the bugs to be awesome is a bit over the top:)

P.S.
On the other hand these sort of "bugs" show how well the DX engine is handling such stuff.
The laser traps are actually real lasers, if you manage to get through you are through.
Another cheaper engine would probably use a more "cheaty" sort of feature to detect you, so you could not use a weakness like the pepper spray or the bot to get through.

iamrob7
21st Aug 2011, 15:33
Yea well actually it's a bug.
The same thing with the pepper spray, it's a bug actually.

I know it's great to find something new every time you play DX for a while but crediting it for the bugs to be awesome is a bit over the top:)

P.S.
On the other hand these sort of "bugs" show how well the DX engine is handling such stuff.
The laser traps are actually real lasers, if you manage to get through you are through.
Another cheaper engine would probably use a more "cheaty" sort of feature to detect you, so you could not use a weakness like the pepper spray or the bot to get through.

Yes that was what I thought, in a lot of games you might trigger the alarm simply for passing beyond that point without the lasers being deactivated...even if you found a way to avoid them.

I'm not sure that it is a bug though, the medical bot is obviously designed to travel back and forth through those lasers. Nothing really buggy about it. Might be an accident of design I suppose, I don't think so though. Seems like a nice little touch to me.

CJ78
21st Aug 2011, 15:36
I'd compare it to a motion sensor of today; they are designed not to go off if triggered by a pet or such, only a person.

Amitush
21st Aug 2011, 16:22
I'd compare it to a motion sensor of today; they are designed not to go off if triggered by a pet or such, only a person.

Is it possible? they both will interfere the laser beam..perhaps if there's more than one, it can identify the height..

CJ78
21st Aug 2011, 16:23
Well I meant actual motion sensors (like not lasers; the kind people put in their houses) but you get the point :P

21st Aug 2011, 17:17
If you wait long enough at the free clinic in Hell's Kitchen the med bot will eventually open the door for you.