PDA

View Full Version : THOUGHTS FROM A LEGALLY BLIND GAMER

Mangajedi
20th Aug 2011, 08:51
I have to admit I did not know what Deus Ex was at first until I saw Human Revolution announced.

I'm a graphic designer and artist and I'm legally blind. I'm a hardcore gamer as well. I just wanted to say the game looks amazing in art style and that alone had gotten me interested. Secondly, the choice/consequence atmosphere of the game really stood out to the games of old where you had to find your own solutions to problems in the game.

Third, the story struck a personal note with me. Being legally blind- (I have R.O.P. since birth and there is no cure as of yet.) It basically means i'm SEVERELY near-sighted. I have never been able to see like the rest of the human population and wonder what it would be like. I always wanted to be a soldier, cop, or anything like that and my eyesight sadly limits me on careers somewhat. I AM however very proud that I am an artist and graphic designer. I did some wallpapers too when this game came out that I'm proud of as well. Sometimes I even wonder if having good eyesight would change me from how I feel and understand things WITH my disability. Not literally change me, but make my attitude different.

What if getting a pair of cybernetic eyes (something along the lines of what chonclir implants are for deaf people.) could make someone's life easier? It just made me think about it a lot and it's been a while since a game has made me really ponder or contemplate something such as humanity. Which- if you guys are fans- you'll remember the other games doing the same thing.

ANYWAY- sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to say this game struck a chord with me in every way and I think THIS is a perfect example of what some games have lost in the industry and need to redeem.

The team has done an amazing job and I congratulate all of them on the great reviews I know this game will get.

Thanks for listening and reading everyone. Just thought i'd post my opinion here. :D

deusfox
20th Aug 2011, 12:44
ANYWAY- sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to say this game struck a chord with me in every way and I think THIS is a perfect example of what some games have lost in the industry and need to redeem.

Agree with this, without having played it myself, I really hope this game manages to stand out as an example of what can be done within a videogame, against the backdrop of your more usual offerings we see all the time.
I know the team behind the game spent some serious amount of time looking into augmentation and the future of intergrated technology so I'm sure they'd be pleased to hear it's striking chords and speaking to people.

SyphonX
20th Aug 2011, 12:51
Likewise, this game strikes a chord with me, too.

I'm pretty much completely blind in one eye. I have amblyopia in my left eye. Basically I can 'see' through it, but I can't even make out the big 'ol E on the eye exam chart. However, this hasn't stopped me from using my right eye to the fullest, at least in my younger years (it's getting strained now, lol). The whole idea of cybernetics resonates with me just because of that.

Though, I've been looking forward to this game for a couple years now. I'm looking forward to much, much more than the "cool factor" that I share with the sci-fi of augmented vision.

It's one thing to augment for 'fashion' or 'competition'. It's another to augment disabilities, and the trailers of the game alone make quite a few strides into exposing the human element and controversy that might arise from this, in real-time, interactive.

simulacra
20th Aug 2011, 14:39
I have some sight issues aswell, but not all that bad in my day-to-day life, but the thing that makes me weary about ocular implants is standardization och certification.
Let's say that in 20 or 30 years and we have not-so-intrusive implants to restore vision, how would that help someone who want's to get into the military/law enforcement/commercial flying etc etc.
It'll take another 10 years of problem free use to get the organisations that sets the medical standards to approve the use of implants.

Not to mention how long it will take professional sports to approve om people having artifical limbs, just look at the balde runner-guy that actually can outpace some normal bodied athletes but aren't allowed to comptet in the regular olympics.

Science might discover stuff fast, certifications organisations, not so much.

ghostnineone
20th Aug 2011, 18:31
Third, the story struck a personal note with me. Being legally blind- (I have R.O.P. since birth and there is no cure as of yet.) It basically means i'm SEVERELY near-sighted. I have never been able to see like the rest of the human population and wonder what it would be like. I always wanted to be a soldier, cop, or anything like that and my eyesight sadly limits me on careers somewhat. I AM however very proud that I am an artist and graphic designer. I did some wallpapers too when this game came out that I'm proud of as well. Sometimes I even wonder if having good eyesight would change me from how I feel and understand things WITH my disability. Not literally change me, but make my attitude different.

i feel you man, im legally blind in my right eye, and my left eye isnt much better, my corneas have scar tissue on them so i cant get lasik, so im essentially stuck like this forever. I always wanted to be a soldier or a cop as well (i dont think i can be an EMT either). I always wonder what it would be like to see 20/20 as well, or if the fuzziness in my vision is normal. I think having perfect eyesight makes you take it for granted a bit, when you dont have it, all you want is to see like normal people, and people with perfect vision dont really understand what its like, glasses dont usually make your vision perfect. I think i would be a different person if my eyes were normal (because that would be all the other things that are wrong with me wouldnt exist, but even if they did i still think i would be different)

i think stuff like corneal implants would help greately (would probably be cheaper and easier than corneal transplants after a certain amount of time) but i think i would be skeptical to get them, because i would rather have limited vision than have none at all if they screw up the implants.

edit: my prescription is spherical -1425 cylindrical -200 and 005 axis in my right eye and -1000/-250/160 in my left

Frag Maniac
20th Aug 2011, 18:54
Sorry, but at the same time proud, to hear of how you're coping with your disability. What stage of ROP are you in? I've read in stage 4 and 5 the retina can actually become partially or fully detached.

There are some amazing advances happening in ocular research though. The latest I've seen are implants used to impede to progress of glaucoma.

Rindill the Red
20th Aug 2011, 19:11
I suffer from ptello-femoral syndrome: basically, something's wrong with my knee joint. I can't run, and if I fall behind in my physical therapy for just a few days I begin to develop serious pain/constrained mobility when attempting to walk or just from sitting for long periods of time. With PT I've been able to maintain a semi-normal life-style... but it really grates on me that I basically can't play sports any more (and if a zombie apocalypse breaks out I'm gonna be one of the first to go down).

Frag Maniac
20th Aug 2011, 19:16
..if a zombie apocalypse breaks out I'm gonna be one of the first to go down...You could always use the idea used in The Walking Dead and Zombieland, disguise yourself as one! LOL

HERESY
20th Aug 2011, 19:25
Props to the posters in this thread. You have ailments and issues that this game deals with but you guys aren't letting those things hold you back.

I hope you all enjoy the game.

CyberRook
20th Aug 2011, 20:48
Props to the posters in this thread. You have ailments and issues that this game deals with but you guys aren't letting those things hold you back.

I hope you all enjoy the game.

Well said! :thumb:

And I agree with the OP: we need more sci-fi games, and movies for that matter, that tackle real world issues rather than constantly resorting to the easy out of transforming robots and star wars clones.

thanos
20th Aug 2011, 22:26
I`m not as short sighted,but its enough that most things beyound the three to four range are blurry to me.

Hyperbolic
20th Aug 2011, 23:14
I have to admit I did not know what Deus Ex was at first until I saw Human Revolution announced.

I'm a graphic designer and artist and I'm legally blind. I'm a hardcore gamer as well. I just wanted to say the game looks amazing in art style and that alone had gotten me interested.

It's nice to hear such a statement coming from someone who apparently works in the field. Of all of the (few) negative comments I've heard about HR, the art style was one that left me the most perplexed. I felt it was absolutely fantastic and couldn't understand the complaints at all.

KingNL
21st Aug 2011, 01:58
So whats illegally blind?

Rindill the Red
21st Aug 2011, 03:03
So whats illegally blind?

Want me to show you? *Pulls out hot ice cream scooper*

Yosharian
21st Aug 2011, 06:30
Want me to show you? *Pulls out hot ice cream scooper*

Dude... jeez

Mangajedi
21st Aug 2011, 07:20
Thqbks for the kind words and insight all of you. I am proud to be among people with ailments similar to my own.

To start off I am legally blind- which means I can only see maybe.....about 4 feet legibly.

I have stage 4B which means my sight is severely bear sighted due to the scarring on the back of my eye. I don't have detached retinas and THANK GOD there was a girl at my school who did and it's like turning the lights off on yourself. She'd randomly go blind for random minutes, an hour, or 3 seconds. It's scary.

But I am grateful for what vision I have the doctors saved.

I have played that beta of the game that was pulled from a torrent my friend got- he's a college room mate of mine. ( I still study graphic design but make some money off of freelance jobs) I only played a mission or two ( treated it like a demo) I am SOLD on this game.

It is exactly what I want in it. Sadly in the beta the MAIN augs do bot work because the version is for demonstration and the later augs like cloak and all are not active......found this out by pumping my points into cloak and had NO cloak..needless to say I was gunned Down.

Before you say anything YES it is that beta ppl wrote articles about that was stolen- no it was not my download and I only played two story missions and 3 or 4 side missions and the beta ends with an advertisement. Anyway it's awesome. I didn't want to mention I played t for legal reasons but it wasn't my copy and I did t know my room mate's friend anyway so yup.

I thinknits good the beta was leaked- it definitely sold me on my pre order and I am getting my 360 version Tuesday. Btw my Gamer tag is MANGAJEDI...the beta was for pc and I was horrible I prefer console for shooters.

My eyesight doesn't get me down too much but you guys sure make a guy feel better. After posting my original last night I felt a bit depressed but you guys totally got my message.

The story is awesome and yes it strikes a cord. What if I got my eyesight fixed and it'd make me feel invincible and probably make me more arrogant but it'd let me do all the things I always wanted: but it's up to your own choices and how you let it change you- haha- wow I kinda advertised the games point right there but yup. Ok guys I work at noon and it's 3 AM I'll chat you all later :)

Sorry for any spelling errors for obvious reasons.. Blind guy + iPod touch = spelling issues...unless spell check wants to be NICE for once

Mangajedi
21st Aug 2011, 07:40
My prescription.....I dint remember... But I know I have 20/400 visoon total.

Anything over 20/200 is qualified as legally blind.

Life can get annoying but that's when I pop in q game and become the best eefin sniper in the virtual world ( not literally but you get the idea) that's why I'm in graphic design. I want to make video games. The stories and gameplay get so immersive it's sometimes therapidoc and relieves everyday stress. Also pets you experience something you otherwise wouldn't or can't in the real world.. That's why gamer's rule ;D

Mangajedi
21st Aug 2011, 07:44
Sorry, but at the same time proud, to hear of how you're coping with your disability. What stage of ROP are you in? I've read in stage 4 and 5 the retina can actually become partially or fully detached.

There are some amazing advances happening in ocular research though. The latest I've seen are implants used to impede to progress of glaucoma.

Thanks much appreciated.

[FGS]Shadowrunner
21st Aug 2011, 08:28

I'm a graphic designer and artist and I'm legally blind. I'm a hardcore gamer as well. I just wanted to say the game looks amazing in art style and that alone had gotten me interested. Secondly, the choice/consequence atmosphere of the game really stood out to the games of old where you had to find your own solutions to problems in the game.

What if getting a pair of cybernetic eyes (something along the lines of what chonclir implants are for deaf people.) could make someone's life easier? It just made me think about it a lot and it's been a while since a game has made me really ponder or contemplate something such as humanity. Which- if you guys are fans- you'll remember the other games doing the same thing.

The team has done an amazing job and I congratulate all of them on the great reviews I know this game will get.

Thanks for listening and reading everyone. Just thought i'd post my opinion here. :D

I'm really glad you posted. Could you please check the "Deus Ex for Blind People" topic at offtopicproductions.com

Lady_Of_The_Vine
21st Aug 2011, 10:41
Another very inspiring thread, thanks for sharing Mangajedi... and others. :thumb:

aieeeee
21st Aug 2011, 10:54
I have to ask. Just how blind is legally blind?

klova9
21st Aug 2011, 13:14
I have nystagmus, shaking eyes, when I am fatigued and double vision all the time, but surprisingly i still have 20/20 vision. also my right cerebellum isn't up to tier, and makes for a very awkward hold for video game controllers. i think medical science would benefit greatly from certain augmentations shown in this game. i would love to get corrective eye surgery, but right now, the side-effects out way the benefits.

puzl
21st Aug 2011, 13:17

I've known a few blind people (as in they literally see nothing) and they always chuckle when someone mentions the "legally blind" thing, as if there's some law that dictates whether you can legally see or anything. Put simply, you're either blind or you're not blind. If it's the latter, there's varying degrees of vision impairment, but even the worst kind of vision is still 1000000x better than having none at all. No offence to the OP of course and I suffered with poor vision myself in my early years (thankfully now fixed) so I know it's nothing to laugh at, but still... the term makes me smile a bit :)

Whompa
21st Aug 2011, 15:00
Great thread!

I'm a color blind freelance artist here. I do colors and pencils for a few advertising agencies in NY and freelance by doing paintings and movie storyboards. Maybe it makes me more unique as an artist. I don't know. Color blindness kind of sucks for me, I've been getting better and better at recognizing colors though naturally. I feel like it might be acute enough to overcome. Not sure.

The game does have a perspective of the "less fortunate" people out there being given something artificial to bring them normalcy. That all being said, I'd rather overcome my "weakness" on my own, without the help of a cybernetic eyeball. :-)

thanos
21st Aug 2011, 15:58
I hadnt looked at it that way Whompa, you just gave me a new way to look at the game.

Thanks.

ghostnineone
21st Aug 2011, 18:41

anything over 20/200 is legally blind.

that means you have to stand 20 feet away from something to see it with the same clarity someone with 20/20 can see at 200 feet.

Mangajedi
22nd Aug 2011, 04:12
anything over 20/200 is legally blind.

that means you have to stand 20 feet away from something to see it with the same clarity someone with 20/20 can see at 200 feet.

Your exactly right. To explain my eyesight. I'm holding my ipod touch right now and if I hold it from elbow length away from my face I can read NOTHING on it. It's VERY hard to judge how for, what, and what I can not see....I've been like this my whole life so I have not known how far "NORMAL" is.

And yes "Legally blind" is a funny term. I am practically blind. i do have a "Bioptic" license where I have a little scope thing on my glasses when i drive. I can see ppl, objects, cars, and lights, and buildings fine. I can't READ any of the signs so that's the most important part when driving.....only thing I hate about this license is not all states acknowledge BIOPTIC licenses so that means I have to make sure they have them if I move to New York, Chicago, or any of the places I am interested in. I live in Indiana.

Zorvan
22nd Aug 2011, 04:18
Your exactly right. To explain my eyesight. I'm holding my ipod touch right now and if I hold it from elbow length away from my face I can read NOTHING on it. It's VERY hard to judge how for, what, and what I can not see....I've been like this my whole life so I have not known how far "NORMAL" is.

And yes "Legally blind" is a funny term. I am practically blind. i do have a "Bioptic" license where I have a little scope thing on my glasses when i drive. I can see ppl, objects, cars, and lights, and buildings fine. I can't READ any of the signs so that's the most important part when driving.....only thing I hate about this license is not all states acknowledge BIOPTIC licenses so that means I have to make sure they have them if I move to New York, Chicago, or any of the places I am interested in. I live in Indiana.

The bioptic thing sounds cool, but it also sounds dangerous. I understand you can see everything clearly that the scope is actually pointed at, but what about peripheral vision? What if a kid darts in front of you?

Mangajedi
22nd Aug 2011, 04:29
The bioptic thing sounds cool, but it also sounds dangerous. I understand you can see everything clearly that the scope is actually pointed at, but what about peripheral vision? What if a kid darts in front of you?

I can see that. I have just enough peripheral vision to drive. The scope is mounted ABOVE the glasses. lol sorry I wasn't clear on that. They train you to only look in the scope for a sign you absolutely need to see. My life has a LOT of memorization in it. I have to learn a lot more rules of the road and HINTS so I know something is coming up. ...lol prepare for a long post.

You're all inspirations to me. A lot more than me. I have ROP Retinopathy of Prematurity and there's no cure. I'm legally blind It's nice to see people out there overcoming disabilities like myself. I feel alone a lot of the time. My friends don't understand sometimes how hard it is to explain why i can't see something because I have no way to base it off of anything. I've never had normal vision sicne I was born.

Like in my older post the only way I can explain it this minute is that if I hold my ipod away from my face I can't read it even at elbow length away. I'm at my laptop right now and lets see..........this is gonna sound stupid but at the length of a 30 oz soda cup (laying horizontally) from my screen to my face- I can't see any of the words on my laptop.....anyway, here's a perfect example. I'm typing and i'm about 4 inches or 5 away from the screen. It would help if your posts were bigger (NO PROBLEM IF YOU GUYS DON"T WANT TO.) but that's just me lol.

Like Adam says (super corny for me to say it) but "I never asked for this." It's hard to deal with this disability but imagine if my eyes were cured I'd be able to do everything I haven't been able to...get a normal license, join the military, be a cop, I would LITERALLY do every job possible in 24 hours if my eyes were fixed I'd have a new lease on life. ....

But the game also makes you realize people adapt and overcome as well. I blend in with people even at work because soemtimes so I don't stand out I ACT like i can see something or pass it off like I can. Sometimes I use a LOT of memorization or common sense. I'm a graphic designer so symbols, colors, etc come easy as far as memorizing things. I've also been told back in high school i had the most muscle memory and best reflexes of the wrestlers because I had to depend on learning the technique more and memorizing ten times harder in order to do what's normal. That's even true with my job. I sweeep popcorn working as an usher at the movie theater part time while in college and I clean a lot quicker then most because I bust my butt to do it. (sorry I am NOT being concieted or anything) it's just hard to explain how I do things without having to see something.

You work wiht what you have, just like you do, just like i do, and (lol) Adam Jenson works with what happened to him :D :D :D it's silly and I know we face real challenges and Adam is a character but this game has enough reach and depth into the story. It's very controversial and I love it for that.

Take care. Sorry I posted such a long rant. But I want to get into game design and DEUS EX: HR is EXACTLY the kind of games I have in mind.

Mangajedi
22nd Aug 2011, 04:35
O MY GOD. I JUST thought of a perfect example of my sight. Last night I popped in Crysis 2 and on XBOX 360 if you look REALLY closely the enviornment has to "fill" in. I forget what the technical term is so don't hate.

It's kind of like that. I have a certain "DRAW DISTANCE" that things appear clear to me, farther away they get blurry. Kind of like the textures fill in as I walk up to them. So in a crowd if I have to pick a friend out I base them on what I KNOW they wear most often.....Sadly I've had exe's who learn about my eyes and take advantage, they'd change clothes or something....one ex even KNEW I couldn't read her cell when she sat in front of me and would text other guys while sitting in my lap.....anyway those are small examples....I'm SUPER excited for tuesday. Hope to see some of you on xbox playing DEUS EX

ghostnineone
22nd Aug 2011, 05:04
its really hard to explain exactly what your vision looks like to someone, i dont even know how to illustrate it :/

KnightRobby
22nd Aug 2011, 05:17
What a great post. I was so surprised to see so many posters dealing with chronic illnesses/diseases - you really would have had no idea that so many people deal with this.

Well, I too am one of them. I just want to cheer on all of us disabled individuals or those going through physical ailments to keep moving forward, though it can be difficult.

As I said, I suffer - I have been in severe chronic pain since I was 13 years old. The pain is CONSTANT - from the moment I wake up to the moment I lie down. I can't express how difficult it has been - you would really have no idea. My family and God are to thank. I love graphical work to, on the computer, and I co-founded my own gaming website with my twin bro Ryan :) Most of the time I am either in bed, on the couch, or sitting at the computer for a moment. Typing this alone is straining, my left eye is killing me, my jaw hurts like hell, my neck is hurting...and I think I am going to have to take a break here lol In all seriousness, it is rough.

However, like Mangajedi, I still love my passions though my body blocks me from doing them a lot of the time. I know this may sound a bit odd, but even when not being able to work on music, art, or whatever I still try to visualize it, come up with ideas, and journal them. I fight this and I am hoping to get better (long story there). My journal, as I see it, is going to pay off in the future...

Deus Ex - and even Blade Runner - recently have had some odd impact on me. I am completely for augments, especially in terms of disability. However, I can't imagine supporting individuals using it just to have more strength, etc. It would be rather odd - and selfish - to completely augment your arms over something like this, especially if it meant losing your original arm - lol Can you imagine that? And then there is the whole discussion on some weird augments - haha :D

So to keep this from being a novel, kudos to the OP and other posters for talking about this, etc. I find writing to be MUCH easier than talking because of my pain. So, it is good to be among those that understand certain limits applied by disabilities.

Thanks for making this thread and to all who replied! :)

Mangajedi
22nd Aug 2011, 05:38
What a great post. I was so surprised to see so many posters dealing with chronic illnesses/diseases - you really would have had no idea that so many people deal with this.

Well, I too am one of them. I just want to cheer on all of us disabled individuals or those going through physical ailments to keep moving forward, though it can be difficult.

As I said, I suffer - I have been in severe chronic pain since I was 13 years old. The pain is CONSTANT - from the moment I wake up to the moment I lie down. I can't express how difficult it has been - you would really have no idea. My family and God are to thank. I love graphical work to, on the computer, and I co-founded my own gaming website with my twin bro Ryan :) Most of the time I am either in bed, on the couch, or sitting at the computer for a moment. Typing this alone is straining, my left eye is killing me, my jaw hurts like hell, my neck is hurting...and I think I am going to have to take a break here lol In all seriousness, it is rough.

However, like Mangajedi, I still love my passions though my body blocks me from doing them a lot of the time. I know this may sound a bit odd, but even when not being able to work on music, art, or whatever I still try to visualize it, come up with ideas, and journal them. I fight this and I am hoping to get better (long story there). My journal, as I see it, is going to pay off in the future...

Deus Ex - and even Blade Runner - recently have had some odd impact on me. I am completely for augments, especially in terms of disability. However, I can't imagine supporting individuals using it just to have more strength, etc. It would be rather odd - and selfish - to completely augment your arms over something like this, especially if it meant losing your original arm - lol Can you imagine that? And then there is the whole discussion on some weird augments - haha :D

So to keep this from being a novel, kudos to the OP and other posters for talking about this, etc. I find writing to be MUCH easier than talking because of my pain. So, it is good to be among those that understand certain limits applied by disabilities.

Thanks for making this thread and to all who replied! :)

I cheer you on to :) this game is making me meet a lot of new ppl you guys can add me on xvox if you have a Gamer tag. Mine is my forum name.

My girlfriend has something similar to you. She has lupus and it flared up and she had an attack while at walmart. She sill drove to the hospital and I had to sit in a waiting room while she hunched over sobbing in pain. She described it as her joints stiffening and all her muscles feeling like needles were being pushed through them. I'd give up my broken eyes and be completely blind ignite meant stopping people from feeling pain like that. Seeing her in that much pain made me feel for ppl like her....I mean yeah I am legally blind and es my eyes strain easy and I deal with a migraine almost every week by it's nOTHING compared to what you or m girlfriend must feel. A lot of us could benefit from augmentations huh??

BUT like my earlier posts you think it would change you??

If my eyes were fixed I'd be scared of being to cocky of letting it go to my head that I was invincible or perfect- but I do t think t really would change me. I've struggled this long all ly life and I think my eyes being fixed would be good: I'd put my new eyes to good work :) I'm a stealthy splinter cell type so I usually at the deus ex human revolution beta (early build for preview purposes only) as stealthy as possible. Ghosting the levels. Although the beta only let's you play 2 story missions and about 4 side ones...and the augs are there but don't work. All you can do is upgrade hacking, health, energy, and strength

KnightRobby
22nd Aug 2011, 07:41
I cheer you on to :) this game is making me meet a lot of new ppl you guys can add me on xvox if you have a Gamer tag. Mine is my forum name.

My girlfriend has something similar to you. She has lupus and it flared up and she had an attack while at walmart. She sill drove to the hospital and I had to sit in a waiting room while she hunched over sobbing in pain. She described it as her joints stiffening and all her muscles feeling like needles were being pushed through them. I'd give up my broken eyes and be completely blind ignite meant stopping people from feeling pain like that. Seeing her in that much pain made me feel for ppl like her....I mean yeah I am legally blind and es my eyes strain easy and I deal with a migraine almost every week by it's nOTHING compared to what you or m girlfriend must feel. A lot of us could benefit from augmentations huh??

BUT like my earlier posts you think it would change you??

If my eyes were fixed I'd be scared of being to cocky of letting it go to my head that I was invincible or perfect- but I do t think t really would change me. I've struggled this long all ly life and I think my eyes being fixed would be good: I'd put my new eyes to good work :) I'm a stealthy splinter cell type so I usually at the deus ex human revolution beta (early build for preview purposes only) as stealthy as possible. Ghosting the levels. Although the beta only let's you play 2 story missions and about 4 side ones...and the augs are there but don't work. All you can do is upgrade hacking, health, energy, and strength

I'll definitely add you to my friend's list on XBL.

And I feel for your girlfriend. If I have learned one thing from my illness, it is to never say you understand. Even I cannot understand what your girlfriend is going through, but I am telling you that she needs someone to be with her. I recently found a girl out on Yahoo Answers that was - oh 13 years old - and has started suffering from terrible migraines. The thing is, her father does not believe her. These people - including me - need people to believe them. Believing in each other leads to trust, which imo leads to commitment to understand and then help. It is good you are there for her.

You lucky duck :P How are you getting access to the beta? So unfair man! lol In all seriousness, to answer your question if it would change me to be healthy through augments...Well, you know what? I've honestly asked myself that question a lot (the healthy part at least)! It's strange that you bring it up. I always go back in time and think to when I was thirteen. I strongly believe, like I've told my family, that if I hadn't gotten sick I'd still be the same person, more active of course. This is what I have big problems with...I just wish I had not gotten sick. I really was on the right path in my life, both in terms of who I was, in private and public, seeking my passions, being a good person...and yes, loving video games - haha :D

I don't know if you have heard of Chronic Lyme Disease - I only found out about it in the last year and a half, which is disturbing. The movie "Under Our Skin" (which is on Netflix btw) sheds a lot of light on it, though it can be depressing. Just beware of ticks/fleas, alright? Don't be paranoid, just be smart of course.

Like I said earlier, Augments I would fully support, especially for those with disabilities. I just CAN see contreversay on the subject, especially when military get involved...wow, that's a whole other story! PMC's, the black market, scary things still come with such technology. Still...I just see it being far too important for the disabled too ignore... I haven't read too much on any advancements, so you if or anyone finds anything, please share...

Thanks for replying, really appreciate it a bunch...I really mean this: I really hope your girlfriend can find some sort of relief from any type of pain or discomfort. I know she appreciated you being there for her at the hospital...

PS: My XBL gamertag is BOVG . Add me if you get the chance ;)

KnightRobby
22nd Aug 2011, 07:48
O MY GOD. I JUST thought of a perfect example of my sight. Last night I popped in Crysis 2 and on XBOX 360 if you look REALLY closely the enviornment has to "fill" in. I forget what the technical term is so don't hate.

It's kind of like that. I have a certain "DRAW DISTANCE" that things appear clear to me, farther away they get blurry. Kind of like the textures fill in as I walk up to them. So in a crowd if I have to pick a friend out I base them on what I KNOW they wear most often.....Sadly I've had exe's who learn about my eyes and take advantage, they'd change clothes or something....one ex even KNEW I couldn't read her cell when she sat in front of me and would text other guys while sitting in my lap.....anyway those are small examples....I'm SUPER excited for tuesday. Hope to see some of you on xbox playing DEUS EX

She would really sit in your lap and text to other guys?! Wow, what kind of horrible person does such a thing! Sorry, but anyone that takes advantage of those with some sort of handicap I never understand.

You know what they say: You can't make sense out of nonsense.

Mangajedi
22nd Aug 2011, 08:21
The beta was an early version someone put on the Internet. My room mate got it on his computer and. Got to play it: it's a preview version that is basically a demo. Trust me it was great- although the augs didn't work because I guess in that version they weren't showing off augmentations yet: either way I treated it as a demo and paid off deus ex yesterday and picking it up tomorrow on Tuesday as soon as gamestop opens and I live right across from it haha.

KnightRobby
22nd Aug 2011, 08:52
Wow, I imagine having that Gamestop across from you has you pumped - haha :D On a quick note, I recall the only time doing a midnight pick-up was for GTAIV and boy, was it fun! I stayed up all night! I've never done it since! lol :D It's truly tiring playing a game late into the night...lol

Back on topic, I've only been a part of official betas, and they are fun to get into. It's still unfair that you've played the beta, but it is good that you got too. You seem like a big fan of the game after playing it. The funnest one in recent memory has to be Gears 3 with my twin bro Ryan. Wow, that was crazy - that game is marked on my calender!

I cannot believe it...one more day!

KingNL
22nd Aug 2011, 12:42
Yep my only ever midnight pickup was GTA IV too with a buddy, there was a crazy line there but luckily an old friend of mine was already at the front and he waved for us to come over.
Got my copy there with everybody else in line getting pissed while I was thinking, today was a good day.

Mangajedi
22nd Aug 2011, 20:13
That's cool. LOL. I went to the midnight releases of Halo Reach, Resident Evil 5, Star wars the force unleashed, and Assassin's creed 2. They were all pretty fun. I am surprised Deus Ex isn't having one tonight. BUT my gamstop told me at each individual store it's up to the manager and this one actually isn't having one even though I know the staff and every one of them already has their copies paid off as well.....lucky gamestop people...they probably already have their copies.

Jewseph
23rd Aug 2011, 02:10
AMAZING READ SIR! I totally agree with you. With many of your points. I too suffer from impared sight. Without glasses or contacts I can't read anything over 5 feet away. I mean I can easily distinguish things but words are just too damn blurry. I too am a graphic design major and the beta showed me some insane talent by artists creating a beautiful and almost realistic prediction of the future. That Beta leak... After several playthroughs made me preorder the game in FULL almost a month ago.

Mangajedi
23rd Aug 2011, 04:53
Me too. I can't wait to pick it up. I'm getting up at 10 AM tomorrow to go pick it up and play it. Hope to see you all online if your on LIVE. I am more of a stealthy gamer so i play with a lot of those augs.