Devs at the shooting range to test some guns:

mVRklLmeeik

ghostnineone
20th Aug 2011, 07:05
how did they view guns before that?

they go bang and put holes in things...

DisaFear
20th Aug 2011, 07:38
The second unlock from Phase 1? Released a while ago, but I guess many new people haven't seen it yet

jtr7
20th Aug 2011, 07:40
Indeed.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=1613500#post1613500

Go through the Facebook Unlocks to catch up! :flowers:

thanos
20th Aug 2011, 22:42
These guys went and shot guns....wow

I bet they didnt handle a 41.mag.

El Padrino
21st Aug 2011, 01:17
how did they view guns before that?

they go bang and put holes in things...

The video goes into that. One example is guns recoiling up rather than straight back.

wheresmyskulgun
21st Aug 2011, 01:29
The video goes into that. One example is guns recoiling up rather than straight back.

Another good example is that most people assume heavier guns = more recoil and more difficulty keeping them in control, when in fact the opposite is true (because the weight of the gun works against muzzle rise). One of the guys in the video mentions this along with the benefits of having a shoulder stock.

ghostnineone
21st Aug 2011, 01:40

i thought that was obvious...even handguns in movies recoil up, i dont even know how you could fire a pistol if it went straight back, it'd be like pulling your hands toward your chest.

weight may be a factor in control, if its really heavy like a 240, you'd be shaking all over the place because that thing is heavy as ****.

El Padrino
21st Aug 2011, 09:30
Congratulations for knowing more about guns beyond the going bang and putting holes in things part than animators did before they ever fired a gun for themselves.

Skillet
21st Aug 2011, 14:49
Maybe it's because I'm a redneck hillbilly who grew up around guns... but it always surprises me when people talk about their first experiences using firearms and they're adults.

Ah well, I guess when you haven't spent all of your life being lectured on gun safety and firing them yourself, you're going to have a little Barney Fife syndrome.

sea
21st Aug 2011, 15:21
Is it just me, or do developer stunts like this seem like a waste of time and money? This isn't as bad as the "we took a trip to Africa!" stuff you see from some, but really, games are already expensive enough as it is... it's a nice opportunity to capture the feel of using a firearm, sure, but it also strikes me as the kind of thing you can understand through more passive analysis. If the player doesn't notice in the end, is it worthwhile? Same goes for audio work that many developers do. When there are literally thousands of audio sample CDs featuring all the firearms you can possibly imagine, available royalty-free in many cases?

Amitush
21st Aug 2011, 16:16
Well, I thinks its fantastic, gives the game a more authentic feeling

imported_the_guy
21st Aug 2011, 18:24
One of them should've demanded to use a rocket launcher (and become the one who gets a Nerf gun).

subtlesnake
21st Aug 2011, 19:51
Is it just me, or do developer stunts like this seem like a waste of time and money? This isn't as bad as the "we took a trip to Africa!" stuff you see from some, but really, games are already expensive enough as it is... it's a nice opportunity to capture the feel of using a firearm, sure, but it also strikes me as the kind of thing you can understand through more passive analysis. If the player doesn't notice in the end, is it worthwhile? Same goes for audio work that many developers do. When there are literally thousands of audio sample CDs featuring all the firearms you can possibly imagine, available royalty-free in many cases?
I look at it more as a way of reinforcing the experience of firing a gun, and giving the developers a kind of subjective reference point ("this is the feeling we're trying to replicate"). In comparison to tens or hundreds of hours of study, a single day really isn't a very much, and if it leaves a strong impression then that seems like good value for money to me.

alanschu
21st Aug 2011, 20:30

Going to a gun range is a pretty cheap thing compared to the entirety of a game development budget (especially AAA games)