PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Keypads/keyboards on consoles

Mobius32
20th Aug 2011, 00:06
Seeing as this was something I was wondering, and the exsting thread turned out to be a very thinly veiled insult towards PC gamers, I decided to make an actual thread about it

SO, will there be virtual keypads/keyboards in HR so you can manually input codes/login info, or will it be DX on PS1 style, where you have to have the codes in your datavault?

I'm hoping for the former. It was fun to have to find the right codes in your notes and put them in manually. I realise it could get annoying on a console remote, but I would still enjoy it.

Cult Icon
20th Aug 2011, 00:23
edit.

thanos
20th Aug 2011, 00:43
And useing the standard usb key set will make it much easyer ?

Cult Icon
20th Aug 2011, 00:46
edit.

thanos
20th Aug 2011, 00:52
Interesting,and seeing as I already have a usb standard key hooked up to my console,this should make it easyer,maybe.

Dr_Bob
20th Aug 2011, 10:32
Seeing as this was something I was wondering, and the exsting thread turned out to be a very thinly veiled insult towards PC gamers, I decided to make an actual thread about it

SO, will there be virtual keypads/keyboards in HR so you can manually input codes/login info, or will it be DX on PS1 style, where you have to have the codes in your datavault?

I'm hoping for the former. It was fun to have to find the right codes in your notes and put them in manually. I realise it could get annoying on a console remote, but I would still enjoy it.

Yes, you have to enter codes and passwords manually.

For the codes, you just move the analogue stick to highlight the number and hit X or Square to select it.

For passwords, you get a fake keyboard on the screen and you do the same thing as above.

Unlike the original, the relevant code or password is shown on-screen, so that you don't have to keep flicking back and forth between your PDA and the keypad/computer. I had a lot of difficulty with remembering minor details like codes and passwords in the original Deus Ex, so I'm glad about this new feature.

SageSavage
20th Aug 2011, 11:08
Yes, you have to enter codes and passwords manually.

For the codes, you just move the analogue stick to highlight the number and hit X or Square to select it.

For passwords, you get a fake keyboard on the screen and you do the same thing as above.

Unlike the original, the relevant code or password is shown on-screen, so that you don't have to keep flicking back and forth between your PDA and the keypad/computer. I had a lot of difficulty with remembering minor details like codes and passwords in the original Deus Ex, so I'm glad about this new feature.

I can see the appeal of displaying the code next to the keypad but that's one of the features, I'd whish to be optional. (switched off on "Deus Ex"-difficulty and on for the rest, with the possibility to manually override it in the game options)

Zorvan
20th Aug 2011, 12:04
So I take it the chatpads I have on both my PS3 and 360 won't work for typing stuff in?

Lirezh
20th Aug 2011, 12:29
I liked it the way it was like in DX.
I remember always having sheets of paper for each region with masses of logins and passwords and codes, often I did not know for sure which code is the right or if a password is correct.
It made me immerse more into the world, in real life I'd also not be 100% sure if the code I have works etc.

I find it real sad that they give you "cheat notes" onscreen in DX:HR.
I think there could have been better solutions.

tZer
20th Aug 2011, 13:40

I think it's one of the things they had to do to "appeal to a modern audience". Take from that what you wish.

Enraged Penguin
20th Aug 2011, 14:07
I think it's one of the things they had to do to "appeal to a modern audience". Take from that what you wish.I think it's one of those things that's just more convenient. You're going to look at your notes and find the code anyway, all this does is save you the time it would have taken you to find it on the page.

I know it's slightly immersion breaking, Ubisoft did the same thing with Splinter Cell DA. But it's such a small thing that it's just not worth bothering about. I'll take a slight immersion break over the frustration of not knowing which of the five codes I have is the correct one for the door I'm trying to open.

Mobius32
20th Aug 2011, 15:45
I'm just glad they went with manual input
Admittedly, the "cheat notes" take away from the system a bit, but I think I'll really start to appreciate them during my second, third, etc playthrough.

Doom972
20th Aug 2011, 16:01
I really liked the ability to guess passwords in the PC version of DX.
For example, when I reached Hong Kong for the first time and wanted to get into the police station and saw I needed to type a code I decided to try 911 and was really surprised when it worked. Another example would be that all two-digit codes were "12".
It also allowed for multi-user computers, which were absent in DXIW and I guess DXtC.

Mobius32
20th Aug 2011, 17:21
For example, when I reached Hong Kong for the first time and wanted to get into the police station and saw I needed to type a code I decided to try 911 and was really surprised when it worked. Another example would be that all two-digit codes were "12".
It also allowed for multi-user computers, which were absent in DXIW and I guess DXtC.

Yeah, I remember the 2-digit ones. I was like "well, I am in a Majestic 12 base, so might as well try it"

It's good to know we'll still be able to do stuff like that in HR. Unless they decide to be dicks and make the codes not work until you find them

Ashpolt
20th Aug 2011, 17:25
It's good to know we'll still be able to do stuff like that in HR. Unless they decide to be dicks and make the codes not work until you find them

To be fair, this did happen sometimes in the original. You can't get into the Triad compound until you've done the relevant quest, for instance, even if you know the code.

Mobius32
20th Aug 2011, 17:30
To be fair, this did happen sometimes in the original. You can't get into the Triad compound until you've done the relevant quest, for instance, even if you know the code.

Huh, I didn't know that. I guess it makes sense, but I hope they don't do it too often in HR.

thanos
20th Aug 2011, 22:37
maybe i`ll hook up my airkeys when I play then.

Serendip1ty
20th Aug 2011, 23:10

Yeah, i remember going into Alex Jacobson's office, stepping up to his locker & typing in 2000, didnt work & then trying 2001 & it opened. Made me feel quite the hacker back in the year 2000.

In a later playthrough i found out the code is also in his mailbox.

Doom972
20th Aug 2011, 23:28
Yeah, i remember going into Alex Jacobson's office, stepping up to his locker & typing in 2000, didnt work & then trying 2001 & it opened. Made me feel quite the hacker back in the year 2000.

In a later playthrough i found out the code is also in his mailbox.

What made you type 2000? Just a general hunch or did you get some clue?

Serendip1ty
20th Aug 2011, 23:30
What made you type 2000? Just a general hunch or did you get some clue?

It was the year 2000 ;)

El Padrino
21st Aug 2011, 01:07
I liked it the way it was like in DX.
I remember always having sheets of paper for each region with masses of logins and passwords and codes, often I did not know for sure which code is the right or if a password is correct.
It made me immerse more into the world, in real life I'd also not be 100% sure if the code I have works etc.

It's easy to say "there could have been better solutions." Better for you personally, maybe. But even then, you apparently don't know of any right now.

And how is it sad to have a code you found displayed on your screen in Human Revolution, but in the first Deus Ex it's immersive to flip through "sheets of paper" (I only needed one) that exist outside of the game world next to your desk? In both games you have all sorts of gizmos in you. If today we can build a machine that can play Jeopardy, build robots that can cook breakfast, give people mind-controlled mechanical hands, and program into our word processors annoying little paperclips that can make suggestions, then in the future we better be able to have HUDs that display the code we want to use if we for some reason can't just remember it.

Also, there should be a mod for Human Revolution that puts displayed passwords in the chat bubble of a cartoon paper clip saying stuff like "It looks like you're trying to break into Tai Yong Medical. Try: shanghaithecompetition."