PDA

View Full Version : DX:HR - Video Interviews (Warning: Possible spoilers inside!)

GamingTrend
18th Aug 2011, 18:10
We've got our first round of video interviews with the folks at Eidos Montreal up for you guys to jack directly into your brain.

http://gamingtrend.com/2011/08/18/deus-ex-human-revolution-exclusive-behind-the-scenes/

The voice you hear on the video is me, and I've played through more than 3/4 of the game, so if you have any questions that I can answer without breaking the review embargo (Tuesday), I'll gladly do so.

Thanks!

Ron Burke
Director of Gaming Trend

Free 7hinker
18th Aug 2011, 18:29
We've got our first round of video interviews with the folks at Eidos Montreal up for you guys to jack directly into your brain.

http://gamingtrend.com/2011/08/18/deus-ex-human-revolution-exclusive-behind-the-scenes/

The voice you hear on the video is me, and I've played through more than 3/4 of the game, so if you have any questions that I can answer without breaking the review embargo (Tuesday), I'll gladly do so.

Thanks!

Ron Burke
Director of Gaming Trend

That's awesome! Thank you!

1. Does the Icarus (main theme) play throughout portions of the game to add drama?

2. Are there any memorable moments (CGI or gameplay)? If so, are there a lot?

3. Is the story memorable?

4. 3/4 in, how many hours have you played and what would you say is the avg. play through on normal difficulty the first time through?

5. Is it better than the original?

6. Would you consider it a Game of the Year candidate?

uberajnn
18th Aug 2011, 18:38
The videoplayer doesn't work very well for me, each time it stops to buffer (pretty often) I have to restart the video. As a result I'm not able to watch more than 2 minutes. :[ Anyone else get this?

Dr_Bob
18th Aug 2011, 18:42
You need a tripod.

Darthassin
18th Aug 2011, 18:59
The videoplayer doesn't work very well for me, each time it stops to buffer (pretty often) I have to restart the video. As a result I'm not able to watch more than 2 minutes. :[ Anyone else get this?

I have the same problem with the video.

Solid_1723
18th Aug 2011, 19:02
No problem here...

GamingTrend
18th Aug 2011, 19:10
You need a tripod.

Yep, it was held cam. Next time!

GamingTrend
18th Aug 2011, 19:14
1. Does the Icarus (main theme) play throughout portions of the game to add drama?
Yes it does! I love that theme!

2. Are there any memorable moments (CGI or gameplay)? If so, are there a lot? The game is absolutely filled with that sort of thing! Great gameplay moments, tense stealth moments, periodic (but not a ton) cinematic moments, etc.

3. Is the story memorable? I'm 3/4 through and I still can't see the end of this massive conspiracy. I'm *loving* the story. I thought it was going this way, and suddenly it was going another way.

4. 3/4 in, how many hours have you played and what would you say is the avg. play through on normal difficulty the first time through? You can complete just the main game in roughly 20 hours. Doing all the side missions (and you'll want to) will nab you another 20.

5. Is it better than the original? That's tough...but yea, I think it is. The original is from a very different era, controls and all, but the gameplay was solid.

6. Would you consider it a Game of the Year candidate? Absolutely, 100% a candidate. There are some big games coming later this year that will certainly complete, but this game can stand against them.

Free 7hinker
18th Aug 2011, 19:14
Yep, it was held cam. Next time!

Also:

7. Are there a lot of cut scenes and do any from the trailers show up in the game?

GamingTrend
18th Aug 2011, 19:17

I'll check into it, but I had some questions - where are you located? How fast is your provider? etc I'd love to help you see the results of our hard work. :)

Free 7hinker
18th Aug 2011, 19:19
GamingTrend:

Thank you! I'm so happy the story is great and the Icarus theme is used throughout the game! Oh, one more thing:

What do you think OXM meant by this statement:

Shoddy storytelling means that all the sound and fury that results ultimately signifies dreadfully little

Most seem to believe the story is great, so I don't understand OXM's statement. The only thing I can think of is that they weren't happy with the way it was told?

Darthassin
18th Aug 2011, 19:19
8.There have been a lot of many diffrent Deus Ex trailer already showed. Are they spoiling the game in any way? Or are they just drops in the ocean?

GamingTrend
18th Aug 2011, 19:22
7. Are there a lot of cut scenes and do any from the trailers show up in the game?

No, not a ton of them. The 'big' moments are usually cutscenes. A lot from the trailers show up, but the icarus burning dream wakeup thing hasn't yet...

uberajnn
18th Aug 2011, 19:23
I'll check into it, but I had some questions - where are you located? How fast is your provider? etc I'd love to help you see the results of our hard work. :)

I'm from Norway, 15 mbit down and up. Seems the video player is bugged for me, shouldn't matter if I have to buffer a lot due to routing issues etc.. Maybe a codec issue or something.

Hmm...you should be fine. What browser version and OS?

Firefox 6.0, XP 32 SP2.

Free 7hinker
18th Aug 2011, 19:23
No, not a ton of them. The 'big' moments are usually cutscenes. A lot from the trailers show up, but the icarus burning dream wakeup thing hasn't yet...

That's great to know. That's very interesting, regarding the Icarus burning dream wake up.

GamingTrend
18th Aug 2011, 19:25
GamingTrend:

Thank you! I'm so happy the story is great and the Icarus theme is used throughout the game! Oh, one more thing:

What do you think OXM meant by this statement:

Most seem to believe the story is great, so I don't understand OXM's statement. The only thing I can think of is that they weren't happy with the way it was told?

Tough to interpret, but here is my guess:

They are on a very short deadline to review the game. That means running through very quickly and not reading /listening to the INCREDIBLE amount of emails, newspapers, eavesdropped conversations, technical papers, etc. that exist in the game to fully flesh out the 'universe' of Deus Ex. They may not have felt the impact of the game as they weren't 'immersed' the way any fan would be. Me? I'm a fan. Listening to my video again, you can kinda hear that. hehehe

GamingTrend
18th Aug 2011, 19:26
8.There have been a lot of many diffrent Deus Ex trailer already showed. Are they spoiling the game in any way? Or are they just drops in the ocean?

No, not in any way. Anything shown has been from the early parts of the game. There is PLENTY to learn.

Free 7hinker
18th Aug 2011, 19:27
Tough to interpret, but here is my guess:

They are on a very short deadline to review the game. That means running through very quickly and not reading /listening to the INCREDIBLE amount of emails, newspapers, eavesdropped conversations, technical papers, etc. that exist in the game to fully flesh out the 'universe' of Deus Ex. They may not have felt the impact of the game as they weren't 'immersed' the way any fan would be. Me? I'm a fan. Listening to my video again, you can kinda hear that. hehehe

Yes, you are. That is good to know. But, if you don't "look" for the story, is it still satisfying/cohesive? Also, when you do beat it, you NEED to answer this question:

Is the ending climatic/epic? Or...blah.

Oh!!! And...

How often have you felt goosebumps/chills (tears? lol last game to do it was MGS3 when The Boss died and when Meryl died in MGS) while playing this game (also thanks to the music)? Not many games elicit that feeling from me anymore. They're missing that "epic" feel.

GamingTrend
18th Aug 2011, 19:27
I'm from Norway, 15 mbit down and up. Seems the video player is bugged for me, shouldn't matter if I have to buffer a lot due to routing issues etc.. Maybe a codec issue or something.

Hmm...you should be fine. What browser version and OS?

Darthassin
18th Aug 2011, 19:28
Maybe someone could upload it to YT?

GamingTrend
18th Aug 2011, 19:29
Yes, you are. That is good to know. But, if you don't "look" for the story, is it still satisfying/cohesive? Also, when you do beat it, you NEED to answer this question:

Is the ending climatic/epic? Or...blah.

I had an early copy a while back and kinda burned through it. I still loved it. It *feels* like Deus Ex. You don't have to look far. I'll get back to you after I beat it, but realize there are multiple endings....

GamingTrend
18th Aug 2011, 19:31
Maybe someone could upload it to YT?

Obviously, given the ad revenue I get from folks going to my site, I'd prefer you hit my site directly. If I cannot figure it out, I'll work with each of you individually to ensure you get a copy. :)

Free 7hinker
18th Aug 2011, 19:33
I had an early copy a while back and kinda burned through it. I still loved it. It *feels* like Deus Ex. You don't have to look far. I'll get back to you after I beat it, but realize there are multiple endings....

I know and I love that there are!

(from above)

How often have you felt goosebumps/chills (tears? lol last game to do it was MGS3 when The Boss died and when Meryl died in MGS) while playing this game (also thanks to the music)? Not many games elicit that feeling from me anymore. They're missing that "epic" feel.

GamingTrend
18th Aug 2011, 19:38
I haven't cried, but it has made me think about some of what it means to be 'human'. Is a guy with spring steel legs for running (2 years ago folks, not the future) less human? Can he compete with 'normal' humans? Turns out he can run FASTER than 'normal' humans. There are some deep ethical stuff presented in this game. :)

Free 7hinker
18th Aug 2011, 19:43
I haven't cried, but it has made me think about some of what it means to be 'human'. Is a guy with spring steel legs for running (2 years ago folks, not the future) less human? Can he compete with 'normal' humans? Turns out he can run FASTER than 'normal' humans. There are some deep ethical stuff presented in this game. :)

That's amazing. I can't wait to delve into it. Alright, but what about goosebumps/chills? Like that "Omg...this is epic" feeling that the trailers evoke.

Edit: Sorry about all the questions lol How does the stealth compare to games like MGS and Splinter Cell?

GamingTrend
18th Aug 2011, 19:43

Free 7hinker
18th Aug 2011, 19:45

That's amazing. I can't wait to delve into it. Alright, but what about goosebumps/chills? Like that "Omg...this is epic" feeling that the trailers evoke.

Edit: Sorry about all the questions lol How does the stealth compare to games like MGS and Splinter Cell?

GamingTrend
18th Aug 2011, 19:46
That's amazing. I can't wait to delve into it. Alright, but what about goosebumps/chills? Like those "Omg...this is epic" feeling that the trailers evoke.

That happens a LOT. Last night I used optic camo to duck through a laser grid, sprint past a group of guards, and ducked behind a couch and into an air vent while they were actively searching for me. I felt like a boss! When things come together like that, it's pretty epic.

The stealth is better than MGS, but about the same as the later SCs. Cover based, rolling, ducking through vents and stacking boxes to climb, etc.

lol
18th Aug 2011, 19:48
Had an important question here:

as you know most games these days have very short SP,and that's it.Do you feel DX has a long campaign into it?Or can you give a rough estimate of how long ti is?I am just tired of playing games that are five hours long:(

I wanna make sure I get my money's worth on it:)

Free 7hinker
18th Aug 2011, 19:48
That happens a LOT. Last night I used optic camo to duck through a laser grid, sprint past a group of guards, and ducked behind a couch and into an air vent while they were actively searching for me. I felt like a boss! When things come together like that, it's pretty epic.

The stealth is better than MGS, but about the same as the later SCs. Cover based, rolling, ducking through vents and stacking boxes to climb, etc.

Ok. I'm satisfied now. lol I'm sure the cut scenes will give me goosebumps, too. That's important for me in terms of immersion.

Edit: Where do you rank it compared to other FPS classics? (Half Life 2, BioShock, System Shock 2, Deus Ex, etc.)

GamingTrend
18th Aug 2011, 20:26
Had an important question here:

as you know most games these days have very short SP,and that's it.Do you feel DX has a long campaign into it?Or can you give a rough estimate of how long ti is?I am just tired of playing games that are five hours long:(

I wanna make sure I get my money's worth on it:)

You'll get your money's worth, no doubt. Multipath, multisolution, every play through is different, and the game takes 30-40 hours to complete? Yea..you'll be good to go.

GamingTrend
18th Aug 2011, 20:29
Ok. I'm satisfied now. lol I'm sure the cut scenes will give me goosebumps, too. That's important for me in terms of immersion.

Edit: Where do you rank it compared to other FPS classics? (Half Life 2, BioShock, System Shock 2, Deus Ex, etc.)

Hard to compare it to those titles. Storywise those are incredible titles. I think the game hits near that mark. Shooter? Well, depending on whether you put points into dermal armor you might find it is a very quick death. :) I find that stealth is more fun for me, but shooting? It's a cover based shooter which makes it different than the list you gave. It's not Gears of War either though.

knicks21
18th Aug 2011, 21:10
are the hubs interesting? do they make you want to explore?

GamingTrend
18th Aug 2011, 21:27
are the hubs interesting? do they make you want to explore?

So the hubs are broken into sections. It loads the whole hub when you first enter the area, with another load not happening unless you enter a building. The hubs have lots of side areas that you'd have to fight or sneak into, but depending on your aug loadout, you may or may not have access to that area. The thing about the game is that it is very flexible though, so you can almost always reach that area another way. The side missions are not typical fetch quests, which helps make it interesting. :)

Charadesmith
18th Aug 2011, 22:03
Thanks man, that's pretty good

The conversation system looks awesome!

flunkorg
18th Aug 2011, 22:09
Would you say that eidos montreal did a good job respecting the source material?

SageSavage
19th Aug 2011, 00:01
Hm... I think I would have prefered Frank Lapikas' idea for the hacking-mechanics.