PDA

View Full Version : Blade Runner 2

oklahomafan999
18th Aug 2011, 17:25
Apparently, Ridley Scott is in the process of making Blade Runner 2. There is no word yet on whether this will be a prequel or a sequel, but it is exciting news nonetheless.

Here's the article. http://movies.ign.com/articles/118/1188867p1.html

mad825
18th Aug 2011, 17:30
Sounds like bad news to me.

Prometheus (another Alien sequel) seemed a bad move and I dislike today's film culture with over-bloomed CGI.

ZakKa89
18th Aug 2011, 17:55
Sounds like bad news to me.

Prometheus (another Alien sequel) seemed a bad move and I dislike today's film culture with over-bloomed CGI.

Actually prometheus looks very promising and it won't use too much cgi. They are even re-using some decor from the first Alien film (that or they remade it so it looks exactly like it)! I suggest you check out the leaked stills from the comic-con teaser and set photos

AlterEqo
18th Aug 2011, 18:41
I am very excited about this. So much that I just ordered the 5 disk blu-ray collectors edition of Blade Runner. I plan on watching it after playing some DX:HR. I'm sure this game will put me in the mood. What other movies would be cool to watch in conjunction?

AlexOfSpades
18th Aug 2011, 18:47
They'll ruin it.

Ashbery76
18th Aug 2011, 18:59
Please no.

Ashpolt
18th Aug 2011, 19:26

Actually prometheus looks very promising and it won't use too much cgi. They are even re-using some decor from the first Alien film (that or they remade it so it looks exactly like it)! I suggest you check out the leaked stills from the comic-con teaser and set photos

I know Prometheus started off as being an Alien origin story, but hasn't it spun off into its own IP now?

CyberRook
18th Aug 2011, 20:14
I'm scared. Blade Runner is the finest sci-fi movie ever made. EVER!!!! I doubt in today's dumbed-down sci-fi market that Scott will be able to make a movie that does the original justice. This is like making a new "Gone with the Wind".

Just to add to my worries about this, a friend remarked: "They're in talks with Shia LaBeouf to play Rick Deckard". He was just kidding...but why is it so hard to laugh? <shudder>

Free 7hinker
18th Aug 2011, 20:22
I am very excited about this. So much that I just ordered the 5 disk blu-ray collectors edition of Blade Runner. I plan on watching it after playing some DX:HR. I'm sure this game will put me in the mood. What other movies would be cool to watch in conjunction?

The Matrix. Minority Report. I-Robot. Artificial Intelligence. Sunshine. Moon. Metropolis. The Terminator.

Oh, and read:

Science Fiction and Philosophy. Amazing.

Ashpolt
18th Aug 2011, 20:23
^^Dumbed down sci-fi market? I can't agree with that, when the last 5 years have seen both Sunshine and Moon, two of the finest sci-fi films I've seen, as well as a remake of Battlestar Galactica which surpassed the original in just about every way. Nosiree, seems to me that it's a good time to be a sci-fi fan!

Agreed with your fears about Shia LaBeouf though...

Zorvan
18th Aug 2011, 20:35
Shia LaBeouf is a celluloid cancer that needs to be purged.

pha
18th Aug 2011, 20:52
I know Scott had PKD's blessing for the original, and it was almost excellent but I'm still hesitant because the movie industry as a whole has grown up...

singularity
18th Aug 2011, 21:14
^^Dumbed down sci-fi market? I can't agree with that, when the last 5 years have seen both Sunshine and Moon, two of the finest sci-fi films I've seen, as well as a remake of Battlestar Galactica which surpassed the original in just about every way. Nosiree, seems to me that it's a good time to be a sci-fi fan!

Agreed with your fears about Shia LaBeouf though...

I agree - it's a great time to be a science fiction fan. The Sci Fi market, which has grown up in a time of rather expansive and monumental scientific discovery, is perhaps the most intelligent and demanding in history.

I have a lot of hope for this title. Let's not forget that Scott had a lot of trouble and had to wait decades before he could finally release the version of Blade Runner that he wanted (one that didn't beat you over the head with narration, and had a thought-provoking/ bleak ending). I doubt he would have agreed to this project unless he had more control this time around.

Also the world has changed in the 20+ years since Blade Runner came out. Darker, more violent, more nihilistic stories are far more acceptable as "entertainment" today. Scott won't have to worry about content or audience as much this time.

CoDEllite
18th Aug 2011, 22:45
Might be promising if they get Shia LaBeouf involved somehow

Solid_1723
18th Aug 2011, 22:54

Now I'm sure you must be a troll!;)

AlexOfSpades
18th Aug 2011, 22:54

Give me a T give me an R give me another R give me an O...

Nexus_6
18th Aug 2011, 22:57
The original Blade Runner is my favorite science-fiction film ever, but I'd hate to see them make a sequel. After so many years have passed, a continuation would be so stylistically and aesthetically different from the original. A Blade Runner video game with the entire cast reprising their roles would be awesome, though. Me and a friend of mine are considering making a Blade Runner mod for DX:HR.

ZakKa89
18th Aug 2011, 22:59
There is nothing wrong with shia le bouf's acting, he has just been in some terrible movies.

Watch disturbia, he is actually quite good in that movie.

Solid_1723
18th Aug 2011, 23:02
The original Blade Runner is my favorite science-fiction film ever, but I'd hate to see them make a sequel. After so many years have passed, a continuation would be so stylistically and aesthetically different from the original. A Blade Runner video game with the entire cast reprising their roles would be awesome, though. Me and a friend of mine are considering making a Blade Runner mod for DX:HR.

They could let it take place in one of the colonies, so they would have more freedom from a stylistic point of view.

I hope they don't screw up to hard.

guillaume.oudin
18th Aug 2011, 23:07
Blade Runner is also very high in my list of fav movies....a true masterpiece.

Also, this might not be directly related, but I found this video concept for a game still in development which is very very Bade Runner-esque. Hope you like it :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08DzSsJVVO0

I really like the mood, tone and wibes of this.

Nexus_6
18th Aug 2011, 23:09
That's an interesting prospect. I really liked the dystopian Los Angeles setting because it combined the science fiction and noir atmospheres so well, though.

I just hope they don't cast anyone like Shia LaBoeuf or Christian Bale in it. If they recast Deckard(which would be a heinous transgression against the original film), Guy Pearce would fill the role perfectly.

Ashpolt
18th Aug 2011, 23:28
There is nothing wrong with shia le bouf's acting, he has just been in some terrible movies.

Watch disturbia, he is actually quite good in that movie.

No no no no NO NO NO he isn't. ;)

(Vaguely related: Did you also find Disturbia massively disappointing? I spent the entire film expecting a massive, awesome twist and....nothing. The killer is the guy they've been saying it is all along. Not a satisfying resolution at all!)

ZakKa89
18th Aug 2011, 23:40
No no no no NO NO NO he isn't. ;)

(Vaguely related: Did you also find Disturbia massively disappointing? I spent the entire film expecting a massive, awesome twist and....nothing. The killer is the guy they've been saying it is all along. Not a satisfying resolution at all!)

I enjoyed it. Not every thriller needs to have a twist at the end. It actually felt quite refreshing that they were right all along.

MaxxQ1
19th Aug 2011, 06:23
I'm scared. Blade Runner is the finest sci-fi movie ever made. EVER!!!!

While I agree that BR is a great SF film - top three at least, IMO, I have to say that I still think 2001: A Space Odyssey is the bestest. It's not everyone's cup o' tea, though.

Agreed on BSG. I refused to watch it during its intial run, because I was a stubborn old fart and was holding on to my belief that remakes are a VERY BAD THING. Earlier this year, the entire series was on Netflix streaming, and since it's free for me, I figured I had nothing to lose but time and started watching it. Finished all four seasons and both movies in a week, and when I got my tax return a few weeks later, bought the boxed set on DVD.

I know Scott had PKD's blessing for the original, and it was almost excellent but I'm still hesitant because the movie industry as a whole has grown up...

I LOL'd. :lol:

KnightRobby
19th Aug 2011, 06:38
I'm actually quite excited for this news. I was thinking that it would actually be nice to see this, but I think it would also be cool to see Harrison Ford back...I don't know if that is going to happen, but either way, I believe this generation needs to experience a Blade Runner movie.

I did not grow up with Blade Runner, but I have learned to respect films from any year. I did not grow up with the original Star Wars, but like many, I am a huge fan. Blade Runner has always caught my attention and I really hope that, if they end up making this, they don't mess it up. I think that you can easily have great visuals (CGI) and an excellent story.

Btw, it's good to post out here - nice to met everyone :)

The77s
19th Aug 2011, 06:44
I didn't like Blade Runner, there were some parts of it I liked, like the guy who creates those toys, he's talking with the woman and that man, such good filming and acting, loved that bit, but most of it I didn't like too much, mind you, everyone who told me to watch it hyped it like hell, saying it was amazing, the best, so I went into it expecting it to be one of the best sci-fi films I've ever seen, and because of that, I think I didn't like it so much.

My favorite sci-fi is The Fifth Element.

wowlace
19th Aug 2011, 09:22
I welcome this news, but if it sucks............RAGE.

To be honest I am more worried about the Neuromancer film in the works. If they **** that up I may become suicidal.

demon boy
19th Aug 2011, 16:28
I hope they don't make the movie about Rick Decker at all. Obviously, a new Blade Runner movie will have significant issues if it attempts to exist within the same world as the original. I loved the original but it was a look at the future from the mind of someone living in the early 1980s. There were flying cars and yet when you had to make a phone call, you needed to find a pay phone. That's not to even mention the fact that the movie takes place in the year 2019! I don't think we'll be seeing flying cars, Martian mining sites and androids in 8 years.

If they make a new Blade Runner it has to be more of a re-imagining of the movie or a spiritual successor. The actual world depicted in the original movie just wouldn't work today. The new movie will likely have to be based at least 20-30 years in the future.

This is something that I wish people in entertainment would actually think longer and harder about. Plausibility is an important aspect of storytelling in my book. This is one of the major areas where DXHR loses points for me. A 2-tiered city and wide-spread advanced mechanical/cybernetic augmentations by the year 2027? I don't think so.

Oh and I agree with the guy who said that now is a good time to be a sci-fi fan. There are a lot of interesting ideas out there. The first two seasons of Battlestar were great and recent big and small budget movies have been very cool. From Moon to District 9 we have seen a lot of innovation in the sci-fi genre of late and a movement away from just raw spending on CGI.

Promethius looks Promising but I'm even more excited about Elysium. That's Neil Blomkamp's follow up to District 9. After seeing what he was able to do with a $30 million budget and no-name actors, I'm eagerly anticipating what he will create with $120 million and people like Matt Damon and Jodie Foster.

Zorvan
20th Aug 2011, 06:13
I didn't like Blade Runner, there were some parts of it I liked, like the guy who creates those toys, he's talking with the woman and that man, such good filming and acting, loved that bit, but most of it I didn't like too much, mind you, everyone who told me to watch it hyped it like hell, saying it was amazing, the best, so I went into it expecting it to be one of the best sci-fi films I've ever seen, and because of that, I think I didn't like it so much.

Don't feel bad, bro. I'm right there with you, found Blade Runner to be a mediocre B-grade film at best.

And Fifth Element was awesome. It was a nice blend of sci-fi along with a story and characters that managed to not take themselves too seriously while also at the same time not coming off "goofy". Was also one of the few Bruce Willis movies I enjoyed.

As a bonus, it made me aware of Milla Jovovich and that alone was worth the price of admission.

Saerain
20th Aug 2011, 10:15
This is something that I wish people in entertainment would actually think longer and harder about. Plausibility is an important aspect of storytelling in my book. This is one of the major areas where DXHR loses points for me. A 2-tiered city and wide-spread advanced mechanical/cybernetic augmentations by the year 2027? I don't think so. I can see no reason nanotech-based manufacturing shouldn't be widespread by the late 2020s, and with that in mind I don't find the construction of such a city in the interim very implausible. The biggest hurdle would be getting a technophobic public to be OK with it. But I don't know—maybe that wouldn't be as much of a problem in China as it is here.

The augmentations are a different matter. I don't see why we'd be bothering with crude mechanical prostheses in 2027 at all, with how nanotech is bound to accelerate. I don't see prosthetics penetrating very much before they're completely outdated.

Shinnkca1971
20th Aug 2011, 17:14
I definitely agree with you Blade Runner is one the finest movies made, for a movie was made back in the early 1980's the special effects were great for this time period. The kept to the true Cyberpunk ideas. Dark future, highly powerful corporations, and many others. Harrison Ford played a great role in this futuristic movie.

hellrasinbrasin
20th Aug 2011, 17:28
I think that if you can't come up with a strong concept for what you would like to do with a sequel to a film like Blade Runner you are better off to leave it well alone..

20th Aug 2011, 19:06
Hopefully this will go the way of the live-action Cowboy Bebop movie and fade into the dusts of time.

Zorvan
20th Aug 2011, 19:50
A 2-tiered city ...?

Notice it looks strangely reminiscent of Midgard from Square's FFVII? Even has the numbered pillars holding it up.

demon boy
20th Aug 2011, 20:26
I can see no reason nanotech-based manufacturing shouldn't be widespread by the late 2020s, and with that in mind I don't find the construction of such a city in the interim very implausible. The biggest hurdle would be getting a technophobic public to be OK with it. But I don't know—maybe that wouldn't be as much of a problem in China as it is here.

The augmentations are a different matter. I don't see why we'd be bothering with crude mechanical prostheses in 2027 at all, with how nanotech is bound to accelerate. I don't see prosthetics penetrating very much before they're completely outdated.

Advanced nanotech is like a space flight to Mars. It's perpetually 20 years away.

Building a second level to a city like Shanghai would be a massive undertaking. And exactly where would the impetus (and funding) to do this come from? We're talking about 16 years from now; not 60.

As for the mechanical augmentations, we are not even close to being able to produce artificial limbs that are better than the ones we're born with. This game depicts massive amounts of people willingly replacing their body parts with mechanical prostheses that give them near super-human ability. Not only limbs, they are actually replacing their eyes! This means a complete understanding of human brain function (something we are no where near to having). Anyways, to me, this is not a reasonable extrapolation within a 16 year time frame.

CyberRook
20th Aug 2011, 20:41
To be honest I am more worried about the Neuromancer film in the works. If they **** that up I may become suicidal.

Agreement here! I hope Vincenzo Natali has the courage to make a suitably moody and deep film and resists any attempt by the studio to get him to turn it into some sort of Matrix redux. ****

Enraged Penguin
20th Aug 2011, 21:10

Watch disturbia, he is actually quite good in that movie.The problem I have with him in movies is that he always plays the same part. He's like our generations Clint Eastwood, only not even remotely badass.

But yeah Disturbia was a pretty good film. I think I liked Eagle Eye aswell, although I can't really remember. That doesn't say much for it does it lol? It was probably average, it certainly wasn't bad or I'd have remembered it for that. The ones I hate are the Transformers films. I don't know WTF is going on there, for some reason after seeing those films a large amount of adult nerds now believe that it's socially acceptable to be into the franchise as a whole. They're kid's toys. Hearing people in their late twenties talk about which one is their favourite transformer isn't even nerdy, it's just flat out creepy :hmm:

I'm all for having Shia LaBouf in a Blade Runner remake though. As long as he plays his normal part, in the role of the psychologist at the start. At least that's a relatively small role, and it's ending would be quite satisfying to watch if it was played by LaBouf. I don't think I've ever seen him brutally murdered in a film before.

Hyperbolic
20th Aug 2011, 21:37

That's a very odd way of looking at it. If anything it's regressed and turned into a fast food industry. There are very few movies a year anymore that are truly worth seeing, even less that say with you. It's also sad that CGI has essentially replaced all, but those rarest of good movies from Japan for animation anymore too. It's fine that the technology has advanced and things look better than ever, but it's still pretty sterile even compared to some of the old Disney movies. The overuse of CGI in live action movies is pretty awful too. Sometimes it works very well, but often it's used with a very poor (and obvious) effect and such scenes would have been better served with simply using the old model method, latex/rubber suit or not even showing it at all.

The problem I have with him in movies is that he always plays the same part. He's like our generations Clint Eastwood, only not even remotely badass.

I think a better comparison would be David Duchovny. Doesn't matter if it's X-Files, Kalifornia or Californication, he's essentially the same character in all of them. I personally don't have a problem with either of them though, except for the fact that Shia was in three of the worst movies I've seen in the last ten years.

Ashbery76
20th Aug 2011, 22:09
I didn't like Blade Runner

Try watching it again in the future when you are an adult.

Hyperbolic
20th Aug 2011, 22:12
Try watching it again in the future when you are an adult.

And then you realize it's just as good as it was ten years previously. I saw it in the theater in 97 and then just bought the remastered Blu-Ray a month ago. Of course it's silly, it was based off of a comic book and was meant to be that quirky--not taken seriously. It's still one of the best (to clarify: funnest) Sci-Fi movies even with the terribly stilted acting by the "President". The use of color in that movie was nothing short of phenomenal either, and the effects were especially fantastic for the era, and still hold up very well today.