PDA

View Full Version : Romance?

Asterisk
16th Aug 2011, 08:46
Are there any romantic options in this game? ;)

NKD
16th Aug 2011, 08:48
Vending machines.

Asterisk
16th Aug 2011, 08:51
Vending machines.

rofl

DXeXodus
16th Aug 2011, 08:53
Vending Machines are totally the new companion cube.

What exactly do you mean by 'Romance options'?

tZer
16th Aug 2011, 08:54
My gosh, I hope not. This is not Bioware, after all.

Asterisk
16th Aug 2011, 09:06
Vending Machines are totally the new companion cube.

What exactly do you mean by 'Romance options'?

What do you think I mean? I mean are there any women in the game that Adam can have sexual relations with.

dannybates
16th Aug 2011, 09:11
Megan Reed is the head of neuro-scientific research on augmentations at Sarif Industries, Adam Jensen's romantic interest and niece of David Sarif in Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

This I did not know, Michelle Boback, Megan's voice actress, is the wife of Elias Toufexis, who in turn voices Adam Jensen.

Brockxz
16th Aug 2011, 09:15
Megan is alive and she most liekly will be romance option if there is such in the game

Gaughranorama
16th Aug 2011, 09:18

Wrong forum. Go here (http://www.twilightmovie.org/thread)

Asterisk
16th Aug 2011, 09:30
This is a RPG. I want to RPG some romance.

Gaughranorama
16th Aug 2011, 09:36
Deus ex is not about fulfilling some teeny angst romance fantasy, so no.

dannybates
16th Aug 2011, 09:38

Sorry nobody is willing to romance Adam Jensen

Jack Dandy
16th Aug 2011, 10:41

Freaking Bioware makes newbies think RPGs are about romances.
Go play a Visual Novel if you want a virtual romance so much!

Biggus
16th Aug 2011, 10:45
no - Adam lacks proper augumentations/prostetics

Charadesmith
16th Aug 2011, 10:48
Bioware is one of my fav devs out there but no, i do not want romance in this game. It's better that it focuses on other things.

To answer your question, one reviewer in a magazine said that during the game there seems to be one romance option that could "open up" but never does. Take that as you will.

Anyway, if you know the storyline you should be aware that Adam shouldn't be in much of a hurry to get back to a relationship...

Jordasm
16th Aug 2011, 11:05

No, this isn't a Bioware game. You could always try your hand at actual real life romance.

Charadesmith
16th Aug 2011, 11:12
That kind of attitude towards "newcomers" will just result in less sales. Gj

DXeXodus
16th Aug 2011, 13:23
Deleted the last bunch of posts as they were not only off topic but completely pointless in the whole.

Today is a bad day :(

KingNL
16th Aug 2011, 14:06
I hope there's no forced, stupid, moronic romance in this game like mass effect and dragon age.

sajin
16th Aug 2011, 14:48
I hope there's no forced, stupid, moronic romance in this game like mass effect and dragon age.

iirc, all romances in those two games were optional, none were forced on you.

thanos
16th Aug 2011, 15:14
None the less it is an interesting question.

Riddik116
16th Aug 2011, 15:19

ummm... morgan anybody? also anders was pushy about it in DA2. as for mass effect yeah it didnt feel forced.

OT: if they do it naturally then sure but i prefer they just left out the love scenes.

Jordasm
16th Aug 2011, 16:13

I always thought Morrigan was pretty forced...the rest though, nah, they're avoidable. But I think literally everyone I've spoken to about Mass Effect has done like every single romance option. They love there waifu's.

AlexOfSpades
16th Aug 2011, 17:50
Freaking Bioware makes newbies think RPGs are about romances.
Go play a Visual Novel if you want a virtual romance so much!

Freaking newbies think RPGs are all about shooting and talking to people.

If RPG stands for Role Playing Game, which would be an immersive game where you must roleplay - that is, act like a person inside the game (instead of jumping around like in Mario), then i think its natural to expect a romance in such.

However, this is a Deus Ex game, and that comes first. Deus Ex is a serious, dark game. There's no such thing as romance. We're dealing with special operations to save the planet from worldwide conspiracies, involving aliens, robots, cyborgs, terrorrists and orange sodas.

You dont have time to sit down and talk to the ladies. You have more important stuff to deal with.

Gaughranorama
16th Aug 2011, 19:23

If RPG stands for Role Playing Game, which would be an immersive game where you must roleplay - that is, act like a person inside the game (instead of jumping around like in Mario), then i think its natural to expect a romance in such.

Well given that the main character's recently ex-long term girlfriend was just brutally murdered I think it's natural that romance is the last thing on his mind and revenge the foremost.

thanos
16th Aug 2011, 19:45
Every hero needs a love interest even if she is killed,or dead.

Zorvan
16th Aug 2011, 20:13

That depends. Do you have a bottle of lotion and a box of tissues? Then pick a character and romance your little heart out.

Shralla
16th Aug 2011, 20:33
Every hero needs a love interest even if she is killed,or dead.

Yeah, like JC.

Oh wait.

Redem
16th Aug 2011, 21:19
Yeah, like JC.

Oh wait.

Well JC apparently Aussie girls but since his mission didn't took him there he didn't get much action.

He did tried to contact once he had merge with Helios, although that didn't exactly work out as he expected with him sharing his mind with Omni-potent computer and all

Although while it doesn't quite give us context I'm pretty sure I saw a Adam kissing the Picus newsgirl in one of the trailer

The_Audiophile
16th Aug 2011, 21:59
I remember reading something in the blog answering a question that hinted at there being some romance in the game, probably tied in in the story.

Bloodwolf806
16th Aug 2011, 22:00
http://eidosmontreal.tumblr.com/post/7533793019/will-deus-ex-human-revolution-feature-a-romance

KingNL
16th Aug 2011, 22:08

However, this is a Deus Ex game, and that comes first. Deus Ex is a serious, dark game. There's no such thing as romance. We're dealing with special operations to save the planet from worldwide conspiracies, involving aliens, robots, cyborgs, terrorrists and orange sodas.

You dont have time to sit down and talk to the ladies. You have more important stuff to deal with.

If we are going to talk about realism, why stop there?
Let's also incorporate going to the bathroom into the game, eating food, visiting your relatives, getting sick and spending all day in bed, getting STD's, working from 9-5 etc. etc.

knicks21
16th Aug 2011, 22:38
i thought its annoying in bioware games where if your not a jerk to everyone you get layed AUTO-MAGICLY

Nexus_6
16th Aug 2011, 23:16
Nah. I don't think Adam would be the romantic type after what happens to him in the game's opening, but who knows... For all we know, Megan could still be alive.

jason95821
16th Aug 2011, 23:42
deus ex is the new eroge visual novels lol hot vending machine sex

Asterisk
17th Aug 2011, 00:55
http://eidosmontreal.tumblr.com/post/7533793019/will-deus-ex-human-revolution-feature-a-romance

Ah, a non troll bait answer. Thank you for that.

Zorvan
17th Aug 2011, 04:35

Quote: "Yes. The extent to which it unfolds does depend on how deep you dig though…"

Great. So basically Jensen's going to be probed by aliens.:hmm:

RKB287
17th Aug 2011, 09:55
Is it vital to add a romance option?No.

Would it add another layer to the story, especially if it was Megan? Yeah.

Zorvan
17th Aug 2011, 19:26
Is it vital to add a romance option?No.

Would it add another layer to the story, especially if it was Megan? Yeah.

Screw Megan.

Now Federova, THERE'S a woman!!

RKB287
17th Aug 2011, 20:31
Screw Megan.

Now Federova, THERE'S a woman!!

http://a.imagehost.org/0600/deusX_2.jpg

http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/7126/9457883.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/814/9457883.jpg/)

Sorry about the size, but for some reason I couldn´t use the spoilers for the bigger pic.

What about that asian chick that appeared in the "House of Revenge" trailer? The one that says to Adam that he has to help her. They seemed close...

Jordasm
17th Aug 2011, 20:59
http://a.imagehost.org/0600/deusX_2.jpg

http://media.captiontool.com/a/caption_38f7e9a470447b585787284c928464a0.jpg?=1313611713

Sorry about the size, but for some reason I couldn´t use the spoilers for the bigger pic.

What about that asian chick that appeared in the "House of Revenge" trailer? The one that says to Adam that he has to help her. They seemed close...

She's in the comic, she's the CEO of Thai Yong Medical

RKB287
17th Aug 2011, 22:22
She's in the comic, she's the CEO of Thai Yong Medical

Ah, sorry, hadn´t managed to buy them. Thanks for the heads-up.

singularity
17th Aug 2011, 22:48

I'm glad I'm not the only one who follows that tumblr. Just about every question people have had about the game for the last 4 years has been answered in there within the last couple of months...

TheYouthCounselor
17th Aug 2011, 23:15
Aye, just like us pretentious DX fans to beat down the newbie.

But as for romance in the game. Aside from the obvious Megan Reed relationship , Adam can flirt with several characters throughout the game such as an old cop friend who is working undercover as a prostitute or a receptionist. He is also seen making out in the trailers with Zhao Yun Ru and getting close with Eliza

thanos
18th Aug 2011, 01:34
Interesting.

DisaFear
18th Aug 2011, 02:27
The facebook unlock video with the vocie actors say that
Eliza has something for Adam
so

Snake04
18th Aug 2011, 22:21
Deus ex ain't mass effect there is no romance its meant to be dark I hate bioware for making newbies think all rpg games have to have romance

CoDEllite
18th Aug 2011, 22:32
YESSSSSS but only with Pritchard

Bromances are romances too you know

Ashpolt
18th Aug 2011, 23:33
YESSSSSS but only with Pritchard

Bromances are romances too you know

no homo brah

Solid_1723
18th Aug 2011, 23:36
Please no homo romance option! I'm still having terrible nightmares about Zevran!:(

XX55XX
18th Aug 2011, 23:51
As long as I can see Jensen making out with Eliza, I'll be happy.

CoDEllite
19th Aug 2011, 04:48
Please no homo romance option! I'm still having terrible nightmares about Zevran!:(

But I ASSURE u Adam/Pritchard/David Sariff love triangle will be nothing like that lame juvenile crap that Bioware likes to pass off as romance. This will be true love with all of its emotional pits and peaks. I expect nothing else. At least hopefully future dlc will make it happen.

tZer
19th Aug 2011, 06:33
At least hopefully future dlc will make it happen.

Sure, right with the driveable vehicle dlc in cities that barely have 2 streets.

[FGS]Shadowrunner
19th Aug 2011, 13:57
The world is rioting, secret conglomerates are pushing evil on the population, your girlfriend has been punched to the ground, kidnapped by some anti-social people with big guns, you've just had half your body turned robot...

and you want... romance. lol... check those actuators in the brain augmentations, agent, you have a job to do.

Itkovian
19th Aug 2011, 14:06
I'm not sure I see what's wrong with having a romance within a game's storyline. The reactions I see in this thread are rather disappointing.

Take a good look at the genres Deus Ex draws from: Cyberpunk and Spy Thrillers. Now take a look at the classic novels of those genres. You won't find many without some form of romance in it.

It is a classic and time-honoured storytelling element, and most definitely has a place within the Deus Ex narrative. It wasn't in Deus Ex, true enough, but does it necessarily follow that any sequels/prequels must absolutely avoid any storyelements not found in the original? Of course not.

Furthermore, DX:HR opens up with Jensen losing his love interest. It would be quite appropriate if, in the course of his journey, he manages to find love again.

So yes, it is a legitimate question, and one that is definitely NOT worthy of derision or juvenile remarks.

Itkovian

SethSteiner
19th Aug 2011, 14:16
The negative reactions seem to have something to do with the media. Games are just not as developed as literature or movies are especially in the point of romances. There is still a group of gamers who just want to shoot everything and where character development, depth and so one is something they never heard of.

I am glad that there seems to be love in the world or maybe just sex and interest (but I don't think Deus Ex will be as same as mature as the Witcher). If games want to develope, romance is something that have to be a part of the stories and of the worlds we see. It's way more important than one might think.

lordnoak
19th Aug 2011, 14:17
You can tell this is an American forum because half of you are afraid of anything sexual. Romances add another level to the story and are not a bad thing.

Ok I'm out before someone makes another Bioware reference. Maybe you guys should stick to Zelda, yeah? Oh wait, there's a princess romance option there at the end too... :(

luminar
19th Aug 2011, 15:22
It is my belief that romance can be developed through experiencing hardship together so of course romantic feelings will be developed. I just hope if they include it it's done right.