PDA

View Full Version : DX:HR & DLC - All Discussion - Is there going to be DLC for the Game?

Shinnkca1971
16th Aug 2011, 03:23
The question I have is there going to be Downloadable content for Deus Ex like new missions for the game. This would be awesome. Is going be available for PS3 and PC? This would be the game sale like hot cakes. More mission and side-quests would add more content to the game as well.

CoDEllite
16th Aug 2011, 03:25
Of course the only question if when and if it will include multiplayer or vehicles

thanos
16th Aug 2011, 03:33
More weapons would be nice.

Bendragoon
16th Aug 2011, 04:13
I would be cool if the DLC included the EXPLOSIVE MISSION PACK and the TACTICAL ENHANCEMENT PACK.

Maybe a remote control drone like this:
http://www.flyingtoys.com/image/data/silverlit2011/spacegriffen/a.png

Bendragoon

knicks21
16th Aug 2011, 04:27
it would be cool if they rerealesed the first game with hr's graphics and gameplay systems as dlc IMO

Riddik116
16th Aug 2011, 04:32
it would be cool if they rerealesed the first game with hr's graphics and gameplay systems as dlc IMO

that wouldnt be dlc... thats called an HD remake, which is something i pray is made (even pray more for a port of it to consoles).

thanos
16th Aug 2011, 04:39
Hmm prehaps more missions,praxis points,and weapon mods maybe ?

knicks21
16th Aug 2011, 05:21
that wouldnt be dlc... thats called an HD remake, which is something i pray is made (even pray more for a port of it to consoles).

if they ever do it they should add that moon mission that was cut

tZer
16th Aug 2011, 07:30
Multiplayer please.

MaxxQ1
16th Aug 2011, 09:25
Multiplayer please.

Not likely. I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but it's highly doubtful, IMO, that there will ever be MP with DX:HR. At least, not from EM.

Shinnkca1971
16th Aug 2011, 14:56
A port over would be great. Seeing old Deus Ex Game on the PS3 or XBOX360 would be great as well.

KingNL
16th Aug 2011, 15:04
Cityhubs as DLC please

Gemuesepizza
16th Aug 2011, 15:06
I would like to see a language DLC for consoles (on Xbox Live and PSN) for Europe, so that for example, we in Germany can play in English. I would even pay for it. :)

Biggus
16th Aug 2011, 15:06
SDK for me

Bendragoon
16th Aug 2011, 18:58
Cityhubs as DLC please

I would like that as well, maybe Vancouver, BC, Canada or Hong Kong, China

JohnnyRacer
16th Aug 2011, 19:53
More weapons our maybe different augs.

Tyrant
16th Aug 2011, 20:48
I would like to see DLC expansion where you can play as a newly recruited Tyrant operative or something like them. Maybe make the choice whether you truly stick with them and follow orders or break away from them and disrupt their operations or something along those lines.

Bloodwolf806
16th Aug 2011, 21:51
http://playstationlifestyle.net/2010/08/20/deus-ex-human-revolution-dlc-confirmed/

dustin26
17th Aug 2011, 00:12
http://www.gamespot.com/shows/now-playing/?event=now_playing_deus_ex_human_revolution20110805&tag=calendar%3Btitle%3B3

Here's a new video of the Detroit mission to disable the satellite in derelict row. The most interesting part however, is in the end he briefly states how they had to cut some locations and city hubs to meet the release deadline. I know a few people here were angry that only two hubs are in the final game.

He also said that with the cut areas, the game was in the 60 hour range. That would've been awesome!

Mobius32
17th Aug 2011, 00:24
I smell paid DLC...

Ashpolt
17th Aug 2011, 00:24
Gee, I wonder if we'll be seeing those cut areas as paid DLC?

Fox89
17th Aug 2011, 00:34
http://www.gamespot.com/shows/now-playing/?event=now_playing_deus_ex_human_revolution20110805&tag=calendar%3Btitle%3B3

Here's a new video of the Detroit mission to disable the satellite in derelict row. The most interesting part however, is in the end he briefly states how they had to cut some locations and city hubs to meet the release deadline. I know a few people here were angry that only two hubs are in the final game.

He also said that with the cut areas, the game was in the 60 hour range. That would've been awesome!

There are 3 in the final game aren't there? Pretty sure there's 3.

Which is just fine for me. Even if the rest is DLC, so what? As long as I get my money's worth with the main game, I'm happy to pay extra if the quality is high.

Ashpolt
17th Aug 2011, 00:37
There are 3 in the final game aren't there? Pretty sure there's 3.

Nope. 3 is what they originally announced (Detroit, Hengsha, Montreal - there may have been more, even, but those 3 were mentioned as definite) but they've cut Montreal down to simply an "extended mission," most likely just the Picus studio.

Charadesmith
17th Aug 2011, 00:39
Cutting isn't necessarily bad, it depends. 60 hour? That seems like overkill for a game like this. Would end up being repetitive. I'd say that 40 hours is the maximum a DE game could hold without losing touch.

Didn't they say that montreal is more of a mini-hub rather than an extended mission? Sounds like two different things.

Ashpolt
17th Aug 2011, 00:59
Cutting isn't necessarily bad, it depends. 60 hour? That seems like overkill for a game like this. Would end up being repetitive. I'd say that 40 hours is the maximum a DE game could hold without losing touch.

I'm getting a distinct feeling of "EM defence force" from this part of your post: if it was 60 hours, with the possibility of 80, I'm fairly certain you'd be saying "80 hours is too much, 60 is just right." Similarly, if it was 20 hours, with the possibility of 40, I'm sure you'd happily claim that 40 was too much. Pure speculation on my part of course.

I'd say if a game's good, I'd like as much of it as possible. Defending it being shorter than the initial plan seems somewhat backwards to me.

Didn't they say that montreal is more of a mini-hub rather than an extended mission? Sounds like two different things.

As far as I'm aware, EM haven't said anything about it, beyond that they've cut a city hub. Calling Montreal an "extended mission" comes from PC Gamer's review.

Charadesmith
17th Aug 2011, 01:03
Speculation and wrong. Games can be too long and wear out. Resident Evil 4 was such a case. I remember knowing it lasted about 20 hours, which was quite long for a RE game. When i played it, halfway through it should have ended.

The original's DE last third is also quite poor and repetitive. Should have been cut and shorter.

No point in having weaker sections of the game if they're just there to lengthen playtime. I do not measure my euro's enjoyment out of hours.

Metro 2033 was short and sweet. I played it three times on a row, something i hadn't done in a while.

Less is more

thanos
17th Aug 2011, 01:15
Ah but some people people do enjoy long games,as it is, most things I tend to play dont even top 20 hours, and I end up beating the game in one go,getting bored with it and so on.

itsonyourhead
17th Aug 2011, 01:34
The original's DE last third is also quite poor and repetitive. Should have been cut and shorter.

Less is more

AGH! If anything Deus Ex should have been longer. The last third contained some of the more interesting and fun parts of the game, but comparatively speaking it's all amazing.

I think some gamers have shorter attention spans/are not used to playing games over longer periods of time. I blame modern media.

Charadesmith
17th Aug 2011, 01:38
I blame higher levels of standard

Senka
17th Aug 2011, 01:54
"The objective marker isn't really pinpoint.."

*maker right on the hacking terminal* .______.

Good thing we can turn it off.

iamrob7
17th Aug 2011, 02:30
This is a great shame, 60 hours would have awesome. I hope it is released, it's a shame it will not be in the final game though.

As for getting bored with it, that might be the case for some people, not in my opinion though for a large amount of Deus Ex fans. Personally if the game was 200 hours I would be delighted, provided the story carried it.

flunkorg
17th Aug 2011, 02:41
Wait wait wait.... they cut out montreal? I refuse to believe EM made this and that this is all a hoax.

Enemy242
17th Aug 2011, 03:03
Uh it's pretty simple, if they had to cut something then obviously there was a reason for it being cut and it wouldn't have been as good as if it had been left in. Honestly they can't win because people are going to ***** about something and it's pretty ridiculous; there's cut content in EVERY SINGLE MEDIA FORM (bonus tracks bands don't put on, paintings artists don't use, scenes in movies that get cut and added into the directors edition and jsut so much more). If they left all the cut content in then people would complain WAHH IT DRAWS ON TOO LONG, IT DOESN'T FEEL CONCISE OR FLOWING TOGETHER, PARTS OF IT JUST GET DULL AND FEEL LIKE THEY DON'T FIT, WAH PARTS ARE TOO BUGGY, IT'S NOT POLISHED ENOUGH ETC. I would muchhhh rather have what they were able to do with all their ideas over 4 years (which is definitely a good amount of time) put together and cut into a concise story and game that is as polished and high quality as possible as opposed to having an insanely longer game but parts that simply feel like they don't need to be there, have missed bugs etc. Keep in mind it takes a longg time to play test things, get bugs out of areas, make sure everything flows correctly because obviously their perspective will be different than that of regular people etc.

You can't just expect them to keep every single idea in it and still be 100% polished, have the correct flow and be bug free. That's part of the reason the Elder Scrolls games CONSTANTLY ship with bugs, because they're such gigantic games that it's impossible to find and polish everything in time. That may be a fine approach for that game where it's completely open ended and a giant living breathing world where you're a nameless hero, but this game has a different form and while it is open ended, it's not meant to be like that at all.

If it comes out as paid DLC then that's even better because that means that in addition to releasing the best possible game that is the most polished as possible, with the best flow of the story as possible and as bug free and high quality as possible, that after the fact they went back to the areas they cut, finished them up, fleshed out how they could integrate it back into the game like the originally planned and spent more time on that. The fact is they don't have enough time to do everything and eventually it has to be released, so once it is and has the story/gameplay it's meant to, they can use the time after to take previous ideas and make them fit into the game world and expand upon them in a much better and enjoyable fashion than if they had to rush to try and get everything in and end up missing glitches and problems. Deus ex cut missions and ideas as well yet the game was amazing but we didn't ever get to see them; I'd much rather be able to see these cut areas after the fact for a price than completely miss out like the original game, but that doesn't change the end quality of the game as you can tell from all that they've said that they didn't cut anything out specifically to be used as DLC like a lot of other games do.

knicks21
17th Aug 2011, 03:09
i heard there were 5 cities in apreview dated aug 9 so i think we'll still have at least 4. but who knows

cqc_batman
17th Aug 2011, 03:28
Oh yeah you can bet it's going to be on a DLC. When I purchase an SP game, I expect it to be no less than 20 hours. I have really high hopes for this game since it looks awesome. Saw plenty of pre-alpha build walkthroughs with different approaches and this game is going to be the only game I'll play until October for BF3.

KingNL
17th Aug 2011, 03:44
4 years but still they had to cut the most awesome part of the game, the city hubs :(

thanos
17th Aug 2011, 03:52
The hubs can be made as possable Dlc, more cash at the standard rate of ten bucks US currentcy per customer.

KingNL
17th Aug 2011, 03:57
Ah I see, Square Enix attended the Capcom school of business.

thanos
17th Aug 2011, 04:07
Yea,kinda of like how verus mode was supposedly already on RE5`s disc and we still ended up shelling out for it.

rokstrombo
17th Aug 2011, 04:23
I vaguely recall talk of 5 city hubs around the time of the first announcement of the game, but I'm not surprised that significant cuts were required in order to meet the deadline.

It was interesting that the developer in that Gamespot interview described the cuts in the context of gameplay hours rather than development time or cost. Perhaps there will be paid DLC?

Itkovian
17th Aug 2011, 04:54
Hum, let's be clear here: they did not have a 60 hour long finished game. This is how long they figured the game would be if they stuck to their original plan. It might even have made their alpha build (which was very primitive), but then they cut it so they could finish the game in time (and DX3 had a pretty long dev time).

This is not a case of them having a bunch of extra material, and then cutting it so they could sell it as DLC. They MIGHT decide to finish that cut content and then release it as DLC (in which case the DLC sales will pay for the extra development they end up doing), but let's not start the accusations of "removing features from the game to sell later".

That said, if they do offer a new hub and missions as DLC, I would be very happy... though given how intense a hub might be this sounds more like the domain of an expansion pack than simple DLC.

Itkovian

The_Audiophile
17th Aug 2011, 05:04
Ah I see, Square Enix attended the Capcom school of business.

I would definitely pay for a Deus Ex: Ultimate Super Hyper Turbo Alpha Remix : Director's Cut Edition

Cypher2587
17th Aug 2011, 05:20
Speculation and wrong. Games can be too long and wear out. Resident Evil 4 was such a case. I remember knowing it lasted about 20 hours, which was quite long for a RE game. When i played it, halfway through it should have ended.

No point in having weaker sections of the game if they're just there to lengthen playtime. I do not measure my euro's enjoyment out of hours.

Metro 2033 was short and sweet. I played it three times on a row, something i hadn't done in a while.

Less is more

Well if your are just shooting zombies I see how things could get repetitive. With DXHR I'm not sure that will be the case. Hopefully you will be able to experience more than just one play style on one playthrough since it is supposed to be a fairly long game.

I'm sure with the variation of enemy abilites and Jensen's abilities, the game will allow alot of customization and freedom to not only fight enemies but how you move throughout the eviroment as well so.

A game can be to short as well. When I played MGS4 all I was thinking was I wish the gameplay was longer in certain areas. Really not enough a game to experience it all the moves and takedowns and stealth gameplay.

But you are right making a game longer just for the sake of being longer doesn't add anything to the enjoyment of the game.

Mobius32
17th Aug 2011, 05:42
I'm just pissed they cut Montreal, or most of it. I was really looking forward to seeing what my hometown would look like in a cyberpunk near-future

pringlepower
17th Aug 2011, 05:57
I'm just pissed they cut Montreal, or most of it. I was really looking forward to seeing what my hometown would look like in a cyberpunk near-future

I imagine the Habs would've been officially sponsored by Picus, and using their new augs would win the cup for a change.

Bloodwolf806
17th Aug 2011, 07:06
Is it just me or did the frame rate chug in places?

VectorM
17th Aug 2011, 07:36

Yeah, and you would have to wait 2 more years for the game to come out and by that time the game would look even WORSE than it does now.

The77s
17th Aug 2011, 07:41
"We know what happens when you take about 10 years to do a game though."

"Yea..."

GET IT UP YA', DUKE NUKEM FOREVER.

Ashpolt
17th Aug 2011, 08:22
Speculation and wrong.

And, that being the case, my apologies. There's a small subset of people on here though who will defend literally everything about this game, no matter how bad a decision - I've seen people defending always-connected DRM, defending not even having the option of lean keys, etc - and a statement like yours sounds very much like it fits with that attitude.

Games can be too long and wear out. Resident Evil 4 was such a case. I remember knowing it lasted about 20 hours, which was quite long for a RE game. When i played it, halfway through it should have ended.

Got to disagree with this: I loved RE4, and remember wanting more of it!

No point in having weaker sections of the game if they're just there to lengthen playtime.

Why are you immediately assuming that any "cut" content would have been weak / weaker sections of the game? I would expect that, had Montreal (or any other cut content) been left in, it would've been at the same standard as the rest of the game.

--

As a general response, not to Charadesmith in particular, though it fits: Don't get me wrong, if this content really was just cut for reasons of time and not wanting to have an everlasting dev cycle (DNF!) and as long as the story has been re-jigged to be complete without it (i.e. no gaping holes) then there's nothing wrong with that. But this really smells of cutting for DLC to me, and I guess we'll see when the (sadly, inevitable) DLC is announced.

ocstew
17th Aug 2011, 08:31
I don't mind if its DLC. The devs sure as hell didn't know that Deus Ex would receive all this praise and would surely of left it in if they thought it would make the game better.

IAS
17th Aug 2011, 08:49
I don't know, I think Charadesmith has a certain point.
The original DX felt extremely long to me during my first playthrough to the point where during the submarine base mission I was asking myself "When does it end?". I remember contemplating whether I should play through it again just because it was so long, I'm glad that eventually I've decided that I will. Of course now, after a couple of dozen more playthroughs I feel the games' length is just about right - not too long and not too short.

Fox89
17th Aug 2011, 09:42
Nope. 3 is what they originally announced (Detroit, Hengsha, Montreal - there may have been more, even, but those 3 were mentioned as definite) but they've cut Montreal down to simply an "extended mission," most likely just the Picus studio.

Aww... pretty disappointed at that. I would have always liked more hubs, but I thought "Well, 3 is enough." Less than 3 is kind of not enough. Really regret playing the leak now, I was happy to try it out thinking there were two more hub areas that would be new to me when I got the full game, but only one is a real shame. The price of impatience I suppose.

Heh. What a shame. :)

Charadesmith
17th Aug 2011, 10:14
Look, my point was simpler than it seems. In a game, you are basically doing the same thing over and over again. The way it doesn't feel repetitive depends on level design; you may be doing the same thing but not even notice it because it feels fresh. But there's only so much different design that you can pour into it.

To exemplify, when i said i found the originals later hours boring and repetitive it was because i was doing everything i had already done before but in levels that felt uninspired or with ideas that were already made earlier in the game. There was no point. I would have preferred to have it end and start playing again. At least then you're "perfecting" or playing around with you're already familiar with.

Games need pacing, IMO, just like movies. Movies can be awesome for 3 hours, other 3 hours movie can be a total drag and should have been cut to half. I think this also applies to games

Itkovian
17th Aug 2011, 12:16
I don't mind if its DLC. The devs sure as hell didn't know that Deus Ex would receive all this praise and would surely of left it in if they thought it would make the game better.

I doubt it: the concern was that it would take too long to complete, and that they already had a pretty hefty game anyway.

While in an ideal world they'd have finished it if they could do it in time, they ARE under a deadline after all. One that has been pushed back often enough already. There are cost/benefits to increasing the dev time, but eventually you reach a point where you need to release if you intend to make a profit. :)

Itkovian

DisaFear
17th Aug 2011, 12:36
Whaaat?? 2 city hubs? :(

thanos
17th Aug 2011, 22:01
There is much potential for Dlc here...........

subtlesnake
17th Aug 2011, 22:22
As a general response, not to Charadesmith in particular, though it fits: Don't get me wrong, if this content really was just cut for reasons of time and not wanting to have an everlasting dev cycle (DNF!) and as long as the story has been re-jigged to be complete without it (i.e. no gaping holes) then there's nothing wrong with that. But this really smells of cutting for DLC to me, and I guess we'll see when the (sadly, inevitable) DLC is announced.
Even if the cut content does appear as DLC - at some later point - it doesn't prove that it would have been possible to include that content within HR, without a substantial amount of extra work. The way I look it at, given the size of the game and the fact that even its 'reduced' form it far exceeded EM's original plans, it's inevitable that some content would be cut. It would be a waste for that content not to show up as DLC.

orlandoX
17th Aug 2011, 22:22
I would like to see a language DLC for consoles (on Xbox Live and PSN) for Europe, so that for example, we in Germany can play in English. I would even pay for it. :)

Me too! But why paying for something the Steam people get for free?

Zorvan
17th Aug 2011, 23:50
I don't really care about DLC. 90% of the crap companies call DLC is usually just a few extra weapons or a new set of armor.:p There's mods to have that crap. Unless there's a substantial story attached to the DLC and it's not a one hour piece of drivel for $10, I'll pass.

Me too! But why paying for something the Steam people get for free?

True enough. And I imagine if this really does turn out to be a problem, there will be plenty of people willing to upload their language packs for others to use.

thanos
18th Aug 2011, 01:30
Yes but not every one is willing or wants to use mods.

People send me chain e-mails claiming if I do this or that i`ll get free dlc CoD: BO maps,and I delete them.

Running the risk of getting a black mark or banned is not worth the effort.

Zorvan
18th Aug 2011, 01:39
Yes but not every one is willing or wants to use mods.

People send me chain e-mails claiming if I do this or that i`ll get free dlc CoD: BO maps,and I delete them.

Running the risk of getting a black mark or banned is not worth the effort.

Well, there's kind of a big difference between legitimate mods hosted by well respected sites such as Nexus and e-mail scams. lol

And I agree, people should not have to settle for mods to fix things publishers purposely borked. I was just presenting it as just about the only alternative if someone is determined to buy the game regardless of this problem if it happens.

thanos
18th Aug 2011, 01:43
Ah.

The emails come on my ps3 and claims to be from the group that supposedly hacked sony.

Zorvan
18th Aug 2011, 01:55
Ah.

The emails come on my ps3 and claims to be from the group that supposedly hacked sony.

Heh, yeah. Ignore anything you get on your PS3 messages, I learned that a long time ago.

thanos
18th Aug 2011, 01:59
I at times have to yell at the people on my friends list about it.

Geralt z Rivii
18th Aug 2011, 04:26
I would like to see Paris. Something like this :D:

alanschu
18th Aug 2011, 05:34
Why are you immediately assuming that any "cut" content would have been weak / weaker sections of the game? I would expect that, had Montreal (or any other cut content) been left in, it would've been at the same standard as the rest of the game.

--

As someone that works in game development, I implore people to appreciate that stuff that is cut from games is not cut specifically to monetize the game via DLC. 99.9% of the time it's because of time. Especially with today's games where art and content creation is a lot more complicated and way more expensive. Especially with a game like Deus Ex that tries to have additional versatility/variability built into it.

DLC as a mechanic does lend itself to "cut content" being readded for one simple reason: a lot of the work has already been done. If you're super lucky, in the case of like Shale for Dragon Age, a lot of the hooks are still in the base game to make the DLC content fit more seamlessly without extensive patching (which systems like the XBox have very restrictive patch size limitations).

People for the most part have their minds made up, and I don't expect to convince you or anyone else otherwise, but in my experiences (and I do work for a large AAA studio) stuff is not explicitly cut from games so that we can further monetize games to bleed more money out of people.

I personally would gladly pay for a DLC that added in the cut gameplay aspects and levels from the original Deus Ex. I think it's a better solution than just having all that work and content get flushed down the drain without game players getting any chance to experience it whatsoever.

MaceUk
18th Aug 2011, 10:55
I'm pretty sure the weapons and the Tong mission will be paid for DLC, for those that didn't get the special editions.

MaceUk
18th Aug 2011, 10:57

That's in'seine' :rasp:

guillaume.oudin
18th Aug 2011, 10:59

All I can say is WOW !! This artwork is incredible, who made it ? I just love the design and the general tone.

Ashpolt
18th Aug 2011, 11:59
Even if the cut content does appear as DLC - at some later point - it doesn't prove that it would have been possible to include that content within HR, without a substantial amount of extra work. The way I look it at, given the size of the game and the fact that even its 'reduced' form it far exceeded EM's original plans, it's inevitable that some content would be cut. It would be a waste for that content not to show up as DLC.

many words that I won't quote for space reasons

You're both right of course. Content can be cut for good reasons - i.e. time or even quality - and as long as it's handled properly, there's nothing wrong with it. Hell, even if it's reintroduced later as DLC, that's fine as long as it's handled properly. And by that I mean as long as the game I buy on release day for full RRP is, in itself, a full game: it's the full story of Deus Ex Human Revolution, with no gaping plot holes and no significant plot threads left dangling. The original Deus Ex may have cut the White House level, for instance, but it did so cleanly: any plot points that would've been revealed during that level were either deemed unimportant or shifted to other areas, with the result being that you could play through the game without ever knowing that there was originally planned to be a White House level. The story, after cuts, was complete.

The opposite is something like Assassin's Creed 2, where the game literally stops and says to you "We're skipping forwards a few years here," with a flimsy plot justification ("These memories are damaged!") and they then sold you those chapters of the game later. To get the full story of Assassin's Creed 2, you had to buy the DLC. Of course, Ubisoft are an absolutely awful company, so this should come as no surprise from them.

We won't know which way DXHR will go until we play it, of course. My guess is that it won't be anywhere near as blatant or terrible as AC2, but it won't be quite as clean as the material cut from the original DX either, there will still be "hooks" like in Dragon Age Origins (there's a Grey Wardens quest isn't essential to the main storyline, but an NPC still tells you about it in the main game, and you can't actually play it unless you buy the DLC.) What we do know from reviews is that there are some plot threads left hanging, but how significant they are remains to be seen. If it's a few minor side stories which are not essential to the main plot, then fine. If it's "Adam u stopped teh bomb but Namir haz escapped! Buy Deus Ex Human Revolution: Namir's Trail to track him to Montreal!" then it's not.

---

One post script, @subtlesnake: "the fact that even its 'reduced' form it far exceeded EM's original plans," - where are you getting this from? We know their original plans included at least 3 city hubs, the ability to stay non-augmented, augmentations having a visual impact on Adam and characters reacting accordingly, etc. DXHR may well still have a good amount of content - in fact, I think it's probable - but I've not seen anything to suggest that it "far exceeds" or even meets EM's original (very ambitious) plans.

Geralt z Rivii
18th Aug 2011, 12:34
Whaaat?? 2 city hubs? :(

I smell Montreal hub expansion :D.

All I can say is WOW !! This artwork is incredible, who made it ? I just love the design and the general tone.
I don't know the artist. It's from a french studio (DONTNOD Entertainment), they're developing their first game.
You can see more artworks here (http://www.dont-nod.com/category/projects/). :)

Hackbarth
18th Aug 2011, 14:21
OK, nice to hear for all PC-Gamers, that SE has "rethinked" its descission in region locking the PC-version of DE:HR. But what about those nasty BLES-Codes the PS3-Version has? I remember Fallout 3 when I imported the UK-version, bought a 10€ DLC and couldn't download it because my UK-Version had the wrong BLES-Code. So will there be different codes, and will I be able to unlock my preorder bonuses when I play the UK-version on my german PS3-account?

And what about DLCs? Will I be able to download them, or do you guys have enough money so you don't need the money of all those german people who imported the UK-version? ;)

To sum it up, are there different BLES-Codes in Europe or is there only one version?

Piflik
18th Aug 2011, 14:28
Get an UK PSN Account and download your DLC from there.

Hackbarth
18th Aug 2011, 14:49
Not possible because when you try to enter your VISA-details PSN wants to have a legit UK-Address. But if the adress differs from your VISA-Adress you cannot use your VISA-Card in the UK-store.

Piflik
18th Aug 2011, 15:01
Get a UK PSN card...

sonicsidewinder
18th Aug 2011, 15:08
Should've been a european hub city. I mean, you've got the east and west. are we to believe nothing is going on in the middle of the world map.

The EU mightve become a superpower or something. London would be cool.

imported_the_guy
18th Aug 2011, 15:08

Yes.

alanschu
18th Aug 2011, 17:01
there's a Grey Wardens quest isn't essential to the main storyline, but an NPC still tells you about it in the main game, and you can't actually play it unless you buy the DLC.

FTR This is not the right way to do things hahaha. Failed experiment IMO which had a lot of fan backlash.

The biggest handicap to reusing any cut content would probably be that they'd need to find a way to restructure the story content there, since it sounds like the story was restructured in original game to accommodate the cut.

Chat
18th Aug 2011, 17:28
I prefer longer games, obviously under the stipulation that they're not simply padded out. Portal wouldn't have been loved as much if they pumped it full of filler after all, it being short & sweet is part of it's appeal. On the other end of the spectrum, games like Mass Effect are great because of just how expansive everything is. HR I'm hoping is on the ME scale, and from what I had played from the beta, it certainly seems that way (just hoping the rest of the game holds up as well as the parts that I played before prying myself away).

As for DLC, as long as it's worthwhile, I've no problems with it. "Here's a couple of guns. $10 please!" I won't touch. Adding back in one of the cut hubs I'd happily buy, especially if it's integrated seamlessly back into the game. Adding a couple of missions, most likely would get it. To me that's what DLC is more for, actual expansions (or mini-expansions, depending on price) not CoD's "Here's a few maps. $15 thanks."

subtlesnake
18th Aug 2011, 18:04
One post script, @subtlesnake: "the fact that even its 'reduced' form it far exceeded EM's original plans," - where are you getting this from? We know their original plans included at least 3 city hubs, the ability to stay non-augmented, augmentations having a visual impact on Adam and characters reacting accordingly, etc. DXHR may well still have a good amount of content - in fact, I think it's probable - but I've not seen anything to suggest that it "far exceeds" or even meets EM's original (very ambitious) plans.
Well, I was speaking in terms of playtime. In the video, the interviewee mentions that they had originally intended the game to be 15 - 20 hours long, and ended up with something that was 30 - 35 hours long. You could claim that they produced exactly the amount of content they wanted to, and it just took players much longer to complete than expected. However, I imagine that the increased playtime still had further implications in terms of testing and balancing the game.

Zorvan
18th Aug 2011, 18:59
Not possible because when you try to enter your VISA-details PSN wants to have a legit UK-Address. But if the adress differs from your VISA-Adress you cannot use your VISA-Card in the UK-store.

After seeing the failure known as PSN security, if you're still willing to give them your credit card details, you're either really brave or really dumb. I won't judge which.

Sony gets a lot less money from me now, as I will never give them my cc details again and driving to the store just to get a PSN card is a pain in the butt unless I'm going there for something else first.

Last PS3 game I bought was L.A. Noire. Bought the DLC code from Gamestop instead of PSN.

thanos
18th Aug 2011, 19:04
Sony never has nor never will have any of my creditcard numbers, I merely buy the cards and imput a code.

But with Dlc they can flesh the game out a bit more.

Also I have spoken to 2309jay,He still has much power.

KingNL
18th Aug 2011, 20:49
Sony never has nor never will have any of my creditcard numbers, I merely buy the cards and imput a code.

Smart man

CoDEllite
18th Aug 2011, 22:14
After seeing the failure known as PSN security, if you're still willing to give them your credit card details, you're either really brave or really dumb. I won't judge which.

Sony gets a lot less money from me now, as I will never give them my cc details again and driving to the store just to get a PSN card is a pain in the butt unless I'm going there for something else first.

Last PS3 game I bought was L.A. Noire. Bought the DLC code from Gamestop instead of PSN.

Seriosly I hope Sony bombs big time after that security fiasco. What a bunch of noobs at Sony. But then with PSN u totally get what u pay for eh

Solid_1723
18th Aug 2011, 22:46
Seriosly I hope Sony bombs big time after that security fiasco. What a bunch of noobs at Sony. But then with PSN u totally get what u pay for eh

Thank god I pay nothing for it. All I want is to play some multiplayer once or twice in a month.
With XboxLive I was paying for services I never wanted to use. I canceled my subscription the moment I got my PS3.

thanos
18th Aug 2011, 22:58
Ps3 holds the monopoly on the free multi-player market,and their menu is a lot easyer to use than the current 360 menu.

It does have its drawbacks too,but I aknowledge those drawbacks,so I cant be called a hardcore by certain people lacking in certain area's............

Zorvan
18th Aug 2011, 23:49

Xbox live was hacked before also, so paying money for the service has nothing to do with it. The coders at Sony were just lazy bastiches and took every shortcut they could to just get it online and be done with it.

RKB287
19th Aug 2011, 00:15
Maybe this is me but in the interviews that I saw, they talked about having big plans for the game, for more city hubs and a lot more, but the overly ambicious( in a sense of not being able to deliver the game in a timely deadline) plans were scraped early in development, so I don´t think that they have a crapload of city hubs just waiting for dlc plans.

My guess is that we are probably going to get some equipment dlc( like the tactical and explosive packs that come with pre-orders and the special editions), and probably some missions, independent from the storyline. Sidequests like the Tong mission that comes with the Augmented version.

Basically I expect dlc similar to the one of Mass Effect 2. Some equipment packs, and stand-alone missions.

Cri du chat
19th Aug 2011, 04:18
As long as the game doesn’t seem empty without it or this becomes another New Vegas and I can’t finish the game without THAT FINAL EXTRA PIECE OF STORY I’ll probably buy it sooner or later. I just don’t know enough about HR to think of anything that needs to be added in. Any developers or programmers want to chime in with parts they think should be put back into the game?

thanos
19th Aug 2011, 04:25
As long as any dlc isnt pontentialy a pain in the butt like the first Dlc for FO:NV i'm happy.

Cronstintein
19th Aug 2011, 06:10
Wow only 2 hubs is a bit of a bummer. I had it in my mind that there were 3 or 4. Having played the leak I've now played half the game... sad panda. The battle missions are still pretty good but the hubs are the best DX has to offer imho.

DXeXodus
19th Aug 2011, 06:24
Having played the leak I've now played half the game... sad panda.

With all due respect you have no one to blame for that except yourself :rasp:

Cerulean Shaman
19th Aug 2011, 06:25
Wow only 2 hubs is a bit of a bummer. I had it in my mind that there were 3 or 4. Having played the leak I've now played half the game... sad panda. The battle missions are still pretty good but the hubs are the best DX has to offer imho.

Actually, supposedly a third of the game.

Zorvan
19th Aug 2011, 06:57
One of the latest video shows at least 3 hubs: Montreal, Detroit, and China. That video barely came out 2 weeks ago. So if there's now only two hubs, when was this decided and exactly why are they being misleading with their videos?

http://www.vg247.com/2011/08/03/deus-ex-human-revolution-video-outs-classified-information/

DXeXodus
19th Aug 2011, 07:20
My understanding of it all is that the Montreal portion is only a very short piece in this game. I stand to be corrected though.

SysOpPsyche
22nd Aug 2011, 01:00
Well personally I am hoping for expansions and DLC for Deus Ex based on what I've played of the leaked preview (pre-purchased and not able to cancel so no issues downloading and playing a 'press' release, pfft wish I could get free stuff like that).

A few I'd like to see:

Can't really tell about whether playing Adam Jenson beyond the end would be possible or not but if it is. Maybe a more Open World post-ending expansion (basically freelancing or something similar that alters the hub environments based on current divisions of power in the area which could be altered by doing dynamic missions [not good for story basically just template missions populated according to the type of objective with some optional side objectives thrown into or connected to the base map and populated by a certain 'faction'/corp). With a more functional apartment (storage, mission computer etc.) and maybe dynamic opportunities to go on missions without a contract/objective/etc. based on the current news/lead/hints available.
A DLC that expands/overwrites the hacking game (I personally like that mini-game the least because I end up doing it so much and even with maxxed implants it always seems to boil down to a race against the trace - little or no abilities to diversify approach to playing that mini-game which a stark contrast to the rest of the game for the most part). Basically switching to a more traditional cyperpunk/shadowrun hacking game (ie. a cranial cyberdeck which is what the implants would comprise (Attack, Fortify, Stealth, Analyse) with upgradeable warez/software [the implants represent the hardware but the software represent the actual tool/command/weapon possibly with variants for more diversity/personalisation - ie. hardware=stats/base performance software=skill/interaction effect etc.] with the ability when present by attacking the uplink/trace source to jump to other grids/maps/machines/networks/etc. As well as alter the Nuke and Worm programs (I hated that they were consumables and still can't figure out why - I can understand limited use per hack but consumable...) where Nuke does what it does but also lowers Attack by 1 for the current hack and Worm does what it currently does but is a per hack limit that essentially traps a node and fires when the trace hits it as well as impair Fortify by 1 for each deployed Worm. Lastly increase Analyse/Stealth and Fortify to have 5 levels instead of current - hacking is already a point sink so at least it could be versatile in style/effect (analyse would probrably affect Download rates/boosting rewards or travel rates/movement speed per se).
Expansions about other people in that time period that have been 'augmented' whether by choice or consequence with their own stories/challenges [though not as grand as Adam Jensons and the Dentons] with possibly tie-ins with the base Deus Ex story. Hopefully also presenting 'Augmentations' that are different more expansive than whats present in Human Revolution - their not bad just seems like a certain flavor/style and the Mercs obviously have different styles/augmentations - a chance to play those 'other' styles or even less extensive styles {Dutchman}.

Am kind of dissappointed by the weapons though so seeing Weapon DLC's, small ones, would be welcome. Don't get me wrong - the weapons are very nice but I just couldn't really find/make a weapon that suited me (kind of went with the pistol for lack of better) since I generally look for silenced semi-auto rifles/short-burst rifles - an the single shot preorder sniper just annoys me with the constant reloading and ammo rarity and the inability to silence the non-pre order sniper rifle [silencing is pretty much critical because Sight ranges don't really allow actual long range shots without aggroing the whole area which is lethal even on regular but personally I'll take that over sight distance limits destroying the immersion with things like stuff fading into view/fog/etc.]. The assault rifle is nice but too inaccurate for my tastes due the automatic firing. I'll mention it be nice if the sniper rifles could use the lead indicator upgrade thats used with the crossbow and tranq rifle as well and suggest Not having to activate it everytime you reload which honestly stinks with a single shot per reload weapon. All and all I could definately see myself just collecting every weapon and trying to upgrade all of them if there was display case or some-such in the apartment (kind of like a trophy shelf) since I probably wouldn't use most of the them. Hmmm, probably should also mention the shotguns either needs less spread or more damage (doesn't seem to do squat in the leaked preview at stun gun ranges - see *edit below). Carrying stuff around doesn't work - inventory space is limited and a number of those weapons take tons of room [thats with a fully upgraded inventory as well - one of the mechanics that I just didn't like - carrying around a non-lethal weapon because your melee attack costs an absorbent amount of energy to use even though you can carry and Throw a garbage dumpster/refrigerator for a fraction of that cost]

Question: is Y on the gamepad (no clue about the keyboard mapping) going to actually do anything outside of menus like change ammo types or something [besides holster the weapon] and will it be possible to remap gamepad controls button by button? like have tap and hold for each button etc.

All and all very nice game and resurrection of Deus Ex series (hopefully)

[edit: BTW I'm specifically referring to firing blind around corner from cover (the aim spread might be affecting shot spread) using the standard shotgun with burst mod - I really got in the habit of shooting blind around corners from cover after trying Deus Ex difficulty(Hard) and getting headshot repeatedly from enemies I emptied half an assault rifle clip into the upper torso/head region of whom with them turning around and dropping me with a 3 round burst while I was popped out from cover to actually aim and then have to reload last autosave repeatedly - I got sick of that before getting thru the prologue mission honestly - shame too, I love the AI's behavior on Hard difficulty just not the increased health and accuracy.]

ZIGS
22nd Aug 2011, 01:35
ATM DLC

nesmoth
22nd Aug 2011, 02:58
guys, do you remember the novel Neuromancer? I hope the devs take the resources from the game and make an adaption of the novel, that would be awesome, I only saw once the game from interplay, and this novel deserve to be resurrected!

Mosillivo
22nd Aug 2011, 06:44
I wish people would value their money more often. Lets just say that the game has 50 hours of game play at $50 pricing... in comparison $5 should offer 5 hours more; yet if they're reusing content you would expect a discount, right? Unfortunately people see the small price and suddenly jump on the bandwagon. $10 for 5 additional hours of gameplay, YES!!!

I understand that DLC helps recover any lost income, or generate more to start a new game... but people practically throw their money away at it, and it's getting to the point where the DLC might actually generate more income than the game itself... yet not be nearly as cost effective (for the gamer) as buying a new game. [Though, with PC Piracy as it is... DLC is more likely to be illegally downloaded (smaller file sizes mean easier access and less moral burdens)].

Eitherway, the problem with DLC is that it's too successful a scam XD. People are more willing to part with small individual payments than a single bulk payment, even if they lose out in the end by not paying in bulk. I have no problem when the content gained / price matches that of the original game... but if people are willing to pay more for less, why would a company offer to let them pay less?

SysOpPsyche
22nd Aug 2011, 22:27
guys, do you remember the novel Neuromancer? I hope the devs take the resources from the game and make an adaption of the novel, that would be awesome, I only saw once the game from interplay, and this novel deserve to be resurrected!

Actually the hacking mini-game (and Cyberpunk/Shadowrun hacking gameplay) are all based off of Neuromancer. Neuromancer is essentially the grand-daddy of most Cyber-punk stuff (Matrix, Augmentations [though in Neuromancer it was centered around Brain Implants/Mind Software and most other implants/prosthetics were inferior to natural parts], most Hacking games, etc at least in the Cognitive Brain Implants and 'Cyber-Hacking' aspects but I'm fairly positive that novel was the first presentation of the Cyber-Punk setting [near future, kind of dark and twisted yet innovative and revolutionary also and prediction of how technology would change the 'world' in both good and bad ways like organ harvesting/theft, foreclosures/repossession of a persons body (parts or in whole), prisons of the mind etc.].

Facebyface
22nd Aug 2011, 23:02
SDK for me

For the love of Deus... C'mon Edios Montreal! There is absolutely no reason to not be giving this to us. It will extend the game's shelf life for years.