PDA

View Full Version : Region Locks (see 1st post for summary of Q&As): Official - No lock for UK/EUR/US/AUS

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

nonprofitkilla
16th Aug 2011, 02:09
Region-locking plan UPDATE
We’re aware of some discussion regarding the planned region-locking of boxed PC versions of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and after careful review we have decided not to implement this in the UK/Europe/US/AUS. Please note, this plan only related to PC boxed games, and not digital or console editions.

Just to clarify, this is for anywhere in Europe.
PC versions from UK will work in US and vice versa.

__
http://support.eu.square-enix.com/faqarticle.php?kid=59795&ret=main&id=2134&la=2&pv=20&SQEXSC=7qllfsuh1m4mt4363djgb80jn3

The PC version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution is region-locked.
Please be sure to purchase a copy from your own region, otherwise you might not be able to register the game.
If you should not be able to register your copy due to a region conflict, please return the game to your retailer. Square Enix cannot offer assistance in replacing incompatible registration codes.

So what does this mean from people who got it from GMG and live in US/Canada?

___

*Moderator Edit* / Further info/updates

18 August

Region-locking plan UPDATE
We’re aware of some discussion regarding the planned region-locking of boxed PC versions of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and after careful review we have decided not to implement this in the UK. Please note, this plan only related to PC boxed games, and not digital or console editions.

Just to clarify, this is for anywhere in europe.
PC versions from UK will work in US and vice versa.

Update on Region Lock
Please note: It was reported that Deus Ex on PC is region-locked to the UK only. Square Enix has confirmed that this is not the case. If you are ordering from outside of the UK, you will be able to play this on your PC.

__

Just a reminder for those just joining in, only the BOXED RETAIL copies are region locked. If you have pre-ordered a digital version, your key will be region free.

http://greenmangaming.zendesk.com/entries/20370806-deus-ex-human-revolution-steam-key-region-locking

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Steam Key Region Locking

martinsnelling Aug-17

We have spoken to the publisher regarding their recent announcement that Deus Ex: Human Revolution would be region locked and they have confirmed to us that your Steam key will work regardless of what region/country you are in.

We have requested keys from the publisher and when we receive them, we will add one to your account.

You will be able to view your key by logging on to the Green Man Gaming Website, and viewing the download page for the game. This can be found under 'your games'.

http://forums.greenmangaming.com/topic/434/?page=2

RobertClarke
Staff

They still work everywhere.

They will continue to work everywhere, and we have 100% confirmation from the publisher from this.

There was a while yesterday when we were told there would be lots of different versions but the publisher emailed us last night to confirm this would not be the case!

Some misinformation happening, making those who have bought the game confused and worried unnecessarily? Many users are totally unaffected by this in any way shape or form. Those who have bought the UK box copy from outside the UK should be aware of region locks, as some online activated games get region locked. The Preorders thread Q&A's discussed this issue a while back and advised people to check before purchase.

Q: Is this game doing one of the region locks? If I buy the U.K. version will I be able to play it on my USA xbox360?
A: Whether to lock the game or not is still up to publisher. For the 360 and Wii, region locks on these platforms have been used more frequently. PLEASE make the relevant enquiries to avoid disappointment.

Please note this affects PC BOXED RETAIL only. The region locking exists because they couldn't get all languages onto the DVD.

Just to be clear to everyone the region lock is just for the retail BOX copies.. ie if you physically buy a box in the UK it will have the uk region code etc, if you buy a boxed copy in russia will be locked to russia, everywhere else is covered by a rest of world region (including poland).

Due to disc size limitations, the languages had to be split onto different masters (PCs dont have universal bluray drives yet so we couldnt put all on 1 disc this is why there is so much confusion)

Also all versions have ALL languages available. So even if you buy the English UK version, you can change the language to French, German etc whenever you want.. The size of the game meant we couldnt fit all languages onto the disc so you will just download the language pack for the game that is all..

All this is really due to the languages having to be split onto the discs for retail.. Its meant people have confused the region and languages available to just those on the disc etc..

Also the region locks in place are just on activation.. if you buy in the uk a boxed copy and activate in the uk and then go to germany or another country it will still work..

Digital copies are not region locked as far as i am aware. Any region checks have been long standing there etc.. ie credit card region so isnt new for Deus

If you buy from amazon.co.uk they are selling uk product so as a box is the uk version.. amazon.de will sell the german disc etc..

FYI the disc splits are as follows - We couldnt fit more languages per disc.

English on own (being sold in the UK)
English / French (being sold in the US i believe)
French / German
Italian / Spanish
Polish / Russian

Again to be clear, only the russian and UK (english) steam codes for box copies are region locked, and ALL languages are available to ALL users once activated (may require language pack download if language is not on the disc version purchased)

All languages are available to all activated players. You will need download the files for any language that's not on your disc. Steam handles this for you automatically when you change the language.

Q: I bought a RETAIL copy IN UK but I live OUTSIDE UK. Will I be able to ACTIVATE the game or not?
A: No. Can only activate the UK boxed copy in UK (includes Isle of man etc)

Q: If I buy a boxed UK copy and activate it in the UK, will I be able to play it in other regions?
A: That's a most definitive yes.

Green Man Gaming staff member says their keys are not going to be region locked

http://forums.greenmangaming.com/topic/434/

I emailed square and this is how the regions and the various versions that are being released work together.

Languages - English
Release Region - UK Only
Steam Account Region - UK Only

Languages - English / French
Release Region - Outside of UK
Steam Account Region - EU, but NOT UK, Russia

Languages - FIGS* (2 versions here, FG and IS)
Steam Account Region - EU, but NOT UK, Russia

Languages - RP**
Release Region - Russia/Poland (both on same disc but only russian is region locked)
Steam Account Region - Russia with russian codes/Poland

* French, Italian, German, Spanish
** Russian, Polish

___

Please also be aware of Steam's Licence Agreement:

You are entitled to use the Software for your own use, but you are not entitled to: (i) sell, grant a security interest in or transfer reproductions of the Software to other parties in any way, nor to rent, lease or license the Software to others without the prior written consent of Valve; (ii) host or provide matchmaking services for the Software or emulate or redirect the communication protocols used by Valve in any network feature of the Software, through protocol emulation, tunneling, modifying or adding components to the Software, use of a utility program or any other techniques now known or hereafter developed, for any purpose including, but not limited to network play over the Internet, network play utilizing commercial or non-commercial gaming networks or as part of content aggregation networks, without the prior written consent of Valve; or (iii) exploit the Software or any of its parts for any commercial purpose.

TSFroggy
16th Aug 2011, 02:19
Yes, I also bought my code from Green Man Gaming. Would like to know what's up with this.

nonprofitkilla
16th Aug 2011, 02:22
I am worried now. I swear if I can't get what I paid for because of a stupid decision on Eidos's part.

I mean, why even bother with Region Locking on a PC game?

TSFroggy
16th Aug 2011, 02:42
I put in a support request to Green Man Gaming. I cited the link in my support request. You should do the same if you bought your key from GMG so that you keep them on their toes.

nonprofitkilla
16th Aug 2011, 02:55
I already sent in a support ticket. My guess is they will be getting a lot of them

thanos
16th Aug 2011, 03:51
FO:NV had that issue,people were buying Dlc and it wasnt showing up because of a blu code or so on.

Brockxz
16th Aug 2011, 06:07
OK, now I am worried. There is no mean to buy this game in my country so we buy games from UK mostly. Now the question is, region lock means Europa, North America etc or it means every different country (like it is on xbox etc)?

TheYouthCounselor
16th Aug 2011, 07:20
Oh hell, I'm in California and I just pre-ordered on Shopto.net, a UK based website.

Why do you hate America Eidos Montreal?

First you split up the pre-order exclusives in this region so that we can't get all of them locally. Then you release no news about whether there will be region locking or the ability to receive or purchase the extras outside of the pre-order. Now you announce this days before the game ships, when I already have pre-ordered from Europe.

Crashman
16th Aug 2011, 07:30
So I live in Australia and ordered off of greenmangaming. UK is in the PAL region and so is Australia. Will I be fine?

nutcrackr
16th Aug 2011, 07:43
So I live in Australia and ordered off of greenmangaming. UK is in the PAL region and so is Australia. Will I be fine?
Unfortunately the PAL / NTSC formats have nothing to do with this type of regional restriction. That doesn't mean you won't be able to play just that it doesn't help the situation.

I have recently seen GMG change it's release date from 26th back to 23rd (US) and back to 26th again. My guess is that they now know that it's regionally locked. This is rather distressing and will absolutely kill Green Man Gaming if they end up selling thousands of copies to people who can't activate them on steam. Not completely their fault but there will be much bad feedback.

Maybe somebody in UK is going to end up getting my copy. Pretty sad to have a game regionally locked on PC. SC2 didn't allow you to play with other regions but you can at least play a game you bought anywhere.

tZer
16th Aug 2011, 07:44
OK, now I am worried. There is no mean to buy this game in my country so we buy games from UK mostly. Now the question is, region lock means Europa, North America etc or it means every different country (like it is on xbox etc)?

I have to wonder about this too, as I ordered from the UK and am from Austria, but it's probably only about PAL/NTSC. And no, the decision isn't "stupid" on Eidos' part, it prevents people to get their best deal and instead forces them to pay more in their own region.
Same reasons we also got DVD and console regions if you want to look those up.

Solid_1723
16th Aug 2011, 07:55

That's what I need to know as well!
I certainly won't change my preorder from Amazon UK in any case. I'll play the version I ordered with or without steam...:hmm:

Random
16th Aug 2011, 07:58
Pressure from regional distributors maybe. In Australia a new game from EB or the like costs about $100. Even though our dollar is stronger than the US dollar right now. We're expected to pay twice as much for the same product. It's disgraceful, and no wonder more and more people are importing games.

I'm glad I preordered my copy on Steam ages ago for $45 (before the price increase).

nutcrackr
16th Aug 2011, 10:18

Zorvan
16th Aug 2011, 10:48

Yep, just came from there. I was a bit frantic for a bit. Heheh.

DXHR for $34 was a great deal I just couldn't pass up.

Kodaemon
16th Aug 2011, 10:54
Yay for Steam! Bringing all the console bull**** to PC!

Kivan
16th Aug 2011, 10:55
I emailed square and this is how the regions and the various versions that are being released work together.

Languages - English
Release Region - UK Only
Steam Account Region - UK Only

Languages - English
Steam Account Region - EU, but NOT UK, Russia or Poland

Languages - FIGS*

Languages - RP**
Release Region - Russia/Poland
Steam Account Region - Russia/Poland Only

* French, Italian, German, Spanish
** Russian, Polish

tZer
16th Aug 2011, 11:31
It will be simple enough, if I can't activate my copy from the UK through Steam, I'll have to play the game without Steam, simple as that.

Charadesmith
16th Aug 2011, 11:35
My god the amount of bs going on around here

First of all if you buy digital there are no regional restrictions

Second, EM doesn't hate America cause you're the first ones that get the game, despite the fact that the developers of the PC version are european and the original devs aren't even american but canadian. Stop whining.

Kodaemon
16th Aug 2011, 11:39
My god the amount of bs going on around here

First of all if you buy digital there are no regional restrictions

BZZZZZZT WRONG

The only way the PC version can even be region locked is because it uses ******* Steam. PC software has never traditionally been sold on region-locked discs (like, say, console games or movies).

Charadesmith
16th Aug 2011, 11:43
No, i'm not wrong. You can buy digitally wherever you want from wherever you want. The region locking "works" only after you activate the game, in the sense that you get the version of the game for that region on Steam after activating, which is supposed to be the same save language differences and possibly censoring issues.

Gemuesepizza
16th Aug 2011, 11:45
So let me get this straight:

First, you don't give us the possibility to play the game in English if we like (the first two parts of the series have been English only).

Then you are purposely restricting the language to the different regions - even on PC, so that we can't import the game?

What in god's name is the reason? Why don't you listen to your customers, to your fans? Why???

Kivan
16th Aug 2011, 11:45
BZZZZZZT WRONG

The only way the PC version can even be region locked is because it uses ******* Steam. PC software has never traditionally been sold on region-locked discs (like, say, console games or movies).

I tried to tell my Baldur's Gate Tales of the Sword Coast disk that but it still continues to say " This version will only run in the United States and Canada" Thank god for Tutu is all I got to say.

Dr_Bob
16th Aug 2011, 11:49
So let me get this straight:

First, you don't give us the possibility to play the game in English if we like (the first two parts of the series have been English only).

Then you are purposely restricting the language to the different regions - even on PC, so that we can't import the game?

What in god's name is the reason? Why don't you listen to your customers, to your fans? Why???

If you're getting it on PC, you can change the language on Steam and download the language pack you desire.

Stop acting like a drama queen.

Gemuesepizza
16th Aug 2011, 11:51
If you're getting it on PC, you can change the language on Steam and download the language pack you desire.

Stop acting like a drama queen.

I don't know, maybe there is an issue with your ability to read? Or why don't you understand what's written here:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1649303&postcount=17

Charadesmith
16th Aug 2011, 11:54
Those are "extra languages". English language is ALWAYS there, of course. *facepalm*

It is that way so that english people don't have to download the extra language files because they don't need it, hence it shows english. For the others, there is english because it always comes with the game AND the rest indicated there.

Common sense.

Dr_Bob
16th Aug 2011, 11:57
I don't know, maybe there is an issue with your ability to read? Or why don't you understand what's written here:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1649303&postcount=17

I can read just fine.

If you would like to switch the language of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, please follow the steps for your platform below.

PC:
1) Open the Library in Steam
2) Right click on Deus Ex: Human Revolution and select Properties
3) Select the tab Language and select your preferred language

*Please note that changing the language will cause Steam to download additional files.

PS3:
To change the language of the PS3 version, please change your PS3 system language.
Please note that you may only select additional languages in accordance with the version you have.
The following versions are available:
1) English only
2) French / Italian / German / Spanish
3) Russian / Polish

Xbox 360:
Due to space limitations, Xbox 360 versions do not contain additional languages.

http://support.eu.square-enix.com/faqarticle.php?kid=59794&ret=main&id=2134&la=2

Gemuesepizza
16th Aug 2011, 12:02
Are you serious? The post clearly states WHAT languages will be available WHERE. And it says: Germany -> Only French, Italian, German, Spanish. UK version can NOT be activated in Germany. It also says that there will be a EU version with English, but without French, Italian, German, Spanish and not in Germany or the UK. That means I would have to search a store which sells this exact version. And NO I can NOT buy this in the German steam store. If you look at the post above you can cleary read "Steam Account Region".

Note: It says

Languages - English

Languages - FIGS*

NOT THIS:

Languages - FIGS and English

Conclusion: These are TWO DIFFERENT versions.

Sugioh
16th Aug 2011, 12:03
I registered on these forums simply so I could comment on this.

Given that it is literally impossible to get both preorder bonuses from retailers in the US, I find it astounding that SE and Eidos would restrict activations from regions that are similarly afluent (there's no real price variation). I understand restricting keys from India, China, Russia, and SE Asia, but why European ones? It makes no sense.

Hell, they were going to make even more money from me, since I was going to the trouble of importing the Augmented edition for such bonuses.

That's great customer service right there. Sigh.

Charadesmith
16th Aug 2011, 12:04
Are YOU serious?.. You can buy whatever you want, activate on steam, then download any additional languages you may want. Period.

Gemuesepizza
16th Aug 2011, 12:05
Are YOU serious?.. You can buy whatever you want, activate on steam, then download any additional languages you may want. Period.

According to this eMail: No. Read my post.

Kivan
16th Aug 2011, 12:08
According to this eMail: No. Read my post.

The email just states what languages are on the disk. You can download the other languages that is not on the disk via steam.

Gemuesepizza
16th Aug 2011, 12:09
The email just states what languages are on the disk. You can download the other languages that is not on the disk via steam.

No, it's about Steam KEYS. Why would they write "Steam account region" if it's about disks?

Sugioh
16th Aug 2011, 12:12
I'm glad that it's possible to play the game in any language (the Japanese dub in particular has a lot of top tier actors and should be great for a second playthrough), but it still makes me sad that the region locks are screwing over those of us in North America. :/

Incidentally steam account region refers to the IP ranges in which you can register and play the game with that cd key and nothing else. Don't read too much into it.

Charadesmith
16th Aug 2011, 12:12
My god you are stubborn. Because each time you activate a game on steam your version gets "labeled" as the region you are in and downloads or installs the files accordingly. After that you do what i said

Gemuesepizza
16th Aug 2011, 12:18
My god you are stubborn. Because each time you activate a game on steam your version gets "labeled" as the region you are in and downloads or installs the files accordingly. After that you do what i said

You mean if I activate the German version on steam, it will download French / Italian / German / Spanish at the same time? This does not make any sense.

Or do you mean If I activate the German version on steam in Germany, it will only download German? Then why does this eMail say, there a two different versions, if there are no different versions at all? This does not make any sense.

My explanation with the steam keys is perfectly logical. As I said:

Languages - English

Languages - FIGS*

NOT THIS:

Charadesmith
16th Aug 2011, 12:22
Those are not 2 different versions, because the release region and the steam account region is the same. What it means is that you can choose ON STEAM to either have English only or add the FIGS languages.

Kivan
16th Aug 2011, 12:24
You mean if I activate the German version on steam, it will download French / Italian / German / Spanish at the same time? This does not make any sense.

Or do you mean If I activate the German version on steam in Germany, it will only download German? Then why does this eMail say, there a two different versions, if there are no different versions at all? This does not make any sense.

My explanation with the steam keys is perfectly logical.

We are talking retail here, you buy your game, go home and insert the disk. You load up steam and then input your key, assuming the key matches the game will then be installed from the disk including the language options available for that version. Which version you brought determines whether english will be the only language installed or if it's the other languages. If you need any language that was not on your retail disk you can then have steam download them. Two versions are offered as not everyone needs english so there is a second version covering other main languages allowing people to choose the version that best suites them.

Gemuesepizza
16th Aug 2011, 12:28
Those are not 2 different versions, because the release region and the steam account region is the same. What it means is that you can choose ON STEAM to either have English only or add the FIGS languages.

I am almost sure you are trolling.

Then why are there 2 different entries? The bold text is different, but not the italic text:

Languages - English

Languages - FIGS*

Question: Why don't they write this:

Answer: Because these are two different versions.

Solid_1723
16th Aug 2011, 12:37
@Charadesmith

I have not much experience using steam. Are you 100% sure that I can download the english language files via steam after installing a german retail version?

If so, I'd cancel my UK preorder which I would have to crack in order to activate and get a german one.

Charadesmith
16th Aug 2011, 12:39
You do realize that the header for the different sections is the language right? That doesn't tell you anything? If not i'm done arguing because you need a cup of coffee or something.

Solid, yes, because:

Languages - English

That inclues Germany, therefore it should be. However, Germany is always a particular case (although usually for censorship purposes, not language), sadly for you germans, so it's best that you contact steam support directly or ask in the steam forums, there are a few german steam users there with experience in that matter.

Gemuesepizza
16th Aug 2011, 12:44
You do realize that the header for the different sections is the language right? That doesn't tell you anything? If not i'm done arguing because you need a cup of coffee or something.

This does not make any sense. There are 4 Entries (compare it: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1649303&postcount=17 ):

A

B

C

D

Version A and D can only be activated in their respective countries. Version B and C are for the rest of the EU. And the text cleary states, that they can not be activated in the regions of A and D. The text from B and C is, apart from the language, the same. Then why are there four entries? Why not just three? If it would be like you said, there would only be three entries.

Solid, yes, because:

Languages - English

That inclues Germany, therefore it should be. However, Germany is always a particular case (although usually for censorship purposes, not language), sadly for you germans, so it's best that you contact steam support directly or ask in the steam forums, there are a few german steam users there with experience in that matter.

In my opinion, this means that there is a English version for countries like sweden, which can be activated in other parts of Europe, but will not be available to buy in Germany.

Kivan
16th Aug 2011, 12:46
Then why are there four entries? Why not just three? If it would be like you said, there would only be three entries.

Did you even read my previous post?

@Solid1723

You shouldn't have to download any additional files. As it's been pointed out in this thread there are two versions for Europe, one with german/french/spanish and italian and another with just english. It's just a matter of finding the English only version.

The77s
16th Aug 2011, 12:48
Glad I ordered from my own Country, seems to be a lot of worrying going on in here.

Gemuesepizza
16th Aug 2011, 12:48
Did you even read my previous post?

Did you even read post #36?

Salah-ad Din
16th Aug 2011, 12:49
Thank you Square Enix / Eidos. The perfect chaos. People are now totally confused. Brilliant idea. :mad2:

funkRush
16th Aug 2011, 12:50
The version is for people who only need the english language and not the "FIGS"-language pack.

For example a Dane doesnt need the French, Italian, German or Spanish languagepack but just the English one.

Therefore it is a EU-Version of the game with JUST the English language on the disk.

Gemuesepizza
16th Aug 2011, 12:51
A German doesnt need the French, Italian or Spanish languagepack. So? And why does the text say "steam account" if it's only about discs?

Charadesmith
16th Aug 2011, 12:52
Dude, what that mail means is that

English is available in: UK and EU except Russia and Poland

FIGS: EU but not russia or poland

RP: Russia and poland

As for
Languages - English
this part, it probably means that there are text differences in the EU english and the UK english; possibly we get american spelling while people in UK get english spelling.

Gemuesepizza
16th Aug 2011, 12:54
this part, it probably means that there are text differences in the EU english and the UK english; possibly we get american spelling while people in UK get english spelling.

Oh yeah sure.

Seriously?

Charadesmith
16th Aug 2011, 12:56
Yes, seriously.

raz3r
16th Aug 2011, 13:01
I live in Italy so my version will be FIGS, my question is, can I download english language from Steam even if it is not listed in FIGS?

Kivan
16th Aug 2011, 13:03
Yes I did, lets address it again

"You mean if I activate the German version on steam, it will download French / Italian / German / Spanish at the same time? This does not make any sense."

If you activate it the German version on steam *it will not download anything*. If you brought the English only version from Germany it will only install the english langauge onto your computer *as that is the only language on the disk*. If you want another language you can have steam download it. If you brought the other version in Germany it will install the other four languages *as those are the languages on the disk*, if you then want english then you have to have steam download it.

"Or do you mean If I activate the German version on steam in Germany, it will only download German? Then why does this eMail say, there a two different versions, if there are no different versions at all? This does not make any sense."

Once again it will not download anything. It will install the languages off the disk based on which version you brought. if it was the English only version can you guess what language will be installed onto your computer? What do you think will be installed if you brought the other version, the one with german/french/italian and spanish, if you guessed all four then you would be correct. and once again if you need any language that was not available on the disk then you can have steam download it. The purpose for the two versions is to allow people to choose the best option for them and save them having to download anything at all.

Dr_Bob
16th Aug 2011, 13:13
Are you serious? The post clearly states WHAT languages will be available WHERE. And it says: Germany -> Only French, Italian, German, Spanish. UK version can NOT be activated in Germany. It also says that there will be a EU version with English, but without French, Italian, German, Spanish and not in Germany or the UK. That means I would have to search a store which sells this exact version. And NO I can NOT buy this in the German steam store. If you look at the post above you can cleary read "Steam Account Region".

Languages - English

Languages - FIGS*

NOT THIS:

Are you dim?

I appreciate how others have tried to convince you but, unfortunately for them, you are failing to understand the basic concept of changing your game language within Steam, which causes you to download additional language files.

http://i.imgur.com/QOXkF.png

Keep looking at the image until you figure it out.

I'll give you a hint to get you started: You can change your game's language in Steam.

Gemuesepizza
16th Aug 2011, 13:38
Are YOU dim? There ARE games on steam where you can't change language. For example Call of Duty.

uberajnn
16th Aug 2011, 13:39
So I can't order a UK version, I need the EU version for smaller european countries? Whaaat?

raz3r
16th Aug 2011, 13:42
Are YOU dim? There ARE games on steam where you can't change language. For example Call of Duty.
Actually I can...

http://i.imgur.com/WFdNl.jpg

Salah-ad Din
16th Aug 2011, 13:42
Guys, guys...please! I think we can all agree who's dim: Eidos and Square Enix, throwing yet another stick between our legs...:rolleyes:

Gemuesepizza
16th Aug 2011, 13:45
Actually I can...

Because you don't bought your version in Germany. There are TWO German versions, one for Austria and Switzerland (=normal European version), and one for Germany. You can't change the language of the version from Germany.

Charadesmith
16th Aug 2011, 13:45
"So I can't order a UK version, I need the EU version for smaller european countries? Whaaat? "

http://www.gifsforum.com/images/image/not%20sure%20if%20serious/grand/not_sure_if_serious_8.jpg

edit: wrong quote

Solid_1723
16th Aug 2011, 13:50

When you browse for DX:HR in the german steam store it lists the following languages: English, French, German, Italian, Polish, Russian, Spanish.

raz3r
16th Aug 2011, 13:51
Because you don't bought your version in Germany. There are TWO German versions, one for Austria and Switzerland, and one for Germany. You can't change the language of the version from Germany.
Wait, in your case it was related to censorship and German laws. Regarding DX there should not be any limitation in Germany so PERHAPS you should be able to change the language at any time.

Dr_Bob
16th Aug 2011, 13:57

http://i.imgur.com/pOhff.png

Gemuesepizza
16th Aug 2011, 14:02
You don't have the German version of Call of Duty, you have the European version. You can change the language from the European version to German, but you can't change the German version to any other language.

jaywalker2309
16th Aug 2011, 14:04
Just to be clear to everyone the region lock is just for the retail BOX copies.. ie if you physically buy a box in the UK it will have the uk region code etc, if you buy a boxed copy in russia will be locked to russia, everywhere else is covered by a rest of world region (including poland).

Due to disc size limitations, the languages had to be split onto different masters (PCs dont have universal bluray drives yet so we couldnt put all on 1 disc this is why there is so much confusion)

Also all versions have ALL languages available. So even if you buy the English UK version, you can change the language to French, German etc whenever you want.. The size of the game meant we couldnt fit all languages onto the disc so you will just download the language pack for the game that is all..

Dr_Bob
16th Aug 2011, 14:06
Just to be clear to everyone the region lock is just for the retail BOX copies.. ie if you physically buy a box in the UK it will have the uk region code. Digital purchases are different.

Thank you for clearing up the issue.

Solid_1723
16th Aug 2011, 14:08
Just to be clear to everyone the region lock is just for the retail BOX copies.. ie if you physically buy a box in the UK it will have the uk region code. Digital purchases are different.

Thank you for clearing that up!:thumb:

Edit: Ninja'd by the Doc:)

Gemuesepizza
16th Aug 2011, 14:14
That means I can't/shouldn't buy the UK retail version or a key from a key store if I'm living in Germany, because it can't be activated in Germany because of the region lock, but I can change the language of the German version to English? Good to know.

jaywalker2309
16th Aug 2011, 14:15
The pain has really come due to the languages having to be split onto the discs for retail.. Its meant people have confused the region and languages available to just those on the disc etc..

Also the region locks in place are just on activation.. if you buy in the uk a boxed copy and activate in the uk and then go to germany or another country it will still work..

That means I can't/shouldn't buy the UK retail version or a key from a key store if I'm living in Germany, because it can't be activated in Germany because of the region lock, but I can change the language of the German version to English? Good to know.

Digital copies are not region locked as far as i am aware. Any region checks have been long standing there etc.. ie credit card region so isnt new for Deus

Sid_Loman
16th Aug 2011, 14:17

What about copies from Amazon.co.uk, Game.co.uk etc? They are also boxed copies, but you don't physically buy them there. Are they restricted to UK only or could they be used everywhere?

jaywalker2309
16th Aug 2011, 14:19
What about copies from Amazon.co.uk, Game.co.uk etc? They are also boxed copies, but you don't physically buy them there. Are they restricted to UK only or could they be used everywhere?

If you buy from amazon.co.uk they are selling uk product so as a box is the uk version.. amazon.de will sell the german disc etc..

FYI the disc splits are as follows - We couldnt fit more languages per disc.

English on own (being sold in the UK)
English / French (being sold in the US i believe)
French / German
Italian / Spanish
Polish / Russian

Again to be clear, only the russian and UK (english) steam codes for box copies are region locked, and ALL languages are available to ALL users once activated (may require language pack download if language is not on the disc version purchased)

Sid_Loman
16th Aug 2011, 14:25

Well that's just great. Would it be possible to include such warning sooner than couple of days before release? If I hadn't checked the forums by chance, I would get a game I'm not allowed to play.

And for the record, the augmented edition can't be bough in my country, that's why I choose UK, like usuall and until now without problems.

jaywalker2309
16th Aug 2011, 14:29
There are so many different versions being sold by different territories. Each seems to have its own special edition (augmented versions etc)

I dont make these deals am afraid, so cannot comment on that. Which region you in?

uberajnn
16th Aug 2011, 14:31
Wow, I can see now Norwegian retailers are selling a 'Nordic Edition' (zillion times more expensive than my amazon preorder). First time I've ever seen that, it's dumb as ****.

edit: nordic edition also includes the tong mission and preorder weapons. it does not contain the making of dvd or artbook.

raz3r
16th Aug 2011, 14:34
I remember an Eidos member SUGGESTING me to buy the CE from shopto.net since in Italy is not available at all. Thank God I preordered the AE instead at Gamestop here in Italy. Quoting JC, what a shame...

Warriah
16th Aug 2011, 14:36
If it is only a matter of space why don't you provide additional languages (the English one above all) to the console physical copies as a free extra content through digital delivery services like "X-Box Live"? It could be not very usual but, I guess, neither too hard to implement and for a deep action-RPG like HR it would be particularly appreciated.

jaywalker2309
16th Aug 2011, 14:43
As i said once you've activated the game you can change to any language, and the system will simply download the additional language from the steam servers, free.. how is that different from what you suggesting? :) this is for pc only of course

on console its not so easy i believe.. structure of code layout being mixed between disc and HD would be complicated :(

Zazzerpan
16th Aug 2011, 14:50
I bought the augmented edition from game.co.uk because I can't get both bonuses here in the states. Does this mean I can't play the UK version in North America? I would like to know quickly because they said they'd be charging my credit card soon.

jaywalker2309
16th Aug 2011, 14:52
I bought the augmented edition from game.co.uk because I can't get both bonuses here in the states. Does this mean I can't play the UK version in North America? I would like to know quickly because they said they'd be charging my credit card soon.

The code shipping with the UK box copy will only activate in the UK.. There is US versions of the same product i thought.. Gamestop do it dont they?

Zazzerpan
16th Aug 2011, 14:54
Thanks for the answer! They do in a way. North Americans don't get both preorder bonuses with the augmented edition and there may be some other missing stuff but I don't know about that.

sajin
16th Aug 2011, 14:58
vpn / proxy -> solved

DXeXodus
16th Aug 2011, 15:01
Thanks for that clear up jaycw2309. Makes it all a lot easier to understand.

jaywalker2309
16th Aug 2011, 15:08
Thanks for that clear up jaycw2309. Makes it all a lot easier to understand.

have to have some uses as the `inside man` dont i ;)

DXeXodus
16th Aug 2011, 15:10
We never doubted your status good sir :D

tZer
16th Aug 2011, 15:12
The code shipping with the UK box copy will only activate in the UK.. There is US versions of the same product i thought.. Gamestop do it dont they?

No, Eidos is messing up big by not letting people in the US get both pre-order bonuses in any way. I don't care, because I get the UK Edition and am still in Europe, although if the ridiculous region-lock won't let me activate the game in Austria, I'll be sure to just play the game without steam.

uberajnn
16th Aug 2011, 15:18
vpn / proxy -> solved

I guess you'd have to do a clean steam install as well?

raz3r
16th Aug 2011, 15:19
Chances are that EU people who preordered from UK may have already left the forum and, perhaps, they won't ear about that lock until the release date when they will be like "WTF?". That was a bad move, you guys should have warned us a long time ago. Keep in mind that it might not be able anymore to preorder both AE or CE due to high sales. What shall people do right now? This time I've been lucky but I can see the rage on my friends faces when they will know about that (and yes, they've preordered from shopto).

jaywalker2309
16th Aug 2011, 15:24
No, Eidos is messing up big by not letting people in the US get both pre-order bonuses in any way. I don't care, because I get the UK Edition and am still in Europe, although if the ridiculous region-lock won't let me activate the game in Austria, I'll be sure to just play the game without steam.

Since the game is steamworks based, and therefore requires steam to work, playing without steam means you intend to pirate the game, and since you've just told us this on our official forum, i think you can safely say that wasnt the wisest thing to admit to :)

Sid_Loman
16th Aug 2011, 15:29
There are so many different versions being sold by different territories. Each seems to have its own special edition (augmented versions etc)

I dont make these deals am afraid, so cannot comment on that. Which region you in?

Czech Republic. There was the possibility to buy it, but there were very few copies and when I checked (sometime in July) they were all gone. So I went to UK stores, like I usually do in that cases, as the price is very similar there...

I'll keep looking in my country, maybe some stores got hands on more copies...

Sugioh
16th Aug 2011, 15:30
Jay, could you clarify one thing for me?

If I continue with my preorder from game.co.uk for the augmented edition (I live in the US), outside of the requirement to activate in the UK, will the game continue to be available when I access that steam account from other regions?

I ask this because some steam region locks only apply to activation, while others also apply to subsequent accesses. I'd really prefer not to have to choose between the two DLC packs just because I live in North America.

Gemuesepizza
16th Aug 2011, 15:35
Since the game is steamworks based, and therefore requires steam to work, playing without steam means you intend to pirate the game, and since you've just told us this on our official forum, i think you can safely say that wasnt the wisest thing to admit to :)

Not really. He said hey preordered the game, and if he can't activate his PAID copy of the game, he might use a crack. That's not pirating.

PS: I play on PS3 ;)

Nevermore
16th Aug 2011, 15:42
Let me understand please: I live in Italy and I have the Collector's Edition preorder from Amazon.uk. Can I play DE:HR or not?

Sugioh
16th Aug 2011, 15:44
At the very least you'd need to be in the UK to activate it (or use a proxy). Whether subsequent accesses would require you to also be in the UK or not depends on how they set up the region lock. That's what I also want to know.

raz3r
16th Aug 2011, 15:45
Let me understand please: I live in Italy and I have the Collector's Edition preorder from Amazon.uk. Can I play DE:HR or not?
Ciao compaesano ^^ Sembrerebbe proprio di no, sto cercando di avere conferma ma a quanto pare la versione UK non è attivabile in Italia. Chiaramente parliamo della versione PC.

It looks like you can't activate your PC copy if it comes from UK, I am trying to have confirmation but it should be 99% correct.

Kodaemon
16th Aug 2011, 15:46

No, you ****tard, it doesn't mean that. I used to use cracks for my store-purchased store-purchased Steam-using games, but I still felt wrong about my money going to Valve, so I just stopped buying them entirely. And no, you giant turd, I don't pirate them either.

Charadesmith
16th Aug 2011, 15:49
Here come the moronic floods

jaywalker2309
16th Aug 2011, 15:50
Simple answer is if you bought a boxed copy you should buy from your territory stores, not import from the UK.

It is only the initial activation that is required to be in the UK for those copies mind, think Sugioh asked this..

jaywalker2309
16th Aug 2011, 15:51
No, you ****tard, it doesn't mean that. I used to use cracks for my store-purchased store-purchased Steam-using games, but I still felt wrong about my money going to Valve, so I just stopped buying them entirely. And no, you giant turd, I don't pirate them either.

Sighs and here was me hoping people buying a game rated 18 would be mature.. You didnt need to post anything if you dont like valve etc.

If you do anything to circumvent the games systems, which includes copy protection system, which is in this case Steam, then you are pirating.. if you PAID for it why would you need to use pirate exes etc.. simple answer to a simple question, didnt need to be rude about it. :)

Kodaemon
16th Aug 2011, 15:55
It was a reaction to the baseless piracy accusation. That just ticks me off.

DXeXodus
That seems to wishful thinking unfortunately.

Sigh

Sugioh
It is only the initial activation that is required to be in the UK for those copies mind, think Sugioh asked this..

Could you please confirm that? I know it would be ideal (for marketing, heh) if I bought from "my region", but that doesn't give me the product I want. I'd really hate to have paid for international shipping only to find that it refuses international access post-activation.

The77s
Question:

Why the hell would you pre-order from a different country?

Are pre-order bonuses that important?

Or are there other reasons?

7h30n
16th Aug 2011, 15:56
Hmm ... so that means I can't even buy a game? (Unless I do it through steam) Stores in Croatia import from UK and I usually buy my games off of game.co.uk because it's cheaper to get it direct than buy it at my local store (and a lot cheaper than buying it on Steam)...

Oh well either I watch a good let's play, move to UK or wait for Steam sale... perhaps neither because by that time Arkham City will come out.

raz3r
16th Aug 2011, 15:57
Simple answer is if you bought a boxed copy you should buy from your territory stores, not import from the UK.

You didn't answer my question though, why are you warning us now? Why did it take so long to write "not import from the UK"? Again, another admin suggested me to buy the CE from shopto less than a month ago. I love your game, I sincerely do but when something like that happen I really feel bad. Keep in mind that since we can't import from UK, us, PC gamers, won't have a chance to own the CE since we live in Italy.

Question:

CE is not available in Italy and, more important, games are cheaper on UK.

Xeidon
16th Aug 2011, 15:57
Question:

36 ~ euro UK Augmented vs. 55 + 5 euro (special delivery in germany for USK 18 stuff) for the german Augmented.

Charadesmith
16th Aug 2011, 15:58
Question:

Don't you get it? They get the game 3 days earlier but they want pointless bonuses that nobody in europe cares about because they're clearly unimportant but they must find a way to justify piracy and what better than to blame publishers?

Superdupont
16th Aug 2011, 16:00

I think I'm now old enough to choose where I want to buy my games, specially when it's that much cheaper.
If only we had known of this in time, but now the Augmented Edition is unavailable in France, or at a prohibitive price.
We should have known earlier.

jaywalker2309
16th Aug 2011, 16:01
Speak to the sales guys, i am just posting as i've seen people reacting to things, over reacting in a lot of cases too which is a great shame. We were still working on the disc layout a month ago etc.. so there wouldnt have been an known language split then etc.

7h30n - Croatia have their own stock i believe..

Solid_1723
16th Aug 2011, 16:01
Question:

-price
-included languages
-uncut vs cut
-preorder boni

Not all of them are valid for this specific game, but those are the general reasons I can think of.

jaywalker2309
16th Aug 2011, 16:02
There is zero difference in content between any pc version, there is no `cut` version in any of the mentioned languages.

raz3r
Don't you get it? They get the game 3 days earlier but they want pointless bonuses that nobody in europe cares about because they're clearly unimportant but they must find a way to justify piracy and what better than to blame publishers?
Are you mad? It's about MONEY and VERSION, how can it be my fault if they don't sell the PC version of the Collector's Edition here in Italy? Seriously, think before posting random. I believe everyone on this forum is an HUGE fan of Deus Ex. Pirates definitely are not there.

Xeidon
specially when it's that much cheaper.

Why do you think only the UK and Russia/Poland versions are completely region locked?
Because they want more money and games are cheap to import from these regions.

Charadesmith
16th Aug 2011, 16:04
Are you mad? It's about MONEY and VERSION, how can it be my fault if they don't sell the PC version of the Collector's Edition here in Italy? Seriously, think before posting random. I believe everyone on this forum is an HUGE fan of Deus Ex. Pirates definitely are not there.

I cannot for a second believe that boxed copies bought/imported from the UK cannot be activated in EU. That they can't be activated in the US, that i can believe because it is common and most likely the real case going on here. But what you are saying has never happened and i don't see how it could happen in this game's case. It's just miscommunication/misinformation.

Sugioh
16th Aug 2011, 16:06

Yes. Having played the beta, I was impressed with how well integrated they were into the full game. (read: they were ripped out rather than being extras) I also want to support the developers for creating such a great game.

raz3r
16th Aug 2011, 16:06
I cannot for a second believe that boxed copies bought/imported from the UK cannot be activated in EU. That they can't be activated in the US, that i can believe. But what you are saying has never happened and i don't see how it could happen in this game's case. It's just miscommunication/misinformation.
Dude that's what they're telling us, unless they're stupid (and I don't think so) they won't confirm something like that before being absolutely sure.

Solid_1723
16th Aug 2011, 16:07
There is zero difference in content between any pc version, there is no `cut` version in any of the mentioned languages.

If you reread my post you'll notice, that I mentioned that not all of the possible reasons mentioned are valid for this specific game.

jaywalker2309
16th Aug 2011, 16:08
If you reread my post you'll notice, that I mentioned that not all of the possible reasons mentioned are valid for this specific game.

i know but i was making it clear that there is no content difference in the game :)

Charadesmith
16th Aug 2011, 16:09
Dude that's what they're telling us, unless they're stupid (and I don't think so) they won't confirm something like that before being absolutely sure.

It's not what they're telling us because it's that inside man guy that's telling us and he admitted himself that he's not 100% sure what he's saying is true. It's not his job to know this anyway...

Sugioh, the bonuses weren't even in the leak

jaywalker2309
16th Aug 2011, 16:12
It's not what they're telling us because it's that inside man guy that's telling us and he admitted himself that he's not 100% sure what he's saying is true. It's not his job to know this anyway...

Sugioh, the bonuses weren't even in the leak

People need to be clear if they talking about box copies purchased, or digital downloads `pre-ordered` etc as they are quite different.

As for the bonuses, they wouldnt have been included in preview code, so not `leaked` :)

raz3r
16th Aug 2011, 16:13
Usually, if you're not 100% sure, you wait for the community manager or anyone else who is responsible and ask him. Beside we are 100% that there is a region lock (as you can read here (http://support.eu.square-enix.com/faqarticle.php?kid=59795&ret=main&id=2134&la=2&pv=20&SQEXSC=7qllfsuh1m4mt4363djgb80jn3)), now we need to know WHAT REGIONS are locked. From what we've heard so far it looks you can't activate an UK copy outside UK. If we're wrong I hope someone will tell us asap because it's less then ten days before the release and people need to know.

People need to be clear if they talking about box copies purchased, or digital downloads `pre-ordered` etc as they are quite different.

As for the bonuses, they wouldnt have been included in preview code, so not `leaked` :)
Let's make this clear once for all:

Easy question: I bought a RETAIL copy IN UK buy I live OUTSIDE UK. Will I be able to ACTIVATE the game or not?
Easy answer: YES/NO

Brockxz
16th Aug 2011, 16:17

ou just great, thanks for screwing up my preorder and now i don 't have an option to actually buy boxed retail version (i preordered from game.co.uk) and i clearly don't intend to buy it on steam (because it's overpriced there), because i don 't want all those bonuses only in digital format. For the record just you (EM) know, there is no retailer in Latvia who sells DXHR boxed.

Charadesmith
16th Aug 2011, 16:17
Where outside the UK?

jaywalker2309
16th Aug 2011, 16:18
Let's make this clear once for all:

Easy question: I bought a RETAIL copy IN UK buy I live OUTSIDE UK. Will I be able to ACTIVATE the game or not?
Easy answer: YES/NO

No. Can only activate the UK boxed copy in UK (includes Isle of man etc)

Sugioh
16th Aug 2011, 16:19

Technically this is incorrect; if you're buying in North America you either lose access to a few weapons, or a few weapons and a mission that means a lot to those of us who are fans of the original.

That's the entire reason that I was importing in the first place.

I really hope that I can play my UK copy in the US (as long as it is properly activated), so everyone can be happy.

Charadesmith
16th Aug 2011, 16:20

That can't be right. It doesn't affect me but i'm pretty sure no publisher has ever done such a thing, are you 100% sure? If so i suggest you change publishers and fast.

raz3r
16th Aug 2011, 16:21
Thank you and sorry if I look rude but I just wanted to have a clear answer. Now about that No.... :mad2:

Sugioh
16th Aug 2011, 16:21

This doesn't answer the real question.

If I buy a boxed UK copy and activate it in the UK, will I be able to play it in other regions?

Charadesmith
16th Aug 2011, 16:22

If I buy a boxed UK copy and activate it in the UK, will I be able to play it in other regions?

That's a most definitive yes.

raz3r
16th Aug 2011, 16:23

That has been already answered and the answer is YES, read the thread:

Sugioh
16th Aug 2011, 16:24
The bonuses were indeed in the preview build. Well, most of them.

You started with 10000 credits, the silenced sniper rifle, sawed-off shotgun, and a few UR-DEDs. The other preorder items were all found throughout the preview, with the exception of the grenade launcher.

Brockxz
16th Aug 2011, 16:25
jaycw2309, please tell me how can i get retail copy in my country when you lregion locked the only real source (UK) we could get games here in Latvia? We don 't have retailers to sell DXHR.

SageSavage
Ok, I've not followed this for a while and I'm not sure if I get this right. Please enlighten me: does the German version (standard / limited edition retail DVD boxes) contain the English and the German language tracks?

Charadesmith
The bonuses were indeed in the preview build. Well, most of them.

You started with 10000 credits, the silenced sniper rifle, sawed-off shotgun, and a few UR-DEDs. The other preorder items were all found throughout the preview, with the exception of the grenade launcher.

That's just how the regular game is. See how pointless the bonuses are? Same thing but you start with all of them right from beginning

Gemuesepizza
16th Aug 2011, 16:26
Ok, I've not followed this for a while and I'm not sure if I get this right. Please enlighten me: does the German version (standard / limited edition retail DVD boxes) contain the English and the German language tracks?

PC version? No, but you can download English.

raz3r
16th Aug 2011, 16:27
Can someone edit the OP and update it? Here are the most important answers:

I bought a RETAIL copy IN UK but I live OUTSIDE UK. Will I be able to ACTIVATE the game or not?
NO
Proof: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1649553&postcount=124 (by jaycw2309)

I bought a RETAIL copy IN UK, once I've ACTIVATED IT in UK will I be able to PLAY OUTSIDE UK?
YES (REQUIRES MORE CONFIRMATION THOUGH)
Proof: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1649517&postcount=98 (by jaycw2309)

Sugioh
16th Aug 2011, 16:27
That has been already answered and the answer is YES, read the thread:

I guess his reply didn't seem particularly confident to me, and I've heard of plenty of steam games that disappear from the list when accessed from another region (New Vegas was fairly notorious for this).

pi r squared
16th Aug 2011, 16:28
Ok, I've not followed this for a while and I'm not sure if I get this right. Please enlighten me: does the German version (standard / limited edition retail DVD boxes) contain the English and the German language tracks?No, it will either contain English only or, more likely, FIGS (French, Italian, German, Spanish). But apparently all languages are available to all people via download (Steam).

Sugioh
16th Aug 2011, 16:29
That's just how the regular game is. See how pointless the bonuses are? Same thing but you start with all of them right from beginning

No, if you have the regular game those items never show up at all. They're replaced with a "similar" item. Or that's what was said in a previous Q&A on these boards somewhere, anyway.

SageSavage
16th Aug 2011, 16:33
No, it will either contain English only or, more likely, FIGS (French, Italian, German, Spanish). But apparently all languages are available to all people via download (Steam).

Ok, that is what I thought then (:mad2:). Will buyers of the boxed version get free access to the language packs via Steam?

raz3r
16th Aug 2011, 16:34
Ok, that is what I thought then (:mad2:). Will buyers of the boxed version get free access to the language packs via Steam?
Yes:

http://support.eu.square-enix.com/faqarticle.php?kid=59794&ret=main&id=2134&la=2

Gemuesepizza
16th Aug 2011, 16:34
Yes.

jaywalker2309
16th Aug 2011, 16:35
All languages are available to all activated players. You will need download the files for any language that's not on your disc. Steam handles this for you automatically when you change the language.

SageSavage
16th Aug 2011, 16:37
Well, that's at least something then. Thanks for clarifying.

Sugioh
16th Aug 2011, 16:37
Could you please clarify on playing from other regions than where they're activated, Jay?

I promise I'll leave you alone afterwards. :3

jaywalker2309
16th Aug 2011, 16:42
Could you please clarify on playing from other regions than where they're activated, Jay?

I promise I'll leave you alone afterwards. :3

Believe activation is only point of region lock. As if someone bought game in UK then moved home after playing we not stopping them playing.

Sugioh
16th Aug 2011, 16:46
Believe activation is only point of region lock. As if someone bought game in UK then moved home after playing we not stopping them playing.

Alrighty, I'll take you at your word then and won't cancel my UK preorder. Thanks so much for answering my questions!

Salah-ad Din
16th Aug 2011, 16:51
Haha, I'm reading about "UK cancelled" all over the net. And don't make the mistake thinking those guys will order another version instead. Many of them are so pissed they'll wait until a Steam-deal or another huge price drop.

Well, Square Enix tried to confine low priced imports, now they get no money at all from these buyers. Plus the business with even cheaper Steam keys in the numerous online stores will get a boost, too. Which means even less money for Square Enix. Serves them right! :p

Kodaemon
16th Aug 2011, 16:59
Haha, I'm reading about "UK cancelled" all over the net. And don't make the mistake thinking those guys will order another version instead. Many of them are so pissed they'll wait until a Steam-deal or another huge price drop.

Well, Square Enix tried to confine low priced imports, now they get no money at all from these buyers. Plus the business with even cheaper Steam keys in the numerous online stores will get a boost, too. Which means even less money for Square Enix. Serves them right! :p

Great to hear! :thumb:

Baltar
16th Aug 2011, 17:04
Let me ask this then - Just to clarify things and be sure I got this right -

Someone in the USA, buys the CE from HMV or Game.co.uk, They wont be able to activate it, but -

Someone in the USA, Buys the CE from Australia and has it shipped to the USA, can they activate it???

Maybee someone should make a thread that has a bunch of sites outside of the UK that is selling the CE so USA can preorder it..

ZakKa89
16th Aug 2011, 17:10

does this mean if I change my steam language to japanese I can get japanese voices :D

Sugioh
16th Aug 2011, 17:10
You can activate a UK copy from a UK IP address. Similarly, you should be able to activate the Oz copy from an Oz IP address. Steam is perfectly happy as long as your IP is in the right region when you enter the key.

Now, some steam games have addition locks and can't be accessed when you're in other regions, but Jay has cleared that up for us.

escapehere
16th Aug 2011, 17:11
This is illegal under EU law. For those of you affected by this, be sure to write a complaint to the EU commission. They are free to lock Russia because it's not in the EU, but the UK and Poland absolutely are. If you buy a game in the EU and cannot activate it elsewhere in the EU it is a restriction of free trade. Please - file a complaint and let the commission know so they can stamp out on this kind of behaviour before more and more publishers start doing it.

Sugioh
16th Aug 2011, 17:11
does this mean if I change my steam language to japanese I can get japanese voices :D

Yes. Also planning to do this for my second playthrough.

Charadesmith
16th Aug 2011, 17:12
escapehere that's one of the reasons why i don't believe it's true. Besides, It's never happened with any game, ANY.

Sugioh
16th Aug 2011, 17:13
This is illegal under EU law.

I don't know. If that were the case, wouldn't DVD region codes and game console region locks have been struck down years ago? Surely there is no lack of lawyers eager to file if they thought there was a case there.

escapehere
16th Aug 2011, 17:17
I don't know. If that were the case, wouldn't DVD region codes and game console region locks have been struck down years ago? Surely there is no lack of lawyers eager to file if they thought there was a case there.

It's not illegal to region lock, it's illegal to region lock different EU countries into different regions. All EU countries are region 2, including the UK and Poland. If the DVD creators created a separate region separating the UK from the rest of the EU it would be illegal - and would've gone to court years ago. I think you'll find it's the same with consoles. There is nothing stopping them locking EU within the EU (locking out North America, etc), but they can't block individual EU countries like they're currently doing it.

Sugioh
16th Aug 2011, 17:19
But your logic is that it's an impediment to free trade, and the US and Canada have free trade agreements with many EU countries. So by your logic, it would also be a violation.

escapehere
16th Aug 2011, 17:25
Those free trade agreements only cover specific things - having a free trade agreement with the EU doesn't mean you're in the EU and afforded all the same rights as fully-fledged members.

Apple already tried this in the EU - and quickly changed their behaviour after the EU started an antitrust case against them. Apple previously region locked the UK from other iTunes stores and charged higher prices - they don't do this anymore.

Eidos are doing effectively the same thing here, and there's a very big precedent already that suggests they want to tread carefully here.

tZer
16th Aug 2011, 17:27
Wow, they screwed up BIG TIME there. First with the pre-order bonuses, and now this.
"Durr, only UK Edition has all bonuses, SO SORRY" "Durr, can't play UK Edition either, SO SORRY"

Salah-ad Din
16th Aug 2011, 17:28
This is illegal under EU law. For those of you affected by this, be sure to write a complaint to the EU commission. They are free to lock Russia because it's not in the EU, but the UK and Poland absolutely are. If you buy a game in the EU and cannot activate it elsewhere in the EU it is a restriction of free trade. Please - file a complaint and let the commission know so they can stamp out on this kind of behaviour before more and more publishers start doing it.

There are actually several things with Steam that are illegal under EU-law. And you know what good old Gabe gives when he reads about it? "A damn." :D Because a citizen of the EU would have to sue him in the USA and that wont happen. I guess he's dancing in his office all day singing..."can't touch me!" *nananana...can't touch me* :rasp:

Well...gotta live with it, or quit gaming I guess. :rolleyes:

Baltar
16th Aug 2011, 17:28
Went ahead and cancelled my HMV preorder of deus ex CE - was willing to pay the $150 it would've cost to import it to the USA.. I'll only get it if I see the AU CE version on ebay, otherwise forget it.

Naekh
16th Aug 2011, 17:29
What the heck? You mean that the Augmented Edition I purchased from Amazon.co.uk which is an official reseller here in the Netherlands is not working here? In what would be a good reason for that? If that is indeed true then I'll do as escapehere says because that's clearly illegal. YOu'd better be sure about what you doing Eidos, it's gonna get messy.

Sugioh
16th Aug 2011, 17:32
I think there are other considerations to keep in mind too (note that I'm not defending region locks; I hate them passionately). For example, Left 4 Dead 2 had to be censored for Germany, and was nearly refused classification in Australia. Australia doesn't matter for the purposes of this argument, but the non-censored version would certainly be refused classification in Germany. Until the EU has a unified ratings board and laws regarding content, some level of region locking seems inevitable.

escapehere
16th Aug 2011, 17:37
There are actually several things with Steam that are illegal under EU-law. And you know what good old Gabe gives when he reads about it? "A damn." :D Because a citizen of the EU would have to sue him in the USA and that wont happen. I guess he's dancing in his office all day singing..."can't touch me!" *nananana...can't touch me* :rasp:

Well...gotta live with it, or quit gaming I guess. :rolleyes:

Complain to the EU commission. They're not going to bother investigating unless people start complaining.

Also, this goes beyond steam - it applies to retail boxed copies too!

escapehere
16th Aug 2011, 17:40
I think there are other considerations to keep in mind too (note that I'm not defending region locks; I hate them passionately). For example, Left 4 Dead 2 had to be censored for Germany, and was nearly refused classification in Australia. Australia doesn't matter for the purposes of this argument, but the non-censored version would certainly be refused classification in Germany. Until the EU has a unified ratings board and laws regarding content, some level of region locking seems inevitable.

Sure, let them prove in court they're doing this for content censoring, not to restrain free trade within the EU. If they can do that, I have no problem :)

But we all know exactly why they're doing this. But ignoring any potential EU legalities, as this goes viral they're going to acquire so much badwill from potential customers for doing this. I hope it's worth it!

Charadesmith
16th Aug 2011, 17:41
I still think this is wrong information and that you'll be able to activate it outside the UK. If not, escapehere is right and do what he says.

The True Turrican
16th Aug 2011, 17:49
Post moved to end page 10... Got scrambled again and again.

Tecman
16th Aug 2011, 17:55
escapehere, a ton of people complained to the EU Commission with written letters and an email campaign when Steam switched from using the dollar plus tax where applicable to local currencies and we ended up in the situation where the UK games were much cheaper & priced in pounds, yet people in mainland Europe could not buy directly from that store if they wanted to.

It achieved nothing. I still have my "we'll look into it" written reply. That's all that happened.

Naekh
16th Aug 2011, 18:02
escapehere, a ton of people complained to the EU Commission with written letters and an email campaign when Steam switched from using the dollar plus tax where applicable to local currencies and we ended up in the situation where the UK games were much cheaper & priced in pounds, yet people in mainland Europe could not buy directly from that store if they wanted to.

It achieved nothing. I still have my "we'll look into it" written reply. That's all that happened.

Still worth the shot.

Charadesmith
16th Aug 2011, 18:05
Letters and emails won't do anything. Take legal action with the ECJ

guillaume.oudin
16th Aug 2011, 18:08
Also preordered my CE from game.co.uk . I live in France and I'm not going to be happy if I can't play it.

Also, could someone clarify something for me...is it going to be much like Half Life 2 retail where you just can't play without steam ? Because to me Steam wasn't coming to the picture unless you were ordering the digital version. I hope I'm wrong...I don't like Steam. At all. Too much freedom restriction for the customer, way too much control for Valve.

Charadesmith
16th Aug 2011, 18:09
You can't play it without steam

Salah-ad Din
16th Aug 2011, 18:12
That's just how I see it. Yes, I'm probably a pessimist. There are several things you can do to really "communicate" your frustration towards a publisher:

If you can't help it, if you want the game, buy it as cheap as possible. Especially as this is a Steamworks game, so you cannot resell it. Use a key shop, look for cheap imports (those that work in your country), squeeze as much saving out of it as possible.

buy it later, wait for a Steam-deal or when the game becomes budget.

never buy it. If you're strong enough. ^^

And tell your friends. The minority reads and writes on the internet forums, the majority blindly buys the game on Steam or in the shops.

typical
16th Aug 2011, 18:16
Region lock on codes is the typical nonsense* of nowdays, that makes me want to stop giving my money.

*euphemism

Now I have to cancel my order from my trusted eshop, register elsewhere (where I don't want to) and make a new order for a normal edition which will still cost 10€ more than the augmented one I should have got.

I am soooo "happy customer" right now.

Baltar
16th Aug 2011, 18:18
That's just how I see it. Yes, I'm probably a pessimist. There are several things you can do to really "communicate" your frustration towards a publisher:

a) If you can't help it, if you want the game, buy it as cheap as possible. Especially as this is a Steamworks game, so you cannot resell it. Use a key shop, look for cheap imports (those that work in your country), squeeze as much saving out of it as possible.

b) buy it later, wait for a Steam-deal or when the game becomes budget.

c) never buy it. If you're strong enough. ^^

And tell your friends. The minority reads and writes on the internet forums, the majority blindly buys the game on Steam or in the shops.

d) In addition to plan b, go hunt down the CE/augmented edition bonuses on ebay. That's what I did to shogun 2 when I heard that had steam region locking on it. Seems like I'm the only person in the USA with a working shogun2 grandmaster edition now. :)

guillaume.oudin
16th Aug 2011, 18:18
Hum. Thanks for clearing that up. I find it quite ironic that all these measures (steam required, region lock, what not...) are taken on a game like DX where freedom is a key feature.

Edit : Well I understand now where all of this is coming from. It is very easy to "region lock" on PC with such a wonderful tool such as Steam, whereas it is very difficult to do on a non-steamwork based PC game. As I see it, quite a bad move.

Charadesmith
16th Aug 2011, 18:26
Just be glad you're getting an awesome game in this era and pay the damn devs what they deserve

Salah-ad Din
16th Aug 2011, 18:26
Hum. Thanks for clearing that up. I find it quite ironic that all these measures (steam required, region lock, what not...) are taken on a game like DX where freedom is a key feature.

But the irony is hilarious, isn't it? :lol:

"Corporations have more power than the government..."

"Always hiding behind lies, waiting in the shadows."

"It's a time of great innovations..."

"They cannot stop us!"

:lmao:

Just be glad you're getting an awesome game in this era and pay the damn devs what they deserve

The devs would deserve it, yes. But they're not the ones getting most of the money. So sorry dear developers, but the marketing guys ****ed it up again. ;)

Baltar
16th Aug 2011, 18:35
But the irony is hilarious, isn't it? :lol:

"Corporations have more power than the government..."

"Always hiding behind lies, waiting in the shadows."

"It's a time of great innovations..."

"They cannot stop us!"

:lmao:

The devs would deserve it, yes. But they're not the ones getting most of the money. So sorry dear developers, but the marketing guys ****ed it up again. ;)

This. People who really don't deserve the money are usually the ones that get the money.

guillaume.oudin
16th Aug 2011, 18:40
Just found this :

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is almost upon us and those interested in purchasing the PC version should be aware that it will be region-locked, so make sure to purchase the right version for your country as you won’t be able to register the game if you purchase a different one.

On the other hand, those of you who purchased a key from GreenGaming should not worry as all keys bought from there will not in fact be region locked in this specific instance. This was confirmed by both GreenGaming and Square Enix so there is no reason to return them as of yet.

As read here : http://www.dsogaming.com/news/deus-ex-human-revolution-pc-will-be-region-locked/

So there are some region free keys around it seems. I guess it's because it is digital.

tZer
16th Aug 2011, 18:40
Now I have to cancel my order from my trusted eshop, register elsewhere (where I don't want to) and make a new order for a normal edition which will still cost 10€ more than the augmented one I should have got.

Apparently you can still activate it when using a UK-based proxy. .

I'm awaiting an official Statement from Eidos in the meantime.

Sugioh
16th Aug 2011, 19:00
ixnay on the oxy-pray. Okay?

While there's nothing wrong with it, we wouldn't want SE to tighten the region lock to more than registration. Then we really would be screwed.

Charadesmith
16th Aug 2011, 19:13
I think Squeenix Europe should be aware that there isn't a single store in Portugal selling the game. I'm glad i ordered from GMG but this means the game will go by unnoticed in yet another country

Solid_1723
16th Aug 2011, 19:34
That's terror!

satan_shark
16th Aug 2011, 19:50
Ok Well...I've just paid 100€ for the Collector's Edition in a London GameStop (I'm on vacancy in UK) Beacause in Italy there's no Collector's Edition in sale.

Now who gives my money back? Obviusly the shop will not give them back...
How can I play with the game anywhere?

Salah-ad Din
16th Aug 2011, 19:52
Ok Well...I've just paid 100€ for the Collector's Edition in a London GameStop (I'm on vacancy in UK) Beacause in Italy there's no Collector's Edition in sale.

The shop will most definitely take the game back. Just print some of the new informations, or show 'em the FAQ / website when you're in the shop and they'll take it back.

jaywalker2309
16th Aug 2011, 19:54

Why wouldnt the shop give you money back? since the product is not physically available to buy yet you havent received the goods so you can cancel at any time..

Mystery
16th Aug 2011, 20:00
I just cancelled my pre-order of the collectors edition since I can't activate my UK version where I live. Thanks Eidos.
Sure I could buy a different region version or resort to a digital copy, but for me, this is about principle.

Honest PC gamers have enough trouble with all the overzealous publishers forcing more and more outrageous DRMs on us. Remember UbiSofts recent escapades? Looking forward to Diablo3's online single player?
What we certainly don't need is yet another form of restriction to the games we buy.

I was really REALLY looking forward to DXHR, but I won't buy the game until I hear from Eidos/Square that the region lock is gone.
Maybe I'm overreacting, but I'd really like to know ONE SINGLE reason why the game activation has to be region locked or is advantageous for the consumer. Just one!

This is just another unnecessary DRM feature that nobody needs. It only adds to the frustration of the paying customer by making even the order process overly complicated.
Maybe it's a "genius" plot to boost sales of digital versions, but I really don't care anymore.

If Eidos/Square decide to remove the region lock, I'll reconsider my purchase. But until then I guess I'll have to play through DX1 a couple more times.

typical
16th Aug 2011, 20:11
Apparently you can still activate it when using a UK-based proxy.

I'm awaiting an official Statement from Eidos in the meantime.
I won't use a proxy.

I'm also hearing doubts about the legality of this thing (the intra-union region locking I mean) in Europe.
What else can I say..? Welcome to new "smart idea".

satan_shark
16th Aug 2011, 20:14
Why wouldnt the shop give you money back? since the product is not physically available to buy yet you havent received the goods so you can cancel at any time..
They do not give money back, but only a gift card with the credit to spend in the same shop. Altough I can buy the Collector's Edition only in UK.

Anyway. It will work if I run Steam in London and register the key before coming back to Italy? Or it's necessary to register the key, install (or download from steam) the game, and run from UK?

escapehere
16th Aug 2011, 20:15
Maybe I'm overreacting, but I'd really like to know ONE SINGLE reason why the game activation has to be region locked or is advantageous for the consumer. Just one!

This is just another unnecessary DRM feature that nobody needs. It only adds to the frustration of the paying customer by making even the order process overly complicated.

There isn't any benefit whatsoever to the consumer, it is entirely for them. It is simply there so they can differentiate pricing in different market segments. It's an experiment, if they get away with it here without the EU stepping on their toes you'll start to see it appear more and more.

Baltar
16th Aug 2011, 20:15
I just cancelled my pre-order of the collectors edition since I can't activate my UK version where I live. Thanks Eidos.
Sure I could buy a different region version or resort to a digital copy, but for me, this is about principle.

Honest PC gamers have enough trouble with all the overzealous publishers forcing more and more outrageous DRMs on us. Remember UbiSofts recent escapades? Looking forward to Diablo3's online single player?
What we certainly don't need is yet another form of restriction to the games we buy.

I was really REALLY looking forward to DXHR, but I won't buy the game until I hear from Eidos/Square that the region lock is gone.

Maybe it's a "genius" plot to boost sales of digital versions, but I really don't care anymore.

If Eidos/Square decide to remove the region lock, I'll reconsider my purchase. But until then I guess I'll have to play through DX1 a couple more times.

QFT.

jaycw2309: Let's say someone preorders the CE from the UK, has it shipped to some other country like poland, russia, USA since CE isn't available in USA, and they didn't check the forms to find out about the region blocking garbage. Now let's say they open it, cant get it to run and try to return it and the store says "already opened products are exchange only" - Then what? Will Eidos give a unblocked key for those people or will eidos just say "Too bad SOL"?

If the response to that question is the later choice, then I guess That will be my response to preordering batman arkham city, tomb raider and hitman.. good job sir.

Might I add that Paradox and Sega does this region blocking rubbish also. I got screwed when I bought Majesty from the UK and had it shipped to the US since I wanted it on disc for collectors sake.. Had to convince paradox to give me a USA key to install it. When I asked SEGA about it so I can preorder total war grand master, they told me they were doing it and I promptly cancelled that order.

Funny thing is I asked about this a good few months back in the eidos forum and everyone was saying that PC games do not have region blocking, treating me as if I was some console n00b. Welph, Now I only hope people are more aware of it.

Vivanoxia
16th Aug 2011, 20:22
Such practices are illegal within the EU as they are in violation of the TFEU.
Or to put it in other words: It's not of your ******* business, where I buy my stuff within the European Union.

So, sooner or later someone will drag EIDOS to court and sue them for any dime they'd ever make within the EU using this sinister rip-off. And then good riddance to that SOB who came up with that idea.

Naekh
16th Aug 2011, 20:23
Could not agree more to that.

Baltar
16th Aug 2011, 20:25
Such practices are illegal within the EU as they are in violation of the TFEU.
Or to put it in other words: It's not of your ******* business, where I buy my stuff within the European Union.

So, sooner or later someone will drag EIDOS to court and sue them for any dime they'd ever make within the EU using this sinister rip-off. And then good riddance to that SOB who came up with that idea.

While we're at it can ya send some of that lawyer bait to valve HQ in the USA? Thanks!

Charadesmith
16th Aug 2011, 20:25
I just knew it that if something was gonna screw up this game's hype it would be on Square Enix. Their company is financially tanking and they keep getting worse

raz3r
16th Aug 2011, 20:39
The only reason that comes to my mind is that they want control the market and the price. Best (and cheaper) videogame online stores are in the UK and that is a fact. If they have other reasons I'd like to know. Anyway the problem is not the region lock, I can accept that if they warn us BEFORE stores ran out of copies and BEFORE people order hundred of copies. They even suggested us to buy on Shopto.net LOL. They were wrong in the first place by denying the CE in the USA and most of EU countries (like Italy where only God knows why the CE is not available for PC).

Geralt z Rivii
16th Aug 2011, 20:42
Is there a precedent for this type of restriction UK-rest of Europe?

Charadesmith
16th Aug 2011, 20:43
I don't think so. I've imported games from the UK for years and never had any issues.

Naekh
16th Aug 2011, 20:44
I contacted support to get an official statement on why. Well I expect an answer like : screw you, but hey, let's see.

raz3r
16th Aug 2011, 20:49
We need the attention of media like PCGamer or RockPaperShotgun, they may help us or at least gain an answer. Eidos won't change anything at this point, game is gone gold and we're closer to the release so even if they change their mind they have no time. I guess that Square Enix should contact every UK retailer and tell them to warn buyers about this problem. They deserve at least an email or something like that. They must have the time to move or cancel the preorder.

FuuKuy
16th Aug 2011, 20:50

WHAT?! It's not fair. I have the RETAIL Augmented Edition preordered on amazon.co.uk BECAUSE the Augmented Edition for PC is not distributed in my country.... :(

We are in a global market, why cannot buy the game elsewhere?

Should I cancel my preorder?

Naekh
16th Aug 2011, 20:55
WHAT?! It's not fair. I have the RETAIL Augmented Edition preordered on amazon.co.uk BECAUSE the Augmented Edition for PC is not distributed in my country.... :(

We are in a global market, why cannot buy the game elsewhere?

Should I cancel my preorder?

Amazon.co.uk says that it should be shipped on the 25/08. Let's wait a little. BUt unfortunately if you don't plan to use a proxy then I'm afraid that you'll have to do so, unless you wish to have a fancy useless box...

guillaume.oudin
16th Aug 2011, 21:06
I might be wrong but I'm quite sure that the Steam requirement made this region-locking thing possible, or at least way easier for them to implement. Because it's the first time I hear of a distinction between UK and the rest of Europe. To me that alone says why they did it : it is cheaper in UK, so people that are aware of it import it from UK.

What I find very unfair in this : most of the people who will buy the game will do so in their country and won't even be aware of this region-lock thingy. So in the end, who is penalized : the true fan that followed and supported the development from the beginning and pre-ordered the game. What a nice move.

Charadesmith
16th Aug 2011, 21:08
Correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't the use of a proxy possibly expose your steam login data?

satan_shark
16th Aug 2011, 21:11
They do not give money back, but only a gift card with the credit to spend in the same shop. Altough I can buy the Collector's Edition only in UK.

Anyway. It will work if I run Steam in London and register the key before coming back to Italy? Or it's necessary to register the key, install (or download from steam) the game, and run from UK?
I should also ask a friend in UK to register it on my account if i shouldn't???

Please help!

Zorvan
16th Aug 2011, 21:14
Correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't the use of a proxy possibly expose your steam login data?

Just using the internet itself exposes your steam login. Packet sniffers, for instance.

Also, you can be banned from Steam if they discover you are using a proxy.

Fluffis
16th Aug 2011, 21:20
I'm not going to mince words about this: This is a dick move, Squeenix. There are people who have had a pre-order from the UK (I was one of them) since late 2010. Now, just days before release, you decide that we're not allowed to do that?

Trust me: you are going to get some really bad press over a stunt like this. A company that goes in and divides up countries in the EU, who have free trade? Do you have any clue what this kind of thing could lead to?

typical
16th Aug 2011, 21:28
Only sure thing is:

customers never asked for this.

Salah-ad Din
16th Aug 2011, 21:33
I'm not going to mince words about this: This is a dick move, Squeenix. There are people who have had a pre-order from the UK (I was one of them) since late 2010. Now, just days before release, you decide that we're not allowed to do that?

Trust me: you are going to get some really bad press over a stunt like this. A company that goes in and divides up countries in the EU, who have free trade? Do you have any clue what this kind of thing could lead to?

I hope it leads to some seriously bad press and some even more serious cut in sales. :thumb:

guillaume.oudin
16th Aug 2011, 21:35
Yeah well...this is a time of great innovation

Anyway, it seems that some store, especially those selling digital copies, are getting region free keys.

Like this one : http://www.intkeys.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=74&products_id=299

JakBot
16th Aug 2011, 21:35
This is completely unacceptable. I live in Finland and constantly order games from the UK/Germany as especially the special editions are unavailable here. I have never heard of such thing, never met such thing on any of the games I've bought. To skip how unbelievably dickish move this is, why isn't this reported anywhere? The Amazon site mentions nothing of this, how am I as a customer supposed to know of this? Had I not stumbled upon it on another forum, I would've never known.

The game is one and a half weeks away and NOW you report of something like this? There is absolutely no way for me to get the collector's edition I had pre-ordered the very day it became available. It has been sold out everywhere and I even doubt there were any of them in my country to begin with.

This issue must be solved at once since this is quite clearly a violation of EU laws. I'm feeling so angry that I wouldn't hesitate to take this to the CJEU and be done with it. I hate it when greedy publishers make games that people have spent years to make, not worth buying.

uberajnn
16th Aug 2011, 21:37

Never seen it. Publishing and distribution at Square-Enix has some serious derp-factor going on. I'm going to attempt to use a proxy for activation. If it doesn't work, I've already paid for the game and will use other means *cough* to get the game on my computer. What are they hoping to accomplish?

Dr_Bob
16th Aug 2011, 21:38
I hope it leads to some seriously bad press and some even more serious cut in sales. :thumb:

That's not a nice thing to wish for.

KingNL
16th Aug 2011, 21:38
Just saw this posted on /v/

typical
16th Aug 2011, 21:42
This is completely unacceptable. I live in Finland and constantly order games from the UK/Germany as especially the special editions are unavailable here. I have never heard of such thing, never met such thing on any of the games I've bought. To skip how unbelievably dickish move this is, why isn't this reported anywhere? The Amazon site mentions nothing of this, how am I as a customer supposed to know of this? Had I not stumbled upon it on another forum, I would've never known.

The game is one and a half weeks away and NOW you report of something like this? There is absolutely no way for me to get the collector's edition I had pre-ordered the very day it became available. It has been sold out everywhere and I even doubt there were any of them in my country to begin with. [...]

This issue must be solved at once and since this is quite clearly a violation of EU laws. I'm feeling so angry that I wouldn't hesitate to take this to the CJEU and be done with it. I hate it when greedy publishers make games that people have spent years to make, not worth buying.

This.

Like this one : http://www.intkeys.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=74&products_id=299
I don't know. It says:

All keys are scanned from new retail boxes.
so I'm not sure about it.

KingNL
16th Aug 2011, 21:46
This has been done with a lot of games before with steam, people would buy cheap cdkeys from russian websites and play them in other countries (western-europe, USA)

Zorvan
16th Aug 2011, 21:51
The main problem is Square-Enix really has no experience with the PC gaming world. They try to treat the PC as they would a console ( like the region coding thing ). It's one reason their latest mmo, FFXIV, is sitting in the virtual crapper right now, costing them money instead of making it.

iNeedzHelp
16th Aug 2011, 21:55
Russia is not EU.

Congrats on being such dicks, Squeenix, I just cancelled my preorder. Learn how to treat your customers, and perhaps you'll learn how not to lose them.

guillaume.oudin
16th Aug 2011, 21:57
I'm quoting this from here (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2061240&page=2) on the official Steam forums.

Basically it explains EU customers rights when purchasing abroad.

See below: (only applys companys that are located inside EU member state)

Buying services:
http://ec.europa.eu/youreurope/citiz....htm?profile=0

"For these types of services, and others, you have the right to buy from a service provider located in another EU country without:

- having the seller refuse to sell to you simply because you live in a different EU country

- price discrimination
http://ec.europa.eu/youreurope/citiz....htm?profile=0

-- Equal prices for foreigners

As an EU national, you cannot be charged a higher price than local residents when buying products or services anywhere else in the EU, unless the price difference is justified."

---

UK probably has lowest game prices in EU and many imports games from UK or buy digital (download) games from UK stores.

I was thinking couple days ago if publisher starts using region locks inside EU because UK has low game prices and what would that mean for EU customers and is that allowed.

They might be breaking EU "rules" if they do so because they are selling product that is only being usable only in certain EU member state and same time they are forcing companys that are located inside EU member state breaking those EU "rules" if those companys sells that product.

Those who live inside EU should make complaint to European Commission if publisher starts using region locks for games inside EU and Square Enix have started to use. Make a complaint and wait for answer.

Main problem with company that is located outside of EU is they see EU as multiple different market areas and not as one big single market area.

EU customers sees EU as one big market area and company that is located inside EU "have" to see EU as one big market area and offer same product at same prices for EU customers (there are some situations that doesnt have to meet those rules).

This guy make sense.

Also :

I hate it when greedy publishers make games that people have spent years to make, not worth buying.

Couldn't agree more. That makes me even more sad as I really think the EM team did an outstanding job with the game.

The True Turrican
16th Aug 2011, 22:03
We need the attention of media like PCGamer or RockPaperShotgun, they may help us or at least gain an answer.

Done.

raz3r
16th Aug 2011, 22:03
Just saw this posted on /v/
Link? :D

Dr_Bob
16th Aug 2011, 22:07
While this may be against EU regulations, please stop bastardising Eidos Montreal - they are just the developers.

You should be focusing on Square Enix.

Please, just stop with all this negativity against Eidos Montreal.

SimplexPL
16th Aug 2011, 22:07
While I can sort-of understand region locking of Russian version (becasue it wil be much cheaper so they want to avoid people in the west taking advantage of that fact), it absolutely BOGGLES MY MIND why on Earth the UK version is to be region locked. It's not like it's cheaper from the others, right?
I really hope someone takes the trouble of proving that this DICK MOVE on Square Enix part is against some UE's free trade mumb-jumbo, and SUES THEIR ASSES.

Fluffis
16th Aug 2011, 22:11
Question for any of the "insiders":

Did you guys even ask the legal department to see if this is allowed?

Edit: You see; Free Trade is kind of a biggie in the EU. It's basically what the whole thing is built around.

SageSavage
16th Aug 2011, 22:13
I just dropped the German magazine Gamestar a line about the region lock. Might not have any effect at all but maybe you people should do the same with your magazines, too.

Naekh
16th Aug 2011, 22:22
I warned Lewie P from SavyGamer, he tweeted about it, he's also writing for RPS, I don't expect him to write there but some people know. Considering he's got some followers, that may warn some poeple.

raz3r
16th Aug 2011, 22:28
Done.
Link this thread so they will read our opinion :)

hatim
16th Aug 2011, 22:44
Suppose I buy a UK copy while I'm in the UK and activate it on Steam without installing the game. I later go the the US and install the game on my desktop (different computer). Will I be fine?
I.E: Does activation mean the the initial activation on Steam or every time I stall the game?

Fluffis
16th Aug 2011, 22:45
Is it just wishful thinking from me, that the Squeenix legal department are running around like a bunch of headless chicken right now, panicking?

Or are they simply laughing at us, and not giving a toss?

Suppose I buy a UK copy while I'm in the UK and activate it on Steam without installing the game. I later go the the US and install the game on my desktop (different computer). Will I be fine?

As far as jaycw2309 could tell us, yes you will.

The True Turrican
16th Aug 2011, 22:50

This right here.

Square Enix, please re-arrange your current agreement with Steam!
Not only are you treading thin legal ice (TFEU), but also you are punishing paying customers compared to people getting it illegally, indirectly forcing them to rather do the latter.
Although obviously assumed otherwise, not everyone has a DSL flatrate. Are these customers supposed to pay for traffic caused by the download of additional language packs if they don't want a crappy localized version? These news will undoubtly result in a wave of preorder cancellations which will in turn result in profit minimization for you. After all, it is us who pay for your daily bread and you mistreat us like that...

Petition anyone? Pretty pleaseee?

satan_shark
16th Aug 2011, 22:53

The game is one and a half weeks away and NOW you report of something like this? There is absolutely no way for me to get the collector's edition I had pre-ordered the very day it became available. It has been sold out everywhere and I even doubt there were any of them in my country to begin with.

This issue must be solved at once since this is quite clearly a violation of EU laws. I'm feeling so angry that I wouldn't hesitate to take this to the CJEU and be done with it. I hate it when greedy publishers make games that people have spent years to make, not worth buying.
Same thing in Italy.
There is No Collector's Edition Available for PC. Halifax imports from UK Only the PS3 version of the game and Sells it at 150€ (50€ more than the international full-price).

While I can sort-of understand region locking of Russian version (becasue it wil be much cheaper so they want to avoid people in the west taking advantage of that fact), it absolutely BOGGLES MY MIND why on Earth the UK version is to be region locked. It's not like it's cheaper from the others, right?
I really hope someone takes the trouble of proving that this DICK MOVE on Square Enix part is against some UE's free trade mumb-jumbo, and SUES THEIR ASSES.
It has no sense at all. Beacause Online Keys are Region-Free and costs less than 30€ (I've found also at 22€!)

I just dropped the German magazine Gamestar a line about the region lock. Might not have any effect at all but maybe you people should do the same with your magazines, too.
I've talked with Head Directors of the two main Italian Magazine: The Games Machine, and Giochi per il mio Computer. They where almost astonished from this news.
P.S. There is no SquareEnix Stand at the Colony GamesCon to set on fire tomorrow!

hashi
16th Aug 2011, 22:58
Oh well I bought the Australian copy so should be fine. However, I did import L4D2 from the UK and that worked fine. The australian version had all the violence (and fun) cut from the game, but the UK one had everything in it. And I was able to play on Australian servers too.

typical
16th Aug 2011, 23:05
From NeoGAF:

This is a clearly an attempt by S-E to restrict competition inside Europe and force people to buy a more expensive version of the game locally. Which I'm pretty sure is illegal.
I'm sending an email to the European Comission for them to further investigate. Feel free to contact them as well if you're concerned.

Here (http://ec.europa.eu/competition/consumers/contacts_en.html).

Petition anyone? Pretty pleaseee?
Rather than a (useless) petition, I think it would be better to report the case through the link in the above quote. Sad to recur to this, but.. we are customers before fans.

The True Turrican
16th Aug 2011, 23:08
Since -=fox=- already informed GS, I mailed the competition.
Let's see who's faster tomorrow - GameStar or PC Games. Based on experience, my bet is on the PC Games guys, though.

satan_shark
16th Aug 2011, 23:10
I've found a problem like this happened in the recent past.

Sorry for Eidos ed SquareEnix this Region Locking is totally illegal.
Some times ago the Apple tryed to Isolate iTunes UK from the rest of Europe. The practice was instantly stopped from European Antitrust Commission...

The True Turrican
16th Aug 2011, 23:16
And @ typical: You are correct, sir. EU commision does build more pressure than a (usually useless) petition. on the other hand, unlike said commission, Square Enix probably don't have to deal with hundreds if not thousands of complaints per day and therefore a potential reaction by them is not as likely to take a year or more.

oceanclub
16th Aug 2011, 23:36
This is ridiculous. I live in Dublin and order most of my games from the UK. As the crow flies. the UK is nearer than other parts of Ireland! I'm cancelling my preorder, but do not plan to buy the game until the price in Ireland has dropped to the UK price. Congrats on losing a sale.

EDIT: No, seriously. The more I think about this, the more annoyed I get. I preordered this game from Amazon UK back in _December 2010_ to show my support for it. Now Eidos turns around and sticks their fingers up at their customers. And you wait until a _week_ before release before you decide to pull this little stunt? What absolute disregard for your paying customers.

P.

Fluffis
16th Aug 2011, 23:38
And @ typical: You are correct, sir. EU commision builds more pressure than a (usually useless) petition. on the other hand, unlike said commission, Square Enix probably don't have to deal with hundreds if not thousands of complaints per day and therefor a potential reaction by them is not as likely to take a year or more.

Oh, I'm thinking the lack of official input the last hour-or-so, means that Squeenix are aware of the situation.

sajin
16th Aug 2011, 23:48
Since -=fox=- already informed GS, I mailed the competition.
Let's see who's faster tomorrow - GameStar or PC Games. Based on experience, my bet is on the PC Games guys, though.

Now its Gamester, PC Games or 4players.

Hope SE find some resolution to this bogus, i would really hate to cancel my preorder :(

slamelov
17th Aug 2011, 00:03
May be Eidos do not know that here, in Europe, we have a common market and we can buy anything we want into the European Union. I can buy an UK product from Spain, and a german could buy spanish wine from Germany. That's the European Union and it's not legal what Eidos want to do. Eidos will be sued for that, of course Ill do it if I can't play with my preorder made from Play.com. Who do you think you are?. You are not over the law. You can not limit commerce into the European Union.

Charadesmith
17th Aug 2011, 00:29
Stop saying Eidos, it's Square Enix.

Ashpolt
17th Aug 2011, 00:31
Guys, I'd hold off on cancelling your pre-orders for the moment, give it a couple of days at least. It sounds to me like this may all just be a misunderstanding - if region-locking within Europe is indeed illegal as you're all saying (can't say i'm aware of it, but I have no reason to doubt you) then I'm sure someone within Square Enix / Eidos knows about it and wouldn't have let the idea get any further than its initial mention. These kind of things simply don't get overlooked on a corporate level. They may get overlooked on an individual level, however, which makes me think that jaycw2309 may simply have got his wires crossed.

Give EM/SE a day or so to get everything 100% confirmed and issue an official official statement. If they haven't done so in a day or two, cancel your preorders then - you don't want to lose out on your low prices only to find out later it was all over a mistake.

Kivan
17th Aug 2011, 00:49
I wonder how long the support page mentioning the region locking has sat there before we all found out about it.

Golden
17th Aug 2011, 01:41
THE QUESTION IS: Will there be DLC compability? So if i order from UK and get it activated and play it then in Germany, is it possible to buy DLCs etc? Can i buy from Germany Store then or do i need to purchase from UK Steamstore? Oo

The True Turrican
17th Aug 2011, 01:55
THE QUESTION IS: Will there be DLC compability? So if i order from UK and get it activated and play it then in Germany, is it possible to buy DLCs etc? Can i buy from Germany Store then or do i need to purchase from UK Steamstore? Oo

Also, if I buy and activate a retail box version of the Augmented Edition in the UK, will I be able to activate the codes included for the Tactical Enhancement Pack and the Explosive Mission Pack once I'm back home (outside of the UK)?

thanos
17th Aug 2011, 02:10
This is what happens when you hire two bit lawyers,who more than likely printed their creds off the net,political screw ups and violations,ticked off customers and so on.

tZer
17th Aug 2011, 05:22

Only with the case of the Apple iTunes store, and the practice was PROMPTLY dropped.

It would be a shame if the success of an awesome game like this would be hindered by such a RIDICULOUS, STUPID and ILLEGAL move by Square-Enix.

Senka
17th Aug 2011, 05:24
So assuming that this, despite being illegal or whatever does continue, would I have to activate my retail UK copy using a VPN of some sort before I could use it in Australia?

Solid_1723
17th Aug 2011, 05:25
So assuming that this, despite being illegal or whatever does continue, would I have to activate my retail UK copy using a VPN of some sort before I could use it in Australia?

Yes.