PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Protagonist?

Nexus_6
15th Aug 2011, 23:19
Out of all three games, which protagonist(JC, Alex, or Adam) do you like the most? Personally, JC is one of my favorite video game characters ever. However, after watching gameplay from HR, Adam seems to have a level of depth and intricacy which neither JC nor Alex ever achieved. I love his wryness and brooding cynicism.

15th Aug 2011, 23:23
I'll let you know after I play Human Revolution.
It's not Alex, though.

Charadesmith
15th Aug 2011, 23:23
I'd say Adam, seems more developed, interesting and moldable to your choices

pha
15th Aug 2011, 23:24
Alex D. is like a schoolboy/girl compared to Adam and Jaycee, that is for sure.

Dead-Eye
15th Aug 2011, 23:40
Alex Denton was better as a girl, it was much more believable. The one-liners didn't come off so cheesy.

However, obviously JC is superior to all the others, because he can swim.

Alarei
15th Aug 2011, 23:56
I'll let you know after I play the game, but Adam's rough/gruff voice is awesome to listen to, makes him appear more bad ass than he actually is.

KingNL
16th Aug 2011, 00:35
Adam Jensen all the way man, no way can a protagonist be more cooler than this guy.
Even people on other forums told me they think of me as a badass because I use him as my avatar :D

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/2340/unled3ayo.jpg

Redem
16th Aug 2011, 01:26
Adam Jensen all the way man, no way can a protagonist be more cooler than this guy.
Even people on other forums told me they think of me as a badass because I use him as my avatar :D

Adam Jensen so cool his sunglass were built into him

Shralla
16th Aug 2011, 01:53
Nobody likes Alex, nobody has played enough of Human Revolution to say Adam, so the only possible answer is JC.

Stupid question.

Charadesmith
16th Aug 2011, 01:54
Nobody likes Alex, nobody has played enough of Human Revolution to say Adam, so the only possible answer is JC.

Stupid question.

Doesn't take a lot of HR play to like him more than JC. JC wasn't very good

KingNL
16th Aug 2011, 02:27
Doesn't take a lot of HR play to like him more than JC. JC wasn't very good

My God JC a bomb!
A bomb!

thanos
16th Aug 2011, 03:45
So far its gotta be Adam for me, seeing as i have played a slight bit of the second Deus ex,I like the current one best.

Darthassin
16th Aug 2011, 05:23
After playing a bit of HR, I must say: I am Adam Jensen!

itsonyourhead
16th Aug 2011, 05:28
I appreciate JC for the icon that he is. I detest Alex, and I'm afraid Jensen, while supposing to be "deep", isn't quite going to come across as smooth and believable thanks to the voice-work of Toufexis and the animation work by EM.

Jordasm
16th Aug 2011, 08:07
I quite like Adam and JC, Alex D however was rubbish, ESPECIALLY the male version, female was alright.

Biggus
16th Aug 2011, 12:26
Adam so far

CoDEllite
16th Aug 2011, 12:33
David Sariff

ZakKa89
16th Aug 2011, 12:43
Adam

Dr_Bob
16th Aug 2011, 13:15
Jensen.

Pretentious Old Man.
16th Aug 2011, 13:26
JC all the way. You admittedly had to read some papers and hack some computers to get all of JC Denton's backstory, and then use liberal imagination to make up the rest, but I liked that. I hate it when games try and TELL you anything, because frankly its rarely the brightest storytelling minds that work on them. I am much more intrigued by emergent narratives than by told ones, because frankly no game (with the possible exception of PS:T) tells a story that I find remotely engaging. Maybe by comparison to the drivel that passes for novels nowadays they can, I gave up on most of them long ago, but by and large if I want an engaging narrative, if I wanted to be told a story, I'd go straight to someone Russian and long dead. When someone asks me for my experiences of Deus Ex, I usually reply to the effect of "well, I put some TNT on a wheelie bin, set it in motion and then shot it as it got near some goons" rather than anything that Ion Storm explicitly intended.

I know Pinky Powers would disagree with me vehemently here (on both my opinion on game storytelling and my contempt for modern literature on the whole), but sadly he isn't here to put his side across. Just thought I'd shout out on his behalf, since I know how much he'd love to put his case across on this one.

But yes, to answer your question, I have bags of time with JC to reminisce about what I managed to pull off with him. Adam, not so much. I only played the you-know-what briefly, and not for enough time to get many emergent solutions out of it. So JC, then, but its not really a fair comparison at this stage.

The_Audiophile
16th Aug 2011, 14:45
From what has been shown, and what I've seen in the comics, I gotta go with Adam. He's been through rough times but he still keeps his composure, and se seems like an introverted guy that keeps his feelings to himself.

AlexOfSpades
16th Aug 2011, 18:09
JC Denton.

His cold, serious voice. "What a shame."

Its obvious that he doesnt give a damn to anyone, he's there to do whats right. He's the highly intellectual, super trained hot ass ninja machine. I'm sorry, how could Adam beat him?

There's also an easier way to measure their awesomeness by checking the Trenchcoat Meter.

ALEX DENTON Trenchcoat Meter:
[-----------]

Never uses trenchcoat. Awesomeness value: 1

ADAM JENSEN Trenchcoat Meter:
[xxxx-----]

Sometimes uses trenchcoats. Awesomeness value: 2

JC DENTON Trenchcoat Meter:
[xxxxxxxx]

Always uses trenchcoats. Even when sleeping. Even when naked. Awesomeness value: >9000

Therefore JC wins the fight

Nexus_6
16th Aug 2011, 21:58

Stupid question.

I think we've been given enough insight into HR to know what Adam is generally like--not in the way that we may intimately know Alex and JC, but enough to interpret what his personality will be like. The majority of us here have played a little bit of DX:HR, and have had an ample taste of Adam's character.

Stupid answer.

I wouldn't necessarily call JC a bad character. He didn't have the depth of contemporary game protagonists, but he did have an interesting personality. He was serious and rather somber, but he certainly had a streak of sarcastic cynicism that gave him a level of personality that not many characters in video games possessed at the time.

Romeo
17th Aug 2011, 01:05
I'd say thus far, Adam has the most potential. I never liked JC or Alex though, neither of them had any personality at all. Fantastic games, forgettable protagonists...

thanos
17th Aug 2011, 01:10
Would vote for Romeo but he doesnt count.

itsonyourhead
17th Aug 2011, 01:27
I'd say thus far, Adam has the most potential. I never liked JC or Alex though, neither of them had any personality at all. Fantastic games, forgettable protagonists...

I think that was half the point. The idea was to provide a pure avatar for exploration in the simulation (PLAYER = JC) with some characteristics and background in an emergent style for position within the world and narrative.

JC? forgettable? You don't forget JC, JC forgets you... all over the pavement.