PDA

View Full Version : Xbox controller for PC version?

fdemar
15th Aug 2011, 22:13
Although I know many folks prefer to play this game with a keyboard and mouse, I prefer a controller. Does anyone know if the Xbox 360 controller is supported? The manual details the control scheme for the keyboard only....Thanks for any help!

pha
15th Aug 2011, 22:17
Short answer: Yes.

sajin
15th Aug 2011, 22:17
Although I know many folks prefer to play this game with a keyboard and mouse, I prefer a controller. Does anyone know if the Xbox 360 controller is supported? The manual details the control scheme for the keyboard only....Thanks for any help!

During the promo event in Germany, i played the PC version with a 360 controller, so yes you can :). (however, why anyone would want that is beyond me :D)

fdemar
15th Aug 2011, 22:20
Great, thanks! Out of curiosity, what do you prefer about using a keyboard and mouse? Maybe because I was raised on console systems, but I find that layout quite difficult.

Skillet
15th Aug 2011, 22:26
During the promo event in Germany, i played the PC version with a 360 controller, so yes you can :). (however, why anyone would want that is beyond me :D)

Just to interject...

I see a lot of people saying that a mouse and keyboard is somehow better than a controller. Sure, it may be more accurate which would matter in a game like Shadowrun where anyone with a mouse and keyboard has an advantage on someone using a controller. But when it comes right down to it, it's all about personal preference.

And personally, I would use a controller for the same reasons that I buy games for a console instead of my computer.... I would much rather sit in my big comfy chair, in front of my 52 inch TV relaxing and holding a controller.... than sit in my back breaking computer chair hunched over a keyboard and mouse.

But that's MY preference. When it comes to single player games, whatever my preference is, happens to be superior in my eyes. But like the OP said, I am curious as to why you think a keyboard and mouse is somehow better.

Back on topic... the question was already answered, but I would like to note that switching between a controller and mouse/keyboard layout on the fly is possible on the PC version. It is actually easier to hack with a mouse than with the slowly moving cursor the controller layout provides. My one and only gripe about the controller layout....

Dr_Bob
15th Aug 2011, 22:28
(however, why anyone would want that is beyond me :D)

Because they want to.

than sit in my back breaking computer chair hunched over a keyboard and mouse.

If you're sitting like that, then you're doing it wrong.

pha
15th Aug 2011, 22:36
It all comes to personal preference. fdemar's question is answered, try not to turn this into another control debate.

sajin
15th Aug 2011, 22:50
Great, thanks! Out of curiosity, what do you prefer about using a keyboard and mouse? Maybe because I was raised on console systems, but I find that layout quite difficult.

I don't think mouse+keyboard is better than controllers in general: For jump&runs, racing games and games like street fighter, i actually prefer controllers. For space simulations / flight simulations, its joystick & keyboard. For RTS, First Person Shooters and many RPGs, mouse & keyboard. Reason is better fine control and precision: unless you use an eyetracker, the mouse is still the fastest way to focus on a specific point on the screen. Mouse and Keyboard because Mouse alone doesn't have enough controls & shortcuts (for first person action games, at least).

If you are used to controllers, you can certainly use them in a non-competitive games like DX:HR IMO and be good enough. However, the control scheme in most first person games is pretty much the same today: WSAD for movement, mouse for exact direction, mouse1 for fire. So its not just for one game -> IMO makes sense to learn it.

It all comes to personal preference. fdemar's question is answered, try not to turn this into another control debate.
If a control scheme is inherently better suited for a specific task, both choices don't have the same value. Usually, if you say "it all comes to personal preference", it means there is no other criterion speaking for one choice or the other. This isn't the case here. Of course, you can still chose to put you personal preference above all other considerations. :)

Because they want to.
People usually want things for a reason, right ? ^^

Fox89
15th Aug 2011, 23:57

I used to be like you. I was a pure console gamer (mainly out of necessity as I never had good PCs in my youth). But I have since learned the godly ways of the PC and never looked back. At least for games like Deus Ex, or other FPS and Strategy games.

Console controllers have certain advantages over keyboard. Analog sticks are very good for precise movement, for example. This gives them the edge over mouse and keyboard when it comes to action adventure games (Tomb Raider), or sports games, beat-em-ups and various others (stealth stuff like MGS for example). But for an FPS, the precision aiming of the mouse is so much more natural and enjoyable in my experience.

Deus Ex in particular is MADE for the keyboard and mouse. Not only is it a shooter that inherently benefits from precision, but it is an RPG. The keyboard has many more keys than a gamepad, which of course allows for many more keybinds and thus more controls at your finger tips. Take switching between weapons: on a console you need to hold a trigger and use a slightly clumsy radial menu to quickly select weapons. Whereas with keyboard and mouse you simply press the numbers 1 through 0 and you instantly switch to the weapon assigned to that button.

Mouse control also allows for more efficiency when it comes to dragging and dropping. Helpful for inventory management or controlling stuff like the hacking minigame.

pha
16th Aug 2011, 00:01
If a controle scheme is inherently better suited for a specific task, both choices don't have the same value.

And they don't have to.

I can't imagine playing Deus Ex game with a controller instead of keyboard and mouse, but some others are much more comfortable with a controller. It's a single player game, and having a "disadvantage" against "opponents" is out of question.

fdemar
16th Aug 2011, 00:07
This has been interesting to read. As several people have said, it ultimately comes down to personal preference and I agree, there are games that are better suited with one formart over the other. Still, I'm glad to see developers are giving people a choice to choose for themselves.

Riddik116
16th Aug 2011, 00:20
And they don't have to.

I can't imagine playing Deus Ex game with a controller instead of keyboard and mouse, but some others are much more comfortable with a controller. It's a single player game, and having a "disadvantage" against "opponents" is out of question.

just to add to this a bit, ppl have preferences by how good they are with something compared to another. Ive grown up playing on a controller but i do play some pc games, but even tho key board and mouse is more precise, im still more accurate using the controller just because im more use to it than mouse and key board.

sajin
16th Aug 2011, 00:53
And they don't have to.

I agree. The OP is using a PC already, has both options and asked for my reasons to prefer mouse & keyboard, so i tried to elaborate a bit why i think DX:HR might be a good game to get into a second control scheme. But it's not necessary.

ZakKa89
16th Aug 2011, 01:24
Although I know many folks prefer to play this game with a keyboard and mouse I prefer a controller.

http://i.imgur.com/KS783.jpg

I prefer a controller.
http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/8972/aj2g.jpg

prefer...controller.
http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/1089/aj3h.jpg

http://www.maniacworld.com/Tsar-Nuclear-Explosion.jpg

CoDEllite
16th Aug 2011, 03:08
Zakka dude that was fraking great ! U just made my day

thanos
16th Aug 2011, 03:49
Since we are debateing controllers and all. I have to call this one in. An old xbox title called steel battlion. which cost even used over a hundred bucks and came with a controller so big you needed a card table to set it on,they even released a cockpit chair just for it. Now debate That!

SladeTeck
16th Aug 2011, 03:52
Since we are debateing controllers and all. I have to call this one in. An old xbox title called steel battlion. which cost even used over a hundred bucks and came with a controller so big you needed a card table to set it on,they even released a cockpit chair just for it. Now debate That!

I played that! It wasn't bad though sometimes annoying. Forgetting the controls will likely get you killed. In fact, a friend of mine still has the game and controller set in working order.

thanos
16th Aug 2011, 03:53
He wanna sell it ? Cause I want a copy of it.

SladeTeck
16th Aug 2011, 03:54
He wanna sell it ? Cause I want a copy of it.

Nah, sometimes he gets it back out and plays it. You know, they are making a new one for Kinect, I would assume they make it for normal 360 as well. Hopefully with a new controller.

thanos
16th Aug 2011, 03:57
You know a game has just got to be interesting if they custom make a controller for it,and I will be privateing messageing you Slade,I have questions about that game, and would prefer to not off topic anymore than I have.