Dr_Bob
15th Aug 2011, 11:36
Nice find.

thales100
15th Aug 2011, 11:43
Thanks !

MaceUk
15th Aug 2011, 11:57
I see the takedown key has changed to Q, and T has now become 'Track and follow', sounds interesting. Wonder if it's like the system in Rainbow 6: Vegas 2 where you can assign a tango as a target?

DisaFear
15th Aug 2011, 12:09
CHEERS!
Just adds fuels to the fire before it explodes!

fchopin
15th Aug 2011, 12:41
I don’t understand the cover swap, do you just press space button while holding down the right mouse button?

Charadesmith
15th Aug 2011, 12:45
If you're cover is set to hold (can be changed to toggle) you hold right mouse button and tap space

tZer
15th Aug 2011, 13:00
Wow, no word about the augmentations in the manual, interesting. Also, b&w only?

fchopin
15th Aug 2011, 13:04
If you're cover is set to hold (can be changed to toggle) you hold right mouse button and tap space

Thanks.

The77s
15th Aug 2011, 13:12
Nice find man, thanks.

Dr_Bob
15th Aug 2011, 13:54
I don’t understand the cover swap, do you just press space button while holding down the right mouse button?

Tapping space moves to next cover, holding it rounds corners.

KingNL
15th Aug 2011, 14:06
Oh wow very nice, thanks!

3nails4you
15th Aug 2011, 14:22
Used to be the augs took up F1 through F12...seems like a shame to just use the first 4.

Charadesmith
15th Aug 2011, 14:24
Well a lot of the augs are triggered by different things/buttons, so i'd expect less F butons to be necessary

Dr_Bob
15th Aug 2011, 14:32
Used to be the augs took up F1 through F12...seems like a shame to just use the first 4.

There are only four manual augmentations in this game - cloak, Typhoon, SMART Vision and silent movement.

Everything else is automated, e.g. the strength aug activates whenever you pick up a heavy object and deactivates when you put it down.

It's better than the original.

MaceUk
15th Aug 2011, 14:53
Wow, no word about the augmentations in the manual, interesting. Also, b&w only?

Just be glad we have a manual these days! I remember when you would get a thick manual especially with flight sims, ah those were the days :)

mitch82cc
15th Aug 2011, 14:58
I for one am VERY happy that the majority of augs are always on - or simply activate when needed. This is a very nice touch!

Charadesmith
15th Aug 2011, 15:29
I also think that's better. But be ready for a lot of "omg dumbed down" comments

Solid_1723
15th Aug 2011, 15:39
Just be glad we have a manual these days! I remember when you would get a thick manual especially with flight sims, ah those were the days :)

The Falcon 4.0 handbook comes to mind.:D

Back in those days the hanbook for Deus Ex:HR would probably have included character descriptions, background information about the major companies and PMCs, weapon and aug descriptions along with some statistics, a timeline with fictional world events leading up to the time depicted in the game, etc etc etc.

Well, I guess the industry has grown up, right?

vallux
15th Aug 2011, 15:50
Rockstar seems to make decent manuals. I love those fake travel guides that come with the newer Grand Theft Autos

tZer
15th Aug 2011, 15:52

I still have my 200 Page manual with spiral binding for SimEarth.

thanos
15th Aug 2011, 17:15
Short and to the point

Kiyanavasala
15th Aug 2011, 17:19
I still have both manuals that came with my purchase of the strategy game "Stars!".

Well, that's not *quite* true. One is an actual manual--a beast of a thing, it is, but sadly no page numbers--it's so large and in-depth it has section reference numbers on each page instead.

The second--the size of the largest other game manuals I can possibly remember--is "simply" a tech tree reference guide and ship schematic/design details. For everything.

Both have pictures where appropriate (Almost everywhere).

Such a pity the game doesn't work on 64-bit (Just like another of my old favourites, Castle of the Winds) D:

DXeXodus
15th Aug 2011, 18:22
I do miss the good old days of game boxing. Nice big boxes with tons of stuff inside. And those thick manuals that made for good reading.

thanos
15th Aug 2011, 18:29
And I miss the days when it took me a week or better to beat a game.

Say DXeXodus how'd you get that in the fresh! tag under you id?

NKD
15th Aug 2011, 18:36
I do miss the good old days of game boxing. Nice big boxes with tons of stuff inside. And those thick manuals that made for good reading.

The rainforests don't miss it :P

Solid_1723
15th Aug 2011, 18:38
Say DXeXodus how'd you get that in the fresh! tag under you id?

You realize he's a mod, right?;)

They have superpowers!

thanos
15th Aug 2011, 18:39
Yes I know that,i`m not blind. I was reffering to the part under the id, where yours says gamer and mine says new player,not the mod title.

Shralla
15th Aug 2011, 18:40
Right mouse button for cover? What?

First thing I'm doing is changing cover to a toggle, and changing the button to something on the keyboard, making iron sights RMB, and grenade middle mouse button.

Charadesmith
15th Aug 2011, 18:46
Right mouse button for cover on hold actually works pretty well IMO. Only probably is that you have something else for aiming down the sight, but in stealth playthroughs you won't be doing much of that.

I definitely will not change it toggle...just like ADS, i usually prefer hold.

Irate_Iguana
15th Aug 2011, 19:24
seems like a shame to just use the first 4.

The console didn't have more buttons available to assign to active augs. Just look at the earliest pics showing the HUD. The d-pad arrangement for the consoles was already visible.

pha
15th Aug 2011, 20:08
^ 4 is blatantly a limit because of D-pads, but I found this system much more convenient than manually activating every single aug with the F keys. They could have also added smart aug activation like the Nanosuit modes in Crysis e.g. tap crouch twice to activate/deactivate Silent Move Aug. That would definitely save some precious controller buttons.

Anyway, my potential southpaw setup:

Movement: WASD
Fire: Left mouse button
Iron Sight: Right mouse button
Reload: R
Grenade: G
Holster: H
Jump: Ctrl
Sprint: V
Crouch: Alt
Takedowns: Middle mouse button
Use: F
Augs: F1-F4
Cover: If absolutely necessary, Space.

Q and E will remain unbound as a tribute to the original DX. :p

Enemy242
15th Aug 2011, 21:22
Bummer that the manual didn't go further into the graphics options, it'd be nice to see an exact representation of what's there. It was nice to see that a lot of things can be turned off though, like the objective markers, takedown and cover prompts etc; those really get in your face so being able to turn them off will be great. thanks for posting! now we just need the game haha

Skillet
15th Aug 2011, 21:51
I see the takedown key has changed to Q, and T has now become 'Track and follow', sounds interesting. Wonder if it's like the system in Rainbow 6: Vegas 2 where you can assign a tango as a target?

That's exactly what it is. Puts a little waypoint over their heads so that you can track their movements easily.

As for only having four keys to activate augs, it's as others have said, an obvious console "problem". But there isn't a reason to have more than four manually activated augs anyway. Why force you to tap a key to allow you to lift heavy objects or punch through walls when it can be a passive ability that's activated when you attempt to perform that specific action anyway? Trying to say that it's "dumbed down" would be akin to saying that moving while aiming in Resident Evil makes the game less intense.

I'd argue... it gives the game a wheel and allows it to emerge from the dark ages.

Charadesmith
15th Aug 2011, 21:54
Yes i agree. But you know how some people are

Shralla
16th Aug 2011, 01:43
It was dumbing down when they changed it from Crysis to Crysis 2, and this is no different. It makes resource management significantly less important or interesting.

Charadesmith
16th Aug 2011, 01:45
See? Having to press one extra button to do the same thing is apparently more interesting and completely related to resource management.

Sigh

SnafuR6
16th Aug 2011, 04:25
The Falcon 4.0 handbook comes to mind.:D

I still have that massive brick laying around here in a closet somewhere.......

Felt like I could really fly and F16 after reading that thing cover to cover :lol:

StingingVelvet
16th Aug 2011, 05:09
I loved the old thick manuals and big boxes PC games used to come with, but in the end it was all kind of silly really. I sold them all recently and went digital and honestly feel a lot better doing so. Publishers get more money, I get less hassle and data is a lot easier to protect against environmental hazards.

As for this manual it all seems good... definitely gonna change RMB to aiming and MMB to grenades though. Probably put cover on C as a toggle and move crouch to CTRL.

itsonyourhead
16th Aug 2011, 05:11
I loved the old thick manuals and big boxes PC games used to come with, but in the end it was all kind of silly really. I sold them all recently and went digital and honestly feel a lot better doing so. Publishers get more money, I get less hassle and data is a lot easier to protect against environmental hazards.

As for this manual it all seems good... definitely gonna change RMB to aiming and MMB to grenades though. Probably put cover on C as a toggle and move crouch to CTRL.

I'm switching cover to toggle using shift. X will become my sprint button. And for walking/running I'll just use caps-lock. RMB for iron-sights is a must, and I don't like using the middle mouse button for anything, I've always found it awkward.

MaxxQ1
16th Aug 2011, 05:15
Best game manual I've ever seen is the one that came with Homeworld - 115 pages in 7" x 9" format on quality heavy paper. Lots of background history for the Hiigarans and Taidani, as well as gameplay mechanics and stuff you would expect from a manual.

itsonyourhead
16th Aug 2011, 05:24
Best game manual I've ever seen is the one that came with Homeworld - 115 pages in 7" x 9" format on quality heavy paper. Lots of background history for the Hiigarans and Taidani, as well as gameplay mechanics and stuff you would expect from a manual.

I still have that manual on my shelf. Homeworld was a wonderful game.

CyberRook
16th Aug 2011, 05:33
I still have both manuals that came with my purchase of the strategy game "Stars!".

How I loved Stars! That is still one of the best 4X games ever. It broke my heart when Stars: Supernova was cancelled. :(

I think the biggest manual I ever owned was for the naval simulator, Dangerous Waters. It was a 570 page spiral bound monster! :eek:

As for the DXHR manual, first, thanks for the link! Second, it's like most manuals today - little more than a cheat sheet. Oh well, wasn't expecting anything different. But imagine what what manual would have looked like back in the day.... <sigh>

MaxxQ1
16th Aug 2011, 05:38
I still have that manual on my shelf. Homeworld was a wonderful game.

Same here - it's sitting less than two feet away from my left arm.

And what do you mean "was a wonderful game"? It still is. I play it almost as often as DX, which I've played at least once a year since release.

Grimesy
16th Aug 2011, 17:01
I do remember never being able to get the flightsim Tornado to get to work on my fathers pc back then...
Instead I entertained myself by just reading the manual for several days...

By the way, maybe it's steams version, but when I was playing the tunnels beneath Castle Clinton yesterday, I used 'q' to lean left from within the ducts to take out the guy with the flamethrower... If it wasn't there in the unpatched 'vanilla' release, then when did they implement it into v.1.112fm, anyone?

Edot:typo, stupid touchscreen phone keyboard...

Tille
16th Aug 2011, 17:23
Thanks, but i doubt that keeps me busy until release.

musicrab
16th Aug 2011, 17:29
Surprised nobody mentioned that we have Quick Save/Load. An indication that @Nixxes have thought about this development.

Ashpolt
16th Aug 2011, 18:34
Agreed with everyone saying the default controls are horrible. As with the leak, I'll have:

LMB: Shoot
RMB: Iron sights / zoom
Shift: Sprint
Ctrl: Crouch
Space: Jump
E: Use
F: Cover (....when I have to use it) (on toggle rather than hold)
T: Takedown (ditto)
R: Reload
G: Grenade
H: Holster
Q: Track (though I doubt I'll use it)

Worked fine for me in the leak, so i don't see any reason to change. Can't understand who thought those default controls were good though. :scratch:

Charadesmith
16th Aug 2011, 18:35
People who have no problem adapting?

Ashpolt
16th Aug 2011, 18:44
People who have no problem adapting?

Why adapt when there's a much more natural (and genre standard) control system possible?

Tell you what, when you get the game, bind it as such:

Left mouse: Move forward
Right mouse: Grenade
Space: Interact
S: Takedown
Shift: Move right
Ctrl: Jump
W: Move back
T: Sprint
L: Move left
D: Reload
Q: Cover (on hold, not shift)

....and then come back and tell us how you got on. You should be fine - after all, it's just a case of adapting, right? There's no such thing as a bad control system, only one you haven't adapted to, correct?

Charadesmith
16th Aug 2011, 18:45
Why should i if the default felt perfectly natural after 5 minutes? I'm sorry you have such limitations but don't try to impose them on me.

Ashpolt
16th Aug 2011, 18:48
Why should i....

Why? To demonstrate your point that an awkward control scheme is a failure of adaptation on the user's part, not a fault of the control scheme, of course!

Charadesmith
16th Aug 2011, 18:50
It's not a failure of anything, it's a matter of choice. I chose to adapt because i'm not afraid of such things, apparently you are and chose to always repeat the same experience. I also suggest you don't play HR and just replay the original until you're rotting in your grave

Ashpolt
16th Aug 2011, 18:55
It's not a failure of anything, it's a matter of choice. I chose to adapt because i'm not afraid of such things, apparently you are and chose to always repeat the same experience. I also suggest you don't play HR and just replay the original until you're rotting in your grave

Wow, that's fantastically constructive and not at all ad-hominem post.

(Worth noting, incidentally, that the control system I intend to use, that I detailed on the previous page, is significantly different to the default setup of the original DX - but don't let that get in the way of your baseless assumptions.)

Charadesmith
16th Aug 2011, 18:59
You're the one making assumptions, clearly denoting that you think people who think the default scheme is okay must be mentally challenged or something.

Ashpolt
16th Aug 2011, 19:10
You're the one making assumptions, clearly denoting that you think people who think the default scheme is okay must be mentally challenged or something.

I said nothing of the sort. If you chose to read what I actually said in such a grossly exaggerated manner, that's your own inference, rather than my implication.

Zorvan
17th Aug 2011, 09:57
Anyone else miss the days of manuals the size of small novels? Manuals that were as much fun to read through as the game's they were for were to play ( and sometimes even more so lol )?

I miss the days when games were complex enough that a manual was actually needed.

Sadly, outside of games like the "X:" series, they just don't make 'em like that any more.