PDA

View Full Version : Only played Invisible War. What am I in for?

XX55XX
15th Aug 2011, 01:26
I have DXHR pre-ordered on Green Man Gaming (only need the key now), but I am curious if anyone else is like me: I never played the original game, and I really don't care to because of its age.

However, I did play its sequel, Invisible War and enjoyed it immensely. Did another playthrough recently, actually. Only thing that bothered me was the dinky levels and the crappy inventory system, but that was it. Everything else was spot-on. I also loved how the theme was about rebuilding a broken world.

I know my expectations will easy to satisfy, given Invisible War's reputation as a "lesser game" compared with the "great" Deus Ex, but I hope the problem with the crappy inventory and dinky levels are rectified in HR.

jd10013
15th Aug 2011, 01:45
Invisible war isn't a bad game, it was just a bad sequel. I certainly wouldn't call it "lesser". it just failed to be the game fans of the original wanted. I would though, highly recommend playing the original. your depriving yourself of a really good gaming experience. and considering you can get it for about $10, there's really no reason not to.

as far as the dinky levels, I'm sure that will be different. I didn't try out the leaked stuff, but I was always under the impression that the tiny levels of IW were in large part due to it being designed primarily for consoles. not that I have anything against consoles, there is a Wii, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 2 in my home, but the first gen console it was developed for put limitations on level size.......or so I read.

playing the original would probably be a fun thing to do while waiting for HR. you should give it a try.

Random
15th Aug 2011, 01:48
Levels are much much bigger in HR. The IW levels are small because of the really small amount of memory on the Xbox, which was a problem considering how interactive the IW environments were (i.e. objects weren't nailed down like they are in HR). Also the IW engine was just terrible.

As for the inventory, in HR it's a grid with a drag and drop interface on PC, similar to the original game.

You really should play the original. It's a classic for a reason.

thanos
15th Aug 2011, 02:04
Suffice it to say more than likely your in for a good time ?

jason95821
15th Aug 2011, 04:12
while invisble wars was a decent aspect to the deus ex my all time fav will always be original deus ex

DXeXodus
15th Aug 2011, 05:47
You are in for a royal treat my friend :D

Oh, and go play Deus Ex 1.

Now.

OhSorryOldHorse
15th Aug 2011, 06:00
I thoroughly enjoyed both games, the first more so, but the second isn't as bad as folks make it out to be.

DisaFear
15th Aug 2011, 07:13
I thoroughly enjoyed both games, the first more so, but the second isn't as bad as folks make it out to be.

Agreed.
That translates to me playinf DX1 ~15 times and DX2 2 times :eek:

nutcrackr
15th Aug 2011, 08:39
You're probably in a better position than most because the only way is up ;)

But seriously IW had the core elements but silly things got in the way, universal ammo lol. I would also like to add that I wouldn't let age worry you if that is the only thing preventing you from playing the best game of all time. Graphics become irrelevant when you start getting into the meat of the original. Also apart from dynamic shadows, IW doesn't look that great.

Fox89
15th Aug 2011, 08:46
Yeah, Invisible War was decent. Human Revolution is so much more. You really are in for something special. In a way I think you should go play DX1 before Human Revolution comes out, but a part of me thinks for you the best way would just be to wait for the new game, and experience Deus Ex at it's best, in all it's black and gold HD glory :)

Invisible War only gets a bad rap because of the game it was following up. Which is perfectly fair. I'd still give it a B+, so still an extremely good game. Things that let it down for me:

- Plot.
- Level size.
- Comparative lack of stuff to do.
- Universal ammo.
- So. Much. Loading.

But even so, better than 90% of the stuff out there.

OhSorryOldHorse
15th Aug 2011, 18:38
Yeah, Invisible War was decent. Human Revolution is so much more. You really are in for something special. In a way I think you should go play DX1 before Human Revolution comes out, but a part of me thinks for you the best way would just be to wait for the new game, and experience Deus Ex at it's best, in all it's black and gold HD glory :)

Invisible War only gets a bad rap because of the game it was following up. Which is perfectly fair. I'd still give it a B+, so still an extremely good game. Things that let it down for me:

- Plot.
- Level size.
- Comparative lack of stuff to do.
- Universal ammo.
- So. Much. Loading.

But even so, better than 90% of the stuff out there.

Quite honestly, these were the only issues i had with the game. I understand the level limitations were due to the consoles (which is still no excuse I feel like). And the loading, everytime you transitioned to a new area, is annoying though I'm also sure this was due to limitations brought on by consoles.

The universal ammo I didn't have much of a problem with, as my primary weapons on my first run through of IW were the silenced pistol, silenced sniper rifle, EMP grenades, and the occasional shotgun usage. Ammo was never really a problem for me until the very end of the game at the UNATCO ruins, where I was scrambling to get some.

I also thought there was a lack of stuff to do at first on my initial playthrough, but now as I go back a second time, I realize that I didn't have the proper biomods or credits to do certain things, so knowing this and discovering what I didn't do is immensely rewarding and fun.

As for the plot, I found it very intriguing to see how a world that was already on the downslide could be pushed even further after the events of the first game (though I found it kind of difficult to believe that all three endings happened simultaneously together. I would've much prefered the Dark Age ending myself as the official ending, because it makes the most sense).

XX55XX
15th Aug 2011, 21:15
Well, for some reason, the debate over the morality of human augmentation isn't as interesting to me as the question that kept ringing up in Invisible War: How should the world be rebuilt? Who should preside over its governance? How much freedom should people have?

I hope HR deals with these questions too, as I play the game. I hope it isn't all about the ethics of augmentation.

OhSorryOldHorse
15th Aug 2011, 21:19
my feeling is that both subjects will overlap with each other in HR