PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty Level .....Whats your preference?

xsamitt
15th Aug 2011, 01:01
1 easy
2 Medium
3 hardest

Alarei
15th Aug 2011, 01:03
I like to play on medium on my first playthrough of games, especially games of this calibre. I like to be challanged, but not to the point where it frustrates me and I end up not enjoying the game :). On my second playthrough I'll most likely play it on the hardest with the knowledge I've gained from playing the game!

xsamitt
15th Aug 2011, 01:05
Please feel free to vote..it's a poll after all.

Please and Thanks

iloveyouXWORLD
15th Aug 2011, 01:08
i cant make up my mind! i have a feeling that normal mode will be too easy, yet i want to start on normal because i know im gonna play many playthroughs. ill hold my vote for now.

xsamitt
15th Aug 2011, 01:11
I play every Game on the Hardest Setting.....Must have something to do with enjoying punishment.lol

thanos
15th Aug 2011, 01:13
Once I get a feel for the games quirks and style, I shall unleash the hardest settings for the game.

Riddik116
15th Aug 2011, 02:00
hardest, I always play on the hardest difficulty for shooters (i kno deus ex isnt strickly shooter).

SladeTeck
15th Aug 2011, 02:27
I tend to get my feet wet first. That said, I play on Easy then the next play through go normal, and Hard after that.

I've gotten burned on some games before where the AI is set on, "Easy", but in actuality it's more like, "BRUTAL HARDCORE DEATH". This is especially annoying on strategy games, minding my own business when suddenly I'm attacked by a horde of fully upgraded enemy units and I haven't even begun to set my base defenses up.

It's happened in more than just strategy games though. Thus why I have to, "test", things first.

CyberRook
15th Aug 2011, 04:50
Medium/Normal for me. That is usually the best setting to get a feel for the game. Unless it is super-easy (such as Torchlight), I leave hard for a second play-through.

singularity
15th Aug 2011, 05:29
If it's a game I plan on replaying - I'll start on a medium setting and work my way up.

If it's a game I plan to only play once and re-sell, a game I'm borrowing/ renting, or a just a game I don't think I'll play more than once, I play on hard.

If it's a Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden game - I'll start on Easy and work my way to hardest over the course of a year or two.

That being said, I plan to go through DXHR at least thrice. The devs put so much work into balancing the game, etc - I might as well see what each difficulty has to offer.
Medium the first time. Hard the second time. Easy for the "kill 'em all" playthough.

DXeXodus
15th Aug 2011, 05:55
I will select medium the first time I play through then I will play it on Deus Ex difficulty the second time. When I play Deus Ex 1 lately I always choose realistic difficulty as there is no point in playing on anything less after so many playthroughs to be honest.

Jordasm
15th Aug 2011, 07:00
I'm gonna try Deus Ex mode for the my first playthrough, I've had a bit of experience with the leak so it shouldn't be too bad. Gonna try and get "Ghost" for every mission as well, No kills, no alarms. Should be fun!

DisaFear
15th Aug 2011, 07:24
I played on all three in the leaked edition (not full playthroughs) and the hardest difficulty isn't too hard, so it should be pretty fun playing on max

And I need to play it on hardest to have bragging rights over my friends... :rasp:

7h30n
15th Aug 2011, 07:25
I play every Game on the Hardest Setting.....Must have something to do with enjoying punishment.lol

He he, I do the same. If the game isn't Nintendo Hard (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NintendoHard) it isn't hard enough! I guess that's why I've been playing (S)NES games lately (Castlevania, Ghosts 'n Goblins done, now it's Mega Man) and stopped playing Bioshock ...

Amitush
15th Aug 2011, 07:41
Prolly easy cuz Im a coward, always pick easy so I wont get hammered..like in BFBC 2..sniff sniff

Zoet
15th Aug 2011, 08:11
On the poll I picked medium, but if this turns out to be a more difficult game than the usual, I will drop down to easy without shame. I love video games, but I'm not particularly brilliant at them, probably because I got into gaming at age 20 rather than as a kid. 'Medium' difficulty for me is usually quite challenging.
After I have mastered the game, and if it is as good as I am hoping it will be, then the difficulty will be cranked up for subsequent play-throughs.

Amitush
15th Aug 2011, 08:15
On the poll I picked medium, but if this turns out to be a more difficult game than the usual, I will drop down to easy without shame. I love video games, but I'm not particularly brilliant at them, probably because I got into gaming at age 20 rather than as a kid. 'Medium' difficulty for me is usually quite challenging.
After I have mastered the game, and if it is as good as I am hoping it will be, then the difficulty will be cranked up for subsequent play-throughs.

No there is no shame in being a coward, my terrified friend

nutcrackr
15th Aug 2011, 08:32
I usually go normal, since that will be how most of the testers will play it. If I find it too easy after a few hours I might raise it up. There is more chance that I would just replay it on hard though.

Gaughranorama
15th Aug 2011, 08:37
Normal for me. I use to play pretty much all my games on hard back in college but a wife, job and children really limit the time and energy i can dedicate to games...

Solid_1723
15th Aug 2011, 10:50
How could I possibly refuse a difficulty setting that's called"Give me Deus Ex"?:D

It really depends on the game for me and how a higher difficulty is implemented.
If it means that I can take fewer hits or there is no artificial prompts that tell me when to strike etc. I'll go for "hard"
If it means the enemies will take an unrealistic ammount of hits I'll stick to medium.

sajin
15th Aug 2011, 11:47
Give me Deus Ex (hard)

RimvydasM
15th Aug 2011, 12:14
for first playthrough easy/medium.don't know yet

fchopin
15th Aug 2011, 13:49
I always play on medium or normal first time.

KingNL
15th Aug 2011, 14:25
Give me Deus Ex ofcourse

Brockxz
15th Aug 2011, 14:30
I always play on hardest difficulty unless i intend to replay the game than i sometimes first time play on medium/normal. Also I have never played DX1 and DX IW on anything less than "Realistic" so most likely I will start DXHR on "Give Me Deus Ex" from the start.

ZakKa89
15th Aug 2011, 15:36
Playing the leak I found out I enjoyed the game a lot more on Deus Ex (hard), so Deus Ex it is.

The_Audiophile
15th Aug 2011, 15:38
I'm hoping the game is somewhat challenging, medium today is equivalent to very easy in older games.

DXeXodus
15th Aug 2011, 18:27
From what we have heard the game is definitely challenging. I am looking forward to this challenge but still think I will run my first playthrough on normal difficulty.

OhSorryOldHorse
15th Aug 2011, 18:29
I'll be playing on Medium so i can ease in and get a feel for the game. Then on my second run through itll be on the hardest difficulty.

thanos
15th Aug 2011, 18:31
Play it on easy long enough to get a grasp on the controls,then switch it to hard.

And admiting you've played the leak might not be the best idea there is.

OhSorryOldHorse
15th Aug 2011, 18:42
Play it on easy long enough to get a grasp on the controls,then switch it to hard.

And admiting you've played the leak might not be the best idea there is.

Don't know what you're talking about, as I've browsed through many threads recently with posts people have made about playign the leak, with no reprimanding from mods. *shrug*

thanos
15th Aug 2011, 18:54
Thats because it seems the mods and admins dont seem to care about the leak.

I really find it supriseing myself,that they dont do something about it.

OhSorryOldHorse
15th Aug 2011, 19:18
It could be due to the fact that HR is right around the corner, so theres no point in punishing people for mentioning it

thanos
15th Aug 2011, 19:29
True but still,gotta wonder who leaked it,and how they managed to do it. industial secrets are good business if you know the right buyers.

OhSorryOldHorse
15th Aug 2011, 20:11
very true good sir, very true

goinSTEALTH
15th Aug 2011, 20:21
How could I possibly refuse a difficulty setting that's called"Give me Deus Ex"?:D

It really depends on the game for me and how a higher difficulty is implemented.
If it means that I can take fewer hits or there is no artificial prompts that tell me when to strike etc. I'll go for "hard"
If it means the enemies will take an unrealistic ammount of hits I'll stick to medium.

Agree with the Deus Ex difficulty name. Totally going for that mode on my first playthrough!

pha
15th Aug 2011, 20:25
I'll puuuuuuut on a trenchcoat and piiiiiiick Give Me Deus Ex. Yahtzee would be proud.

Enemy242
15th Aug 2011, 21:30
I always go through games on medium first, as it allows you to get the basic feel of what the game is supposed to be, how it was designed, use the basic options and just go through it and see the story etc. I'll basically play it on medium, search as much as I can to find as many things as possible, do the story how I like (basically stealth and mostly non lethal and choosing good dialogue options but all of them have to feel right to me) and then finish that. Then once you've seen the game once, know how it is, played it like it was designed to be played for the majority thats when I go back and do the maximum difficulty level, searching even more and choosing the opposite dialogue and gameplay choices from my last playthrough. That way you get to play the game however you feel in the most basic sense and how it was designed, then go back and play it on hard so all the knowledge you have gets put to the test and you see what would've happened if you had chosen the other options.

considering how huge this game is though and all the choices i'll probably have to go back and do it a few times, with first time on normal, 2nd time on max difficulty doing options i hadn't chosen and being more lethal, then a 3rd time on hard again (or maybe easy) and doing whatever else was left that I didn't get to try, and of course all the time looking for more and more secrets that I may not have found (I'll probably get at least 3 plays out of the game because I know in detroit you can literally go through it 4 times looking for secret areas and miss something every time that you find the next time such as a fence that you wouldn't even think twice about, yet if you manage to climb over it it's a secret area etc. from what i've seen they've kept the obscure secret area feeling of the original alive aside from just vents and that's perfect because you find something new every time) and making sure I read every last email.

I expect from the 3-4 plays on all the different difficulties/styles I'll get at least 100 hours out of the game before i've 100% found every area, done every style, every difficulty and read every email. It's truly baffling how much is in the game and how much you can do in it; games like this and the elder scrolls games have seriously spoiled me so I cannot purchase a generic 1 play through fps for 20 hours no matter how good it is. Once you are able to play a 25 hour game 4 times through with no boredom, finding new things every time, feeling captivated and challenged each time and still finding new things for 100 hours you simply can't buy a game like COD for $50 ever again.

XX55XX
15th Aug 2011, 21:40
Easy. Story, themes, and dialogue are the only things I consider when playing an RPG like this.

Cronstintein
18th Aug 2011, 01:37
One factor I haven't seen mentioned: the gameplay options.

In a game like CoD, pumping the difficulty has very little appeal as it's likely to just boost my frustration.

But for DX I like realistic/Deus Ex difficulty because if I'm getting shot it's because I "messed up". I play a very methodical style with sneaking/sniping/KOs. So I like getting punished for entering fire fights unprepared.

thanos
18th Aug 2011, 01:48
Once I aqquire a gatling gun difficulty will cease to matter.

Because the enemy will be too busy running to worry about shooting back.

Painman
18th Aug 2011, 02:01
Hard.

My POV is similar to Cronstintein's. I like to sneak around and pick everyone off carefully. If I get shot or set off an alarm, then I wasn't being careful!