PDA

View Full Version : Official Release (23/26 Aug) Anticipation Thread - TODAY is the DAY! Congrats EM!

Pages : [1] 2

Asterisk
15th Aug 2011, 00:12
I've been following this game for a long time. I've been stoked since day one. To be this close, it still seems like an eternity for this game to come out.:mad2:

thanos
15th Aug 2011, 00:21
Yes I know, the wait isnt helping with my current sleeping disorder at all.

Charadesmith
15th Aug 2011, 00:22
The last days have been a drag too. The drag has started and shall continue. For 11 days more

thanos
15th Aug 2011, 00:25
I wish i`d have picked up f3ar instead of COJ: the cartel >.> its helping along with sleeping pills to make the two weak wait much easyer for me.

Asterisk
15th Aug 2011, 00:28
I have a sleeping disorder as well, but I am not taking meds for it...

Really sucks. My buddy is hooking me up with some sweet, sweet, sensi this weekend for my birthday... but that's being saved for the 23rd. :)

thanos
15th Aug 2011, 00:29
On and off again insomia is a pain in the butt and what is sens? Or do I not want to know ?

Asterisk
15th Aug 2011, 00:30
Sensimilla. :)

thanos
15th Aug 2011, 00:31
I still dont know what that is sadly.

Asterisk
15th Aug 2011, 00:34
Lol forget it.

iloveyouXWORLD
15th Aug 2011, 00:35
I still dont know what that is sadly.

good stuff :thumb:

thanos
15th Aug 2011, 00:38
Nevermind,I just figured out I DONT want to know.

iloveyouXWORLD
15th Aug 2011, 00:53
Nevermind,I just figured out I DONT want to know.

good for you. ahh these last few days will be a drag. no matter what im doing, im sure at some point in the day ill just think "DEUS EX" and then :mad2:
need me some drugs too, just to pass the time.

The_Audiophile
15th Aug 2011, 01:02
If the game is awesome, the wait will make it even more worth it, even if anticipation is torture. And I fell ya'll on the sleeping problems, even tho mine are partly caused by my caffeine addiction.

SladeTeck
15th Aug 2011, 02:43
Well, I guess I'll pass the time by watching movies and stuffs.

I figure watching all of FMA Brotherhood and Hellsing Ultimate will help. That and Toy Soldiers: Cold War is coming out Wednesday so that will help me pass the time. If you've never played TS, your really missing out on a pretty nice tower defense-ish, game.

Otherwise just trying to keep sane until the day comes.

ZakKa89
15th Aug 2011, 02:44
With Bastion and From dust almost coming out, I highly doubt it.

thanos
15th Aug 2011, 02:55
If it does in fact release on the 23rd and is in the store then and there, then maybe i`ll try and pick it up,if not it'll be saterday before it is mine.

CyberRook
15th Aug 2011, 04:53
I've been following this game for a long time. I've been stoked since day one. To be this close, it still seems like an eternity for this game to come out.:mad2:

Yes it does. :) I wish I forgot that this game was coming out until next Monday. :D

What makes it even worse is that when you're anticipating a new game, all your other games suddenly fail to satisfy. You're screwed! :D

OhSorryOldHorse
15th Aug 2011, 04:55
What sucks for me is I start college the same day as HR's release. So trying to play and do he is gonna suck haha

thanos
15th Aug 2011, 04:56
It will take me at least the rest of the week to finish my current game as it is,so I do have something to do for that time,but the final week is going to kill me.

singularity
15th Aug 2011, 05:34
Picked up Vampire tMBL a couple weeks ago when it was 5 dollars on Steam. That, plus my most recent playthroughs of DX1 and Hitman Bloodmoney have almost made me forget DXHR is coming out. Seriously... I've put like 30 hours into VTMBL in the last week. One of the greatest RPGS ever made (once patched). It will help you pass the time for just about anything.

Amitush
15th Aug 2011, 07:58
Good thing I'm working, helps a bit...and some Eternal Sonata..dunno what else..wish someone would hit me with a 12 pounder so ill sleep a year..good games await!

Dr.Poca
15th Aug 2011, 16:45
Not out in Ireland till the 26th, so I'll have to steer clear of the forum from the 23rd onwards. It'll be too much torture to see other people playing it and saying how awesome it is :P

knicks21
15th Aug 2011, 17:19
well i finaly found dx1 since i got a laptop with a dvd drive so that helps pass the time plus ncaa football 12 fallout new vegas and hitman blood money the wait isnt to bad. its funny how when it got announce around 2 years ago
2011 seemed so far away but here we are

KingNL
15th Aug 2011, 17:48
Us Europeans have to wait until the 26th...

Free 7hinker
15th Aug 2011, 18:13

Same here. I tend to go to sleep around 3-4 in the morning and I wake up at 9-10. 6-7 hours of sleep isn't terrible, but it does throw my body off. I still feel tired and lethargic. However, I can't complain why I haven't been sleeping...I need my daily dose of Deus Ex: Human Revolution music lol I constantly have Sarif Industries and Icarus (ending credits theme) on loop. I actually fall asleep to the Sarif Industries theme. :hmm:

This is how I feel now that it's only 8 days away:

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a406/othoneil23290/MY-BODY-IS-READY.gif

DXeXodus
15th Aug 2011, 18:20
...its funny how when it got announce around 2 years ago
2011 seemed so far away but here we are

It was announced a fair bit longer ago than 2 years ;)

thanos
15th Aug 2011, 18:26
I agree with you on that,heh at times it isnt the sleeping disorder keeping me up but my whack job friends wanting somebody to talk to at freaking 12 to 2 in the morning and your sig is still creepy dude.

To quote a fan fic : What part of do not let the creepy guy with pale white skin give you a hickey do you not understand ? . and when he says white skin, he really means pale havent seen the light of day ever kind of white skin.

Free 7hinker
15th Aug 2011, 18:29
I agree with you on that,heh at times it isnt the sleeping disorder keeping me up but my whack job friends wanting somebody to talk to at freaking 12 to 2 in the morning and your sig is still creepy dude.

To quote a fan fic : What part of do not let the creepy guy with pale white skin give you a hickey do you not understand ? . and when he says white skin, he really means pale havent seen the light of day ever kind of white skin.

haha I'm actually tan and weight lift quite a bit. I'm also a personal trainer. I'm sorry that GIF creeps you out lol

thanos
15th Aug 2011, 18:34
It's not your fault,and I wasnt trying to imply you were pale skined.I was talking about tom riddle there, the quote came from a naruto fan fic ,and was from naruto telling sasuke to not let orochimaru give him a love bite, aka the curse mark. Besides I work with heavy machines,and more often than not people tell me I cant do something such as push a 200-300 pound log around or man handle it,and end up wrong.

kabukiman1973
16th Aug 2011, 13:25
I'l be out of my house in holidays for 11 days, starting day 26:mad2: When I'l be able to play the game, most of you have probably finish it already...

DXeXodus
16th Aug 2011, 13:28
I know I probably will have :D

But never fear, just think how much sweeter it will be when you finally get your hands on it.

thanos
16th Aug 2011, 17:44
I have decided to pick the game up on release day and seeing as i`m only a third of the way through CoJ; the cartel. I have something to keep me busy.

[FGS]ChineseDemocracy
16th Aug 2011, 17:56
If it's really starting to drag do your self a favour and take a small break from these forums, checking here everyday will make it seem like forever.

Free 7hinker
16th Aug 2011, 18:11
ChineseDemocracy;1649634']If it's really starting to drag do your self a favour and take a small break from these forums, checking here everyday will make it seem like forever.

You're right, so I'm keeping myself busy. I just recorded myself performing an acrobatic exercise on a chair while Icarus was playing in the background. lol I uploaded it on Facebook. All my friends think I need to be hospitalized for my obsession. I will say this, though...whenever I listen to Icarus while working out at the gym, I truly do feel "more than human", even if it's just an illusion. It's as if I'm in a trance and I can lift heavier and longer. It's amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npPPmQQzMjM&feature=channel_video_title

(I don't know why the song isn't playing, though)

Enjoy. =)

Amitush
16th Aug 2011, 18:42
Do some flips and flops! and with a bra!

thanos
16th Aug 2011, 18:44
Music has ways of unlocking our latent abilitys, or makeing us stronger at times.

It also works wonders when your mood does not feel correct and you wish another emotion,anger,happyness,sadness,etc.

Amitush
16th Aug 2011, 18:48
Music has ways of unlocking our latent abilitys, or makeing us stronger at times.

It also works wonders when your mood does not feel correct and you wish another emotion,anger,happyness,sadness,etc.

Andrenaline, I guess
Cant run without music, get bored fast

throwback8
17th Aug 2011, 07:27
Agreed. I haven't been this stoked on a game since the beginning of the summer with Infamous 2. I'm going to keep busy with work, and before I know it, I'll be installing Deus Ex: Human Revolution on my HDD. Until then, Resistance 3 beta it is.

jaywalker2309
17th Aug 2011, 08:49
Its been a very long road for some of us :D

DXeXodus
17th Aug 2011, 09:19
That is so true. I remember the old days, discussing whether it will be sequel to DXIW or some sort of parallel storyline thing. Ha, the days when we knew nothing except that they were making a new Deus Ex game. :)

kabukiman1973
17th Aug 2011, 12:51
When I'l start playing I'l avoid the forum to not spoil the surprise. There is nothing worst than hearing everyone speaking of how cool is it, and not havbing a clue of what they are talking about...

doogerie
17th Aug 2011, 14:16
What sucks for me is I start college the same day as HR's release. So trying to play and do he is gonna suck haha

if you can manage your time you can easley do both and still have a good college life

Fireisprettyful
17th Aug 2011, 14:29
i think my head is going to explode waiting for this game

MaceUk
17th Aug 2011, 15:15
i think my head is going to explode waiting for this game

:hmm: ewww

thanos
17th Aug 2011, 18:23
The time is dragging along nicely now.

Free 7hinker
17th Aug 2011, 18:30
The time is dragging along nicely now.

I agree. This is what the Icarus theme, along with Transhumanism, has inspired me to do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg8wGcNAa6U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDUgv_QKPLk&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czor9g1RsYI&feature=related (Curl Bar: 120 lbs - I'm 140 lbs)

People in the gym physically stop working out and stare at me with a "What the hell is he doing?!" expression on their face. If only they knew what I know and feel. If we want to evolve, we need to push ourselves beyond what we believe we're capable of.

I've just been spending a lot more time at the gym to get my mind off the anticipation lol

The_Audiophile
17th Aug 2011, 18:46
I can't take it! The wait is killing me! *falls on floor throwing a temper tantrum*. :mad2::(:mad2:

thanos
17th Aug 2011, 19:22
Pity i`m just unseing a single arm weight to work on my left arm.

Rainbow6Team
17th Aug 2011, 19:24
Lets hope nine days is enough to clean up the streets of London,arrest all the rioters and get gameshops up and running in time for release.

throwback8
18th Aug 2011, 15:50
My above comment and the fact that it was my first post may have skewed things a bit. It sounded like I've only been excited for DX:HR since Infamous 2 launch was over. In reality, I've had DX:HR pre-ordered ever since Gamestop would let me. I remember sneaking to play Deus Ex on my brothers computer when I was 12, and I loved everything about it. That said, Ive never been huge on forums, but figured it would be nice to talk to some other people who don't think I'm weird for posting Icarus and random DX things on facebook. Here we are 11 years later and next week I'll have my hands on DX:HR. Although the delays bummed me out when they happened, I actually applaud the decision to take some extra polish time and get things right.

thanos
18th Aug 2011, 19:30
Tick tock tick tock,times running out gentlemen.

Mobius32
19th Aug 2011, 00:10
5 days left!

So close...but so damn far

Deus_Ex_Machina
19th Aug 2011, 01:17
5 days left!

So close...but so damn far

Only five more days?!?

That's not within six months, that's within the week.

What can I say? I'm desperate. Your turn.

alanschu
19th Aug 2011, 01:24
The fact that I can preload it on Steam makes it worse I think :)

thanos
19th Aug 2011, 01:29
The fact that more than likely I will have to download this to my hard drive before I can play it makes it worse.

kabukiman1973
19th Aug 2011, 08:42
16 days until I can play, 16 days...

DXeXodus
19th Aug 2011, 09:04
Exactly one week until it comes out where I live :D

Hopefully I will be playing it by next Friday evening! Provided my pre-order comes through on time.

Amitush
19th Aug 2011, 09:45
Oh gee..Exactly one year until the shipment will arrive my country..yay retard postal service!

KnightRobby
19th Aug 2011, 11:44

Sleeping disorder? Well, it's...oh 4:38AM in the morning and I have yet to get any sleep. So...what sleeping disorder? lol :lol:

In all seriousness, I know what you mean. I am incredibly psyched about this game. Every video has just been a little teaser of what appears to be a magnificent game. I am still curious about other reviews but from the developer diaries and other impressions I've seen/read, I imagine this game will be quite memorable...

imported_the_guy
19th Aug 2011, 12:05
I am currently gnawing down my bedroom wall to try and forget about DX, but it's not working :(. Hopefully, since I pre-ordered it about 6 months ago, it will come in good time, preferably on the 26th of August.

[FGS]Shadowrunner
19th Aug 2011, 14:05
To pass the time...

Connect to Multiplayer, click on "Otherworld Server"...

Before jumping out of plane, don't forget to take parachute. Parachute is belt item, press item number then fire.
If you are not shot down by people on the ground, try driving a tank or flying the plane.
Or simply try a smoke grenade, or M61 frag, a weapon which talks lol!
Have some fun on Hengsha Dockside multiplayer map, or WW2 fun...

Failing that... there's the "Complete Deus Ex Script", or perhaps the DX Bible, should keep you busy for a few days...

Enraged Penguin
19th Aug 2011, 14:13
Exactly one week until it comes out where I live :D

Hopefully I will be playing it by next Friday evening! Provided my pre-order comes through on time.Yeah same here. Are you in the UK? If you are and you've ordered it online there's a good chance you'll get it in the post on Thursday. I usually get pre-orders a day or two early. GAME.co.uk are especially bad (or good, for me lol) for sending them out too early in order to try and get it to you on the release day lol.

Either way, just seven more days maximum..

thanos
19th Aug 2011, 15:04
Tuesday cannot come soon enough

FatalSylence
19th Aug 2011, 15:29
3 days, 12 hours, 32 minutes and 26 seconds. (For me at least.)
84 hours...
5072 minutes...

It's coming.

thanos
19th Aug 2011, 15:33
Wow thats an interesting way of listing the time remaining.

FatalSylence
19th Aug 2011, 15:36
303,900 seconds... Sigh..

thanos
19th Aug 2011, 15:39
Yes I know,the last few days are the worst.

FatalSylence
19th Aug 2011, 15:48
Yes I know,the last few days are the worst.

Word.

Mobius32
19th Aug 2011, 15:48
303,900 seconds... Sigh..
How time can crawl...

FatalSylence
19th Aug 2011, 15:51
How time can crawl...

Indeed. Best to look at this in hours. 84. Of which, I will be asleep for roughly 24. So, 60 waking hours.

Sweet.

Mobius32
19th Aug 2011, 16:03
Indeed. Best to look at this in hours. 84. Of which, I will be asleep for roughly 24. So, 60 waking hours.

Sweet.

That does make it seem better.

Let's see, I'll be asleep for around 36 (I like my 9 hours), which leaves me with 48. 2 of those hours will be spent working, and at least 2 will be spent at the gym and one for kickboxing class. That leaves me with about 43.
And, if the recent trend of watching one movie a night with friends continues, I guess I could knock off another 8(assuming they're all 2-hour movies), which brings me down to 35.
Then there's around 4 hours of walking my dog, which brings it down to 31

So, technically speaking, I only have to wait about a day and a half :D

My god, what have you done to me!?

FatalSylence
19th Aug 2011, 16:14
That does make it seem better.

Let's see, I'll be asleep for around 36 (I like my 9 hours), which leaves me with 48. 2 of those hours will be spent working, and at least 2 will be spent at the gym and one for kickboxing class. That leaves me with about 43.
And, if the recent trend of watching one movie a night with friends continues, I guess I could knock off another 8(assuming they're all 2-hour movies), which brings me down to 35.
Then there's around 4 hours of walking my dog, which brings it down to 31

So, technically speaking, I only have to wait about a day and a half :D

My god, what have you done to me!?

Lol! :p

thanos
19th Aug 2011, 16:37
Forever is as long as a second and as short as an hour.

This makes no sense until you stop and think really hard on it.

Mobius32
19th Aug 2011, 16:41
Forever is as long as a second and as short as an hour.

This makes no sense until you stop and think really hard on it.

Wouldn't forever be longer than both?

thanos
19th Aug 2011, 16:45
Eternity is what I refer to.Since time is something humans made and all,how we grasp it is odd at times. calling it long as a second and short as an hour means we dont know when it ends.For all we know Eternity will last all of a second or prehaps it will last the hour. It all points back to time,that in which we measure the passing of days,months and years.

DjVelho
19th Aug 2011, 16:51
this is so wrong that NA are the first one to play the game. :mad2:
why we have to wait until Friday to play.(us europeans i mean)

they should release the game like Tuesday.....sigh.....well....heck!!

:confused:

thanos
19th Aug 2011, 16:53
Yes it is wrong in a way,a nice same day release for everybody would have been interesting to see.

DjVelho
19th Aug 2011, 16:54
Yes it is wrong in a way,a nice same day release for everybody would have been interesting to see.

:thumb:

Mobius32
19th Aug 2011, 16:57
Eternity is what I refer to.Since time is something humans made and all,how we grasp it is odd at times. calling it long as a second and short as an hour means we dont know when it ends.For all we know Eternity will last all of a second or prehaps it will last the hour. It all points back to time,that in which we measure the passing of days,months and years.

I hate it when people say "humans made/invented time". They invented a system to measure it, not time itself! (I know this is what you meant, it still bugs me though)

But saying it is as long as a second would, in mathematical terms, mean that X=1, and saying that it is as short as an hour would be saying that x=60 (x being eternity)

When, seeing as time has gone on for who knows how long already, it has already proven that X>1 and X>60.

I get what you're trying to say but, and maybe I'm thinking too far into it/using too much of a scientific approach to a more philosophical statement, it doesn't make sense

It sounds cool, though :D

thanos
19th Aug 2011, 16:57
Also that certain releases will have back dlc packs is very wrong,for this I must point the finger at Edio's,but I dont hold them accountable for it.

Also Mobius32 it is a knock off of sorts of a poem.

A bad knock off.

Mobius32
19th Aug 2011, 17:03
Also that certain releases will have back dlc packs is very wrong,for this I must point the finger at Edios,but I dont hold them accountable for it.

Also Mobius32 it is a knock off of sorts of a poem.

A bad knock off.

Games should have universal release dates and Pre-order bonuses, none of this region-specific bull****
That being said, I'm glad I'm in NA, which tends to get the better end of this wonky system

I figured as much, it sounds like something a poet would say. Damn poets, making me analyse their attempts at wording abstract thoughts...

thanos
19th Aug 2011, 17:06
Heh i`ll trade you an aug pack for tac pack DR.Mobius.

Seeing as I got the aug pack and its the weapons from the tac pack I really want.

Deus_Ex_Machina
19th Aug 2011, 17:09
I hate it when people say "humans made/invented time". They invented a system to measure it, not time itself! (I know this is what you meant, it still bugs me though)

But saying it is as long as a second would, in mathematical terms, mean that X=1, and saying that it is as short as an hour would be saying that x=60 (x being eternity)

When, seeing as time has gone on for who knows how long already, it has already proven that X>1 and X>60.

I get what you're trying to say but, and maybe I'm thinking too far into it/using too much of a scientific approach to a more philosophical statement, it doesn't make sense

It sounds cool, though :D

Time is relative, so equations won't help you here.

You can thank Einstein.

Mobius32
19th Aug 2011, 17:12
Heh i`ll trade you an aug pack for tac pack DR.Mobius.

Seeing as I got the aug pack and its the weapons from the tac pack I really want.

lol I'm about 7 years of psych courses away from being Dr.

And I couldn't help you there, I'm getting the explosive mission pack, since extra missions beats everything else, imo
Imagine a world where games gets released on the same day, and every pre-order comes with all the dlc packs. Man, would that be awesome...

Mobius32
19th Aug 2011, 17:16
Time is relative, so equations won't help you here.

You can thank Einstein.

Dammit, I forgot about that. Now I'm going to spend the rest of the day and some of the night thinking about time.
But just the thought that it's possible for some parts of the universe to be older/younger than others, despite being created at more or less the same time is intense
Imagine having an older brother that's younger than you?

thanos
19th Aug 2011, 17:18
lol I'm about 7 years of psych courses away from being Dr.

And I couldn't help you there, I'm getting the explosive mission pack, since extra missions beats everything else, imo
Imagine a world where games gets released on the same day, and every pre-order comes with all the dlc packs. Man, would that be awesome...
I was makeing a jab at your choice of id is all. in the most current Dlc for FO:NV there is a person by the name DR.Mobius. hence my choice to add DR. to the front of your id and dropping the numbers at the back.

Mobius32
19th Aug 2011, 17:28
I was makeing a jab at your choice of id is all. in the most current Dlc for FO:NV there is a person by the name DR.Mobius. hence my choice to add DR. to the front of your id and dropping the numbers at the back.

Ah I see. Not having played NV, I didn't get the reference

It's an odd name for a character, since most people would asscociate it with the Mobius Strip

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%B6bius_strip

Apply it to a character, and you get someone who is "one-sided", or seems to bemore complex than he/she is

thanos
19th Aug 2011, 17:30
The dlc in question is one of the better ones,the first was nothing and still is nothing but a major pain in the butt.

But the Mobius in qestion is an interesting follow,though I wouldnt want to end up like him.

FatalSylence
19th Aug 2011, 17:43
The dlc in question is one of the better ones,the first was nothing and still is nothing but a major pain in the butt.

But the Mobius in qestion is an interesting follow,though I wouldnt want to end up like him.

I actually haven't gotten the DLC yet. I'm just playing with some big mods such as Project Nevada.

Enraged Penguin
19th Aug 2011, 17:54
Dammit, I forgot about that. Now I'm going to spend the rest of the day and some of the night thinking about time.
But just the thought that it's possible for some parts of the universe to be older/younger than others, despite being created at more or less the same time is intense
Well yeah technically it's possible for you to be "older" than someone who is in their nineties, assuming that the way you perceive time is far slower than the way they do. But I guess it balances out in the end. A slower perception of time means that you have more "time" to think about things like this, and thinking about things like this too often is a good way to give yourself an aneurysm lol :nut:

FatalSylence
19th Aug 2011, 18:33
Frames of reference.

Mobius32
19th Aug 2011, 18:36
Well yeah technically it's possible for you to be "older" than someone who is in their nineties, assuming that the way you perceive time is far slower than the way they do. But I guess it balances out in the end. A slower perception of time means that you have more "time" to think about things like this, and thinking about things like this too often is a good way to give yourself an aneurysm lol :nut:

lol that it is. I still find it hard to grasp that time can be affected by speed and gravity

FatalSylence
19th Aug 2011, 18:38
lol that it is. I still find it hard to grasp that time can be affected by speed and gravity

Yes yes yes, this. My head hurt when I read about special relativity.

But holy crap is it interesting!!!

Charadesmith
19th Aug 2011, 18:38
6 long days

imported_the_guy
19th Aug 2011, 18:45
long long days.

Mobius32
19th Aug 2011, 18:47
Yes yes yes, this. My head hurt when I read about special relativity.

But holy crap is it interesting!!!

Yeah, it's also what makes light-speed travel impossible

Ex. - you are on a train that can get just below the speed of light. If you run forward on the train, you will be moving faster than it and thus could move faster than lightspeed. However, since time is slowed down for you, you will be moving slower than things outside of the the train, meaning that you would not actually be able to break the lightspeed barrier.

So, even if you floored the fastest car inside the fastest train on a space ship moving as fast as possible while slingshoting around a planet with a strong gravitational field you, as the person in the car, would still not be able to move faster than the speed of light.

FatalSylence
19th Aug 2011, 18:58
Yeah, it's also what makes light-speed travel impossible

Ex. - you are on a train that can get just below the speed of light. If you run forward on the train, you will be moving faster than it and thus could move faster than lightspeed. However, since time is slowed down for you, you will be moving slower than things outside of the the train, meaning that you would not actually be able to break the lightspeed barrier.

So, even if you floored the fastest car inside the fastest train on a space ship moving as fast as possible while slingshoting around a planet with a strong gravitational field you, as the person in the car, would still not be able to move faster than the speed of light.

Well, technically, time is not slowed down for ME because I am in my frame of reference. But for someone who is in a frame of reference that is not in motion with mine, they perceive the time I experience as slower. Technically, astronauts have time traveled. The speed that their shuttles go is fast enough that when they get back to earth, their clocks are behind what the clocks on earth are at. In other words, they have traveled to the future, if only for a few nanoseconds.

EDIT: If I remember correctly, the reason that the lightspeed barrier is not breakable is because it takes an infinite amount of energy to accelerate past (if under the speed of light), or decelerate past (if above the speed of light) the barrier.

Itkovian
19th Aug 2011, 19:19

The PERCEPTION of time is relative, not time itself.

We actually do know how long time has gone on, which is to say back to the big bang, which is when time began. Which is why asking "what was there before the Big Bang?" is not a correct question. It's like asking "what is north of the North Pole" :).

Then of course you get into quantum physics, and it stops making sense altogether (well, to our basic human understanding, where we need to resort to mathematical abstractions in order to make sense of reality).

Itkovian

Edit: Ok, it's not just the perception. For individuals, the effect of time is also relative. But time is still a dimension through which we travel. Just at different rates based on our absolute speed.

So, for example, people living at the equator perceive time a teensy bit slower than someone at the poles. Nothing that ever matters for humans of course, but it has been measured in satellites and is constantly accounted for by astronomers.

So, what we need then is to get put in a centrifuge that rotates us at .99c for a while (and somehow not smush us), and the last few days will pass by in no time. :)

FatalSylence
19th Aug 2011, 19:27
We actually do know how long time has gone on, which is to say back to the big bang, which is when time began.

I respectfully disagree. But that's okay.

Mobius32
19th Aug 2011, 19:43
EDIT: If I remember correctly, the reason that the lightspeed barrier is not breakable is because it takes an infinite amount of energy to accelerate past (if under the speed of light), or decelerate past (if above the speed of light) the barrier.

I think that the fact that light has no or next to no mass is also a factor. But let's ust say that there was a train that could travel, lets say 2km/h below lightspeed, and you, as a passenger on the train, ran forward, the effect of time being slowed by speed would mean that, to an observer, you would still be moving slower than the speed of light. I guess that would mean that light on the train would be moving slower as well, so it wouldn't be going at speed of light squared. Which means it would double it's speed if it left the train(through a window), but still remain at the speed of light

There was a Stephen Hawking documentary about it on the discovery channel a few months back. Crazy stuff.

Let's just agree that the concept of time is approaching the limits of human comprehension, before our heads explode, making that much more difficult to play HR when it comes out

FatalSylence
19th Aug 2011, 19:59
I think that the fact that light has no or next to no mass is also a factor. But let's ust say that there was a train that could travel, lets say 2km/h below lightspeed, and you, as a passenger on the train, ran forward, the effect of time being slowed by speed would mean that, to an observer, you would still be moving slower than the speed of light. I guess that would mean that light on the train would be moving slower as well, so it wouldn't be going at speed of light squared. Which means it would double it's speed if it left the train(through a window), but still remain at the speed of light

There was a Stephen Hawking documentary about it on the discovery channel a few months back. Crazy stuff.

Let's just agree that the concept of time is approaching the limits of human comprehension, before our heads explode, making that much more difficult to play HR when it comes out

Crazy stuff indeed.

However, the speed of light is always constant, according to the second postulate of special relativity. So no matter who you are, no matter where you are, and no matter what frame of reference you are in, the speed of light is ALWAYS the same.

Also, even though the faster you are going, the slower time is perceived by someone in a frame of reference that is not in motion with yours, you would not notice anything different unless a) You were going that speed for so long that you noticed you look younger than the other observer or b) You were both recording time on a watch or atomic clock and realize that yours is behind his, when before you started, they were synchronized.

Mobius32
19th Aug 2011, 20:07
Crazy stuff indeed.

However, the speed of light is always constant, according to the second postulate of special relativity. So no matter who you are, no matter where you are, and no matter what frame of reference you are in, the speed of light is ALWAYS the same.

Also, even though the faster you are going, the slower time is perceived by someone in a frame of reference that is not in motion with yours, you would not notice anything different unless a) You were going that speed for so long that you noticed you look younger than the other observer or b) You were both recording time on a watch or atomic clock and realize that yours is behind his, when before you started, they were synchronized.

Really? that I did not know.

And I realise you wouldn't notice the difference, I'm not talking about how the passage of time is perceived by the subect, just how it is affected

Something else to think about is the fact that the further away you look, the further back in time you can see(since light takes time to reach you)
I wonder how many stars we see don't exist anymore?

FatalSylence
19th Aug 2011, 20:11
Something else to think about is the fact that the further away you look, the further back in time you can see(since light takes time to reach you)
I wonder how many stars we see don't exist anymore?

I remember thinking about this A LOT in previous years. If the sun went dark, we wouldn't see it for 8 minutes.

Mobius32
19th Aug 2011, 20:16
I remember thinking about this A LOT in previous years. If the sun went dark, we wouldn't see it for 8 minutes.

It's amazing how imperfect our perception of the world around us is, like how colours are just the remaining light waves that are reflected off of surfaces. I wonder what everything would actually look like if we could see things as-is, without having to depend on the flaws and shortcuts that exist in the human sensory system

FatalSylence
19th Aug 2011, 20:25
It's amazing how imperfect our perception of the world around us is, like how colours are just the remaining light waves that are reflected off of surfaces. I wonder what everything would actually look like if we could see things as-is, without having to depend on the flaws and shortcuts that exist in the human sensory system

You should read The Giver by Lois Lowry. Basically the society has been stripped of all emotion. The main character starts to feel things, and becomes aware of all that he was missing.

This goes hand in hand with what you are saying. I often wonder what things would be like, too, if humans were not constrained by our bodies and could see and hear and taste and smell everything for real. I wonder what dogs hear in that higher frequency range that we don't. I wonder what colors I can't see. What tastes I can't taste.

I think people forget that our personal perception of things isn't always the way it should be perceived. Or, rather, our own personal perception may feel right, but is it right?

Mobius32
19th Aug 2011, 23:32
You should read The Giver by Lois Lowry. Basically the society has been stripped of all emotion. The main character starts to feel things, and becomes aware of all that he was missing.

This goes hand in hand with what you are saying. I often wonder what things would be like, too, if humans were not constrained by our bodies and could see and hear and taste and smell everything for real. I wonder what dogs hear in that higher frequency range that we don't. I wonder what colors I can't see. What tastes I can't taste.

I think people forget that our personal perception of things isn't always the way it should be perceived. Or, rather, our own personal perception may feel right, but is it right?

I remember that book, we had to read it in high school. I only got about halfway through it though. I should check it out one day

Yeah, imagine that all our sensory organs gave us a perfect representation of the world around us. Of course, that would mean that we would be able to see molecules and atoms, as well as hear them moving. I wonder if the movement of light photons makes a sound?

We would need something far superior to the human brain to process all that extra information, though.

Another interesting thought is that whenever you see something, the image that you are seeing is composed of something like 40% live information and 60% memory. Or was it 20 - 80? Either way, the majority of what you see comes from memory, rather than the imediate experience. An example would be seeing a dog behind a fence. If the image was made up of 100% live video info, you would see segments of a dog in between the sections of the fence. But since we mostly use memory, we can fill in the gaps and can pretty much ignore the fence

thanos
20th Aug 2011, 00:49
there are a few odd theorys on how we perceive things,not how we see them.

If you ever played Infinite space, which I need to pick up again, it has a few odd ideas about perception.

One being that a person can cease to be because we can no long perceive them,or that we no long perceive them because they no longer excist.

Amitush
20th Aug 2011, 06:40
Just got a msg that my package has been (partially) shipped..good thing, shortens my waiting a little

Saerain
20th Aug 2011, 07:19
I wonder how many stars we see don't exist anymore? Millions of stars die every day, at least one in our galaxy each day. So, quite a few.

deusfox
20th Aug 2011, 07:59
Love that the answer of how to spend ones time until the game comes out is to discuss time and relativity (quantom physics?).

Wouldn't get that on a cod forum ;)

Saerain
20th Aug 2011, 08:32
Love that the answer of how to spend ones time until the game comes out is to discuss time and relativity (quantom physics?). Oh, no, quantum physics is even weirder. I mean, the results of the double slit experiment alone are like the universe trolling us.

mad825
20th Aug 2011, 08:42
Oh, no, quantum physics is even weirder. I mean, the results of the double slit experiment alone are like the universe trolling us.

With the possible existence of the holographic principle, we've already been trolled.

doogerie
20th Aug 2011, 09:10
well for us in the uk at least just how excited are you

Charadesmith
20th Aug 2011, 09:23
This will probably get merged

I'm beyond excited and mad that we have to wait extra days. I can see it now; the forums flooding with people's impressions and we'll the game sitting on our hard drive, paid for and locked for use. Not pretty

mad825
20th Aug 2011, 09:27
I'm beyond excited and mad that we have to wait extra days. I can see it now; the forums flooding with people's impressions and we'll the game sitting on our hard drive, paid for and locked for use. Not pretty
Yep, pretty much.

beyond that, its another reason why DRM, Publishers and different release dates suck.

balanced
20th Aug 2011, 10:47
Crazy stuff http://forums.eidosgames.com/images/editor/php.gifindeed.

Speed of light varies a lot depending on what it travels through. When it passes through water it's only travelling at 3/4 the speed of light in a vacuum. (which is the defined speed of light as c, the constant.)

Dr_Bob
20th Aug 2011, 11:12
Just got this e-mail from GAME:

Qty Description
1 Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition (with Preorder BONUS DC Comic) [PC Games]

Your order has left the building and will be with you soon! Your credit/debit card will now be charged in accordance with your instructions and if you are a Reward Member your points will be added to your card.

It's finally happening.

mad825
20th Aug 2011, 11:15
Now the question remains: Who's going to get their copy first.

imported_the_guy
20th Aug 2011, 11:37
Now the question remains: Who's going to get their copy first.

LET THE WARS BEGIN!

shm0
20th Aug 2011, 11:47
man, the anticipation is killing me. I haven't anticipated a game this much, or even close to this much.. since Goldeneye for N64... some 14 years ago.

Monday is going to feel like the longest day ever. I really think I'm going to be playing from midnight until probably noon Tuesday.... I just hope I can sleep Tuesday afternoon.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Solid_1723
20th Aug 2011, 11:49
I can tell you, it won't be me...

Normally, I'd get it either on the 26th or 27th. Unfortunately I'm fairly sure that I'll not be home on both dates to receive the delivery. This would be no big deal if the delivery would be taken to the next postal office for me to pick up on Monday. But no, since in Germany products that have an age rating of 18+ are mailed under a special regulation, the package will just be taken who knows where, and I'll have to call a service number to make a new appointment for delivery...At least that's what it says on amazon.de.:(

Enraged Penguin
20th Aug 2011, 11:51
Just got this e-mail from GAME:

It's finally happening.
Yeah same here. Mine got dispatched on thursday night, that's over a week before the official release :scratch:. Even by GAME's standards that's early lol.

We'll probably get our copies in the post on Tuesday, assuming everything goes to plan and they don't get lost.

imported_the_guy
20th Aug 2011, 12:00
Does anyone care to make a heroic speech?

Dr_Bob
20th Aug 2011, 12:06
Yeah same here. Mine got dispatched on thursday night, that's over a week before the official release :scratch:. Even by GAME's standards that's early lol.

We'll probably get our copies in the post on Tuesday, assuming everything goes to plan and they don't get lost.

Unfortunately, we may not see it that early:

Thank you for preordering Deus Ex: Human Revolution from GAME.co.uk

Due to the epic size of Deus Ex: Human Revolution we have a lot to do to make
sure it gets to you in time for launch day. As a result, we will be processing your
order and charging your payment card a little earlier than usual.

You may receive an email letting your know that your order is on its way but this just
means its being held by the courier ready for delivery on launch day.

Please note all courier tracking numbers will not be active until the evening prior to the
release date.

Enraged Penguin
20th Aug 2011, 12:13
Unfortunately, we may not see it that early:

Aww bugger :(

I guess that makes sense.. It's probably something to do with that pre-order bonus comic thing eh? Either that or it's because we've ordered one of the special editions and they're just.. big. I only ordered the Augmented Edition myself mind you.

Dr_Bob
20th Aug 2011, 12:20
Aww bugger :(

I guess that makes sense.. It's probably something to do with that pre-order bonus comic thing eh? Either that or it's because we've ordered one of the special editions and they're just.. big. I only ordered the Augmented Edition myself mind you.

Same, I think it's just because there is a lot of demand for this game so they need to get the orders out to the delivery company sooner so that it gets delivered in time for release.

Here's hoping we both get it early, though.

Amitush
20th Aug 2011, 12:27
OMG IT SHIPPED IT SHIPPED IT SHIPPED
Not excited one bit =]

balanced
20th Aug 2011, 12:36
Hmm mine won't get shipped till the 25th. And I chose free delivery so might not get mine until September.
I have cheap skate principals.

deusfox
20th Aug 2011, 12:37
Oh, no, quantum physics is even weirder. I mean, the results of the double slit experiment alone are like the universe trolling us.

A friend introduced me to the double slit theory on youtube, my reaction was along the lines of 'This is real?' and 'How is the world not falling over itself trying to understand how this is possible?' Mind boggling.

As for the imminent release this game, I'm not sure what I'll do waiting the extra three days for it. Think I might have to abandon my daily lurking on here, Neogaf and SA, Facepunch etc for fear of spoilers, and the fact that it's going to make the wait seem even longer.

SethSteiner
20th Aug 2011, 13:00
2011 and and still different releases? Oh and not only that, 2011 and the company decides when I am allowed to play the game I paid for? That's insolent. And on top of it, no comment on the whole region lock issue with so many people having problems to get their order back. You just pretend as if everything is cool.

Enraged Penguin
20th Aug 2011, 13:17
Same, I think it's just because there is a lot of demand for this game so they need to get the orders out to the delivery company sooner so that it gets delivered in time for release.

Here's hoping we both get it early, though.
Lol yeah. Ah well, either way we'll have it inside of a week. I'm in no hurry though, I've somehow managed to get back into playing Oblivion again despite the fact that I've played it to death about ten times over. I hope Skyrim has the same level of replayability when it comes out.

MechBFP
20th Aug 2011, 14:00
PRE-LOADED AND READY TO GO BABY

OhSorryOldHorse
20th Aug 2011, 14:06
It's ridiculously sad how excited I am for this game. I keep telling my friends they need to get it, but, I don't think they will lmao

ZakKa89
20th Aug 2011, 14:23
It's ridiculously sad how excited I am for this game. I keep telling my friends they need to get it, but, I don't think they will lmao

One friend kept telling me to shut up about it and demanded to not say the word deus ex ever again in skype group chat.. :p He told me he would never ever get it.

Now he got it pre-ordered for 360 :D

Eidos Montreal should pay me for the free advertising I do for them :cool:

shm0
20th Aug 2011, 14:24
I think the ONE advantage of preodering on steam is that we can play it at midnight Monday (12:00am tuesday) ... I hope.

Not getting the in-game mission, real comic and dvd sucks tho.

OhSorryOldHorse
20th Aug 2011, 14:28
It depends on where you are. If you're like me, on the east coast of the US, youll have to wait until the west coast catches up. So itll be 3am for me (or whatever the difference is in your time zone)

Amitush
20th Aug 2011, 15:37
Hope the game will live to the expectations..

Mobius32
20th Aug 2011, 16:08

The universe is actually the shape of a giant trollface

But damn, electrons just keep getting wierder

JCpies
20th Aug 2011, 16:26
God is trolling us for figuring out his secrets.

Rindill the Red
20th Aug 2011, 17:07
God is trolling us for figuring out his secrets.

"You take religion, the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take science, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes."

http://www.dcdistrictdiva.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/redpillbluepill.jpg

Mobius32
20th Aug 2011, 17:18
"You take religion, the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take science, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes."

http://www.dcdistrictdiva.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/redpillbluepill.jpg

Extra-strenght Red Pill - Now with more science

cudlla
21st Aug 2011, 08:13
HI! I just wanted to ask what are your expectation about the game since the first teaser trailer (the one with augmented fetus) until now. Now, we have seen a lot of game footage, there are a lot of trailers, lot of info we can base our expectations on. I want to ask you: Is the game precisely same as you thought it to be when you saw the first teaser? Or i is totally different from your first ideas about the game.

Personally, from the first teaser I thought the game would be much more noir than later trailers showed me. But when Purity First vid came out, I had much better feeling about the game. Now, I cant wait for the game. Im from Europe, so I will have to wait a couple days longer than my American colleagues:)

EDIT MESSAGE: I also wanted to add some links to Youtube for the trailers, but it didnt worked for me. So you will have to find trailers your self. SORRY:(

Amitush
21st Aug 2011, 12:44
I try not to get too excited, understanding that it will probably not be as good as the first..
Game looks amazing, though :)

thanos
21st Aug 2011, 15:59
One day and eight hours according to the clock.-tick tock.

Here before a lock.

Mobius32
21st Aug 2011, 16:13
SO damned excited. Unfortunatly EB Games called me the other day saying there was some sort of mix-up with the shipping orders, and as a result I might have to wait a couple of extra days to get my augmented edition. :mad2:

Sigh... that's what I get for going with a game company that's owned by Gamestop

21st Aug 2011, 17:14
I expect to not be bored for a while.

Saerain
21st Aug 2011, 18:29
I always make a point of not expecting anything other than what there is evidence for, so, naturally, it has met my expectations thus far.

What I hope, however, is that I'm never forced to turn against Sarif. I love everything about the corporation, and the man, so far. I'd hate to be expected to sympathize with Purity First on anything. I hope that choice is fully our prerogative.

Amitush
21st Aug 2011, 18:37
I always make a point of not expecting anything other than what there is evidence for, so, naturally, it has met my expectations thus far.

What I hope, however, is that I'm never forced to turn against Sarif. I love everything about the corporation, and the man, so far. I'd hate to be expected to sympathize with Purity First on anything. I hope that choice is fully our prerogative.

Several endings, including the "**** my diet, im gonna hit McSonnald's" one!

cudlla
21st Aug 2011, 19:25
THX everyone for your replies! My question was more about the world of DX:HR. Was it as you thought it to be? Is the art in the game as you like it? I will have to wait until 27th according to the shop I bought my game in...

Mobius32
21st Aug 2011, 19:49
THX everyone for your replies! My question was more about the world of DX:HR. Was it as you thought it to be? Is the art in the game as you like it? I will have to wait until 27th according to the shop I bought my game in...

I like everything about it, except the small heads (stupidest "art descision" ever, imo)

The atmosphere and style are, from what I've seen, awesome and very Deus Ex-y. The gameplay also seems to have the same core principles as the original. I just hope you have as much freedom as you did then, and that there are still "hidden missions", like saving Paul or finding the bomb on the helicopter

cudlla
21st Aug 2011, 20:59
I like everything about it, except the small heads (stupidest "art descision" ever, imo)

The atmosphere and style are, from what I've seen, awesome and very Deus Ex-y. The gameplay also seems to have the same core principles as the original. I just hope you have as much freedom as you did then, and that there are still "hidden missions", like saving Paul or finding the bomb on the helicopter

I "hidden missions" as well. For me, these missions made DX what it was, it gave much better feeling about the game. It really took me in to the story and I felt like i was part of it. Not just watching world around me, but interact with it.
About the small heads, I dont mind them. I dont think that they are way too much smaller than real head is. Maybe Ill talk differently when I play the game.

JCpies
21st Aug 2011, 21:08
The only thing I dislike about the small heads, is that on one guy his hands have a wider surface than his head.

I looks okay on the women and most other people.

HERESY
21st Aug 2011, 21:32
I was expecting a third person game but was let down when I found out it was first person. I'm also not a fan of the small heads nor am I sold on the music, but I'm still going to get the game when it drops. I expect a lengthy campaign with a strong story and like the art direction and style (minus the small heads.) I look forward to the hacking mini game, sidequests and other elements of the game. I'm new to the DX series so I'm not expecting it to be like the other two games as I've never played them.

BTW, DX:HR, Gears 3 and Mass Effect 3 are the last day one purchases for me. All other games will now be purchased used, so I want to walk away with a good taste in my mouth.

JCpies
21st Aug 2011, 22:04
I was expecting a third person game but was let down when I found out it was first person. Most people were let down when they found out about the third person element...

HERESY
21st Aug 2011, 23:17
Most people were let down when they found out about the third person element...

And based on what I've read in this forum most of them were let down because they said it ruined "immersion" yet when others and myself pointed out other things that were more important things ruining the so-called immersion they had little to say.

Ashpolt
21st Aug 2011, 23:25
And based on what I've read in this forum most of them were let down because they said it ruined "immersion" yet when others and myself pointed out other things that were more important things ruining the so-called immersion they had little to say.

Probably because it had all already been said a thousand times in the 3 1/2 years we'd all been discussing it before you even joined this board.

HERESY
21st Aug 2011, 23:33
Probably because it had all already been said a thousand times in the 3 1/2 years we'd all been discussing it before you even joined this board.

Yet for 3 1/2 years people like yourself still complained about the 3rd person system.

Mobius32
21st Aug 2011, 23:38
Yet for 3 1/2 years people like yourself still complained about the 3rd person system.

That's exactly what he just said

BigBoss
21st Aug 2011, 23:43
and the cycle goes on......

HERESY
21st Aug 2011, 23:52
That's exactly what he just said

That isn't what he just said and read some of his comments from the last month or so and you'll see he still has gripes about 3rd person play and so-called immersion.

Mobius32
22nd Aug 2011, 00:05
That isn't what he just said and read some of his comments from the last month or so and you'll see he still has gripes about 3rd person play and so-called immersion.

it had all already been said a thousand times in the 3 1/2 years we'd all been discussing it before you even joined this board.

How is "we've been discussing it for years" and "you complained about it for years" not the same staement?

I'm not taking sides here, I personally don't mind the 3rd person system, although it does seem unnecissary. I'm just saying that you pretty much agreed with him with your previous statement

22nd Aug 2011, 00:08
Point: Pichomp. Pichomp, pechewy-chomp.

Counter-point: Rabble! RABBLE RABBLE!

Vasarto
22nd Aug 2011, 00:12
Things I expect

1. To be able to take Zyme or an Equivilant

2. To be able to kill A Child

3.To be able to have as much stealth, Travel and combat as much as the first game. Every Single Level better not have any Liniar modes what so ever and have at least three ways to get to the place your going.

4. Massive tons of Secondary Mission Objectives that are Completely up to you whether you want to do them or not.

5. Social Objectives all through-out the game. Lots of em! Like Completing side quests for zyme dealers to steal zyme from a bakery in Paris in order to get money or weapons

6. A Smuggler who lives underground

7. Places that are not on the map like the mole people

8. Awesome powers

9. Take downs have a limit on them and can do in first person

10. Awesome story!

SysOpPsyche
22nd Aug 2011, 01:41
4 Hubs minimum. Anything less would be too small. The hubs are rich with little things to do/find and expansive enough but actually small per sub area (no loading screens other than entering major buildings which are themselves small but very rich in detail/things to do [half at least]). Story already looks good enough to satisfy, and gameplay is decent except for maybe the hacking (it gets old really fast - I explained why in a reply to DLC/Expansions thread - wouldn't be a negative if you got experience for using a found code instead so you wouldn't need to hack to farm xp).

The game basically plays like Invisible War except the story and obviously graphics/ambience is way better - this coming from someone who Hasn't played beyond Cairo in Invisible War - might get around to finishing it.

Hopefully the story mission sequence won't be linear/on-rails at some points for Human Revolution that would kind of ruin it a little - being able to choose which mission of a set at certain points would be nice even if it would kind of break with the tradition of Deus Ex or function as a 'Choice' for story pathing maybe.

Last 'expectation' is the revival of the Deus Ex series, ie. more Deus Ex games/expansions etc. Hopefully not being orphaned and left to die/rot/fade away just because you might need to move away from the Dentons or Jensons story a bit. Cyberpunk like titles are extremely Rare and most of the others are well... poorly done.

HERESY
22nd Aug 2011, 01:41
How is "we've been discussing it for years" and "you complained about it for years" not the same staement?

I'll explain it. Keep reading.

I'm not taking sides here, I personally don't mind the 3rd person system, although it does seem unnecissary. I'm just saying that you pretty much agreed with him with your previous statement

No, I'm not agreeing with him and the statements are not the same. I said I was let down when I found out it wasn't a 3rd person game and JCpie told me most people were let down by it having 3rd person elements. I then told JCpie that those same people had little to say when more important things were pointed out to them. Then Ashpolt includes himself in the exchange and lets me know that they probably didn't say anything because it was discussed for 3 1/2 years before I joined the board. It is obvious that you didn't get what he was implying but I'll point it out to you. He is implying that I'm late, new to the board, that what I'm saying has already been covered and that my position lacks merit. However, he is overlooking the fact that he himself is still complaining about something that he was privy to and had been discussing for 3 1/2 years. Do you understand now? If you don't pay attention to where I said "read some of his comments from the last month or so..." and you'll have a much better understanding.

While I've been lurking for quite a bit, I only recently signed up, so I'm not going to be aware of every topic or conversation posted on this forum. However, for a person to have been here for 3 1/2 years and still complaining about the 3rd person view something isn't right.

thanos
22nd Aug 2011, 01:55
22 hours left and counting.

TheFuture
22nd Aug 2011, 02:25
So on the HR Facebook page (http://deusex.com/facebook) it says "Invite your friends to speed up the release schedule".

And on the Deus Ex website front page, there is a clock in the top left hand corner of the screen that currently reads "21 hours, 35 minutes until release" which puts the release at 5pm on August 22nd.

What's going on?

22nd Aug 2011, 02:27
The invite your friends thing is a lie, and the clock is wrong.

jtr7
22nd Aug 2011, 03:03
The term "release" on the Age Gate page refers only to the game, and is a recent addition.
The term "release" on the Unlocks page refers only to the media unlocks, as it always has, and applies to the current Phase. Phase 3 has not yet begun, and Phases 1 and 2 are completed. Phase 3 is forthcoming.

The context is important.

111BLACKLIGHTNING111
22nd Aug 2011, 04:43
"I was expecting a third person game but was let down when I found out it was first
person. I'm also not a fan of the small heads nor am I sold on the music, but I'm
still going to get the game when it drops. I expect a lengthy campaign with a strong
story and like the art direction and style (minus the small heads.) I look forward to
the hacking mini game, sidequests and other elements of the game. I'm new to the DX
series so I'm not expecting it to be like the other two games as I've never played
them.
BTW, DX:HR, Gears 3 and Mass Effect 3 are the last day one purchases for me. All other
games will now be purchased used, so I want to walk away with a good taste in my
mouth."

It is just so epic how failed Mass Effect 2 was. This is not an opinion. The devs got lazy
and sloppy and basically stole 50 dollars from the parents of little kids.
I dont have a problem with third person but the way it is implemented in Deus Ex is very sloppy
and gimmicky just like in james bond blood stone. You save up some juice, and then
when you choose to use your "takedown" the screen flashes black (distracting and
annoying) and then you watch a really, really, lame and overly long "killmove" (cutscene more like)
meanwhile enemies stand around and are all like "we cant do anything! hes too
awesome!"

"Most people were let down when they found out about the third person element..."

"And based on what I've read in this forum most of them were let down because they
said it ruined "immersion" yet when others and myself pointed out other things that
were more important things ruining the so-called immersion they had little to say."

How does third person give a better experience than first person? Your probably going
to say its more "tactical" or something. You know they do have something called field
of view if your worried about not seeing enough in first person, which pretty much
expands your peripherals.

"Probably because it had all already been said a thousand times in the 3 1/2 years
we'd all been discussing it before you even joined this board."

What hes saying here is: This has been discussed so much that people tire of talking
about it.

"Yet for 3 1/2 years people like yourself still complained about the 3rd person
system."

What the hell are you saying here that isnt obvious?

"That's exactly what he just said"

Yes it is.

"That isn't what he just said and read some of his comments from the last month or so
and you'll see he still has gripes about 3rd person play and so-called immersion."

Its obvious that he still has gripes about third person. Again: what are you saying
here that isnt obvious?

"How is "we've been discussing it for years" and "you complained about it for years"
not the same staement?
I'm not taking sides here, I personally don't mind the 3rd person system, although it
does seem unnecissary. I'm just saying that you pretty much agreed with him with your
previous statement"

The only thing different about the statements is that one says "discussing" and one
says "complaining".

"No, I'm not agreeing with him and the statements are not the same. I said I was let
down when I found out it wasn't a 3rd person game and JCpie told me most people were
let down by it having 3rd person elements. I then told JCpie that those same people
had little to say when more important things were pointed out to them. Then Ashpolt
includes himself in the exchange and lets me know that they probably didn't say
anything because it was discussed for 3 1/2 years before I joined the board. It is
obvious that you didn't get what he was implying but I'll point it out to you. He is
implying that I'm late, new to the board, that what I'm saying has already been
covered and that my position lacks merit. However, he is overlooking the fact that he
himself is still complaining about something that he was privy to and had been
discussing for 3 1/2 years. Do you understand now? If you don't pay attention to where
I said "read some of his comments from the last month or so..." and you'll have a much
better understanding.
While I've been lurking for quite a bit, I only recently signed up, so I'm not going
to be aware of every topic or conversation posted on this forum. However, for a person
to have been here for 3 1/2 years and still complaining about the 3rd person view
something isn't right."

Again: what are you saying here that isnt obvious? Yeah no one can expect you to know everything if you just created an account and no one said you did. And Its not like the guy has no life just because maybe he types a comment every once in awhile over the case of three years, so no theres nothing "wrong". Anyways, in the case of whether or not DEHR should have third person, I would prefer a first person experience like Mirrors Edge or Crysis (however crysis 2 is garbage) in which everything is in first person, including cutscenes. The experience created is unlike anything anyone has been able to achieve and you should really go play such a game. Why cant games be more like MGS, where you can play third person and first person in perfect combination. In the end if the devs really gave a damn about people they'd have given players the option to do third or first person in a way that "blended seamlessly with the first person" as they bull****idly said.And yes. Someones hobby being ruined by really stupid people is a reason to get hotheaded and there is such a thing as a wrong opinion, so to speak in advance.

VersusTheMoose
22nd Aug 2011, 05:20
Anyone know if EB Games or Gamestop is planning on releasing the game at midnight?

Nolerhn
22nd Aug 2011, 06:02
No one can give you a direct answer to your question. Midnight releases are done on a store by store basis, based on the number of pre-orders an individual store has. So the best thing you can do is simply call your local Gamestop and ask them if they are doing a midnight release.

HERESY
22nd Aug 2011, 06:08
It is just so epic how failed Mass Effect 2 was. This is not an opinion. The devs got lazy
and sloppy and basically stole 50 dollars from the parents of little kids.

That is an opinion. Moreover, with millions of units sold, still selling and tons of awards under their belt, I'd say your opinion is unsupported.

I dont have a problem with third person but the way it is implemented in Deus Ex is very sloppy
and gimmicky just like in james bond blood stone. You save up some juice, and then
when you choose to use your "takedown" the screen flashes black (distracting and
annoying) and then you watch a really, really, lame and overly long "killmove" (cutscene more like)
meanwhile enemies stand around and are all like "we cant do anything! hes too
awesome!"

1. Takedowns are optional. However, I've previously stated that the takedowns should have went into a letterbox mode (similar to when you use the lock-on in Darksiders) and that the black screen takes away from the gameplay.

2. Takedowns aren't the only time you go into 3rd person perspective. You can use 3rd person while you're in cover.

3. Even if the kills were in first person you would run into the same problems of enemies doing exactly what you just listed.

How does third person give a better experience than first person?

For me it provides a better experience because I want to see my character, how he looks, direct his movements, etc. I did the same thing in ME, Gears, God of war, RE4 and 5) and a ton of other games. How does first person give you a better experience than third?

Your probably going to say its more "tactical" or something.

And you're asking leading questions and jumping to conclusions.

You know they do have something called field of view if your worried about not seeing enough in first person, which pretty much expands your peripherals.

Refer to the games I previously mentioned. For me it's a style choice and has nothing to do with the field of vision. Now can you explain why some people who are complaining about immersion and first person being the greatest thing since the Gospel of Jesus Christ aren't saying much of anything about being able to see through objects that you pick up? I mean if immersion is that big of a deal why aren't people complaining about that?

What hes saying here is: This has been discussed so much that people tire of talking
about it.

Yet he is STILL talking about it.

What the hell are you saying here that isnt obvious?

I’m saying you’re a selective reader. He is implying that I'm late, new to the board, that what I'm saying has already been covered and that my position lacks merit. However, he is overlooking the fact that he himself is still complaining about something that he was privy to and had been discussing for 3 1/2 years. Do you understand now? If you don't pay attention to where I said "read some of his comments from the last month or so..." and you'll have a much better understanding.

Its obvious that he still has gripes about third person. Again: what are you saying
here that isnt obvious?

Already addressed, and if you don't have the ability to understand what has been stated there is nothing I can do for you.

The only thing different about the statements is that one says "discussing" and one
says "complaining".

http://www.criticalreading.com/

Again: what are you saying here that isnt obvious? Yeah no one can expect you to know everything if you just created an account and no one said you did.

Make sure you read the link I just provided. He is implying that I'm late, new to the board, that what I'm saying has already been covered and that my position lacks merit. However, he is overlooking the fact that he himself is still complaining about something that he was privy to and had been discussing for 3 1/2 years. Do you understand now? If I say people had little to say about more important things ruining immersion, and he pipes in and tells me the reason why is because it has been said a thousand times for 3 1/2 years before I joined the board.

And Its not like the guy has no life just because maybe he types a comment every once in awhile over the case of three years, so no theres nothing "wrong".

Did I introduce the length of anyone’s membership or when they joined to this topic or did he? Did I state that his post count or comments showed he had no life? I plainly stated that "for a person to have been here for 3 1/2 years and still complaining about the 3rd person view something isn't right." Do I really need to explain what that means? If so, it means he is on the verge of being a hypocrite and contradicting himself.

No one should point the finger at me, tell me what the hell was being discussed some years ago and pretend as if it should be swept under the rug when they have been complaining for over three years and STILL make posts complaining about the subject.

Anyways, in the case of whether or not DEHR should have third person, I would prefer a first person experience like Mirrors Edge or Crysis (however crysis 2 is garbage) in which everything is in first person, including cutscenes. The experience created is unlike anything anyone has been able to achieve and you should really go play such a game. Why cant games be more like MGS, where you can play third person and first person in perfect combination. In the end if the devs really gave a damn about people they'd have given players the option to do third or first person in a way that "blended seamlessly with the first person" as they bullidly said.And yes. Someones hobby being ruined by really stupid people is a reason to get hotheaded and there is such a thing as a wrong opinion, so to speak in advance.

As I've said in another thread, they should have given players the option to play in first or third. As for everything else you typed you aren't making much sense at all.

Cerulean Shaman
22nd Aug 2011, 07:09
No one can give you a direct answer to your question. Midnight releases are done on a store by store basis, based on the number of pre-orders an individual store has. So the best thing you can do is simply call your local Gamestop and ask them if they are doing a midnight release.

Bingo. This lad here gave you the best possible answer.

Deus_Ex_Machina
22nd Aug 2011, 07:35
I live in Miami, FL, a large city, and there isn't going to be a midnight release for DXHR at any Gamestops here, which makes sense since it isn't a major release.

mitch82cc
22nd Aug 2011, 07:50
Yeah mine in Ohio is not offering a midnight release either. Pretty disappointing considering that they have the exclusive mission that I bought from them for that one reason. Now I have to wait until 10 am to play when I could just drive down the street and pick it up at Wal-Mart at midnight. Ugh...

Saerain
22nd Aug 2011, 07:52
How does third person give a better experience than first person? I typically don't have a preference between the two because they each are more immersive than the other in different ways. First-person may be preferable to third-person because, obviously, you're not having an out-of-body experience. Yet that out-of-body experience may be preferable to first-person because it serves as a substitute for the absence of bodily awareness and peripheral vision.

Anyway, it bothers me somewhat, on principle, that the game isn't consistently first-person or consistently third-person, but while playing the leaked demo build, I found that I stopped noticing very quickly.

You know they do have something called field of view if your worried about not seeing enough in first person, which pretty much expands your peripherals. Yeah, with a fisheye lens effect. Not really a win-win, there.

Rindill the Red
22nd Aug 2011, 08:26
I went to Gamestop just to check their policy, and the one by me won't even have the game in store until a week after release. All pre-orders have to be delivered (and no release-date delivery, 1-day delivery is an outrageous 7 or more $).

Kameleon
22nd Aug 2011, 08:28
Expecting nothing.

In fact I don't expect it to be a great game at all, I am simply hoping it will be at least good.

These days games are made so frequently at such a fast rate that those quality games like Half Life, Deus Ex etc. back in the day are memories of what games can be.

Ashpolt
22nd Aug 2011, 08:36
No, I'm not agreeing with him and the statements are not the same.

Nope, Mobius32 was exactly right in how he read my post. There's nothing contradictory between my statement and what you originally said. For this reason....

I said I was let down when I found out it wasn't a 3rd person game and JCpie told me most people were let down by it having 3rd person elements. I then told JCpie that those same people had little to say when more important things were pointed out to them. Then Ashpolt includes himself in the exchange and lets me know that they probably didn't say anything because it was discussed for 3 1/2 years before I joined the board. It is obvious that you didn't get what he was implying but I'll point it out to you. He is implying that I'm late, new to the board, that what I'm saying has already been covered and that my position lacks merit. However, he is overlooking the fact that he himself is still complaining about something that he was privy to and had been discussing for 3 1/2 years. Do you understand now?

There's a difference between mentioning it and discussing it in depth. You were saying that, when you presented your counter argument of "there's worse detractors from immersion in the game," people didn't have a comeback, and you were stating that as evidence that their argument was weak. What I'm saying is: don't mistake people's reluctance to go into detail about exactly the same points that they've been discussing for 3 1/2 years for lack of a valid point.

And FYI, I'm not saying that your position lacks merit - as a fan of the series, which up to this point has been solely first person (in gameplay, at least) I could make an argument in that direction, but that's a different argument that (surprise, surprise) I have no interest in getting into again. I am saying that you can't dismiss the opposite viewpoint to yours as easily as you attempted to in your earlier post, simply on the basis that people are no longer willing to argue it with you.

However, for a person to have been here for 3 1/2 years and still complaining about the 3rd person view something isn't right.

Why? Is there a certain time limit at which disliking something becomes null and void? Do gripes have a use-by-date that I'm unaware of? Once a certain amount of time has passed, am I expected to like something? I must have missed that memo.

If you mean "if you don't like it then GTFO" then I should remind you that disliking certain aspects of the game doesn't mean I dislike the game as a whole. I like what I've played, I've got the game preordered, and I'm looking forward to playing it on Friday. But that doesn't mean I don't see room for improvement.

KnightRobby
22nd Aug 2011, 08:58
Well, I was just going back and forth with one of the good forum members out here and it was mentioned that Deus Ex: HR is just 24 hours away (crazy!). I know I haven't been out here for years (lol), but either way, I have to say I am excited about this amazing game.

If you are getting Deus Ex: HR when the clock hits midnight, let us know here (I myself will be unable).

And when it comes time to play it, don't hesitate to give us a shout out that you have the beautiful box in your hand and are ready to play!

Let's get this party started.... :D

anunnaki
22nd Aug 2011, 09:46
I'm stuck in a vent at the moment....trying to get an early copy. Help!

pewbeng
22nd Aug 2011, 09:59
http://deusex.com displays a countdown for the US (14h from now), and while I would like that to be true as much as the next guy, I'm rather confident that 00:00 PDT is more akin to 21h from now.

What's the deal? I could be crazy wrong here, of course.

Zorvan
22nd Aug 2011, 10:02
Well, while you are all standing in that line waiting for the midnight bell to toll, I will raise a glass of beer in salute as I fire up Steam, get the unlock patch, and begin the game.

SLNC
22nd Aug 2011, 10:03
Reminds me of this:

http://partyhard.ytmnd.com

Anyway, because of vacation I won't be able to pick it up at midnight. But I will at the 3rd September :D

SLNC
22nd Aug 2011, 10:06
Well, while you are all standing in that line waiting for the midnight bell to toll, I will raise a glass of beer in salute as I fire up Steam, get the unlock patch, and begin the game.

Don't be too sure about that.

Considering that there have been A LOT of preorders on Steam, expect the download servers to collapse. Was the same with Borderlands.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
22nd Aug 2011, 10:06
It says 13 hours and so many minutes remaining. :)

jaywalker2309
22nd Aug 2011, 10:07
Its looking at YOUR clock, then the time of unlock and working out the difference? so if u in the UK and looking at the US site, its saying 12hours until its the 23rd in the UK.

pewbeng
22nd Aug 2011, 10:12
Okay, but since I'm in Germany and looked at the US site.. um.. Time zones break my brain, I'm sorry, but it doesn't unlock anywhere in 13 hours, does it? Even Steam shows "unlocks in 21h" for a buddy from Virginia.

Zorvan
22nd Aug 2011, 10:14

Considering that there have been A LOT of preorders on Steam, expect the download servers to collapse. Was the same with Borderlands.

No beer salute for you. :rasp:

Castagear
22nd Aug 2011, 10:17
The funny thing for me is, i orderd the Game in december 10, because the first release date was the early 10 ^^. Now 9 mounth later we are so close^^ On 26th it will arrive. Holidaytime for me :D

jaywalker2309
22nd Aug 2011, 10:22
Okay, but since I'm in Germany and looked at the US site.. um.. Time zones break my brain, I'm sorry, but it doesn't unlock anywhere in 13 hours, does it? Even Steam shows "unlocks in 21h" for a buddy from Virginia.

As i said you kinda have to only look at your country, from your country.. looking at another country from yours will show based on your clock and theirs, ie big difference..

pewbeng
22nd Aug 2011, 10:28
Ah, alright, I hear you.

JCpies
22nd Aug 2011, 10:33
As i said you kinda have to only look at your country, from your country.. looking at another country from yours will show based on your clock and theirs, ie big difference..

Do you hae the game already?

Ronin
22nd Aug 2011, 10:34
I've been waiting since 2000 for this. Another few hours will be manageable, right? RIGHT?!

SethSteiner
22nd Aug 2011, 11:23
Yeah but at the year 2000 you didn't have to wait, you just installed your game and didn't had to wait because some company think it could determine when you have to play.

Arksun
22nd Aug 2011, 12:05
Yeah but at the year 2000 you didn't have to wait, you just installed your game and didn't had to wait because some company think it could determine when you have to play.

Yes you did, you had to wait for it to be stocked in your nearest shop, or wait for it to arrive in the post. I believe some company was determining when you could play even back then ;)

SethSteiner
22nd Aug 2011, 12:23
Wait, wait. I still have to wait that it's in stock and shipped but in the exact same minute I had the game I could install and play it. Now I have to wait for the company that they have mercy to activate it. Sure, back then we had also different release dates but normally you think "in the future it's getting better" instead it's getting worse. I don't know what someone thinks if he says "24 hours to go, are you ready?" if many have to wait a few days more without a real reason.

jaywalker2309
22nd Aug 2011, 12:24
Yes you did, you had to wait for it to be stocked in your nearest shop, or wait for it to arrive in the post. I believe some company was determining when you could play even back then ;)

Exactly. there was a time when a launch date was strictly adhered to by all ;)

Spyhopping
22nd Aug 2011, 12:26
Rather excited. I should probably get around to replacing my 360 though.

Arksun
22nd Aug 2011, 12:34
Wait, wait. I still have to wait that it's in stock and shipped but in the exact same minute I had the game I could install and play it. Now I have to wait for the company that they have mercy to activate it. Sure, back then we had also different release dates but normally you think "in the future it's getting better" instead it's getting worse. I don't know what someone thinks if he says "24 hours to go, are you ready?" if many have to wait a few days more without a real reason.

If the thought of having downloaded most of it but having to wait for activation code makes you uncomfortable, the wise thing to have done would of been to of ordered the physical version yes? ;)

Thats what I did, pre ordered augmented addition which will arrive in post some time after thursday. No biggy, I have a roof over my head and can still buy food, two things most of us take for granted in the western world. Certainly not going to throw a tantrum over just a few hours activation time difference over a video game. I'm pretty sure I won't suffer a serious accident until then so am not too worried that I won't get to enjoy it :)

Dr_Bob
22nd Aug 2011, 12:36

It's funny because the PC version is the only version that will have activation locks.

If you had bought a console version, you would be able to play immediately.

pewbeng
22nd Aug 2011, 12:36
I might or might not have just purchased a bottle of wine so i can schedule strategic sleeping a few hours before release. How do you feel about that, Eidos? Because I'd feel pretty ******* guilty, driving some innocent twenty-something into alcoholism's fatal embrace.

raz3r
22nd Aug 2011, 12:43
I want to live in the US T_T Can't wait for the game I want to play now :(

jaywalker2309
22nd Aug 2011, 12:43
It's funny because the PC version is the only version that will have activation locks.

If you had bought a console version, you would be able to play immediately.

In an ideal world everyone everywhere would be able to play the game at the exact same second.. imagine how cool that would be, knowing that everyone who bought it was playing it at the exact same time, no `i got it a day early and heres spoilers to annoy u all` etc.. i know theres `staggerered` releases for console/pc etc, but thats not my decision :)

I might or might not have just purchased a bottle of wine so i can schedule strategic sleeping a few hours before release. How do you feel about that, Eidos? Because I'd feel pretty ******* guilty, driving some innocent twenty-something into alcoholism's fatal embrace.

*checks moral compass* i feel fine thanks :)

SethSteiner
22nd Aug 2011, 12:44
If the thought of having downloaded most of it but having to wait for activation code makes you uncomfortable, the wise thing to have done would of been to of ordered the physical version yes? ;)

Thats what I did, pre ordered augmented addition which will arrive in post some time after thursday. No biggy, I have a roof over my head and can still buy food, two things most of us take for granted in the western world. Certainly not going to throw a tantrum over just a few hours activation time difference over a video game. I'm pretty sure I won't suffer a serious accident until then so am not too worried that I won't get to enjoy it :)

I did the same thing you did, pre-ordering the physical augmented edition and since I am living in Germany it will take it's time but I still feel with the guys who buy it digital (even though it's hard to understand why they did it in the first place) but it's not only the activation but also the different release date itself. If it would be released everywhere at the same time my order would be shipped earlier and I would be able to play it earlier. That also counts for everyone who is buying a console version (and no I am not buying a game like that for console, higher price, dumber AI, no sir). So the bottom line is, many people have to wait because of the activation and the different release dates.

redial
22nd Aug 2011, 12:53
I did the same thing you did, pre-ordering the physical augmented edition and since I am living in Germany it will take it's time but I still feel with the guys who buy it digital (even though it's hard to understand why they did it in the first place) but it's not only the activation but also the different release date itself. If it would be released everywhere at the same time my order would be shipped earlier and I would be able to play it earlier. That also counts for everyone who is buying a console version (and no I am not buying a game like that for console, higher price, dumber AI, no sir). So the bottom line is, many people have to wait because of the activation and the different release dates.

....just let it go

Lirezh
22nd Aug 2011, 12:54
Companies should really react to leaks instead of closing their eyes and making it worse like it happens here!
I mean a pirated copy is superior in any way (except the moral one), that just sucks because it doesn't have to be like that.

I buy a game and receive it LATER than the pirate release, sometimes weeks later.
The publisher should react on a major leak and try to change the release time, even if it means some shops don't have it in stock yet.
If the game is available for "free" before someone can buy it in a shop it's likely he'll download it.
And if someone downloaded a game already it's as unlikely that this person will actually still buy it once it becomes available. Simple logic but seems to be a too complicate riddle for some folks.

Same counts for anything else, DRM, DLC etc .. Pirated games are more performant and contain everything.
Look at "CD Projekt", after a few weeks they released a patch that removed DRM and they released all DLC that was available for FREE!
And I'm quite sure more customers than just myself will continue to buy the games from that company, just as a principle.
Well it's lost words .. But that is a reason why games sell worse year by year and it will become a lot worse than it is now.

redial
22nd Aug 2011, 12:55

Hence why they have the preload feature :)

jaywalker2309
22nd Aug 2011, 13:03
Companies should really react to leaks instead of closing their eyes and making it worse like it happens here!
I mean a pirated copy is superior in any way (except the moral one), that just sucks because it doesn't have to be like that.

I buy a game and receive it LATER than the pirate release, sometimes weeks later.
The publisher should react on a major leak and try to change the release time, even if it means some shops don't have it in stock yet.
If the game is available for "free" before someone can buy it in a shop it's likely he'll download it.
And if someone downloaded a game already it's as unlikely that this person will actually still buy it once it becomes available. Simple logic but seems to be a too complicate riddle for some folks.

Same counts for anything else, DRM, DLC etc .. Pirated games are more performant and contain everything.
Look at "CD Projekt", after a few weeks they released a patch that removed DRM and they released all DLC that was available for FREE!
And I'm quite sure more customers than just myself will continue to buy the games from that company, just as a principle.
Well it's lost words .. But that is a reason why games sell worse year by year and it will become a lot worse than it is now.

Knee jerk reactions to things would make the industry totally unstable.. The vast majority of consumers who play the game would have bought it legally and wouldnt even KNOW that a forum exists to discuss things.. So the actual number of people who'd know there is a leak is restricted to those people who probably pirate other games, therefore dont intend to pay for games if they can avoid it in the first place.. Meaning, whilst piracy is a major problem in the industry, the actual people who know HOW to pirate or have the modded hardware so can do it, dont make up the majority of the consumers, so why would we drop years of planning just because the same group of people do someting? :)

Cerulean Shaman
22nd Aug 2011, 13:24
I'm going to end up waking up a few hours before showtime. Summer is a wonderful thing, though next week I have classes again so I might as well make the most of the gametime.

Cerulean Shaman
22nd Aug 2011, 13:34
You guys didn't seem to have a problem writing in Juggernaut and other cyberhackers into your story! Obviously you still see pirating existing in 2027. : D

Isilwen Nightfall
22nd Aug 2011, 13:42
My CE shipped today! Can't wait.

Enraged Penguin
22nd Aug 2011, 13:50
Knee jerk reactions to things would make the industry totally unstable.. The vast majority of consumers who play the game would have bought it legally and wouldnt even KNOW that a forum exists to discuss things.. So the actual number of people who'd know there is a leak is restricted to those people who probably pirate other games, therefore dont intend to pay for games if they can avoid it in the first place.. Meaning, whilst piracy is a major problem in the industry, the actual people who know HOW to pirate or have the modded hardware so can do it, dont make up the majority of the consumers, so why would we drop years of planning just because the same group of people do someting? :)

The better move would be to just prevent a leak in the first place lol. It can't be too difficult to figure out which employee it is that has leaked the item in question. I don't really know how game development works to be honest, but surely there can't be too many people involved that have access to a complete retail build of a game weeks/months before it's scheduled for release? Right..?. Anyway once you have found out who is responsible you can just kick them to the kerb. If people think they're likely to lose their jobs over something like this, they wont do it. They do it because they think that they can get away with it.

Maybe I'm way off base there but either way people, especially in the games/music/film industry, really need to start making more effort when it comes to preventing leaks. They'd make a lot more money, because if someone wants a game but plans to pirate it can't pirate it, then there's a good chance they'll just give up looking and procure it legally.

Obviously there's nothing can be done once a game has been released. It's going to be pirated at that stage, it's unavoidable. But the whole problem where companies are losing sales because people would rather get a game early and free would be completely obliterated.

redial
22nd Aug 2011, 13:54
The better move would be to just prevent a leak in the first place lol. It can't be too difficult to figure out which employee it is that has leaked the item in question.

uh...what?!?!?

new to the whole internet thing?

Enraged Penguin
22nd Aug 2011, 13:56
uh...what?!?!?

new to the whole internet thing?It can't upload itself, someone with access to it has to do that. If a company doesn't know who has access to what, then quite frankly they deserve to have their software pirated online.

jaywalker2309
22nd Aug 2011, 13:56
The better move would be to just prevent a leak in the first place lol. It can't be too difficult to figure out which employee it is that has leaked the item in question. I don't really know how game development works to be honest, but surely there can't be too many people involved that have access to a complete retail build of a game weeks/months before it's scheduled for release? Right..?. Anyway once you have found out who is responsible you can just kick them to the kerb. If people think they're likely to lose their jobs over something like this, they wont do it. They do it because they think that they can get away with it.

Maybe I'm way off base there but either way people, especially in the games/music/film industry, really need to start making more effort when it comes to preventing leaks. They'd make a lot more money, because if someone wants a game but plans to pirate it can't pirate it, then there's a good chance they'll just give up looking and procure it legally.

Obviously there's nothing can be done once a game has been released. It's going to be pirated at that stage, it's unavoidable. But the whole problem where companies are losing sales because people would rather get a game early and free would be completely obliterated.

Things have been changed since the preview which was a truly unfortunate situation out of our direct control. So i changed things and made it my direct control (for pc at any rate) hence why *touch wood* you dont see anything about pc code :)

Ulysses
22nd Aug 2011, 13:58
I thought you guys got good hype and buzz from that preview? :)

FatalSylence
22nd Aug 2011, 14:00
Say what? Mah thread has disappeared. I was talking about special relativity...

Anyway, on topic. You can almost count the hours until release on two hands... Be ready.

In other notes, I'm excited for the review embargo to be lifted at 11:00. Exactly two hours from now. I'm hoping some large websites post their reviews like GiantBomb, Gamespot and IGN. To name a few.

Amitush
22nd Aug 2011, 14:02
Yes! dying to see the reviews, although I am quite sure the scores wii be very positive

jaywalker2309
22nd Aug 2011, 14:06
I thought you guys got good hype and buzz from that preview? :)

No one wants their game leaked.. no matter how well its `received` :)

Amitush
22nd Aug 2011, 14:07
My copy is currenly having a blast in the delivery shp/plane, drinking and farting with the other goods

redial
22nd Aug 2011, 14:07
Say what? Mah thread has disappeared. I was talking about special relativity...

Anyway, on topic. You can almost count the hours until release on two hands... Be ready.

In other notes, I'm excited for the review embargo to be lifted at 11:00. Exactly two hours from now. I'm hoping some large websites post their reviews like GiantBomb, Gamespot and IGN. To name a few.

i was wondering why there were no reviews up yet, thanks for clearing that up.

There better not be any spoilers!

jaywalker2309
22nd Aug 2011, 14:10
i was wondering why there were no reviews up yet, thanks for clearing that up.

There better not be any spoilers!

Yeh not long til its all out in the open, as for spoilers, that totally depends on the reviewer how much they spoil in their review.. hopefully they dont ;)

Ashpolt
22nd Aug 2011, 14:11
No one wants their game leaked.. no matter how well its `received` :)

I can understand this, though I still think it's turned out for the best for you. You probably wouldn't have my preorder had I not played the leak, if nothing else!

Bad news for you though Jay, I believe someone mentioned a couple of days ago that the PC version (alongside the 360 one) of the full game has already hit the net. :( I'm guessing these leaks usually come at packager / retail level rather than internally from the developers or publishers, though?

xaduha
22nd Aug 2011, 14:11
My copy is laying around in my disk, Steam encrypted.

jaywalker2309
22nd Aug 2011, 14:24
I can understand this, though I still think it's turned out for the best for you. You probably wouldn't have my preorder had I not played the leak, if nothing else!

Bad news for you though Jay, I believe someone mentioned a couple of days ago that the PC version (alongside the 360 one) of the full game has already hit the net. :( I'm guessing these leaks usually come at packager / retail level rather than internally from the developers or publishers, though?

Once in a warehouse they are `live` boxes yes that is true.. however the pc code is locked behind a system people cannot simply bypass with the box.. So they'll have the installer.. :)

Enraged Penguin
22nd Aug 2011, 14:28
No one wants their game leaked.. no matter how well its `received` :)I think in the case of the preview build leak you got kinda lucky though. 1) It was only a preview build so it wasn't enough to satisfy those looking for the full game and 2) It was extremely well received to the point where you're pretty much guaranteed good sales on the PC now. Whereas before a lot of PC gamers were on the fence due to them not believing that it could possibly be a "true" Deus Ex game and all that.

But yeah if the full game gets leaked then it's a problem. Because there are what I can only refer to as opportunistic people out there who may well originally plan on buying the game, but then find out that there's a pirate copy floating around and decide to just download that instead of paying for it. And that's coming straight out of the pocket of everyone involved in creating the game really.

Nyysjan
22nd Aug 2011, 15:04
Once in a warehouse they are `live` boxes yes that is true.. however the pc code is locked behind a system people cannot simply bypass with the box.. So they'll have the installer.. :)

Unless you force people to download actual parts of the game, instead of simple validation, then there is someone out there capable, and probably more than willing, to crack whatever form of drm is being used.

Hmph, four days for the game to come out, and now i leanr i need net validation to play the game, ****, i skipped Duke Nukem Forever because of the drm, and now i either need to just suck it or skip the new Deus Ex game. :(

redial
22nd Aug 2011, 15:07
Unless you force people to download actual parts of the game, instead of simple validation, then there is someone out there capable, and probably more than willing, to crack whatever form of drm is being used.

Hmph, four days for the game to come out, and now i leanr i need net validation to play the game, ****, i skipped Duke Nukem Forever because of the drm, and now i either need to just suck it or skip the new Deus Ex game. :(

lol there were a lot of better reasons to skip Duke Nukem Forever.

jaywalker2309
22nd Aug 2011, 15:15
lol there were a lot of better reasons to skip Duke Nukem Forever.

DNF was a true shame..

Mobius32
22nd Aug 2011, 15:32
The EB games I pre-orderd from had some kind of shipping error, so the Augmented Editions won't get there till a few days after release :(

I guess that's what I get for trusting a company owned by Gamestop...

MaxxQ1
22nd Aug 2011, 15:49
Meh. The Gamestop I'm getting mine from isn't having a midnight release, so I'll be getting mine on my way in to work tomorrow, rather than after work tonight.

zombieturtle01
22nd Aug 2011, 16:38
*Me Calls Gamestop*

"Hello, I was wondering if you were having a midnight release for Deus Ex: Human Revolution?"

"No, sorry, but we are having a midnight release of our more popular titles like Modern Warfare 3 and Madden!"

*Me punches man through phone*

TheFuture
22nd Aug 2011, 16:50
*Me Calls Gamestop*

"Hello, I was wondering if you were having a midnight release for Deus Ex: Human Revolution?"

"No, sorry, but we are having a midnight release of our more popular titles like Modern Warfare 3 and Madden!"

*Me punches man through phone*

Is he dead?

OnLiveFans_com
22nd Aug 2011, 16:52
I must say I'm pretty excited myself. Getting it for OnLive tonight at 12:00 AM PDT.

Dr.Poca
22nd Aug 2011, 17:01
Gamestop shipped my Augmented edition today. I went for express shipping so should get it tomorrow, which is absolutely awesome because I'm in Ireland and it's not meant to be out until the 26th here :D

3 days early! Oh yeah

djtanng
22nd Aug 2011, 17:22
No Gamestops in my area are doing a midnight release. :( They said they didn't get enough preorders. :( I would just grab a copy from Walmart tonight, but I want the extra missions. :( Why are so many people so ignorant to Deus Ex??????

redial
22nd Aug 2011, 17:27
IGN review is up. gave it a 9/10 for the XBOX version *(they said the PC version they received was not a finished version and so chose to hold off on a review until they got the retail version)

their only gripe in the scorecard seemed to be ho-hum graphics (completely understandable on a console which is in effect, a 6 year old ho-hum pc)

I hope, and expect, the improved graphics on a good PC boost the rating to 9.5

fchopin
22nd Aug 2011, 18:16
One of the achievements on steam is to complete the game without killing anyone.

This is brilliant if it's possible, i have never played an rpg with this possibility before.

Bosses don't count.

Deus_Ex_Machina
22nd Aug 2011, 18:32
I wish I could pick up DXHR at midnight, but the only retailer that's selling DXHR at midnight is Wal-Mart, and I pre-ordered at Gamestop. :(

Lirezh
22nd Aug 2011, 18:46

It was not really years of planning. The release date was set just some months ago.
The real release date that was planned and published years ago was already spoiled.
I think in the modern world you have to be able to react flexible on the highly dynamic changes the internet can introduce.
Even if it means giving the release groups more attention, after all the customer experience is more important.

I'm also quite sure your perception of "pirates" is not that right, let me explain:
I'm downloading software for good 20 years now, mostly I just consume it for minutes or ignore it at all.
The few games I really liked are either bought or at least I'm buying the sequels and talking about it to others.
Well I at least try that, in europe it's often not easy to actually buy a game in english language close to the release date. (I'm not buying digitally beause I want a physical "package" if I invest money)

The group of people downloading is not just a "group" it's an increddible huge amount of people, much more than the small group who really only buy their software.
Now saying that all these people are "pirates" and won't buy the game at all is not right, I'm the proof it's not right and I know a lot of people who think/act the same.
If a game is well done then people will like it and people are more likely to spend their hard earned money on something if they like it or had a good experience with the previous version of it. (no matter if downloaded or bought)
I'm sure thousands of fans at least tested the leaked Preview version and I'm also quite sure most of them will actually pay for the game or have already preordered it.
I'd guess you have consumed pirated music or movies and maybe games too, almost anyone has. It doesn't mean you don't buy the stuff you like, does it ?

In short words:
These days anyone can avoid paying for almost any software and often you even receive a better product.
15 years in the past this was only possible for few people, in 10 years it's likely that anyone can get anything within a few minutes.
Techonlogy develops in an exponential curve which includes the internet and available bandwidth.
It's up to "fans" to actually pay for something they can get for "free" as well.
Any industry that fails to adapt to these changes will have a hard time surviving.

Sorry for the long text ;)

HERESY
22nd Aug 2011, 19:17
Nope, Mobius32 was exactly right in how he read my post. There's nothing contradictory between my statement and what you originally said. For this reason....

No, you're contradicting yourself.

There's a difference between mentioning it and discussing it in depth.

And who is making that distinction? Moreover, the person you're agreeing with also asked "How is "we've been discussing it for years" and "you complained about it for years" not the same staement?", so you two need to really get on the same page here, lol.

You were saying that, when you presented your counter argument of "there's worse detractors from immersion in the game," people didn't have a comeback, and you were stating that as evidence that their argument was weak.

WRONG! I wasn't stating that as evidence that their argument was weak. A reluctance to address those issues, which are more problematic than the 3rd person, does not mean an argument is weak. It could be a person has not given much thought to it, is tired of it, has no knowledge of it, etc. However, it is suspect when one continues to gripe over the same thing for 3 1/2 years while refusing to address the other issues.

What I'm saying is: don't mistake people's reluctance to go into detail about exactly the same points that they've been discussing for 3 1/2 years for lack of a valid point.

See above. What I'm saying is that people need to stop complaining about the same thing when they've been here for 3 1/2 years and don't want to address the more important aspects that can hinder immersion. In other words, get your priorities straight and don't cherry-pick.

And FYI, I'm not saying that your position lacks merit - as a fan of the series, which up to this point has been solely first person (in gameplay, at least) I could make an argument in that direction, but that's a different argument that (surprise, surprise) I have no interest in getting into again.

And I can make an argument against that (and have in past posts) but like you I have no interest in going there again.

I am saying that you can't dismiss the opposite viewpoint to yours as easily as you attempted to in your earlier post, simply on the basis that people are no longer willing to argue it with you.

I never dismissed anyones viewpoint. What I'm calling you out on is your uncanny ability to complain about something for over three years while not addressing the more serious issues that you say ruin immersion.

Why? Is there a certain time limit at which disliking something becomes null and void? Do gripes have a use-by-date that I'm unaware of? Once a certain amount of time has passed, am I expected to like something? I must have missed that memo.

See above, and remember, this is coming from the same guy who told me what was being discussed before I even joined the board. Keep that in mind, people.

If you mean "if you don't like it then GTFO" then I should remind you that disliking certain aspects of the game doesn't mean I dislike the game as a whole. I like what I've played, I've got the game preordered, and I'm looking forward to playing it on Friday. But that doesn't mean I don't see room for improvement.

Already addressed, and enjoy the game on friday, bro. :)

cudlla
22nd Aug 2011, 19:31
Hey guys, I dont want to be rude, but could you please take your conversation to PMs?? It doesnt bring any interesting POVs to this topic, nor does it answer any of my questions. THX :)

Ashpolt
22nd Aug 2011, 19:32
In an effort to avoid as much unnecessary fisking as possible, I'm going to reply to that in clumps, rather than purely point by point, and leave out any bits which would simply be repeating what's already been said...

And who is making that distinction? Moreover, the person you're agreeing with also asked "How is "we've been discussing it for years" and "you complained about it for years" not the same staement?", so you two need to really get on the same page here, lol.

The distinction's a fairly clear and obvious one: "I still don't like third person" is mentioning it, and "I don't like third person because of X, Y and Z," then a further half-dozen posts of making point and counter-point, is discussing it in depth.

And I still agree that they are pretty much the same statement: complaining is a form of discussion. "We've been discussing it for 3 1/2 years" and "We've been complaining about it for 3 1/2 years," while not necessarily meaning the same thing, very well could do - and in this case, they do.

However, it is suspect when one continues to gripe over the same thing for 3 1/2 years while refusing to address the other issues.

See above. What I'm saying is that people need to stop complaining about the same thing when they've been here for 3 1/2 years and don't want to address the more important aspects that can hinder immersion. In other words, get your priorities straight and don't cherry-pick.

I never dismissed anyones viewpoint. What I'm calling you out on is your uncanny ability to complain about something for over three years while not addressing the more serious issues that you say ruin immersion.

OK, here's the thing: I personally don't think there are any more important problems with this game than the use of third person as far as spoiling immersion goes. That's the big issue for me. You obviously disagree, and that's fine, but me not talking about other issues as much is simply representative of the fact that I don't consider them as important as third person, rather than some wilful avoidance of the other topics.

[EDIT] @cudlla: I've not taken it to PMs (because I wrote this post before I saw your response) but as you can see, I've attempted to keep it as brief as possible. This conversation's pretty much winding up now, I sense. :)

Enraged Penguin
22nd Aug 2011, 19:59
Well I haven't played any of the previous games for more than ten minutes so I didn't really have any solid expectations in terms of how I thought the game would play at first. All of the expectations I have now are based on what I've actually seen of the game in action, and I'll be honest, they're pretty high.

I realize that the game wont be perfect, but I really can't see it being bad. Not unless there are glaring technical problems that have been completely disregarded by developers, reviewers and players alike (see Fallout New Vegas). But that sort of thing is more in the vein of me being blatantly lied to than it is my expectations being set too high, so I wont be too hard on myself if that turns out to be the case. Fingers crossed that it doesn't.

As for what I'm hoping for.. Well I understand that in terms of gameplay it's a bit of an all rounder, and I'll certainly be doing multiple playthroughs in various different styles, but I'm hoping I'll be able to flex my stealth game muscles at least a little bit here. That doesn't get to happen as often as it should nowadays, what with all of the focus being on machineguns and huge explosions.

minor_threat
22nd Aug 2011, 20:37
Unfortunately I will have to wait until Friday, unless my neighbour (who works at the local Game shop) can get me a copy earlier. All is not lost though - I have bought a new TV and surround sound system just for this, my friends (luddites!) are wondering what all of the fuss is about. PLUS, it's a bank holiday weekend in the UK, and I'm at home on-call from the hospital for the whole 3 days so straight away I will get at least 2 days and 3 nights of solid gaming and repetitive strain injury! I will stock up on food and coffee beans before I get home on Friday :D

The only problem I can foresee, besides powercuts and death, is finding that my neighbour has dropped the game off on Thursday . . . because dragging my arse into work on Friday knowing the game is at home would prove rather traumatic.

Bring it on!

HERESY
22nd Aug 2011, 21:31
Hey guys, I dont want to be rude, but could you please take your conversation to PMs?? It doesnt bring any interesting POVs to this topic, nor does it answer any of my questions. THX :)

He can have the last word there is no need to take it to PM.

BTW, I answered your question on page 1 or 2.

KnightRobby
22nd Aug 2011, 22:27
No Gamestops in my area are doing a midnight release. :( They said they didn't get enough preorders. :( I would just grab a copy from Walmart tonight, but I want the extra missions. :( Why are so many people so ignorant to Deus Ex??????

I'm thinking that the review scores are going to make all the difference. In the case of Homefront, etc the review scores really hurt it while it had low preorders. I suppose a game would rather have some lower preorders than not to have people buy the game at all due to reviews...The good news is it has already gotten some excellent scores, though only a few.

Wow, really? I had no idea they had that much trouble with Borderlands. There's a ton of good games coming out this year and I'm curious to see if any problems arise. I'm not a PC gamer myself, though I've always been curious. I've just heard (and from my own experiences) that it is just a pain in the butt. I just want to pop in the disk and play - lol :D PC gaming is definitely something I am jealous of though :)

throwback8
22nd Aug 2011, 22:51
It sounds like many of us are in the same boat. My augmented edition is pre-ordered at Gamestop, but they are not running a midnight launch. I could pick a regular copy up at midnight from Wal-Mart, but I might as well sleep so I can be at Gamestop when they open at 10. I will then speed home so I am not late for work. Next I will boot up my computer(I work from home), set it besides me, slap the disc in my 360, install on HDD, and play until my eyes bleed or I die from dehydration.