PDA

View Full Version : Is each path to an objective designed for one specific playstyle?

masa2009
12th Aug 2011, 02:46
When I look at the demos, the game is certainly appealing but at the same time it seems like the various gameplay alternatives are presented in a manner that is pretty segmented.

By that I mean that, while each location or goal does appear to have a few different routes to leading to them, each route appears to be distinctively connected to one style of gameplay.

It didn't feel entirely open ended but more like a collection of linear routes each tied to a playstyle and leading to the same objective.

The first game actually was a bit like that in some places. You knew if you wanted to sneak, you had to look around and find a way where there would be less enemies but probably more cameras, and sure enough there it was behind the building.

Some areas were pretty large and you could stumble on one road instead of the other by wandering around, change your course and actions on the fly.
But a lot of times things appeared pretty much laid out for you. Levels didn't feel very organic and plausible as real life facilities with legit tactical options.
Sure, on each path you were faced with a few decisions like, open the door to a closet if you have a spare multitool and collect a few items, hack a computer to intercept a message...
But in the end, it was pretty much: this way for stealth, that way for shooting.
The action was flexible at first glance but pretty transparent once you actually were on either path.

So for those who got their hands on the preview build of the new game... Is it like that?

Is there the stealth route through the vent on your left, the assault route on the front, the hacking route on the right? I read articles mentioning that DXHR had an inordinate number of vents.
So I kind of fear the "Oh here is a vent, I got a stealth character, that's the path for me" routine.

Is there clear signposting about each route's suggested playstyle? Or does each route adapt to different playstyles? Like, could I sneak my way in through the front door, for instance? Can I mix things up and are there enough options within each path? Can I go from one route to the next?

Thanks for your insight.

iloveyouXWORLD
12th Aug 2011, 02:56
i hope its not like this, im sure its not though. just mix it up as you go along. take whatever route appeals to you. take ALL the routes if you wanna find everything. it should just flow naturally. not $h1tty alpha protocols
choose one way, and one way only. or mass effects paragon or renegade. there should be ultimate freedom, like dx1.

thanos
12th Aug 2011, 03:10
He has a point, slay an entire army if you wish,or be like the wind,deadly unseen. And for what it's worth alpha protocol wasn't that bad, you want a bad game two worlds,now that's a bad game.

iloveyouXWORLD
12th Aug 2011, 03:17
He has a point, slay an entire army if you wish,or be like the wind,deadly unseen. And for what it's worth alpha protocol wasn't that bad, you want a bad game two worlds,now that's a bad game.

i couldnt stand alpha protocol. its probably the only shooter/rpg that i dislike. Obsidian did a much better job with fallout:NV

thanos
12th Aug 2011, 03:23
the mini games for it were well made,that it wasn't a longer storyline,had really cheesey lines,and a lack of in depth character customization was its problems, that and freezeing. Fallout :NV had and still has freezeing issues,is it's only problem. With Dues ex:HR with its advances graphics and pretty much take what ever path or play as you please,I hope to see Dlc's for more weapons,customizations.and missions.That and i`m a sucker for a double barrel shotgun,sadly i`ll be getting the grenade launcher,but i`ll trade it with ya,heh.

Riddik116
12th Aug 2011, 03:28

hehe i have 975/1000 gamerscore for that game... it was my first rpg game on my 360 (before then all i played was adventure and shooting games).

looking back now it is pretty bad, but if you hadnt played an rpg before it was pretty epic and actually to this day i still think it did alot of things better than oblivion (if it wasnt for the horrible framerate id still play two worlds today).

OT: I hope its not like that.

iloveyouXWORLD
12th Aug 2011, 03:44
hehe i have 975/1000 gamerscore for that game... it was my first rpg game on my 360 (before then all i played was adventure and shooting games).

looking back now it is pretty bad, but if you hadnt played an rpg before it was pretty epic and actually to this day i still think it did alot of things better than oblivion (if it wasnt for the horrible framerate id still play two worlds today).

OT: I hope its not like that.

is there actually any decent RPGs on the 360 at all? oblivion was ok, and thats about it. just another genre thats turned into **** with the "advances" of modern gaming.

masa2009
12th Aug 2011, 03:49
I'm pretty certain that it's not going to be like Alpha Protocol.
Alpha Protocol was very linear in terms of level design, you had influence on the combat techniques employed as well as the narration, but the levels' architecture was more like Mass Effect. You didn't really have branching paths, which DXHR will definitely have.
Not that Alpha Protocol was bad. It was interesting but dragged down by absolutely pathetic AI. If Obsidian had dedicated a bit of time to patching the game, instead of churning more unpolished titles at an alarming pace, something might have gotten out of this game.

Back to DXHR, what I just hope is that each playstyle will not become too formulaic and overly reliant on the same set of level design motifs. I hope it's not all "follow crawlspaces and ceiling concourses" for stealth, "locate the next security checkpoint" for the hacker, etc...
I hope they mix things up, that you can get through the checkpoint as both a hacker or infiltrator, or use an alternate route to bypass the checkpoint, also as both a hacker or infiltrator. That which parts of the mission will be different, and which ones will be the same, will not be predictable and mandatory depending on your role.

I hope that one role does not tie you to a location or a sequence of locations.
It'd be best if each room could be tackled differently, and your playstyle could be reconsidered room after room instead of dictating a whole sequence of events to reach the objective once you have chosen a point of entry.

For good RPGs on 360, depends what you're looking for. If you're looking for freedom of choice like DX, true there aren't many, but there aren't that many games of that scope on PC either.
New Vegas comes to mind. Like other Obsidian games, it was glitchy as hell but since this one sold a ton, they actually supported the game with some good patching.

Another, less famous game, is Divinity II. It's not bad, unfortunately it's the company's first console game and the 360 interface is pretty clunky. And it's not a game with a ton of freedom of choice like DX or New Vegas.
But I think it's much better than Two Worlds.

iloveyouXWORLD
12th Aug 2011, 03:59
the mini games for it were well made,that it wasn't a longer storyline,had really cheesey lines,and a lack of in depth character customization was its problems, that and freezeing. Fallout :NV had and still has freezeing issues,is it's only problem. With Dues ex:HR with its advances graphics and pretty much take what ever path or play as you please,I hope to see Dlc's for more weapons,customizations.and missions.That and i`m a sucker for a double barrel shotgun,sadly i`ll be getting the grenade launcher,but i`ll trade it with ya,heh.

wait a minute???? you like in-depth games? why do you refuse DX1? it is the king!

thanos
12th Aug 2011, 04:01
Cant refuse something I dont have,kinda like how I cant tell you something I don't know.

Riddik116
12th Aug 2011, 04:16
is there actually any decent RPGs on the 360 at all? oblivion was ok, and thats about it. just another genre thats turned into **** with the "advances" of modern gaming.

well a game being decent is an opinion, so i cant say you would agree but good rpgs that ive played are; FO3/NV, ME1&2, borderlands (if you call it an rpg), DA1, sacred 2, oblivion, two worlds 2... but yeah nothing golden (maybe FO3/NV since i did put alot of hours into them and still play them today).

ps3 isnt much better but they do have demons souls, which is a game i would almost considered buying a ps3 for, but were (ps3 and 360) are getting its spiritual sequel dark souls so ill be happy with it.

iloveyouXWORLD
12th Aug 2011, 04:21
I'm pretty certain that it's not going to be like Alpha Protocol.
Alpha Protocol was very linear in terms of level design, you had influence on the combat techniques employed as well as the narration, but the levels' architecture was more like Mass Effect. You didn't really have branching paths, which DXHR will definitely have.
Not that Alpha Protocol was bad. It was interesting but dragged down by absolutely pathetic AI. If Obsidian had dedicated a bit of time to patching the game, instead of churning more unpolished titles at an alarming pace, something might have gotten out of this game..

alpha protocol had alot of potential, but failed in many areas

Back to DXHR, what I just hope is that each playstyle will not become too formulaic and overly reliant on the same set of level design motifs. I hope it's not all "follow crawlspaces and ceiling concourses" for stealth, "locate the next security checkpoint" for the hacker, etc...
I hope they mix things up, that you can get through the checkpoint as both a hacker or infiltrator, or use an alternate route to bypass the checkpoint, also as both a hacker or infiltrator. That which parts of the mission will be different, and which ones will be the same, will not be predictable and mandatory depending on your role.

I hope that one role does not tie you to a location or a sequence of locations.
It'd be best if each room could be tackled differently, and your playstyle could be reconsidered room after room instead of dictating a whole sequence of events to reach the objective once you have chosen a point of entry.

dont worry about it, thats one aspect of the game i know will be fine. the people on these forums would have kicked up a BIG fuss otherwise.

For good RPGs on 360, depends what you're looking for. If you're looking for freedom of choice like DX, true there aren't many, but there aren't that many games of that scope on PC either.
New Vegas comes to mind. Like other Obsidian games, it was glitchy as hell but since this one sold a ton, they actually supported the game with some good patching.

Another, less famous game, is Divinity II. It's not bad, unfortunately it's the company's first console game and the 360 interface is pretty clunky. And it's not a game with a ton of freedom of choice like DX or New Vegas.
But I think it's much better than Two Worlds.

ive played fallout 3 + NV, the only worthy FPS/RPGs on 360

then there is bioshock & mass effect, which are good, but miss the mark a bit

then alphaP.....

but i meant RPGs, you know, just RPGs, the traditional kind, final fantasy? all there is in the rpg genre that seems half decent is oblivion.

SladeTeck
12th Aug 2011, 08:51
I think it may be more of a Crysis 2 type style. You have a variety of options in deciding how to deal with any given situation. Just because you go in guns blazing doesn't mean you'll be locked into doing that forever, like in the original DX.

Slightly off topic, Crysis 2 was kind of a ***** when it came to being fully aggressive. Especially later on with the Ceph hordes. Ugh, I digress however, I severely doubt that DX: HR will be shunting you into one specific play style.

ocstew
12th Aug 2011, 09:13
I think it may be more of a Crysis 2 type style. You have a variety of options in deciding how to deal with any given situation. Just because you go in guns blazing doesn't mean you'll be locked into doing that forever, like in the original DX.

Slightly off topic, Crysis 2 was kind of a ***** when it came to being fully aggressive. Especially later on with the Ceph hordes. Ugh, I digress however, I severely doubt that DX: HR will be shunting you into one specific play style.

Yep, the levels are sort of sectioned off so that any disturbances won't mean the whole building is after you.

SladeTeck
12th Aug 2011, 09:16
Yep, the levels are sort of sectioned off so that any disturbances won't mean the whole building is after you.

Yeah, that will be nice. I liked doing that in the original DX, killing a bunch of people, then completely going stealthy and using non lethal tactics on the next guys. You'd think they'd communicate with each other a little more, but then again it was the older days of PC gaming.

That sadly is not the case in Crysis, which annoys me. I digress however.

Fox89
12th Aug 2011, 09:45
I found there was a bit of that, but nothing unbelievable. A lot of vents etc in the preview build only took you so far. The first one I found on the first mission got me into the factory, but only as far as the warehouse. Then the vent kind of stopped and I had to get out and stealth my way around the level hiding behind cover or on a high shelf or something. There was another stealth-vent, but it was at the opposite side of the room and up a ladder, so you had to do quite a bit of the dangerous risky sneakery to reach it.

BioHazard4Live
12th Aug 2011, 09:52
It's pretty flexible when it comes to choosing a path to take.
For example in the developer commentary released a while back, they show Jensen infiltrating a Sarif Industries factory that has been taken over by extremists.
In the commentary they show the basic paths; infiltrate through the vent on the roof without anyone noticing or blast your way through the front.

But you can also adapt as you go, for example in the same area there is a hidden path that lets you sneak around a couple of blown up trucks and wait for the guards to walk past so you can go through the front door.
Or you could knock out the first guard -who is isolated from the rest- to make sure he doesn't sneak up behind you as you go cover-to-cover and walk through the front door unnoticed.
While inside the building there is also a vast amount of routes to take, lots of vents, cover, hidden paths and possibilities to take out the guards unnoticed, along with the option to just kill everything that moves.

Also in the very beginning stage they give you wide open areas with plenty of cover but also a lot of guards. You can sneak past these guards without causing any ruckus if you're patient enough.
And of course; they give you bonuses if you get through an area without anyone spotting you.

But at some points it's a lot clearer what routes you should take. For example while infiltrating a certain heavily protected building (I'm trying to not spoil anything here) there's three clear paths:
1. Sneak through the vent on the roof and avoid being caught when inside the building.
2. Go through the sewers while dodging (or killing, whatever floats your boat) gangbangers who've taken over the area and then hack your way inside and avoid the cameras and lasers. This will get you very close to your objective, but the risks are quite considerable as well.
Or 3. Talk your way through the guard to get (somewhat) free access to the building.

At this point it's probably good to mention that the dialogue and persuasion is very well done, the reactions vary a lot and you really have to think about what you say next to get what you want. 'Cause if you f up there is no retries

ElitesamuraI26
12th Aug 2011, 11:33
As I have seen on the gameplay video I would take the stealthy path.