PDA

View Full Version : The Deus Ex Movie - Full Script

Graeme
12th Aug 2011, 01:53
I have a full script (or just about) of Deus Ex: Part I. The full script is not here, as I want to get some of your thoughts on things. Scroll to the last paragraph if you want to skip the other stuff. (EDIT: all of the censored words are f-bombs except for the last one).

Part I covers from about a year before the start of the game to when JC Denton leaves for Hong Kong in the game. The reason why I felt it necessary to start a year before the events of the original game is because...well, a lot happens in that time period.

The movie begins in the Free Clinic, which shows the masses of sick people seeking medical care. As the credits are displayed, we see what New York City, 2057 looks like; depressed, but still very much alive. The opening scene goes from the Free Clinic to the streets of Hell's Kitchen to Liberty Island (and yes, it is in the daylight though there is a universal feeling from the dialogue and setting that things are going downhill very quickly for the United States). The camera sweeps across the bay, up to the Statue of Liberty, and then...just as the background music comes to close and all the is audible are the waves and seagulls, the camera remains fixated on the head and shoulders of Ms. Liberty. Then: boom. A thunderous explosion, followed by thick billows of black smoke decapitate the head. Screams, panic the street, and then a bunch of news clips showing what takes place over the next year: Congress approves to become a UNATCO member nation to root out homegrown terrorism.

'One Year Later' we see JC Denton at UNATCO HQ and things generally follow the plot of the game from there on in. Instead of always following JC, however, the audience gets to see what JC doesn't as the first half of the game unfolds. i.e. we see the raid on Liberty Island take place, we see the NSF rushing through Battery Park and taking hostages. We see what goes on at UNATCO when JC is not there. Here are a few UNATCO boys waiting for the arrival of the shipment at Liberty Island:

LLOYD
Paul doesn't where shades though. That's how I tell.

KAPLAN
Oh c'mon - they're not THAT similar.

LLOYD
They're pretty similar man...

KAPLAN
I don't know about that. COLLINS?

COLLINS
I could see how someone could get them mixed up. I was in the academy with Paul, back in the day; had some classes with him, so...

KAPLAN
You had classes with Paul??

COLLINS
Yeah - it was something.

LLOYD
What was he like? As cool as he is now?

COLLINS
Cool? Paul Denton is a ******* icecube man. Razor sharp. The kind of guy that would kick your ass and then go home and read a book.

KAPLAN
Wow man. You think JC is going to be as good?

LLOYD
JC is pretty ******* good man.

KAPLAN
As good though?

LLOYD:
[nods] I've seen him in combat drills. Trust me on this one.

COLLINS
Still...counter-terrorism is more than just kicking ass. It’s a thinking game at the end of the day. That's what the nanoaug Denton brothers have over the older mechs like Gunther; the human brain will always be faster than whatever processor they can stuff into Gunther's head.

LLOYD
Kappers - tell him what Hardman said about Gunther [chuckling]

KAPLAN
Oh yeah. Okay...so Hardman, you know, the ******* secretary?

COLLINS
Yeah yeah.

KAPLAN
Yeah, so I was hanging out near the entrance of HQ. Maybe I was on break or something, I don't even remember. But anyway - Gunther walks past us. And as soon as he's out of earshot, Hardman, without even looking away from his computer or anything just grumbles, "How many farm animals did Manderley have to **** to breed that thing?"
[COLLINS and LLOYD laugh]

LLOYD
This is Hardman. Never heard him say a ******* word.

COLLINS
Was he joking...or pissed, or what?

KAPLAN
Nah he was pissed off man. Didn't even crack a smile. I think he applied for a promotion, didn't get it. Went to talk to Manderley about it. Didn't like what the old man had to say.

JC begins as an obedient weapon of UNATCO and throughout the course of the night, as he's chasing the NSF and the Ambrosia shipment...he has many encounters that start to poke holes in his view of the world. He has a conversation with the bartender at the Underworld Tavern, he accidently kills a terrorist in the 'Ton Hotel and is visibly shaken as the 'terrorist's' lungs fill with blood and he begins spluttering. Here is that interaction in the hotel:

NSF HOSTAGER TAKER 2 drops to his knees. Blood starts to dribble out of his mouth; he starts gurgling as his lungs fill with blood. JC DENTON, just inches away from his face, is visibly shaken.

NSF HOSTAGE TAKER 3 and, shortly after, NSF HOSTAGE TAKER 1 from the lobby rush to the scene of the crime. NSF HOSTAGE TAKER 3 ignores JC and rushes to hold the dying NSF HOSTAGE TAKER 2. NSF HOSTAGER TAKER 1 looks on as JC DENTON keeps his weapon aimed at the two NSF on the ground.

NSF HOSTAGE TAKER 3
Dad! Oh my god…no! No! No!
NSF HOSTAGE TAKER 3 removes his mask to reveal a teenager. He begins sobbing controllably. JC DENTON watches this with his weapon still raised at them; he is also in shock.

NSF HOSTAGE TAKER 3
****! No! No!

NSF HOSTAGE TAKER 2 ceases his gasping breaths. NSF HOSTAGE TAKER 1 grabs the arm of the teenager.

NSF HOSTAGE TAKER 1
Get up! We’ve got to get out of here. GET UP!

The two NSF look at JC DENTON as he lets them get up and begin to run down the hallway. UNATCO TROOPS, having heard the gunshots, sprint into the lobby with their weapons ready.

UNATCO TROOPS
They’re upstairs! Move it!

THE UNATCO TROOPS arrives to watch the NSF sprinting down the hallway, as JC DENTON looks on without firing. The UNATCO TROOPS arrives at JC DENTON’s position and unload on the terrorists. A burst of assault rifle fire cuts down NSF HOSTAGE TAKER 1. NSF HOSTAGE TAKER 2 rounds the corner and disappears from their sight.

NSF HOSTAGE TAKER 2, the only one still alive, busts his way into an empty room with the UNATCO TROOPS following not far behind. He throws open a window and escapes the building via the fire escape.

UNATCO TROOP 1
He’s gone. But don’t worry, the bots’ll get him.

UNATCO TROOP 2
What the **** was that JC? You let him get away! I thought you nano-augs were supposed to be born and bred killers.

Paul Denton is portrayed as intellectual, and suspiciously left-wing like he is in the game. Here is on his way into Hell's Kitchen in the back of troop van, giving a bit of a speech to the troops as they drive into the ****show that Hell's Kitchen turns into (some of you may recognize parts of this):

PAUL DENTON
Necessity knows nothing else but victory. But the victory that is at stake tonight is not won or lost on the battlefield. It is won or lost within ourselves. It is about what kind of men we become tonight.

The honest man looks himself in the mirror every morning, and says, “I’m going to get better, I’m going to get better, and I’m going to get better.” He doesn’t complain. He doesn’t make excuses. He’s not out to make himself feel important by beating up on some gangsters.

That is the dishonest man. The man who cowers when confronted with truth; the man that would rather lie to himself than free his consciousness. We are out for victory tonight, not for blood. Ask yourselves what victory really means for you tonight.

Now, some of the script is original, some of it is ripped out of the game, some of it is ripped out of the game but moved around to different characters. Here is JC and Paul at the airfield:

PAUL DENTON
We are not a military outfit. Our attacks are symbolic, intended to influence the public. That’s how UNATCO knew it could frame us with the Statue of Liberty bombing. I know that we did not bomb that structure JC!

JC DENTON
Even if the NSF were not responsible for the Liberty bombing, they have claimed responsibility for other attacks; just as brutal; meant only to intimidate.

PAUL DENTON
Government surveillance and intimidation is called “freedom from terrorism” or “liberation from crime.” Freedom and liberty have become words without meaning. That’s what this war is – a war over the very meaning of words.

JC DENTON
Is that how you justify the deaths of those who die in these attacks?

PAUL DENTON
Culture, by definition a shared territory of meaning, inspires conflicts far more destructive than any dispute over territory on the Earth’s surface. Meaning does not exist a priori. It is order imposed by individuals with arsenals of communication devices – radio, TV, newspapers, even the internet now, is controlled.

JC DENTON
So?

PAUL DENTON
Every inscription, every utterance, every gesture seeks to dominate the plain of meaning. Real violence is only an extension of this process.

JC DENTON
Then that’s a ‘yes’? The loss of innocent life is justified in your view?

PAUL DENTON
It is not justified. It is the course of action that we must take to get our own message before the public. I admit we too have been violent. We have even killed people. But it is the message – the communication EVENT – that we target, not a few human beings, or a building, or a historical landmark.

And, because of the emotional impact it would have, Paul dies in the hotel...in a dramatic, slow-mo shoot out where it takes 50 bullets to bring him down of course:

JC
What are you going to do?

PAUL
The Declaration of Independance tells us that when we have suffered a long train of abuses and usurpations, rebellion is not a right...

FEDS/UNATCO
This is your only warning.

PAUL
...it is a duty.

FEDS/UNATCO
We're coming in!

PAUL
And this is where I make my stand.

Now, the reason why I'm not giving you the script yet...is because I want to get the community's thoughts on a number of things. I had a screenwriter friend of mine (I'm not a screenwriter btw) read it. He has played Deus Ex and enjoys it. His thoughts were basically: it is waaaaaayyyyy too deep and complicated and not entertaining enough. And basically, I agree with him. I feel as though, if the community were to see this movie, they would love it. If my political science class were to see it, they would love it. But you can't get a movie made for that audience. I only find what I wrote entertaining because it's giving us more about the characters and about the story that we all love. My friend's view was that it has to be dumbed waaaaayy down if anyone is going to get it. (I didn't share particularly 'deep' parts of the script with you btw. My friend just thinks that I'm too interested in getting the messages and themes of DX across (about questioning government, what is terrorism?, etc. etc. rather than focusing on entertaining people).

I will share the script once I tidy it up a bit. In the meantime, I want to get people's thoughts on a DX movie...should it be a straight recreation, should it be a side of the story that you don't get in the game. Right now, it's JC's quest that ends up totally changing his worldview by the end of the night. The second movie will delve deeper into the conspiracy (obviously) but also deeper into questions about human nature, about our future, and about whether or not we're able to govern ourselves or if we'll always be destined to be fighting and seeking to control each other.

JCpies
12th Aug 2011, 07:52
Before you submit it, do a spell check. Good luck.