PDA

View Full Version : XGA support for Xbox 360?

P4NCH0theD0G
11th Aug 2011, 01:45
Will there be XGA Resolution support for the Xbox 360?

I own an older Plasma TV that, despite its packaging claim, is not really "HD-Ready". It features a resolution of 1024x768, which is slimmer than regular 720p, but higher. Apparently this resolution is called XGA (Yay for the useless bit of information).
After I recently connected my new PC with the Windows 7 Media Center to my Xbox 360, the XGA resolution suddenly appeared as an option in my console's HDTV settings. And since it is the TV's inherent resolution, the picture quality is the best yet, better than 720p (which cuts off some pixels at both sides).

Now, some games apparently don't care at all about that change and still display in fullscreen, albeit a better picture than my former 720p (like Prototype or Army of Two 40th Day or the new Madden 12 demo).
Other games show a scaled 720p picture, meaning I have a better picture quality, but also less picture as the wider 720p picture is displayed with black bars on top and bottom (Bulletstorm, for example).
And then there's games like Darksiders, which features black bars during the cutscenes and menu, and mashes up the picture during gameplay on the left side while on the right are colorful video artifacts.

And since I just pre-ordered DEHR, I wonder if it will support fullscreen mode in XGA 1024x768 resolution. And if developers are even aware of the possibility of an issue here.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

IdiotInAJeep
11th Aug 2011, 04:36
I'd assume it would support it if the console does.

Romeo
11th Aug 2011, 19:41
Will there be XGA Resolution support for the Xbox 360?

I own an older Plasma TV that, despite its packaging claim, is not really "HD-Ready". It features a resolution of 1024x768, which is slimmer than regular 720p, but higher. Apparently this resolution is called XGA (Yay for the useless bit of information).
After I recently connected my new PC with the Windows 7 Media Center to my Xbox 360, the XGA resolution suddenly appeared as an option in my console's HDTV settings. And since it is the TV's inherent resolution, the picture quality is the best yet, better than 720p (which cuts off some pixels at both sides).

Now, some games apparently don't care at all about that change and still display in fullscreen, albeit a better picture than my former 720p (like Prototype or Army of Two 40th Day or the new Madden 12 demo).
Other games show a scaled 720p picture, meaning I have a better picture quality, but also less picture as the wider 720p picture is displayed with black bars on top and bottom (Bulletstorm, for example).
And then there's games like Darksiders, which features black bars during the cutscenes and menu, and mashes up the picture during gameplay on the left side while on the right are colorful video artifacts.

And since I just pre-ordered DEHR, I wonder if it will support fullscreen mode in XGA 1024x768 resolution. And if developers are even aware of the possibility of an issue here.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
As the fellow below me posted, it is usually the console's doing, not the games. The games are simply required to post 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i. Modern games must also do 1080p. If certain games do XGA better or worse, I suspect that'd be a matter of either chance, or the engine's adaptability...

Probably about the best answer you'll get.

P4NCH0theD0G
11th Aug 2011, 21:55
I would have to respectfully disagree (I think).

The very fact that three different games react distinctly different to the change in Resolution should validate the claim of the game being the decisive factor (I think). The console does support it, obviously, otherwise I would have no picture at all. It's the games that react differently to it, i.e. it's the games that either
- demand an absolute 16:9 display (which 720 and 1080 are, resulting in black bars),
- can cope with a 4:3 display (which 1024x768 is, even in widescreen), or
- can't hack it all and do strange things like Darksiders.

Here's a vid I did for the Darksiders XGA graphical glitch (glitch starts @ 55 sec, but you can see the working resolution in the beginning).

QzO-7J5OB-s

I guess it's either a very small thing to support, or something ridiculously complicated to do. But I'm still hoping...

On a side note, I once played Two World II on a friend's console on a similar 4:3 LCD TV. The console was set to 720p, but since that was wider than the screen was, parts of the HUD were not visible / cut off at the sides of the screen (exactly 128 pixels of picture were missing on either side). The game was pretty much unplayable, until we found an option to "Put HUD into Safe Zone", which moved the HUD elements to places that were well within the screen. There's also the Visible Screen Setup in Medal of Honor (or was that MW2?) were you could tell the game where your screen ends, so nothing is being cut off.

So, maybe I'm going to make a new thread, hoping for a feature like that...

Anyway, thanks for the answers...

Edit:
On further reflection, I am now convinced that it's the game engine's ability to accommodate a change in resolution and format that is the decisive factor...