PDA

View Full Version : UK-based DX fans meetup! - At Eurogamer Expo? 25/09

Ashpolt
8th Aug 2011, 08:47
This idea's been kicked around for a while, it's time someone actually got the idea at least vaguely organised. :P

The title pretty much says it all: this thread is about seeing who of the UK-based DX fans on here would be interested in having a meetup, probably in London. Obviously non-UK based people are free to join as well (no discrimination here!) but you may have a bit of travel! :rasp:

In terms of format, I'd suggest a family-friendly pub to start, as I know a couple of the people who expressed interest before were under 18. Those of us who are over 18 can always move on to somewhere else later in the evening!

If you're interested, leave a message below, I'll keep this post updated to have a list of those who want to come along. Also put down when would be good for you: if we want to meet up before the release, Saturday the 20th would probably be the best (I think this weekend's too soon to organise, plus I'm at a wedding anyway!) otherwise it'll have to be after release, preferably at least a few weeks back so we'll all have had time to complete it!

So yeah, put your name down, and let's make this happen!

__

*Moderator Edit*

People under 18: make sure you get your parents' consent before attending a forum meeting and make sure it's in a public place.

68_pie
8th Aug 2011, 09:00
You can count me in.

Brockxz
8th Aug 2011, 09:07
If this happens sometime in next 4-5 weeks then maybe i will fly to London from Latvia. It's anyway really cheap.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
8th Aug 2011, 09:20
I want to play DXHR first... but after that I'll be free to participate. :wave:

Spyhopping
8th Aug 2011, 09:22
I'll certainly be there if it falls on a good weekend. 3rd September too soon? 10th?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
8th Aug 2011, 09:43
I usually find myself in London around the October/November period.... it's a long trek from the wilderness of West Wales. :D

Rainhands
8th Aug 2011, 09:47
October would be a great time for a meet. We could have a pub dinner then maybe head to a club afterwards or something(cinema etc).

JCpies
8th Aug 2011, 09:48
Does anyone else here go to the MCM Expo?

Spyhopping
8th Aug 2011, 09:53
^I don't know a great deal about it, but it looks like it'd be a great thing for the meet to coincide with. :)

October/November time is fine for me, so long as I can get a few weeks notice. I'm accustomed to 6-7 hour chuggy train journeys every other week, so a straight through hop to London is a very comfortable and short one for me.

rokstrombo
8th Aug 2011, 09:57
Internet forum meetup prediction #1: Only 2% of people who at one time said they will come, actually turn up. Prediction #2: Of those 2%, half will spend the whole night creepily photo-documenting the other person during joyous moments such as sitting at a table, and standing at a table. Prediction #3: The meetup is cancelled, go away!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
8th Aug 2011, 10:00
Hehe... some truth in that. :D

s.pasanen
8th Aug 2011, 10:15
Im from Finland and me and my girlfriend are going to London just next week.

Internet forum meetup prediction #1: Only 2% of people who at one time said they will come, actually turn up. Prediction #2: Of those 2%, half will spend the whole night creepily photo-documenting the other person during joyous moments such as sitting at a table, and standing at a table.

Sounds like a great party!

Prediction #3: The meetup is cancelled, go away!

Nooooooooooooooo!

Ashpolt
8th Aug 2011, 10:45
Internet forum meetup prediction #1: Only 2% of people who at one time said they will come, actually turn up. Prediction #2: Of those 2%, half will spend the whole night creepily photo-documenting the other person during joyous moments such as sitting at a table, and standing at a table. Prediction #3: The meetup is cancelled, go away!

Given that I'm only expecting a max of around 10 people to sign up for this, 2% of that would be one fifth of a person! I know we're all excited about human augmentation, but putting all the body's vital functions in just the head and 1/2 of the chest is going too far...

Personally I'd say end of October / November is a bit further away than would be ideal (considering the buzz around the game will likely have died out somewhat by then) but if that's when is best for most people then it can work I guess.

iloveyouXWORLD
8th Aug 2011, 14:58
wouldnt some kind of mini convention or something be more suitable? people would be more likely to show up.

Ashpolt
8th Aug 2011, 15:27
wouldnt some kind of mini convention or something be more suitable? people would be more likely to show up.

What do you mean by a mini-convention? Hiring out a hall etc? That'd be expensive - the organisation here's not anything official to do with Eidos Montreal or Square Enix, it's just a completely informal gathering of DX fans. Hell, it's barely even that, it's more just a gathering for people on this forum - of course others are welcome to come, but we won't promote it outside here. It's more "we've been talking for years now, let's meet up IRL!" rather than anything else. :)

Ilves
8th Aug 2011, 16:09
This sounds like such fun. You guys have a good time! In the meantime, we'll just sit here and sulk. ;)

TrickyVein
8th Aug 2011, 16:44
I'm going to go order some water at a restaurant that isn't carbonated.

sonicsidewinder
8th Aug 2011, 17:16
I'd like that. but London is quite aways away. We shall see...

Plus it looks like a Gears of War level down there right now with all the commotion.

Ashpolt
8th Aug 2011, 17:29
I'd like that. but London is quite aways away. We shall see...

Plus it looks like a Gears of War level down there right now with all the commotion.

Yeah, this is all assuming there's still a London to meet up in!

Ilves
8th Aug 2011, 18:40

That'll be tapwater I mean €2,30.

Fluffis
8th Aug 2011, 19:45

I don't think I've ever been to a carbonated restaurant. Sounds interesting.

AlexOfSpades
8th Aug 2011, 20:46
Wish i could come.

Ashpolt
9th Aug 2011, 09:16
Wish i could come.

How hard is it to get to London from [Unavailable]?

[EDIT] For "London", substitute in "the smoking post-apocalyptic wilderness formerly known as London," as this meetup is provisionally planned for October / November.

KingNL
9th Aug 2011, 10:09
London is a war-zone

TrickyVein
9th Aug 2011, 13:03
That's called a "dangling modifier" as my HS English teacher used to say, Fluffis.

Spyhopping
9th Aug 2011, 20:58
So... assuming London doesn't become a crater in the ground, life will go on. Shall we narrow down the dates? I'd be more up for mid to late September meet, but failing that, when later down the line can people do it? We should start a poll or something. Can you add polls to threads post submission? Never tried it myself.

JCpies
9th Aug 2011, 21:10
I'll be surprised if any of the UK is left.

hashi
9th Aug 2011, 21:12
It's gonna be a riot when you guys meet up!

Oh well...I tried.

KingNL
9th Aug 2011, 22:13
It's gonna be a riot when you guys meet up!

Oh well...I tried.

i lol'd :D

Ashpolt
9th Aug 2011, 23:09
So... assuming London doesn't become a crater in the ground, life will go on. Shall we narrow down the dates? I'd be more up for mid to late September meet, but failing that, when later down the line can people do it? We should start a poll or something. Can you add polls to threads post submission? Never tried it myself.

I don't seem to be able to edit in a poll afterwards, but that's OK, if people post when's good for them I'll keep a mental list.

As I live fairly close to London, I can get in pretty much whenever, so I'm happy to second the suggestion of mid to late September. There don't appear to be any completely essential game releases around then either, which is a bonus! :D

shadowblade34
10th Aug 2011, 00:26
Thinking I could come, but I may have school depending on when in Oct/Nov it is. I'm only 15 after all.

iloveyouXWORLD
10th Aug 2011, 01:20
screw that, im gonna be playing human revolution day in, day out.
if it ends up being bad (im sure it wont) then ill probably just have a good moan/rage about it on the forums.
if i was a long time poster i would definately come though. if it was a convention, id be there in an instant. but some old pub? got bored of em by the time i turned 19. i blame the smoking ban. although i did used to go every week. i started to get so fussy that the pub we went to HAD to have a pool table. but i do love pool/snooker. still boring to watch though, like any sport that aint extreme.

Solid_1723
10th Aug 2011, 21:39
I can't be sure right now, but I'd definitely like to fly over and meet some of you guys and gals in person!
I guess some date in October would be best suited for me as I'm planning to get some job during late August till September to help my finances.

EDIT:BTW I'm not a long time poster(lurker though)myself but I've come to really value the opinions and general input of a great many members here and this is by far the best forum I've been a part of, yet!

[FGS]Shadowrunner
11th Aug 2011, 00:57
Thought. You're gonna need a big pub, West End pubs are a nightmare, especially at the weekend. Book a "VIP" room or upstairs floor in a friendly bar, restaurant or club maybe, if there's a guaranteed number of people, bars will do all sorts of deals for the night. Suggest Throne G/6 level of security and PEPS set to stun.

iloveyouXWORLD
11th Aug 2011, 01:04
Shadowrunner;1646719']Thought. You're gonna need a big pub, West End pubs are a nightmare, especially at the weekend. Book a "VIP" room or upstairs floor in a friendly bar, restaurant or club maybe, if there's a guaranteed number of people, bars will do all sorts of deals for the night. Suggest Throne G/6 level of security and PEPS set to stun.

This aint 2027, stick with the prod. ill take the G.E.P gun

(we do have guided explosive projectile guns of some sort in the army im sure)

[FGS]Shadowrunner
11th Aug 2011, 01:27
Prolly all get arrested for being a "gang" with the Denton/Jenson sunglasses and PVC trenchcoats in Wetherspoons. Couple of pints of cider and a nice tasering by a rookie whose never tasered before :D

If it's in the West End, prolly will get picked, tooled, hacked and medicated, that's for sure.

Likely that some of you will have the gray death by the end of the night.

And guys, don't try to frob the riot cops...

TrickyVein
11th Aug 2011, 02:16
Oh hawt dayum ya'll should go dressing up in trenchcoats and wearing sunglasses. The whole deal. I like how you think. Totally do that.

iloveyouXWORLD
11th Aug 2011, 03:02
Shadowrunner;1646730']Prolly all get arrested for being a "gang" with the Denton/Jenson sunglasses and PVC trenchcoats in Wetherspoons. Couple of pints of cider and a nice tasering by a rookie whose never tasered before :D

If it's in the West End, prolly will get picked, tooled, hacked and medicated, that's for sure.

Likely that some of you will have the gray death by the end of the night.

And guys, don't try to frob the riot cops...

lol picture that! get the whole cast in there- MIBs, omar, simons, page, carter & even a lunatic in a homemade karkian outfit!

[FGS]Shadowrunner
11th Aug 2011, 18:25
I can imagine MIB, Simons, Page and Carter have a great night, while Omar and Karkian spend the night sharing a police cell.

Spyhopping
7th Sep 2011, 20:58
Bump. Brits still interested? Should we just set a date and see what happens?

Ashpolt
7th Sep 2011, 21:01
Bump. Brits still interested? Should we just set a date and see what happens?

I suggested the other day (in the "other games" thread, should've done it here really) that perhaps we could meet at the Eurogamer Expo, and then go for a drink afterwards? I'm definitely going, got my tickets booked for the 25th (Sunday) already, so if anyone else is going to be there let me know.

If that doesn't work for people, or if the tickets sell out, I'm open to other ideas.

Spyhopping
7th Sep 2011, 21:10
Christ, it's been a year since Eurogamer. Anyway, yeah that's a good idea. Good weekend for me, anybody else?

jaywalker2309
7th Sep 2011, 21:22
There is a bit of a problem trying to arrange these sort of meets on a forum thats not got an `adult` age restriction.. sounds ott to have to think it but you cannot really discuss meet ups if theres a chance of a minor being involved, for simple reason of your actions can be miscontrued by a parent who doesnt know whats being said and any why etc.

Of course am not saying anyone is intentionally thinking anything dodgy but as the age of this forum is 13+ its a very grey area :(

The eurogamer expo will be a very public event and of course theres nothing stopping adult and other like minded adults meeting up etc :) if anything that would be very cool, and i've done meet ups for Tomb Raider before.. just be wary of who you talking to about things.. :)

unbeatableDX
7th Sep 2011, 21:25
hello jaycw2039, any chance we are getting a patch? for consoles too? thank you

Spyhopping
7th Sep 2011, 21:33
A similar thing crossed my mind, but along with me doubting younger people would be interested, I couldn't think of a way to get around it other than asking minors to bring along an adult they knew. I have to say, it is rather odd that the forum for an 18+ game doesn't have the same restrictions placed on it.

Ashpolt
7th Sep 2011, 22:43
There is a bit of a problem trying to arrange these sort of meets on a forum thats not got an `adult` age restriction.. sounds ott to have to think it but you cannot really discuss meet ups if theres a chance of a minor being involved, for simple reason of your actions can be miscontrued by a parent who doesnt know whats being said and any why etc.

Of course am not saying anyone is intentionally thinking anything dodgy but as the age of this forum is 13+ its a very grey area :(

The eurogamer expo will be a very public event and of course theres nothing stopping adult and other like minded adults meeting up etc :) if anything that would be very cool, and i've done meet ups for Tomb Raider before.. just be wary of who you talking to about things.. :)

You make a very good point. . As you say though, the Eurogamer Expo is very public - but more importantly, anyone under the age of 16 must attend with a parent or guardian anyway, so that in itself should sort out any of the issues we might have, should the meet go ahead during that event.

You going to be at Eurogamer, Jay?

[EDIT] Can a mod please edit the thread title to:

UK-based DX fans meetup! - At Eurogamer Expo? 25/09

I tried, but it just seemed to edit the heading of the first post, not the actual title. :(

Lady_Of_The_Vine
7th Sep 2011, 23:06
[EDIT] Can a mod please edit the thread title...

Done. :thumb:

Ashpolt
7th Sep 2011, 23:11
Thanks MI!

Driber
8th Sep 2011, 08:58
As mentioned already, a very public event like the expo would be desirable for a forum meet-up if minors are to attend.

Should however the location suggestion be changed to a more private place (like someone's house) then make sure that the exact location is not publicly posted on this forum. And especially not the exact time.

It would be alright to discuss the city in where to meet up, but specific street names and house numbers should be communicated in private with those who are really interested in meeting up once the location has been decided.

Not that I expect anyone here to carelessly post their home address in public; but I just wanted to have this covered, as we don't want a facebook-party-crash-riot thing on our hands here ;)

And as MyImmortal edited into the first post, minors should always get the consent of their parents to attend, or be accompanied by one.

I have to say, it is rather odd that the forum for an 18+ game doesn't have the same restrictions placed on it.

The Deus Ex section is not the only part of the Eidos Forums ;)

jaywalker2309
8th Sep 2011, 09:04
Also Deus is 15 rated in UK.. not 18 :)

Driber
8th Sep 2011, 09:07
True that :cool:

Ashpolt
8th Sep 2011, 09:21
Should however the location suggestion be changed to a more private place (like someone's house) then make sure that the exact location is not publicly posted on this forum. And especially not the exact time.

It would be alright to discuss the city in where to meet up, but specific street names and house numbers should be communicated in private with those who are really interested in meeting up once the location has been decided.

Not that I expect anyone here to carelessly post their home address in public; but I just wanted to have this covered, as we don't want a facebook-party-crash-riot thing on our hands here ;)

Don't worry, the plan wasn't ever to have this at a private residence - I know I damn well wouldn't want to give out my home address on the internet, and I'm sure others would agree! It'll either be at an event like Eurogamer, which will have its own age restriction in place, or failing that the next most likely option is a pub, which will require participants to be 18+. Not meaning to exclude anyone, but I think in this instance most people who would be interested in attending will be "of age" anyway.

Spyhopping
8th Sep 2011, 10:01
I don't think anyone was considering making this some sort of "private" meet up. I really wouldn't be interested if that were the case. :/

The Deus Ex section is not the only part of the Eidos Forums ;)

Mhhm, I'm aware of that. Still, each game has it's own section, subject matter and target audience. Just an observation.

Also Deus is 15 rated in UK.. not 18 :)

Oh yeah! You can tell I did my research there. :P

Ashpolt
23rd Sep 2011, 19:00
Just bumping this - is anyone going to the Eurogamer Expo? Anyone going on Sunday, specifically?

JCpies
23rd Sep 2011, 19:06
Didn't know about it... It's pretty late so I guess I can't go, and I can't attend the MCM Expo this year either.

I wish there was a Deus Ex con.

Spyhopping
24th Sep 2011, 16:39
I didn't get a Eurogamer ticket as activity kind of stopped in this thread and you can get tickets on the day past a certain time anyway. I can catch a free ride to London in the morning if I want it tho. Hmm...