PDA

View Full Version : PC aim-assist

paracelsis
7th Aug 2011, 17:52
Hi all, long-time reader with my first question!

Well 2 really, will the game support the 360 controller on PC and, if it does, will it have aim-assist on PC?

I don't think these questions have been fully answered although I'm happy to be shown the relevant threads.

Cheers :)

Amitush
7th Aug 2011, 17:59
Aim assist sux!! hope they wont force it on the consoles ( prolly not )

Shralla
7th Aug 2011, 19:34
Aim assist is almost always forced on consoles, because the thumbstick is such a horrendously inaccurate input device. I don't see what the big deal is. Lots of people talk pretty big because they play Halo or something with Aim Assist turned off, and they'll tell you that they're still wicked good. Well that's great, they can pub star all they want, but the fact is that without aim assist, they would never touch the competitive MLG players, because playing with it is just part of the game.

Ashpolt
7th Aug 2011, 19:42
To answer the first of your questions, yes, the game will support the 360 controller on PC: in fact, on their recent bus tour of Germany they've only been demoing the PC version with the 360 controller, not with mouse and keyboard.

As for whether it'll have aim-assist, I can't help you on that one, I'm afraid.

Though why you'd want to play a (primarily) first person game on PC with a gamepad I have no idea...:scratch:

Shralla
7th Aug 2011, 19:51
As has been discussed before, not everybody is as in love with the mouse and keyboard setup as long-time PC gamers like us. I would personally rather have a mouse and keyboard for pretty much any first-person experience, whether it be shooter, RPG, or Mirror's Edge. My friend Zach, however, has been a console gamer his whole life, and quite a passionate one at that. I've been trying to edge him into PC gaming ever since he and his girlfriend got a computer that was gaming-capable late last year, and the progress has been slow. His main complaint is that he just can't stand mouse and keyboard, so I've been on the constant lookout for games coming out that will support the gamepad on PC. He even said he'd get BF3 on PC if it supported gamepad, so I have my fingers crossed for that one, because I'd like to be able to play with him.

Is it weird? From my perspective, hell yeah. But I guess it's what works for him, and he is pretty excellent with a controller. I guess it's kind of one-sided that people who grew up on consoles seem to expect that PC games support the gamepad, while it comes as no surprise to us that consoles don't support mouse and keyboard, but look on the bright side. That's just another in the long list of advantages PCs have over consoles.

Pretentious Old Man.
7th Aug 2011, 20:15
He even said he'd get BF3 on PC if it supported gamepad, so I have my fingers crossed for that one, because I'd like to be able to play with him.

AHA! So you're just setting this poor fellow up so you can destroy him with your more accurate input devices. A devilish plan, Shralla you bounder. :D

Shralla
7th Aug 2011, 20:20
Possibly, but he's historically been better with a controller than I typically have been with a mouse and keyboard, because he's one of those 110% effort types, where if he enjoys something enough, he more or less plays the crap out of it until he's the best. I've never seen somebody go 22-0 on Bad Company 2 conquest before.

paracelsis
7th Aug 2011, 20:46
Aim assist sux!! hope they wont force it on the consoles ( prolly not )

Thanks for the quick answer! I actually don't want to get into the whole aim-assist debate TBH. I would just like to know whether it's going to be enabled or disabled in the PC version; more out of curiosity than anything else.

I should also point out that I've been a PC gamer since Doom and am very used to playing with m/k. However, lately I've been quite enjoying sitting back in my comfy seat and using a pad where possible. I'm old probably. :(

iloveyouXWORLD
7th Aug 2011, 21:00
no aim assist on any system please

Shralla
7th Aug 2011, 23:07
I too love being handicapped.

Pinky_Powers
8th Aug 2011, 03:17
Aim assist is almost always forced on consoles, because the thumbstick is such a horrendously inaccurate input device.

Not on the major titles. Call of Duty, Halo, Gears of War, Mass Effect and many, many others. Consoles rarely ever force aim-assist on today's games.

Romeo
8th Aug 2011, 07:07
To answer the first of your questions, yes, the game will support the 360 controller on PC: in fact, on their recent bus tour of Germany they've only been demoing the PC version with the 360 controller, not with mouse and keyboard.

As for whether it'll have aim-assist, I can't help you on that one, I'm afraid.

Though why you'd want to play a (primarily) first person game on PC with a gamepad I have no idea...:scratch:
I think I am going to pick this up for the PC, and I will be using a controller in place of a keyboard and mouse. It's just what works for me. Same goes for racing games. RTS and RPG are keyboard and mouse games to me though, if it makes you feel any better. :p

Romeo
8th Aug 2011, 07:09
As has been discussed before, not everybody is as in love with the mouse and keyboard setup as long-time PC gamers like us. I would personally rather have a mouse and keyboard for pretty much any first-person experience, whether it be shooter, RPG, or Mirror's Edge. My friend Zach, however, has been a console gamer his whole life, and quite a passionate one at that. I've been trying to edge him into PC gaming ever since he and his girlfriend got a computer that was gaming-capable late last year, and the progress has been slow. His main complaint is that he just can't stand mouse and keyboard, so I've been on the constant lookout for games coming out that will support the gamepad on PC. He even said he'd get BF3 on PC if it supported gamepad, so I have my fingers crossed for that one, because I'd like to be able to play with him.

Is it weird? From my perspective, hell yeah. But I guess it's what works for him, and he is pretty excellent with a controller. I guess it's kind of one-sided that people who grew up on consoles seem to expect that PC games support the gamepad, while it comes as no surprise to us that consoles don't support mouse and keyboard, but look on the bright side. That's just another in the long list of advantages PCs have over consoles.
Sorry for the double post, but quite a number of Xbox 360 games do have keyboard and mouse support. I believe the PS3 might but don't quote me on that. The keyboard specifically is a lifesaver on text-heavy games as well, apparently. Granted, the only text-heavy game for the 360 I know of was Oblivion, and I ended up buying that for PC anyways... lol

Shralla
8th Aug 2011, 07:27
You can't use a mouse to aim in any online game on 360. As far as I know, the limits of the USB input on the 360 is USB keyboards for typing.

Ashpolt
8th Aug 2011, 08:35
I think I am going to pick this up for the PC, and I will be using a controller in place of a keyboard and mouse. It's just what works for me. Same goes for racing games. RTS and RPG are keyboard and mouse games to me though, if it makes you feel any better. :p

Well yeah, racing games are obviously not suited to M&K, they're much better on pads or, preferably, a wheel. FPSs though? Nope, sorry, you're just plain wrong, Romeo! I think we may need to get you into rehab.... :rasp:

Brockxz
8th Aug 2011, 08:57
You can't use a mouse to aim in any online game on 360. As far as I know, the limits of the USB input on the 360 is USB keyboards for typing.

Wrong. How do you think people get all those autofire and so on hacks to work. Here is the answer http://www.xcm.cc/XFPS_3.0_Sniper.htm

Shralla
8th Aug 2011, 17:32
Those things all work like a bunch of ****, with horrible input lag and sensitivity issues. When I said "you can't use a mouse to aim on 360" I meant "you can't use a mouse to aim on 360 unless you use crappy overpriced third-party hardware peripherals"

Microsoft isn't stupid. They're not going to just let any PC gamer plug in his mouse and keyboard and destroy all the MLG people who are so proud of their skills. It's bad for business.

Romeo
8th Aug 2011, 18:30
There is ways to do it... Heck, even Microsoft-sponsored ones...

Those things all work like a bunch of ****, with horrible input lag and sensitivity issues. When I said "you can't use a mouse to aim on 360" I meant "you can't use a mouse to aim on 360 unless you use crappy overpriced third-party hardware peripherals"

Microsoft isn't stupid. They're not going to just let any PC gamer plug in his mouse and keyboard and destroy all the MLG people who are so proud of their skills. It's bad for business.
...However this is the most prominent. Also, sensitivity is adjustable and there is no lag. It's a direct replacement for the thumbstick on the controller. Now obviously a game with a control scheme designed for a controller wont feel "right" on a keyboard and mouse set-up (The way you turn with a thumbstick is different than how you turn with a mouse, for example). But if one wants to go that route, it isn't difficult.

Well yeah, racing games are obviously not suited to M&K, they're much better on pads or, preferably, a wheel. FPSs though? Nope, sorry, you're just plain wrong, Romeo! I think we may need to get you into rehab.... :rasp:
I could quit any time I wanted! ...Starting tomorrow...

No, I grew up on mouse and keyboard too, but I don't know... I just prefer the feel of a controller for some reason. And yes, obviously nice force feedback wheels and pedals are best, but I don't have a firstborn child to offer for one of them, so the controller is the next best thing.

paracelsis
9th Aug 2011, 12:29
Ah, I've just noticed that the game is activated on Steam which means I can't sell it on when finished. Oh well, PS3 or 360 for me then :)

Thanks for all the answers and debate, much appreciated!

MaxxQ1
9th Aug 2011, 15:40
Ah, I've just noticed that the game is activated on Steam which means I can't sell it on when finished. Oh well, PS3 or 360 for me then :)

Thanks for all the answers and debate, much appreciated!

Why would you want to? I still have my original game disc from when I bought DX on release day 11 years ago. Granted, I don't use it because I also have the GOTY disc that came out a year later, but still...

I would never sell those games, nor my release day purchases of Freespace, Freespace 2, Homeworld, Homeworld 2, and so on.

The only games I've sold were ones I didn't like, such as Diablo, Diablo 2, Half-Life, Starcraft, and a couple others.

<I know I'm gonna catch hell from a few peeps about my list of games I didn't like, but I can't help it... I just did not like them>

Romeo
9th Aug 2011, 15:45
Why would you want to? I still have my original game disc from when I bought DX on release day 11 years ago. Granted, I don't use it because I also have the GOTY disc that came out a year later, but still...

I would never sell those games, nor my release day purchases of Freespace, Freespace 2, Homeworld, Homeworld 2, and so on.

The only games I've sold were ones I didn't like, such as Diablo, Diablo 2, Half-Life, Starcraft, and a couple others.

<I know I'm gonna catch hell from a few peeps about my list of games I didn't like, but I can't help it... I just did not like them>
Only someone stupid would condemn you for not liking the same games as themselves. BUT SRSLY, HOW DID U NOT LIEK STAKRAFT/HALFLIEF/DABLIO? OMGWTFBBQ?

If we're being totally honest, I think the only game I still play of all those is Starcraft on occasion, and Diablo II very rarely. And frankly, with free flash games having caught up to Diablo II's quality, and most modern RTS games having surpassed Starcraft's level, I completely understand that. Hell, even if they just weren't your kind of games I can understand that too.

On a sad, related note, I lost my Homeworld II CD... =(

MaxxQ1
9th Aug 2011, 15:57
Only someone stupid would condemn you for not liking the same games as themselves. BUT SRSLY, HOW DID U NOT LIEK STAKRAFT/HALFLIEF/DABLIO? OMGWTFBBQ?

If we're being totally honest, I think the only game I still play of all those is Starcraft on occasion, and Diablo II very rarely. And frankly, with free flash games having caught up to Diablo II's quality, and most modern RTS games having surpassed Starcraft's level, I completely understand that. Hell, even if they just weren't your kind of games I can understand that too.

Pretty much this (in bold). Those games were all fairly new when I first got into PC gaming, and so I was still trying to find out what I liked and didn't like. I had heard about how great they were and figured I'd give them a try.

On a sad, related note, I lost my Homeworld II CD... =(

I take it HW2 isn't available on Steam or GoG yet?

I also have HW Cataclysm, but I consider it the DX: Invisible War of the HW series, although not quite as bad, as I've played it twice as opposed to playing IW once only.

paracelsis
9th Aug 2011, 16:04

I always sell my finished games. I have a PS3, 360 and Wii and basically like a wide range of games and couldn't afford this hobby if I hung onto the dozens of games I buy a year. I almost always never replay a game either.

This trend towards activation with Steam is really bad in my opinion. It's stopped second-hand PC sales; which is fine if you believe they are ruining the industry. I personally think that Steam activation is ruining the industry and when they finally move to purely digital distribution I will definitely give up gaming for good.

I'm annoyed too as I've just bought a rather expensive graphics card for my gaming PC in anticipation of playing DE:HR!

Romeo
9th Aug 2011, 17:46
Pretty much this (in bold). Those games were all fairly new when I first got into PC gaming, and so I was still trying to find out what I liked and didn't like. I had heard about how great they were and figured I'd give them a try.

I take it HW2 isn't available on Steam or GoG yet?

I also have HW Cataclysm, but I consider it the DX: Invisible War of the HW series, although not quite as bad, as I've played it twice as opposed to playing IW once only.
I actually haven't checked Steam for it yet (I'm hesitant to buy it twice, I'm still hoping I'll stumble across it in some purely assanine location). And I don't know what GoG is... Hehe.

As for the games though, not everyone has to like them. And hell, I enjoyed them both for single-player, whereas everyone I've heard always loves them for their multiplayer components. Doesn't matter. Play what you enjoy, avoid what you don't! =)

I always sell my finished games. I have a PS3, 360 and Wii and basically like a wide range of games and couldn't afford this hobby if I hung onto the dozens of games I buy a year. I almost always never replay a game either.

This trend towards activation with Steam is really bad in my opinion. It's stopped second-hand PC sales; which is fine if you believe they are ruining the industry. I personally think that Steam activation is ruining the industry and when they finally move to purely digital distribution I will definitely give up gaming for good.

I'm annoyed too as I've just bought a rather expensive graphics card for my gaming PC in anticipation of playing DE:HR!
I wouldn't go so far as to say it's killing the industry (Not as badly as say, piracy is). As for Steam being bad, I'm sorry, but I am 100% against you there. Steam provides an opportunity for devellopers to lower the cost of distribution on their titles, as well as possibly still make a small profit on older games they otherwise couldn't. And while I do love my collection of DVDs, even I must admit that they are horribly inferior to a digital distribution method. My hard drive is read much faster than my DVD drive (And even with DVD drives, the computer still relies upon the hard drive for certain aspects). It is typically rare to damage a hard drive. Comparitively, it is very easy to damage a DVD. It is rare to misplace your computer. Comparitively, it is rather easy to misplace a DVD.

Once the kinks are worked out with identifying ownership (Lest you switch computers, or move, or what-have-you) digital distribution will really kick in to high gear in phasing out physical media.

And hell, why wouldn't it? I can spend about $5 in gas driving over to a Blockbuster, and waste about 10 minutes each way in driving and parking, and then hopefully rent a movie (As physical stocks can be sold out) for $10. After I'm done watching, I get to drive back for another $5 and 10 minutes each way to return it.

Or I could hit a grand total of 4 buttons on my remote to purchase and watch that movie for $6 at home. Total. No other time investment or financial costs. Almost 1/4 the cost, and damn near instantaneous renting, with no fear of a Hollywood hit being out of stock when I go to rent it. It's not even comparible.

And for one last point, why would you not replay a game? Especially if you enjoy experiences like Deus Ex? One of the few reasons games like Deus Ex have good value is because of the replay value. On the first run-through they're no better value than going out to the movies...

Psychomorph
9th Aug 2011, 21:18
...Now obviously a game with a control scheme designed for a controller wont feel "right" on a keyboard and mouse set-up.
That might explain why many PC ports don't feel right if you play them with a keyboard and mouse.

Romeo
9th Aug 2011, 23:52
That might explain why many PC ports don't feel right if you play them with a keyboard and mouse.
Oh ho ho! That was actually pretty damn good. :p

What I meant specifically though, is if you're playing a game designed for twin thumbsticks, the control scheme becomes:

Left thumbstick = Movement. The further out you move the thumbstick, the more quickly you move.
Right thumbstick = Look. The further out you move the thumbstick, the more quickly you look about.

With a PC game, however, it's usually:

WASD = Movement. Speed is locked, although a "sneak" toggle may be put in.
Mouse = Look. The mouse itself requires more "swipes" to turn further.

This, of course, presents two very basic problems: A console game wont have a sneak toggle built-in, as it's expected that you're going to simply move slower to sneak. Secondly, the aiming system is designed to be "held" at extremes to turn and look about; A mouse cannot be held at extremes without making the mouse visually available (Lest it becomes nigh-impossible to get back to a default look) which is another thing console games are not designed for.

MaxxQ1
10th Aug 2011, 05:12
I actually haven't checked Steam for it yet (I'm hesitant to buy it twice, I'm still hoping I'll stumble across it in some purely assanine location). And I don't know what GoG is... Hehe.

GOG = Good Old Games. A website that sells, legally (and in digital download format), older games that have been fully patched and updated to run on current systems, usually at a pretty good price. Also, the games are DRM-free.

http://www.gog.com/

Romeo
10th Aug 2011, 05:21
GOG = Good Old Games. A website that sells, legally (and in digital download format), older games that have been fully patched and updated to run on current systems, usually at a pretty good price. Also, the games are DRM-free.

http://www.gog.com/
Cool! I cannot deny being relatively enamored by this site... Think I'm going to disappear for the next four days, excuse me...

MaxxQ1
10th Aug 2011, 06:02
Cool! I cannot deny being relatively enamored by this site... Think I'm going to disappear for the next four days, excuse me...

Fitting punishment for that pun...

Romeo
10th Aug 2011, 07:13
Fitting punishment for that pun...
YOU LOVED IT. lol

MaxxQ1
10th Aug 2011, 09:09
YOU LOVED IT. lol

Yes, yes, I'm quite the masochist. :rasp: