PDA

View Full Version : DX:HR Official Press Kit video - Sound and Music - Szczepkowski & McCann Interview

sajin
4th Aug 2011, 22:20
Found a new trailer on german online mag 4players.de. A quick search didn't turn up any other sources on the forums. Full name is "Deus Ex Human Revolution: Sound and Musik" -> here is the link:

http://www.4players.de/4players.php/tvplayer/4PlayersTV/Alle/9776/75448/Deus_Ex_Human_Revolution/Behind_2027_Sound_und_Musik.html

Edit: Uploaded it to youtube:
New Trailer (Aug 4th) for Deus Ex Human Revolution, includes gameplay, artwork and an interview with audio director Steve Szczepkowski, composer Michael McCann, sound designer Yohann Boudreault and actor Elias Toufexis (voice of Adam Jensen)

F-nSQCevTXA

Lady_Of_The_Vine
4th Aug 2011, 22:27
Sorry, but is this music from the OST?
If so, you can't create threads or post links to this kind of content.

sajin
4th Aug 2011, 22:30
Sorry, but is this music from the OST?
If so, you can't create threads or post links to this kind of content.

It is, but its an official presskit trailer video, including interviews with the sound designers and composers, english with german subs. It has the same style as the trailer videos on gameplay options (stealth / social / combat etc). Do i still need to remove it ? (removed it for now until you give ok)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
4th Aug 2011, 22:33
If it's an official press kit trailer video, then I expect it will be okay.
No need to delete it for now. Thanks. :thumb:

PS. I tweaked the thread title slightly for the sake of clarity.

sajin
4th Aug 2011, 23:00
If it's an official press kit trailer video, then I expect it will be okay.
No need to delete it for now. Thanks. :thumb:

PS. I tweaked the thread title slightly for the sake of clarity.

All right, just uploaded it to youtube for an embedded version. The interviews are with audio director Steve Szczepkowski and composer Michael McCann btw. It also contains some nice concept art :)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
4th Aug 2011, 23:03
Awesome! Thanks very much... will watch this one. :thumb:

Daedatheus
5th Aug 2011, 05:42
Damn thanks for posting this! Music and sound design is my life. No, seriously.

I love these kinds of interviews, Gamespot also did a SoundByte interview with the DXHR audio director, and has an upcoming episode with the composer Michael McCann. Definitely worth checking out.

Also the audio director has the same reference monitor speakers as my brother... they're nice but a little too boomy on the bass :rasp:

pringlepower
5th Aug 2011, 05:54
Hearing Elias perform Adam's gravelly voice then return to his own voice was so jarring.

Had no idea he sounded so normal...

HERESY
5th Aug 2011, 05:55
Damn thanks for posting this! Music and sound design is my life. No, seriously.

I love these kinds of interviews, Gamespot also did a SoundByte interview with the DXHR audio director, and has an upcoming episode with the composer Michael McCann. Definitely worth checking out.

Also the audio director has the same reference monitor speakers as my brother... they're nice but a little too boomy on the bass :rasp:

KRK's are ok. I personally use two types of JBL monitors and a pair of Absolute Zeros, but I've had to work on KRK's before and they were cool. However, I can't stand ns-10's. I wonder what they tracked with?

It's great to see this type of stuff, and in previous posts, I stated that sound should contribute to game play and help immerse the player in the story. Now I see a vid with the audio guys saying the same thing.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
5th Aug 2011, 08:31
Hearing Elias perform Adam's gravelly voice then return to his own voice was so jarring.
Had no idea he sounded so normal...
Elias rocks. :cool:

DisaFear
5th Aug 2011, 08:36
That was great, thank you :)
Loved Adam's voice actor part

lol
11th Aug 2011, 15:58
I still think the music at the HIVE is the best!!That's what got me interested in DX:cool:

Spyhopping
11th Aug 2011, 16:17
That was really interesting! I had been hoping we'd see something like this. Was good to see Elias doing his voice acting.

TrickyVein
11th Aug 2011, 17:15
For Eidos's since released Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light we were able to record ourselves asking questions and submit them to the sound development people through Kier. Would it be possible for members to submit their questions, or do something similar for Szczepkowski, McCann, or anyone else involved in sound development?

...maybe?

Have them explain more about crafting particular weapon sounds or finding odd things to record and make things sound more powerful, for instance, or go into more detail about crafting a "stealthy" experience? I'm really interested to hear more about the sonic environment of hacking, because it is precisely that blend of cerebral and tense mood that I think they've achieved.

:D

Charadesmith
11th Aug 2011, 18:33
"What we needed was no so much music but emotional support for the story"

Exactly one of the reasons why i already prefer HR's ost over the original

iloveyouXWORLD
11th Aug 2011, 19:45
I HATE dxhr ost. well what ive heard of it, its barely noticable. (except fight tracks) and it is nothing like dx1s ost. very pissed off. only track that stands out is police station ambient, yet it still nothing special. ****

TrickyVein
11th Aug 2011, 23:21
Surely, "pissed-off" is not the appropriate sentiment in this instance. Disappointed, perhaps.

Unless there's something you're not telling us?

iloveyouXWORLD
12th Aug 2011, 00:05
Surely, "pissed-off" is not the appropriate sentiment in this instance. Disappointed, perhaps.

Unless there's something you're not telling us?

nope, thats how i feel. i love music in games(or old games) and human revolutions music hides in the background. just like most games of the past few years. :mad2: