PDA

View Full Version : STEAMWORKS - General Discussion & Q&As

Pages : [1] 2

Roulax
4th Aug 2011, 16:46
Hi,
I've got a question: I have no internet connexion at home and I heard that the game will support steamworks; so will an internet connexion be required only to install the game (and I'll be able to play offline at home), or will I need a permanent internet connexion?
I apologize if there's any mistake, I'm french.
Thank you!

*moderator edit*

Curious as to when that Steam pre-load will unlock? Don't fret, dear community. I don't want each of you sitting there at your PC, restarting the client over and over on whatever day your version launches. We appreciate the dedication, but not the frustration.

To clear things up, here's the official list of unlock timings:

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/4804/dxsteam.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/88/dxsteam.jpg/)

PRELOAD AVAILABLE!

http://www.shrani.si/f/w/lK/27i4WeV6/preloading.png
Pre-loading. :)

Also, in case you have problems, manually force a pre-load by putting this in a browser: steam://install/28050

__

Q&As

Q: I live in Oklahoma (which is Central time). So does that mean I won't be able to play my game at 12AM midnight? Do I have to wait until 2AM to play (which would be 12AM on the west coast)? My brother bought a physical copy from Gamestop, so he'll be able to get and play his game at midnight.

A: Steam activation is for ALL versions.. disc or digital.. so even if he has a disc copy until its `live on steam` he wont be able to play it..

question, from a guy purchasing a new released game via Steam for the first time...
So say I bought the game now, waiting til it's release date...I'll receive my CD key that day to download it right? Or will I receive it when I buy it, and can input it, but not be able to play the game til Steam unlocks it on the 23rd?

You won't receive any keys. The game just appears in your account. All you have to do is just download it. Or pre-load it now. On the release date Steam will download a little patch so you can play the game. That's it.

Q: Sorry to intrude, but I'm not sure I correctly understood all this stuff - I pre-ordered a CE from amazon.co.uk, and it was dispatched to me YESTERDAY august 22. I live in Italy, I estimate the package to be delivered by the 25.
I see that the European release date is the 26th: will I not be able to play until then? If this is the case, why was the game already available yesterday? o_O
Sorry for the stupid question but I really don't understand.
Thanks

A: Delivering the game to everyone in the world is not a 5 min job.. each territory gets the boxed copies into their warehouses in advance to allow them to distribute in time for release..

__

Steam FAQs:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7141-OPGX-5121
http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/

Jerion
4th Aug 2011, 16:49
Hi,
I've got a question: I have no internet connexion at home and I heard that the game will support steamworks; so will an internet connexion be required only to install the game (and I'll be able to play offline at home), or will I need a permanent internet connexion?
Thank you!

Steamworks requires a net connection for activation. If you want the extra Steamworks features to work you will need a more or less regularly available connection if not a permanent one. If you desire to play completely offline, after activation you may do so.

iloveyouXWORLD
4th Aug 2011, 16:50
Hi,
Thank you!

im 99.9% sure you need a permanent internet connection to play on steam.
EDIT: too late and i was wrong.... .1% what are the chances of that LOL

Jerion
4th Aug 2011, 16:51
im 99.9% sure you need a permanent internet connection to play on steam.

This is incorrect. Steam does allow you to play games without an internet connection. As an online-based platform it prefers that you have a net connection but one is not necessary.

Dr_Bob
4th Aug 2011, 16:51
You'll need an Internet connection to activate the game. After that, just run Steam in offline mode.

Roulax
4th Aug 2011, 16:56
Thank you for your answers!

KingNL
4th Aug 2011, 17:12
Yeah thank god for offline mode

nomotog
4th Aug 2011, 17:45
You will have to download a big file from steam. I have not seen a single game on steam that didn't make me download at least 100 megs. After that you can run things offline. Just make sure that you start the game and make sure it works in online mode (some get fiddly when you start them for the first time in offline mode.) Also steam seems to need to be connected to the internet anytime you switch to offline, so you can't just switch to offline when you internet drops. You have to switch to offline before then.

Tycho
4th Aug 2011, 17:58
Yeah, here is what you need to do:

find a Connections (with good speed), install the game while you are online, start it for the first time, it will most definitely download something. Then turn Steam into Offline mode. After that you don't need an internet connection, but you also cannot patch the game, because that will only work over steam.
As nomotog said, it is importent that you turn the offline mode on, while you are online, the change does not work if you have no internet connection.

cya
Tycho

jason95821
4th Aug 2011, 18:46
if i am not mistaken

net will only be required for download and activation of game
other than that you should be fine
but you will not get the achivments from steam:rasp:

CJRamze
5th Aug 2011, 12:46
Make sure you have a valid internet connection, When your done click "Offline mode" in steam.
Otherwise next time you plug it in and it doesn't have an internet connection it will tell you steam cant start because it cant connect.

You need to log off in offline mode, then move it to the place without the internet connection.
It sucks, I just moved house and got stuck without any games!

jtr7
6th Aug 2011, 01:16
Yep! Makes no sense to me.

CoDEllite
6th Aug 2011, 02:08
And people are still gonna buy the pc version? The pc gamers are a weird bunch. How much abuse will u guys take bfr finaly snapping lol

iloveyouXWORLD
6th Aug 2011, 03:56
And people are still gonna buy the pc version? The pc gamers are a weird bunch. How much abuse will u guys take bfr finaly snapping lol

not sure if goblin......

jtr7
6th Aug 2011, 04:03
Weird. I don't know what Steam and required Internet has to do with PC players when console versions aren't 100% 'Net-free either.

Cerulean Shaman
6th Aug 2011, 04:44

What abuse? Does your internet train only come for a few hours each day? Welcome to the future. Give it a couple of years and internet connections will be a requirement for everything, consoles included. And why should anyone care? My phone always has internet. If my computer is on, it has internet. I really just don't see the problem.

caitsith01
6th Aug 2011, 08:14
Steamworks requires a net connection for activation. If you want the extra Steamworks features to work you will need a more or less regularly available connection if not a permanent one. If you desire to play completely offline, after activation you may do so.

So is it finally confirmed that boxed retail versions of this game will require the use of Steam? Everything released by Eidos so far says it "supports" Steam, not that it is mandatory.

caitsith01
6th Aug 2011, 08:17
And why should anyone care?

Because many people, although obviously not you, object to the notion that a product which we buy with good money remains subject to the whims of a third party who can monitor it and disable it at their discretion?

Because Steam is little more than an elaborate way to destroy the ability to give, lend or sell games?

Because there is no significant aspect of Deus Ex 3 which actually depends on being on-line?

Cerulean Shaman
6th Aug 2011, 09:43
Because many people, although obviously not you, object to the notion that a product which we buy with good money remains subject to the whims of a third party who can monitor it and disable it at their discretion?

Because Steam is little more than an elaborate way to destroy the ability to give, lend or sell games?

Because there is no significant aspect of Deus Ex 3 which actually depends on being on-line?

We get monitored all the time. Each call I make, every word I type in google, ect. It's beyond being a concern. And yes, I suppose in theory they can disable it if they please but in practice it just doesn't happen.

The lend/give/sell point is valid, but merely for now. A couple of years ago Steam and such programs were a joke; now they are the future. New competitors are rising (Relaunched Impulse, Origin, GGG) and new features are being added. GGG lets you resell or trade in digital games and it's gaining popularity; soon Steam will no doubt offer the same to compete. They already know, thanks to EB Games / Gamestop, that it's a money printing machine and all bets are on EB/GS's Impulse offering trade in soon for digital titles.

A few more years and you may even be able to lend games to your friends. It's progress, mate. : P 10 years from now you won't even be able to buy a physical copy of a PC game. Heck, might even be the same for console titles depending on how advanced they get.

The last component is subjective I guess. No, it doesn't need to be online, but it's fairly decent drm without any real hassle like Ubisoft's infamous troubles. I don't think this should bother anyone though.

jtr7
6th Aug 2011, 09:56
Imagine no Internet. It's a reality for most humans, and a hell of a lot more than you think in cities. Your not bothered, but you aren't most.

Kvltism
6th Aug 2011, 10:27
...It's progress, mate. : P 10 years from now you won't even be able to buy a physical copy of a PC game. Heck, might even be the same for console titles depending on how advanced they get.

Progress for the sake of progress isn't necessarily a good thing. All that would do, eliminating the existence of physical copies of games, is cut costs at the supply side while lumping us with an aesthetically inferior product. Has nobody learned from the music industry?

musicrab
6th Aug 2011, 12:29
So is it finally confirmed that boxed retail versions of this game will require the use of Steam? Everything released by Eidos so far says it "supports" Steam, not that it is mandatory.
It is interesting to note that "internet connection" is not listed as a requirement to run this game.
http://www.deusex.com/game/reqs
However, if you look at the bottom of the page there's a Steamworks pane. Part of the text reads "You must activiate this product via the Internet"

So an internet connection is required. This is for ALL versions of the PC game. The minimum internet data is exchanged with a retail copy of the game. The contents of the DVD are installed to your computer and you need an internet connection for :-
1. activation of the game
2. download of any release day patches to make the game playable

You never know, but 2. may be ZERO. Unlikey, but a possibility.

Poison_Berrie
6th Aug 2011, 15:48
You will have to download a big file from steam. I have not seen a single game on steam that didn't make me download at least 100 megs. After that you can run things offline. Just make sure that you start the game and make sure it works in online mode (some get fiddly when you start them for the first time in offline mode.) Also steam seems to need to be connected to the internet anytime you switch to offline, so you can't just switch to offline when you internet drops. You have to switch to offline before then.
Often Steam has to install some directories for DirectX, this is required by Microsoft and dependent on how the game uses DirectX. Most of these downloads on start are third party software required to run the game. Though sometimes it can be updates as well.
Also you should be able to go into off-line mode if you aren't connected.

The game uses Steamworks and therefor requires Steam.

Hagel
6th Aug 2011, 16:29
Hi guys,

I have a question. Comes Deus Ex also in German at Steam?
On Steam, it is only offered in English, but the game will appear in retail in German.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
6th Aug 2011, 17:07
Hi guys,

I have a question. Comes Deus Ex also in German at Steam?
On Steam, it is only offered in English, but the game will appear in retail in German.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

I am unable to answer your question, but did you check the "Multi Language Q&As" thread?
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=115808

CoDEllite
6th Aug 2011, 21:56
Weird. I don't know what Steam and required Internet has to do with PC players when console versions aren't 100% 'Net-free either.

Exept us console players actully care about the games and would care less if it requires internet access or not. My 360 is 100 % time online anyway just like my computer obviosly. What are we living in the 90s lol?

Imagine no Internet. It's a reality for most humans, and a hell of a lot more than you think in cities. Your not bothered, but you aren't most. Reality for most humans? ROFL? Where do you live bro? Timbaktu? I was online since I was like 5 years old lol I dont know anybody who doesnt have high speed internet access. Besides u realy think somebody living in a cave in Afghanistan is interested in this game lol.

vallux
6th Aug 2011, 22:15
Well...there is about a bazillion people in Africa without high speed internet.

Fluffis
6th Aug 2011, 22:23
Reality for most humans? ROFL? Where do you live bro? Timbaktu? I was online since I was like 5 years old lol

There are still many countries with bad internet infrastructure. European countries, for instance. Some have recently had wars (civil or other) who have better things to spend their money on - like food, shelter and things like that..

tZer
6th Aug 2011, 22:49
There are still many countries with bad internet infrastructure. European countries, for instance. Some have recently had wars (civil or other) who have better things to spend their money on - like food, shelter and things like that..

I think you're mixing up Europe with Africa there.

Fluffis
6th Aug 2011, 22:53
I think you're mixing up Europe with Africa there.

I'm European myself. I know a lot of people in other European countries. Europe is not some kind of balanced whole. There are wildly varying conditions.

Cerulean Shaman
6th Aug 2011, 23:13

That's a logical knife meant only for stabbing. A lot of these same countries are behind in the computical division as well, so they couldn't play most PC games of today. What are we to do about that? Many of them don't have a very good mailing system either, so importing or exporting or even sending stuff within the country is a nightmare. Hard for them to get luxury items that aren't priorities such as consoles, games, ect.

There's always a country like that, somewhere. Companies realistically can't worry about every such situation, they are businesses. The majority of their target base, the largest markets for video games period, are the US, Japan, and the advanced Europe countries. They all have good internet infrastructure and obtaining said games or playing them online is simple and commonplace. May sound cold, but the other countries just have to make do. It's just not realistic to expect a video game company to go out of their way to deal with people in Africa who don't have internet or some other silliness.

The hard fact is the vast majority of those who will purchase a video game in 2011 will have an always active internet connection and that's the only reason the companies would risk losing sales and making one a requirement. I don't especially care either way myself, but I'd suggest you get used to it; it's going to become commonplace in a few years (already is now, really) and those who are against it are in the minority if only because of the general social apathy we see today.

Fluffis
6th Aug 2011, 23:19
That's a logical knife meant only for stabbing. A lot of these same countries are behind in the computical division as well, so they couldn't play most PC games of today. What are we to do about that? Many of them don't have a very good mailing system either, so importing or exporting or even sending stuff within the country is a nightmare. Hard for them to get luxury items that aren't priorities such as consoles, games, ect.

There's always a country like that, somewhere. Companies realistically can't worry about every such situation, they are businesses. The majority of their target base, the largest markets for video games period, are the US, Japan, and the advanced Europe countries. They all have good internet infrastructure and obtaining said games or playing them online is simple and commonplace. May sound cold, but the other countries just have to make do. It's just not realistic to expect a video game company to go out of their way to deal with people in Africa who don't have internet or some other silliness.

The hard fact is the vast majority of those who will purchase a video game in 2011 will have an always active internet connection and that's the only reason the companies would risk losing sales and making one a requirement. I don't especially care either way myself, but I'd suggest you get used to it; it's going to become commonplace in a few years (already is now, really) and those who are against it are in the minority if only because of the general social apathy we see today.

Just so we're clear here: I'm not against Steam or other "internet required" services. I use them myself, almost exclusively. I was just talking about the fact that it's not just "in Africa", or some such, where the Internet isn't up to snuff. It's a fact in more countries than some people seem to think.

cartridge
7th Aug 2011, 00:10
If any you guys will be on Steam feel free to send an invite my way. :)

caitsith01
7th Aug 2011, 04:17
It is interesting to note that "internet connection" is not listed as a requirement to run this game.
http://www.deusex.com/game/reqs
However, if you look at the bottom of the page there's a Steamworks pane. Part of the text reads "You must activiate this product via the Internet"

So an internet connection is required. This is for ALL versions of the PC game. The minimum internet data is exchanged with a retail copy of the game. The contents of the DVD are installed to your computer and you need an internet connection for :-
1. activation of the game
2. download of any release day patches to make the game playable

You never know, but 2. may be ZERO. Unlikey, but a possibility.

My issue isn't actually with activation (which I find annoying but tolerable), it's with being forced to install Steam and have a Steam account. So that's disappointing if they've gone with that being mandatory.

Borderlands used Steam for achievements but you cuold use a boxed copy and simply ignore the Steamworks part of the game if you wanted to.

caitsith01
7th Aug 2011, 04:19
I don't think this should bother anyone though.

But it does bother people, like me.

As for the "lending will be possible in future" point, it's always been possible before - it's not some amazing future innovation, it was a fact until the DRM got so intrusive that companies could decide who could and couldn't use a physical disc copy of a game.

iLLe
8th Aug 2011, 20:27
Hello Boys and Girls,

It's my first post in here today and I'm not quite sure if this question has already been answered but i think it's pretty specific, so here we go:

I preordered the Augmented Edition of Human Revolution at amazon.co.uk (England) because of two reasons:

1. I really want to play it in English Language because (like in most games) the german audio sucks to be honest and
will probably not be anyway close to lipsynch. Also I really like Adams original voice :)

2. UK imports usually come in handy if the game is cut in my country (which apparently happens quite often in
Germany :mad2: ). The price is also lower than in Germany.

Now after thinking twice about the fact that the Game uses Steamworks (Steam activation too, I guess?) I came up with some questions...

1. Will the game still be English after activation via Steam, or will I be forced to use German audio because of my
Location and German Steam?

2. If the German version will be cut (Is it cut actually? Don't know really if it has been said yet...) , will I be able to
play uncut because I bought the UK version, or will it adapt the cut gore/violence from scanning my IP or
something which is of course German...

Would be really helpfull if someone knows an answer to all this :scratch:

Cheers
iLLe

Dr_Bob
8th Aug 2011, 21:18
A Steamworks game requires activation on Steam.

Steam should let you download other languages if you change the language setting for a game.

Do the USK publish certification information and justification on their website? Because that website would be your best port of call to find out about any censorship.

Activating your UK version of DX:HR should activate the uncensored version of the game. I know that if someone from outside Germany (or Australia) gifts a German Steam user a censored game, such as Left 4 Dead 2, then they will receive the uncensored version.

Tycho
9th Aug 2011, 00:53
Hello Boys and Girls,

It's my first post in here today and I'm not quite sure if this question has already been answered but i think it's pretty specific, so here we go:

I preordered the Augmented Edition of Human Revolution at amazon.co.uk (England) because of two reasons:

1. I really want to play it in English Language because (like in most games) the german audio sucks to be honest and
will probably not be anyway close to lipsynch. Also I really like Adams original voice :)

correct :mad2:

2. UK imports usually come in handy if the game is cut in my country (which apparently happens quite often in
Germany :mad2: ). The price is also lower than in Germany.

Deus Ex Human Revolution comes uncut, if you believe the magazines...

Now after thinking twice about the fact that the Game uses Steamworks (Steam activation too, I guess?) I came up with some questions...

1. Will the game still be English after activation via Steam, or will I be forced to use German audio because of my
Location and German Steam?

Steamworks = Steam Activation
you can play in English, no problem so far, I have all my Steam Games in English. You have to set your Steam Language to English, but thats all...

2. If the German version will be cut (Is it cut actually? Don't know really if it has been said yet...) , will I be able to
play uncut because I bought the UK version, or will it adapt the cut gore/violence from scanning my IP or
something which is of course German...

I don't really know for sure, but as I said its uncut in Germany. I have the UK Version of Fallout New Vegas and that is still uncut so I guess it don't switches you to low violence anyway...

cya
Tycho

Kodaemon
12th Aug 2011, 10:48
The game's release is soon, but I'm not buying it due to the inclusion of unwanted third party software.

However, I'd still like to get at least some enjoyment from it. Thus, I kindly request a detailed plot summary from anyone who finishes the game, so I can better participate in discussion.

ocstew
12th Aug 2011, 11:20
And this unwanted software would be....?

Brockxz
12th Aug 2011, 11:27
And this unwanted software would be....?

Kodaemon is known here as Steam hater.

Amitush
12th Aug 2011, 11:30
Hmm they are bad, you are good, they must die..?

Charadesmith
12th Aug 2011, 11:32
Nope. buy it. I'm not exactly a big Steam fan either but who cares with such a game

Amitush
12th Aug 2011, 11:51
Nope. buy it. I'm not exactly a big Steam fan either but who cares with such a game

I'm afraid we're too late, I already gave it away :(

Dr_Bob
12th Aug 2011, 11:51
Why don't you just watch a playthrough on YouTube?

Did you make a thread to inform everyone on this board that you won't be buying it?

CoDEllite
12th Aug 2011, 12:19
PC gamers are funny

nordoM
12th Aug 2011, 13:39
The funny thing about people boycotting games because of their use of Steam as a DRM is that right now other people are threatening not to buy Battlefield 3 because it is NOT sold on/with Steam. :nut:

deusexx
12th Aug 2011, 14:09
A PC gamer complaining?? What a surprise!!!!

Brockxz
12th Aug 2011, 14:25
The funny thing about people boycotting games because of their use of Steam as a DRM is that right now other people are threatening not to buy Battlefield 3 because it is NOT sold on/with Steam. :nut:

BF fans complain not about why it's not on Steam but why they need to install one more service (Origin) to play game. People don't want to scatter their games among multiple DD services.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
12th Aug 2011, 14:52
However, I'd still like to get at least some enjoyment from it. Thus, I kindly request a detailed plot summary from anyone who finishes the game, so I can better participate in discussion.

My Omar intuition suggests to me that this is nothing but a ploy to give us the impression that you stuck by your guns and never really purchased the game. ;)
Yeah..... right. I'm not falling for that. :rasp:

Anyway, your new thread merged into existing discussion.

Charadesmith
12th Aug 2011, 14:56
I'm curious to see what the secret achievements are

Kodaemon
12th Aug 2011, 15:48
My Omar intuition suggests to me that this is nothing but a ploy to give us the impression that you stuck by your guns and never really purchased the game. ;)
Yeah..... right. I'm not falling for that. :rasp:

Anyway, your new thread merged into existing discussion.

First Pinky implies I'll resort to piracy, then you imply I actually bought the game and am just being hypocritical for the heck of it. Or something.

Really, is it so hard to believe I simply won't play the game at this time?

nomotog
12th Aug 2011, 16:17
The game's release is soon, but I'm not buying it due to the inclusion of unwanted third party software.

No! You watch it on you tube like everyone else! :P

Kodaemon
12th Aug 2011, 16:23
Heck no, I got better things to waste my bandwidth limit on.

Neoworm
12th Aug 2011, 16:42
No, please dont force steam on us. Just dont.

Steam works fine as a production platform, but once the game is purchased it becomes as good as spyware. And there are no excuses for it. No "there is an offline mode", no "there are discounts and community" and definitely no "there are worse DRMs around here". These arguments dont work. You stil have to install absolutelly useless program that will have to be on anytime you play. And it wont prevent piracy at all and you know it. Its practicaly good will of gamers that they will buy the game instead torrenting it fully functional the day after release. And I have good will, I want to buy, but Steamworks forces me not to! So please, stop it.

Kodaemon
12th Aug 2011, 17:18
And it wont prevent piracy at all and you know it.

Hell, if it wasn't for Steam, the press demo leak probably wouldn't have happened!

nomotog
12th Aug 2011, 20:36
I don't think steam is meant to actually stop people from downloading or cracking the game. It's more meant to stop people like me who don't pirate and don't crack, but have no problem loaning games to people. Having a game on steam means I can't lend it to my friend to play.

Neoworm
12th Aug 2011, 20:42
Whatever the reason is, I dont want steam only games. Steam should be option. If it stays like that, its ok. Otherwise its gigantic NO.

Shralla
12th Aug 2011, 21:02
I'm sure that they're going to completely the change the entire PC distribution method less than two weeks before the game launches.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
12th Aug 2011, 21:03
Really, is it so hard to believe I simply won't play the game at this time?

Yep. :D

Kodaemon
12th Aug 2011, 21:22
Well, my intuition tells me you eat babies, and your usual cheerful demeanor is just a ploy to cover that up.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
12th Aug 2011, 22:24
Nice try... but logically flawed. I'm a vegetarian. :p

iloveyouXWORLD
12th Aug 2011, 22:30
Well, my intuition tells me you eat babies, and your usual cheerful demeanor is just a ploy to cover that up.

LOL

Kodaemon
12th Aug 2011, 22:35
Nice try... but logically flawed. I'm a vegetarian. :p

Or so you say.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
12th Aug 2011, 22:42
It could be another conspiracy... granted. ;)

jtr7
13th Aug 2011, 01:19
Some people do have self-control when it comes to consumerism, especially where contracts involving money come into it.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
13th Aug 2011, 13:46
Of course. :)

Neoworm
13th Aug 2011, 14:17
I'm sure that they're going to completely the change the entire PC distribution method less than two weeks before the game launches.

Until they do so, they wont see my money. And I am not alone.

Solid_1723
13th Aug 2011, 14:36
Some people do have self-control when it comes to consumerism, especially where contracts involving money come into it.

I have no problem with believing Kodaemon, that he will not buy the game.
I think that almost everyone has a limit when it comes to DRM. For some people it's reached if they have to install a third party online service like STEAM, and for some people this limit has just not been reached with any of the current DRM shemes, yet. Personally, I'll never buy a(singleplayer)game that needs a constant internet connection.

Shralla
13th Aug 2011, 19:16
Until they do so, they wont see my money. And I am not alone.

They aren't going to see your money, and they aren't even going to miss it a little bit. It's your loss, not theirs, but I guess if it makes you feel better to see it the other way...

hatim
13th Aug 2011, 19:23
Hi, I'm going to visit India in a few weeks and I was looking to buy this game from there since it's a lot cheaper ($20). I have been hearing about some games being region locked (Valve games mostly) that won't work when I'm back in my home country (Pakistan) because the Indian/Thailand versions are region locked.

I did buy Civ 5 the last time I was in India which activated fine on Steam and works well. I emailed Steam support and they said I should look on the retail box for any geographic restrictions--but since I'm going to order online and use Steam, that would be impossible.

This is for the PC version obviously.

Charadesmith
13th Aug 2011, 19:40
Heh, that makes it 4 people from SPUF posting here :D

Kodaemon
13th Aug 2011, 19:56
Ah yes, region locks. As if Steam didn't suck enough.

NKD
13th Aug 2011, 20:43
They aren't going to see your money, and they aren't even going to miss it a little bit. It's your loss, not theirs, but I guess if it makes you feel better to see it the other way...

Is it just me, or does the whole "I'm not buying unless you comply with arbitrary-demand-here." just come off like an adult way of saying "I'm holding my breath until I get my way!"

Typically the demands are unlikely are to be met, and nothing is accomplished by making an empty threat.

People can insist as strongly as they want that they won't be buying the game, but we all know that most of those people never follow through with their crap and end up getting the games they claim to be avoiding anyway. They will then insist they aren't part of that "most," but so do all of them.

I guarantee you a lot of these people will be back on here complaining or reviewing after having "played the game at a friends house" or some similar excuse. Another popular one is "someone bought it for me so I figured why not play it since it isn't my money."

Charadesmith
13th Aug 2011, 20:56
It's your loss, not theirs

This is most definitely true.

Dr_Bob
13th Aug 2011, 21:22
Is it just me, or does the whole "I'm not buying unless you comply with arbitrary-demand-here." just come off like an adult way of saying "I'm holding my breath until I get my way!"

Typically the demands are unlikely are to be met, and nothing is accomplished by making an empty threat.

People can insist as strongly as they want that they won't be buying the game, but we all know that most of those people never follow through with their crap and end up getting the games they claim to be avoiding anyway. They will then insist they aren't part of that "most," but so do all of them.

I guarantee you a lot of these people will be back on here complaining or reviewing after having "played the game at a friends house" or some similar excuse. Another popular one is "someone bought it for me so I figured why not play it since it isn't my money."

To be honest, I don't see why they don't just **** off if they won't buy the game.

pha
13th Aug 2011, 22:55
^ Because, surprise, buying a game is not a requisite of discussing it in its official forum.

You all know about this famous image taken from the Steam group called "Boycott MW2" or whatever, where most members of the group are playing MW2 which they were supposed to boycott. HOWEVER Blops had dedicated servers, and so shall the upcoming MW3. It's never about lost revenue because of Neoworm's or 5 or 100 or 1000 people's disapproval, what matters is these things add up and make a difference.

Sure, people who now complain about Steam might end up buying the game, but it doesn't mean SE won't reconsider the distribution/DRM method of their games in the future.

That said, I don't mind Steam at all, and I bought the game.

iloveyouXWORLD
14th Aug 2011, 00:26
Bob Page: You're too late. Already I'm more than human.
JC Denton: Does that mean I don't get the job?

i ****ing hate when JC sais that. i love every word that comes out of that fictional mans mouth except for that one, it just makes me cringe.

if you die at the end of the game, another endgame cutscene should play where bob page becomes deus ex machina and does whatever it is he intended. what was his plan anyway, i forget, its been a couple of years since i completed the game. he just wanted to rule the world using helios right?

nomotog
14th Aug 2011, 06:21

Well it is there loss. They lose out on the 60 they would have got. Not like they will cry themselves to sleep over one missed sale, but it is a loss.

I am also a little bitter about steam again. My friend bought a game today and it was a hassle to install. We actually didn't even get to play it yet.

Charadesmith
14th Aug 2011, 10:57
Well it is there loss. They lose out on the 60 they would have got. Not like they will cry themselves to sleep over one missed sale, but it is a loss.

They don't lose 60 because most of the money doesn't even go over to them. The loss of not playing the game seems to me worse than losing (more correctly, not gaining ) a dozen bucks for them

Fox89
14th Aug 2011, 11:04

Absolutely. However, I must insist that you donate a portion of money to Eidos Montreal/Square Enix after reading my detailed plot summary, proportional to the amount of enjoyment gained from it. The price will also require a small percentage markup to compensate me for my plot summarizing efforts.

Don't worry though, my plot summary does not require a constant internet connection to view. Only a one-time activation in order to load the appropriate forum page where it is typed, beyond that you can save the page/copy the text and view it offline at your leisure.

Poison_Berrie
14th Aug 2011, 11:42
Ah yes, region locks. As if Steam didn't suck enough.
Actually region locks are mostly (if not completely) the domain of the publisher. It's just easier to enforce on digital download services.

Ulysses
14th Aug 2011, 12:37

Could always watch a Let's Play video, I did that for Modern Warfare 2 when I was curious about the SP campaign, heh.

MaxxQ1
14th Aug 2011, 15:03
Absolutely. However, I must insist that you donate a portion of money to Eidos Montreal/Square Enix after reading my detailed plot summary, proportional to the amount of enjoyment gained from it. The price will also require a small percentage markup to compensate me for my plot summarizing efforts.

Don't worry though, my plot summary does not require a constant internet connection to view. Only a one-time activation in order to load the appropriate forum page where it is typed, beyond that you can save the page/copy the text and view it offline at your leisure.

Bravo!

Could always watch a Let's Play video, I did that for Modern Warfare 2 when I was curious about the SP campaign, heh.

That would eat up his precious bandwidth.

nomotog
14th Aug 2011, 17:33
They don't lose 60 because most of the money doesn't even go over to them. The loss of not playing the game seems to me worse than losing (more correctly, not gaining ) a dozen bucks for them

I was going to post the actual cost, but didn't want to explain how that works.

Fest1984_EFimp2
14th Aug 2011, 19:43
Hi Guys,

I guess this is the Steam related section, apologies if this question has been answered elsewhere..

I was wondering if you were to pre-order the game on steam, if u wud be able to activate + play DE:HR on the 23rd in the UK as opposed to the 26th (in retail shops) or if their is something in place to stop UK residents playing the game early?

was debating canceling my pre-order with HMV as u get the original Deus Ex off steam aswell when u preorder (my original cd was borrowed and never returned!!)

many thanks in advance :) x

Dr_Bob
14th Aug 2011, 19:49
Hi Guys,

I guess this is the Steam related section, apologies if this question has been answered elsewhere..

I was wondering if you were to pre-order the game on steam, if u wud be able to activate + play DE:HR on the 23rd in the UK as opposed to the 26th (in retail shops) or if their is something in place to stop UK residents playing the game early?

was debating canceling my pre-order with HMV as u get the original Deus Ex off steam aswell when u preorder (my original cd was borrowed and never returned!!)

many thanks in advance :) x

Probably not, publishers split release dates and activations based on your region.

I know because I tried to activate Black Ops a couple of days before the UK release but I couldn't, despite owning a license for the game.

I highly recommend you go for the cheapest pre-order option available to you.

Charadesmith
14th Aug 2011, 19:55
There is a way but i really don't advice trying it. So if you come across that "solution" in your searches, i think it's best you ignore it and endure the extra waiting.

Neoworm
14th Aug 2011, 22:35

I wait for the time when posting walkthroughs or plot summaries will be illegalized because it hurts the potencial (thus completely nonexistant) sales.

EDIT: That could include negative reviews too. What hurt games sales more than your favourite reviewer saying it sucks?

By the way, I am really not buying. Regrettably its the only think I can do agains srupid inclusion of steam. And everybody who says that I lose more by not spending 60 bucks on game than developers not getting my money are part of the problem. Because they are exactly the types that will swallow any unfair DRM or another producer dirty tricks without even thinkink. Steam have its good points, but its still prime example of feature bloat and potencially dangerous DRM precedens for the future. Look around - always on DRM is being implemented into singleplayer games! Who do you think it all started with their always on client where offline mode is added feature and not a standard?

Fox89
14th Aug 2011, 23:02
By the way, I am really not buying. Regrettably its the only think I can do agains srupid inclusion of steam. And everybody who says that I lose more by not spending 60 bucks on game than developers not getting my money are part of the problem. Because they are exactly the types that will swallow any unfair DRM or another producer dirty tricks without even thinkink. Steam have its good points, but its still prime example of feature bloat and potencially dangerous DRM precedens for the future. Look around - always on DRM is being implemented into singleplayer games! Who do you think it all started with their always on client where offline mode is added feature and not a standard?

Actually I don't think you could be more wrong. Take me, for example. I am a big Steam supporter; I love it to bits and use it as much as possible. But there are some sacrifices such as the one-time activation (that DX used), that are acceptable, and others that are not. I will not buy any Ubisoft game with their ridiculous constant DRM, for example.

Which is a shame as I was rather looking forward to trying out the new Driver game.

The point is there is nothing wrong with accepting reasonable levels of bull****, as long as you get a good game out of it. As long as all I have to do is activate the game once on Steam, or enter a one-time CD-Key, or register some details to set up an account on my first start up... fine. One inconvenience at the end of the install isn't a big deal. But when they start inconveniencing me in the middle if my game because internet connection drops out, or if I'm prevented playing a game on a laptop on the train where I have no connection, or some other rubbish like that, THEN I will be with you 100%.

Pick your battles is the gist of what I'm saying, and pick the ones that really matter.

Charadesmith
14th Aug 2011, 23:09
Principles are necessary and have been lacking, but never forgot some level of pragmatism.

Cri du chat
15th Aug 2011, 01:05
Okay I bought it on steam, when’s that preloading date?

ShadowZen
15th Aug 2011, 05:53
FYI wired- broadband (not slow satellite pseudo-hispeed) has not reached all corners of the globe yet. Many people are inconvenienced by Steam insisting on large downloads and game monitoring. Please don't tell me that offline play is available after lengthy downloads. Steam still requires frequent updates and inconveniences you may not notice because of your speed. Shogun2 took hours and many updates prevented me from playing this game happily. Also I'd like to run this game without internet connection on any computer I choose. Is that too much to ask.

IF I BUY A CD OR DVD DO I NEED TO GO ONLINE TO PLAY IT? NO. So that argument is foolish. Please do not use it again.

Some people like myself prefer to own a game they paid for and aren't foolish enough to blindly accept what they are told.

Cri du chat
15th Aug 2011, 08:21
Putting Human Revolution on steam is part of a massive conspiracy against people who still like to own disks. The truth is out there man; valve is holding us down with their inconvenient several minute updates and long downloading times thanks to several million other users thinking they deserve to have games MORE THEN ME. The limited installments are an infringement of my right to ritualistically uninstall and reinstall games that I RIGHTFULLY OWN every day onto my computer so that the game is always new to me. As a PC gamer I demand immediate satisfaction in all things and I will not tolerate being made to use anything I don't absolutely adore. Eidos Montreal, you will cancel the release of this game and redesign it so that it does not require the use of steam. I don't care how far back you push the release date so long as it doesn’t need to go through valve. The only thing that matters is if I am appeased.

Amitush
15th Aug 2011, 08:36
Yes! anything with conspiracy in it is good!

Fox89
15th Aug 2011, 08:58
IF I BUY A CD OR DVD DO I NEED TO GO ONLINE TO PLAY IT? NO. So that argument is foolish. Please do not use it again.

You're absolutely right. UNLESS the CD/DVD you have bought is one of the following:

- Spore
- Mass Effect
- Bioshock
- The Sims 3
- C&C Red Alert 3
- Alo- you know what, actually, just anything by EA.

But even so, EA have a massive number of games. Most of which require activation via an online server.

Some people like myself prefer to own a game they paid for and aren't foolish enough to blindly accept what they are told.

Why do people like you always assume those who disagree with you are 'blindly accepting what they are told'? Check out my post a little way up again, where I make it perfectly clear that isn't the case. Why do you have this militant attitude of 'my way or the highway'? I promise you getting a bit of perspective and learning to compromise will make things work out much better for you.

Putting Human Revolution on steam is part of a massive conspiracy against people who still like to own disks. The truth is out there man; valve is holding us down with their inconvenient several minute updates and long downloading times thanks to several million other users thinking they deserve to have games MORE THEN ME. The limited installments are an infringement of my right to ritualistically uninstall and reinstall games that I RIGHTFULLY OWN every day onto my computer so that the game is always new to me. As a PC gamer I demand immediate satisfaction in all things and I will not tolerate being made to use anything I don't absolutely adore. Eidos Montreal, you will cancel the release of this game and redesign it so that it does not require the use of steam. I don't care how far back you push the release date so long as it doesn’t need to go through valve. The only thing that matters is if I am appeased.

Welcome to the forum my new favourite person :D

Salah-ad Din
15th Aug 2011, 09:03
Mhm...I think there are some important things missing from this "Steam FAQ", unless it's not meant to connect to the actual game at all.

For instance I wonder how the activation on Steam will work, more exactly when will it work? I've ordered the English version of the game that is meant to be activated on August the 23rd, yet I live in Germany, have a german IP and Steam-ID and here the game is meant to be released on August the 26th.

Will I be able to activate my game on the 23rd, or not before the 26th? (The latter, of course, would make me very sad :hmm:) Steam is not very informative on this question. It says "August 2011". Well at least that leaves the small possibility for not having to wait until the 26th...*hope dies last* :D

jtr7
15th Aug 2011, 09:13

wut

ShadowZen
15th Aug 2011, 10:03

Cute. But your last line explains your whole paragraph.

You are appeased and Happy with it so others' problems are of no concern to you. I have problems with it so I am not. Simple to grasp.

Appeased? Try Hours, not minutes, of Download time and multiple issues with Steam requiring days of downtime waiting for emails and unnecessary frustration. You might not feel so arrogant then.

And I never went to the absurdity you proposed. I'd just like an option to opt out of Steam. Oh, Yeah. I do have an option. It is to not buy the game and let the developers know why.

Neoworm
15th Aug 2011, 15:10
Eidos Montreal, you will cancel the release of this game and redesign it so that it does not require the use of steam. I don't care how far back you push the release date so long as it doesn’t need to go through valve. The only thing that matters is if I am appeased.

They dont have to push the release date. I am pretty sure they wont miss the oportunity to release some few more versions like Extended version, game of the Year version, Gold version, Collector edition etc. Just make one of them not requiring steam at all. I am patient, I can wait.

Salah-ad Din
15th Aug 2011, 15:41
You're feeding the troll and doodle in idle fantasy. Neither will it happen that Eidos / Square Enix will listen to the demands (how rediculous) of some lunatic, nor have I ever seen a game which got stripped of it's Steamworks on a later release.

I suggest we get back to topic.

MaxxQ1
15th Aug 2011, 15:58
wut

Cute. But your last line explains your whole paragraph.

You are appeased and Happy with it so others' problems are of no concern to you. I have problems with it so I am not. Simple to grasp.

Appeased? Try Hours, not minutes, of Download time and multiple issues with Steam requiring days of downtime waiting for emails and unnecessary frustration. You might not feel so arrogant then.

And I never went to the absurdity you proposed. I'd just like an option to opt out of Steam. Oh, Yeah. I do have an option. It is to not buy the game and let the developers know why.

They dont have to push the release date. I am pretty sure they wont miss the oportunity to release some few more versions like Extended version, game of the Year version, Gold version, Collector edition etc. Just make one of them not requiring steam at all. I am patient, I can wait.

You're feeding the troll and doodle in idle fantasy. Neither will it happen that Eidos / Square Enix will listen to the demands (how rediculous) of some lunatic, nor have I ever seen a game which got stripped of it's Steamworks on a later release.

I suggest we get back to topic.

I think a few people need to check the calibration of their sarcasm/hyperbole detectors...

nomotog
15th Aug 2011, 16:07
We all should know this, but if you really really hate steam. You have the option to buy the game on console and not use steam.

Salah-ad Din
15th Aug 2011, 16:11
I think a few people need to check the calibration of their sarcasm/hyperbole detectors...

Yes, those where the people that got offtopic. And that's what I was complaining about. Partly because I asked a question that is already burried on the last page. Great...

Neoworm
15th Aug 2011, 16:25
We all should know this, but if you really really hate steam. You have the option to buy the game on console and not use steam.
Thats one of the things that are worse than ridiculous PC DRM measures. Consoles are bad for anything that is not hack&slash or fighting game. Only worse thing than play FPS on console is to play FPS on kinect.

I know about few indie games that were distributed by steam only and later became availible completely DRM-less on special occasion. There is a way. And somebody should take the oportunity.

DXeXodus
15th Aug 2011, 18:25
Consoles are bad for anything that is not hack&slash or fighting game. Only worse thing than play FPS on console is to play FPS on kinect.

And that of course would be your opinion. :whistle:

Salah-ad Din
15th Aug 2011, 18:26
Mhm...I think there are some important things missing from this "Steam FAQ", unless it's not meant to connect to the actual game at all.

For instance I wonder how the activation on Steam will work, more exactly when will it work? I've ordered the English version of the game that is meant to be activated on August the 23rd, yet I live in Germany, have a german IP and Steam-ID and here the game is meant to be released on August the 26th.

Will I be able to activate my game on the 23rd, or not before the 26th? (The latter, of course, would make me very sad :hmm:) Steam is not very informative on this question. It says "August 2011". Well at least that leaves the small possibility for not having to wait until the 26th...*hope dies last* :D

Thanks again.

pha
15th Aug 2011, 21:41
i ****ing hate when JC sais that. i love every word that comes out of that fictional mans mouth except for that one, it just makes me cringe.

:confused: :scratch:

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

leeboy262
17th Aug 2011, 19:47
Title basically says my whole question.

Jordasm
17th Aug 2011, 19:56
Nope. Human Revolution is a purely single player game :)

Zorvan
17th Aug 2011, 20:33
Nope. Human Revolution is a purely single player game :)

And thank whichever God you hold dear for that.:)

thanos
17th Aug 2011, 21:54
So far it isnt,doesnt mean you cant create a party chat and talk to your friends while playing.

I have seen 2309jay,he too has much power.

Blackbird SR-71C
17th Aug 2011, 23:11
So far it isnt,doesnt mean you cant create a party chat and talk to your friends while playing.

I have seen 2309jay,he too has much power.

Well you have that option for every game you play over steam, so I guess that should be true for HR as well since it supports steam.

caitsith01
18th Aug 2011, 13:55
This is most definitely true.

Yes, we should be grateful to our glorious corporate overlords for permitting us to give them our money. It is for our own good that they have deigned to do this via a hideously locked down spyware package. :rolleyes:

caitsith01
18th Aug 2011, 14:01
A Steamworks game requires activation on Steam.

Incorrect. Borderlands allows you to use Steamworks but does not require you to use it, or Steam.

So I ask, yet again: can anyone point to any evidence that boxed copies of this game will definitely require (not offer, require) the use of Steamworks/Steam?

caitsith01
18th Aug 2011, 14:05
The game uses Steamworks and therefor requires Steam.

As per my post above, this is not necessarily so. The question is whether (as Eidos keeps cryptically saying) the game "supports" Steamworks, or requires it.

I have a copy of Borderlands right here which supports Steamworks, yet I am able to play it without Steam on my PC...

SPop
18th Aug 2011, 14:15
As per my post above, this is not necessarily so. The question is whether (as Eidos keeps cryptically saying) the game "supports" Steamworks, or requires it.

I have a copy of Borderlands right here which supports Steamworks, yet I am able to play it without Steam on my PC...

OK, so if your retail version of Borderlands supports Steamworks, then surely you must be able to add the game to Steam. Except you can't, because there is no key to enter in Steam, and only copies bought on Steam can get the Steamworks achievements.

caitsith01
18th Aug 2011, 14:22
OK, so if your retail version of Borderlands supports Steamworks, then surely you must be able to add the game to Steam. Except you can't, because there is no key to enter in Steam, and only copies bought on Steam can get the Steamworks achievements.

Ok, poor phrasing by me - but Borderlands, the game, "supports Steamworks", which is what Eidos keep saying about DX - I am looking for official confirmation that if I buy a boxed copy, I will be forced to use Steam to activate it. Because if I am, I won't. And by that I mean, I am curious to know if anyone can point me to a definitive statement to that effect (and not merely speculation that "supports Steamworks" == "requires Steam").

musicrab
18th Aug 2011, 14:27
Don't know about Borderland but all PC versions of #DXHR includes Steamworks. Whether you use any of the Steamworks features or not, you must use Steam to activate the game.

caitsith01
18th Aug 2011, 14:29
Don't know about Borderland but all PC versions of #DXHR includes Steamworks. Whether you use any of the Steamworks features or not, you must use Steam to activate the game.

Source?

Charadesmith
18th Aug 2011, 14:45
Now, about that pre-load............

tZer
18th Aug 2011, 14:47
Source?

Did the whole region lock thing just fly by your head? This is well known here :)
You have to activate all retail PC boxes through steam to be able to play it.

musicrab
18th Aug 2011, 15:11
What caitsith01 is asking is for proof that the only digital version of the game is Steamworks. We know the boxed copies are all Steamworks.
As far as we know there is ONLY a digital Steamworks build for the PC. There was (and probably still is) a fuss from digital etailers (not including Valve for obvious reasons) that the ONLY digital version available is with Steamworks. I think what caitsith01 has to do is prove to himself that there is only a Steamworks digital version by finding a digital etailer that sells a NON-Steamworks version. Just look at GreenManGaming (says Steam is needed).

Dr_Bob
18th Aug 2011, 16:15
Incorrect. Borderlands allows you to use Steamworks but does not require you to use it, or Steam.

So I ask, yet again: can anyone point to any evidence that boxed copies of this game will definitely require (not offer, require) the use of Steamworks/Steam?

Retail Borderlands does not come with Steamworks.

The Steam Store version of Borderlands uses Steamworks.

It has been confirmed many times that Steam is required to play Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Charadesmith
18th Aug 2011, 23:15
Pre load is now available!

I can't because i haven't received a key from Green Man Gaming yet but oh well.

XX55XX
18th Aug 2011, 23:22
I haven't received a key either. Please, hurry up, GMG!

Tecman
18th Aug 2011, 23:25
http://www.shrani.si/f/w/lK/27i4WeV6/preloading.png
Pre-loading. :)

Also, in case you have problems, manually force a pre-load by putting this in a browser: steam://install/28050

thanos
18th Aug 2011, 23:28
Was in before the unlikely lock ?

Charadesmith
18th Aug 2011, 23:28
Me wants...;_;

Zorvan
18th Aug 2011, 23:31
I haven't received a key either. Please, hurry up, GMG!

I started a thread there: http://forums.greenmangaming.com/topic/473/?page=1#post-4474

nonprofitkilla
18th Aug 2011, 23:37
Gotta wait for GMG.

ZakKa89
18th Aug 2011, 23:42
I pre-ordered from retail :p damn it I want to pre-load too.

KingNL
19th Aug 2011, 00:26
Same here Zakka :(

NKD
19th Aug 2011, 00:29
Almost done preloading! Wheeee. Now for the long wait...

On2wheels
19th Aug 2011, 01:46
Anyone get keys from D2d yet?

thanos
19th Aug 2011, 02:01
Gentlemen start your engines ?

3nails4you
19th Aug 2011, 02:07
The achievements on Steam are also click-on-able now, and were not before. Just FYI :) Thanks for the heads up on the preload, this is great because right now I have a 50 Mb/s dl speed, and where I will be on the 24th has an average 156 kb/s dl speed. Great stuff.

jason95821
19th Aug 2011, 03:20
doubt you will get your keys till date it comes out

hashi
19th Aug 2011, 03:29
I ordered the ultra exclusive floppy disk version. It's 5,530 disks, (each which is gold, silver and platinum plated, embossed with SQ and EM's logo on each one!) and the first shipment arrived today! I'm installing now!!!! Up to disk 431 now.WOOO!! can't wait till they also ship me the key that let's me play the game

thanos
19th Aug 2011, 04:01
Your jokeing right ?

Zorvan
19th Aug 2011, 04:33
Your jokeing right ?

You know, I think I'd probably buy it if he wasn't.

Cerulean Shaman
19th Aug 2011, 04:34
doubt you will get your keys till date it comes out

Actually, Green Man Gaming gets the keys around the same time steam preloads go live because that's about the time retailers (including steam) receive their copies/keys. I'll post on the thread at GMG, thanks, we should be getting our keys tomorrow or Sat.

Itkovian
19th Aug 2011, 04:56
If you order it from Steam, you don't need to wait for the keys, right? It just activates when the game is released?

And in general, when does it activate? Is it at midnight or noon or some such?

Thank you.

Itkovian

EmmJay
19th Aug 2011, 10:21
So, just to clarify: I pre-ordered a boxed copy, so I'm out of luck when it comes to pre-loading, right?

NKD
19th Aug 2011, 10:26
So, just to clarify: I pre-ordered a boxed copy, so I'm out of luck when it comes to pre-loading, right?

That is correct. The only way to preload is to have purchased through Steam or have a code to add to Steam.

Itkovian
19th Aug 2011, 12:00
That is correct. The only way to preload is to have purchased through Steam or have a code to add to Steam.

And when actually can we actually "complete" the download? Is it at Midnight GMT? Noon?

Thank you.

Itkovian

Itkovian
19th Aug 2011, 12:04
And here's another question: if I pre-ordered another copy, is it possible to order from Steam and enter the promo code from that other copy in order to gain its benefits?

I imagine it is, since one of the reasons they do these special benefits for pre-orders is so people order multiple copies, so there has to be a way to gain the benefits from all versions. But where are these promo codes entered? In the steam client?

Itkovian

Cerulean Shaman
19th Aug 2011, 12:13
And when actually can we actually "complete" the download? Is it at Midnight GMT? Noon?

Thank you.

Itkovian

There's a timer right on the steam page. Right now it's set for midnight EST, not sure if it's different for anyone else.

DisaFear
19th Aug 2011, 12:19
Completed in 3.5 hours
Pumpeeeeed hypeeeed

OhSorryOldHorse
19th Aug 2011, 13:15
question, from a guy purchasing a new released game via Steam for the first time...

So say I bought the game now, waiting til it's release date...I'll receive my CD key that day to download it right? Or will I receive it when I buy it, and can input it, but not be able to play the game til Steam unlocks it on the 23rd?

Acid_Burn
19th Aug 2011, 13:33
You won't receive any keys. The game just appears in your account. All you have to do is just download it. Or pre-load it now. On the release date Stem will download a little patch so you can play the game. That's it.

KommissarK
19th Aug 2011, 14:30

I'm unsure of which type of copy you say you are purchasing.

If you buy it digitally, over Steam, as of right now, you can pre-load, and it unlocks at release date.

If you buy a physical copy (and somehow acquire it pre release date, for the PC), then you add the key to Steam. You can install (pre-load basically), but will probably be unable to play as well.

The thing with being Steam based, is that it unlocks globally at the stated time. Breaking release date with the disks doesn't matter (this was rather hilarious to watch with HL2 when it was released, being one of the earliest, if not the first, game to unlock on Steam. Almost nobody realized this system was in place, and it caused alot of grief for people to find out the hard way, as many of the retailers broke street date).

Pretty much, unless you are using illicit techniques that shouldn't be discussed on these boards, I seriously doubt PC users will be playing the game before the 23rd.

Consoles should be good though.

Botlam
19th Aug 2011, 15:14
Is the localization of the game dependant on my steam zone?
I live in Poland and would like to preorder the game on STEAM but I wanted to know if I will be able to play the game in full english version(as in with english menus, subs, etc.)? Will that be possible or is STEAM going to automatically download the localized files for my region? Tbqh I hate that localized crap and would like to play the game as it was designed(and not translated by some poor schmuck).

Acid_Burn
19th Aug 2011, 15:23
If you buy the game on Steam you will be able to choose the language you like.

Botlam
19th Aug 2011, 15:28
Is there any officialy confirmed source on this?

musicrab
19th Aug 2011, 15:41
I pre-ordered from retail :p damn it I want to pre-load too.

Ah, the retail guys complaining that they cannot pre-load. I wouldn't worry, as you won't be able to play it until next Friday (Europe activate day is the 26th...)

HOWEVER, if the get your box BEFORE next Friday you should be able to pre-load (if you don't want to use your DVD).

Acid_Burn
19th Aug 2011, 15:58
Is there any officialy confirmed source on this?
DXHR page on Steam. There's a list of all available languages.

But if you buy retail DVD version there's might be some restrictions.

Botlam
19th Aug 2011, 16:12
DXHR page on Steam. There's a list of all available languages.
They're available allright, doesn't mean you can play them. Had the same problem with some other titles on STEAM that didn't allow me to change the language version.
So far I didn't see any real as in officialy confirmed source by either a Sqeenix or Eidos rep.

jaywalker2309
19th Aug 2011, 16:13
All versions can play all languages on PC.. The languages had to be split on the discs due to size, but for example if you bought French version on disc, then within steam client once installed, you can change this to english within the programs properties.

pha
19th Aug 2011, 16:17
Pre-loading complete. Now to wait for the unlock. :)

Acid_Burn
19th Aug 2011, 16:27
They're available allright, doesn't mean you can play them. Had the same problem with some other titles on STEAM that didn't allow me to change the language version.
Was it the game bought on Steam directly or retail version?

Enemy242
19th Aug 2011, 17:43
Why are people with retail discs wanting to preload? You can't just unlock it at midnight because YOU BOUGHT A DISC. You pick it up from the store, bring it home, install it from the disc in 5 minutes, it activates via steam, you're done; its not like you have to download all 8 gb of the game to play it; installing it from the disc will take like 5 minutes after you get home so chill out and microwave some food or something if you can't stand to wait the extra 5 minutes after you've already waited hours after midnight. if you want to play it at midnight so badly you should have either not purchased a retail version (i'd rather have the tracer tong mission than play it at midnight considering during the week i have responsibilities) or somehow get your box copy so you have it and are able to install it right at midnight (which you can't unless somehow you and your retailer are such close friends they're willing to break the law for you by providing it before release date, which i highly doubt).

Solid_1723
19th Aug 2011, 17:58
Why are people with retail discs wanting to preload? You can't just unlock it at midnight because YOU BOUGHT A DISC. You pick it up from the store, bring it home, install it from the disc in 5 minutes, it activates via steam, you're done; its not like you have to download all 8 gb of the game to play it; installing it from the disc will take like 5 minutes after you get home so chill out and microwave some food or something if you can't stand to wait the extra 5 minutes after you've already waited hours after midnight. if you want to play it at midnight so badly you should have either not purchased a retail version (i'd rather have the tracer tong mission than play it at midnight considering during the week i have responsibilities) or somehow get your box copy so you have it and are able to install it right at midnight (which you can't unless somehow you and your retailer are such close friends they're willing to break the law for you by providing it before release date, which i highly doubt).

Fair enough...Then I want to preload the English language pack!;)

Itkovian
19th Aug 2011, 18:00
I have a question:

If I order and pre-download the normal edition from Steam, and I also pre-ordered the augmented edition from Amazon, could I then gain the benefits of the augmented edition (once I receive the promo code) in the steam edition I already installed?

I guess that comes down to: is it possible to put the pre-order codes in steam in order to then unlock the various pre-order benefits (so, I guess, if someone pre-ordered from amazon AND gamestop, could they then obtain both pre-order packs on their Steam edition)?

Itkovian

KommissarK
19th Aug 2011, 18:14
I have a question:

If I order and pre-download the normal edition from Steam, and I also pre-ordered the augmented edition from Amazon, could I then gain the benefits of the augmented edition (once I receive the promo code) in the steam edition I already installed?

I guess that comes down to: is it possible to put the pre-order codes in steam in order to then unlock the various pre-order benefits (so, I guess, if someone pre-ordered from amazon AND gamestop, could they then obtain both pre-order packs on their Steam edition)?

Itkovian

In other games similar things have been possible. Its impossible to say that it is so with this game in particular, but usually, pre-order bonuses are kept on separate keys, and packaged on a single slip of paper in the CD case.

What is most likely, is if you buy it on Steam, but order from Amazon, Steam will obviously unlock first, but the Amazon/GS pre-order key can be added in later.

The big question, is if the content will be added into any save game in progress, or if a new game will be needed to gain access to the extra material.

Itkovian
19th Aug 2011, 18:53
In other games similar things have been possible. Its impossible to say that it is so with this game in particular, but usually, pre-order bonuses are kept on separate keys, and packaged on a single slip of paper in the CD case.

What is most likely, is if you buy it on Steam, but order from Amazon, Steam will obviously unlock first, but the Amazon/GS pre-order key can be added in later.

The big question, is if the content will be added into any save game in progress, or if a new game will be needed to gain access to the extra material.

Ah, good to know. Thank you.

Itkovian

OhSorryOldHorse
19th Aug 2011, 19:07
You won't receive any keys. The game just appears in your account. All you have to do is just download it. Or pre-load it now. On the release date Stem will download a little patch so you can play the game. That's it.

thank you :)

another question, to anyone...i'm seeing here that the game will be available for playing once the rest of the world catches up (i'm on the east coast in the US). does this go for Europe as well, or just for the rest of the US in my case? cuz i'm hoping to be playing the game after 5pm on Tuesday

KommissarK
19th Aug 2011, 19:20
thank you :)

another question, to anyone...i'm seeing here that the game will be available for playing once the rest of the world catches up (i'm on the east coast in the US). does this go for Europe as well, or just for the rest of the US in my case? cuz i'm hoping to be playing the game after 5pm on Tuesday

If you're east coast U.S., and you have a key tied into steam by 5 PM on Tuesday, then you're good to go.

If you got it on Steam, preload now, or if you have the disks on hand, it shouldn't take long.

Europe release is actually later in the week, and the Steam countdown timer points to a midnight east coast release window.

NKD
19th Aug 2011, 19:22
Gabe Newell has more power than the government.

OhSorryOldHorse
19th Aug 2011, 19:26
If you're east coast U.S., and you have a key tied into steam by 5 PM on Tuesday, then you're good to go.

If you got it on Steam, preload now, or if you have the disks on hand, it shouldn't take long.

Europe release is actually later in the week, and the Steam countdown timer points to a midnight east coast release window.

and thank you sir, thats extremely good to know. itll be nice coming home from my first day back at college and be able to play HR haha

Solid_1723
19th Aug 2011, 19:28
Gabe Newell has more power than the government.

That's terror!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
19th Aug 2011, 19:39
Pre-loading complete. Now to wait for the unlock. :)

Same. :thumb:

Hawawaa
19th Aug 2011, 20:15
I will say this, ya I got all my dlc even though I have to wait for my copy to be sent to me but I am jealous of the TF2 items you get for preordering. :P Especially the glasses. (Maybe someone will be dumb enough to trade for it I hope). XD

Link (http://www.teamfortress.com/deus-ex/)

Well I also forgot, I am upgrading my pc with a new geforce 580, new powersupply, 1tb memory, and a cooling device and it should all be ready on friday next week... DAMN IT! At least I won't have a problem with only half of my games being able to be direct x11 and others not which I still don't have a damn clue why...?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
19th Aug 2011, 21:36
FYI:

Curious as to when that Steam pre-load will unlock? Don't fret, dear community. I don't want each of you sitting there at your PC, restarting the client over and over on whatever day your version launches. We appreciate the dedication, but not the frustration.

To clear things up, here's the official list of unlock timings:

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/4804/dxsteam.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/88/dxsteam.jpg/)

XX55XX
19th Aug 2011, 21:59
Got my key from GMG earlier today. Currently downloading at 120kb/s. 12% complete so far, but I have been running it for at least two hours.

This will take a while.

OhSorryOldHorse
19th Aug 2011, 22:05
so going by that chart, it should be available on the east coast at 3am.

On2wheels
19th Aug 2011, 23:55

If he opens his box and inputs the key into steam he can preload, but it's faster to install off the dvd, WITHOUT steam running first (it will ask him to login). That's how Portal 2 was for me, much faster.

Dr_Bob
20th Aug 2011, 10:35
If he opens his box and inputs the key into steam he can preload, but it's faster to install off the dvd, WITHOUT steam running first (it will ask him to login). That's how Portal 2 was for me, much faster.

That's assuming he'll get his retail box earlier than release. And even then, there'll be a block to prevent you from activating the game until the official release.

raz3r
20th Aug 2011, 10:57
FYI:
Wait when you say 00:00 you mean the night of 25th August or 26th August?

Dr_Bob
20th Aug 2011, 11:13
Wait when you say 00:00 you mean the night of 25th August or 26th August?

For Russia and Australia, the 25th.

The 26th for everything else.

raz3r
20th Aug 2011, 11:38
For Russia and Australia, the 25th.

The 26th for everything else.
So that means we will play 27th?

Dr_Bob
20th Aug 2011, 12:08
So that means we will play 27th?

No.

You will be able to play on the 26th, at midnight.

raz3r
20th Aug 2011, 12:09
No.

You will be able to play on the 26th, at midnight.
Ok now I get it, thanks for clearing me :D

Zorvan
20th Aug 2011, 12:10
Got my key from GMG earlier today. Currently downloading at 120kb/s. 12% complete so far, but I have been running it for at least two hours.

This will take a while.

Mine downloaded at 3.9mb/s. Took about an hour. Then I spent another hour continually pressing "Play" hoping that the gaming gods would smile upon me and cause the game to be playable by random miracle. :o

goinSTEALTH
20th Aug 2011, 16:59
Gotta question. I live in Oklahoma (which is Central time). So does that mean I won't be able to play my game at 12AM midnight? Do I have to wait until 2AM to play (which would be 12AM on the west coast)? My brother bought a physical copy from Gamestop, so he'll be able to get and play his game at midnight.

jaywalker2309
20th Aug 2011, 17:11
Steam activation is for ALL versions.. disc or digital.. so even if he has a disc copy until its `live on steam` he wont be able to play it..

ZIGS
20th Aug 2011, 22:12
I'm from Europe and I REALLY would love to play the game as soon as possible. I know some very reliable friends in America, would if work if I told one of them my Steam account details so they could unlock the game on the 23rd? It should remain unlocked if then I log in from Europe right?

Charadesmith
20th Aug 2011, 22:20
Não deve funcionar

Because the region is determined when the game is activated, not when it's unlocked. However, if you log in from a different region in the meantime, i'm not 100% sure whether it unlocks or not. Maybe someone else knows better

Rockn-Roll
20th Aug 2011, 22:26
I would like to prevent the game from crashing when I first start it. Does anyone know if -windowed in the Steam launch options will work with DX:HR? Will I need to find a DeusEx.ini file and change the settings there to prevent the game from trying to launch full screen and crash?

Some games default to fullscreen as an initial default setting...I figure DX:HR will too. Unfortunately, this can cause the game to crash on some PC systems. My desktop runs at 5040x1050 through a Matrox Digital Triple Head 2 Go (DTH2Go) with three 22" widescreen LCDs. But, the refresh rate has to be 59hz so that the DTH2Go gets that 60hz-59hz = .0167 seconds to operate at that high of a resolution.

If the game would just go ahead and use 5040x1050 as the default initial resolution then the game would run fine fullscreen...a few games I actually do run at that resolution such as F3AR. Unfortunately, games usually force fullscreen at a relatively small resolution of like 1280x800. This is not a valid resolution for the DTH2Go, so it allows a bypass to access the monitor directly.

Unfortunately, the game doesn't change the refresh rate...leaving it at 59hz which is not valid for my monitor...it has to run at 60hz for all resolutions less than the maximum 1680x1050. The result is that the game crashes on startup because 1280x800 at 59hz is not valid...it happens a lot more than people realize even if they don't have a DTH2Go...because when it happens they update their drivers and when the drivers get updated it resets their graphics cards to a default setting and then the game runs OK...then they can get into the game menu and change the settings to make best use of their graphics hardware and actually test the settings instead of crashing the game.

For example, with my purchase of the augmented version of DX:HR through Steam I got Deus Ex:GOTY. It tried to startup in fullscreen and it crashed on startup...all I saw was the ESRB rating logo. I tried adding -windowed to the launch settings, but that didn't work. I had to guess that there was an initialization file which I found at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\deus ex\System\DeusEx.ini and changed "StartupFullscreen=True" to "StartupFullscreen=False". Then the game ran fine.

I thought I would also mention that there was another thread where someone actually wanted to play the game in windowed mode, but that is NOT what I want to do. I just want the game to run without crashing so I can get to the menu system and setup a nice 5040x1050 fullscreen configuration. But, I can't get to the menu if the game crashes on startup because it's trying to configure my monitors for settings which are invalid for the hardware.

Rindill the Red
20th Aug 2011, 22:26
Trying to bypass things like this is probably not a good idea. For all we know you'll activate the game in America and never be able to play it in Europe.

ZIGS
20th Aug 2011, 22:30
Trying to bypass things like this is probably not a good idea. For all we know you'll activate the game in America and never be able to play it in Europe.

That'd never happen, you buy something you can use it anywhere

EDIT: I really wish the mods would stop merging topics left and right, it serves absolutely no purpose and only prevents questions from being answered in a timely and organized fashion

Lady_Of_The_Vine
21st Aug 2011, 00:26
I would advise you to PM if you have any complaints about moderation. I will say that new threads discussing the same topic of an existing thread are always merged. The purpose of this system is to keep the board organised - without it, we would have lots of free-floating threads - all discussing the same subject as the other. That would be ridiculous. It only requires a little patience for your question to get answered.

__

Back on topic and FYI, there are restrictions under Steam's License Agreement you might find relevant:

You are entitled to use the Software for your own use, but you are not entitled to: (i) sell, grant a security interest in or transfer reproductions of the Software to other parties in any way, nor to rent, lease or license the Software to others without the prior written consent of Valve; (ii) host or provide matchmaking services for the Software or emulate or redirect the communication protocols used by Valve in any network feature of the Software, through protocol emulation, tunneling, modifying or adding components to the Software, use of a utility program or any other techniques now known or hereafter developed, for any purpose including, but not limited to network play over the Internet, network play utilizing commercial or non-commercial gaming networks or as part of content aggregation networks, without the prior written consent of Valve; or (iii) exploit the Software or any of its parts for any commercial purpose.

goinSTEALTH
21st Aug 2011, 01:45
Just in case someone missed my question:

Gotta question. I live in Oklahoma (which is Central time). So does that mean I won't be able to play my game at 12AM midnight? Do I have to wait until 2AM to play (which would be 12AM on the west coast)? My brother bought a physical copy from Gamestop, so he'll be able to get and play his game at midnight.

Rudal
21st Aug 2011, 07:25
Please, dont tell me that DE:HR is another game which requires steam to work in background in order to play it?
I hate when I'm forced to run programs that I dont like :/

Sarkus
21st Aug 2011, 08:03
Just in case someone missed my question:

Your question is now answered in the first post. You and your brother both will have to wait until the official unlock time because even physical copies use Steam. So yes, you will have to wait until 2AM to play since Oklahoma is Central time.

musicrab
21st Aug 2011, 09:12
Please, dont tell me that DE:HR is another game which requires steam to work in background in order to play it?
I hate when I'm forced to run programs that I dont like :/

Yes, ALL PC version of #DXHR require Steam. http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1652942&postcount=186

You cannot trade games (although I think Valve have a trading Beta out now/soon). But that's another subject...

jaywalker2309
21st Aug 2011, 09:25
I would like to prevent the game from crashing when I first start it. Does anyone know if -windowed in the Steam launch options will work with DX:HR? Will I need to find a DeusEx.ini file and change the settings there to prevent the game from trying to launch full screen and crash?

Some games default to fullscreen as an initial default setting...I figure DX:HR will too. Unfortunately, this can cause the game to crash on some PC systems. My desktop runs at 5040x1050 through a Matrox Digital Triple Head 2 Go (DTH2Go) with three 22" widescreen LCDs. But, the refresh rate has to be 59hz so that the DTH2Go gets that 60hz-59hz = .0167 seconds to operate at that high of a resolution.

If the game would just go ahead and use 5040x1050 as the default initial resolution then the game would run fine fullscreen...a few games I actually do run at that resolution such as F3AR. Unfortunately, games usually force fullscreen at a relatively small resolution of like 1280x800. This is not a valid resolution for the DTH2Go, so it allows a bypass to access the monitor directly.

Unfortunately, the game doesn't change the refresh rate...leaving it at 59hz which is not valid for my monitor...it has to run at 60hz for all resolutions less than the maximum 1680x1050. The result is that the game crashes on startup because 1280x800 at 59hz is not valid...it happens a lot more than people realize even if they don't have a DTH2Go...because when it happens they update their drivers and when the drivers get updated it resets their graphics cards to a default setting and then the game runs OK...then they can get into the game menu and change the settings to make best use of their graphics hardware and actually test the settings instead of crashing the game.

For example, with my purchase of the augmented version of DX:HR through Steam I got Deus Ex:GOTY. It tried to startup in fullscreen and it crashed on startup...all I saw was the ESRB rating logo. I tried adding -windowed to the launch settings, but that didn't work. I had to guess that there was an initialization file which I found at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\deus ex\System\DeusEx.ini and changed "StartupFullscreen=True" to "StartupFullscreen=False". Then the game ran fine.

I thought I would also mention that there was another thread where someone actually wanted to play the game in windowed mode, but that is NOT what I want to do. I just want the game to run without crashing so I can get to the menu system and setup a nice 5040x1050 fullscreen configuration. But, I can't get to the menu if the game crashes on startup because it's trying to configure my monitors for settings which are invalid for the hardware.

Dx1 used unreal engine. DXHR is not unreal engine. I know the problem you having its a pain between monitors being too precise and finicky and directx being very simple in its commands. The game will be fullscreen on start up but will run the setup dialog first allowing you to change resolution first etc so should be okay.

Charadesmith
21st Aug 2011, 09:52
I wish more publishers did what 2K games did with DNF. If EU must get a game released in a later day of the week, then they should get it in the week before

Dr_Bob
21st Aug 2011, 09:59
I wish more publishers did what 2K games did with DNF. If EU must get a game released in a later day of the week, then they should get it in the week before

But that would mean that Americans wait four days between Europe's standard Friday release to America's Tuesday release.

You know what would be better? Simultaneous worldwide releases.

Charadesmith
21st Aug 2011, 10:01
Well whoever has a later weekday for releases should get it earlier. But ofc simultaneous would be the better solution

jaywalker2309
21st Aug 2011, 10:02
But that would mean that Americans wait four days between Europe's standard Friday release to America's Tuesday release.

You know what would be better? Simultaneous worldwide releases.

Not as easy as sounds. PC on steam yes could be easy but this is a multi platform title and the logistics of doing worldwide simultaneous is not as simple as u might think. The whole industry is geared towards the release days of Tuesday and Friday etc :)

Rockn-Roll
21st Aug 2011, 21:33
Dx1 used unreal engine. DXHR is not unreal engine. I know the problem you having its a pain between monitors being too precise and finicky and directx being very simple in its commands. The game will be fullscreen on start up but will run the setup dialog first allowing you to change resolution first etc so should be okay.

If the setup dialog comes up and allows me to change it to windowed before the game starts up then yeah I should be OK. Thanks for responding...though I don't know why my post was merged into a thread for steamworks...anyone having the same problem as me most probably won't look in here. Maybe there should be a crashes at startup thread, so they can see my post and try selecting windowed.

I understand the pain about directX...I developed a graphics engine myself...it has gotten better, but there is still not enough feedback from the hardware to verify that something is working like it should...mostly the hardware just reports that an error occured and identifies the subsystem, but not what the software can do to fix it. I think 90% of the errors the software can fix automatically, for example my problem...I actually get a message on my monitor saying that the refresh rate has been switched to 60hz for the given resolution...maybe that information isn't being passed back to DirectX or something.

jaywalker2309
21st Aug 2011, 23:15
If the setup dialog comes up and allows me to change it to windowed before the game starts up then yeah I should be OK. Thanks for responding...though I don't know why my post was merged into a thread for steamworks...anyone having the same problem as me most probably won't look in here. Maybe there should be a crashes at startup thread, so they can see my post and try selecting windowed.

I understand the pain about directX...I developed a graphics engine myself...it has gotten better, but there is still not enough feedback from the hardware to verify that something is working like it should...mostly the hardware just reports that an error occured and identifies the subsystem, but not what the software can do to fix it. I think 90% of the errors the software can fix automatically, for example my problem...I actually get a message on my monitor saying that the refresh rate has been switched to 60hz for the given resolution...maybe that information isn't being passed back to DirectX or something.

Well technically you dont know it will crash yet, as the games not out for you to know :)

methylene blue
21st Aug 2011, 23:28
So... is this unlock chart completely off?

http://greenmangaming.zendesk.com/entries/20372462-deus-ex-human-revolution-unlock-date-times

ExDeus
22nd Aug 2011, 00:37
u thnk if you log into steam from an american ip (vpn) but live in europe, u can play the game the 23rd?
im gona try

:rolleyes::nut::nut::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Sarkus
22nd Aug 2011, 01:36
So... is this unlock chart completely off?

http://greenmangaming.zendesk.com/entries/20372462-deus-ex-human-revolution-unlock-date-times

It is for North America, as the first post in this thread accurately notes. I'd go by this thread at this point, not what was posted there.

ghostnineone
22nd Aug 2011, 03:05
u thnk if you log into steam from an american ip (vpn) but live in europe, u can play the game the 23rd?
im gona try

:rolleyes::nut::nut::lmao::lmao::lmao:

i dont think that would work unless you have an american credit card and an american account

Rindill the Red
22nd Aug 2011, 03:39
Again, I wouldn't. I'd hate to see you activate the game in America and not be able to play it once it releases in Europe.

Alex Denton
22nd Aug 2011, 04:26
So this game should be able to run in Windowed Mode? I'm really hoping so....

ExDeus
22nd Aug 2011, 13:49
SO, i just signed up for strongVPN... so everytime i connect to it, i have USA ip
now the fun part is, when i did it.. the date in steam changed from 26, to the 23rd.. :D:D
guess i dont have to wait the xtra 3 days
woohoo!!!

Enraged Penguin
22nd Aug 2011, 13:54
That sounds dodgy as hell lol. Make sure you're getting a copy that will actually work in your region. The last thing you want when you live in Europe is a region locked North American copy.

ExDeus
22nd Aug 2011, 14:03
true... i will let you know how it goes
i did buy it on a danish IP
i guess if its region locked, i just have to turn on the VPN everytime i wanna play... :)

This game will unlock in approximately 17 hours
cant wait

Dr_Bob
22nd Aug 2011, 14:22
SO, i just signed up for strongVPN... so everytime i connect to it, i have USA ip
now the fun part is, when i did it.. the date in steam changed from 26, to the 23rd.. :D:D
woohoo!!!

This is a violation of Steam's Subscriber Agreement.

jaywalker2309
22nd Aug 2011, 14:26
woohoo!!!

This is a violation of Steam's Subscriber Agreement.

Yeh not the best place to tell everyone what you doing :)

SethSteiner
22nd Aug 2011, 14:28
As long as he paid for the game, who cares? It's his right to use what he buyed.

jaywalker2309
22nd Aug 2011, 14:33
As long as he paid for the game, who cares? It's his right to use what he buyed.

erm yes thats true based on the t&c of the sale.. that being the launch date being X.. think of it like xmas presents, they are bought in advance and wrapped up, not to be opened until xmas morning, if your parents bought you something before xmas you wouldnt expect to get away with opening it beforehand would you?

@sojurn - do not discuss how to circumvent t&c's.. :)

sojurn
22nd Aug 2011, 14:39
My bad. Won't do so again =)

jaywalker2309
22nd Aug 2011, 14:40
My bad. Won't do so again =)

No worries :)

Enraged Penguin
22nd Aug 2011, 14:41
Who's to say he's not in the United States? They'll never know.

SethSteiner
22nd Aug 2011, 14:42
In Germany we get our presents at the 24th, mostly evening :P
But since this is not christmas but a sale and that on the globalized internet, he shouldn't wait 3 days (!) more just because... I don't know why.^^

jaywalker2309
22nd Aug 2011, 14:47
In Germany we get our presents at the 24th, mostly evening :P
But since this is not christmas but a sale and that on the globalized internet, he shouldn't wait 3 days (!) more just because... I don't know why.^^

if we were physically able to KNOW that no one got the game until when we `launch it` then we would.. but its not, so we cant.. some get to play a day or so early, some dont.. thats life.. the PC we CAN control. personally i'd like worldwide simultaneous release, but thats not my decision to make.

Solid_1723
22nd Aug 2011, 14:47
Who's to say he's not in the United States? They'll never know.

They'll never stop looking!

SethSteiner
22nd Aug 2011, 14:51
if we were physically able to KNOW that no one got the game until when we `launch it` then we would.. but its not, so we cant.. some get to play a day or so early, some dont.. thats life.. the PC we CAN control. personally i'd like worldwide simultaneous release, but thats not my decision to make.

Some people have a problem to be controlled and as we speak of steam here, it would be possible to activate every game worldwide simultaneously. ExDeus take it into his own hands, he wouldn't have to if the executive floor had made a better decision.

jaywalker2309
22nd Aug 2011, 14:54
Some people have a problem to be controlled and as we speak of steam here, it would be possible to activate every game worldwide simultaneously. ExDeus take it into his own hands, he wouldn't have to if the executive floor had made a better decision.

as i said we set the release dates.. i may not agree with staggered, but it is what it is.. :)

Salah-ad Din
22nd Aug 2011, 16:32
Not as easy as sounds. PC on steam yes could be easy but this is a multi platform title and the logistics of doing worldwide simultaneous is not as simple as u might think. The whole industry is geared towards the release days of Tuesday and Friday etc :)

There is a physical release day - and I can see why it's necessary to bind this to the dates that are acustomed to the stores both in Europe and the USA - and an activation date, set by Steam.

I mean, since we have to use Steam, why not use all of it's features correctly? Okay, let the stores sell it on tuesday and friday, but set the activation day to friday. This way there is no 3-day headstart, no spoilers floating around the forums, no unfairness.

trick1992
22nd Aug 2011, 16:52
So when do we get it! Today, 23/8/11 or on 26/8/11?

Traditionally Singapore has always been following release dates that were set for the US.

Preloading now on Steam.

killquest
22nd Aug 2011, 22:00
Can someone please explain to me why Steam is waiting till 3am to release this game? It makes absolutely no sense to me why they are doing this?

mad825
22nd Aug 2011, 22:06
So you don't end-up crashing their servers.

Nobody likes benign form of a DDOS attack.

killquest
22nd Aug 2011, 22:08
already preloaded

mad825
22nd Aug 2011, 22:10
For you maybe. What about the other thousands of people?

You still have to access the server for the conformation. Even if the file size is 1KB, there are many people who's going to access that 1KB file.

TheFuture
22nd Aug 2011, 22:16
It has NOTHING to do with avoiding crashing their servers. The game has a release schedule issued by Enix and Steam is keeping to it.

mad825
22nd Aug 2011, 22:20
Spoil sport.

Now all of this DRM BS seems like a waste of time.

Ashpolt
22nd Aug 2011, 23:14
Can someone please explain to me why Steam is waiting till 3am to release this game? It makes absolutely no sense to me why they are doing this?

Are you on the East Coast, by any chance? If so, it could be that they wanted / legally needed to do it simultaneously across the US, and so needed to release at midnight West Coast time.

(This is pure supposition btw, I'm in the UK so have no idea about the US release schedule.)

killquest
23rd Aug 2011, 00:30
yes I'm on the East Coast. My issue is that EVERY game that is released is released on EST time. Not Pacific time. So I'm confused why we have to wait till 3am to play it. Right now Steam is saying it will unlock at 4am. I mean wtf?

jtr7
23rd Aug 2011, 02:12
I remember with Batman: AA, some stores sold copies early, and there were forum threads started by n00bs who asked why they were having problems getting it up and running. I wonder if we'll see that here. There were also threads started by, um, well, these people who had pirated copies who complained about a specific DRM-related glitch on the official forums and unwittingly--no wits were used--outed themselves as pirates.

Xelsiar
23rd Aug 2011, 02:13
SO, I just pre-ordered my Augmented Edition at Gamestop. So, I'm getting all the bells and whistles that come with it. I've been looking forward to the "Human Revolution" installment of Dues Ex since I first heard about it. However, I WAS under the expectations that it still had a Online Multiplayer edition to the game. As I found out, I was wrong in my thinking, and seeing as it was a somewhat important part of the game that I was looking forward to, that I am now not going to get a chance to experience... My question then turns to.. ?

With that being said, how much game time does Dues Ex have? Considering there is only a single campaign to the game, and no multiplayer. I was just wondering if this is something I should take in moderation so I dont blow through the game, and ultimately more money to please my video game urges, or is it loaded with content, and I can expect to be playing it for some time?

Xel!

Jewseph
23rd Aug 2011, 02:24
Dude. 40-45 hours (IF NOT MORE!!!). lol that is if you are a meticulous player, which you should be if you've played the others. Easily 30 for the average player.

Based on the many different reviews I've read so far.

bigg1514
23rd Aug 2011, 02:37
Hello all,

Sorry if this has already been answered, but I have searched the forums...

I pre-ordered the game from Amazon. When will I get my game key to download from Steam? I never intended to use the DVD, but I wanted to buy from Amazon. I want to pre load the game as soon as possible!

EDIT: I can't get the steam://preload/28050/ or steam://install/28050/ to work either, they just open up steam and it sits there. Tried them both with steam already open and steam exited. Getting slightly frustrated.

Thanks in advance

Risingred
23rd Aug 2011, 03:10
However, I WAS under the expectations that it still had a Online Multiplayer edition to the game.

Wait...what? How? Why?

Cerulean Shaman
23rd Aug 2011, 03:23
All right, if you bought the game from Amazon they won't send you the key as far as I know. You have to wait until the game gets to you and then, AFTER release, you can choose to use Steam to the download the game over your dvd's if you really wanted to.

There's no preloading for physical copies which is what you're getting from Amazon, so you're going to have to wait until the box gets to your house. For digital sells, sometimes you get preloads. For example, at Green Man Gaming when you preorder the game they email you a key that you can redeem at Steam. Once, and only once, you do so you can preload the game.

HERESY
23rd Aug 2011, 03:32
Wait...what? How? Why?

I second this.

mitch82cc
23rd Aug 2011, 04:32
I'm so confused right now, please help...

I just got home from Walmart with my copy of the PC version of the game. I put in the CD and it's now making me pre-load the game from Steam. So is my retail CD basically worthless and all I purchased was a key code?

And do I still have to wait until it's region unlocked according to Steam? Even though I already own the game? What gives...

Ferral25
23rd Aug 2011, 04:46
Hi,
Just got also my PC pre-order copy, 00.42 a.m. eastern time, montreal.
Can't install the game !@@###$
The installation game pass via Steam Unfertunately
Steam told me that the game is not out yet !!!!
And i work this morning at 8.30 a.m.....

Cerulean Shaman
23rd Aug 2011, 04:47
I'm so confused right now, please help...

I just got home from Walmart with my copy of the PC version of the game. I put in the CD and it's now making me pre-load the game from Steam. So is my retail CD basically worthless and all I purchased was a key code?

And do I still have to wait until it's region unlocked according to Steam? Even though I already own the game? What gives...

No, you can install the game from the discs perfectly fine. Steam is however required because it's a Steamworks game and you'll also have to be online in about 2 hours for Steam to unlock the game for you.

mitch82cc
23rd Aug 2011, 04:48
Yep I'm in the same boat. Who knew that buying a retail edition of the game was worthless? (Actually I'm sure this was common knowledge and I just missed it somehow)

Anyhow...pretty stupid that I'm holding the CD and I can't play the game until Steam decides to let me.

stringtapper
23rd Aug 2011, 04:53
Wait...what? How? Why?

"I've never heard of this game before, but I've really been looking forward to it!" :scratch:

Ferral25
23rd Aug 2011, 04:55
Yep I'm in the same boat. Who knew that buying a retail edition of the game was worthless? (Actually I'm sure this was common knowledge and I just missed it somehow)

Anyhow...pretty stupid that I'm holding the CD and I can't play the game until Steam decides to let me.

i waiting also for this game since very long time.
So, can we know when Steam will decide we can at last install this game ????

mitch82cc
23rd Aug 2011, 04:57
So once my preload is done from Steam then I can play the game right now. Correct?

(Since I have the physical CD in the drive)

Cerulean Shaman
23rd Aug 2011, 05:01
So once my preload is done from Steam then I can play the game right now. Correct?

(Since I have the physical CD in the drive)

No, Steam is used as a universal DRM even for physical copies. You'll have to wait for the game to unlock at 3 AM EDT or 12:00AM PDT like everyone else.

Only the console versions have no locks.

mitch82cc
23rd Aug 2011, 05:03
No, Steam is used as a universal DRM even for physical copies. You'll have to wait for the game to unlock at 3 AM EDT or 12:00AM PDT like everyone else.

Only the console versions have no locks.

Aggghh...that sucks. Not quite sure how I missed this little nugget of info along the way. Thanks for clearing that up though.