PDA

View Full Version : Who's to blame if Hitman Absolution doesn't deliver?

ZanNight
1st Jul 2011, 21:20
I'm giving IO and Eidos the benefit of the doubt, because I don't mind change, which is definitely what they're aiming for with the Hitman franchise whether us long time fans want to see it come about or not. Change can sometimes be good for any story or franchise. And they've always made Hitman masterful in the past.

But I'm worried with how different they're making everything, they'll change Hitman in a /bad/ direction.

What caught my attention first with "bad" direction, was how they said the plot is going to be a /personal/ journey for Hitman. Hmm. This can either be executed well, and Hitman 2: Silent Assassin comes to mind with the whole Father Vitorrio thing - or this can be done as a generic cookie cutter story like in most games these days.

But let's assume that this change that's inevitably happening with the Franchise gets executed badly? Who's to blame for botching up the series?

My opinion?

Square Enix

And why am I rubbed the wrong way with SE? Maybe I'll go on about it later. What do you think?

nirvana1
1st Jul 2011, 23:38
I'm giving IO and Eidos the benefit of the doubt, because I don't mind change, which is definitely what they're aiming for with the Hitman franchise whether us long time fans want to see it come about or not. Change can sometimes be good for any story or franchise. And they've always made Hitman masterful in the past.

But I'm worried with how different they're making everything, they'll change Hitman in a /bad/ direction.

What caught my attention first with "bad" direction, was how they said the plot is going to be a /personal/ journey for Hitman. Hmm. This can either be executed well, and Hitman 2: Silent Assassin comes to mind with the whole Father Vitorrio comes to mind - or this can be done as a generic cookie cutter story like in most games these days.

But let's assume that this change that's inevitably happening with the Franchise gets executed badly? Who's to blame for botching up the series?

My opinion?

Square Enix

And why am I rubbed the wrong way with SE? Maybe I'll go on about it later. What do you think?

im compeletly agree changes can be good but this changes are very bad and its the bigest mistake in hitman series

jtr7
2nd Jul 2011, 00:17
...I don't mind change... Change can sometimes be good for any story or franchise.
Most agree, especially when it comes to improvement people have wanted all along, but not change in and of itself.

This is exactly what people are worried about, not change in and of itself.

If changes are made that undermine what Hitman does best and those elements that makes a Hitman game a Hitman game, and not yet another game with similar primary game mechanics shared across other titles and genres, it will only be the publisher's/developer's fault if the majority of the main audience never asked for the changes in any serious way.

If changes are made with respectful disagreement with the main audience, and made to appeal to a different audience, then it's the publisher's/developer's fault, especially if the main audience doesn't actually do something to impress the pub/dev like making well-thought arguments against them--or most importantly, not spending money on something they said they don't disagree with and shoot themselves in the foot.

If the main audience is asking/demanding changes, and they are delivered, then it's the main audience's fault.

BigBoss
3rd Jul 2011, 16:31
To summarize everything said in this thread........ change can be good or bad.

Rigglethor
15th Jul 2011, 06:01
Last edited by ZanNight; 07-01-2011 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Grammer Error

You spelled grammar wrong, one can only assume that's intentional.

I would like to trust the devs with this game. Change is good if it's good change, simply put. Add as many shinies as you want but as long as it's still hitman in the end the shinies are a welcome addition.

nirvana1
15th Jul 2011, 10:29
You spelled grammar wrong, one can only assume that's intentional.

I would like to trust the devs with this game. Change is good if it's good change, simply put. Add as many shinies as you want but as long as it's still hitman in the end the shinies are a welcome addition.

but changes in 2010 conviction was horrible and ugly

Genetic Engineer
15th Jul 2011, 13:37
but changes in 2010 conviction was horrible and ugly

See now I liked convictions seemingly free-roam side to things even though you were always directed where to go.