PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Lara's new figure?

tombraidergal
30th Jun 2011, 18:00
I mean, i'm really happy they've not inflated her breasts with pixels. It's pleased me that she looks more naturally and has a more realistic look to her in the demo i've seen.
What do y'all think then?

Danielsun_
30th Jun 2011, 18:30
in the words of Akon
'Im tryin' to find the words to describe this girl without being disrespectfuuul'
yeah she is pretty darn hot, looks natural and more human win :)

d1n0_xD
30th Jun 2011, 19:26
in the words of Akon
'Im tryin' to find the words to describe this girl without being disrespectfuuul'
yeah she is pretty darn hot, looks natural and more human win :)

HAHAHAHA :thumb:

I agree, I'm very satisfied with the looks, the voice, the personality(kinda early to say, huh? :p), everything! :D

JRod108
30th Jun 2011, 19:32
I like her fine. She looks good and really gives the sense that this is a young Lara, rather than someone that's gone to this rodeo before.

Error96_
30th Jun 2011, 21:11
Having played so many hundreds of TR and collected so much merchindise I just find the new image to contradict everything that is Lara. I won't say I dislike it, no I would say more that I hate it. One of the worst screw ups in video game history and such a dilution of that iconic image. Maybe she needed to go a bit more realistic but this is so far overboard you can't even she the ship. Thank goodness the rest of the game looks so good.

tombraidergal
30th Jun 2011, 21:49
everyone is entitled to their opinions, i see what you mean, but i'm a girl and i find it's a bit annoying that all boy's think about his 'boobs' and that it was one of the reasons teenage boys obsessed over HER and not the game.
Opinions,
Everyone has them.

WinterSoldierLTE
30th Jun 2011, 22:25
I'm actually glad she got a breast reduction. I understand they've always been a distinctive trademark of hers, but let's face it: To non-TR fans TR has always been "That chick with the HUGE breasts" and nothing else. Hopefully the reduction will let some non-TR fans see past her appearance and realize there's actually some good gaming in the TR series, and maybe they'll go back and play all the other TRs. Plus her breasts have never been a focus of mine personaly, so they could be non-existent and I still wouldn't care. She's always had other more attractive features to her physical appearance, IMO.

As far as if I think she's still attractive, yeah. I'm a guy, and I'd still offer to buy her a beer if I ran into her in a bar. Wait, she's not drinking age anymore, is she? Right then. I'd offer to buy her a sandwhich if I ran into her at Subway.

............Wait, is she 18? She is, right?

Anyhoo, she looks fine to me. When the concept art was first revealed I never had a "Hang on, who's THAT?!" moment of shock or anything. Still looks like Lara to me, just younger is all.

Flintmelody
1st Jul 2011, 02:03
I hate all the stereotyping that goes on with a girl who has large breasts and what personailty she has. Lara was helping to defy that. The recent change in her figure went beyond bringing her to realistic proportions (heck look at the shape Alison Carol or Angelina Jolie). The breast:hip ratio seems out in the new model though rather than just absolute breast size (even with the 21 year old age constraint). I find it sad that people think a rescaled body proportion makes her more likeable. More a culture thing, than CD's fault.

I have got into thinking of Lara more as real person. I think of the comments I have read like Barbie doll, blow-up girl etc and think what a lack of acceptance has been shown to her. I look at the concept art and feel sympathy for her in how her body shape was forced to be changed by society's contraints. Sure everyone will be celebrating more realism, more supposed connectability but I just think what a shame remembering her as she was. Sure she wasn't politically correct but she had the body shape of Lara Croft.

Error96_
1st Jul 2011, 02:44
I have got into thinking of Lara more as real person.

That's the problem with your arguement. Lara's body is exaggerated from that of a real woman. I always like that Lara is beyond your average person and larger than life (excusing the pun). I see the problem as being a huge continuity issue that you can't get away from. I agree it is not absolute numbers that matter but more the perception of a top-heavy hourglass shape that should be there.

larastwin
1st Jul 2011, 04:48
I agree with @Error96. I've played the Tomb Raider games since the 90s. I'm not into her breasts or anything (I'm a straight woman) but I am accustomed to a certain Lara look/identity that I don't see in the new trailer. Its like that is not Lara but someone else. Even the accent sounds different. Thats not her, is all I was thinking. Thats not Lara Croft.

If they were trying to make her more realistic with breasts fine but they even changed her face/accent/eye color? They were able to make some consistency in the other games why not this one? It's like giving Duke Nukem a new scrawny body, some glasses, big ears and a german accent...(I'm exaggerating a little).

tombraidergal
1st Jul 2011, 09:02
@wintersoldier.
i agree with you. There'll be mixed views on her new change, but i love it and am so glad she doesn't look fake anymore.
@larastwin
I see what you mean, but i think, over time, we'll get used to hearing her accent and so forth. She's younger, so her voice isn't exactly going to sound like a grown up woman.
I really can't wait for the game.

IvanaKC
1st Jul 2011, 13:00
I'm actually glad she got a breast reduction. I understand they've always been a distinctive trademark of hers, but let's face it: To non-TR fans TR has always been "That chick with the HUGE breasts" and nothing else. Hopefully the reduction will let some non-TR fans see past her appearance and realize there's actually some good gaming in the TR series, and maybe they'll go back and play all the other TRs. Plus her breasts have never been a focus of mine personaly, so they could be non-existent and I still wouldn't care. She's always had other more attractive features to her physical appearance, IMO.

Breast conversation again. :lol:

I'm not actually glad Lara has smaller breasts. Why? Because she was a proof that great looking woman is smart and capable of being independent. When someone is complaining that Lara has too big boobs, I felt like someone is saying that I'm stupid because I'm blond. :)

I agree with @Error96. I've played the Tomb Raider games since the 90s. I'm not into her breasts or anything (I'm a straight woman) but I am accustomed to a certain Lara look/identity that I don't see in the new trailer. Its like that is not Lara but someone else. Even the accent sounds different. Thats not her, is all I was thinking. Thats not Lara Croft.

If they were trying to make her more realistic with breasts fine but they even changed her face/accent/eye color? They were able to make some consistency in the other games why not this one? It's like giving Duke Nukem a new scrawny body, some glasses, big ears and a german accent...(I'm exaggerating a little).

*high five* I would hate to see Duke Nukem without muscles and his weapons.

LARALOVERnr1
1st Jul 2011, 14:17
Please people. It's a reboot. And a reboot wouldn't be a reboot if they didn't change the character.

d1n0_xD
1st Jul 2011, 14:21
Please people. It's a reboot. And a reboot wouldn't be a reboot if they didn't change the character.

Exactly! A definiton of a reboot by Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reboot_(fiction)
P.S. They have Tomb Raider as an example :p

Mick2412
1st Jul 2011, 17:24
The new Lara is just too different. Even months after the release of the pics I still can't see this girl with her different figure as Lara at all. It's not about crushing on her or anything just the LC look. Sorry but it has to be thumbs down from me. Hope they change her back and would be so happy but think we would be very lucky indeed to get that. Better to live in hope than dispair.

Gitb97
2nd Jul 2011, 13:05
I think she looks stunning - she's absolutely perfect, she doesn't look plastic, and her bazooms aren't too large.

Randy 54
3rd Jul 2011, 00:01
I hate all the stereotyping that goes on with a girl who has large breasts and what personailty she has. Lara was helping to defy that. The recent change in her figure went beyond bringing her to realistic proportions (heck look at the shape Alison Carol or Angelina Jolie). The breast:hip ratio seems out in the new model though rather than just absolute breast size (even with the 21 year old age constraint). I find it sad that people think a rescaled body proportion makes her more likeable. More a culture thing, than CD's fault.

I have got into thinking of Lara more as real person. I think of the comments I have read like Barbie doll, blow-up girl etc and think what a lack of acceptance has been shown to her. I look at the concept art and feel sympathy for her in how her body shape was forced to be changed by society's contraints. Sure everyone will be celebrating more realism, more supposed connectability but I just think what a shame remembering her as she was. Sure she wasn't politically correct but she had the body shape of Lara Croft.

This post contains my exact feelings on this subject. The larger breasts
were a little exaggerated yes, but I feel that they were a part of what
made her the icon that she was.

Triangle3
4th Jul 2011, 17:46
This post contains my exact feelings on this subject. The larger breasts
were a little exaggerated yes, but I feel that they were a part of what
made her the icon that she was.

Exactly my thoughts on the matter too.

sierra xb
5th Jul 2011, 23:25
I personally like both shapes primarily because I'm more into Lara's personality, not her looks (as good as they may be). I also don't have any problems with the "smaller" look because in this new game, she IS supposed to be younger and in effect would be logical for her to be less, dare I say it, "developed" than the older and more mature version that we are used to seeing. I think that her new shape enhances the impression of a younger and much less experienced Lara.

Hoodedclaw
3rd Sep 2011, 19:02
Yes it's a reboot so they would like to make her a little different. I'll admit it, when I saw her I thought who's that?

She's in her teens though every1 looks a little different.
Id say she looks nice. :D

Christie Luv
4th Sep 2011, 01:15
They have gone in a couple directions with the new game that I wouldn't have chosen, for example, I don't think they needed a reboot, and this game seems to be more about gore and trying to survive, rather than discovering mysterious, and beautiful ancient places. I'm just getting that from the screenshots though. Maybe they have something they haven't shown in the game. Which would be great! I can't wait in either case!

Though I'm okay with her look. There wasn't anything more wrong with the way she used to look than when they make male characters all muscle, macho, and handsome looking. I think the new body figure is okay since it's more realistic, and teen girls are usually less developed anyway.

I think they could have made her more pretty, and still maintained the stranded in the jungle, and trying to survive look. I agree it is stereotyped that pretty girls, or girls with those kind of bodies can't do things like that. That's an aspect I loved about it the previous games. She was breaking those stereotypes, and many real life women do as well. Though if they are trying to break gender stereotypes that is great, but why not with guys too then in the same light? Make just a couple guys pretty in the game if we want to break gender stereotypes, and have them not be bad guys, which stupidly usually happens if a guy is a tomgirl. If they can't think of a way to fit them in this game, and probably not since they probably already have the game all planned out, and are in the middle of making it, then in other games where the scenario can fit them in. I just don't see that enough.

I also heard the game designers say they have heard nothing but good things about her new body figure, but from my experience it has been 50/50.

Driber
5th Sep 2011, 07:41
This is a topic for the TR9 forum, really.

Please continue here: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=120755

Feel free to copy&paste your post(s) from this thread into that one.

closed.