PDA

View Full Version : Hq fmv?

essex1990
27th Jun 2011, 03:39
I have been using the BINK support patch (293MB version) and the videos are low quality theres excessive blocking etc ...

I just checked the bik files are only 320 x 240 ... Is it possible to rerip off the psx disc at a higher resolution? and have those playing instead of the supplied ones?

The_Hylden
29th Jun 2011, 22:12
Doing a quick search and games on PSX ranged from 320x240 to 640x480. Then, FMV is further compressed to fit on those discs, so that's probably the native resolution, unfortunately. I might be wrong, but I can't imagine FMV back then being higher than that. I know how terrible SR1's FMV was.

Lord_Aevum
29th Jun 2011, 22:27
I can confirm that 320x240 is the highest resolution BO1 has to offer. We were looking for the highest quality versions ourselves and extracted the original frames for use on the Legacy of Kain Wiki, and 320x240 was the result. It's strange actually, because I never felt that they looked too badly stretched out ingame despite their native size.

I think the .bik fix uses IrfanView and has the images extracted at 85% of their original quality, so they are likely inferior to the originals unless you tweak the settings before launching the patch. The Blood Pill application developed by the Blood Omnicide team seems to be able to extract the cinematic stills at 100% quality, but you would need to repackage them as .biks yourself.

essex1990
30th Jun 2011, 01:01
I can confirm that 320x240 is the highest resolution BO1 has to offer. We were looking for the highest quality versions ourselves and extracted the original frames for use on the Legacy of Kain Wiki, and 320x240 was the result. It's strange actually, because I never felt that they looked too badly stretched out ingame despite their native size.

I think the .bik fix uses IrfanView and has the images extracted at 85% of their original quality, so they are likely inferior to the originals unless you tweak the settings before launching the patch. The Blood Pill application developed by the Blood Omnicide team seems to be able to extract the cinematic stills at 100% quality, but you would need to repackage them as .biks yourself.

I recorded the intro from my psx version and applied filters and that to make it look nice, and then overwrote the previous files but it still plays in the same quality as the ones provided by the patch. (Which look the same as the original PC ones just without the funny colours - ie washed out/blocky in places)

However I have viewed them outside the game using the RAD splitter and have noticed these artifacts do not really appear when playing it externally so maybe its something in the game exe?

Blood pill works at 100%? im gonna try using that then :) Thanks for the suggestion - Ugh Commandline i hate those kind of programs.

wrace0
11th Aug 2011, 14:35
There are 2 versions of the bink-support-patch:
1 - which contains patches for remaking original jam-files of BO1 into video extracted from PS1-version and converted into bink;
2 - which contains program to exctract frames from jam-files (this code contains and Blood Pill too, so it does not matter what you will use), which after converts by IrfanView to 85% jpg (you can change settings IrfanView in the appropriate folder to obtain 100% jpg) and after mixing with sound by RadTools into bik (by command-lines scripts which anyone can view and change).

Now it is impossible to find 640x480 frames for video of BO1 (320x240 - it is native resolution for any version of BO1).