PDA

View Full Version : Metal music in TR?

d1n0_xD
16th Jun 2011, 23:10
This here is my first thread ever and I want to ask you guys something :D (lots of non-fans of metal are probably going crazy when they read the title, but listen :D)

Do you think that metal music should be introduced in the new TR(or any else for that matter) ? And by that I mean, in-game, like in the demo, when Lara runs and everythings falling apart, and you hear nice metal riffs/solos in the background to get you pumped up?

Hmm, I think anyone who played Prince of Persia, especially Warrior Within, know what I'm talking about :D Here, watch this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMS0LKD0_uw"
or:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wc_3AG1hxY

These are just the Dahaka chases, and the music in the background just gets me pumped up... (anyone who wants to know, the music in the first video is I Stand Alone by Godsmack) And, the music appears in the battles, nonetheless ^^

I hope you know what I mean, so what do you guys think? I mean, you don't have to listen to metal, just, I think it's great :D

Elliot Kane
17th Jun 2011, 00:53
Hard Rock or Metal would both work well, IMO. Judas Priest would be pretty darned awesome for some of those 'chased by boulder' moments...

WinterSoldierLTE
17th Jun 2011, 01:53
I think Glenn Danzig could do some great stuff if he was given the oportunity (and if he was interested. That'd be the tricky part.) Check out his "Black Aria" albums. He's not just loud guitars and "fangs 'n devils" lyrics.

But, I'm still saying Eidos needs to call Akira Yamaoka if they haven't already. Not only is he a fantastic writer and musician with expierience in the gaming industry, the dude can write guitar solos that David Gilmour would've killed to have written, and riffs that are heavy AND hooky enough that Dave Mustaine would weep in jealousy.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqVRYsTT7bY

LC is Me
17th Jun 2011, 02:20
As long as they got decent artists and the sound wasn't too much, I would be up to it. All for metal.

QiX
17th Jun 2011, 02:52
I'd rather hear the ambient sounds than having music to build a dramatic sequence. I want the island to sound eerie and creepy by itself, adding guitar riffs over it wouldn't let us feel the place, and would sound dull and repetitive after a few action scenes.

Driber
17th Jun 2011, 09:18
With respect to people who like metal, definitely not.

If anything, it would take away the atmosphere for me.

For those tensed "quick action" moments where the music should boost your adrenaline level, I believe the dramatic orchestrated music works best in TR!

DET1nnrPBWI

a_big_house
17th Jun 2011, 10:07
I think all types of music should be played throughout, the metal for example could come in handy when faced with a collapsing cave (like in the beginning), the dramatic should definitely be used during open battles and even creepy tense music for when Lara is wading through a swamp and there's movement in the trees above and around her... even some dance music for when Lara find her iPhone and sits down to chill :)

WinterSoldierLTE
17th Jun 2011, 10:24

For those tensed "quick action" moments where the music should boost your adrenaline level, I believe the dramatic orchestrated music works best in TR!

Yeah I'll agree to that. Akira and Danzig also do orchestral music, which is why I threw their names out there. Should've mentioned that in my first post I reckon. My bad.

Abdullah10
17th Jun 2011, 13:11

agree:thumb:

dark7angel
17th Jun 2011, 13:30

I agree!!! I really think metal would sound out of place!!! Orchestrated music fits best with a game like TR! It creates more atmosphere!

LC is Me
17th Jun 2011, 15:49
I would advise people to look up different types of metal.
There are softer, symphonic sounds of metal out there that I think could work.

But then again, I doubt most of you would try listening to it anyway, as pop oriented this forum is.

dark7angel
17th Jun 2011, 16:22

But then again, I doubt most of you would try listening to it anyway, as pop oriented this forum is.

That's quite a generalisation, as I listen to metal and Classic Rock the most and not so much pop music! But as much as I like Rock/Metal (even symphonic metal) I do believe that a game like TR fits better with orchestrated music!

It's like me saying "Hey, Rhapsody of Fire has some songs that would be cool in a LotR/The Hobbit scene/movie (wich is true 'cause they were inspired by Tolkien)" but I know that it wouldn't feel right and wouldn't create the same atmosphere that Howard Shore's music gave to the Trilogy!

d1n0_xD
17th Jun 2011, 16:34

Seconded... I see there are different opinions here ^^ I still think metal would be a good idea, I didn't say that there shouldn't be orchestral music, but a good mix of the two would be great ^^ I mean, in that battle in Anniversary (someone posted a video), yeah, orchestral music fits fine, but, there could be metal in, I don't know, QTEs or those boulders or maybe even SOME battles, you know, it depends ^^ But, I'm glad we can discuss about this :D

LC is Me
17th Jun 2011, 16:52
That's quite a generalisation, as I listen to metal and Classic Rock the most and not so much pop music! But as much as I like Rock/Metal (even symphonic metal) I do believe that a game like TR fits better with orchestrated music!

It's like me saying "Hey, Rhapsody of Fire has some songs that would be cool in a LotR/The Hobbit scene/movie (wich is true 'cause they were inspired by Tolkien)" but I know that it wouldn't feel right and wouldn't create the same atmosphere that Howard Shore's music gave to the Trilogy!Ok, you may not listen to mostly pop music.
But a good portion of the forums listens to a lot of pop.
That is not a generalization at all.

Like I said, people need to do their research. Metal gets a bad rap because people think it's all the same when it isn't.

Error96_
17th Jun 2011, 19:39
I love metal music and think it works brilliantly in many video games but I don't think it fits TR. The music of Tomb Raider is all about the orchestral. Something with a lot of base and terror could be used for the imminent danger themes though.

TR games have some of the best soundtracks of any video games (especially those done Nathan Mcree). The music was used so well to build up emotion or atmosphere such as rellef, beauty, mysterous, tension or panic. TRU so badly broke that trend. I think TR needs to use more panic scores again and atmosphere generating tunes. I do think that metal may be a bit too much to go with the classical music tunes.

Driber
17th Jun 2011, 22:05
Ok, you may not listen to mostly pop music.

Of course a lot of people listen to pop, it's called populair music for a reason.

The problem is not your claim of pop music being popular amongst the members here, as that is a fair enough claim, but your generalization of people who like pop music not being open to other kinds of music like metal.

Like I said, people need to do their research. Metal gets a bad rap because people think it's all the same when it isn't.

I don't need to do anything. The OP posted 2 examples of what he would like to hear in TR9. I watched those videos and posted my opinion on it. It's not my duty to do extensive research before replying to someone's examples.

If you don't like metal getting a bad rap, then do something constructive, like showing us more examples, instead of criticizing people for posting their opinions.

IvanaKC
17th Jun 2011, 23:05
Oh my, dino, you're reading my mind. I would be thrilled if I would hear some music full of adrenaline that is...I don't know, rough? That's actually why I like Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (all of you who played it remember the music when Prince was fighting).

QiX
18th Jun 2011, 02:50
Ok, you may not listen to mostly pop music.

If I tell you that Country Music has more variety than Metal would you buy yourself a pair of boots and a cowboy hat right away? I wouldn't. I know at least a dozen types of Metal and I still don't like any of them. There's more diversity in Pop Music than in Metal, by the way. If you did your research would you be listening to Lady Gaga? I guess you missed the point of what makes someone to like one kind of music or not.

Oh my, dino, you're reading my mind. I would be thrilled if I would hear some music full of adrenaline that is...I don't know, rough? That's actually why I like Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (all of you who played it remember the music when Prince was fighting).

I remember starting to play PoP:WW and getting bored of it about the 4th or 5th level and never playing it again. Now that you guys mention, could it be the soundtrack to blame?

LC is Me
18th Jun 2011, 05:49
Of course a lot of people listen to pop, it's called populair music for a reason.

The problem is not your claim of pop music being popular amongst the members here, as that is a fair enough claim, but your generalization of people who like pop music not being open to other kinds of music like metal.

I don't need to do anything. The OP posted 2 examples of what he would like to hear in TR9. I watched those videos and posted my opinion on it. It's not my duty to do extensive research before replying to someone's examples.

If you don't like metal getting a bad rap, then do something constructive, like showing us more examples, instead of criticizing people for posting their opinions.
When did I ever say or deny that people listened to other genres? Because I don't recall ever saying or implying that. If YOU took it that way, that's on you.
Whenever we get on discussions of music or musical topics, I hardly ever find people move that far down the spectrum. They might listen to some rock and some pop, but I rarely see any metal, maybe some rap (aside from Eminem and the occasional Nicki Minaj). There may be a sprinkle of country here or there. That is my point. If you listen to something more than that, fine. But what I said still wasn't a generalization, nor was it meant to be taken as a critical comment. It also isn't any reason to get so uptight.

It doesn't take extensive research to google something or even read a Wiki page. Not even read. You could skim it. I shouldn't have to provide that for you. I understand the not posting examples part, but as far as having to do extensive research, just, no. That isn't hard in the slightest.

@QiX If someone told me that a particular genre of music that I didn't normally listen to might be suited to TR and they made it known that this genre wasn't as typical as it seemed, believe it or not, I would more than likely look more into the genre. This isn't about forcing yourself into a genre just because. I listen to a variety of different styles of music, and I do include pop in this.

QiX
18th Jun 2011, 06:02
Hey, I'm simply saying I don't like the whole idea. And I do know Metal, I "did the research" so to speak, I just don't think it fits the game.

Driber
18th Jun 2011, 07:33
LC is Me, I wrote to you in a polite manner. Keep the personal remarks out of it, please.

When did I ever say or deny that people listened to other genres? Because I don't recall ever saying or implying that. If YOU took it that way, that's on you.

You were generalizing that people who like pop are probably not interested in metal:

But then again, I doubt most of you would try listening to [different kinds of metal] anyway, as pop oriented this forum is.

That is a prejudice statement.

But if you misspoke and meant something else, then we can move on :)

d1n0_xD
18th Jun 2011, 08:51
Ok, now, considering the game, I still think that, if done right, it would be awesome. Heck, I didn't even know what metal is when I played PoP (I was just starting to listen Metallica, and I thought I will never listen more than that XD), but I liked the music and I googled the song :D Anyways, don't argue about tastes, but I know what LC is Me meant, most people when they even hear metal, Satan and cults come to their mind XD and people think metal is all about screaming and growling when it's not (I'm not saying that there are some people like that in here, because most of you came clear that you like metal but wouldn't fit in TR) All I'm saying, again, maybe if done right, it doesn't have to be a dominant music in the game, we all know that orchestral music takes the win, but IMO metal every now and them would juice up things for me ^^

LC is Me
18th Jun 2011, 14:42
LC is Me, I wrote to you in a polite manner. Keep the personal remarks out of it, please.

You were generalizing that people who like pop are probably not interested in metal:

That is a prejudice statement.

But if you misspoke and meant something else, then we can move on :)
So regardless of any talks about musical tastes we have had on this forum, I'm being prejudice. Ok, fine. Whatever. I'm obviously not going to get my point across any further because I'm "missing the point", when I'm really not.

At least Dino roughly knew what I meant. So it really doesn't matter at this point. You're right, I'm wrong.

RosePetals
20th Jun 2011, 15:26
Metal music in the OST actually sounds nice. Maybe one or two tracks. But in-game? Definitely, NO.

Have you guys heard this? It's pretty neat. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf1f89mMQXo&feature=feedlik_more

WinterSoldierLTE
20th Jun 2011, 22:22
Actually on reflection TR's already had a bit of metal in it. The bike ride bit in Kazakhstan, and again when the goons are coming out of the helicopter in Nepal in "Legend".

d1n0_xD
20th Jun 2011, 22:38
Actually on reflection TR's already had a bit of metal in it. The bike ride bit in Kazakhstan, and again when the goons are coming out of the helicopter in Nepal in "Legend".

Yeah, now that you mention it :D Hell, I found it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U_eSlGPBWg

Well, folks, this isn't so bad, I mean, like you said, a little bit ^^ Once again I'm saying, it can be good if done right, and put it where it fits ^^ No need for dominance

WinterSoldierLTE
20th Jun 2011, 23:57
@ d1n0 Yeah that's the one! I love the Staic-X meets Paul Schaeffer-ness of it. Hmm... Must find my "Legend" soundtrack to put on my MP3 player now...

I do think that's the only metal would work in a TR. Used scarcely like that.

Driber
21st Jun 2011, 08:04
Yeah, now that you mention it :D Hell, I found it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U_eSlGPBWg

Just because it was in a previous TR game doesn't automatically make it fit.

I didn't like that track in Legend. It didn't fit the game IMO and distracted me from the gameplay :whistle:

dark7angel
21st Jun 2011, 08:15

I didn't like that track in Legend. It didn't fit the game IMO and distracted me from the gameplay :whistle:

I second this!!!

QiX
21st Jun 2011, 10:51

And I third this!!! :scratch:

VOLCOM20lovesLARA
27th Jul 2011, 20:34

DET1nnrPBWI

very, very good point. the orchestrated music always gets
my heart racing for some reason. although the metal music is a nice thought.

GoggleboxUK
22nd Aug 2011, 22:12
I think the soundtrack is very important to a game and Rock/Metal has as much emphasis in creating mood as the ambient sounds we assocaite with the game already.

It worked for the movies, U2 rocked it up with Elevation, one of their better recent tracks in my opinion, and Korn's offering fitted the bill perfectly.

The only concern I'd have is that music can date a game almost aas much as the graphics do. Would we all enjoy current metal tracks as much in 20 years time when replaying the game? I doubt it.

Now, if we were to have a few tracks that are already considered classic rock....

Highway to Hell, Back in Black, When the Levee Breaks..... works for me.

:D

d1n0_xD
22nd Aug 2011, 22:37
^ I love you :D

Elliot Kane
22nd Aug 2011, 23:37
Can't go wrong with AC/DC, that's for sure! :)