PDA

View Full Version : Have your feelings about TR being M Rated changed after E3?

AdobeArtist
16th Jun 2011, 21:27
When this question was first asked, there was a poll created before we had anything concrete about the upcoming game. All our debate on whether the M rating would be beneficial or detrimental to the series was based on subjective speculation. Much of that speculation was also fearful; everything from excessive gore on the scale of God of War, to Lara swearing like a sailor, to the ever dreaded nudity and sex.

But finally at E3 we saw some first hand footage, actual live game play. At last we have a sense of the direction, atmosphere and tone that the M rating is bringing to the series. So I thought it was time for a new poll to see what the consensus is. And especially among those who voiced protest early on that the M rating would “ruin” Lara, do you still feel the same after what we’ve just seen? Or are you now a believer? :)

d1n0_xD
16th Jun 2011, 22:36
I voted that I knew M rating would be good for TR :D I remember those arguments about nudity and swearing, and I always thought they're stupid... And now, we see what M rating was all about, I mean, I nearly choked myself to death when that spike ran through Lara XD Just kidding, but, I mean, there's nothing wrong with it, just a lot more realistic, and that is why, in my opinion, M rating stood and stands for ^^ Hope you know what i mean XD

Edit: I see 5 votes for this one, and none for the others yet ^^

LC is Me
16th Jun 2011, 22:46
I voted that I knew M rating would be good for TR :D I remember those arguments about nudity and swearing, and I always thought they're stupid... And now, we see what M rating was all about, I mean, I nearly choked myself to death when that spike ran through Lara XD Just kidding, but, I mean, there's nothing wrong with it, just a lot more realistic, and that is why, in my opinion, M rating stood and stands for ^^ Hope you know what i mean XD

Edit: I see 5 votes for this one, and none for the others yet ^^

This sums it up for me as well.

Gemma_Darkmoon_
17th Jun 2011, 00:04
I think that the fade to black death and lack of violence were really making our series seem too kiddy compared to its rivals. The original TR game themeselves had bone crushing falls and blood splatering spike walls. We really needed a greater level of violence back in the series so I was and still am glad of the M rating.

Elliot Kane
17th Jun 2011, 00:49
I've gone for 'I knew all along it would be great', but 'great' is a bit over-enthusiastic. I certainly saw no problem with it as long as the rating wasn't used for gratuitous nudity or the like. That's still true :)

WinterSoldierLTE
17th Jun 2011, 02:03
Well, I've always said "a little blood and a bit of swearing never hurt anyone". Unless you're the one bleeding, that is. Might hurt then, depending.

But to be honest, let's be honest: Most of the TR audience have grown up and are well capable of handling cursing and blood. Yeah, there's always the worry that kids are gonna see it, but come on, they can just watch the news or read a paper and get much more frightening visuals then anything a game can show. It's all in how you present it to them. You've gotta let them know: "Look, this is fake. It's just pretend." and really hammer that in and drive it home. But that's my perspective, and everyone raises their children different.

And for those who think it's unfair to those who are underage, I'll just say this: As a parent, it is my expierience that if a kid wants it bad enough, they'll get it no matter what preventative steps are taken. They always find a loophole.

QiX
17th Jun 2011, 03:17
The M rating doesn't guarantee a good game, in most cases games get M rated simply for being gross. On the other hand a T rated game is childish and washed off pretty much always. Getting for the M could change the series for better or worse, but I had confidence that CD would want to make a better and more dense game. What we saw on E3 simply confirmed my expectations.

Edit: LMAO at the last option. Troll magnet much :D

Driber
17th Jun 2011, 09:29
So far everyone voted for "I knew all along". I really find that hard to believe :D

Are all those members who prematurely complained about the M rating not daring to cast their vote? :p

I voted the second option. I was slightly worried after the script leak why the writers would intentionally want to make Lara use profanities, but am happy about the Mature rating now :)

a_big_house
17th Jun 2011, 09:56
I chose the second option just purely based on the concepts that were originally leaked, those things were just creepy, thralls look like furbys up against them... but yeah i do like the darkness of this game

Elliot Kane
17th Jun 2011, 10:32
Stated MY opinion in the original thread. Anyone who cares to check can see my opinion is unchanged :)

AdobeArtist
17th Jun 2011, 13:09
So far everyone voted for "I knew all along". I really find that hard to believe :D

Are all those members who prematurely complained about the M rating not daring to cast their vote? :p

That's what I'M thinking too. I know I saw complaints before about the M rating. :scratch: Can you use your mod powers to ferret out the flip-floppers? :naughty:

LC is Me
17th Jun 2011, 15:50
That's what I'M thinking too. I know I saw complaints before about the M rating. :scratch: Can you use your mod powers to ferret out the flip-floppers? :naughty:

That whole topic in Tomb Raider General had pages of complaints lol.

Ants_27_
17th Jun 2011, 18:56
Well, I've always said "a little blood and a bit of swearing never hurt anyone".

In terms of swearing ff I'm honest my opinion on swearing has changed dramatically after listening to Stephen Fry point out.

To me (after watching) I don't see why swearing shouldn't be allowed. Why?

We use far worse word than the 'F' word. People stand there and say "It's torture waiting around". That is an extremely horrible thing to happen and yet we all say it. Shouldn't that word be banned along with 'Hell' and 'raped'.;)

Thought I'd put my new view on swearing (though I've never had a problem hearing it anyway).

Leading on, nope my opinion hasn't changed a bit.:D

Danielsun_
17th Jun 2011, 19:36
Im in favour of the M rating allows the developers to do more, i like the last option about Uncharted haha
Im with Ants on the swearing a bit of swearing isnt bad, everyone swears, i dont know anyone who hasnt sworn, i dont think adding the F bomb will be welcome but the odd S word or something hear and there in extreme situations seems more human to me

Angy1996
17th Jun 2011, 22:06
Well, I've always said ... They always find a loophole.

I totaly agree with this...all of it!

IvanaKC
17th Jun 2011, 22:56
I agree that TR needs M rating, but now I'm not so sure because the game turned out to be different than I expected (I really wanted TR to have real blood when Lara is shooting, but now there is no guns..).

Oh well, I need some time to get used to that and I just hope there won't be a lot of animals to kill because I always pitty them (like in TRA).

And about swearing, I think that would be great because I bet Lara wanted to say the F word when she was taking that spike out of her body. Wouldn't you? :D

d1n0_xD
17th Jun 2011, 23:02
I agree that TR needs M rating, but now I'm not so sure because the game turned out to be different than I expected (I really wanted TR to have real blood when Lara is shooting, but now there is no guns..).

Oh well, I need some time to get used to that and I just hope there won't be a lot of animals to kill because I always pitty them (like in TRA).

And about swearing, I think that would be great because I bet Lara wanted to say the F word when she was taking that spike out of her body. Wouldn't you? :D

I read an article yesterday, the combat should be introduces to us very soon, so we'll see :D Not only bullets produce blood XD

Oooh, now that you mention it, that word would IMO be a perfect fit in that situation haha XD

IvanaKC
17th Jun 2011, 23:14
I read an article yesterday, the combat should be introduces to us very soon, so we'll see :D Not only bullets produce blood XD

Oooh, now that you mention it, that word would IMO be a perfect fit in that situation haha XD

Lara should be swearing when spiky things cut her, right? F word is always welcome in these situations :lol: After all she is very young, and that would be OK with me.

When they mentioned M rating, I immediately thought of bullets, that's why I said that.

AdobeArtist
17th Jun 2011, 23:45

What I always said before about language as applied in the M rating, is that it isn't just about what Lara says. She's not the only person in the games, and she often deals with a lot of unsavory types.

This is especially the case with mercenaries. They're defined by their total freedom life style, and how they are uncontrained by societies standards. So they pretty much say what ever they damn well want to, and don't care about approval in doing so.

Then when you consider the situations of being engaged with Lara in a firefight, in the heat of the battle you don't think they would be yelling loads of explitives, and hurling stinging insults (very crass name calling) at the woman who's shooting back at them, from their point of view a source of grief?

The world that's created should be representitive of all the characters who populate it, not just the leading star. A general rule of any game.

BlackThor
17th Jun 2011, 23:52
Personally I was unsure because I didn't know what the M rating meant. I was just scared from that leaked concept art that TR would be turned into a cheesy, gory, survivor/horror game. and I just did not want that at all. But E3 really cleared up that fear and now i'm all gun ho for this change.

d1n0_xD
18th Jun 2011, 00:12
What I always said before about language as applied in the M rating, is that it isn't just about what Lara says. She's not the only person in the games, and she often deals with a lot of unsavory types.

This is especially the case with mercenaries. They're defined by their total freedom life style, and how they are uncontrained by societies standards. So they pretty much say what ever they damn well want to, and don't care about approval in doing so.

Then when you consider the situations of being engaged with Lara in a firefight, in the heat of the battle you don't think they would be yelling loads of explitives, and hurling stinging insults (very crass name calling) at the woman who's shooting back at them, from their point of view a source of grief?

The world that's created should be representitive of all the characters who populate it, not just the leading star. A general rule of any game.

Well, that clarified things :thumb:

IvanaKC
18th Jun 2011, 12:10

That was just an example!

And yes, Lara is not the only character, I know, and I didn't mean to say the game should be full of swearing. You explained everything.

AdobeArtist
18th Jun 2011, 15:03
That was just an example!

And yes, Lara is not the only character, I know, and I didn't mean to say the game should be full of swearing. You explained everything.

I know that was just one hypothetical example, nor was I inferring that you implied a necessity for swearing. I was just taking that example and expanding on it, in a more general sense of design themes.

The_Hylden
19th Jun 2011, 01:10
I hope she's not using f bombs. Swearing doesn't mean that word in particular, but in this day and age, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

The M rating, in general, is fine, depending on the amount and how it's used. Yes, things are going to be grim on an island like this, so making things grim is fine. Too much is too much. Lara need not be swearing up a storm to get the point across that she has an owie. So, yeah, I guess I will hope it's not too extreme and leave the F bombs out. My personal opinion.

JRod108
30th Jun 2011, 08:03
Eh, I was always pretty confident about the M-rating. I wasn't really worried about swearing. She's on a deserted island... and any swearing she or anyone else will be doing is probably going to be realistic. I don't anticipate mercenaries randomly showing up and dropping f-bombs now or then. Maybe next game. ;) The sex (deserted...) well, there is that guy, but eh, I still don't see that as an issue. I can't really say why, but I just don't see it happening. I haven't looked for pics of him yet, but he did look kind of old now that I think about it. Maybe it was the lighting, but.... :lol:

I was of the stance that a game can have gore in it, yet still be tasteful. No buckets full of blood being poured all over Lara and the demo seemed to prove this nicely. Lara's abdomen impalement and Creepy Dude's head crushing was... nice in a way. All in all, this is shaping up to be what I predicted. A more adult TR. ;)

d1n0_xD
30th Jun 2011, 08:14
I watched some trailers for the Alice: Madness Returns and that game is also rated M. And the way I see it, it's just because of lots of (COOOOOL) blood :D So, to me, M is just for realism haha :D