PDA

View Full Version : DLC... anyone?

PS3 Deb H
13th Jun 2011, 22:59
Member Lyle Croft mentioned something about DLCs in his thread (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=118133).

Do you think DLCs for the new Tomb Raider would be a good idea? (Personally, I think it would be)? And what is your idea of a a DLC in the new game?

In my DLC idea, I see myself as the main character, and Lara as a NPC follower!

I want to thank Lyle for giving me the idea for this thread.

Deb

d1n0_xD
13th Jun 2011, 23:06
Naaah, DLC is just a way to gain more money, a singe whole game will be just fine :D

Gemma_Darkmoon_
13th Jun 2011, 23:36
I think that if there are DLC will probably end up being a console specific. Every fan should have the chance to enjoy the full experience so I don't want any X-box only DLC which prevents other fans from getting that.

Elliot Kane
14th Jun 2011, 00:17
Only if they follow the same rules as CD Projekt RED: All DLC is totally free to all customers.

WinterSoldierLTE
14th Jun 2011, 00:25
I'm going with "Maybe". If it's not limited to one console, bring it on. And if it's free, absolutely bring it on. In all honesty tho, I'm one of those "Well if it's extra content then why isn't it on the main game disc as special features?" people. So yeah. I'll say "Maybe".

QiX
14th Jun 2011, 04:48
I don't really like to return to this topic but, oh well...

1. Make it available for all the consoles and PC. And for PC it's about time Eidos release the game ported to Mac and Linux, not only Windows. Yes, exclusive content sucks.

2. Make the DLC as actual expansions of the game experience, not a continuation of it. Don't EVER revive the dead boss from the main game to be killed for good in a DLC pack.

If 1. and 2. are checked I'd happily buy every little DLC available, be it extra missions, in game equipment, icons, wallpapers, themes, you name it. If not I'll be seriously considering not to buy even the game itself, not even grabbing the demo.

PS3 Deb H
14th Jun 2011, 13:24
I think that if there are DLC will probably end up being a console specific. Every fan should have the chance to enjoy the full experience so I don't want any X-box only DLC which prevents other fans from getting that.

You're sooo right about that! :thumb: When everyone have paid fair and square for a game, DLCs should come out on every console and PCs.

It really s*cks when a player buys a game, only to find out later that DLCs, designed to enrich the game, is exclusive to only one console!!! I have a PS3 and I had to wait a full year before any DLCs from the game Fallout 3 become available to PS3 owners. They were originally XBox exclusive !!!

I don't really like to return to this topic but, oh well…

I searched the forum for this topic: "DLC" and found none (as a thread or poll I mean). I hope I didn't step one someone else's topic by error! If this is the case, I apologize. And I agree with you that Eidos makes the game for Mac and Linux as well.

Deb

LC is Me
14th Jun 2011, 15:02
I don't really like to return to this topic but, oh well...

1. Make it available for all the consoles and PC. And for PC it's about time Eidos release the game ported to Mac and Linux, not only Windows. Yes, exclusive content sucks.

Macs aren't very good gaming PC.
You'll find some stuff made for Mac, but that's probably why Eidos hasn't made anything for Mac lately.

andrew90
14th Jun 2011, 15:13
DLC are annoying, take for example TR lara'a shadow and TR beneath the ashes, were on Xbox360 exclusive and I don't own one so...NO.

LARALOVERnr1
14th Jun 2011, 15:23
May I ask why we're talking about DLC when the game itself is still 1.5 years away?

Anyway, I voted maybe. If we'll still be able to explore the island further when the main story line has ended; Yes

If she escapes the island at the end of the main storyline; No.

So I think that'll be a no for me. I hate most DLC's anyway, especially when they are released 1 month after the game itself. That just makes me feel like the developers say to me: ''Here you have 3/4th of the game. If you wanna have the last part, you're gonna have to give us more MONEYMONEYMONEY!!!!!''

QiX
14th Jun 2011, 17:06
I searched the forum for this topic: "DLC" and found none (as a thread or poll I mean). I hope I didn't step one someone else's topic by error! If this is the case, I apologize. And I agree with you that Eidos makes the game for Mac and Linux as well.

No worries. We had a lot of threads complaining about DLC by the time of the release of Underworld. Later those many threads were merged into a single one(http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=86281)

Macs aren't very good gaming PC.
You'll find some stuff made for Mac, but that's probably why Eidos hasn't made anything for Mac lately.

Actually Linux wouldn't probably be a good platform to port high-end graphic games like TR. Although I worked with Linux for a while I always had the latest Windows at home for gaming. No open source 3D driver library can compete with DirectX yet, unfortunately. It would be fair in theory, but they'd have to wash off most of the visual FX. In the end a Linux or Mac version would be the same as porting to PS2, Wii etc. We know that's not going to happen.

angelus0901
14th Jun 2011, 18:48
I voted maybe. If the DLCs are gonna be like Beneath the Ashes and Lara's Shadow, then definitely yes, but if they're gonna be like those from GoL, then a huge NO!!!

WinterSoldierLTE
14th Jun 2011, 22:06
Ah, come on, QiX. Why you gotta crush my hopes of it being available on PS2 like that? :( Yeah, I know I know: 'Cos it'd be utter crap because a PS2 just couldn't handle it. All honesty tho, if it turned out anything like the PS2 version of "Underworld", PS2 is better off without.

QiX
14th Jun 2011, 23:11
Yes, we came to a point when porting for PS2, Wii is actually making a different game based on the top consoles version, like a remake to release at the same time. But you're right. Come one Eidos, give us games ported to more consoles! we know you can do it! :D

LC is Me
15th Jun 2011, 00:50
No worries. We had a lot of threads complaining about DLC by the time of the release of Underworld. Later those many threads were merged into a single one(http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=86281)

Actually Linux wouldn't probably be a good platform to port high-end graphic games like TR. Although I worked with Linux for a while I always had the latest Windows at home for gaming. No open source 3D driver library can compete with DirectX yet, unfortunately. It would be fair in theory, but they'd have to wash off most of the visual FX. In the end a Linux or Mac version would be the same as porting to PS2, Wii etc. We know that's not going to happen.
Pretty much.
That's probably the only reason I haven't gotten a Mac. I am not willing to give up The Sims much less any other games I have for the sake of getting one.

Jerion
15th Jun 2011, 07:22
DLC...Personally, expansion-style content is fine with me as it lends more life to a game after I'm done with it. I probably doubled my time playing Borderlands just with the DLC!

Pretty much.
That's probably the only reason I haven't gotten a Mac. I am not willing to give up The Sims much less any other games I have for the sake of getting one.

A few years ago that notion wouldn't have been all that far off the mark.

Bootcamp and the virtualization tools like Parallels and Fusion make the "no games" argument irrelevant. Set up Windows for dual booting (like I do) and you've got the best of both worlds on one machine. Apple's OS X graphics drivers have historically been junk for gaming, but they've been making good strides towards getting more competitive in both drivers and GPU hardware since Steam was brought over to OS X. Plus, thanks to Steam, there's an ever growing number of native games.

LARALOVERnr1
15th Jun 2011, 10:50
DLC...Personally, expansion-style content is fine with me as it lends more life to a game after I'm done with it. I probably doubled my time playing Borderlands just with the DLC!
I probably spend 300 hours more on Resident Evil 5 because of VS DLC! :lol:

OK, Dlc's aren't all evil

LC is Me
16th Jun 2011, 00:45

A few years ago that notion wouldn't have been all that far off the mark.

Bootcamp and the virtualization tools like Parallels and Fusion make the "no games" argument irrelevant. Set up Windows for dual booting (like I do) and you've got the best of both worlds on one machine. Apple's OS X graphics drivers have historically been junk for gaming, but they've been making good strides towards getting more competitive in both drivers and GPU hardware since Steam was brought over to OS X. Plus, thanks to Steam, there's an ever growing number of native games.
Right, now all I need is $900.
Seems easy enough.

IvanaKC
16th Jun 2011, 11:06
I voted no because, since it's tomb raider, it would be again for xbox360 only. That pisses me off every time. :mad2:

Error96_
16th Jun 2011, 20:15
I will go no as it seems that the companies involved just use DLC to punish those who play on PC or PS3 and reward those who play on XBox360. If it was a DLC pack containing new levels, outfits and weapons for ALL console then yes. If it's an exclusive then a very strong NO from me.

Ants_27_
16th Jun 2011, 21:15
Providing it's available across the board, yes.

But DLC; providing it doesn't conclude the game (requiring you to buy extra to complete the main game) is a great way to portray situations that you couldn't put in the main game. For example: due to pacing.

Also, as long as they don't just generate crap that will be added as DLC. I'm a great believer in doing things because they need to be done: "I need to tell this story in 1000 words" opposed to: "I want to tell this story in 100,000 words".

If My example makes sense that is. :lol:

Cheeky_Charlie
17th Jun 2011, 07:55
If it is for all platforms and really expands the Island world, then yes (like fallout3 add-ons)

a_big_house
17th Jun 2011, 10:00
Croft Manor DLC for everyone!!!

Belboz
17th Jun 2011, 16:47
I voted no cos am on a pc and pc's dont get dlc anyway, microshaft and sony always make sure its for their consoles and there's no one to make sure that pc's also get it.

QiX
18th Jun 2011, 02:36
I voted no cos am on a pc and pc's dont get dlc anyway, microshaft and sony always make sure its for their consoles and there's no one to make sure that pc's also get it.

Not quite it. I'm a PC gamer since ever and I bought DLC for all my favourite games during the last years. Fallout 3 and New Vegas, Mass Effect 1 and 2, I have pretty much everything released for them so far, except for one mission pack for ME1 and a couple equipment packs for ME2. PCs dont get DLC specifically if the companies involved choose not to release any. BTW it's still a mystery to me why Microsoft wanted TR:U DLC released for the 360 but not for Windows based PC. Probably to stimulate the sales of their console, but on the other hand a good ammount of their OS costumers now hate them a little bit more, me included.

Andy64
19th Jun 2011, 02:08
No unless they can promise it will be available on PS3 and PC too with same release date on all

VOLCOM20lovesLARA
19th Jun 2011, 02:21
nope, i think the TOMB RAIDER will be amazing even without DLC included :)

RosePetals
20th Jun 2011, 14:26
I voted maybe, because most DLCs are console specific. Like the ones in TRU. I only have a PS3 and PC. I'm not getting an Xbox just 'cause of a DLC.

If they decide to make one though, I hope it'd be available for download to all consoles. :)

PS3 Deb H
20th Jun 2011, 16:21
Hi all!

First, thank you for participating. Keep doing it!

Someone asked why talk about DLCs so soon. After all, this game is set to come out only september 2012. I think the votes and the comments speak for themselves: It is clear that many of you voted either "Maybe" or "No thanks" because of exclusivity. Many of you would probably like DLCs, but only if it is made available to all platform and not exclusive, say, to XBox.

Don't hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong.

And keep on voting. Whatever the message is gonna be, I want it to be a strong one! The sooner SE and CD know about it, the better (and I'll keep my fingers crossed).

Thanks again :)

Deb

Mick2412
21st Jun 2011, 18:07
It is clear that many of you voted either "Maybe" or "No thanks" because of exclusivity. Many of you would probably like DLCs, but only if it is made available to all platform and not exclusive, say, to XBox.

I am voting that way too. I have PS3 rather than Xbox360 but don't want to miss out on the games extras. Is almost beter to have no DLC than one that taunts you by the fact you can't play it.

PS3 Deb H
23rd Jun 2011, 20:39
Is almost beter to have no DLC than one that taunts you by the fact you can't play it.

Agreed! :)

Deb

Charlie.T.Raider
24th Jun 2011, 00:05
Don't like what happened with TRU's DLCs so I have to choose no.

TRULover2389
19th Jul 2011, 22:45
I personally love DLC, because yes it may be a way for eidos to gain mroe money, but it lets me go back to the game after I beat it months ago

a good example of this is with the mass effect games, I beat it when ME2 came out in january 2010, but I still wound up playing it until march 2011 because of the 4 dlc packs that came out...and athough a few dlc packs were not needed, there were two that GREATLY impacted the overall story of mass effect and continued the story to get ready for the sequel....I think the new tomb raider should do just that, and get you more excited.....not just charge u money to get stupid stuff....

now I agree it shouldn't be new weapons or outfits, it should be new levels or locations....new parts of the story, like deleted levels or something....

the sad thing is at this point in time dlc for every game company isn't organized well, they should have u at purchase say if u want it or not, and charge u at the most 10 dollars more for the dlc when it releases in the coming year(s) or so....

Lsigmadelta
8th Sep 2011, 16:19
I really want them to stop cheating those who havn't got a 360 out of getting the best most complete version of the game. DLC's for everyone.

The Phoenix
8th Sep 2011, 16:48
Well, I'd quite like some DLC, preferably new levels or weapons and whatnot. However, we all know that if there is any kind of DLC it will either be 360 exclusive or at the very least cheaper/earlier for it. That's kinda what kills it for me :\. Quite frankly, I never understood why companies like Microsoft pay for exclusive DLC. Yes, there is a possibility that it will boost console sales, but I'm certainly not going to buy an X-Box just to play an hour-long DLC level or two.

Elliot Kane
8th Sep 2011, 19:03
Well, I'd quite like some DLC, preferably new levels or weapons and whatnot. However, we all know that if there is any kind of DLC it will either be 360 exclusive or at the very least cheaper/earlier for it. That's kinda what kills it for me :\. Quite frankly, I never understood why companies like Microsoft pay for exclusive DLC. Yes, there is a possibility that it will boost console sales, but I'm certainly not going to buy an X-Box just to play an hour-long DLC level or two.

They figure if they do it enough, people deciding on which shiny new console to get will pick theirs.

Of course, most gamers are more likely to think: "Bastards! Never buying an X-Box now!" :D

But when have MicroSoft ever understood gamers, anyway?

WinterSoldierLTE
8th Sep 2011, 21:59
They figure if they do it enough, people deciding on which shiny new console to get will pick theirs.

Of course, most gamers are more likely to think: "Bastards! Never buying an X-Box now!" :D

But when have MicroSoft ever understood gamers, anyway?

:thumb:

MaxRaider
9th Sep 2011, 05:48
I voted yes.. but only yes if its availale to everyone!!! And not say its going to be available to everyone and then not release the last DLC on XBOX for some reason..... (Guardian of Light)

aussie500
9th Sep 2011, 10:50
I expect all my console games these days to come with DLC, I do not always buy it unless it is a game I really liked, but I expect it to be offered. Free stuff would be nice, but they make it enticing enough I am quite willing to buy it.

aragorn2
9th Sep 2011, 15:35
Why would anyone wants dlcs?
We are paying full price a game to have it "full". I do not want to cut pieces from a game just like tomb raider underworld (Beneath the ashes anyone?) and then sell it to me separately. I do not want companies to think me as a stupid customer. The DLCs of the next TR i will not buy them, because i would allready have bought a collectors edition. If they want more money, they can have them from another one, not me!

Elliot Kane
9th Sep 2011, 16:07
Why would anyone wants dlcs?
We are paying full price a game to have it "full". I do not want to cut pieces from a game just like tomb raider underworld (Beneath the ashes anyone?) and then sell it to me separately. I do not want companies to think me as a stupid customer. The DLCs of the next TR i will not buy them, because i would allready have bought a collectors edition. If they want more money, they can have them from another one, not me!

Totally agree with this.

Too many companies see DLC as a way of increasing the price of a game by the back door, like they aren't expensive enough already.

This is why I think all DLC should be free.

dark7angel
9th Sep 2011, 17:06
Totally agree with this.

Too many companies see DLC as a way of increasing the price of a game by the back door, like they aren't expensive enough already.

This is why I think all DLC should be free.

I totally second this!!! :thumb:

Ants_27_
9th Sep 2011, 18:17
Or.... this might contradict what I've said in the past in this thread but, my opinion of it now is the same with films.

I find it annoying that I pay to watch a film. How does this relate? Right, you have a director (lets say MR writes and directs, fair do's). What makes them less of a filmmaker is simply, a few months later releasing a directors cut of that same film. So the director should making the film he wanted to make the first time, not after about three versions of the same film.

The same with games. They should make the games story perfect the first time opposed to making 'us' fork out in order to complete it. Now map packs are different, but why can't they be there in the first place as well?

Yep I might now be contradicting what I put the last time but ah well, we change, right?

GoggleboxUK
9th Sep 2011, 21:54
Sorry but no.

Any DLC could just as easily be added to the game. There's enough room on a disc to expand whatever they see fit to expand into DLC so give it to the fans immediately and make them happy that they are getting a complete game for their £40.

If they want to go down the DLC route then why not make something completely different available? Offer up a level creator or more free roam environments that can be explored and treasures collected to unlock new content.

Don't just put out 80% of the game and expect us all to pay again to complete the set, that's not cool.

And it's PS3's turn for EXCLUSIVES, XBox got it last time so even the playing field.

Sophiafan
15th Sep 2011, 15:40
I don't want any exclusivity in the DLC for this game. DLC's would be good if we got new outfits and levels. The game still has to be complete without the DLC though.

ltshaunbrownuk
19th Sep 2011, 23:23
I do not want to see any DLC (ESPECIALLY EXCLUSIVE DLC'S)....

The reason for this is a lot of companies now days create the DLC before the game is released and place it on the disk. Then you pay like £7 or something to download a file which is about 100kb which contains a simple key to unlock it.

I can name 2 games of the top of my head which do this... Dead Space 2 and Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (this game had like 10+ dlc's which total about the same price as whole new game.....an the content was on the disk already, this drove me mad).....an a lot more companies do this neat little trick....

This is robbery, I’m not being funny or nothing but I see it like this....

All the content which has been developed/created by the company before the game is released up until the release date should be free and every customer should get that content as that is what they are paying the £40 for (during the development time of the core game, everything being created in that time should be only CORE 2 the game otherwise what are you doing using up valuble time on things none CORE 2 the game? Development time of the core game should not be wasted on DLC for after release date! If developers have that much time to waste why are so many buggy games being released, if you have spare time why not try polishing the game up a bit more!)

If a company decided to come back after a month or so and create more content then yes its ok to charge for that, unless its content which extends upon the story or what was maybe missing from the disk due to short development times (IDM being charged for none essential DLC like costumes and extra side missions although free is better :P).

An no this does not purposely hide some content and release as a download at a later date because no 1 will know about it. Someone always knows.

Maybe companies could post in the community forums or something (maybe a quick popup in the game once in a while when connected to the internet) either with the ideas for new DLC (would you like to see this.....DLC. YES/NO) or asking them what they would like to see (e.g. more costumes, weapons, maps, side missions ect...). This way you are not forcing the content on fans/customers which I think personally keeps fans of the games/series loyal and happy. Which lets be truthful this is something you want so that they keep coming back in the future.

Any DLC which is amazing....I would welcome :P, Im just annoyed/angry at companies which develop games and then when you get to play it, there are so many things to buy (£££) you feel the game was so incomplete. Im also tired of companies relying on the DLC as the main thing for replay value.

But I doubt any developers especially the PUBLISHERS of the games would take any notice of this as most of them are thinking more about the profit they are going to make as afterall it is just business. If someone listens I'll be surprized XD.

_Love2Raid_
24th Sep 2011, 19:01
Oh yes, I love DLC. Something to look forward to once the game has been played, replayed and starts to bore me.
But no exclusives (if you must, make it XBOX360 exclusive then :naughty::lmao:)!
And the main game should not suffer from it.

I think a lot of people are voting 'no', because of bad experiences with the exclusive TRU DLC (so basically, lack of the experience :-/) and the fiasco that was GOL's DLC. How could you not want more Tomb Raider? :confused:

d1n0_xD
24th Sep 2011, 19:13
I think a lot of people are voting 'no', because of bad experiences with the exclusive TRU DLC (so basically, lack of the experience :-/) and the fiasco that was GOL's DLC. How could you not want more Tomb Raider? :confused:

Agreed! :D Tomb Raider FTW :D

WinterSoldierLTE
24th Sep 2011, 22:12
Agreed! :D Tomb Raider FTW :D

Here, here! I'll have a drink to that! (of coffee, of course. Foldger's Black Silk & French Vanilla Creamer FTW, baybuh!!)

LadyRufina
25th Sep 2011, 16:24
I don't see the big problem with exclusives it's never really anything big and so what if there are? It's just a way of making more money and I would love to see DLCs, maybe some new missions, outfits, weapons... Anything that would add to the game after playing it would add towards it's replayability and I never usually get games that aren't replayable.

LARALOVERnr1
25th Sep 2011, 18:08
No matter how many more Lara we might get, I still keep my opinion;

-If it's not yet on the disc and there was no way to get it in the game before the release;
Release it as DLC :thumb:

-If it's already on the disc and you just have to pay for a code to unlock it;
NO WAY, YOU'RE ALL A BUNCH OF STUPID $@^&#$ MONEY LOVERS :mad:

(Hated Capcom when I found out the Versus DLC on Resi 5 was already on the disc and I only paid them to unlock it :mad:.
They made everything right with the Lost in Nightmares and Desperate Escape DLC's though.
Those are some examples of bringing DLC's the right way :D)

-If it could've been added to the original game, but they're just saving it to make some more money;
NO WAY, YOU'RE ALL A BUNCH OF STUPID $@^&#$ MONEY LOVERS >:(

There.

_Love2Raid_
25th Sep 2011, 18:27
I agree with you for the most part, but not entirely. I think it´s okay to ask money for DLC that is already on the disc, in a locked form. Because when you buy a game, you only pay for the things that you were promised to get, and that´s all that you own. You don´t own anything else, even though it is on that disc. There is a lot of data on those discs, like character models etc. We don´t own those either, the games would cost a whole lot more otherwise! :p

LARALOVERnr1
25th Sep 2011, 18:47
^
Ofcourse we don't own everything, but I still find it annoying when they keep a piece of the game, while they could have (and should have) given it right away.

Let's make the game a jigsaw puzzle. From the 100 pieces, they give you 99 in the box, and for the last piece you have to pay extra. That's just weird, right? I don't see why that's any different when they do it with games and DLC's. :/

Elliot Kane
25th Sep 2011, 18:57
I will leave the best statement of my position to a man who really knows:

Adam Badowski, Studio Director commented “We quite modestly called this new update 2.0, but while testing it, we have realized that this update is, actually bigger than Enhanced Edition known from our first game! So this is a major update not only for us, but also for all those who want to start their adventure with the game and for those who would like to play it again.” He added, “We promised to support our game after release and also bring new content for free. Version 2.0 is one of the steps to fulfill our promise.” Isn’t this policy too generous? Adam Badowski replies: “Around 1 milion units sold worldwide and solid financial results are the best proof that that we have the right approach. You don’t need draconian DRM to have good sales and you don’t need costly DLC to have good financial results. You just need to treat you customers fair, and you get not only financial results, but fans admiration which for us is absolutely priceless!”

CD Projekt RED get it :)

WinterSoldierLTE
25th Sep 2011, 19:44
^^ Ah, never heard of that Adam Badowski guy before, but I like him. He's ok in my book.

Scion_Powered
18th Oct 2011, 21:45
They would have to promise no console exclusives before I would back DLC.