PDA

View Full Version : Open-world or levels?

The New Blueguy
13th Jun 2011, 12:33
I was just wondering if this game will have more of an open-world setting (not necessarily a sandbox which is totally different) or will go by the traditional level-based gameplay of the past games? Now, just so the purists don't get in a stink, I'm not saying make this GTA Hitman. I was just wondering if they intended to take a more open-world approach to level design since he's being hunted.

It's cool if they are stivking to the traditional Hitman set up, but I think the idea of having to take down targets in a open-world city while pretty much the entire city/state/government's law enforcement are hunting you would be pretty tense if you still had to keep with the traditional aspect of stealth, using disguises and causing dstractions and accidents to keep your cover. Again, I'm not saying I want GTA Hitman. Actually far from it. It's just that I think this scenario and the way 47 usually works would make interesting gameplay and could be what that horrible Jason Bourne game should have been.

Nogarda
13th Jun 2011, 12:48
While there is a history and potential for Hitman: Arkham Asylum style free roam to happen, it wouldn't work considering 47 has zero enemies, and no established nemesis. nor is there a need for an island to contain it all in.

I am open to some experimentation with the series after absolution and we get a sequel in 2012/3 clearly all using the badass glacier 2 engine; now is just not the time for it.

The New Blueguy
13th Jun 2011, 15:53
Yeah, I could see them waiting another game or two. I just thought that with them coming back after all this time that we'd get some totally new and not more of the same.

CoDEllite
13th Jun 2011, 19:19
Open world sandbox all the way. I wouldnt have it any other way

Falkenwut
13th Jun 2011, 23:46
As fun as this sounds... This system would not fit the Hitman universe.

Why?

1> Open world consists of free - roaming, there's no reason for agent-47 to roam freely to begin with, plus reduced the chances for developers to go in-depth in atmospheric enviroments.

2> Wrong place wrong time - Ok imagine like GTA, you had to run around for the buzz of it, you end up understanding how the scenario would be, waaaaay before the level even occurs... it would kill the buzz entirely.

3> Hitman's targets are in one place, 47's approach is absolutely NOT going to be, running around in cars, driving boats nor flying planes. He is going to find you when you are relaxed, either at work, or home... and find a way to assassinate you.

And so on goes the list.... So my conclusion - Open world would ruin the Feel for Hitman's enviroment... HOWEVER... I heard that IOI are working on an unnamed project of an open-world violent game... I don't know how old the rumour was, or even if it's true... I'm pretty sure it'll surprise us all!

14th Jun 2011, 19:11
1> Open world consists of free - roaming, there's no reason for agent-47 to roam freely to begin with, plus reduced the chances for developers to go in-depth in atmospheric environment.
A little Free roaming wouldn't be bad. The best missions in the Hitman series are the ones with both indoor and outdoor elements, with that kind of sandbox like level style. I don't think that doing the game in sandbox would stop the developers from being able to 'go in-depth in atmospheric environment', because they know that this game is focused so if they keep it to their really focused and detailed set pieces.

2> Wrong place wrong time - Ok imagine like GTA, you had to run around for the buzz of it, you end up understanding how the scenario would be, waaaaay before the level even occurs... it would kill the buzz entirely.
They could Lock out parts of the map easy. If its a building then they Lock the door and access.

3> Hitman's targets are in one place, 47's approach is absolutely NOT going to be, running around in cars, driving boats nor flying planes. He is going to find you when you are relaxed, either at work, or home... and find a way to assassinate you.
But we have seen 47 do those things, we've seen him fly plane and drive car and boats. So I guess now the question is should there be Drivable Vehicles? I think that there should be. Remember on silent assassin when 47 could get in the back of moving trucks? Well I think the next step is to have 47 be able to drive vehicles. Sure its a stealth game but it could work like when your following someone thats in a car.

It don't have to play like your traditional sandbox game Im thinking that you'll sill have a level select screen. Also it don't have to be all in one location but be like destroy all humans where you can have like four or five maps.

Falkenwut
14th Jun 2011, 23:03
^ I guess ur right considering that it's been done before. I will point out the game:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/55/Death_to_Spies_Cover.jpg
Death to Spies.

A very under-rated game. Feels alot like hitman with open-world elements... However the game was a bit too slow-paced for the modern gamer.

I highly recommend any of you Hitman loyals to try this out... albeit that you WILL swear...

bryan244
19th Jul 2011, 07:09
^ I guess ur right considering that it's been done before. I will point out the game:
Death to Spies.

A very under-rated game. Feels alot like hitman with open-world elements... However the game was a bit too slow-paced for the modern gamer.

I highly recommend any of you Hitman loyals to try this out... albeit that you WILL swear...

Hello i was wondering if death to spies one or two is freeroam or at least has a free roam ending?

nirvana1
19th Jul 2011, 16:08
I was just wondering if this game will have more of an open-world setting (not necessarily a sandbox which is totally different) or will go by the traditional level-based gameplay of the past games? Now, just so the purists don't get in a stink, I'm not saying make this GTA Hitman. I was just wondering if they intended to take a more open-world approach to level design since he's being hunted.

It's cool if they are stivking to the traditional Hitman set up, but I think the idea of having to take down targets in a open-world city while pretty much the entire city/state/government's law enforcement are hunting you would be pretty tense if you still had to keep with the traditional aspect of stealth, using disguises and causing dstractions and accidents to keep your cover. Again, I'm not saying I want GTA Hitman. Actually far from it. It's just that I think this scenario and the way 47 usually works would make interesting gameplay and could be what that horrible Jason Bourne game should have been.

:thumb: good, i like open world

nirvana1
20th Jul 2011, 21:41
and even gta hitman is better than hitman conviction

25th Jul 2011, 14:59
so what are you saying? you want some like, GTA hitman created or someting? coz that would suck

nirvana1
25th Jul 2011, 15:51
so what are you saying? you want some like, GTA hitman created or someting? coz that would suck

not like gta ,all hitmans have mini open world already,in next hitman can have more open world,its better than small places and short dark and silly missions like conviction.

Silent Bob
8th Aug 2011, 05:35
You guys want free roam hitman, look elsewhere. I WANT MORE OF THE SAME. THE SAME IS SO DAMN GOOD. They just need to refine the gameplay, upgrade the character progression system and it will easily be one of the best games of the year. Jesus christ theres no way a developer would do what you guys are talking about. THeres just too much of a financial risk to change a series entirely and overhaul the gameplay. IF IT AINT BROKE DONT ******* FIX IT. The hitman series is one of the best ever they don't need to **** it up.

nirvana1
8th Aug 2011, 12:08
remove covering and darkness.work on free roam and open world, it will be 100%
the best game

nirvana1
8th Aug 2011, 14:22
remove covering and darkness.work on free roam and open world, it will be 100%
the best game

hey maybe covering in open world is not harm for hitman

Platinumoxicity
9th Aug 2011, 10:25
Hi, I came here from the Thief 4 forum.

I think open world is the most incompatible idea with Hitman ever. 47 is an international contract killer. How many high-stakes kill contracts can you find in a single, average-to-small sized city? It doesn't make any sense for everything to take place in one single area. That's my only problem with open world Hitman.

nirvana1
9th Aug 2011, 17:51
Hi, I came here from the Thief 4 forum.

I think open world is the most incompatible idea with Hitman ever. 47 is an international contract killer. How many high-stakes kill contracts can you find in a single, average-to-small sized city? It doesn't make any sense for everything to take place in one single area. That's my only problem with open world Hitman.

but some last hitman's missions are in open world (not completely). they can upgrade it to more open world but not like gta or driver in huge city. they can create a new open world game Thus never in any game

Platinumoxicity
9th Aug 2011, 20:31
Oh I have nothing against larger and less linear levels like the Murder of Crows. What I would have a problem with would be an open city mission hub where you would go around doing your assassination missions. 47 is not a Ukranian ex-military thug who kills your boss for 5 bucks. He gets a call from oil executives for a job to assassinate a Saudi businessman so that his idiot brother would inherit their father's lands instead and it would be easier for the oil company to swindle the oil from in front of his nose at a lower price. 47's jobs are requested by people who want to change the world from behind the scenes. Having all of 47's marks happen to reside in one neighborhood doesn't really sound like something you could make a Hitman-game plot out of.

nirvana1
9th Aug 2011, 20:54
Oh I have nothing against larger and less linear levels like the Murder of Crows. What I would have a problem with would be an open city mission hub where you would go around doing your assassination missions. 47 is not a Ukranian ex-military thug who kills your boss for 5 bucks. He gets a call from oil executives for a job to assassinate a Saudi businessman so that his idiot brother would inherit their father's lands instead and it would be easier for the oil company to swindle the oil from in front of his nose at a lower price. 47's jobs are requested by people who want to change the world from behind the scenes. Having all of 47's marks happen to reside in one neighborhood doesn't really sound like something you could make a Hitman-game plot out of.

so if hitman will never in open world again,it will become like conviction,short missions covering and shooting its not hitman,even first hitman Before gta3 was in a open place in second mission of the Codename 47 you are free or you can choose every Way to complete your job in every missions,not like conviction just go the way in your map and dont need thinking

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-6DmZtd589NM/TddubjjKu3I/AAAAAAAAB50/mm8iC04828I/s400/hitman_790screen017.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-T-9OW7pG9HI/TdduceP8G0I/AAAAAAAAB54/LV5_zIJw-nE/s400/hitman_790screen019.jpg http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/screenshots/gs/feature_previews/hitman/hitman_screen002.jpg

http://www.miastogier.pl/baza/Encyklopedia/gry/HitmanCodename47_PC/Poradnik/31.jpg

http://www.hitmangame.info/hitman1sceensots/hitman-1-codename-47-sceenshot_1.jpg http://www.hitmangame.info/hitman1sceensots/hitman-1-codename-47-sceenshot_6.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-NILyELCjBBg/TdduaxnweMI/AAAAAAAAB5w/vX1kWOmiHP8/s400/hitman_790screen016.jpg

Maximus Max
10th Aug 2011, 16:03
I would hate to see Hitman go open world! Could not think of anything worse! I loved that each level is completely contained until you reach the next. You get a great feel for the different country/location you are in.
They could however make the levels larger like make 'Tracking Hayamoto', 'Hidden Valley' and 'Shogun Showdown' (from HM 2) one massive level for example? But what point is back tracking once you progress forward? Besides one open world means one city or country and that's b.o.r.i.n.g.

Mind you each level is some what 'sand boxy' in the way you can choose how to assassinate targets or in what order you complete tasks? And that's as open world a Hitman title should be!

nirvana1
10th Aug 2011, 18:49
I would hate to see Hitman go open world! Could not think of anything worse! I loved that each level is completely contained until you reach the next. You get a great feel for the different country/location you are in.
They could however make the levels larger like make 'Tracking Hayamoto', 'Hidden Valley' and 'Shogun Showdown' (from HM 2) one massive level for example? But what point is back tracking once you progress forward? Besides one open world means one city or country and that's b.o.r.i.n.g.

Mind you each level is some what 'sand boxy' in the way you can choose how to assassinate targets or in what order you complete tasks? And that's as open world a Hitman title should be!

i mean a new open world not like the others, i like missions have harmony whit open world , not very open world to harm for hitman they can Adjustment this game whit free open world or somthing like that,levels can be in open world (both levels and open world):whistle:

Maximus Max
11th Aug 2011, 00:42
^ I don't see how it could work? The scale for Hitman compared to open world is completely different. Even Death to Spies is still not 100% open, it's a more developed version of a hitman style but no where near sand box.
I'm actually surprised so many people want sand box to come to Hitman! I mean I love open world games (GTA, RDR, Fallout, Oblivion) but really? I play Hitman because you go from being in Japan to India to Mississippi to Hong Kong to Columbia to basically anywhere Mr. 47 feels like, with each it's own cool location, penthouse, hospital, steam boat, street restaurant or wine launch coke party? How could that translate?
How for example could you have all the missions from Blood Money in an open world setting? If you didn't and say focused on Mississippi (example) how boring would that be after 4 missions of the same ****? Please DO not make it sand box. Are people wanting to get Agent 47 drunk, drive his Lambo, pick up his girl friend and hot coffee her? I mean what?

11th Aug 2011, 06:58
I know exactly what your saying but they can do a sandbox.

How for example could you have all the missions from Blood Money in an open world setting? If you didn't and say focused on Mississippi (example) how boring would that be after 4 missions of the same ? This is where your argument falls apart. The setting has little or nothing at all to do with how fun the game will be. Because when 47 travels to different places around the world you only get the idea that your in a different place and you might see a little snow or something, but its really just the level design that counts. You could dump all of blood money's maps into one sandbox and you'll have all the same missions all the same fun.
With that being said just because its a sandbox doen't mean that you only have to be in one location for the whole game. Just for example here's how I would have done it. There would be about four or five maps and say 47 travels from the United States to Mexico, Korea, and then Russia, each of which are sandboxes them selfs. With all that you got your self a pretty good adventure all around the world.
A better Example of what Im talking about is Destroy All Humans a game where you play as an alien going around the world killing humans, and its like what I was saying, having multiple sandbox levels.

Now all this talk about sandbox is kind of pointless because they already decided how they'r going to make the levels. Its going to be more straight forward less opened and more linear because there gonna be checkpoints.

Maximus Max
11th Aug 2011, 12:09
Its going to be more straight forward less opened and more linier because there gonna be check points.

Oh that's a bit ****. Check points? Do we really need them? Obviously. But again, you argument falls apart because if 47 was going from the states to Mexico to Russia to Paris with open sand box style levels? That's not sand box. Isn't that basically what we already have? How could you smack the English manor next to the rehab facilities with a Paris opera house down the road? It just seems weird. Beside what does 47 do in his spare time? Drive around? Eat? He plans for his next hit! Much more entertaining!

Hold up yo! Are there levels not already free roam? Most of them are. 80% are anyway?

11th Aug 2011, 13:41
It would open up all new possibilities like Extra side missions, following cars, and having to find your target in the opened city, with all the that other stuff still intact.

Maximus Max
11th Aug 2011, 13:44
You gonna need a crap load of interiors and one massive city for it to not come off as cheesy...

nirvana1
11th Aug 2011, 16:38
Are people wanting to get Agent 47 drunk, drive his Lambo, pick up his girl friend and hot coffee her? I mean what?

is that really open world?:eek: that's an open-ended driving action game you say,like gta we don't talking about gta.hitman is stealth whit open world in some parts.

Maximus Max
12th Aug 2011, 03:55
is that really open world?:eek: that's an open-ended driving action game you say,like gta we don't talking about gta.hitman is stealth whit open world in some parts.

But people are throwing around 'sand box' and GTA is sand box. So since Hitman is already partly open world whats the problem? I love the levels. Once you finish a level (if it was open world) why would need to revisit it? It's better to be able to just replay the whole level?

iloveyouXWORLD
12th Aug 2011, 04:42
open world would ruin hitman, that im certain

nirvana1
12th Aug 2011, 12:21
But people are throwing around 'sand box' and GTA is sand box. So since Hitman is already partly open world whats the problem? I love the levels. Once you finish a level (if it was open world) why would need to revisit it? It's better to be able to just replay the whole level?

ok i like sand box too but i don't want hitman become completely like gta ;)

Maximus Max
13th Aug 2011, 07:04
^ Good to hear bro, seems a lot of people do though?

FromTheGrave
15th Aug 2011, 06:07
Hitman is not built to be a sandbox style game. What would 47 do with his spare time between contracts? He doesn't care about normal everyday living. It would make no sense in this case. Now we all want to see extremely open missions. Personally, I would like to see a mission at a baseball stadium or something like that. The missions should be huge and extremely open but the game itself should not be sandbox.

15th Aug 2011, 08:23
He would have a whole lot to do on his spare time like tons of sub missions with sub story line: like having to kill crime bosses or something like
Motorcade Interception Missions:where you get a bunch of missions where you have to snipe a target that limo.
Shooter Missions: missions where you have to fine where a sniper is before he or she kills a VIP.
And just whole lot of side mission where you do alot of different things.

You gonna need a crap load of interiors and one massive city for it to not come off as cheesy...
You would need alot of interiors but you wouldn't necessarily need a massive city.

FromTheGrave
15th Aug 2011, 14:56
We are talking about a world class hitman, he does the most expensive and difficult contracts for vast amounts of money. I don't see 47 bothering to kill all the politicians in Chicago and the gangsters for chump change. Plus, this time he seems to have the cops on his ass, so he will run around on the street, drawing attention to himself, doing side missions? I just don't see that being a part of a game series like this. The final point I have is that 47 seems to be on a personal mission, and he's not the kind of guy who stops to smell the roses you know?

Someot
30th Aug 2011, 16:34
I would like larger levels, but not San Andreas. Perhaps a block of large buildings with targets that go between them. And (kind of off topic) I would like to be able to go in to a level before a target comes and the security is all beefed up and get a feel of the area and maybe hide my silverballers in the bathroom.

romcombo
4th Sep 2011, 21:46
The best way for it to be is some missions with large maps and others with smaller maps. I think that the extra side missions thing sound interesting though, but it could work in level (For example, in many missions there are optional objectives, it could say something like "See the woman in Room 423 for information regarding another hit")

iaNeil
6th Sep 2011, 15:37
Hitman already is free roam. Large maps where you have no mandatory direction. If the designers can focus on individual maps, the graphics and game play will be loads better. Personally I think a sandbox style game would ruin Hitman, and it wouldn't be as good as it could be. Let's pray to god that the designers don't take that route.

nirvana1
7th Sep 2011, 23:59
Hitman already is free roam. Large maps where you have no mandatory direction. If the designers can focus on individual maps, the graphics and game play will be loads better. Personally I think a sandbox style game would ruin Hitman, and it wouldn't be as good as it could be. Let's pray to god that the designers don't take that route.

i agree hitman is already free roam,larger map and more jobs can be good for absolution

BigBoss
23rd Sep 2011, 20:52
It could be cool if they made a giant open world

Dinge
29th Sep 2011, 12:11
Ok, for the argument's sake: let's say Agent 47 has his reasons to roam around his home town/city. This doesn't necessarily mean the game would turn in GTA if it would be a sandbox.

Let's rap: Say there's a city 47 lives in, doesn't really matter which kind (Western, Middle-Eastern, ...). If the city were to be small enough so the levels still existed outside of the city, the game wouldn't suffer from it. Meaning: when 47 gets a mission, he has to meet his agency on a specific time at a specific location for departure. When the player gets to this meet point a loading screen appears and the player gets dropped in a mission (from which it's not possible to return without completing or aborting it).

Now to make the roaming part non-GTA-like, add some rules for on the road. Make cops pull you over, write fines, check your licence, arrest etc. Note that cops should be very strict to make this work (like an advanced cop model of Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven). This way the game would open up to side missions and involvement in 47's personal life.

I know this requires a lot of time and money to develop but it's merely an idea. Probably a next-gen gaming idea.

BigBoss
1st Oct 2011, 10:03
What does that have to do with Hitman? Nothing. Yeah, a giant open world is cool in and of itself.

What did you contribute with that statement? Nothing. If you're going to outright say something is a bad idea, at least have the competency to explain why.

The Algerian
10th Oct 2011, 12:48
Free roaming open world would be a terrible idea for a Hitman game IMO.

Death to Spies.

Thanks, I'll try this one.

Xcom
12th Oct 2011, 13:12
This looks like it should've been a poll thread. :)

Personally, I prefer level based Hitman.

Verz
12th Oct 2011, 20:47
I liked older Hitman games' simplicity. I would like to strict with the old school Levels, rather than create a huge open world. Like said before, Agent 47 is an international killer, it would be boring to stay in one place (for me).

Edit: I liked Codename 47's Hong Kong and Jungle based levels, both were set in a whole different area, different structures etc.

Rhamka
12th Dec 2011, 01:18
DO NOT LISTEN THESE NEWCOMERS OF HITMAN SERIES!!! The success of the serie is just one, it stays as closest possible to the main idea of hitman, no big changes that make to lose the point. Hitman is a level game, he is a conctract killer that uses a 1 level agency, not a cheap gunner wandering the world, robbing ppl and stealing cars...
Serously, WE WANT MORE OF THE SAME, BUT IMPROVED

fert
31st Dec 2011, 13:04
I liked older Hitman games' simplicity. I would like to strict with the old school Levels, rather than create a huge open world. Like said before, Agent 47 is an international killer, it would be boring to stay in one place (for me).

Edit: I liked Codename 47's Hong Kong and Jungle based levels, both were set in a whole different area, different structures etc.

different areas in different open worlds

Barez
31st Dec 2011, 13:23
No open world please!

We have never seen 47 in an open world before. I prefer level based, small area with many cops or guards, so we can sneak around..

How GOOD would it feel to be un-seen in an open world ? Even a drunk man can escape in an open world between the people....

It always feels good to escape in areas Where you're wanted like hell? I liked the 'Run For Your Life' because he escaped out of a building where there was cops everywhere..

Open world would make it more like GTA..

shobhit777777
31st Dec 2011, 14:29
open world would not work in Hitman. The game is not designed for it.

Hitman is a game based around killing a target in a sandbox environment, with the playstyle being defined by the player...allowing a LOT of choice. THIS requires the levels to be extremely well designed and really detailed to facilitate all players. An open world game would not be able to offer the same carefully crafted murder sandboxes.

Plus several mechanics like disguises and interiors would be totally screwed up.

Open World- NO.

fert
31st Dec 2011, 15:41
a good assassin can get more jobs in open world,so i say yes to open world

Barez
31st Dec 2011, 16:03

Hitman is a game based around killing a target in a sandbox environment, with the playstyle being defined by the player...allowing a LOT of choice. THIS requires the levels to be extremely well designed and really detailed to facilitate all players. An open world game would not be able to offer the same carefully crafted murder sandboxes.

Plus several mechanics like disguises and interiors would be totally screwed up.

Open World- NO.

True! 200% agree with you.

nirvana1
2nd Jan 2012, 23:33

Open World- NO.

open world or sandbox or levels or not ,hitman needs more freedom whit huge places like part of a city to be improved.

shobhit777777
3rd Jan 2012, 15:29
open world or sandbox or levels or not ,hitman needs more freedom whit huge places like part of a city to be improved.

I think it's a misconception that larger levels=more freedom.

A small, well designed level with several approaches encouraging different playstyles is infinitely better than just a large level.

Eg: Deus Ex. The levels are all tight yet superbly well designed and offer more freedom than it's contemporaries.

Freedom comes in the TYPE of playstyles a game can support. Absolution looks extremely promising in that regard.

nirvana1
3rd Jan 2012, 15:47
I think it's a misconception that larger levels=more freedom.

A small, well designed level with several approaches encouraging different playstyles is infinitely better than just a large level.

Eg: Deus Ex. The levels are all tight yet superbly well designed and offer more freedom than it's contemporaries.

Freedom comes in the TYPE of playstyles a game can support. Absolution looks extremely promising in that regard.

i agree:thumb: deus ex good,i think some thing like that would be awesome for hitman,but they should add day night engine,always dark shadows like deus not good for hitman ,hitman needs both.;)

Barez
3rd Jan 2012, 17:58
i agree:thumb: deus ex good,i think some thing like that would be awesome for hitman,but they should add day night engine,always dark shadows like deus not good for hitman ,hitman needs both.;)

Also true! It needs both, night and daylight.. But when I think, 47 can be scared to come out in daylight as he is hunted by everyone :/ Maybe they have set a price on hes head for everyone...