PDA

View Full Version : Multiple endings?

WinterSoldierLTE
12th Jun 2011, 15:37
Let's face it, folks: the times they are 'a changin'. A new TR, new story, some new features and moves. One thing I've been wondering ever since the announcement of the new TR is will there be multiple endings? It's not a groundbreaking feature, as many other games have had such a feature ever since the 16 bit era (probably earlier, actually), but it would be quite new to the TR series. Typically in games with multiple endings you get a good ending, a bad ending, and sometimes a joke ending. These obviously are implemented in most games as a means to wrap all ends up in whatever particular story is being told, as well as give a game a bit of replay value.

So should TR implement multiple endings into the games? What does everyone think?

IvanaKC
12th Jun 2011, 15:52
Actually, I'd like to see multiple endings.

One with Lara who became explorer and some scenes where she is older.
Other with Lara not surving.
And the last one, Lara having a normal life without being tomb raider (I know everyone would hate this one :D).

Elliot Kane
12th Jun 2011, 16:03
I'm going with 'maybe'. Multiple endings belong in an RPG that has real choices and implements consequences for those choices. Lara's been flirting with RPG-ness for a while now, and I wouldn't hate her to take the final step. I've always thought she was an ideal RPG character and it really wouldn't take much tweaking to put her all the way there.

If it's not 'Lara Croft: RPG', though, multiple endings just don't fit and I would not want to see them. Basing them off the number of specials/artifacts/whatever found, for example, would just be silly.

IvanaKC
12th Jun 2011, 16:12
I'm going with 'maybe'. Multiple endings belong in an RPG that has real choices and implements consequences for those choices. Lara's been flirting with RPG-ness for a while now, and I wouldn't hate her to take the final step. I've always thought she was an ideal RPG character and it really wouldn't take much tweaking to put her all the way there.

If it's not 'Lara Croft: RPG', though, multiple endings just don't fit and I would not want to see them. Basing them off the number of specials/artifacts/whatever found, for example, would just be silly.

But what endings aren't based on artifacts and stuff you find? Wouldn't it be great if you could choose your path (example: to get into the cave or to go into the forest)?

d1n0_xD
12th Jun 2011, 16:19
I voted 'Yes' beacuse that would be cool :D It would also increase the replayability of the game :D Like Ivana said, you can choose your paths, or you know, a boss comes and you beat it's a** and then you decide will you finish him off or let him go (this is just an example :D). Anyways, it would be a nice change ^^

angelus0901
12th Jun 2011, 18:32
I voted NO. I hate multiple endings.

LARALOVERnr1
12th Jun 2011, 18:56
Voted 'No' to. I don't think multiple endings would fit a game like this. 2 or 3 positive endings (Like being rescued by boat or by plane) works for me, but a good, bad, joke and 2 in between-endings are to much for me.

QiX
12th Jun 2011, 19:44
There are two possibilities for multiple endings in a game series: The next game would have no connection at all with the current one, or importing saved games folder the next game will incorporate the decisions you have made in this one. I would hate it either way, I mean, I love Mass Effect but I don't want TR to use this type of solution. Big fat 'NO'.

Elliot Kane
12th Jun 2011, 19:54
But what endings aren't based on artifacts and stuff you find? Wouldn't it be great if you could choose your path (example: to get into the cave or to go into the forest)?

Choosing from a number of paths through the game adds to replayability and is a good idea (As with TR3, in fact. Not my favourite TR game, but had a lot of good ideas, nonetheless).

Different paths leading to different endings is a bit random, though. The ending you got would be more down to luck than anything else, which I don't think is a great idea.

'On path 1 you rescue an old man, on path two a young woman; on path three you rescue no-one' could give different endings - but is it interesting to do it that way? I think not. The player has no meaningful choice and thus no investment in the ending.

Ants_27_
12th Jun 2011, 20:56
I voted 'Maybe'. If the ending scene is going to be a bland and pointless as Underworlds was then yes.

But if the ending is right and fits perfectly then no. There are certain stories that couldn't possibly have multiple endings. MGS 4: Guns of the patriots is a good example of this. I doubt TR will have a ending cutscene anywhere near the scale and size of that ending, a 60 minute ending, I doubt it. If you tried shoving a different ending on it then it becomes less 'right'.

Also I think the first playthrough of a game is the best and is 'yours' (if multiple endings are there). Heavy Rain and it's something like 20 different endings. It has some fantastic endings but not a single one added replayabilty.

Why?

Cause my first playthrough was geared and based on the options I wanted, not the the options I had to choose in order to see different endings. Make sense?

Cristiavano
12th Jun 2011, 23:15
yes since it's fun but no since you have to replay if you wanted teh other ending. Unless crystal makes the old tomb raider save save anywhere then yes. BUt overall no i might end up with an ending i don't like. And if i get a bad ending i would be like wait how'd i get back and i died? in the next tomb raider game so they should stick with one ending. maybe dialoge should change and people die but lara's destiny remains the same

Gemma_Darkmoon_
13th Jun 2011, 03:02
I have three concerns about the idea of multiple endings. They would be that if you have 3 weaker endings it is not as good as one epic one. The initial completion time of the game cut be cut if the paths split off is too early. The most difficult is that if any references are made to the conclusions of the game in future games or a sequel is made then it's tough to make that fit with all endings. Some would probably have to be declared as non-cannon which then defeats the point. Any in which Lara dies would be daft and if Roth is to appear in future games then any where he dies are also daft. Too many knots to tie yourself in to make multiple endings worthwhile.

LC is Me
13th Jun 2011, 03:42
No.

IvanaKC
13th Jun 2011, 14:22
Something also came to my mind: what if multiple endings open up different stories? That way they could connect her past with newer games or simply continue where they are now. If they are continuing, there would still be satisfied fans saying 'OK, Lara is back to normal in this ending. Now I gotta see what will happen with Lara I'm not used to'.

Ants_27_
13th Jun 2011, 17:42
Something also came to my mind: what if multiple endings open up different stories? That way they could connect her past with newer games or simply continue where they are now. If they are continuing, there would still be satisfied fans saying 'OK, Lara is back to normal in this ending. Now I gotta see what will happen with Lara I'm not used to'.

That depends on the endings themselves... if there drastic differences then the game will struggle to be followed up by a connecting sequel.

Cristiavano
13th Jun 2011, 20:38
That depends on the endings themselves... if there drastic differences then the game will struggle to be followed up by a connecting sequel.

but one main thing is LARA must not die dialogue should remain a bit different. But the characters should die or live in each ending the same way. Just think AOD different responses and dialogue but same ending

WinterSoldierLTE
13th Jun 2011, 21:23

You mean like in one ending she finds about about the Mirror Of Smoke or something like that? That could be kind of cool.

I was thinking more like these examples:

Good ending1: Lara lives, Roth lives, all is well.

Good ending2: Roth dies by sacrificing himself so Lara can (and does) live, all is somewhat ok.

(kinda sorta) Bad ending1: Roth dies because Lara couldn't save him in time, Lara lives

Bad ending2: Roth dies, Lara lives, but is now a bit unstable in the head and is forced into a mental asylum.

Just examples of how I picture multiple endings, mind you.

IvanaKC
13th Jun 2011, 21:47
You mean like in one ending she finds about about the Mirror Of Smoke or something like that? That could be kind of cool.

I didn't mean that exactly, but something similar. For example, Lara survives, goes back home, and in the next scene we see her in Calcutta, India or somewhere else where she could find adventure. That would give me chills and leave me excited for the new game! :D

Greenas
15th Jun 2011, 17:51
Perhaps. Multiple endings could work well provided it is implemented correctly and that all endings are good ones.

Ants_27_
15th Jun 2011, 18:13
Multiple endings or not, I'm certainly hoping that the game has a dark ending, no more: that was close, off she trots to her next adventure.

Dark endings are always good and interesting.:D

d1n0_xD
15th Jun 2011, 20:11

I was thinking more like these examples:

Good ending1: Lara lives, Roth lives, all is well.

Good ending2: Roth dies by sacrificing himself so Lara can (and does) live, all is somewhat ok.

(kinda sorta) Bad ending1: Roth dies because Lara couldn't save him in time, Lara lives

Bad ending2: Roth dies, Lara lives, but is now a bit unstable in the head and is forced into a mental asylum.

Just examples of how I picture multiple endings, mind you.

Since this is a reboot, and it will show what happened to Lara and what she had to go trough to become the Lara we know, I imagine the end will be her loosing something/someone very valuable/close to her heart, and because of that she will rise and become determined and blah blah, you know, the Lara we know :D

And these multiple endings prove that :thumb: Anyways, I don't like the one with the asylum, but other three are good, and picture the Lara we know ^^

Ants_27_
15th Jun 2011, 20:56

Now that would be a brilliant ending.

I'm thinking very Angelina Jolie and the changeling. A push for her being accused of being off her trolley after death and 'all she's gone through' and is essentially backed into a corner in order to admit it... but she's really not, much anyway, perhaps on the brink.

A sort of final farewell to 'young Lara' I guess.

One long cutscene though. Hell, if MGS can keeps its audience entertained with 60 minute long ending cutscenes I'm sure TR could... especially an ending that would be pretty gritty in it's own right.

WinterSoldierLTE
15th Jun 2011, 22:04
Now that would be a brilliant ending.

I'm thinking very Angelina Jolie and the changeling. A push for her being accused of being off her trolley after death and 'all she's gone through' and is essentially backed into a corner in order to admit it... but she's really not, much anyway, perhaps on the brink.

A sort of final farewell to 'young Lara' I guess.

One long cutscene though. Hell, if MGS can keeps its audience entertained with 60 minute long ending cutscenes I'm sure TR could... especially an ending that would be pretty gritty in it's own right.

Oh right on. Yeah what I meant was I picture that type of variety in endings when I think of multiple endings, not THOSE specific endings per se. My bad. I'm not saying the game should end in any of those ways, except for Lara living, obviously. Altho I must admit I just threw that asylum bit in there to show variety, and now that I think about it more and more, yeah, that could be cool if done proper, eh? I like things of a dark/disturbing nature, so I'd be up for it. Surely she's bound to encounter or go through something on the island that will leave a bit of a scar on the brain. Hmm....

And for ending cutscene length, I'm not gonna lie, I'd be happy if it were at least 10 minutes long. Or longer. I don't care how good a game is, nothing's more disappointing then when you spend days upon days playing a game, and get a 2 minute ending cutscene."THAT'S it?! I stressed over saving the world for DAYS just to get a 'Hey good job! I'm off for tea now!'?!" It just feels like a cop-out every time. Or maybe it's just me.

Ants_27_
16th Jun 2011, 06:52
Oh right on. Yeah what I meant was I picture that type of variety in endings when I think of multiple endings, not THOSE specific endings per se. My bad. I'm not saying the game should end in any of those ways, except for Lara living, obviously. Altho I must admit I just threw that asylum bit in there to show variety, and now that I think about it more and more, yeah, that could be cool if done proper, eh? I like things of a dark/disturbing nature, so I'd be up for it. Surely she's bound to encounter or go through something on the island that will leave a bit of a scar on the brain. Hmm....

Or at least they'd of likely reported the ship upon it not arriving at wherever it was supposed to arrive. Thus when she returns they aren't just going to let her go home... "That was fun".

And for ending cutscene length, I'm not gonna lie, I'd be happy if it were at least 10 minutes long. Or longer. I don't care how good a game is, nothing's more disappointing then when you spend days upon days playing a game, and get a 2 minute ending cutscene."THAT'S it?! I stressed over saving the world for DAYS just to get a 'Hey good job! I'm off for tea now!'?!" It just feels like a cop-out every time. Or maybe it's just me.

No. I agree completely. They do feel like a cop-out.:D

monwolf
16th Jun 2011, 07:45
I voted yes. It was one of the reasons I loved Heavy Rain. I think its still possible to have continuing storylines, just as long as Lara is alive at the end :)

WinterSoldierLTE
16th Jun 2011, 10:33
@Ants Yeah, that's true. She'd have a few questions to answer this time around wouldn't she? I didn't even think about the fact that there's probably some people somewhere waiting for that ship to arrive at a port who might be curious as to why it never shows up and what happened. Guess I'm used to her being put in a scenario where only the people in her clique (Winston, Zip, Alistair) know where she's at. Food for thought (and speculation) for sure.

a_big_house
17th Jun 2011, 10:23
Ending 1: After Lara risks her life to save Roth they both make it to the beach to get to a ship they called in to rescue them (after they've stopped what ever destroys them) they notice the ship is already leaving so hurry up a nearby cliff to jump for it (It's a small boat), Roth jumps first and makes it, Lara gets a run up but trips and smacks her head on a rock rendering her unconscience, Roth struggles with the sailors on board as he trys to go back to help her, the game ends with a close up of Lara's face with blood trickling down the rock and the screen fading to black.
Ending 2: Lara makes it to the beach after leaving Roth to die (He's a bad guy at the end) she gets onto the boat and they begin to sail off. Lara sits and watches the island get smaller as they get further away, she see a small figure appear on the beach and a tear runs down her face, the game ends with the boat sailing into the distance and the screen fades to black.

/\ I hope so :D

Ants_27_
17th Jun 2011, 13:32
@Ants Yeah, that's true. She'd have a few questions to answer this time around wouldn't she? I didn't even think about the fact that there's probably some people somewhere waiting for that ship to arrive at a port who might be curious as to why it never shows up and what happened. Guess I'm used to her being put in a scenario where only the people in her clique (Winston, Zip, Alistair) know where she's at. Food for thought (and speculation) for sure.

Exactly.

This time around there should be more people who are higher than Lara; those who were supposed to greet the ship on the other end on behalf of whoever.

gsusfrk
17th Jun 2011, 23:47
Not to say this is an RPG nor do we seem to have a choice in armor, skills (magic and the like-wise so we have been told) and what we say, but in the game Divinity 2 - Ego Draconis the ending was one where the user lost (sorry for the spoilers). Even though it wasn't an overall positive effect, the proceeding expansion solved that problem. To have multiple endings (I presume good and bad - living/surviving and dying/not surviving) could mean somewhat higher replayability but I suppose you've have to define multiple endings? Death or life? Cinematics? Right combination of achievements and a way to unlock another level?
I said yes because even though they say it will be an open level, the choice of what we do and don't do should affect the greater ending, negative or positive. Though, any person wanting that sort of gameplay should expect an easy 4 year story development because of the webbing that would need to be inplemented. Not saying it's impossible, but difficult and maybe not even worth the resources.

RosePetals
20th Jun 2011, 14:54
Tomb Raider + Multiple endings = No, thanks. (IMO.) :)

Greenas
21st Jun 2011, 12:36
A don't think they should have a dark ending unless it's a cliffhanger. A dark ending that echoes finality wouldn't be too promising for the series and leaves one with a sense of emptiness and loss.

A dark ending and implies continuation is good because it gives the series a mature element without saying "there's a bad ending for you. That's it, live with it". It gives you a bad or dark ending, but it also gives you hope because it will indicate that the storyline still has a way too go before giving you a satisfying resolution.

Pulse
21st Jun 2011, 20:57
No.

Wrap up the game's story. Do not just create a bunch of different endings; settle on one. Multiple endings is one of the reasons I'm not too excited about FFXIII-2.

LadyRufina
18th Jul 2011, 14:50
No because what other way could the franchise carry on without Lara becoming the Tomb Raider? I can't think of another way of it to end other than Lara surviving, growing up and fulfilling her destiny...

VOLCOM20lovesLARA
27th Jul 2011, 19:57
i believe that the storyline should end on one note only because
it would make it easier the developers to make a sequel
to the new game.

Lara Croft 1993
21st Dec 2012, 12:19
Hello everybody,

Im not sure did somebody open this thread before,and if so,im sorry.
As you can see in title,I want to know will there be more then one end?
We probably won't know until we complete game,but what are yours speculations?

Ps

I would like to ask moderator to help me about getting instant email notification when somebody reply on thread started or commented(i adjust notification type but i still don't receive it on my outlook 2007.)

Jonko
21st Dec 2012, 12:21
Probably not.

JapaneseIsland
21st Dec 2012, 12:21
Hello everybody,

Im not sure did somebody open this thread before,and if so,im sorry.
As you can see in title,I want to know will there be more then one end?
We probably won't know until we complete game,but what are yours speculations?

Ps

I would like to ask moderator to help me about getting instant email notification when somebody reply on thread started or commented(i adjust notification type but i still don't receive it on my outlook 2007.)

There is only one ending, Karl confirmed I think.

blackseed32
21st Dec 2012, 12:32
Hello everybody,

Just click above on thread tools and click subscribe then choose how you want to subscribe: instant, daily or weekly.

Lara Croft 1993
21st Dec 2012, 14:21
Just click above on thread tools and click subscribe then choose how you want to subscribe: instant, daily or weekly.

I already did that,but still nothing happens.:scratch:

blackseed32
21st Dec 2012, 14:31

you will get an email every time someone replies on the thread you subscribed to. Doesn't always work how it should but it does the job.
This is what it says at the end of every message: "There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again."

Metalrocks
21st Dec 2012, 14:36
There is only one ending, Karl confirmed I think.

he did. its in the FAQ thread. they want to explain a story and having multi endings cant explain the story of lara the way they intend.

Lara Croft 1993
21st Dec 2012, 14:44
he did. its in the FAQ thread. they want to explain a story and having multi endings cant explain the story of lara the way they intend.

Does it mean she won't get off the island(because it's open world game)?

you will get an email every time someone replies on the thread you subscribed to. Doesn't always work how it should but it does the job.
This is what it says at the end of every message: "There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again."

I didn't get message,however i send link of thread on my email,so now all i have to do is click on the link,and i see if somebody reply or not :D

Driber
21st Dec 2012, 15:08

Are you sure you have it set to "instant email notification" and not "through user CP" or something?

Shaikh
21st Dec 2012, 15:16
No way.

One Lara, one story, one ending.

Jurre
21st Dec 2012, 15:49
I don't mind multiple endings but the question is always how this is going to effect the next game.
If you for example have to choose between saving the live of Roth or Sam, who's gonna be your best buddy in the next game? You can't have people be emotionaly invested in the characters to make that decision actually have some gravity and then discard both characters in the next game.

larafan25
21st Dec 2012, 16:02
We know this game will not be having multiple endings, and TBH I don't want something where the decisions I make in one game affect the experience in another. So in that sense I'd rather not. Though I voted maybe.

Coralie
21st Dec 2012, 17:12
No way.

One Lara, one story, one ending.

Think the same ! :D

Lara Croft 1993
21st Dec 2012, 18:18
Are you sure you have it set to "instant email notification" and not "through user CP" or something?

Yup,Im pretty sure i did.
When i make new thread i set it on instant email notification.
Here is screenshot(i hope i made it right)

jezdct_hjhjh.JPG

'til later :D

Driber
21st Dec 2012, 19:38
Yup,Im pretty sure i did.
When i make new thread i set it on instant email notification.
Here is screenshot(i hope i made it right)

jezdct_hjhjh.JPG

'til later :D

what's your email host?

Lara Croft 1993
21st Dec 2012, 20:38
what's your email host?

Im not 100% sure is this what you looking,it's @zg.t-com.hr
However i change my email address,so that could be a problem.
Here is my current "host" @xnet.hr

Hope this helps :)

Weemanply109
21st Dec 2012, 20:45
Multiple endings just make's the story arc more complicated for the devs to live upto in the sequel, so I'll vote "maybe" if somehow both the multiple endings don't have a huge effect on what could happen in the next game without creating a "Mass Effect" like dynamic story progression. It just doesn't seem like CD could pull it off and would create a lot of loopholes in the story.

pomeranianpuppy
21st Dec 2012, 21:39
...Where you get control of Lara again and break out of the asylum using them island learnt killer moves. once outside she nicks someones Ducati to make her getaway,
then stops to steal some slinky tight Lara Crofty clothes then...i'm overthinking this too much aren't i?
whats the cure for Lara Croft obsession?
oh forget it i don't want to be cured:naughty:

pidipidi39
21st Dec 2012, 21:59
I want ONE dark but happy ending :D

Cristiavano
22nd Dec 2012, 03:36
No becuase it COULD affect the storyline in the future, but If there were different endings, It would have to all be similar, but she just does a different action.

oldboy2003
22nd Dec 2012, 07:54
NO MULTIPLE ENDINGS!!!!

XylophoneDealers
22nd Dec 2012, 09:03
Yeah I reckon you should have the one ending but make it defining and dramatic, and of course dark is always welcome. Something terrible is gonna happen to either Sam or Roth.

Metalrocks
22nd Dec 2012, 09:41
well, since the game is very dark, i do expect a more dramatic ending. that lara is forced to leave someone behind to save her self or others. we saw roth having 2 guns, so either he dies and lara pics up his guns or he give them to her and dies after that or says he is done, wants to retire and gives his guns to lara as a gift.

only 2 ways to find out:
1. play the game
2. watch the ending on youtube :p

pidipidi39
22nd Dec 2012, 10:29
Guys, you should stop speculating...
You know how will it end if you continue :p

JaxGames
22nd Dec 2012, 10:39
No no no NO MULTIPLE Endings! it will just ruin the story.

MagnaBass
22nd Dec 2012, 11:05
Multiple endings would not work for an origin story because people would not get the same experience and the feeling of completion on the first play through would be ruined.

daletucker
22nd Dec 2012, 11:13
No. I don't want to be confused in Tomb Raider 2 when the ending I didn't chose is canon.

pomeranianpuppy
22nd Dec 2012, 12:35
I voted no though i hope it doesn't just end with her getting off island i hope we get a little taster of what direction they'll be heading in sequels

Metalrocks
22nd Dec 2012, 12:58
I voted no though i hope it doesn't just end with her getting off island i hope we get a little taster of what direction they'll be heading in sequels

all we know from karl is, that it should give us the feeling that thats the lara we know.

its obvious they wont spoil the ending but i think we can more or less figure out how it will end.
i think we all agree that she gets off the island and that she is mentally tougher then earlier in the game.
but how all this will happen, thats something we can only speculate about.