PDA

View Full Version : she looked too mhm?

Cristiavano
12th Jun 2011, 06:40
I don't know. I haven't been keeping up with tomb raider 9 lately. I just watched teh trailer. i got mixed feelings. She looked japanese, but in some scenes she looked like underworld lara. It was interesting but the thing i disliked was the voice. it didn't have saucyness to it. Because it seemed to me lara was telling her life story through that trailer so i would assume she had expierience..

the music at the ending sounded like one of those kung fu panda movies or something. like kung fu ??? i don't know i'm just confused

AdobeArtist
12th Jun 2011, 06:59
"looked too mhm"

I seriously have no idea what that means :scratch:

Cristiavano
12th Jun 2011, 07:09
"looked too mhm"

I seriously have no idea what that means :scratch:

i have mixed feelings there's just something about her that doesn't feel right, and oh my gosh i saw this

http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6318948/

it's really scary the gameplay though the thing that bugs me is the way she jumps with the torch how does she do that? and she can jump REALLY far

Andy64
12th Jun 2011, 12:36
I don't know what mhm means either. I agree though that while the environment in the trailer looks so good Lara doesn't look that great and that voice just doesn't fit at all.

WinterSoldierLTE
12th Jun 2011, 12:42
Well, as far as looks go I personaly think she looks fine and I'm actually blown away by how realistic she appears. But, I grew up in the 16 bit gameing era, so PS1 graphics and characters still mesmerize me, so take that for what it's worth. As far as the music sounding "kung fu"-ish, the game is set on an island near Japan, so that could be why you got that vibe from it. And the composer may be Japanease, so that could factor in as well (he or she still hasn't been announced yet that I know of. I'm crossing my fingers for Akira Yamaoka.). I personaly didn't get a "kung fu" or Japanease vibe from it, but that's me. Reckon I'll go have another listen.

Elliot Kane
12th Jun 2011, 15:26
Do you mean 'meh' there, Lyle? As in, you aren't too impressed?

I have to agree on the voice acting. Sounded stilted, unnatural, and like the actress was trying far too hard to be dramatic. Can't agree on the rest, though. I don't think Lara looked Japanese at all, nor did I hear 'kung fu music' (Though I'm not 100% sure I know what you mean by that).

dark7angel
12th Jun 2011, 16:17
I wasn't impressed by the voice actress the first time I saw the trailer, but that was purely because it was something new and unexpected! But after rewatching the trailer several times, the voice has grown on me and I love it!!! She sounds great!

As for Lara looking Japanese, as I said on another thread, I don't see it at all!!!! I really don't think that Lara has any asian features. I think she looks beautiful and finally she looks realistic!!

As for the music, I really don't get any "kung fu" vibe... not even sure what you mean with that... personally, I LOVE the new score! I think it sounds great! It's very strong!

Cristiavano
12th Jun 2011, 16:19
Do you mean 'meh' there, Lyle? As in, you aren't too impressed?

I have to agree on the voice acting. Sounded stilted, unnatural, and like the actress was trying far too hard to be dramatic. Can't agree on the rest, though. I don't think Lara looked Japanese at all, nor did I hear 'kung fu music' (Though I'm not 100% sure I know what you mean by that).

i am impressed, its just different something doesn't fit and i saw the game play video demo it seemed to unrealistic. the trailer or whatever you call it she seemed too inexpierienced because i noticed she was telling her story through that trailer on how she came to be so i would assume she had more expierience. anyway gameplay looked too unusual she jumped really far! and it made me wonder how she could hold on to a torch and jump at teh same time if she doesn't have that much experience and also the torch did seem unrealistic how is she able to light it up again after it was wet? it seemed she used the same wet torch and relit it let's hope they fix that...

Cristiavano
12th Jun 2011, 16:21
I wasn't impressed by the voice actress the first time I saw the trailer, but that was purely because it was something new and unexpected! But after rewatching the trailer several times, the voice has grown on me and I love it!!! She sounds great!

As for Lara looking Japanese, as I said on another thread, I don't see it at all!!!! I really don't think that Lara has any asian features. I think she looks beautiful and finally she looks realistic!!

As for the music, I really don't get any "kung fu" vibe... not even sure what you mean with that... personally, I LOVE the new score! I think it sounds great! It's very strong!

it does sound strong but i don't know especially in teh trailer with the headphones on her bunkbed she looked like those people with highlights i keep on thinking the wires are highlights. anyway i think the reason why lara looks "asian" in some parts is the lighting and angles. I noticed britney spears when she was younger had that bit asian looked in her eyes but overall caucasian.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_gvj_9Tj6SFA/SshzrhXrPaI/AAAAAAAABvE/F_fwgc-HEho/s400/baby-one-more-time.jpg

d1n0_xD
12th Jun 2011, 16:29
i am impressed, its just different something doesn't fit and i saw the game play video demo it seemed to unrealistic. the trailer or whatever you call it she seemed too inexpierienced because i noticed she was telling her story through that trailer on how she came to be so i would assume she had more expierience. anyway gameplay looked too unusual she jumped really far! and it made me wonder how she could hold on to a torch and jump at teh same time if she doesn't have that much experience and also the torch did seem unrealistic how is she able to light it up again after it was wet? it seemed she used the same wet torch and relit it let's hope they fix that...

Have you guys ever heard about the 'uncanny valley'? xD

Come on, the torch, seriously? It would be stupid that you'd have to wait for, like, half an hour for your torch to dry. It's a game, imagine it's a magical fire that sets everything on fire :P Too much realism isn't good :D

And, I think everybody can jump and grab to a ledge while holding something in their hands :D BUT, if you're going there, I saw that she was touching her spike wound, and she jumped easily, that is where you should argue :P But, I don't mind that either :D

Natla
12th Jun 2011, 16:48
Weird. I was jus reading about the uncanny valley.

WinterSoldierLTE
12th Jun 2011, 16:57
Yeah, mate. End of the day it's a video game, and video games are in their nature an escape from and suspension of reality. Granted, video games have become more realistic over the last decade and a half, yeah, but I don't think anyone wants a video game that's 100% like real life. I think everyone would just go outside and make their own adventure if they did (which I'm not discouraging, btw. Nice to go outside and get some fresh air and shunshine now and then).

Natla
12th Jun 2011, 17:46
Am I "mate"? Is that good? Not sure of the usage.

WinterSoldierLTE
12th Jun 2011, 17:49
"Mate" as in "buddy". Was adding on to what Dino said and addressing Lyle. Next time I'll go with a @whoever. Sorry to confuse.

Cristiavano
12th Jun 2011, 17:52
Have you guys ever heard about the 'uncanny valley'? xD

Come on, the torch, seriously? It would be stupid that you'd have to wait for, like, half an hour for your torch to dry. It's a game, imagine it's a magical fire that sets everything on fire :P Too much realism isn't good :D

And, I think everybody can jump and grab to a ledge while holding something in their hands :D BUT, if you're going there, I saw that she was touching her spike wound, and she jumped easily, that is where you should argue :P But, I don't mind that either :D

she could have at least found another stick to burn unless teh torch had oil on it then that would be more realistic

Elliot Kane
12th Jun 2011, 19:58
Naptha coated torches FTW! :D Water wouldn't put those out! That's what I'm gonna tell myself! :D

MrTwenty6point2
13th Jun 2011, 00:02
I did think about the whole lighting the torch thing after it had gotten wet, and how far she could jump with it or while being wounded. Yea these things are a bit farfetchd but hopefully they add to the gameplay value more than detract from it in the final version. It is a a game after all like so many people have said. So I could most likely look past these few things.

WinterSoldierLTE
13th Jun 2011, 00:43
Naptha coated torches FTW! :D Water wouldn't put those out! That's what I'm gonna tell myself! :D

:lol:

And welcome to the forums MrTwenty6!

LadyRufina
18th Jul 2011, 14:44
I think the voice actress for Lara has done an amazing job. It must be really hard to voice act but I think she sounds like a realistic, vulnerable 21-year-old woman. Remember she is scared and naive, she shouldn't have a 'sauceiness' to her voice yet. Also, she doesn't look japanese at all, she looks beautiful and realistic. I have a good idea about the who the voice actress is by the way...

dark7angel
18th Jul 2011, 14:53
I think the voice actress for Lara has done an amazing job. It must be really hard to voice act but I think she sounds like a realistic, vulnerable 21-year-old woman. Remember she is scared and naive, she shouldn't have a 'sauceiness' to her voice yet. Also, she doesn't look japanese at all, she looks beautiful and realistic. I have a good idea about the who the voice actress is by the way...

I agree wit you!

But please do tell, who do you think is the voice actress?!?!?

LadyRufina
18th Jul 2011, 15:16
Ok: I am quite sure the voice actress is Tamzin Merchant, you know, the one who plays Katherine Howard off 'The Tudors'? It fits; She's an up-and-coming actress, she's english, young and hasn't been doing much for a while...

dark7angel
18th Jul 2011, 15:54
Ok: I am quite sure the voice actress is Tamzin Merchant, you know, the one who plays Katherine Howard off 'The Tudors'? It fits; She's an up-and-coming actress, she's english, young and hasn't been doing much for a while...

I can hear some similarities between her voice and Lara's, but I think she lacks this rasp that the voice actress has!!!

I guess we'll have to wait and see...

d1n0_xD
18th Jul 2011, 16:04
Yeah, sometimes I hear Lara, other times I don't... xD If she could only say those word that were in the trailer, we'd know XD

P.S. I see some comments on YouTube like "Lara Croft?" and stuff :D

LadyRufina
18th Jul 2011, 17:26
She doesn't sound identical to the voice in the trailer because she's putting on a sharper voice but she sounds a lot like Tamzin in the demo...

sierra xb
18th Jul 2011, 23:49
I have never heard of Tazmin before, so now I have to go look her up on youtube :)

IvanaKC
19th Jul 2011, 13:33

It could be her. I guess in the trailer she had to sound dramatic so her voice is not identical as in interviews, but great guess. :thumb:

larafan25
19th Jul 2011, 17:47
She doesn't look damn well Japanese.

Duckie1996
25th Jul 2011, 17:05
In my opinion, I think she kind of looks like Princess Fiona from Shrek when she looks at the mirror in the trailer? :\

http://bsbingo.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/fionashrek.jpg compared to http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-xKJWEJtF0eo/Tek5GCwUHQI/AAAAAAAANCs/s7f-SwvU70w/s400/tomb-raider-2012-reboot-video-game-image-01.jpg

LadyRufina
25th Jul 2011, 17:09
In my opinion, I think she kind of looks like Princess Fiona from Shrek when she looks at the mirror in the trailer? :\

I don't get that comparison :scratch:

sierra xb
25th Jul 2011, 17:54
I don't get that comparison :scratch:

Sorry, neither do I. The face, hair, eyes, expression, mood...all different. The only similarity that I can tell is that they are both cg.

dark7angel
25th Jul 2011, 18:22
Sorry, neither do I. The face, hair, eyes, expression, mood...all different. The only similarity that I can tell is that they are both cg.

I agree with this!!! There's really nothing similar between the two of them!!! :scratch:

Driber
25th Jul 2011, 20:35
Nope, can't say I see any similarity between them, either.

Duckie1996
27th Jul 2011, 11:48
I know it's not the closest resemblance but I thought when Fiona has the same emotion as Lara in Shrek, I was trying to find the picture of the same emotion to resemble it, but I couldn't find the same emotion. :(

Cristiavano
3rd Aug 2011, 04:52
She doesn't look damn well Japanese.

my opinion changed on that it was shock when i posted this

GoggleboxUK
22nd Aug 2011, 22:03
I think the trailer does exactly what it should do; give a glimpse of what is coming and leave a lot of unanswered questions.

I think Eidos et al must be aware that there has to be a monumental difference between the Lara we see at the start of the game and the Lara that emerges at the end, that's the whole point of the reboot story.

If we'd seen a trailer with a kick-ass, saucy Lara right from the off then that would be entirely wrong in my opinion. What we want is a totally inexperienced, somewhat pampered little rich girl who discovers something within herself during the course of the game.

Hopefully there'll be reference to her mother and father's ability and will to survive and this being innate in Lara too and circumstance drags it into her reality.

She needs to get hurt, learn, overcome, experience and emerge a whole lot closer to the Lara we already know.