PDA

View Full Version : Does new Lara look Japanese?

Natla
10th Jun 2011, 19:32
Sorry, but I had to post this;
< link not freely accessible and therefore removed >

I'm not sure New Lara looks Japanese exactly, but to me she looks a bit like a character in a Final Fantasy film. Does that make her look Japanese in some way? What do you think?

Error96_
10th Jun 2011, 19:51
I noticed that there is a bit in the trailer when Lara is in her room that she looks really Japanesse. I think it will only be that one brief cutscene angle rather than the whole game.

d1n0_xD
10th Jun 2011, 19:54
That idea sort of came to my mind yesterday but it quickly faded away... XD From the trailer maaaaaaybe a little, you know, in that scene where her face is reflected in the mirror, but overall she doesn't look Japanese, at least to me xD

P.S. I couldn't view that link, I have to register and I don't feel like it :P

Edit: And yeah, what Error96 said ^^

Natla
10th Jun 2011, 19:59
Oops. Sorry about the link. It's a TR forum and that's what they were talking about ...

chriss_99
10th Jun 2011, 21:10
She does look a bit Japanese in the trailer but it's not a striking resemblance.

Maybe she looks like that because the visual artist is from SE?

Jerion
10th Jun 2011, 21:27
I think there's a slightly eurasian look to her, sure. I wouldn't say it's anything significant.

IvanaKC
10th Jun 2011, 22:04
She does look a bit Japanese in the trailer but it's not a striking resemblance.

Maybe she looks like that because the visual artist is from SE?

And when I said I see too much Final Fantasy in her face, nobody was listening to me! :mad2:

And I still don't get one thing: how can you be so calm about that fact? I'm trying to ignore the fact she looks different, but now that I see I'm not the only one, I won't anymore. Do you all still think that SE buying Eidos was a good thing?

Silvermoth
10th Jun 2011, 22:42
Not really a big deal Ivana. I'll wait to I've played the game before making a decision.

I did think she looks Japanese but that's fine. I think Asia is a huge market for gaming and it's really no different than anime characters having flamboyantly coloured hair to make the characters appear raceless.

dark7angel
10th Jun 2011, 22:46
Are you guys talking about the in-game Lara or the trailer version??

Personally, I don't really see Japanese features in the new Lara model...

As for the trailer version, I guess it has a Final Fantasy vibe but not as in "it looks Japanese" but more in the graphic style that's very unique to Visual Works Studios.

d1n0_xD
10th Jun 2011, 22:49
Are you guys talking about the in-game Lara or the trailer version??

Personally, I don't really see Japanese features in the new Lara model...

As for the trailer version, I guess it has a Final Fantasy vibe but not as in "it looks Japanese" but more in the graphic style that's very unique to Visual Works Studios.

Word!

And I don't think the in-game Lara will look Japanese, we have screenshots, don't see Japanese there :D

IvanaKC
10th Jun 2011, 22:56
Not really a big deal Ivana. I'll wait to I've played the game before making a decision.

How would you feel if you have to look at something you don't like the whole time while playing? (I'm talking about the in game Lara.) She is not ugly, she is beautiful. But she just doesn't look like Lara to me. :hmm:

Jaheria
11th Jun 2011, 00:03
Sorry, but I had to post this;

I'm not sure New Lara looks Japanese exactly, but to me she looks a bit like a character in a Final Fantasy film. Does that make her look Japanese in some way? What do you think?

omg XD I thought that when I was watching the E3 trailer. She does look like an FF character and I'm not sure I like it....

Driber
11th Jun 2011, 09:17
How would you feel if you have to look at something you don't like the whole time while playing?

You don't have to. Then don't play it. Simple :cool:

SE buying Eidos is absolutely irrelevant here and off topic.

And for the record, to me TR9 Lara doesn't look Asian at all.

JCpies
11th Jun 2011, 12:37
She just looks slender, and younger. Maybe she'll grow some more muscle during the course of the game.

Angy1996
11th Jun 2011, 15:26
my opinion is that she looks prettier than ever!! she doesnt look like an asian girl at all she is just too young!!! her cheeks are more full and that was a good move!!! when we were younger we all had a more baby face style...guys lets not complain all the time about the new lara...this is something new and we have to accept it whether we want it or not cause thats how lara is going to look like from now on...

LC is Me
12th Jun 2011, 03:49
Dear god....

She doesn't look Japanese at all.
She might have a slight curve in her eyes. But so do a lot of non asian people.

Can we not move on from this....

QiX
12th Jun 2011, 04:43
By japanese you mean anime/manga character I suppose, because she's obviously caucasian as always. She lost the huge eyes from Core days, her nose no longer looks like Michael Jackson's, her waist/hip ratio finally resembles the human anatomy. I'd say that this Lara is the first one that doesn't look like a manga character in 15 years.

Denis..
12th Jun 2011, 04:55
natla guy mustn't mean japanese exactly,
he must be meaning hey eyes, but my eyes have cat's shape too..
does it make me japanese?

Natla
12th Jun 2011, 08:52
natla guy mustn't mean japanese exactly,
he must be meaning hey eyes, but my eyes have cat's shape too..
does it make me japanese?

No more than it makes me a guy :)

Andy64
12th Jun 2011, 12:50
She lost the huge eyes from Core days, her nose no longer looks like Michael Jackson's, her waist/hip ratio finally resembles the human anatomy. I'd say that this Lara is the first one that doesn't look like a manga character in 15 years.

I prefer the Lara we had before by a long long way.

I think though that everyone is thinking more of the trailer than in game Lara when coming up with the Japanesse comparison. When you see the gameplay Lara she doesn't look Japanesse at all.

dark7angel
12th Jun 2011, 14:07
By japanese you mean anime/manga character I suppose, because she's obviously caucasian as always. She lost the huge eyes from Core days, her nose no longer looks like Michael Jackson's, her waist/hip ratio finally resembles the human anatomy. I'd say that this Lara is the first one that doesn't look like a manga character in 15 years.

This! I'm so glad she finally has a more realistic look and not the cartoonish style she had before!!!!

Angy1996
12th Jun 2011, 18:15
this... i totaly agree with this she looks way more realistic than she ever was before!!!

Natla
13th Jun 2011, 06:33
Remember, this is a reboot. Although Lara was born and educated in England, maybe her parents were Japanese?

QiX
13th Jun 2011, 06:38
Good point. We forgot to forget everything we knew about her. I'll try to remember to forget from now on :D

jaywalker2309
13th Jun 2011, 08:52
Remember, this is a reboot. Although Lara was born and educated in England, maybe her parents were Japanese?

Japanese parents, no.. the reasons for her being on that ship have been `discussed` in interviews etc.. theres no `family` visiting going on.. :)

Angy1996
13th Jun 2011, 10:29
Japanese parents, no.. the reasons for her being on that ship have been `discussed` in interviews etc.. theres no `family` visiting going on.. :)
oh you mean no family again??? her parents are dead ??? :confused:

jaywalker2309
13th Jun 2011, 10:31
oh you mean no family again??? her parents are dead ??? :confused:

dont get how u come to that conclusion. was just saying that someone had suggested maybe her parents japanese now, which is just silly. so i was simply saying shes not on a `visit family from japan` trip..

Natla
13th Jun 2011, 11:44
dont get how u come to that conclusion. was just saying that someone had suggested maybe her parents japanese now, which is just silly. so i was simply saying shes not on a `visit family from japan` trip..

The only reason why you might know that my question was "just silly" is if you knew something about the "reboot" we don't, in which case spit it out. :rolleyes: People who come onto these forums and try to tease the fans with their "secret VIP insider knowledge" are just irritating. :hmm:

Besides I thought we were starting from Year Zero like Pol Pot, and all previous history had been erased? If not her parents, why couldn't her grandparents or some other ancestor have been Japanese or Chinese or something? It's a perfectly fair question IMO. :rasp:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
13th Jun 2011, 11:44
No, I don't think Lara looks Japanese... she's looking perfect to me.
Can't wait to play the game, I think it will be the best one yet. :cool:

jaywalker2309
13th Jun 2011, 11:47
The only reason why you might know that my question was "just silly" is if you knew something about the "reboot" we don't, in which case spit it out. :rolleyes: People who come onto these forums and try to tease the fans with their "secret VIP insider knowledge" are just irritating. :hmm:

Besides I thought we were starting from Year Zero like Pol Pot, and all previous history had been erased? If not her parents, why couldn't her grandparents or some other ancestor have been Japanese or Chinese or something? It's a perfectly fair question IMO. :rasp:

secret vip insider knowledge? erm i work here.. cant help that

as for saying its silly, its cos regardless of knowing something or not saying `maybe her parents are japanese` is just silly :) and doesnt fit into any logical discussion.. :) reboot maybe, but doesnt mean they going all `eastern` on things..

Driber
13th Jun 2011, 12:30
Sorry Natla, but I also agree that it's silly to think Lara's parents are suddenly Japanese. That would make no sense whatsoever.

The majority of people do not see any Asian characteristics in her face and I think it's time you accept that and let it go.

People who come onto these forums and try to tease the fans with their "secret VIP insider knowledge" are just irritating.

I would advice you that if another (staff) member irritates you, you keep it to yourself.

Please familiarize yourself with our TOU section about personal attacks.

d1n0_xD
13th Jun 2011, 12:31
as for saying its silly, its cos regardless of knowing something or not saying `maybe her parents are japanese` is just silly :) and doesnt fit into any logical discussion.. :) reboot maybe, but doesnt mean they going all `eastern` on things..

Yeah, I mean, Lara went off for an adventure, and it happens to be Japanese island, end of story XD

_awestruck_
13th Jun 2011, 15:00
I'm noticing a trend with this OP...alot of opening threads asking almost pointless questions that basically does nothing but express your cynicism for this game...

But no. She doesn't look Japanese, and for God's sake her parents aren't Japanese either.

Katie_Fleming
13th Jun 2011, 15:36
I have to agree with this topic's title. She definitely looks fairly Asian to me. In fact, when I showed my family the new pics of her they mentioned that as well. Most non-Tomb Raider players I've talked to said they would never have recognized her as Lara, and I have to agree. First time I saw the Game Informer cover I had no idea it was supposed to be Lara.

Fav Lara model still has to be AOD for me :)

My two cents :)

Angy1996
13th Jun 2011, 17:48

oohh sorry then my mistake...i have heard that one somewhere but i dont remember where thats why i asked...sorry :/

LC is Me
14th Jun 2011, 13:39

But it was a silly question.
Especially considering people are so wah wah wah she looks Japanese when she doesn't.
They kept her British. She looks nothing close to being from any Asian country or even British born Chinese.

Every single time a game comes out...

angelus0901
14th Jun 2011, 18:52
She does look a bit japanese, but I can't believe how HOT she is. She's really beautiful and hot. She's hot. Have I mentioned she's hot?!?! :D

d1n0_xD
14th Jun 2011, 20:29
She does look a bit japanese, but I can't believe how HOT she is. She's really beautiful and hot. She's hot. Have I mentioned she's hot?!?! :D

HAHAHHAHHA :lol: :lol:
:thumb:

Odonata
18th Jun 2011, 15:54
I don't really see "Japanese" in her face.
Speaking of eyes, my sister has almond shaped, slightly hooded eyes. Most of my immediate family has these shaped eyes, but my sister even moreso. She used to be teased in elementary school that she was Chinese. We don't have any asian ancestory in our background. As a matter of fact, most of our background is English, with some Irish and some Native American.

I just think it's a result of the developers making her more realistic and trying to keep her facial characteristics intact. Even though she looked good before, her old facial porportions were a little unrealistic. I do miss Lara's brown eye color with a glint of that gold/red she used to have.

d1n0_xD
18th Jun 2011, 23:03
http://www.culch.ie/images/BritneySpears003.jpg

I think this pretty much covers it, someone posted it earlier, she may, on occasion, look like Japanese, but she doesn't all the time :D

Alex Ivey
18th Jun 2011, 23:09
Hmm, I wouldn't say she looks Japanese, but I think she may look a bit Japanese-inspired. Like the OP said, something a bit like a Final Fantasy character. Not a bad thing for a female character, but I do want to be able to tell the male and female characters apart, :)

Anyway, since Square Enix acquired Eidos/Crystal Dynamics, I think they should have them work on a 'real' Parasite Eve game gosh-darn-it! With the artistic direction they are taking Tomb Raider, I think they could do something great with Parasite Eve as well.

The_Hylden
19th Jun 2011, 00:44
Look up at the banner. She doesn't look Asian in the trailer to me, either. She's definitely white. Only a moment in the animation when she looks down at he walkman and later as the water swallows her up can I possibly see that she might be seen as having an Asian look, but that's fleeting. I don't see Asian features, or the anime/Final Fantasy-Ero-Asian animated style, either.

VOLCOM20lovesLARA
19th Jun 2011, 02:24
there's a huge amount of comments on YouTube saying that they think Lara looks like a character from Final Fantasy, actually. but in all honesty, i love her new looks. i think that with a new adventure, Lara deserves a make-over. she definitely does NOT look Japanese to me :P

LC is Me
19th Jun 2011, 03:01
I find it a bit comical that everyone is all "She looks like a FF character" and Square Enix is just off to the side like " :hmm: ".

Alex Ivey
19th Jun 2011, 07:30
Heh. Didn't realize this before: From the "Making the Cover" podcast, I knew Crystal worked with some Japanese company to have the CG Lara made. I didn't know that it was a Square Enix subsidiary called Square VisualWorks, which makes all the Final Fantasy FMVs. Might explain why people think she looks a bit Final Fantasy-like.

IvanaKC
19th Jun 2011, 12:12
Heh. Didn't realize this before: From the "Making the Cover" podcast, I knew Crystal worked with some Japanese company to have the CG Lara made. I didn't know that it was a Square Enix subsidiary called Square VisualWorks, which makes all the Final Fantasy FMVs. Might explain why people think she looks a bit Final Fantasy-like.

I was afraid that might happen. Even though she looks realistic, people still can't see real Lara Croft face. To be honest, neither do I. On pictures and wallpapers she is beautiful, but when I saw her in trailer, I was like ":eek: that's not the same Lara".

Vickram101
19th Jun 2011, 15:44
She kinda looks japanese. To me the new Lara Croft is almost identical to Lana Lane from Smallville.

Silvermoth
20th Jun 2011, 09:52
She kinda looks japanese. To me the new Lara Croft is almost identical to Lana Lane from Smallville.

Lana Lang

RosePetals
20th Jun 2011, 14:38
CGI-Lara looks Eurasian because the graphic artists are from SE. Notice her hair which looks like it came from a Final Fantasy game.

In-game Lara looks very British though. I guess the reason why her eyes look smaller is because of how her cheeks are fuller now. That, and she's not wearing makeup around her eyes like TRU Lara.

IvanaKC
20th Jun 2011, 22:36
CGI-Lara looks Eurasian because the graphic artists are from SE. Notice her hair which looks like it came from a Final Fantasy game.

In-game Lara looks very British though. I guess the reason why her eyes look smaller is because of how her cheeks are fuller now. That, and she's not wearing makeup around her eyes like TRU Lara.

That is true, I said the same thing for the hair.

But make-up? Where did you see make-up in TRU? :scratch: I would say Lara wears make up in new trailer, but not in game. Same for every Tomb Raider.

Driber
21st Jun 2011, 08:15
But make-up? Where did you see make-up in TRU? :scratch: I would say Lara wears make up in new trailer, but not in game. Same for every Tomb Raider.

You're joking, right?

Lara wears make-up in every single TR game:

Lipstick since TR1 and eye make-up since AOD.

WinterSoldierLTE
21st Jun 2011, 10:11
Man that's a massive sunburn she's got going on there in that TR2 pic. Bet that was painfull.

Vickram101
21st Jun 2011, 13:09
Lana Lang

Thanks for the correction. :D

Silvermoth
22nd Jun 2011, 10:20
You're welcome :)

IvanaKC
22nd Jun 2011, 11:47
You're joking, right?

Lara wears make-up in every single TR game:

Lipstick since TR1 and eye make-up since AOD.

No, I'm not joking. Look at TRA Lara, I really don't see any make-up. In Legend maybe and in Underworld only her lips. Her eyelashes would be much bigger with make-up.

pomeranianpuppy
28th Jun 2011, 18:33
laras a british icon and we want her face to reflect that .i like her to look like angelina myself

Sophiafan
28th Jun 2011, 20:32
laras a british icon and we want her face to reflect that .i like her to look like angelina myself

I second that

Greenas
28th Jun 2011, 23:07
I second that

I don't. :rasp:

LC is Me
30th Jun 2011, 01:44
No, I'm not joking. Look at TRA Lara, I really don't see any make-up. In Legend maybe and in Underworld only her lips. Her eyelashes would be much bigger with make-up.
Sure looks like makeup to me, even if it's only a light application.
It's a lot easier to notice in-game as well.

http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/814/814491/lara-croft-tomb-raider-anniversary--20070822033730944_640w.jpg

http://i1-games.softpedia-static.com/screenshots/Tomb-Raider-Underworld-Demo_2.jpg

angelus0901
30th Jun 2011, 09:23
What are you guys talking about, Lara doesn't wear makeup. That's all natural... :p :rasp:

d1n0_xD
30th Jun 2011, 11:05
What are you guys talking about, Lara doesn't wear makeup. That's all natural... :p :rasp:

Femme Naturale haha :D

Greenas
30th Jun 2011, 15:58
Femme Naturale haha :D

Lol, :lol:.

However the new Lara's preferred make-up seems to be blood and dirt.

IvanaKC
30th Jun 2011, 16:06
Sure looks like makeup to me, even if it's only a light application.
It's a lot easier to notice in-game as well.

How..what a.. am I blind?!? I don't see any make-up and I'm a girl for God's sake! Make-up is not only lipstick.
Who is crazy enough to wear make-up while exploring? Lara was too often wet, not even Max factor wouldn't last that long. :D

d1n0_xD
30th Jun 2011, 16:16
However the new Lara's preferred make-up seems to be blood and dirt.

I'm all for that make-up :thumb: :p

Cristiavano
30th Jun 2011, 17:41

i always found the TRU lara pretty now looking back i'm thinking what was i thinking this New Lara Croft looks amazing i've gotten used to hear look now. And TRU Lara had WAY to huge hands and feet :/

JRod108
30th Jun 2011, 18:00
Geez people, just because her eyes are a tad slanted? How does that make one Japanese? Y'all have literally taken one aspect of her face and compounded it into making her a whole other ethnicity. Have you guys seen what Japanese people look like? Do you all remember how much y'all moaned about Underworld Lara? That she looked forty? Now you all have seemed to thrown her in with the others like you've accepted her as Lara and that this one is now the designated Lara to b**** about. Every time TR comes out, Lara never seems to look like Lara does she? Next game, this Lara will be Lara, but the next one will look Hispanic or something.

WinterSoldierLTE
30th Jun 2011, 22:38
How..what a.. am I blind?!? I don't see any make-up and I'm a girl for God's sake! Make-up is not only lipstick.
Who is crazy enough to wear make-up while exploring? Lara was too often wet, not even Max factor wouldn't last that long. :D

:lol:I'm picturing her getting out of the water in "Lost Valley" with makeup runs like The Crow. God, that's funny!

IvanaKC
2nd Jul 2011, 21:34
:lol:I'm picturing her getting out of the water in "Lost Valley" with makeup runs like The Crow. God, that's funny!

Isn't that right? :lol: Funny but true.

LC is Me
4th Jul 2011, 17:14
Who is crazy enough to wear make-up while exploring? Lara was too often wet, not even Max factor wouldn't last that long. :DSeriously?
I wasn't referring to her lips. But ok. I don't wear make up, I am a girl, and I can clearly see her wearing it, especially around her eyes in the Underworld pic.

d1n0_xD
4th Jul 2011, 17:20
And another girl on the forum which I mistook for a guy :eek: :p

Driber
4th Jul 2011, 20:46
dino, don't you know, the old days of the internet where there were no women, and just men pretending to be women, are over.

This is the web 2.0

Now there are only women pretending to be men :D

d1n0_xD
4th Jul 2011, 22:49
I've been living a lie :eek: :p

JRod108
5th Jul 2011, 05:21
I've been living a lie :eek: :p

Ha, I just had a serious lol on that. You know, the kind that you actually do it, instead of putting the three letters there in courtesy.... :lol:

Yeah, anyway, one could view that Lara is merely exfoliating with all the dirt on her face.... Huh, I suppose dirty Lara isn't all that masculine. Just imagine how smooooth her face is going to be after this whole ordeal.

Srosa
6th Jul 2011, 00:17
Yes she does look Japanese indeed, but and she's very very pretty!!

QiX
6th Jul 2011, 04:43
This Lara looks japanese:

http://amazingdata.com/mediadata23/Image/cool_amazing_odd_fun_weird_china-lara-croft_200907231832222121.jpg

TR9 Lara does not.

Driber
6th Jul 2011, 07:52
width='100'

^ hehe, nice :D

Vickram101
8th Jul 2011, 19:02
I think Underworld Lara Croft looks like Mechelle Rodriguez:

Driber
8th Jul 2011, 19:29
Vickram101, in the future please use the forum BB code [thumb] for very large images to prevent the forum from stretching out on lower resolutions. I went ahead and fixed it in your post. You can read how to use this code here (http://forums.eidosgames.com/misc.php?do=bbcode#thumb).

You can also use my Forum Thumbnailer tool (http://driber.net/os/forumthumb.php) to do this quicker.

WinterSoldierLTE
9th Jul 2011, 00:01
Hang on. What's a girl doing in "Playgirl", let alone one in CosPlay?

Driber
9th Jul 2011, 07:26
You're thinking of the American Playgirl magazine, which is something different :p

*Wonders how WinterSoldier knows that in the first place* :scratch:

:lol:

WinterSoldierLTE
9th Jul 2011, 11:59
Back during the O.J. Simpson murder trial years ago Kato Kaelin (anyone remember him?) was all over the news for posing in it. Plus Peter Steele of Type O Negative posed in it once, and that made quite a few of the heavy metal tabloids at the time.

Vickram101
9th Jul 2011, 13:01
Vickram101, in the future please use the forum BB code [thumb] for very large images to prevent the forum from stretching out on lower resolutions. I went ahead and fixed it in your post. You can read how to use this code here (http://forums.eidosgames.com/misc.php?do=bbcode#thumb).

You can also use my Forum Thumbnailer tool (http://driber.net/os/forumthumb.php) to do this quicker.

Thanks for the fix. XD I thought i had to live with it being big. LOL

rafaelluik
5th Nov 2011, 03:26
I hope I'm not late for the party! I got to take this topic back...

My opinion is exactly the opposite! Whereas Lara has some unique face traits on the previous games that make me think of a far Asian family line, on the trailer "Turning Point" she looks just like a normal girl! I mean one of those girls from California we see on TV series. I know her face isn't the same on every game to date, but I'd prefer to see Lara a little more like it was recently than this new whatever girl... Even her voice on the trailer is incomparable to what I was used to hear...

2kool4u
13th Nov 2011, 21:57
No not at all. That's silly :lol: She looks far from it!

shawnathezombie
15th Nov 2011, 00:44
i miss the old lara with circular glasses :(

phatpantz
10th Jun 2012, 11:13
I think there are scenes in the 'Crossroads' trailer where Lara does have a slightly Asian appearance. I noticed this when it was first broadcast. That is because the new Lara in the trailer was designed by Vintage Works who are a Japanese subsidiary of Square Enix. They are involved with Final Fantasy and Deus Ex HE too and you can see the same mixed Asian/Western design in their characters. But, the Lara in the actual game (not the cut scenes) at the E3 conference 2012 does not look Asian. Maybe Crystal Dynamics changed her appearance for the game itself.

Personally, I prefer the Lara from Underworld or Anniversary but most fans seem to like this new Lara. She is beautiful.

Priscillia
10th Jun 2012, 11:39
Personally, I prefer the Lara from Underworld or Anniversary but most fans seem to like this new Lara. She is beautiful.

To me, this new Lara does not look that much Japanese, even within the trailer. We do recognize SE's touch in the trailer, but that's it. Maybe there's a little something in her eyes...
I do prefer Lara from Underworld too, because she still looked a bit cartooned, whereas now she's fully realistic and she lost an important part of her characteristic curves.

By the way, I wonder if her appearance is still going to evolve until the release of the game...

Metalrocks
10th Jun 2012, 12:37
she doesnt look asian to me. she just looks more human/real. her eyes are smaller and not this barbie looking face she had in underworld. i actually dislike her face in underworld.
but now this lara. now thats a face i like to look at :)
her skin seams to be a little darker though (and i dont mean the dirt on her) but doesnt mean it has something to do with asian heritage.

Priscillia
10th Jun 2012, 12:44
(and i dont mean the dirt on her)

That's what I prefer with this new Lara for sure ^^. NOW she's getting really dirty and bloody while getting into the mud or being hurted :D
Seeing her sweating or freezing would be great too !

Metalrocks
10th Jun 2012, 14:36
That's what I prefer with this new Lara for sure ^^. NOW she's getting really dirty and bloody while getting into the mud or being hurted :D
Seeing her sweating or freezing would be great too !

we saw her in the demo how she was freezing. so i think sweating will be a part as well. unless we are in the water then she gets wet anyway. :p

Gitb97
10th Jun 2012, 20:41
The only thing thats bothered me about Lara's eyes is that they look green. I see no japanese in her.

IvanaKC
10th Jun 2012, 22:40
I thought that Lara looked a little bit Japanese in 'Turning point' trailer, but in 'Crossroads' and E3 demo, she looks nothing like a Japanese person. They improved her looks and it's great, but it still isn't perfect. :)

The only thing thats bothered me about Lara's eyes is that they look green.

I thought they ARE green, aren't they? :scratch:
Let's take a look:

http://i49.tinypic.com/210j1n7.png

http://i50.tinypic.com/30suekw.jpg

I like the fact that her eyes are now green. IMO, that way Lara is more beautiful because green eyes are not that common.

Quolli
10th Jun 2012, 22:59
I think this Lara definitely has some sort of Asian heritage in her.

a_big_house
10th Jun 2012, 23:23
I think Underworld Lara Croft looks like Mechelle Rodriguez

<3

That is all.

The_Hylden
10th Jun 2012, 23:27
I like the fact that her eyes are now green. IMO, that way Lara is more beautiful because green eyes are not that common.

That second picture you posted, also the same as on the banner here, Lara's eyes are as brown as can be. It might be the lighting in that particular shot from the CGI trailer that made them look bluish there, but in all of the screens from the game (just scroll through them in the media section) and probably in the other trailers offered from the game, the eyes are brown.

IvanaKC
11th Jun 2012, 05:29
That second picture you posted, also the same as on the banner here, Lara's eyes are as brown as can be. It might be the lighting in that particular shot from the CGI trailer that made them look bluish there, but in all of the screens from the game (just scroll through them in the media section) and probably in the other trailers offered from the game, the eyes are brown.

It looks green to me. :)

The_Hylden
11th Jun 2012, 06:26
Why do I always seem to find these color debates? Last one was Batman's cape in AA, whether it was dark blue, or black. Found out through them it was dark blue-gray, and it reflected both. AC upped the blue reflection a bit. Before that, and still today, the debate on is Kain green, or yellow, or something else? No, it's finally found out he's a tan/olive.

Anywho, now here we are again.

I took the second pic there from the concept art and brought it into Photoshop, then did the eyedropper test. The eyedropper icon disappeared when I took the print screen on my Mac, so I added a nifty red line to where I did sample the color from and will describe it also.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/pgson/LaraEyesHighlights-1.png

This was taken in the highlight area of her iris. Not the white highlight from the hard light source, but in the brighter ring, nearer to the pupil. I took multiple samples all around, and all come up this light tan in the highlights.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/pgson/LaraEyesMediumRange-1.png

This is the medium area further out from the pupil, but not toward the darker outer ring of the iris. All samples come up about in this medium brown range.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/pgson/LaraEyesShadows-1.png

Finally, this is from the outer part of the iris, where it gets the darkest, or darker. This reddish-brown, to red is what comes up.

No samples anywhere I clicked turned up anything green. Now, I've seen brown eyes with green in them. I've dated a lady who had this feature. There's none of that here. All areas of her irises are unambiguously brown.

JRod108
11th Jun 2012, 06:30
Nothing's wrong with brown eyes, IMO. Lara's eyes have all sorts of different shades of the color to create an interesting dynamic and certainly pop. Nice way to make brown eyes look so interesting when they are normally viewed as a very ordinary color.

Quolli
11th Jun 2012, 07:08
Her eyes look hazel if you ask me

Metalrocks
11th Jun 2012, 15:10
her eyes look very nice. it does have some greenish/brownish color. i guess it depends on the lightning as well.
i personally like her eyes.

IvanaKC
11th Jun 2012, 19:39
@ The Hylden, on that first pic, it's still green to me. You made me open photoshop myself and there are green parts that are visible.

Take a closer look:

tombraidergal
11th Jun 2012, 20:20
Anyway, does it matter all that much? She doesn't look all that different, sure she looks younger and more realistic, but the only Japanese i see in Lara is as the others said: in a bit of the trailer. I don't think she will look all that Japanese in the game. SE may have unintentionally given her an eastern twang, but i just want to play the game because it's tomb raider.
It's not like i won't buy it if she doesn't look particularly 'western'.

Metalrocks
12th Jun 2012, 05:50
lol. maybe in the next game lara will look more south american or african :p

Malaksbane
12th Jun 2012, 17:39
@ The Hylden, on that first pic, it's still green to me. You made me open photoshop myself and there are green parts that are visible.

Interesting.

I don't mean this as critique, you see what you see, but as something interesting. Even though there's a lot more brown then green in there, to your eyes her eyes are green.

OneMorePike
19th Jun 2012, 10:51
I do not think that Lara ever really looked as British girl =) May be it is my mistake, but this is my opinion. And I do not think that now she looks Japaneese )

IvanaKC
20th Jun 2012, 09:26
I do not think that Lara ever really looked as British girl =) May be it is my mistake, but this is my opinion. And I do not think that now she looks Japaneese )

Interesting. Why didn't Lara look British to you before? :scratch:

OneMorePike
20th Jun 2012, 21:05
Interesting. Why didn't Lara look British to you before? :scratch:

It is just my opinion, judjung by classic Lara, her skin looks quite dark, sometimes she looks like Latin woman, especially in Legend. I like her appearance, but when I was a child I was very surprised that she is British. May be it is just because of my Russian view on British, stereotypes and so on.

temirlan
20th Jun 2012, 21:20
I think that for her and in a true in a game there are the Japanese roots,well I hope it not very will strongly be notedly in gameplay

Cristiavano
21st Jun 2012, 01:21
http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac202/justcovers/baby-one-more-time.jpg

When britney was younger, she had some baby fat which seemed to be around her eyes a bit, also lighting plays a huge part in the game.

Metalrocks
21st Jun 2012, 03:17
It is just my opinion, judjung by classic Lara, her skin looks quite dark, sometimes she looks like Latin woman, especially in Legend. I like her appearance, but when I was a child I was very surprised that she is British. May be it is just because of my Russian view on British, stereotypes and so on.

interesting view. dint think laras skin in legend was dark. rather like she had an tan from all her adventures from around the world. at time the lady needs to take a rest as well, why not have a sunbath ;)

latin people have usually darker skin. my ex girlfriend was from peru and her skin was dark, so as her whole family (and let me tell you, its a huge family).

i guess i have to join you with the stereotype thing as well. when i think about british, they have this dialect and are pale.

i think i will sound now like an misinformed idiot about cultures but if you put an american, an australian and an british person next to each other, i honestly woulndt be able to tell the difference until they start to talk.

rafaelluik
21st Jun 2012, 04:04
http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac202/justcovers/baby-one-more-time.jpg

When britney was younger, she had some baby fat which seemed to be around her eyes a bit, also lighting plays a huge part in the game.Interesting...

OneMorePike
21st Jun 2012, 12:39
interesting view. dint think laras skin in legend w
i think i will sound now like an misinformed idiot about cultures but if you put an american, an australian and an british person next to each other, i honestly woulndt be able to tell the difference until they start to talk.

Yeah, you are absolutely right!:D
I agree with you. And it was really interesting to know about latin people, maybe I have never saw them in real life))))

Driber
22nd Jun 2012, 20:25
Yes, she does.

http://officialtombraiderblog.tumblr.com/post/25652213649/fanart-tomb-raider-2012-by-ppleong-i-adore-this

:D

MeaganMarie
22nd Jun 2012, 20:46
Yes, she does.

http://officialtombraiderblog.tumblr.com/post/25652213649/fanart-tomb-raider-2012-by-ppleong-i-adore-this

:D

HA! I knew someone would post that in this thread! That's just one artist's interpretation of Lara, though. :P

Metalrocks
23rd Jun 2012, 12:54
lol. nice drawing. but the eyes have to be bigger for japanese :p

Driber
30th Jul 2012, 11:00
HA! I knew someone would post that in this thread! That's just one artist's interpretation of Lara, though. :P

hehe I know. I myself don't see anything Japanese in new Lara's face. I just found it funny and had to post that fan art here :D

Lifeshield
10th Mar 2013, 17:37

Now I'm all for reboots of games but, whether this is a reboot or not, Lara Croft is Lara Croft and Lara Croft is British aswell as her parents. The day Lara Croft becomes half Japanese or half American, or whatever else anyone might suggest, is the day I would never buy another Tomb Raider game ever again.

Lara's a British icon.

She is. To change Laras heritage would be the worst thing that Crystal Dynamics could ever do. She has a road named after her over here for gods sake, lol.

And for the record I don't think she looks Asian in the slightest. She just looks younger.

DrCroft
10th Mar 2013, 20:48
When I first saw the pictures of the reboot I thought she looked a little final fantasyish, which isn't that surprising with SE being involved. British people have many roots and throwbacks in genes so we are quite a varied bunch :p , she is still very British though, especially in this reboot.

Keiichi81
10th Mar 2013, 20:53
Not at all. In the CG cinematics - particularly in the opening cinema when she's looking at herself in the mirror (http://www.abload.de/img/lara-croft-tomb-raide8yk4u.jpg) - she looks caucasian with a hint of hispanic to me. And in the initial concept art (http://www.tombraider.cn/user/tombraider/photo/tuku/TombRaider9/tuku/%E6%A6%82%E5%BF%B5%E5%9B%BE/%E8%89%BA%E6%9C%AF%E5%9B%BE-%E4%BA%BA%E7%89%A9-06.jpg), she looks caucasian mixed with native American or arabic to me. In-game she just looks like an ordinary white girl. But nowhere have I ever seen a hint of Japanese or any other asian ethnicity in her.

TombRaider4EVERT
10th Mar 2013, 21:20
I really don't think so. Now if were talking about "Legend" Lara, than yes; 2013 Lara is a no...

TheManInTheAlley
10th Mar 2013, 21:25
She looks Caucasian with a little ethnicity (Venezuelan? something South American or maybe Sicilian) thrown in, but no, not Japanese.

Though we all think we're turning Japanese now and again.

oldboy2003
10th Mar 2013, 21:46
why was the link removed in the OP and how come Natla is on permanent vacation? Did i miss something?:scratch:

Salah-ad Din
10th Mar 2013, 23:30
http://www.modelmayhem.com/756494

That's the model used for Laras face. Well...not very asian imho. ^^

littlecats
11th Mar 2013, 00:20
Lara's new look makes me think of Kaylee from Firefly the series and the movie Serenity. Here is a link of the actress.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewel_Staite

Valenka
11th Mar 2013, 00:32
Lara looks Japanese?

gnwwaj_Untitled-1.gif

Salah-ad Din
11th Mar 2013, 09:09
Lara's new look makes me think of Kaylee from Firefly the series and the movie Serenity. Here is a link of the actress.

Absolutely. She too has two eyes, hair on the head, nose, lips. Perfect resemblence. lol :D

Well I guess a 100 people will have a 100 opinions about that. But like I wrote, there is only one official face model that was used, so there ya go. ;)

RybatGrimes
11th Mar 2013, 09:11
Beta Lara looked a little Asian in the eyes, but ever since they changed her, I think she looks fine. How anyone could think she looks Japanese is beyond me. :p

littlecats
11th Mar 2013, 09:49
Absolutely. She too has two eyes, hair on the head, nose, lips. Perfect resemblence. lol :D

Well I guess a 100 people will have a 100 opinions about that. But like I wrote, there is only one official face model that was used, so there ya go. ;)

:D When I watched the video that played at the first camp when Lara was talking to that guy, it reminded me of a episode in firefly where Kaylee acted the same way. Plus I have really bad face identifying skills. :)

Tallantis
11th Mar 2013, 10:49

Kudos! ;) I think Lara looks like a typical european girl. A bit of cat eyes but not realy an evidence for anime style. Japanese games have an other character. Most of them have anime/manga looking characters, some others have a the problem with male characters, where the women look typical western, but the men look realy feminine. Tomb Raider don't have any of this problems/styles imo. The Women are looking like normal girls typical for their country of origin. TR is realy multicultural. And the men are also looking normal.

No...xD

Do you all still think that SE buying Eidos was a good thing?

OT: They brought all the Eidos games to the new era and every one was fine, so yeah it was not only a good thing, it was a perfect one. And I can't wait for the reboot of Thief 4 and Soul Reaver. ;)

Bokoblin23
11th Mar 2013, 10:58
No. Her eyes are just not huge like those anime inspired characters in games today. Her character model is supposed to look realistic, not like an anime.

Salah-ad Din
11th Mar 2013, 11:04
In comparison to the original face model her eyes are actually a bit smaller.

kiadaw
11th Mar 2013, 13:32
Let it go guys. Those who say Lara looks like so & so should travel a little more & took off racial stereotyping glasses. A lot of Russians I know & met have the so call Asian feature, though they are "technical white" with fair colored eyes & hair.

Alot of Western girls have a little almond shaped eyes as well, just like many Asian have natural wide eyes as well. We are after all the same & only human species.

EowynFan
11th Mar 2013, 19:32
I think it's just kind of a thing that can be attached to Square Enix, some of the characters they worked with had a Japanese-like look, so I can certainly see one seeing Square Enix associated and begin to see something in the character that is not really there just because they almost expect it to be present. Personally, I don't see Lara as looking Japanese at all, she looks just like a caucasian British girl to me.

Tallantis
11th Mar 2013, 22:40
I think it's just kind of a thing that can be attached to Square Enix, some of the characters they worked with had a Japanese-like look, so I can certainly see one seeing Square Enix associated and begin to see something in the character that is not really there just because they almost expect it to be present. Personally, I don't see Lara as looking Japanese at all, she looks just like a caucasian British girl to me.

Yeah self fullfilling prophecy xD

Jurre
11th Mar 2013, 22:56
Even Sam doesn't look all that Asian to me, even though she is supposed to (or half-Asian I guess) let alone Lara.

a_big_house
11th Mar 2013, 22:58
^ She does in concept, but in game, I agree with you on that :)

Croftwannbe
1st Apr 2013, 03:15
I just read all of your post and glad most of people don't agree with this.

This bother me for a long time already and i believe the tittle refer as "Does new Lara look Japanese anime manga?" HELL NO!!!!! Lara Croft is a UK national treasure there is no way just because Square Enix bought Eidos so they can use their "Final Fetish" stuff (YA I JUST SAID THAT!:thud:) to ruin Tomb Raider.

God , i really hate Anime and Manga not just the way they looks (spike hair and stupid giant sword and oversize freak eyes) but also the way they act and talk are very disgraceful ,manga story are very stupid too always about hot-blood iditos and unrealistic friendship or others crap:mad2:

I was very worry about Square Enix take over Eidos because i really don't like Japanese stuff ,I live at Taiwan which is locate at south of Japan and in here full with Japanese video games ,show and Manga/Anime crap it's poison our mind! Those Japanese style story make this wolrd sounds so beautiful which is unrealistic and absolute not ture ,they did stupid thing like name their super power move and scream battle cry like a BOZO!

Anyway as i said before i was worry about Square Enix take over Eidos ,but than i read this from Life President of Eidos Interactive---Ian Livingstone

http://gamingbolt.com/interview-with-ian-livingstone-life-president-of-eidos-interactive

Concerning your role in Eidos, because you started the company from the beginning all the way till now…How has that journey been, moving not just from one generation to another but through at least four or five different generations?

Game companies reach a certain stage where you can no longer get by on your own and clearly you need other skills, other management skills…You need financial capital behind you in order to expand. You need a rich capital to experiment and…you know I play one part in that. I’ve seen and been at the beginning of two companies before Eidos with Games Workshop in a flat in Shepherd’s Bush with an old school friend. And we sold out that to a management buyout. And this time, we floated Eidos and…clearly, every time you raise capital, your own equity reduces, and Eidos was ultimately bought by Square in Japan.

And yeah my role these days is largely ambassadorial, and we clearly share the same vision as the senior management of Square Enix. Eidos has always been about creating original IP as we did at Games Workshop with Warhammer and Spacehawk and Space Marine, etc. In Eidos, we had Tomb Raider, Hitman, Deus Ex, and Thief, Legacy of Kain and Championship Manager. And Square Enix also has that same philosophy with Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. IT’s great to be part of an even bigger team which has global reach and built up the distribution and development. Square Enix didn’t acquire Eidos just to move IP back to Japan to make Japanese content.

Quite the opposite, they saw the skill that existed in our 3 premiere studios Crystal Dynamics, Eidos Montreal and IO Interactive. And also saw some of the amazing content we created over the years and they just wanted to make sure that they’ll have the right capital base to ensure that those AAA titles being developed were genuine AAA titles when they were published. So they went the extra mile to particularly make sure it’s the game it as to be.

Have there ever been any changes that Square Enix has made with these franchises that maybe you didn’t agree with or that just felt like a completely different philosophy than what you started the franchise with?

No, Square Enix has been brilliant and afforded creative autonomy. Of course, with games like Tomb Raider, that creative autonomy now rests with Crystal Dynamics itself, so they’d be totally responsible for the creation of the concept to the development of the entire product with the new Tomb Raider. And I must say they’ve done a brilliant job and I can only congratulate them from where I sit.

It's kind of relief for me ,if CEO of Eidos believe Square Enix won't ruin the British video games i believe there must be wisdom,Tomb Raider is British video game ,not Japanese

But still i'm kind of sad to see Eidos seem almost gone (like...defunct) ,ya i know Eidos went to Square Enix Europe now but it doesn't seem fair to defunct Eidos it's a long history mark for all Tomb Raider fan and i notice they remove eidos.com and link it to Sqaure Enix website ,also twitter of old Eidos seem no longer active so does facebook page ,DAMN! I only been Tomb Raider fan for 5 years but i do not wish history been erase.:(

Also i don't want this reboot erase everything happen before in Tomb Raider ,it's not fair for all diehard Tomb Raider fans.:confused:

kiadaw
1st Apr 2013, 08:40
Off topic a little. I think CD & Eidos should join forces for the next TR game.

Driber
1st Apr 2013, 09:02
Off topic a little. I think CD & Eidos should join forces for the next TR game.

Eidos was a publisher that is Square Enix now. CD is a dev studio. Not really sure what you mean by "join forces".

BeachCamp
1st Apr 2013, 13:26
Lara doesn't look Japanese or Asian for that matter.

Croftwannbe
1st Apr 2013, 14:39
No i don't think i really get off topic it's all about that question "Did she looks like anime?"
And the answer is NO ,i explain this with Square Enix and Eidos parentship ,all SQUARE ENIX did is pay the money than took the profit than let Crystal Dynamics do the job ,and i believe they did not interfer the creative (or i hope so)

rafaelluik
1st Apr 2013, 16:54
Now after playing the game a little I think Lara is looking somewhat like before but younger. She haven't lost all the traces after all...

And about Square Enix... Hey, they bought Crystal Dynamics, I presume 95% of people working on previous games are now Square Enix employees and made this game also together with some new people.

JaxGames
1st Apr 2013, 16:59
She doesn't look Japanese at all .I don't where this is coming from.

GhostInTheShell
1st Apr 2013, 17:04
I think that the in-game Lara kinda had some asian traits. At least (for me) she was more exotic looking than typical caucasian looking.

CakeLuv
1st Apr 2013, 17:09
She looked asian in the 2011 demo and in the Wolf leaked demo ::nut: But the new one doesn't D:

Croftwannbe
1st Apr 2013, 17:39
Now after playing the game a little I think Lara is looking somewhat like before but younger. She haven't lost all the traces after all...

And about Square Enix... Hey, they bought Crystal Dynamics, I presume 95% of people working on previous games are now Square Enix employees and made this game also together with some new people.

Ya but it's also very sad Square Enix lay off some employees from Eidos as well. Life never fair.:(

GUMI
1st Apr 2013, 17:40
Isn't Lara Japanese??
I could swear to god that i heard her say "Ni-Chaow ching chong"
DDDDDDDDDD:

DarlinG
1st Apr 2013, 17:45
Isn't Lara Japanese??
I could swear to god that i heard her say "Ni-Chaow ching chong"
DDDDDDDDDD:

I think that's Chinese for you are doing it wrong :lol:

Croftwannbe
1st Apr 2013, 17:48
NO SHE IS NOT DAMMIT LOL
Ni-Chaow ching chong...you mean一笑千秋?
....never mind:lol:

meimeiriver
1st Apr 2013, 20:14

Lara, Japanese?! そんなことないよ

Seriously, no way Lara looks Japanese! Not even a bit.

Javalt 117
1st Apr 2013, 23:17
Lara, Japanese?! そんなことないよ

Seriously, no way Lara looks Japanese! Not even a bit.

Agreed, I don't understand why this is still being discussed...